hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Ashes

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Game for poofs, i'm sure it would get a lot more interesting if they played on through the rain. There cant be many sports were getting a little wet stops play?
    Course there is.

Why do you think competitive swimming is always indoors?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye...® View Post
    Course there is.

@hibs.net private member
    Game for poofs, i'm sure it would get a lot more interesting if they played on through the rain. There cant be many sports were getting a little wet stops play?
    Tennis is the same - they should get a pair of studs on and carry on.

BTW - England have been impressive this afternoon. I see the Aussies took the light - a wee bit unsporting, maybe they'll have to get off their high horse now.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I think it's more to do with protecting the playing surface but it is a poofs game cricket that is.

Course there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Short answer to your first question - YES.

Second question - YES.

Cook and Strauss gave England the best start imaginable - that was the highest opening partnership against Australia at Lord's EVER - and then the middle-order - Bopara, Collingwood and Pietersen were IMO guilty of throwing away that advantage. They all three were lacking in concentration - Pietersen needs to get over the loss of the captaincy and start working at his batting again - and Prior lost his wicket carelessly to say the least.

Strauss may be defending them in public, but he has to feel a little let down. 425 is a decent lead, but nothing like what it should have been.

But they've got two early Aussie wickets, including Ponting's, and they just have to settle down and make sure they don't let the Aussies off the hook.

But the Australian order doesn't often collapse....

RAIN.
    Good response thanks.

As I thought then. I reckon England will loose this and Strauss has every right to feel let down here.

I'm a tad worried how into cricket i'm getting lately, I've always rubbished it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

BTW - England have been impressive this afternoon. I see the Aussies took the light - a wee bit unsporting, maybe they'll have to get off their high horse now.
    Why unsporting - it's all part of the game. It's up to the umpires to decide when the light isn't good enough, no one else. A lot depends on who's bowling at the time - if the bowlers are fast or medium-pace, then the likelihood of the offer being made increases, because obviously it's more difficult to play a fast or medium-paced bowler than a slow bowler, and there's more likelihood of injury to the batsmen (and incidentally, the close fielders too) - and avoiding injury to players is what offering the light is about.

Batsmen in a tight spot like the Aussies are in will always take the light. It's a legitimate part of the game. Not unsporting, and nothing whatsoever to do with high horses. Ashes series are always played in this sort of spirit from both sides - loads of speech-play, loads of sledging, loads of competitive edge on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_mad_mental_hibby View Post
    Good response thanks.

As I thought then. I reckon England will loose this and Strauss has every right to feel let down here.

I'm a tad worried how into cricket i'm getting lately, I've always rubbished it.
    Never predict, mate - England have the Aussies by the short hairs right now....

215 all out - the Aussies can now be asked to follow on - go right out and bat again, needing 211 to put England back in.

There's nearly three days left, so England have plenty of time to bowl them out and then to bat again to win the match.

If Strauss makes the Aussies bat again now, the Aussies will need to bat for at least all of today and tomorrow, and make somewhere in the region 0f 520 runs, to have a chance of winning or drawing.

This, you will understand, is a tall order. Only rain or the mother and father of all collapses can save Australia now.

(I notice that Hussey and Clarke were both out at 111. Seems Lord Nelson's determined to take a major role in this game.... )
    Last edited by --------; 18-07-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Gamer IDs

So England have decided to bat.

Taking a risk on the weather....

Forecast not that good. I think I'd have told Ponting to get his pads on.

Edit: 0 for 57 - going well. Only the rain can save the Aussies now, I'd say.
    Last edited by --------; 18-07-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Gamer IDs

2 for 105 off 25 overs.

Going at more than 4 an over, and now 315 ahead.

Australia will have to break a few records (and the England bowlers bowl like twonks) to save this one now.

Or it'll have to rain for most of the last 2 days....

Gamer IDs

England are BURYING them.

Edit: This is absolutely brilliant. They're going along at 4 an over.

5 for 304 off 70. Wow!
    Last edited by --------; 18-07-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Fascinating stuff. You would imagine England won't hang about long tomorrow I'm sure, if indeed they do bat again - if they're serious about trying to win the match they need to give themselves the time to do it on what remains a batting pitch. Australia's first-innings collapse is unlikely to repeat itself - losing five of the top seven for thirty-five runs is surely an aberration.

