hibs.net Messageboard

Thumbs Down Another Boo-Boo From Burley

Sorry if posted elsewhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/8266665.stm

Despite the experience of playing for the national team, I still think we could have done better than that!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Would rather have Gary Mc than Pressley to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeUnderwood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Despite the experience of playing for the national team, I still think we could have done better than that!
    Care to explain your comment

Who would you have picked
    What is wrong with Gary Mac

@hibs.net private member

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Care to explain your comment

Who would you have picked
    What is wrong with Gary Mac
    I would have picked someone with more coaching experience and had a bit more success(He was hardly exceptional in his last job at Leeds!) Perhaps I may have come over a bit too harsh, a coaching role may be ok for him but a whole load of names spring up to mind of people who could just do that role, I do agree with Jevitt in that he's a better choice than Pressley.

@hibs.net private member
    I would have picked someone with more coaching experience and had a bit more success(He was hardly exceptional in his last job at Leeds!)
    Who?

He done ok at Coventry before he had to pack it in and the guy that took over form him at Leeds has hardly et the world alight!

I would have picked someone with more coaching experience and had a bit more success(He was hardly exceptional in his last job at Leeds!) Perhaps I may have come over a bit too harsh, a coaching role may be ok for him but a whole load of names spring up to mind of people who could just do that role, I do agree with Jevitt in that he's a better choice than Pressley.
    While there are no doubt people with more experience who could do the job, who is actually available and willing to do it?

He's an experienced professional who has played at the highest level, he's coached the national team before and knows the score. I'm happy enough with that.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Surprised Burley is being allowed to make appointments like this when it seems his jacket is still on a shoogly peg

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/spor...has.5663625.jp

Unless of course the SFA see McAllister as Burley's replacement and have allowed the appointment so as give him some experience of the international set-up before they Burley. Here's hoping anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    While there are no doubt people with more experience who could do the job, who is actually available and willing to do it?

He's an experienced professional who has played at the highest level, he's coached the national team before and knows the score. I'm happy enough with that.
    Indeedie!

Delighted to see that the plethora of defensive coaches for the team (3) has been reduced to 2 by this appointment. Perhaps now the undoubted qualities of Gary Mac as a midfielder might now rub off on some of our own??

That would be a real step forward

First Team Breakthrough I Love Lamp's Avatar
    I think it's a great choice. McAllister has experience of managing (unlike Pressley) at a decent level (unlike Butcher). We have to realise that most SPL sides would finish high- to mid- table in League 1 at best and adjust our estimations of what constitutes a good record accordingly.

I remember when Jim Gannon got the Motherwell job someone put him bottom of a Manager's Table on a thread on here. I think it's already clear that putting him beneath Eddie May was madness.

On another note, why have the SFA arranged an away friendly in Japan mid-season?
    Imagine how tired all the OF players will be when they return after all that travelling!
    Just another example of the SFA being OF biased!

edit : Just had a thought.......... how many Scotland pull-outs will their be before this game?
    Last edited by 1two; 21-09-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    On another note, why have the SFA arranged an away friendly in Japan mid-season?
    Imagine how tired all the OF players will be when they return after all that travelling!
    Just another example of the SFA being OF biased!

edit : Just had a thought.......... how many Scotland pull-outs will their be before this game?
    George Peat has been offering his thoughts on this very scenario essentially saying the number of call-offs will be polled as a vote of confidence on George Burley.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Lamp View Post
    George Peat has been offering his thoughts on this very scenario essentially saying the number of call-offs will be polled as a vote of confidence on George Burley.

Just read that whole article.

Should we not be asking when Peat should be booted out and not burley?

The man is meant to be SFA President, he sounds more like someone who has phoned into Real Radio phone in.

Either Back Burley or don't and if you don't then surely your part of the blame considering youwere involved in his appointment as boss in the 1st place!?!

Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    Just read that whole article.

Should we not be asking when Peat should be booted out and not burley?

The man is meant to be SFA President, he sounds more like someone who has phoned into Real Radio phone in.

Either Back Burley or don't and if you don't then surely your part of the blame considering youwere involved in his appointment as boss in the 1st place!?!

A more eloquent version of what I thought. My reaction to that article was "The STUPID C***!!"

McAllister's coached to a decent level, that's about the basics you need. Much more importantly, he's actually played at a high standard. It's as much a respect thing - what would the likes of Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown ever learn off Steven Pressley? They will off Gary McAllister.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    McAllister's coached to a decent level, that's about the basics you need. Much more importantly, he's actually played at a high standard. It's as much a respect thing - what would the likes of Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown ever learn off Steven Pressley? They will off Gary McAllister.
    The finer points of how to hold a clip board.

First Team Breakthrough

No it's a boo boo by Gordon Smith......AGAIN

You read about the possible McAllister appointment which is supposed to be Burley's decision......but yet again Gordon Smith can't resist taking center stage to 'pre-announce it'. Why? - Just to show that he's still the big shot?

What a prune, I don't envy Burley having both GS and Peat as his bosses - these two are the most monumental huddies seen at the SFA in decades...and that's saying something.

On the subject of the appointment it's already been said very eloquently that Gary Mac is a very imaginative appointment. I don't know where the OP is coming from - who does he expect to see in the position - SAF?