hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Riordan Spends Night In Cells.

According to todays Sun Riordan spent the night in the cells at the weekend after an incident up the town on Saturday night, alledgedly he gave some abuse to doormen outside a club and was arrested later on by L&Bs finest for not calming down with police.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to todays Sun Riordan spent the night in the cells at the weekend after an incident up the town on Saturday night, alledgedly he gave some abuse to doormen outside a club and was arrested later on by L&Bs finest for not calming down with police.
    Very interesting.

Not the fact that the sun are reporting it, but the fact you are reporting that the sun are reporting it.

I'm more concerned about how he appears to have been out on the lash in his Hibs training gear

Couldn't give two hoots what these guys get upto off the pitch, so long as they do the job on the park then I'm a happy bunny.

the guy is going to have to take a reality check. Seems like he wants to self-destruct his football career.

Wouldnt want to face yogi on monday morning after this.

He just doesn't learn.

How many times??

DEREK Riordan's bust-up is just his latest nightclub rammy - yet he claims he's being PICKED ON.

We told in August how Riordan got a one-year ban for hurling abuse at door staff at Edinburgh's Berlin Bierhaus.

It was doubled after he was spotted in nightspot Espionage a few weeks later.

And it was increased to five years in November after he was caught in the Hive venue.

But Riordan recently claimed: "I've been unfairly treated, I did nothing to get the ban. People think I'm badly behaved but players go out every week. Some get away with it, I don't. I'm in bed by 1am."

In August 2007, he was cleared in court of an assault at a pub in Edinburgh the previous December.

The bit in bold IMO is what needs to stop, EVERY week these guys are out on the bevvy, and probably more than once a week as well. It's no wonder that Scottish football is in the state it is when what this current lot seem to look forward to most on a Saturday is getting pished on George Street, rather than the football itself.

Not sure if Deeko is in bed by 1am every week, although since he's banned from everywhere, maybe that is the case!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    How many times??

DEREK Riordan's bust-up is just his latest nightclub rammy - yet he claims he's being PICKED ON.

We told in August how Riordan got a one-year ban for hurling abuse at door staff at Edinburgh's Berlin Bierhaus.

It was doubled after he was spotted in nightspot Espionage a few weeks later.

And it was increased to five years in November after he was caught in the Hive venue.

But Riordan recently claimed: "I've been unfairly treated, I did nothing to get the ban. People think I'm badly behaved but players go out every week. Some get away with it, I don't. I'm in bed by 1am."

In August 2007, he was cleared in court of an assault at a pub in Edinburgh the previous December.

The bit in bold IMO is what needs to stop, EVERY week these guys are out on the bevvy, and probably more than once a week as well. It's no wonder that Scottish football is in the state it is when what this current lot seem to look forward to most on a Saturday is getting pished on George Street, rather than the football itself.

Not sure if Deeko is in bed by 1am every week, although since he's banned from everywhere, maybe that is the case!
    Agree 100%.

Whether he's getting into trouble or not, Scottish footballers need to wise up and drag themselves into the 21st century.

The days of drinking like a fish and still performing are gone. The drinking culture in Scottish football is no longer funny nor "groundbreaking". It's embarrassing and the results from Celtic, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Falkirk, Hibs and Hearts recently should have alarm bells ringing right the way through Scottish Football.

He needs to screw the nut and quickly, he has undoubted talent but he isn't as good as he thinks he is, his prformance against a championship defence reinforced that, a talent yes but heading down the drain rapidly if this keeps up.
    I would expect Hughes to sort him out as this could be his biggest challenge this year.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    So what

If he continues to play well for Hibs i couldnt care less what he does in his spare time.

Although looking at the sources for this article, id be fairly certain its a load of p*sh

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by piemanpilley View Post
    So what

If he continues to play well for Hibs i couldnt care less what he does in his spare time.

Although looking at the sources for this article, id be fairly certain its a load of p*sh
    Oh aye big pile o pish! He gets arrested and a fixed fine can't really see anything more conclusive than that.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    I'm more concerned about how he appears to have been out on the lash in his Hibs training gear

Couldn't give two hoots what these guys get upto off the pitch, so long as they do the job on the park then I'm a happy bunny.
    I wouldn't be concerned if I thought that any relevant players performed to their potential most weeks. Riordan doesn't.

