hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Reputation tarnished?

Sorry to bring up 'trouble in Bolton' again but I've just been reading a thread on Pie n Bovril and we as Hibs fans seem to be getting absolutely slated for what went on in Bolton. Admittedly most seem to be yams, and many jumping on the bandwagon of simply labelling Hibs fans as hooligans. We all know that 99% of us who went down to Bolton had a great time and did the club proud, but I'm just worried that the trouble the small amount of trouble that did occur seems to have led to Hibs fans now being seen as some kind of thugs. I think a lot of people are quick to judge and label without knowing the facts. What are people's thoughts on this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to bring up 'trouble in Bolton' again but I've just been reading a thread on Pie n Bovril and we as Hibs fans seem to be getting absolutely slated for what went on in Bolton. Admittedly most seem to be yams, and many jumping on the bandwagon of simply labelling Hibs fans as hooligans. We all know that 99% of us who went down to Bolton had a great time and did the club proud, but I'm just worried that the trouble the small amount of trouble that did occur seems to have led to Hibs fans now being seen as some kind of thugs. I think a lot of people are quick to judge and label without knowing the facts. What are people's thoughts on this?
    There were a lot of idiots down there and a section of them spent so much time baiting Bolton fans that I doubt they saw any of the game. They won't read any comments on forums like this as they are not much interested in the football side of the club.

To be fair, I think it was considerably more than 1% of fans who caused trouble/behaved badly. However, most people are pretty clued-up about this and while it gives Yams with nothing better to do the opportunity for points scoring, people generally have some perspective on this.

Following on from Rangers in Manchester last year, one has to wonder whether its a good idea to have Scottish clubs with a persistent hooligan element playing 'friendlies' in England.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HFC Owain
    To be honest I could not care what other fans think. If other fans are scared of us good on them. Am a Hibs and Cardiff fan use to other teams not liking us! CCS and Soul Crew haha

I'm not on here to have a go at anyone who was involved in any trouble but I just find it annoying when other people generalise about our club's fans as whole

Quote Originally Posted by Owain_1987 View Post
    To be honest I could not care what other fans think. If other fans are scared of us good on them. Am a Hibs and Cardiff fan use to other teams not liking us! CCS and Soul Crew haha
    Grow Up

It just shows you how boring and tame football in this country has become when the things like what happened on Saturday are deemed as 'major voilence'. The "trouble" I witnessed wasn't any worse than what i've witnessed at other events when there's been a large group of men, having a bevvy. I've seen worse at gigs, T In The Park, up town on a Saturday night etc. If it wasn't for the internet the so-called "voilence" we all "witnessed" would've been a non-event, but the internet messageboards give people a platform to spout absulute p!sh and exaggarate, the media and others who havn't a clue pick up on this and make it out to be worse than it is, we then post links of these exaggarated articles and threads back on the forums. Mental.

Those that are 'disgusted' by the things that allegedly happened on Saturday aren't half excited by it all. A thread congratulating the Hibs support, 30 replies. A thread on the 'voilence', last time I looked over 220 replies.

Storm in a tea cup....

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Grow Up

Well said, we get invited down to Bolton for a testamonial game and a few with too much bevvy in them think it's a good idea to have a wee go at their supporters. Come on now, we are better than that surely

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    It just shows you how boring and tame football in this country has become when the things like what happened on Saturday are deemed as 'major voilence'. The "trouble" I witnessed wasn't any worse than what i've witnessed at other events when there's been a large group of men, having a bevvy. I've seen worse at gigs, T In The Park, up town on a Saturday night etc. If it wasn't for the internet the so-called "voilence" we all "witnessed" would've been a non-event, but the internet messageboards give people a platform to spout absulute p!sh and exaggarate, the media and others who havn't a clue pick up on this and make it out to be worse than it is, we then post links of these exaggarated articles and threads back on the forums. Mental.

Those that are 'disgusted' by the things that allegedly happened on Saturday aren't half excited by it all. A thread congratulating the Hibs support, 30 replies. A thread on the 'voilence', last time I looked over 220 replies.