Credit to England though - they've worked to get themselves into this position. Still find it hard to see past Australia for the series though - either Johnson finds his touch or Clark (or Lee) returns and that would tip things enough in their favour IMO.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

Fascinating stuff. You would imagine England won't hang about long tomorrow I'm sure, if indeed they do bat again - if they're serious about trying to win the match they need to give themselves the time to do it on what remains a batting pitch. Australia's first-innings collapse is unlikely to repeat itself - losing five of the top seven for thirty-five runs is surely an aberration.

Credit to England though - they've worked to get themselves into this position. Still find it hard to see past Australia for the series though - either Johnson finds his touch or Clark (or Lee) returns and that would tip things enough in their favour IMO.

6 for 311 at close - the lead's 521 already.

Unless the rain comes, I can't see Australia saving this. A rain-affected draw's the best they can hope for, and that's a long shot.

If I were Strauss I'd put them in first thing tomorrow morning and let the pace men have a good go at them fresh. There's no way England can lose this one.

6 for 311 at close - the lead's 521 already.

Unless the rain comes, I can't see Australia saving this. A rain-affected draw's the best they can hope for, and that's a long shot.

If I were Strauss I'd put them in first thing tomorrow morning and let the pace men have a good go at them fresh. There's no way England can lose this one.
    I think the weather will have the say. Nevertheless, records are there to be broken and in Test cricket they seem to be getting broken exponentially. Six sessions on what remains a good batting track is actually ample time for a team of Australia's calibre to score the necessary runs but it would still be an outstanding feat. I suppose that's the trick in declaring - ensuring there's enough incentive for the Australians to actually go for it.

@hibs.net private member
    Why unsporting - it's all part of the game. It's up to the umpires to decide when the light isn't good enough, no one else. A lot depends on who's bowling at the time - if the bowlers are fast or medium-pace, then the likelihood of the offer being made increases, because obviously it's more difficult to play a fast or medium-paced bowler than a slow bowler, and there's more likelihood of injury to the batsmen (and incidentally, the close fielders too) - and avoiding injury to players is what offering the light is about.

Batsmen in a tight spot like the Aussies are in will always take the light. It's a legitimate part of the game. Not unsporting, and nothing whatsoever to do with high horses. Ashes series are always played in this sort of spirit from both sides - loads of speech-play, loads of sledging, loads of competitive edge on both sides.

I know it is - but so is time-wasting.

I just thought it was funny that they agreed to play under the lights then when they realised they were toiling started to complain to the umpires about shadows!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I know it is - but so is time-wasting.

I just thought it was funny that they agreed to play under the lights then when they realised they were toiling started to complain to the umpires about shadows!
    Part of the problem is that in fully floodlit matches a white ball is used so it stands out against the shadow, whilst the red ball being used just now is more easily confused with the shadows. I think a pink ball is being developed for trial in a floodlit test match next year.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Whilst not a huge fan of the vastly overrated English, it's hilarious to see the vastly over hyped Aussies getting absolutely trousered. They arguably outrank even the Americans as the most up themselves arrogant nation when it comes to sport!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp® View Post
    Whilst not a huge fan of the vastly overrated English, it's hilarious to see the vastly over hyped Aussies getting absolutely trousered. They arguably outrank even the Americans as the most up themselves arrogant nation when it comes to sport!
    Oh i dont know, the english can give them a good game. In fact the cricketers are just as bad. Those who won the ashes in 2005 are so full of themselves, and talk about it as if it was a regular occurance. And they were all awarded gongs from the queen, for winning a competition that had 2 teams competing in it. Come on the aussies.

Gamer IDs

Oh i dont know, the english can give them a good game. In fact the cricketers are just as bad. Those who won the ashes in 2005 are so full of themselves, and talk about it as if it was a regular occurance. And they were all awarded gongs from the queen, for winning a competition that had 2 teams competing in it. Come on the aussies.

They're sinking without trace right now, mate.

Rather pleased for Strauss. He should have had the captaincy before Pietersen last time round, IMO. He comes across as a very decent guy, and hopefully this result will sort a few things out for him vis-a-vis the rest of the team.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Not quite as cut and dried as we thought. The odds still heavily favour England and one more wicket pretty much lets them loose on the tail ... but hats off to Clarke & Haddin for a decent fight. Will become pretty interesting though if those two can make it through to lunch tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp® View Post

The Aussie's have always been able to 'walk the walk' to back up their confidence. They have a great attitude IMO- you wouldnt see them parading round on an open top bus after winning their first 2 team competition in donkeys, whereas England have been stuck in a 2005 time-warp for 4 years.

