hibs.net Messageboard

Faxed Back to Kaunas

Why have Newcastle fans appointed themselves chief mourners for Sir Bobby Robson?

This is something that has puzzled me since Sir Bobby's death. Now I know he was a native of the area and managed Newcastle for a few seasons at the end of his career, but as far as I know he never played for them and his successes as a manager were far greater at Ipswich and on the continent. Yet it seems Newcastle immediately took on the mantle of chief mourners despite the fact he was sacked as boss (albeit unfairly IMHO). Should Ipswich not be the UK club with which he is most closely associated? He was there for many years, won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup with them and surely assumed a legendary status there that he never came close to at Newcastle?
    Last edited by Mag7; 20-09-2009 at 02:47 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    I dont think we have appointed ourselves chief mourners tbh. Sir Bobby never hid his love for the club and said it was the highlight of his career getting the chance to manage the club he loved. Even when he was sacked he still came back almost every week to the matches and the fans hold him in the highest regard.

He may have had more sucess at Ipswich but he was Newcastle through and through and the fans feel they have lost one of their own

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    How dare they horrible Newcastle fans mourn him. what a stupid thread

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think we have appointed ourselves chief mourners tbh. Sir Bobby never hid his love for the club and said it was the highlight of his career getting the chance to manage the club he loved. Even when he was sacked he still came back almost every week to the matches and the fans hold him in the highest regard.

He may have had more sucess at Ipswich but he was Newcastle through and through and the fans feel they have lost one of their own
    Cheers.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
    How dare they horrible Newcastle fans mourn him. what a stupid thread
    I wasn't having a go at the fans for mourning him, I just wasn't sure why he seems to be regarded as a Newcastle legend when he did much more as a manager with other clubs.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    I wasn't having a go at the fans for mourning him, I just wasn't sure why he seems to be regarded as a Newcastle legend when he did much more as a manager with other clubs.
    Fair do's, Cameron pretty much hit the nail on the head.