hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough machibby's Avatar

Yogi's post match interview

Was a bit miffed at this interview, where he seems keen to stand up for Mcgeady. The other flip of the coin might have been the ref bought the dive and carded Hanlon. Just can't see why he couldn't give the ref credit for seeing the dive and going by the book. Good to see a strong ref take on the OF

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    I don't think he stands up for anyone. Just says football is a mans game and you need to get on with it. I like Yogi because he does not dwell on things. Moves on and prefers to concentrate on the future.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I think he was just being diplomatic. He will also be aware that Celtc bumped their gums last week and are now looking a bit silly. Imagine he stuck the boot in and zouma takes a dive in a couple of weeks. Mowbray on the other hand.........

he's calling it as he see's it i guess.

Testimonial Due
    I wasted 10 minutes on the celtic forum. They have a big soft spot for Yogi even now as the tells it as it is and is very honest.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Yogi was just rambling. Seemed almost at one point to be arguing that Hanlon shouldn't have been booked for just touching McGeady. Also said that diving isn't a problem in England or Scotland - only foreigners do it apparently.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yogi was just rambling. Seemed almost at one point to be arguing that Hanlon shouldn't have been booked for just touching McGeady. Also said that diving isn't a problem in England or Scotland - only foreigners do it apparently.
    Well, McGeadie is foreign. He's Irish don't you know!

Well McGreedy does proclaim to be Irish

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Think.

Yogi is clever.

Mowbray and Celtic look extremely silly after complaining about the Arsenal penalty and today having McGeady sent off for a similar offence.

No doubt, Hibs will have players booked for diving at some point.

Yogi doesn't want to make a rod for his own back by critisising someone else when he knows, KNOWS, it will come back to haunt him.

Yogi - big up.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge® View Post
    Think.

Yogi is clever.

Mowbray and Celtic look extremely silly after complaining about the Arsenal penalty and today having McGeady sent off for a similar offence.

Yogi doesn't want to make a rod for his own back by critisising someone else when he knows, KNOWS, it will come back to haunt him.

Yogi - big up.
    I was listening to the radio in the car thinking for someone often much maligned for being thick he certainly showed how clever he really is.

Think.

Yogi is clever.

Yogi - big up.
    Spot on. Clever stuff from Yogi.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Spot on. Clever stuff from Yogi.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking articulate=clever, end of story. Yogi might not have the best grammar or whatever, but he is a very intelligent man IMHO.

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he came across well. Did not dwell on the incident. I hate it when people think he is thick because of his working class dialogue and Leith accent. He is an astute intelligent individual who thinks what he is saying unlike Mogga who acted like a child.

Think.

Yogi is clever.

Yogi - big up.

That's how I read it too - very very diplomatic from Yogi

Talk about about rambling.Yogi could,nt hold a candle to you.He gave an honest answer and you,ve put your negative spin on on it.Was at the game and heard his interview and thought ot was great to hear a manager not be moaning in general.Unlike Mowbray who had had the chance to watch it, refused but then moaned.Love Yogi,s attittude and honesty, hope it continues.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 65bd® View Post
    I was listening to the radio in the car thinking for someone often much maligned for being thick he certainly showed how clever he really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking articulate=clever, end of story. Yogi might not have the best grammar or whatever, but he is a very intelligent man IMHO.
    Both spot on.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    Talk about about rambling.Yogi could,nt hold a candle to you.He gave an honest answer and you,ve put your negative spin on on it.Was at the game and heard his interview and thought ot was great to hear a manager not be moaning in general.Unlike Mowbray who had had the chance to watch it, refused but then moaned.Love Yogi,s attittude and honesty, hope it continues.
    But Yogi was moaning too. Moaning about how McGeady getting sent off denied spectators the opportunity to see his talent and denied his players the chance to test themselves against the best. Moaning that fitba is no longer a man's game and players will have to play in slippers to avoid getting booked.

I never said his answers weren't honest. I said they were rambling. Not saying he's not an intelligent man, but today wasn't his finest, most focused interview performance. For example, the implication of his argument about McGeady being talented was that talented players shouldn't get sent off for things that less talented players get sent off for.

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post

Very intelligent football man

Quote Originally Posted by Badge the Hibee View Post
    Very intelligent football man

Think.

Yogi is clever.

Yogi - big up.
    I understand what you're saying here but surely if there is a diving controversy involving a Hibs player at some point in the future, Yogi can just criticise the player concerned.

I know I would, if it was one of my players.

