hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN/Sky

ESPN/Sky

Sky are really bigging up Scottish Football!!!

Got a call from Sky call centre yesterday- 'encouraging' me to take up the ESPN package. Was told by Scottish girl (Celtic fan it turned out) that I would be able to see 30 English Premier League games, live German, French & Dutch football. Would I like to subscribe?

I asked, does it not include the SPL?

Reply, oh yes that as well, but when I've mentioned it to other people in England, they have said they are not interested!!!

Are we really that bad?

2. Log in to remove the advert

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    If you stayed in England and had no allegiances with Scottish Football would you be interested in it? I certainly wouldn't.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    I work in the sky call centre, Got a big outbound (Cold calling ) sales campaign on ESPN just now The fact is there are more EPL games on ESPN than Scottish. That's why they are pushing the EPL side of things......

Unrelated but the amount of yams calling today for the game was pissing me off

Quote Originally Posted by blaikie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I work in the sky call centre, Got a big outbound (Cold calling ) sales campaign on ESPN just now The fact is there are more EPL games on ESPN than Scottish. That's why they are pushing the EPL side of things......

You poor, poor guy (If you're the one making the calls)

Hope the Yams are enjoying their PPV money - £ well spent thus far I feel.

I don't understand why Sky are pushing ESPN. Aren't they supposed to be competitors ?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNibs View Post
    I don't understand why Sky are pushing ESPN. Aren't they supposed to be competitors ?
    Nope....ESPN and sky are working together on this one, Lot better than Setanta and cheaper as well. Gets added to your sky bill like an extra channel such as Chelsea TV or MUTV Still not good enough to tempt me away from the internet streams.

@hibs.net private member
    Nope....ESPN and sky are working together on this one, Lot better than Setanta and cheaper as well. Gets added to your sky bill like an extra channel such as Chelsea TV or MUTV Still not good enough to tempt me away from the internet streams.
    It's not cheaper though. Sky Sports is £11 per month (?) plus £9 from ESPN = £20

Setanta cost £12.99 per month for 60 SPL and 60 EPL games. Now ESPN give you half the games for £9.

Seems to be more expensive to me.

I was delighted yesterday to watch the Dutch football on ESPN, the PSV v Ajax. Hope they show some FC Groningen

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It's not cheaper though. Sky Sports is £11 per month (?) plus £9 from ESPN = £20

Setanta cost £12.99 per month for 60 SPL and 60 EPL games. Now ESPN give you half the games for £9.

Seems to be more expensive to me.
    Cheaper in the way it shows a lot more football for the money than Setanta. Still wouldn't buy it to be honest.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/

@hibs.net private member
    Cheaper in the way it shows a lot more football for the money than Setanta. Still wouldn't buy it to be honest.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/
    ESPN have around half the EPL and SPL games that Setanta had but they're charging more than half of what Setanta charged? Seems dearer to me - the American MSL doesn't appeal to me.

Gamer IDs

ESPN have around half the EPL and SPL games that Setanta had but they're charging more than half of what Setanta charged? Seems dearer to me - the American MSL doesn't appeal to me.
    It depends what kinda of games your into. Leagues like the Italian, Russian and the French also the Portuguese as well. They got the rights to the UFC too Its a totally different type of channel from Setanta

Quote Originally Posted by Marydoll View Post
    I was delighted yesterday to watch the Dutch football on ESPN, the PSV v Ajax. Hope they show some FC Groningen
    Did that not finish 4-3? seemed like a good game

On the ESPN thing, my dad(he who pays the bills) was gonna add Setanta this season until it went tits up, as is now going to add ESPN. There are usually some decent games on it from the EPL, Arsenal on Sat, Man Utd seemed to be on every home game saturday night. Also the SPL aswell as the above mentioned foreign games

@hibs.net private member
    It depends what kinda of games your into. Leagues like the Italian, Russian and the French also the Portuguese as well. They got the rights to the UFC too Its a totally different type of channel from Setanta
    So the Italian and Russian are new then. The rest was already on Setanta.

I'd imagine the majority of subscribers are subscribing for the EPL and SPL and for them you get a lot less for your money.

I'd pay a fiver a month for it.

Gamer IDs

So the Italian and Russian are new then. The rest was already on Setanta.

I'd imagine the majority of subscribers are subscribing for the EPL and SPL and for them you get a lot less for your money.

I'd pay a fiver a month for it.
    That's more than I would pay

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    Does anyone know if either of them are showing an SPL highlights programme, like Setanta had with the Full SPL?