If it was a middle of the road player, who wasn't a lifelong Hibs fan, being constantly accused of doing the same stuff - say DVZ or Keenan - the majority of fans would want him punted.

Guys this is true, he was lifted outside Bar Napoli shouting and swearing at the police. I only caught the tail end of it but the taxi driver who's cab i got in said he was going mental.

No idea what kicked it off and i haven't read the reports in the papers but he wasn't a happy man. This boy has bags of talent when will he learn if he is going out not to bite to abuse he gets. For me if he keeps doing this i can't see Yogi standing for it and he may well be shown the door sooner rather than later.

Riordon if your reading this screw your head and start performing on the pitch. Your one of the best goal scorers in the league and your throwing it away by going out with guys who are hell bent on getting you into bother. Sure they are your mates???

First Team Breakthrough Joy Zipper's Avatar
    Off the field, he is a total embarassment for the club.

First Team Breakthrough
    His seemingly pathological desire to get into night clubs which he knows he is barred from is the most worrying bit for me. Time for some kind of therapy? This isn't a nineteen year old laddie anymore.

I've said it time and time again, on his wage he could easily fly down to London with his "mates" for a night out on a Saturday and blend into the crowd. Trouble is, he wouldn't be the "big man in town" in London at all and he wouldn't like that one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned if I thought that any relevant players performed to their potential most weeks. Riordan doesn't.

If it was a middle of the road player, who wasn't a lifelong Hibs fan, being constantly accused of doing the same stuff - say DVZ or Keenan - the majority of fans would want him punted.

Deeks ability and being a Hibbie cut him a lot of slack with us that others wouldnt get.

Hes been given the chance to resurrect his career at the club he supports and hes got a new manager who'd id have thouight he'd have been trying to impress with his off field attitude as much as his on field displays.

At 26 the hes just a young boy out enjoying himself defence doesnt cut it with me anymore. At this stage in his life and career id be expecting more maturity and an appreciation of his responsibilities but thats probably too much to ask for from Deek.

First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piemanpilley View Post
    So what

You are 18 and maybe you look up to guy's like Riordan as this is what the majority of youth's seem to be doing every weekend.
    Riordan has been banned from every nightclub in town, warned as many time's but yet still goes out and put's himself in those situations. I can't believe it. He say's he's getting picked on but if he wasn't wandering around the streets looking to sneak into places then things would be fine.
    He needs to keep his head down for a few years, grow up and start concentrating on playing well for Hibs as they gave him the chance off coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by skankomcphee View Post
    His seemingly pathological desire to get into night clubs which he knows he is barred from is the most worrying bit for me
    The place he was trying to get in to is not part of the Unite scheme, so he wasn't barred from it.

A source close to the club said: "He's not got an official ban"

Blog Entries
    I'm an old fart & I have considerable sympathy for Deek. To my knowledge he has never been convicted of anything yet he's barred from clubs/pubs etc seemingly at random & for what seems to be an ever increasing period. It must be very frustrating for him to be out with friends & then to be stopped by some doorman for no good reason. Of course once you start arguing you automatically end up in the wrong & things can easily escalate from there.
    Having said that I agree with all posters who decry our drink culture.

PS, it must also be frustrating for Deek to spend a Saturday afternoon playing up front beside a wardrobe!

Appears to be true - breach of the peace he was arrested for on Hannover st.

Once he is refused entry to a place he should go away quieter. Either way its his own spare time. All I care about is if he produces the goods on a Saturday.

Left by mutual consent! George Clooney's Avatar
    All night club bouncers are Hearts fans.

FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Zipper View Post
    Off the field, he is a total embarassment for the club.
    Doesn't embarrass me.

A lot of this is exaggerated and hyped up in the gutter press which is mostly written by and for morons in any case.

I've seen and spoken to him up the town when he was supposed to have been 'hammered' etc and he was fine, not drunk at all. So I take a lot of this with a pinch of salt.

