hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar

Is it time for Souness for Scotland?

I am personally sick and tired of pishy managers in charge of the national team.

Much as I hate the guy personally, we need someone with a fire inside them that will put the fear of death into the team and get them intae the opposition. We are clearly never going to win by trying to play pretty football with pish players, so maybe we need to get Scottish player playing Scottish football and getting in about them.

We have always in the past come up with players who could get in about them, supplemented with good baw players. Time to go back to basics and maybe Souey could do it. Forget all these English Div 3 subbie we keep picking. Do it the Scottish way and do it properly!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    IMO he should have got the job the last time. Dont think he would interested now though

First Team Breakthrough
    am surprised anyone would wana work with this shower of *****!

No, no, no, no, no, NO!

How did he do at Newcastle? How did he do at Blackburn? How did he do anywhere where he didn't have a bigger budget than all his competitors put together?

He'd be bloody awful, a stick on to fill the team with Rangers old boys, 100% cert Barry the ned and co would be back. Why do people think he would get the team behaving when his Rangers side were always out on the lash.

Souness is a washed up has been who is not, and never was the answer.

A bizarre suggestion. Souness made little effort when playing for Scotland, and has no record in management of getting the best out of limited resources. He wouldn't even take the job as his principal concern is his own reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, no, no, no, no, NO!

How did he do at Newcastle? How did he do at Blackburn? How did he do anywhere where he didn't have a bigger budget than all his competitors put together?

He'd be bloody awful, a stick on to fill the team with Rangers old boys, 100% cert Barry the ned and co would be back. Why do people think he would get the team behaving when his Rangers side were always out on the lash.

He did pretty well at Blackburn. Barry the ned is better than Alexander.

I would endorse Souness for the Scotland job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Regal View Post
    He did pretty well at Blackburn. Barry the ned is better than Alexander.

I would endorse Souness for the Scotland job.
    And theres more than a few better than either, and a lot who actually want to play for the strip unlike Barry 'bit of a twinge in my ankle again' Ferguson.

Souness should be nowhere near the job, he's been after a managers job for years and not got one, tells you all you need to know. He has had no success of note since leaving Rangers, and a stuffed chimp could have won titles with that side and budget.

I want someone in that isn't tied to either of the Old Firm and will actually pick the best players, regardless of what club they are at. That is not Souness.

Coaching Staff
    Harry Potter for me I am afraid.....always talks a good game and sets his teams out well. His tactics tonight as a pundit would have served us well. Plus he would ensure that we wouldn't put out the usual Ceptic/Rankers select and choose players that were actually playing regularly. Burley proved yet again tonight why he is inept as a manager and clueless when it comes to international football........it was quite funny in the end watching him from the sidelines.....Graham Alexander in a holding role.......surely that would make a good comedy show on The Fringe

And theres more than a few better than either, and a lot who actually want to play for the strip unlike Barry 'bit of a twinge in my ankle again' Ferguson.

Souness should be nowhere near the job, he's been after a managers job for years and not got one, tells you all you need to know. He has had no success of note since leaving Rangers, and a stuffed chimp could have won titles with that side and budget.

I want someone in that isn't tied to either of the Old Firm and will actually pick the best players, regardless of what club they are at. That is not Souness.

And pray tell where is the queue of highly successful managers (with no tie to the uglies) that would be willing to forego highly paid jobs to take the Scotland job? Come on enlighten us, rather than just scoff.

Souness has done more in management than the current clown. Smith and Gingerbaws have demonstrated that anyone with a clue, will jump ship as soon as the chance arises to make money. FWIW there aren't that many OF players who are Scottish that aren't already in the team. As for the view he didn't try that hard playing for Scotland, that's pish too.

As another poster said Harry Potter is a good choice, but if he did take the job, he would be off down south faster than Nade into a pie shop, if he turned our fortunes around and an English team came a calling. I cannae see Souness getting to many offers from down south.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    And pray tell where is the queue of highly successful managers (with no tie to the uglies) that would be willing to forego highly paid jobs to take the Scotland job? Come on enlighten us, rather than just scoff.

Souness has done more in management than the current clown. Smith and Gingerbaws have demonstrated that anyone with a clue, will jump ship as soon as the chance arises to make money. FWIW there aren't that many OF players who are Scottish that aren't already in the team. As for the view he didn't try that hard playing for Scotland, that's pish too.

As another poster said Harry Potter is a good choice, but if he did take the job, he would be off down south faster than Nade into a pie shop, if he turned our fortunes around and an English team came a calling. I cannae see Souness getting to many offers from down south.
    How about we give burley enough time to do the job properly?

I ****ing hate this lynch mob mentality, let him rid us of the west coast mafia in the scotland team and rebuild it properly, rather than just go back to the old days of rangers and celtic b teams playing for scotland on a wedensday night.

Impatient *******s!!!

and aye, I'm hungover and having a rant, so ****ing what!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    How about we give burley enough time to do the job properly?

I ****ing hate this lynch mob mentality, let him rid us of the west coast mafia in the scotland team and rebuild it properly, rather than just go back to the old days of rangers and celtic b teams playing for scotland on a wedensday night.

Impatient *******s!!!

and aye, I'm hungover and having a rant, so ****ing what!!!!
    Where's the evidence he will do the job properly? 2 wins against Iceland?