ESPN are showing the Hibs and Falkirk game on Saturday.

For any Hibbys currently living in Australia.

Does anyone know whats happening for our coverage ?? Can we tag it onto Fox similar to Setanta??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneHibby View Post
    For any Hibbys currently living in Australia.

Does anyone know whats happening for our coverage ?? Can we tag it onto Fox similar to Setanta??
    It was setantaUK that lost the contract. The setanta over here is still running. They were showing the rangers and celtic games at the weekend.

Not sure if we'll get the highlights show tonight as that was Booth and Lovell's show and I presume they are out of work now.

Games still being shown though.

Promising Youngster
    I live in England so getting any Scottish coverage is pretty dire (Until satan went bust). I signed up for ESPN today and the big plus point is that the HD channel comes with the £9 charge, something Satan Tv never offered. Seems good so far and the premier games and american sport is also a plus in HD.
    I think ESPN and SKY will work together as they can both sew up the premiership packages between them when its renewed without the competition watchdog getting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DroitwichHibs View Post
    Sky are really bigging up Scottish Football!!!

Got a call from Sky call centre yesterday- 'encouraging' me to take up the ESPN package. Was told by Scottish girl (Celtic fan it turned out) that I would be able to see 30 English Premier League games, live German, French & Dutch football. Would I like to subscribe?

I asked, does it not include the SPL?

Reply, oh yes that as well, but when I've mentioned it to other people in England, they have said they are not interested!!!

Are we really that bad?

yo yo yo wasssupppp ? dat "bigging" word yo is dat da Ebonics thang ?

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    It was setantaUK that lost the contract. The setanta over here is still running. They were showing the rangers and celtic games at the weekend.

Not sure if we'll get the highlights show tonight as that was Booth and Lovell's show and I presume they are out of work now.

Games still being shown though.
    I watched the Utd v Jambos game live today. Looks like this season they'll have SPL games outside of Rantic. ESPN here in U.S. doesn't appear to have changed the format though.

Falkirk game is on Setanta here in Oz on Saturday. Any Perth based Hibees can come along and watch it at The Irish Club in Subiaco at 7.30pm.

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar

If you are actually doing the Cold Calling I will apologise in advance now Blaikie for the disinterest, sarcasm and annoyance that I am bound to show in my voice when answering your call before inviting you to come round and join my family at the kitchen table to join in the evening meal that you have interupted and is now going cold before politely but firmly ignoring your words, saying goodby and hanging up ......

......and that's if I'm in a good mood. The call would be much shorter and to the point if I'm not!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    I'm glad we have a TV deal, better than not having one.

However I don't like the manner in which it's come about. It reminds me of the way supermarkets create a cartel to push down a markets prices eg the Milk price court action, which the supermarkets have been fined heavily for.

Sky and Espn collaborated to manage the price down it's not a monopoly as there are two companies involved but it certainly operates like a price fixing cartel.

It's also annoying that like the BBC, they'll maximise the coining in up here whilst the real money is spread on English football.

Whilst I'm on my high horse, I enjoy MOD but it winds me up that I have to wait until 6pm on a Sunday to see any highlights of the SPL and if I want to watch the TV it's on a Sunday night at a pathetic time.

Petrie get it sorted.
    Match of the Day is

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    I paid £17 to get sky sports turned on then £9.99 to Get ESPN so I could get all SPL games and it worth every penny, no Scott Booth to annoy us which is a major plus.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    I paid £17 to get sky sports turned on then £9.99 to Get ESPN so I could get all SPL games and it worth every penny, no Scott Booth to annoy us which is a major plus.
    aye but andy walker on sky......

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TamHibs PSN ID: tamhibs22
    I quite enjoyed the ESPN commentary team tbh

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    aye but andy walker on sky......
    and Charlie Nick and the blonde girl who used to be on Rangers tv (who mistakenly said Dons were 3 up at half time on Saturday ).

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TamHibs View Post
    I quite enjoyed the ESPN commentary team tbh
    Woudnt disagree, though the studio team werent great though, Stubbsy was really interested in Scottish football NOT, Duffy - quite what his credentials are for being seen as an expert on Scottish football I dont know - get back to Brechin, Hendry seemed very bland and not that knowledgeable IMO, probably because he is based down south.

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    That's more than I would pay
    Balikie - if you do subscribe to ESPN, will you only get it on one box like with setanta or is it activated on all your Sky boxes in the house?