hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Festival Fitba

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar

Festival Fitba

I was at a show last night at Surgeons Hall. The comedian came from Newtongrange and was called Eric Davidson. It was great show and he pointed out that Jim Leishman and George McNeill were in the audience. He then went on to say that his brother played for Hibs and I though he said at the same time as Leishman. Any idea who that might have been?

As an aside he told great jokes including some about Newtongrange weddings which could just as easily apply to our friends in the west. So here we go...

I was at a Hertz wedding last week. You knew it was a Hertz wedding because the Bride and Grooms family were both sitting on the same side of the church. I wisnae sure if it was a match made in heaven as the only thing they had in common was their DNA. The groom knew she was the wummin for him as she had a lovely tooth.

Good night out and his skit on the Ghurkas and Joanna Lumley ws briliant. Shing (shuggy) Shang Fhu fae Katmandu ends up in Prestonpans Kwality

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at a show last night at Surgeons Hall. The comedian came from Newtongrange and was called Eric Davidson. It was great show and he pointed out that Jim Leishman and George McNeill were in the audience. He then went on to say that his brother played for Hibs and I though he said at the same time as Leishman. Any idea who that might have been?

As an aside he told great jokes including some about Newtongrange weddings which could just as easily apply to our friends in the west. So here we go...

I was at a Hertz wedding last week. You knew it was a Hertz wedding because the Bride and Grooms family were both sitting on the same side of the church. I wisnae sure if it was a match made in heaven as the only thing they had in common was their DNA. The groom knew she was the wummin for him as she had a lovely tooth.

Good night out and his skit on the Ghurkas and Joanna Lumley ws briliant. Shing (shuggy) Shang Fhu fae Katmandu ends up in Prestonpans Kwality
    His brother Kenny played for Hibs in the 70s

He made 18 appearances and scored 4 goals between 1970 and 1972.
    Last edited by Mary Hinge; 26-08-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His brother Kenny played for Hibs in the 70s

He made 18 appearances and scored 4 goals between 1970 and 1972.
    I think another club in the Capital could use someone with that goals to games scoring ratio.
    Tell him to take his boots along gorgie-way on Thursday, he might get a run out.

Quote Originally Posted by p=sh View Post
    I think another club in the Capital could use someone with that goals to games scoring ratio.
    Tell him to take his boots along gorgie-way on Thursday, he might get a run out.
    It's certainly a better goals to games ratio than yon pile o' nade

First Team Breakthrough
    I've seen him a couple of times doing after dinner speaking, mainly at football orientated events (which will explain why Jim Leishman and George McNeill were there).

Interesting to hear that he's having a go at stand-up...

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kenny was a tricky left winger who made his debut when he was about 18 at the start of the Tornadoes era. Unfortunately, he was a bit lightweight and in competition with Arthur Duncan.

By the way, a common mistake: Jim Leishman never played at Hibs - though lots of folk think he did. It was a Tom Leishman who was in our reserves in the 80s (got his signature with all the others in the front of 'The Hibees' book).

I once introduced Leish with a big build up about Hibs and he made the point quite kindly that I was talking bo*****s! Great guy though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Kenny was a tricky left winger who made his debut when he was about 18 at the start of the Tornadoes era. Unfortunately, he was a bit lightweight and in competition with Arthur Duncan.

By the way, a common mistake: Jim Leishman never played at Hibs - though lots of folk think he did. It was a Tom Leishman who was in our reserves in the 80s (got his signature with all the others in the front of 'The Hibees' book).

I once introduced Leish with a big build up about Hibs and he made the point quite kindly that I was talking bo*****s! Great guy though.
    Sorry to be pedantic but Tam Leishman played in the 60's. Not the most skilful but hugely energetic & would tackle anything that moved. He had a close cropped crew cut which made him look like an army PE instructor, unfortunately his ball skills also reminded us of an army PE instructor.
    Think he came from St Midden.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic but Tam Leishman played in the 60's. Not the most skilful but hugely energetic & would tackle anything that moved. He had a close cropped crew cut which made him look like an army PE instructor, unfortunately his ball skills also reminded us of an army PE instructor.
    Says here he had "a great touch"!

Quote Originally Posted by whaley View Post
    I've seen him a couple of times doing after dinner speaking, mainly at football orientated events (which will explain why Jim Leishman and George McNeill were there).

Interesting to hear that he's having a go at stand-up...
    I'm pretty sure that this is his third year at the Festival

just a wee update about Kenny Davidson

Ok, I was also at Eric Davidsons show the other night, as nephew of Eric and son of Kenny the ex hibs player in question i will try to explain any confusion about what was said at the show.

OK, Jim Leishman was at the show the other night and knows eric very well due to the after dinner connection.

Eric then mentioned that his brother Kenny Davidson Played for the hibs and also played with big Jim, but here is the was missing link,

Kenny played for hibs from 1970-74
    Had a bad leg break on the 23rd of dec 1972 a week before the 7-0 game.

Kenny then moved to Dunfermline in 1974-75 and thats when he played with Jim leishman

Hope that sorts out the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman hibby View Post
    Ok, I was also at Eric Davidsons show the other night, as nephew of Eric and son of Kenny the ex hibs player in question i will try to explain any confusion about what was said at the show.

OK, Jim Leishman was at the show the other night and knows eric very well due to the after dinner connection.

Eric then mentioned that his brother Kenny Davidson Played for the hibs and also played with big Jim, but here is the was missing link,

Kenny played for hibs from 1970-74
    Had a bad leg break on the 23rd of dec 1972 a week before the 7-0 game.

Kenny then moved to Dunfermline in 1974-75 and thats when he played with Jim leishman

Hope that sorts out the confusion.

I thought Kenny was going to be a big star for Hibs. Interesting to hear about the bad break. It highlights the fragility of a career in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this is his third year at the Festival
    It is indeed.

He's a regular on the after dinner circuit as well. Used to do a great wee poem/song about Marco Materazzi a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Tommy Leishman played 107 games for Liverpool between 1959 and 1963. He was at St Mirren before that. No mean player. He would talk to the crowd at the front of the terrace during stoppages in play, especially if they knew the racing results!

Leishman

Brog,
    Maybe you,re thinking of Lindsay ( bill i think ) who played left back for St. midden in the late 50s early 60s . He tried to take out Gordon Smith one time at E.R. Smith side stepped and Lindsay went over the old Enclosure wall.