hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyle and Scott

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Lyle and Scott

Anybody seen this in the Hibernian news letter?

Lyle and Scott Hibs clothing

Part of the vintage thing theyre doing

2. Log in to remove the advert

Everyone has got Lyle and Scott on these days, that and G star jeans, can no one think for themselves these days, gadgy material if I have ever seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone has got Lyle and Scott on these days, that and G star jeans, can no one think for themselves these days, gadgy material if I have ever seen it.
    I don't wear either brand you mention, so factually incorrect......

Left by mutual consent!

Its only gadgy gear on gadgys,shirley.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Not me. I prefer George at Asda or F&F from Tesco.
    Charity shops are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Delabooze View Post
    I don't wear either brand you mention, so factually incorrect......
    My mistake, I should have said majority of people, I dont ware it either so that makes two lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    Not me. I prefer George at Asda or F&F from Tesco.
    Charity shops are good too.
    More of a Primark man myself.

@hibs.net private member millarco's Avatar
    Anyone got any pictures? Might be interested if it was something subtle, but most club leisure wear is shocking IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by millarco View Post
    Anyone got any pictures? Might be interested if it was something subtle, but most club leisure wear is shocking IMO.
    George at Asda

F&F at Tesco

This is what you were looking for, wasn't it?

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Promoting nedwear in a clubshop? Shirley not. We need to get some Abercrombie stuff in

Brutus jeans......that's where it's at.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders

Pretty much every third person in a nightclub is wearing what you've described.

First Team Breakthrough Supraninja's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: liamRnumber1
    Ew.. chav clothes

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Lyle & Scott stuff is no bad, its not chavy its smart casual clothes, ok its popular at the moment but theres nothing wrong with that.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria1875 View Post
    Lyle & Scott stuff is no bad, its not chavy its smart casual clothes, ok its popular at the moment but theres nothing wrong with that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

No being funny but my Dad wears Lyle & Scott jumpers coz he is a golfer. Comparing the quality of some of his jumpers (which will be a fair few years old), with the L&S jumpers being sold in the "designer" shops just now is staggering. As he would say, "You could spit peas through them", the new ones are so thin.

T'is a shame when a smart brand becomes infested by neds. Fred Perry polos went the same way but I think they're gradually clawing their way back.

Still think the new 'HFC' fashion range will be a profitable move by Hibs, though. It'll never beat the Romanov Revolution brand, though.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

No being funny but my Dad wears Lyle & Scott jumpers coz he is a golfer. Comparing the quality of some of his jumpers (which will be a fair few years old), with the L&S jumpers being sold in the "designer" shops just now is staggering. As he would say, "You could spit peas through them", the new ones are so thin.

thats ok for me, i dont want to wear a wooly jumper when im out on the lash, a t shirt and v neck top does nicely

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

thats ok for me, i dont want to wear a wolly jumper when im out on the lash, a t shirt and v neck top does nicely
    Seen plenty wearing the jumpers, mate.

any linkage? (toolazytogooglesmilie)

Lyle and Scott did jumpers for Club 86 back in Ian Brennan's days - cost £40 they were smart and warm in winter.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Seen plenty wearing the jumpers, mate.

that doesnt matter though does it

all im saying is its not chav wear its just popular the now, its funny how folk are ripping into it for just being popular calling it "chav wear", trends come and go and no doubt what ever the next brand is (iv seen a few luke tops springing up) will be called chave wear as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

that doesnt matter though does it

all im saying is its not chav wear its just popular the now, its funny how folk are ripping into it for just being popular calling it "chav wear", trends come and go and no doubt what ever the next brand is (iv seen a few luke tops springing up) will be called chave wear as well.
    I get the feeling that we're both arguing about different things here. I never said it was chav wear, my point was that it has become popular and the quality of the item is not the same as it was in days gone by.

People can wear what they want, it is of no concern to me. I love my Stone Island jackets, if that makes me a chav, so be it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I get the feeling that we're both arguing about different things here. I never said it was chav wear, my point was that it has become popular and the quality of the item is not the same as it was in days gone by.

