hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel

Arfield and Barr

Was told tonight that we are in discussion with falkirk about these two, with a view to moving in this window. Same guy said that an Eddie (greetin faced )May confimed in a newspaper interview that Hibs have bid for Arfield.
    not seen it mentioned here, just wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

Both would be good signings I think and two would eventually make us money.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 27-08-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: +greggs tag

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I'd imagine there's a good chance that Hughes has been in touch with Scott Arfield...

As for Barr, if Bamba really is on his way, then it'd make sense to bring a decent CB in.

I've not heard anything, but personally I'd take arfield, who could slot in perfectly in midfield, but i'd rather get anderson than Barr, just my opinion

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by purehibee1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've not heard anything, but personally I'd take arfield, who could slot in perfectly in midfield, but i'd rather get anderson than Barr, just my opinion
    I agree with you mate, but has the gaffer not ruled Anderson out?

Signing Arfield would be a great move on the back of stokes signing, would show real ambition and desire to take the club forward aswell as a good understanding and trust between yogi and the board, tbh though we should be signing players of this calibre after raking in the cash from our young players. C'Mon Hibs Arfield and another Defender! you know it makes sense, Get Keenan, JJ, off the wage bill and loan out Byrne, keep Nishy for 1 more year.
    Last edited by O'Brien[11]; 26-08-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    I agree with you mate, but has the gaffer not ruled Anderson out?

Yeah but you never no with Yogi he may just be keeping the media away and keeping us all off the scent... This fan is keeping his fingers crossed in hope of another great signing!

Yes Arfield would be a very good signing. Nothing wrong with Barr either.

Feel a bit uncomfortable with this, maybe too many Falkirk players ???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs7 View Post

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    As long as incoming players improve the quality that is on offer then I'm not fussed which club they come from.

If they will improve the squad then it doesn't matter where they come from. Barr and Arfield would improve the squad.

Lets not miss out because of some misplaced notion that we're too big to be improved by signing players from a 'smaller' Scottish club.

First Team Breakthrough Barrylavety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purehibee1875 View Post

I know what you mean but this way of thinking hasn't discouraged the OF from adding several Hibs players each to their squads. Both Glasgow teams had 3 ex-Hibees playing at the weekend.

By all accounts Yogi managed to assemble half an excellent team at Falkirk and they have been schooled in playing football the right way. His problem was that his budget didn't allow him to fill the remaining half of the team with sufficient quality.

Few SPL fans would have quibbled with signing Stokes, Gow, Arfield or Barr for example.

As long as we sign the best from that team and leave the rest then I'll be happy.
    Last edited by GreenOnions; 27-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

I think most folk here agreed that Falkirk were a good footballing team last year and only missed a couple of good strikers, what Yogi is doing is taking the best of the Falkirk players and blending them with the best we have.

Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    I think most folk here agreed that Falkirk were a good footballing team last year and only missed a couple of good strikers, what Yogi is doing is taking the best of the Falkirk players and blending them with the best we have.

and as Yogi has said - by signing ex-players, managers know what they are getting from the players....... This will speed up his process of getting his stamp on the team.
    It's very very early days with Yogi in charge, but already there is a massive difference in the team and feeling within the club / support.

Yogi really seems to sign players that finally add value and not just add a wage to the clubs bill.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    Quote Originally Posted by finhq031 View Post
    As long as incoming players improve the quality that is on offer then I'm not fussed which club they come from.
    Arfield and Barr would be the last two he'd plunder. Pastures anew after that. They are the stars of that team, Yogi will know them very well and what they can deliver. I believe they would certainly add more quality to our team.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Yesterday View Post
    If they will improve the squad then it doesn't matter where they come from. Barr and Arfield would improve the squad.

Lets not miss out because of some misplaced notion that we're too big to be improved by signing players from a 'smaller' Scottish club.

Barr and Arfield would mean we had 5 ex-Falkirk players in a first team line-up like this:

Maka
    Barr Hogg Bamba Murray
    Cregg McBride Arfield
    Zouma
    Stokes Riordan

Suppose the positions were reversed, and Hughes was still at Falkirk, and we were severely strapped for cash, and he signed the five outfield players of the team NOT from Falkirk? Hogg, Bamba, Murray, Zouma, and Riordan? Or even another five, like Wotherspoon, Rankin, Stevenson, JJ, and Nish?