Where's the evidence he will do the job properly? 2 wins against Iceland?
    aye, that and the fact he is has got rid of little ***** like ferguson and mcgregor, leith wisnae built overnight, paradise takes time

Coaching Staff
    We have to get away from the 'Braveheart' reputation andf think that the t'physical' appraoch is what suits us best.

Scotland have been overtaken by nations like Australia who outclassed Ireland today in Limerick with an understrength side and won 3-0.

If OZ can redefine its coaching strategy and the way it plays, then there is no reason why Scotland can't do the same.

Admittedly it may take a few years before the results were there to see, but hey...we can't ge tmuch worse persevering with the way we have been going...obviously its not working.

Time for a radical rethink!

@hibs.net private member
    No, no, no, no, no, NO!

He did alright at Motherwell didn't he
    In any film with Italian American characters, one of them must be called Vinny -Roger Ebert

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    We have to get away from the 'Braveheart' reputation andf think that the t'physical' appraoch is what suits us best.

Scotland have been overtaken by nations like Australia who outclassed Ireland today in Limerick with an understrength side and won 3-0.

If OZ can redefine its coaching strategy and the way it plays, then there is no reason why Scotland can't do the same.

Admittedly it may take a few years before the results were there to see, but hey...we can't ge tmuch worse persevering with the way we have been going...obviously its not working.

Time for a radical rethink!
    ye ken what you can do wi your blue sky thinking pal

No, no, no, no, no, NO!

Tried and found guilty years ago - a yesterdays man
    "No, No, a thousand times NO " !!!!!!!!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I'm all for Harry Plopper, he's the man who would turn us into a team that would qualify for tournaments.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    What about Mixu?

Like it or not think Scotland manager needs to have managed one of Rangers or Celtic to give him needed air of authority.

Burley clearly does not have it and everything he does seems to go wrong with the 2 wins v Iceland arguably the worst performances - a bit harsh given he managed in top flight in England and took relatively small club into top 6 and Europe.

Think Strachan would be better shout than Souness and would probably take the job. Dream (I suspect literally a dream) scenario is Everton have bad start to season and Moyes resigns and is available when Scotland job vacant.

At least if strapon got the job, we would only have to listen to him spout his hilarious crap once every 3 months or so.

Think we have to accept if we appoint a good manager we will risk losing him and SFA should see that as good thing as resultant compensation package gives money to attract quality candidates, not dissimilar to Hibs situation in fact.

It is not unique to us either - Eriksson was paid much more than any other international manger when at England - he may not have jumped ship to a club but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    At least if strapon got the job, we would only have to listen to him spout his hilarious crap once every 3 months or so.
    Don't really care what he says in media - he fills most of the requirements for job and would probably be up for it if call came.

What has Souness done of such note? He won silverwear with Rangers when they had a team of internationals, his attempts at the Premeirship were average at best, indeed the now maligned Burley has probably achieved more down there.

You assume Souness would be cheap for a kick off. There's nothing wrong with our potential manager jumping ship, indeed if doing well gets guys high profile jobs it could attract better candidates.

As for who? Strachan, Levien or Davies are the only likely Scots, beyond that I wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager if they are the right man.

What has Souness done of such note? He won silverwear with Rangers when they had a team of internationals, his attempts at the Premeirship were average at best, indeed the now maligned Burley has probably achieved more down there.

You assume Souness would be cheap for a kick off. There's nothing wrong with our potential manager jumping ship, indeed if doing well gets guys high profile jobs it could attract better candidates.

As for who? Strachan, Levien or Davies are the only likely Scots, beyond that I wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager if they are the right man.
    Shurely that is what we are looking for in our national manager............

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Aye but we wouldnae pick up many away points in Europe..............

Aye but we wouldnae pick up many away points in Europe..............
    No change there then.

An earlier poster asked how Souness did at Blackburn -

He took them from the Championship to the top-6 of the EPL and won the League Cup. Is there something to be ashamed of in that?!

He left Newcastle where he got them - which is higher than where they are now.

For all people like to knock his managerial record - which isn't great - he's still won trophies at most clubs he's been at.

I agree with the OP. I'm not saying Souness would be the perfect choice but I'd like to see a manager brought in who would strive to sort out the team of bluffers we have at the moment.

We've tried the soft touch and its failed. Its doubtful we'll finish second and, IIRC, even that may not be enough to get into the playoffs.

Being Scottish, we tend not to take to people who have been really successful (which GS was as a player and, to a lesser extent, as a manager) which is probably why we're also rans at most sports. Lead quote on Reporting Scotland (another joke of a national institution) last night - 'Hopefully we can sneak a draw' Real mantra for success that.

Souness done very well at Liverpool didn't he? With plenty money and good players and he still made an arse of it.

How he done well with the huns is beyond me. His methods of bullying people into playing (whilst amusing if you are not involved) wont work with Scotland. He cant "buy" in a team. He'd alienate the lot of the players and we'd be in worse **** than we are now.

We need a manager who has skill in management and some tactical brains. I hate to say it but potter or someone like that would do a job. Not a big useless has-been hun like Souness who'd maybe instill some fight...for a while, then lose the dressing room after fighting with them all!

Interesting that a guy once manager of the year in England and manager of an average Hearts team that he had romping through the SPL is suddenly no good.Couldn't be anything to do with the lack of international class players could it?There's not one of these players would get into the English team.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Souness - never in a hundred years. Apart from Rangers, where he was given an unprecedent pot of gold to buy English internationalists etc, he has been either sacked by, or fallen out with, every club he has been at.