People can wear what they want, it is of no concern to me. I love my Stone Island jackets, if that makes me a chav, so be it.

i was making a general point because the chav wear seems to be the theme of the thread, but over the years everything seems to be of a poorer quality when you think about it, clothes in general are not made as well as they used to be, probably something to do with mass production and different matirials, although some clothes are made to be like that - football tops for example are lighter than they used to be in the 70's for example because now the are specificly designed to keep you cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyF View Post
    T'is a shame when a smart brand becomes infested by neds. Fred Perry polos went the same way but I think they're gradually clawing their way back.
    How are they any different to any other polo shirt (badge aside) ?
    To me they all look the same

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Chav wear or not - and L&S is a decent brand that, like Burberry before it, has prob suffered by becoming too 'in' (or arguably affordable) - if the club cash in on the brand's popularity then this can only be good for Hibs.

L&S was cooler when it was uncool and Ronnie Corbett was their biggest customer - tis a bit too common now. For me though, I just wish we were visionary enough to put out something like this...

The Savile Row of football merchandise

Last edited by Baader; 24-09-2009 at 11:07 PM.

It is currently being worn by alot of chav's nobody can deny that. Just an unfortunate scenario. It's a great brand with great history making simple, clean, affordable clothing thats also pretty good quality. As someone pointed out the neds just jump on something at once. Burberry a few years back, I reckon Fred Perry within the next couple of years and there will be more. At the end of the day it's just an eagle badge which in itself is no more offensive than the Ralph Lauren Polo player, the Lacoste crocodile or the Fred Perry crest. The problem lies with the people wearing it not the clothing itself

As for the quality difference compared to the jumpers in the 80s it's quite simple. The product has to be sourced nowadays and isn't made in Hawick like it was originally. To make the product in Hawick a lambswool V neck would be about £150 to £200 in the shops, trickier things like an argyle cardigan would be £250ish. Also the fact the Hawick factory could never keep up with the production numbers they do nowadays.

When Lyle & Scott Vintage (re) launched about 5 years ago the lambswool jumpers were still made in Hawick but over the last 3 years or so it's become impossible to carry on with UK made product.
    FWIW I think the lambswool jumpers are still excellent quality (they are the ones with the code starting MT) as are the polo shirts.

Does anyone have a link to this info or able to cut and paste from the newsletter?

First Team Breakthrough SvenNeil's Avatar
    From today's newsletter:

Hibernian FC's new fashion label hits the Clubstore racks next week as the first HFC Originals lines are unveiled. The Club has listened to supporter feedback and developed a full range of merchandise that focuses on subtle branding based on the original Hibernian badge and iconography as its defining features.

Starting from only £9.99 and covering limited range Famous Five tees and hoodies, through to a unique selection of luxury Lyle & Scott pullovers and polos, HFC Originals is designed to cover all age groups and styles. Watch out for more HFC Originals information and imagery via the Club website soon.

I wonder what our resident fashion meister Dashing Bob S has to add to the fashion debate?

As for me - I'll stick with cheapest clothing money can buy. The OP has expensive tastes that I could never afford...

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    So whats a Lyle & Scott V kneck and a Clitoris got in common then?

It's funny as for ages Lyle and Scott was a classier version of a Pringle simply because more people had Pringle's (this was 1984 mind).

More recently Lyle and Scott have realised that casuals made it trendy in the 80s so capitalised on the cool factor and reintroduced the jumpers and polo shirts etc.

It all used to be made in Scotland - hopefully at least some of the knitwear still is.

I'd happily wear a Lyle & Scott cashmere jumper. Not with a Hibs badge on it though.

(Just read the email - If the Hibs badge is subtle as they say then a polo shirt could be good, well done Hibs for getting some decent stuff in, although I'd happily pay double for some that is made in Scotland)
    Last edited by joe breezy; 25-09-2009 at 07:32 AM.