hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Overdue Praise For McBride

We like our scapegoates at Hibs and with Rankin and Nish in our squad who can blame us?

However, Kevin McBride was earmarked by many to be made an immediate scapegoat when we signed him and I think it's time there some recognition for this guy.

I didn't know much about him when he signed but I heard all the negative 'McHide' comments and feared the worst.

For me, he's been the standout player of the first six games. He puts in a power of work, rarely wastes a pass, strong in the tackle, plays nice simple passes, protects the backline and is often the one making last ditch challenges when the opposition have got in behind us. He was the same in the pre-season games.

So well done from me, McBride. He may not be a 'flair player' but he's exactly what we needed in that position.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We like our scapegoates at Hibs and with Rankin and Nish in our squad who can blame us?

However, Kevin McBride was earmarked by many to be made an immediate scapegoat when we signed him and I think it's time there some recognition for this guy.

I didn't know much about him when he signed but I heard all the negative 'McHide' comments and feared the worst.

For me, he's been the standout player of the first six games. He puts in a power of work, rarely wastes a pass, strong in the tackle, plays nice simple passes, protects the backline and is often the one making last ditch challenges when the opposition have got in behind us. He was the same in the pre-season games.

So well done from me, McBride. He may not be a 'flair player' but he's exactly what we needed in that position.
    Well said that man
    This is how it feels

McBride has the same running gait of Pat Stanton

He also lifts his head in the same manner

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir

Agree with your assessment of McBride but am sure I've seen some positive posts about him on a few occasions since the begining of the season.

He does a lot of good work and is an integral part of the team for me.

First Team Breakthrough

Could not agree more.......McBride has been excellent,long may it continue!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Agree

All this "my mate is a Falkirk ST holder and was glad to get rid of him" is just ridiculous, glad he's proved them wrong

Personally I think he's gash, in the games I've seen this season I've struggled to notice him do anything other than pick up a card or two but then I would use that assessment for our entire midfield - other than Wotherspoon and MAYBE Rankin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrplunk View Post
    Could not agree more.......McBride has been excellent,long may it continue!!

Second that.
    Yogi seems to have made good signings.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    Personally I think he's gash, in the games I've seen this season I've struggled to notice him do anything other than pick up a card or two but then I would use that assessment for our entire midfield - other than Wotherspoon and MAYBE Rankin.

Out of curiosity, how many games would that be and against who?
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many games would that be and against who?
    2, Falkirk and Celtic. From those two games I cannot see where all this praise has come from.

2, Falkirk and Celtic. From those two games I cannot see where all this praise has come from.
    Well it's a game of opinions I guess but I suspect yours will be in the minority. McBride has a specific job to do for Hibs and he does it well IMO.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevitt View Post
    Agree

All this "my mate is a Falkirk ST holder and was glad to get rid of him" is just ridiculous, glad he's proved them wrong
    Dont believe everything you read in the papers and now fans websites. Sooo many wind-ups and mis-information doing the rounds - case in point the alledged incident after the pre-season Dunfy game.

Thankfully we have key credible members who've built up reps and can quash things that get out of hand. Does get a bit tedious at times. Makes you wonder what these folks did before the internet.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 21-09-2009 at 01:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Ive been extremely impressed with Kev's input at hibs. Certainly been sticking the shifts in. Only game i havent witnessed was the Hamilton game and im glad i didnt.
    Hers hoping he can continue his form and gel with Miller in the centre of the park
    Hibernian Football Club

First Team Breakthrough
    Cannot remember McBride giving the ball away against Falkirk and against Celtic again his distribution was first class.Doesn't play many 'world cup willie' passes but highly effective at what he does do. All about opinions though

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrplunk View Post
    Cannot remember McBride giving the ball away against Falkirk and against Celtic again his distribution was first class.Doesn't play many 'world cup willie' passes but highly effective at what he does do. All about opinions though
    I have to disagree. In both games we were second best in midfield, Deek won us the game at Falkirk and against celtic it was deek again that looked our most dangerous. Imo Wotherspoon was the only midfielder that looked good against Celtic.

Mcbride has been excellent at doing the unseen work (and making it be seen). he will never be the most exciting player in the team but covers players caught forward, tracks back and keeps the ball moving without any 'world cup passes'. Football is a simple game and he keeps it simple, just what we need to compliment players like deek, Ant and Zouma.

He more than anything else is the reason we can afford to keep Bamba in defence and drop Hogg. Excellent start to his Hibs Career.

his workrate has been top notch so far this season, if everyone worked as hard as him and Ian Murray we'd be flying

@hibs.net private member
    I really like him. He always puts a shift in and his passing is excellent. He performed really well on Saturday and i think he and Miller will be a decent midfield pairing.

Very pleasantly surprised by McBride. Had him earmarked as the new Brian Hamilton before he kicked ball, so i'm now missing a scapegoat. I need somebody to fill the Brian Kerr role, but nobody has played that consistently badly so far in the campaign. Still, early days.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Very pleasantly surprised by McBride. Had him earmarked as the new Brian Hamilton before he kicked ball, so i'm now missing a scapegoat. I need somebody to fill the Brian Kerr role, but nobody has played that consistently badly so far in the campaign. Still, early days.
    Nish

Probably out of all the signings, he seemed the least inspiring.
    However he's been excellent and I'm glad others think so to.

He's very comfertable taking the ball and making passes, I also like how he looks comfertable both centrally and on the right.

I was very impressed with Cregg when I seen him v St Mirren, I am surprised he's now out of the side, but then with Liam Miller coming in, and Zemmama due to start again, we are in good shape.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Baw187 View Post
    Nish
    And Hogg.

First Team Breakthrough Ginger Gehagan's Avatar
    Think that he's been superb so far. Also, great 40 yard pass onto Stokes chest for the first goal on Saturday shows he can do more than break opposition play up and keep it simple.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    McBride has the same running gait of Pat Stanton

He also lifts his head in the same manner
    Pat was unfortunately before my time, but my uncle said exactly the same. I would be interested to find out what his passing success rate is, I think his distribution is excellent and as was said in another post he very very rarely wastes a pass. also noticed that on the off chance someones strugglin for a pass, McBride is very good at makin himself available.
    All in all an excellent signin, who im reckoning is thriving playing with better players than he was for Falkirk.
    Keep up the good work Kev

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    If he were to run into the spaces ahead of him a bit, and made more cutting passes, then he would be a much better player. However, as an out and out defensive midfielder, there is no denying that he is very good at what he does - especially covering for the fullbacks and making the simple pass.

To be fair, a man playing his position will be judged, sometimes unfairly, on the performance of the players around him. I think he might work well with Miller.

First Team Breakthrough I Love Lamp's Avatar
    He's had a good bit of praise on here for previous performances to be fair.

Has shown an ability to take up a good position, pick the right pass and make it properly.

There's a poster on the EEN website (Private Pike) who goes on about him not making an 'impression' in games.

For me McBride, who I've seen 3 times now, always makes himself available for a pass and links the play across and up the field. He's a good passer, works hard and doesn't hide.

Top marks from me. I was more than half expecting another B.Kerr.

I was disappointed that Hughes had pushed him further forward and alternating with Rankin.His best position is 5 yards in front of the defence where he can see the game in front of him-so he wasn't as effective on Saturday but looks a good signing and has been the most consistent in the team.