Anyone who dives, spits, headbutts etc. should be exposed and criticised from all quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I understand what you're saying here but surely if there is a diving controversy involving a Hibs player at some point in the future, Yogi can just criticise the player concerned.

I know I would, if it was one of my players.

Anyone who dives, spits, headbutts etc. should be exposed and criticised from all quarters.
    The player has been exposed. He was sent off for diving.

There is no need for Yogi to get involved. He can't achieve anything by slating the player, he can only make enemies.

Discretion. It's a good thing.

Footnote. Remember Yogi wouldn't have been sure that it was a dive. At the time I thought Hanlon had fouled him. I'm still not sure.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough Greenway's Avatar
    Not only was Yogi not rambling, he was talking sense. McGeedy should not have been booked for something that most players do from time to time. If it was in the penalty box I could understand, but simply to ignore him and play on seemed the much better option.

I know not everyone will agree, but I say this looking at the bigger picture were players will now need to be sent off in almost every game for anticipating tackles that don't come. Then of course, we will have inconsistency from referees, and even more for us fans to kick off about. I'm not suggesting that this wee boy didn't cheat, just that this is yet another initiative will cause more problems than it will solve

I think that they've just made a rod for their own backs.

There is no need for Yogi to get involved. He can't achieve anything by slating the player, he can only make enemies.

Footnote. Remember Yogi wouldn't have been sure that it was a dive. At the time I thought Hanlon had fouled him. I'm still not sure.
    Well what about saying something along the lines of;

"I didn't see the incident clearly and still haven't seen it on the TV replays. If it turns out that Aiden has taken a dive then it's a wee bit disappointing from him as he's such a good player and doesn't need to do anything like that."

That comments gets across the fact that you're not sure what exactly happened but if it was a dive then you would be disappointed because the player is so good (Yogi's comments today indicate that he obviously admires McGeady) and doesn't need to dive.

I don't think any decent Celtic supporters could have a problem with a comment like that.

Agreed the player's been exposed, but that's not the point here. The point is you have a ref who makes a correct and books an act of simulation. But Yogi rather than just saying nothing about it (if that is what you're suggesting by 'discretion') says the Ref got it wrong. To my mind there's nothing clever in that and if we're talking about enemies then I'd rather not have him making enemies of refs. How do you reckon the ref see's the comments?

Well what about saying something along the lines of;

"I didn't see the incident clearly and still haven't seen it on the TV replays. If it turns out that Aiden has taken a dive then it's a wee bit disappointing from him as he's such a good player and doesn't need to do anything like that."

That comments gets across the fact that you're not sure what exactly happened but if it was a dive then you would be disappointed because the player is so good (Yogi's comments today indicate that he obviously admires McGeady) and doesn't need to dive.

I don't think any decent Celtic supporters could have a problem with a comment like that.
    I don't care what Celtc supporters say, decent or not.

Yogi doesn't want to make a rod for his own back by critisising someone else when he knows it will come back to haunt him.

Actually, I like what Yogi had to say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8229560.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    Not only was Yogi not rambling, he was talking sense. McGeedy should not have been booked for something that most players do from time to time. If it was in the penalty box I could understand, but simply to ignore him and play on seemed the much better option.

I know not everyone will agree, but I say this looking at the bigger picture were players will now need to be sent off in almost every game for anticipating tackles that don't come. Then of course, we will have inconsistency from referees, and even more for us fans to kick off about. I'm not suggesting that this wee boy didn't cheat, just that this is yet another initiative will cause more problems than it will solve

I think that they've just made a rod for their own backs.
    Yet if the ref hadn't seen this dive and booked Hanlon for taking him out then, we would have had our man walking the tightrope against one of the trickiest players in the league. The other point in this being he wasn't sent off for the dive, he was sent of for a second bookable offence.

I don't care what Celtc supporters say, decent or not.

Yogi doesn't want to make a rod for his own back by critisising someone else when he knows it will come back to haunt him.
    You were talking about him making enemies if he criticises McGeady. I assume the enemies would either be the Celtic fans or management staff.

What I'm saying is, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with him making a comment like the one I put in my last post.

For the record, I couldn't care less what the Celtic supporters say, either.

You were talking about him making enemies if he criticises McGeady. I assume the enemies would either be the Celtic fans or management staff.

What I'm saying is, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with him making a comment like the one I put in my last post.

For the record, I couldn't care less what the Celtic supporters say, either.
    I doubt anyone would take offence either.

However, you've had 10 hours to come up with that. Yogi was interviewed directly after his team were beaten.

I think it was a reasoned and intelligent response.