hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As Ive lived in Leith and been a Hibs fan for 40 years Im a bit pished off you think I come from Govan or worse still Tynie

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spatzhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As Ive lived in Leith and been a Hibs fan for 40 years Im a bit pished off you think I come from Govan or worse still Tynie
    why would you care what i think?

Left by mutual consent!
    I care with a passion. That was god awful to watch last night. Scotland is the place i was born and the country i support. What's wrong with people these days that they don't want to support their country? Or are embarrassed by the kilt? Or by the TA? Miserable shower need to get a life!

As George Burley says it's still in our own hands, we just have to win our next two games, one of which is against the dutch.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN SKYE View Post
    I care with a passion. That was god awful to watch last night. Scotland is the place i was born and the country i support. What's wrong with people these days that they don't want to support their country? Or are embarrassed by the kilt? Or by the TA? Miserable shower need to get a life!

As George Burley says it's still in our own hands, we just have to win our next two games, one of which is against the dutch.

You don't have much choice if you're born in the place. FWIW I believe that the 'universal respect' in which the world holds the Tartan Army is a bit of a myth - 'universal' is a big word, and respect can get a bit thin on the ground from time to time, depending on the behaviour of particular groups of fans. The idea of them all being 'foot-soldiers' seems a bit silly to me - pretentious, even. Generally speaking, however, they do not too badly.

Better them than the super-heavyweight division of the BNP beer-swillers singing 'Land of Hope and Glory' or building Jerusalem in England's green unpleasant land....

Last night was a shambles. We shouldn't have accepted the game in the first place - playing on the Wednesday before the SPL starts, the Wednesday after the Championship kicked off, when every manager worth his salt wants his players in training, fit and ready to go, not halfway across Europe playing for someone else....

(If there hadn't been WC games last night, there wouldn't have been friendlies, so Sol and Zouma and Maka wouldn't have been away either.)

Having accepted it, it might have been good if the Three Wise Men had actually worked out a rational way of approaching it as opposed to their 'pick the first eleven whose names come out of the hat' selection (where have we seen THAT approach before?) along with the 'let's appease the Huns by putting Naismith in the papers' idea. Or did they really think that a guy who plays twice in a year as a Rangers sub was a better bet than players who play regularly in the SPL and Championship? Even if Deek isn't yet match-fit (he's fitter than Naismith, for sure), Clarkson played and scored for Bristol at the weekend. Good goal, too. But then so did Hartley, and he didn't get on the pitch. George preferred a 39-year-old defender to him in midfield.

George, Terry and Elvis have been irreparably damaged by Boozegate. The Huns are gloating this morning and expecting a new manager to come in soon whose first act will be to re-instate the neds. That, IMO, would be totally unacceptable - I will not support or wish well to any team containing Boyd, Ferguson, or McGregor.

My one complaint against the TA is that they turn out regardless. That may sound strange, but if Hampden Park were to be empty for the next two games, maybe the SFA would take a tumble to themselves and do something about the team. Unquestioning and unquestioned loyalty can at times be counter-productive.

But in fact I'm not convinced that there's still really such a thing as 'Scottish football' to support.
    Last edited by --------; 13-08-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Too many in the Tartan Army think they are the story not the team.

It might have something to do with your grammar

If people who don't support the national team just kept it to themselves it would be fine. But its the constant need to remind others of how much they don't care, how much they hope they lose etc that gets on people's nerves.

If you don't support the team - fine. Just don't go on about it cos its really nothing to boast about

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    As a Hibs fan I cant really get excited about third rate players who get outplayed by Norway-and as for the "Tartan Army" they are a total embarassment.As for us singing Flower of Scotland at the Bolton I have never felt so nauseos
    I care about our national team so not sure what your on about to be honest, and hearing flower of Scotland being sung gets the juices flowing. Clearly you have no pride in your country with your silly comments.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibster View Post
    If people who don't support the national team just kept it to themselves it would be fine. But its the constant need to remind others of how much they don't care, how much they hope they lose etc that gets on people's nerves.

If you don't support the team - fine. Just don't go on about it cos its really nothing to boast about
    well said, however I would like to point out that not supporting hearts is something to boast about and you should reguarly remind any yams you know just how fortunate you are not to have to support such a morally bankrupt football (I use the term loosely) club.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Well said.

Flower of Scotland is a dirge. It sounds rubbish whenever it is sung. It is a fake Jacobite song composed in the late nineteen sixties.

A trully horrible song!
    Flower of Scotland, composed by the the late Roy Williamson, refers to the Battle of Bannockburn, nothing to do with Jacobite Rebellion.

Personally agree it's a dirge and is about as cheerful as God Save the Queen.

Pity we didn't have a stirring national anthem like La Marseillaise.

After last night, perhaps "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" would be more appropriate.

Re the Tartan Army, it's unfair to stereotype them all as attention seekers, as some I know that follow Scotland far and wide, never wear tartan or publicise their allegiance outwith the actual stadium.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    As a Hibs fan I cant really get excited about third rate players who get outplayed by Norway-and as for the "Tartan Army" they are a total embarassment.As for us singing Flower of Scotland at the Bolton I have never felt so nauseos
    Launch the English fud

@hibs.net private member
    I care about Scotland - and as for getting outplayed by Norway - if you watched the game then you'd know that the opposite was true for large stretches of the game - Scotland were passing the ball about well and unlucky not to be a goal up before Norway's hoof it up the park to Carrew tactics saw Caldwell booked twice in as many minutes.

Credit to Norway for taking full advantage of their numerical superiority, but I don't think they would have won without it - even if Burley's selection was puzzling to say the least!

As for being an embarassment - I think you qualify for that a lot more than the Scotland fans.

Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    I care about our national team so not sure what your on about to be honest, and hearing flower of Scotland being sung gets the juices flowing. Clearly you have no pride in your country with your silly comments.
    Flower of Scotland is a dirge but then so is Sunshine on Leith IMO. Scotland/Hibs fans love the songs and they do stir the blood so all this dissing of FoS is pretty pointless I'd say
    This is how it feels

First Team Breakthrough GieTheBaTaeReilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    May be a dirge but is nothing to do with the Jacobites rebellion.
    Correctamundo mate.

FOS is about Robert The Bruce (Robert II of Scotland), whose daughter Marjorie Bruce, married Robert Stewart aka Robert II of Scotland and founded the House of Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Ah! the "Tartan Army" a bunch of supporters who travel to away games to support their national team and are respected all over the world for their good nature and humour. These guys are willing to fork out hundreds of pounds a time to support the national team, tell me how much do you spend supporting Hibs at away matches.

Singing Flower of Scotland at Bolton was a piece of harmless fun and probably came about because some Bolton supporters were wearing England shirts and goading the Hibs fans, get a grip and grow up.

Can't argue with the 3rd rate comment, I switched over at half time cause it was so embarassing, I know our season hasn't started yet but some of the basic schoolboy errors was rediculous.
    Well said!

Scottish footballers, aw yeah, those guys who's diet consists of pies and pints, who rarely if ever stay behind after trianing to work on their skill levels, or understanding of the game, who frequently get shown up for the unfit, incompetent bufoons they are and who stop working on their game the minute they get their first pro wage packet, who's sole ambition in their chosen sport/profession is to play for the old firm then warm the bench for 2 years. Excuse me if I no longer care about the national embarrassment...oops I mean team.

As for the tartan army, got some admiration for them, but they need to show their dis-satisfaction more. Let these overpaid numpties know that their lack of prefessionalism is unacceptable.

Rant over! Off for a lie down now.