Not denying there's been a few incidents, obviously the guys got in a bit of bother now and again, but the amount of stick Deek gets off pished up jambos is unreal.

Instead of jumping the gun and sticking the boot in we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. The amount of folk taking the moral high ground and jumping on the bandwagon is unreal. After all he's one of the most talented players to have played for the cabbage for years, and he's also one of us.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    There's been better players than Riordan whose careers have been over by the time they are thirty as a direct consequence of their lifestyles.

Methinks the all saintly deeks is fast tracking in the same direction.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    The one thing that links all these incidents is alcohol. Deeks it appears is a total erse when full of the bevvy. FFS grow up your a 26 year old MAN not some silly teenager.

He states he is in bed by 1.00am so how come he was lifted at 2.40am
    Last edited by Kojock; 03-08-2009 at 08:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberni-mum View Post
    Dereks a young laddie who is more than entitled to go out with is mates. We cant expect him not to have a social life at his age! The problem may lie in the fact that he is a well kent face and hated by a large proportion of the city (40,000 if reports are to be believed ) Because of his reputation and record he will be watched every step of the way and goaded into a reaction while a 'passing' policeman is just waiting to lift him.

He has 2 options - have no social life or leave edinburgh.
    I think the problem lies somewhere in this line of thinking.

"We cant expect him not to have a social life at his age!"

Very true. But for guys like Riordan and in fact most people in Scotland, a "social life" = Drinking, pubs, nightclubs etc.

I'm sure the Arsenal team have excellent social lives. They're out with their family/friends, eating well at nice restaurants. They catch up with friends and have a laugh. Guys like Henry and the rest of Wenger's boys were mostly tee-total, they know exactly how to look after themselves but have excellent "social lives" as well.

The reason i chose Arsenal as an example is because in their prime with the likes of Henry and Viera, they had a very close knit team in which they all bonded well and were very close. Very obvious when you saw the whole team celebrating a goal. This blows away the myth in Scotland (endorsed by the Goram, McCoist, Gazza Rangers team) that you can only bond as a team by going out and getting smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Doesn't embarrass me.

A lot of this is exaggerated and hyped up in the gutter press which is mostly written by and for morons in any case.

I've seen and spoken to him up the town when he was supposed to have been 'hammered' etc and he was fine, not drunk at all. So I take a lot of this with a pinch of salt.

Not denying there's been a few incidents, obviously the guys got in a bit of bother now and again, but the amount of stick Deek gets off pished up jambos is unreal.

Instead of jumping the gun and sticking the boot in we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. The amount of folk taking the moral high ground and jumping on the bandwagon is unreal. After all he's one of the most talented players to have played for the cabbage for years, and he's also one of us.
    Exactly. I've seen him a few times in town never really went to speak to him though as I generally talk alot of crap when I'm hammered.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Supergogs
    Sounds like a good excuse to wheel this one out:

http://www.onlineshaversweekly.com/s...weekly006.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Doesn't embarrass me.

Whereas of course if he was a Hearts player you, me and everyone else on this board would have been ripping in to him for his behaviour, hyped-up or not.

He's a Hibby, fine. Doesnt stop him being a tool when he's out. Pretty much everyone other professional footballer appears to be able to manage their private lives effectively.

As for being one of the most talented players - undoubtedly. When he's on form, he's a joy to watch and worth the admission alone.

But he was also (one or two shots notwithstanding) utterly ineffective and anonymous on Saturday, petulant as always and taking no responsibiity for his own total inability to pass a football. This may be because he likes being out on the lash, or maybe its just because he had a poor game, but if it had been a Keenan or a DVZ, he would have been hunted on here this morning. Whatever the reason for him being banged up, getting arrested the night after a pitiful personal performance, a few days before much tougher friendlies that people are paying a lot of money to go and watch is - at the very least - irresponsible, and at worst disrespectful to supporters of the club.

I hope Yogi rips him a new one

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonR View Post
    Sounds like a good excuse to wheel this one out:

http://www.onlineshaversweekly.com/s...weekly006.html

That was on the go when I was going up town regularly. Hand printed copies then mind.

As for Deek, he needs to get a grip or Hibs need to get him decent minders to keep him out of bother when he is up town.