hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Scotland to appeal McFadden booking

'mistaken identity' plea.

...be surprised if they get anywhere with that one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Would they not have to then attribute the booking to Brown which would result in him being suspended?

They should appeal it on the grounds that the referee told McFadden it was for a lack of fair play when Brown won the drop-ball......a rule he has clearly just made up.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Mistaken identity can be used for anything - bookings, red cards, fines etc. It forces them to review the situation.

So they can decide it WAS mistaken identity, but instead of book Brown, simply recind the card, because there was no grounds for it being produced. (I think anyway)

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Is this not all academic, as I see it there is no way we can qualify

I thought the best 8 2nd places in the groups played each other, we are 9th out of 9 at present, with a -9 goal difference to the next placed team who have three points more than us, even if we beat Holland 4-0 then we still need the other team (Hungary) to lose 6-0 at home to their groups bottom placed team.............Or am I missing something?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Would they not have to then attribute the booking to Brown which would result in him being suspended?

They should appeal it on the grounds that the referee told McFadden it was for a lack of fair play when Brown won the drop-ball......a rule he has clearly just made up.
    Reading between the lines, Brown's injury may keep him out of Wednesday anyways, so perhaps it's as well to let him serve the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post

I thought the best 8 2nd places in the groups played each other, we are 9th out of 9 at present, with a -9 goal difference to the next placed team who have three points more than us, even if we beat Holland 4-0 then we still need the other team (Hungary) to lose 6-0 at home to their groups bottom placed team.............Or am I missing something?
    Aye, about 500 posts and a maths degree...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Reading between the lines, Brown's injury may keep him out of Wednesday anyways, so perhaps it's as well to let him serve the ban.

Nevin said as much last night on the highlights show.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Nevin said as much last night on the highlights show.
    Yup, he also used the word Machiavellian. He deserves a yellow card for that alone.

Yup, he also used the word Machiavellian. He deserves a yellow card for that alone.
    Frank Machiavellian? I thought he'd retired? Will he play if McFadden is suspended?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

So Pat's read old Niccolo's wee book?

I like him more and more ....

No chance it'll get overturned. Even if it was mistaken identity there's enough tv evidence, as shown on the highlights last night, to justify the ref giving McFadden a booking. he ran in and pushed a macedonian player - its a harsh booking and they were all at it, but it'll still stand

We're currently 6th out of the second placed teams. All the teams below us have games in hand though so we have to beat Netherlands and hope that the teams below us slip up in their remaining games

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    So Pat's read old Niccolo's wee book?

I like him more and more ....
    Charlie Nick wrote a book? Well, blow me down.... I didn't think he could even read one.

Actually, Doddie, I'm sure you're old enough to remember when Nevin had a double-page spread in the NME, cos he was just so cool. When he went abroad with Chelsea, the rest of the team went to the bar..... Pat went to the museums and galleries.

Must be gay

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

all the other teams woll lose 6points [they dont get any points of the team that finnishes bottom] a draw could be enough to put us in the playoffs

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    In typical Scottish fashion:

The appeal will be successful and McFadden will be cleared to play - Scottish media and fans go into overdrive with anticipation/excitement, forgetting all the pish which has preceded us to this point.

McFadden will start against a young Dutch side, as they rest some of their superstars, having already comfortably qualified - Scottish media/fans will get excited at playing a "weakened" side.

Holland will score early, McFadden will have a stinker, and we'll ultimately lose, starting stories of "so close, yet so far" and "last minute heartbreaks" tag, which we've undeservedly been given in our last 2 qualification campaigns.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    In typical Scottish fashion:

The appeal will be successful and McFadden will be cleared to play - Scottish media and fans go into overdrive with anticipation/excitement, forgetting all the pish which has preceded us to this point.

McFadden will start against a young Dutch side, as they rest some of their superstars, having already comfortably qualified - Scottish media/fans will get excited at playing a "weakened" side.

