hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wotherspoon/Samaras incident

According to the reporter in the Daily Express(Iain Macfarlane), "David Wotherspoon evaded any punishment for giving Samaras a hefty thump with his shoulder". I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while. The reporter also mentions the incident elsewhere on the sports page and obviously has a bee in his bonnet about it.

I didn't get a good view of the incident but from one replay on the TV it looked like Samaras simply ran into the Hibs player and it was his own fault.

Anyone else get a better view or seen a close up on the TV?

Also noticed that Mowbray was making thinly veiled accusations about Hibs style of play in his after match comments following on from Eddie May's whinges last week.

I can't say as I have seen Hibs being over physical but I wouldn't like to see us picking up a reputation unjustly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    We've been competitive, simple as that.

It's about time we had a Hibs team that can man up when the going gets tough.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

That 'incident' was nothing more than a case of Samaras turning into him.

FACT

I had to laugh at the half time ESPN caption of 'Samaras smashed' - what a load of old ******........

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to the reporter in the Daily Express(Iain Macfarlane), "David Wotherspoon evaded any punishment for giving Samaras a hefty thump with his shoulder". I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while. The reporter also mentions the incident elsewhere on the sports page and obviously has a bee in his bonnet about it.

I didn't get a good view of the incident but from one replay on the TV it looked like Samaras simply ran into the Hibs player and it was his own fault.

Also noticed that Mowbray was making thinly veiled accusations about Hibs style of play in his after match comments following on from Eddie May's whinges last week.

I can't say as I have seen Hibs being over physical but I wouldn't like to see us picking up a reputation unjustly.

I didn't think we were excessively physical yesterday. The player who was most physical without earning a booking was Scott Brown, in the minutes after Zemmamma came on.

i thought it was his hair that whacked him in his eye

i know how sore that can be

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while.
    Following TM's interview, I assumed that Samaras was feeling tired and needing a nap. It's just common sense.

Left by mutual consent!

Lets not forget that the vast majority of the Scottish press need the Old Firm to pay their mortgages! Of course theyre going to make a point of saying Hibs players should have been punished. The Scottish sports media are twats who would starve if they had to work in England. I'm sure your Mr Macfarlane will be angling for a Celtic exclusive by trying to make the ref pro Hibs in his report. What I'd like to know is how much has been made of Killens attempt to get Hogg sent off?! That if anything was worse! I notice BBC sport don't show it in their video highlights. Of course if they did it would make Celtic look particulary bad so maybe Big Tony should just shut his face and get on with it.

Speaking about Mr Mowbray? TV pictures showed him screaming for a foul at McGeadys dive. His argument was that Aiden didn't dive end of. So why hasn't he admitted thinking it was a foul? He was wrong. The ref had no alternative other than to book him. Riding tackles used to be part of the game but you could see when McGeady looked up he was looking for a foul. McGeady was wrong, so was Mowbray. And so are the Glasgow media. Get on with it!

caught the replay at half time and it did look very sore

I don't believe it to be intentional, basically because Samaras was looking at the ground slouched over and turned into Wotherspoons shoulder with his cheek. Wotherspoon didn't exactly try to avoid Samaras, but does he have to

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    I know this won't be popular but I thought at the time (watching on TV) that Wotherspoon deliberately gave him a right good thump after the ball was gone. And looking at the highlights on HI, I still do. Not very nice.

Spoony didnt move his shoulder in anyway from what i can see, just simply kept going past samaras. Samaras smacked his puss on spoony's passing shoulder. END OF.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought it looked like Wotherspoon was anticipating the collision, and rather than doing a McGeady and throwing himself to the ground, he just braced for the contact and came off best.

Nothing in it, IMHO. I mean, you have to go some to deliberately shoulder someone in the face. An elbow, or a fist - fair enough. A shoulder? Nah.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sarf View Post
    I know this won't be popular but I thought at the time (watching on TV) that Wotherspoon deliberately gave him a right good thump after the ball was gone. And looking at the highlights on HI, I still do. Not very nice.

Id agree with this.

Hard to tell for sure though.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Not that I have seen the pictures but weren't the tele boys saying the Samras should have seen that and been able to get out of the way? Mind you, most daily papers are no more than OF fanzines so they need to cater for the audience.

Samaras being a Celtic player naturally expected young Wotherspoon to get out of his way.Very big mistake.Noticeable that Samaras didn't go seeking retribution.Any young player coming into a team has to let it be known that he won't be messed around.Doesn't mean you have to foul or be dirty-just stand your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    We've been competitive, simple as that.

It's about time we had a Hibs team that can man up when the going gets tough.
    i'd agree with that, falkirk used to be similar under Hughes, not dirty but competitive when required, as you say it's about time!

Samaras was running blind, turned round and whack, right into Wotherspoon's shoulder, tit.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Samaras was running one way, Spooney the other, both were looking at the ball. Complete accident

I see no problem. He was just finishing his check. Bamba did the same not that long after.

A truculent team is a happy team.

First Team Breakthrough Greenway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Samaras was running one way, Spooney the other, both were looking at the ball. Complete accident
    It's true what they say about love being blind. Seen it on interactive, not a chance of it being an accident, he was a very lucky/stupid lad. We can do without any of that nonsense.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    i thought it was his hair that whacked him in his eye

i know how sore that can be

Is it? I will have to take your word for it

Left by mutual consent!
    Should've hit him harder..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Thats what I saw live..they were sort of crossing with David heading to the box to cover move and Samaras heading for the corner to support move....Nae Slippers please

Left by mutual consent!
    Christ a wee barge and people are going radio rental.

Yogi's right, we will be playing football with slippers on in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    It's true what they say about love being blind. Seen it on interactive, not a chance of it being an accident, he was a very lucky/stupid lad. We can do without any of that nonsense.
    Yer right

If one of them had done that to a Hibs player, we would have had at least a seven page thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    My thoughts when I saw it in real time and again on the replays.

Made no attempt to get out the way and knew what he was doing. Was expecting a card to be produced and IMHO was lucky to escape unpunished.

Samaras

My son says this and I had to agree on 20 grand as week and if you seen him on the street you would put money in his hand - what a tramp

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    My thoughts when I saw it in real time and again on the replays.

Made no attempt to get out the way and knew what he was doing. Was expecting a card to be produced and IMHO was lucky to escape unpunished.

What game were you watching ? Why do you clowns go radio rental about a pure accidental coming to-gether of two players during a game .

Please grow up

Left by mutual consent!
    "reporter" who did the marks out of 10 for the players in todays' Herald complained about the challenge. The reporter is a mammary gland, tho' ... he ridicules the contribution of each Hibs player, whilst praising all the celtc ones.

Well done Spoony.

It's not a foul when you don't get caught bedwetters.....

I'd like to see the love guru play some Sunday league if he's all pooved out over that one! What a fud.