hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ashes decider

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye...® View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done England

Fascinating series - Australia dominate the batting and bowling averages yet England made the most of their periods on top and thus secured the series.

Strauss has looked convincing as a captain and an opener. Real breakthrough for Stuart Broad in this series too. Jonathan Trott has booked his place for South Africa and Graeme Swann has cemented his position.

For Australia Hilfenhaus and Siddle have emerged with credit and answered any questions about their selection. North has done well enough and Clarke has reinforced his position as Ponting's successor.

Some great cricket during this series and a firm riposte to anyone who doubted the validity of the five-day game
    It will be interesting to see how Johnson comes out of it. I agree Hilfenhaus (22 wkts) and Siddle (20wkts) have been the stand out bowlers for the Aussies, yet Johnson also got 20 wkts, after a very poor start.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    My thoughts:

Top marks to England for this 5th test - I didn't think they had it in them as Australia seemed to tighten the screw.

Cook - took the winning catch and stuck the ball right in the old trouser pocket and took off like a bat out of hell. How much do you think he'll get for that on E-Bay 2050?

Harmy - straight out of the Csaba Lazslo school of gibbering interviews but who do you think he was taking a swipe at re: Ex-England players slating his big chum Freddie..

Strauss - great bottle under pressure after being mince last time around.

Swan - tremendous bowling today.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Johnson comes out of it. I agree Hilfenhaus (22 wkts) and Siddle (20wkts) have been the stand out bowlers for the Aussies, yet Johnson also got 20 wkts, after a very poor start.
    Johnson struggled to find his bowling form early on but it's clear how importantly Australia view him. A home series against the Windies should give him the opportunity to show what he's got. If he can maintain his batting then he has the potential to be a genuine all-rounder although I think the selectors would settle for him doing the business as a strike bowler.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm surprised whoever wins the boat race each year, is not honoured in the same way. A bloody 2 team match, and the winner gets a gong, only in england eh.
    Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens.

Guess what the national BBC news at 10pm had as their top story tonight?

It's incredible that such a big deal is made out of a sport that only about eight or nine countries in the entire world actually take seriously.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post

You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens.

It's incredible that such a big deal is made out of a sport that only about eight or nine countries in the entire world actually take seriously.
    Like rugby you mean? It is waaay over the top but its not the only sport where this happens...

Anyhoo, I still look on the english test team as more of a British team and cant stand Ponting, so well done England!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    Like rugby you mean? It is waaay over the top but its not the only sport where this happens...

Anyhoo, I still look on the english test team as more of a British team and cant stand Ponting, so well done England!
    I don't mind English sportsmen and women winning at individual sports, as long as they are not directly competing against a Scotsman or woman.

But when it comes to their football, rugby and cricket teams, I hope they lose every single match that they play in.

As for Ricky Ponting, I don't pay much interest to cricket (as you can probably tell) but he seems to be very well respected amongst the cricket world and any time I've heard people speak about him, he seems to be someone who holds the ethics/morals of the game in very high regard.

I have a lot of time for people like that.

First Team Breakthrough borders.cabbage's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: brendisgod

Then surely they would be called Britain and not England

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by borders.cabbage View Post
    Then surely they would be called Britain and not England
    Its more a case that England are the only ones in Britain who have a test team and so should anyone come along from Ireland or Scotland who is good enough (such as the current Scotland captain was 10 years ago) to play test cricket, then they will allow them to play for them.

As for Wales, the team is actually the team of the England and Wales Cricket Board so they are already covered by that.

Ponting just annoys me, but I think the reason for that is the same reason that he is so good. He has this attitude of I will win and I am better than you, the same attitude as Warne, Gilchrist and McGrath had, although I do still like Warne.

I think if you speak to a lot of English cricket fans they will tell you how much they love to ram it up Ponting, so to speak, however, it is clear that they do still respect him given the reception he got today when he was out.

First Team Breakthrough borders.cabbage's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: brendisgod
    Its more a case that England are the only ones in Britain who have a test team and so should anyone come along from Ireland or Scotland who is good enough (such as the current Scotland captain was 10 years ago) to play test cricket, then they will allow them to play for them.

As for Wales, the team is actually the team of the England and Wales Cricket Board so they are already covered by that.

Ponting just annoys me, but I think the reason for that is the same reason that he is so good. He has this attitude of I will win and I am better than you, the same attitude as Warne, Gilchrist and McGrath had, although I do still like Warne.

I think if you speak to a lot of English cricket fans they will tell you how much they love to ram it up Ponting, so to speak, however, it is clear that they do still respect him given the reception he got today when he was out.
    Or South Africa

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by borders.cabbage View Post
    Or South Africa
    Indeed, although I think thats more the same sort of situation as in most sports, where they qualify by residency and England aint gonna turn down a batsman of Kevin Pietersen's calibre if he wants to play for them.

Trott seems to be more straight forward as there hasnt been anything of his dilemma as to who to play for, like i think i recall there was with with KP.

Edit: just wiki'd it and KP has an English mother, but still had to wait 4 years for residency. Trott's grandparents are Engish so same applies.
    Last edited by hibee62; 24-08-2009 at 12:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm surprised whoever wins the boat race each year, is not honoured in the same way. A bloody 2 team match, and the winner gets a gong, only in england eh.
    Congratulations to the #5 (out of 9) cricket team beating the #4 cricket team.

Sauce: http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/conte...ry/421843.html

MBEs all round!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

It's the leading, or one of the leading, sports in all those countries and that's a population approaching nearly two billion people.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    It's the leading, or one of the leading, sports in all those countries and that's a population approaching nearly two billion people.

Exactly - and the Ashes is one of the oldest trophies in professional sport.

I didn't expect England to win this series, but congratulations to them and to Andrew Strauss in particular.

Tremendous performance.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Exactly my thoughts on the matter. You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens. Guess what the national BBC news at 10pm had as their top story tonight?

Or the World Series in baseball? World? How many countries play baseball seriously?

Or gridiron?

But then, most Americans don't seem to realise that there's a great big world out there that ISN'T American.

And when they do, they usually bomb the living daylights out of it, then denounce it as a clear and present danger to truth, justice, and the American way....

Then poison them with Coke, Big Macs and Burger Kings.

If we take India off the list, it's less than a billion.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    If we take India off the list, it's less than a billion.
    So are you saying we should be encouraging the Chinese to take it up?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Or the World Series in baseball? World? How many countries play baseball seriously?

Or gridiron?

But then, most Americans don't seem to realise that there's a great big world out there that ISN'T American.

And when they do, they usually bomb the living daylights out of it, then denounce it as a clear and present danger to truth, justice, and the American way....

Then poison them with Coke, Big Macs and Burger Kings.
    Having been in florida and subjected to baseball for a couple of weeks on the tele i looked into the world series very briefly. From wiki the impression i got was that about 4 or 5 countries take it seriously but to make anything of it you have to go and play in america in the "World" Series. I dont thikn it exists very much as an international sport. This could all be total ***** though...

Gridiron appears to be entirely only USA, there was that attempt at a Euro league (which I remember seeing Scotland win once, 1996 maybe) but, although i think it still exists, i think its mostly German teams now.