I think it was generally acknowledged that this isnt a great Australian team having just lost a host of world class players in a short space of time but these guys dont make excuses, they come with the right mentality. They are, especially without Brett Lee, a very ordinary side but I wouldnt be totally surprised if they at least made this one very close.

It's all over! England win by 115 runs. Flintoff takes five for.

The Aussies will be beeling. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Ponting will be under a tonne of pressure from old players and press. They could implode. I doubt it though. Even without a credible bowling attack they are mentally tough. I expect them to come back.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    It's all over! England win by 115 runs. Flintoff takes five for.

The Aussies will be beeling. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Ponting will be under a tonne of pressure from old players and press. They could implode. I doubt it though. Even without a credible bowling attack they are mentally tough. I expect them to come back.

So would I, but it may prove harder than they expect.

Most of their batsmen failed twice on a track that looked to favour the bat.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    So would I, but it may prove harder than they expect.

Most of their batsmen failed twice on a track that looked to favour the bat.
    Phil Hughes should be dropped, but they only took two opening batsmen with them. (???)

Mitchell Johnson should be dropped, but their only alternatives are Lee (who's injured) and Clark (who's just coming back from injury, and is too similar to their other medium pacers).

Unless Pietersen and Flintoff are genuinely injured, they're ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Phil Hughes should be dropped, but they only took two opening batsmen with them. (???)

Mitchell Johnson should be dropped, but their only alternatives are Lee (who's injured) and Clark (who's just coming back from injury, and is too similar to their other medium pacers).

Unless Pietersen and Flintoff are genuinely injured, they're ****ed.
    If Lee is fit he will play. But ideally Australia would want to keep Johnson in the team because otherwise their batting is diluted. None of the other all rounders -- Clark, MacDonald or Watson -- can match Johnson's batting. Clark is, or maybe that should be was, a very good bowler but he is no longer young and has had a lot of injuries and break downs.

Of course, the Aussies have been able to run their teams for a long time with only four bowlers because of the control McGrath and Warne gave the side. That luxury they are maybe going to have to let go.

The batting line-up is a major headache for the Aussies. Hughes looks vulnerable at the top of the innings every time he bats and it looks like England have found a way to get him out. Yet, as you say there's nobody else!

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted someone in.

Never mind. There is still very little between the teams. This series threatens to be as competitive as 2005, but it won't match that epic quality of four years ago.

Testimonial Due
    A couple of interesting articles about how cricket is expanding in scotland for those that are interested.

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/her...cricketers.php

http://www.cricketscotland.com/LizSmith

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Ouch!

Bit of a blow for England here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/8162048.stm

Does not look good for much play today. As I write, commentators at the ground are reporting a sodden outfield and it is still raining.

Australia have dropped Hughes and promoted Watson. I am assuming that will mean they are going to tamper with the batting line-up. Hussey to open?

Think we're looking at a four day Test match here. Inspection at 12pm but that means that they are not likely to get out before 1pm. Weather prediction is a shocker though, so wouldn't surprise me if it gets rained off today.

As for the teams, Hughes looks like he will be dropped and Hussey moved up the order to open. Watson to come in at 6 and everyone above shuffle up one place. England will be delighted if Johnson plays as well, although Ponting will use him sparingly I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by moff1875 View Post
    Think we're looking at a four day Test match here. Inspection at 12pm but that means that they are not likely to get out before 1pm. Weather prediction is a shocker though, so wouldn't surprise me if it gets rained off today.

As for the teams, Hughes looks like he will be dropped and Hussey moved up the order to open. Watson to come in at 6 and everyone above shuffle up one place. England will be delighted if Johnson plays as well, although Ponting will use him sparingly I suspect.
    Question: is Watson being brought in to shore up the batting or the bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Question: is Watson being brought in to shore up the batting or the bowling?
    I would suggest it could be a bit of both. Reports were that he had a good game against Northants and he's handy with the ball. I think Siddle will be promoted to open the bowling with Hilfenhaus, with Watson and Hauritz in support. They can always turn to Katich or Clarke for a bit of spin.

The Aussies did themselves no favours by bringing only two openers.