hibs.net Messageboard

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar

International Week - JAMES McFADDEN, I would NEVER walk away.

I really wish we had more Scottish professionals like McFadden. It pains me to see some the guys retiring or turning there backs on the national team, no matter how good or bad we are, representing your country is the biggest thing you can do as a footballer and I have never understood the likes of Boyd and the others not wanting to be part of it!!

Well done James, know come on Scotland pull out of the bag!!!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...-Scotland.html

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wish we had more Scottish professionals like McFadden. It pains me to see some the guys retiring or turning there backs on the national team, no matter how good or bad we are, representing your country is the biggest thing you can do as a footballer and I have never understood the likes of Boyd and the others not wanting to be part of it!!

Wonder if the difference in attitude is anything to do with Faddy having never played for The Uglies and therefore retaining a wider perspective on things.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Maybe I'm a traditionalist and times have moved on but there was a time when people would have been saying so what??! to this story.

It used to be taken as read that players want to play for their country. Sad reflection on how we've "developed" - is the money sloshing around doing good or harm I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post

Well said yourself, and McFadden. But expect a string of posts along the currently fashionable "don't give a toss about Scotland" lines in reply.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Absolutely correct. when you look at the number of fans, not to mention all the guys who play football regularly, at any level, and would LOVE to wear their country's shirt, it amazes me that anyone would turn down the chance.

Never understood that one at all.

Even though I was possibly the worst player on the planet, never getting much past 5-a-sides, I remember the depressing feeling when I realised I was too old to play for Scotland! Being crap I could handle, but too old....
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Wonder if the difference in attitude is anything to do with Faddy having never played for The Uglies and therefore retaining a wider perspective on things.
    Totally agree and I would throw Scottish kids who choose to play for Ireland into that also. The Old Firm attitude and the enormous associated religious and political baggage are a cancer in this country and dont help the National team, the game in general and indeed society, one iota.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The apathy of the current squad is part of the reason I don't care so much about Scotland just now as I used to. It's a catch-22 though, as the lack of care/interest from some players, combined with "injuries" means that we're left with dross.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It seems to me, the only players who give up playing for Scotland, are rangers players. Has there been anyone who has retired early thats played for any other club?

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post
    Well said yourself, and McFadden. But expect a string of posts along the currently fashionable "don't give a toss about Scotland" lines in reply.

.......don't give a toss about Scotland
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    Absolutely correct. when you look at the number of fans, not to mention all the guys who play football regularly, at any level, and would LOVE to wear their country's shirt, it amazes me that anyone would turn down the chance.

Even though I was possibly the worst player on the planet, never getting much past 5-a-sides, I remember the depressing feeling when I realised I was too old to play for Scotland! Being crap I could handle, but too old....

Yup, passion is passion mate, I had the opportunity to represent Scotland at 16's and 18's level and even manage to score the winner against Wales in a tense 2-1 encounter and it is the best feeling in the world standing on the pitch singing the flower of Scotland and then to top it off with a goal, I think the money issue has spoiled and clubs like Rangers and Celtic put pressure on there players not to get injured (i.e retire or pull out of games.) which is a crime to the professional.

Think the point in this interview was that it was a Sun exclusive, disputing what McFadden was alleged to have said in The Daily Record recently.

Unsurprisingly, given it was the Record (and, in particular, written by the esteemed Keith Jackson) the headline, sub-headline and lengthy introduction all made out that McFadden was about to chuck it. His quotes said nothing of the sort - another indication of the contempt the Record has for the national team and George Burley.

Whatever anyone thinks about Burley, guys like Jim Traynor haven't given him a chance from the off.

The tabloids in this country sicken me.

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post

I'm still playing 5's and 11's in the vain hope it may yet happen although I'm probably more skilled with a pint in my hand than a ball at my feet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Think the point in this interview was that it was a Sun exclusive, disputing what McFadden was alleged to have said in The Daily Record recently.

Unsurprisingly, given it was the Record (and, in particular, written by the esteemed Keith Jackson) the headline, sub-headline and lengthy introduction all made out that McFadden was about to chuck it. His quotes said nothing of the sort - another indication of the contempt the Record has for the national team and George Burley.

Whatever anyone thinks about Burley, guys like Jim Traynor haven't given him a chance from the off.

The tabloids in this country sicken me.
    I remember listening to Traynor's phone-in a year ago after the 1st Macedonia game and after the 1st game of qualifying he was on his back. They like to hound folk out their jobs - the same paper done the same thing with John Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    .......don't give a toss about Scotland
    Nor do I