We'd be gutted to lose so many players, but he'd hardly be weakening his team.

Cregg and McBride are demonstrating their value to the team already. Stokes is yet to find the goal, and maybe needs to remember he has other team-mates than Deek sometimes, but I have no doubt he's a useful acquisition. No question Barr would be an improvement at RB, and Arfield is an exciting young player who'd add to our midfield options and strengthen the squad.

If we get them, and an Arsenal kiddie or two, I'm more than happy.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    Was told tonight that we are in discussion with falkirk about these two, with a view to moving in this window. Same guy said that an Eddie (greetin faced )May confimed in a newspaper interview that Hibs have bid for Arfield.
    not seen it mentioned here, just wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

Both would be good signings I think and two would eventually make us money.

I think this is link your looking for RE: Arfield

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/...ns-up-in-air-/

"there have been discussions between Hibs and Falkirk about Scott Arfield but that is as far as it has gone’’ May revealed.’’ I am not aware of an offer being made. We will just have to wait and see what develops because we can’t dictate what other clubs offer for our players."
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Yesterday View Post

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    We seem to be forgetting that it was those players that almost got falkirk relegated last season. Signing half the falkirk team seems like the lazy option as far as I am concerned..I sincerely hope this does not come back to bite yogi on the ass.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by passionatehibby View Post
    We seem to be forgetting that it was those players that almost got falkirk relegated last season. Signing half the falkirk team seems like the lazy option as far as I am concerned..I sincerely hope this does not come back to bite yogi on the ass.
    Did the players that aren’t as good as these boys have anything to do with it?

I heard that the poor players nearly got them relegated but the good players nearly won them the Cup?

First Team Breakthrough biggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: biggie1875
    (Did the players that aren’t as good as these boys have anything to do with it?

I heard that the poor players nearly got them relegated but the good players nearly won them the Cup? )

#

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by passionatehibby View Post
    One of Falkirks biggest problem last season was they never had anybody decent up front tae stick the ball away, that disnae mean all the players they had were rubbish and IMO we're taking the good ones. Would you argue that any of the players signed so far havnae improved the team? Would you argue that Barr and Arfield wouldnae improve this team? I'm no fussed where players come from as long as they improve the team and IMO the ones signed so far have and these two if we get them would.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: magseven7
    I wouldn't bother with Arfield, average player IMO who would struggle to get into our starting 11.

Barr on the other hand would be a decent signing, playing either Right back or Centre Half.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Did the players that aren’t as good as these boys have anything to do with it?

I heard that the poor players nearly got them relegated but the good players nearly won them the Cup?
    I seem to recall that football is a team game. Cregg,McBride,Arfield and Barr had a major part to play in almost getting falkirk relegated last season.

And yes, they also had a major role in guiding falkirk to the cup final last season..

I`ve always been impressed with Arfield he looks like a player that is going places, not so much with Barr but i would trust Yogi`s judgement without doubt if he signed both.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post
    I think this is link your looking for RE: Arfield

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/...ns-up-in-air-/

"there have been discussions between Hibs and Falkirk about Scott Arfield but that is as far as it has gone’’ May revealed.’’ I am not aware of an offer being made. We will just have to wait and see what develops because we can’t dictate what other clubs offer for our players."

thanks mate, discussions? means the tache is on the case. theres only ever one winner there

wonder how much??

Offer them DVZ/Keenan + Cash + Player on loan??

£700k plus the rest??

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    One of Falkirks biggest problem last season was they never had anybody decent up front tae stick the ball away, that disnae mean all the players they had were rubbish and IMO we're taking the good ones. Would you argue that any of the players signed so far havnae improved the team? Would you argue that Barr and Arfield wouldnae improve this team? I'm no fussed where players come from as long as they improve the team and IMO the ones signed so far have and these two if we get them would.

Wot he said.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnificent_seven View Post
    I wouldn't bother with Arfield, average player IMO who would struggle to get into our starting 11.
    Arfield would walk into our midfield. He is better than Rankin, Cregg and McBride.