Holland will score early, McFadden will have a stinker, and we'll ultimately lose, starting stories of "so close, yet so far" and "last minute heartbreaks" tag, which we've undeservedly been given in our last 2 qualification campaigns.
    Spot on. It will be absurd if the 'so close' cr*p gets pedalled out after Wednesday. We have never looked remotely close to qualifying in this campaign. It's another dismal failure, pure and simple, and should be regarded as such once the Dutch finally kill us off.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post

What if the appeal fails, what are the chances of Riordan being called up for back up to Maloney, as he will get the nod if Faddy does not play due to suspension.
    Or i am being silly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    What if the appeal fails, what are the chances of Riordan being called up for back up to Maloney, as he will get the nod if Faddy does not play due to suspension.
    Or i am being silly.
    there's as much chance of Deek getting the call up as there is of David Weir making a comeback at the grand old age of............errrr.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster View Post
    No chance it'll get overturned. Even if it was mistaken identity there's enough tv evidence, as shown on the highlights last night, to justify the ref giving McFadden a booking. he ran in and pushed a macedonian player - its a harsh booking and they were all at it, but it'll still stand
    It was a booking Mcfadden ran into the crowd of players with his hands up,wheather we like it or not he deserved a card!Theres no reason why scott brown should have been booked,but it was bad sportsmanship on his behalf.
    Last edited by Boozy14; 07-09-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    Agree we won't deserve it this campaign, and I doubt anyone will use cos everyone knows we've been rank rotton, but we definitely deserved the "glorious failure" headlines for the 2008 qualification - some great results, and at 1-1 against Italy in the last game we were one goal away from qualification in one of the hardest groups in recent memory. It was a great effort

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozy14 View Post
    It was a booking Mcfadden ran into the crowd of players with his hands up,wheather we like it or not he deserved a card!Theres no reason why scott brown should have been booked,but it was bad sportsmanship on his behalf.
    There is too much of this kick the ball out of play and then pass it back stuff I can understand when a guy has a broken leg or a really bad head knock, too often the ball is kicked out because someone's hair is out of place

Brown was right in going for the ball especially as he was indicating he was going to compete for the ball all along.

Time we got back to the old stramash that comes with a bounce ball
    Last edited by Big90inOz; 07-09-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Or i am being silly.
    Depends...is he home yet

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    LOL Mind Stephen Pearson? That was a laugh.

Agree we won't deserve it this campaign, and I doubt anyone will use cos everyone knows we've been rank rotton, but we definitely deserved the "glorious failure" headlines for the 2008 qualification - some great results, and at 1-1 against Italy in the last game we were one goal away from qualification in one of the hardest groups in recent memory. It was a great effort
    We got beat 2-1

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Most seem to forget that the reason we didn't qualify was because we lost tamely 2-0 in Georgia to a side which had no chance of qualification. The wins over a poor France side made the campaign seem better than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    Most seem to forget that the reason we didn't qualify was because we lost tamely 2-0 in Georgia to a side which had no chance of qualification. The wins over a poor France side made the campaign seem better than it was.
    The 3-1 against Ukraine was decent enough I thought, no pleasing some folk though

Or i am being silly.
    Deek is the only other striker who has the genius to score the goal McFadden scored on Saturday.

Edit: Though I'm not sure he could have run from our own half all the way to the opposition goal

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    Deek is the only other striker who has the genius to score the goal McFadden scored on Saturday.

Edit: Though I'm not sure he could have run from our own half all the way to the opposition goal
    I reckon the only players capable of scoring a goal like that in our squad is the Moroccans.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    We got beat 2-1
    That will be why he said, AT 1-1 we were only one goal away from going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    Spot on. It will be absurd if the 'so close' cr*p gets pedalled out after Wednesday. We have never looked remotely close to qualifying in this campaign. It's another dismal failure, pure and simple, and should be regarded as such once the Dutch finally kill us off.
    Er, apart from now