Storm in a tea cup....
    My point exactly. That is why our club is getting a bad name because of overreactions and exaggeration.

Hope you are used to Hibs fans not liking you either.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

And if a few internet geeks on pie and bovril have tarnished our 'reputation' then good, I honestly couldn't give a flying f... as they are nothing to me and are nothing to their own fellow fans who actually goto matches.

Any match going Jambo, Sheepy, Motherwell fan etc will know what the score is with Hibs, that our fans are as good as they come but can on occassion have a nutty element, just like we know the same with them, despite having a hooligan element or a rangers-wannabe element, are generally fine.

Pleb.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic

And if a few internet geeks on pie and bovril have tarnished our 'reputation' then good, I honestly couldn't give a flying f... as they are nothing to me and are nothing to their own fellow fans who actually goto matches.

Any match going Jambo, Sheepy, Motherwell fan etc will know what the score is with Hibs, that our fans are as good as they come but can on occassion have a nutty element, just like we know the same with them, despite having a hooligan element or a rangers-wannabe element, are generally fine.
    Let's just hope the police agree. I'm not exactly confident that I'll have the chance to see Hibs on my doorstep for a long while now after Saturday's events. Hope I'm wrong.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Well said, we get invited down to Bolton for a testamonial game and a few with too much bevvy in them think it's a good idea to have a wee go at their supporters. Come on now, we are better than that surely

He says he's a 'Hibs and Cardiff fan use to other teams not liking us' - location 'Lockerbie'?

That, and "CCS and Soul Crew haha" just about says it all, really.

The unfortunate fact is that he ISN'T better than that. That's exactly the level at which he operates - two levels below pond-life.

You can debate this subject from now until doomsday and you would be no nearer to getting an answer.

I would imagine that whatever affiliations the hooligan elements claim to have, theirs is a mind-set completely divorced from any sporting spectacle which may be on show.

In another time in another place they would probably have been the spectacle themselves.

The Romans used often to put them in a ring with some mean and God forbidden opponent - a couple of lions for example - and let them get on with it.

Civilisation as it is has yet to devise an outlet of this type. Consequently, we are forced to have them attend the odd game of football where they wreak havoc on all and sundry.

Might it not be a good idea to ship them over to Afghanistan where with some light weapons and no body armour they could sort out that mess.

That was just an example. Ok maybe fans in Scotland know the score but do you think Hibs are going to be invited back for a friendly in England any time soon? I'm not saying there would be a problem, but just what has been built up into being a big thing may mean other clubs across the UK view us an 'unattractive' club.

Does anyone really believe that Hibs have a reputation to tarnish in the first place? Most fans of other teams that i know regard our support as having a ****bag element to it and i am no different in that opinion. Same applies to most other teams in Scotland with regards to them having an element of support that is not your average punter on the street purely there for to watch football.

Dearie me

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Let's just hope the police agree. I'm not exactly confident that I'll have the chance to see Hibs on my doorstep for a long while now after Saturday's events. Hope I'm wrong.
    We've hardly played any big clubs in England in the last 15 or so years, so if we don't go back down again I don't think it'll be anything to do with this.

When Scottish play English clubs and vice versa there's always potential for "trouble", or in my vew boisterous behaviour. Long drinking times, visiting places you've never been before, then off course the scotland v england thing. Not strictly just for big clubs aswell, even Wigan and St Mirren were having a pop at each other on Saturday!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

Storm in a tea cup....
    Good post. Trouble inside and outside the Calvin Harris gig last night but no one is suggesting gigs are stopped as far as I know.

I'm not an apologist for hooligans but it's merely a manifestation of how the rest of society is, mostly fine, some bad.

That was just an example. Ok maybe fans in Scotland know the score but do you think Hibs are going to be invited back for a friendly in England any time soon? I'm not saying there would be a problem, but just what has been built up into being a big thing may mean other clubs across the UK view us an 'unattractive' club.
    Couldn't tell you..... I'd say probably yes, 2500 paying customers and a few bodies went over the score.... to me, no big deal.

People seem to just think its a Hibs thing. Sunderland caused bother at Celtic Park, Man City had a pop at the Tims on Saturday, as above Wigan and St Mirren were at it, the huns and pompey were upto mischief, all just this pre-season. In previous years Hearts were at it down at Preston and Hull, Aberdeen at Bradford, Leeds up here etc etc.

@hibs.net private member gogs_t's Avatar
    That comment shouldn't even be deserving of a reply but I'm afraid I couldn't resist.

It's comments like that which highlight there will always be a problem when a guy who has been posting on here for quite a while comes out with guff like that pretty much glorifying the whole casual element. If we ever got to the stage when the majority had the same opinion, that's the day I'd walk away from football.

Thankfully that day will never come.

We've hardly played any big clubs in England in the last 15 or so years, so if we don't go back down again I don't think it'll be anything to do with this.

When Scottish play English clubs and vice versa there's always potential for "trouble", or in my vew boisterous behaviour. Long drinking times, visiting places you've never been before, then off course the scotland v england thing. Not strictly just for big clubs aswell, even Wigan and St Mirren were having a pop at each other on Saturday!
    I agree with what you are saying. But it would still be nice to have friendlies against English opposition in the future as it was a great trip to Bolton. I just fear this episode, which has indeed been built up, may at least contribute to Hibs being less likely to be given friendlies against English clubs in the future.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Storm in a tea cup....
    I wasn't in Bolton so don't have any first hand info, but I am pretty upset at the news if true.

If a few consenting adults want to have a rammy, then let them get on with it.

But if Hibs fans are rampaging through a retail park threatening and frightening families, then I find that disgusting behaviour, to be honest.

Or is scaring bairns fair game?

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

Storm in a tea cup....
    If it was such a big deal, surely it would have been picked up by the press in Scotland? The only paper I have seen it in (so far) is the local Bolton paper.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    If it was such a big deal, surely it would have been picked up by the press in Scotland? The only paper I have seen it in (so far) is the local Bolton paper.
    Whether it got picked up by the national press or not isn't the issue.

The issue is, are we defending people who like to threaten innocent bystanders?

To be honest, I don't think our reputation has been as much tarnished as sustained. We have this conceit that as a support we're universally loved for our wit and good humour. The truth is that, particularly in England, we're perceived as quite a thuggish club, and perhaps not undeservedly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    To be honest, I don't think our reputation has been as much tarnished as sustained. We have this conceit that as a support we're universally loved for our wit and good humour. The truth is that, particularly in England, we're perceived as quite a thuggish club, and perhaps not undeservedly.
    I was just about to ask "what reputation?"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by hibhib7 View Post
    There were a lot of idiots down there and a section of them spent so much time baiting Bolton fans that I doubt they saw any of the game. They won't read any comments on forums like this as they are not much interested in the football side of the club.

And here was me thinking that the point of going to a football match was to watch the football. Silly me!

"Baiting Bolton fans" (correct me if I'm wrong) means "trying to provoke Bolton fans to violence". That's what those guys were about - not the football.

Over the years I've been in a few scary places following Hibs. One of the better aspects of watching football nowadays is that the scary atmosphere has largely disappeared, thanks to seated stadia and better stewarding and policing.

No one should have to go to a sporting event wondering if they're going to be injured, abused, or put into a state of alarm by mindless thugs. No one should have to lift the phone at 7.00pm on a Saturday evening to be told that their son/husband/father is in hospital because there was 'trouble' at the game he went to see that afternoon.

I don't know exactly what happened at Bolton; from what I'm reading I suspect I've been in a lot worse situations over the years at OF games and derbies and afterwards.

But at a charity match the organisers and the police will want to keep costs to a minimum - to benefit the charity - and it appears that there were those who thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of more relaxed security to see if they could cause trouble. It's not what actually happens - it's what MIGHT happen, surely.