hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Ashes

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Thumbs Up 2009 Ashes

......starts tomorrow at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff No confirmation of teams yet.

Both sides have a bit of a new look from last time round. For England I think Broad and Swann will play an important role in dictating their chances over the series. Likewise Alastair Cook though I expect him to be the big target for the Aussies.

For Australia I'm looking for big things from Mitchell Johnson, Phil Hughes and Marcus North in particular. It will definitely be a different focus for them not having a strike threat through spin - Nathan Hauritz is much more conservative than Warne or MacGill. Could be an opportunity for Michael Clarke there...

Cannae wait
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye...® View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ......starts tomorrow at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff No confirmation of teams yet.

Both sides have a bit of a new look from last time round. For England I think Broad and Swann will play an important role in dictating their chances over the series. Likewise Alastair Cook though I expect him to be the big target for the Aussies.

For Australia I'm looking for big things from Mitchell Johnson, Phil Hughes and Marcus North in particular. It will definitely be a different focus for them not having a strike threat through spin - Nathan Hauritz is much more conservative than Warne or MacGill. Could be an opportunity for Michael Clarke there...

Cannae wait
    Cannae wait as well

I think Swann has the potential to give the Aussies a really hard time, with the majority of their batsmen being left handers he will enjoy turning the ball away from the bat on more than a few occasions. Not sure if playing two spinners in the first test is the key though, if Onions is jettisoned in favour of Panesar then they are choosing a woefully out of form Monty over Englands leading county wicket taker. Onions will fancy mixing it with the Aussies, word is he gave Justin Langer a torrid time in a county game and would have fancied doing the same to the current Aussie top order.

I am looking forward to seeing Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle in action. I like the look of Siddle. He is a wee angry in your face paceman who I think will take a lot of wickets this series.

I am going for a 3-1 or 2-1 Aussie series win. I think Englands batting line up is still very suspect and if the going gets tough, which it at times it will in this series, the could fold like a pack of cards. It is unlikely the Aussie middle order of Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, North will do they same. It depends how well Swann bowls I think.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    For those who are interested, there's a full run down of the rules of cricket here

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    For those who are interested, there's a full run down of the rules of cricket here

Quote Originally Posted by The Whip View Post
    Cannae wait as well

I think Swann has the potential to give the Aussies a really hard time, with the majority of their batsmen being left handers he will enjoy turning the ball away from the bat on more than a few occasions. Not sure if playing two spinners in the first test is the key though, if Onions is jettisoned in favour of Panesar then they are choosing a woefully out of form Monty over Englands leading county wicket taker. Onions will fancy mixing it with the Aussies, word is he gave Justin Langer a torrid time in a county game and would have fancied doing the same to the current Aussie top order.

I am looking forward to seeing Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle in action. I like the look of Siddle. He is a wee angry in your face paceman who I think will take a lot of wickets this series.

I am going for a 3-1 or 2-1 Aussie series win. I think Englands batting line up is still very suspect and if the going gets tough, which it at times it will in this series, the could fold like a pack of cards. It is unlikely the Aussie middle order of Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, North will do they same. It depends how well Swann bowls I think.
    Australia to win the series.

I think you're right to point to that batting depth in the middle for Australia. They're not shy of runs at the top or the bottom either. If it's about taking twenty wickets to win a match though they still seem to have that wee bit more threat than England (and more resilient batsmen).
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I think you're right to point to that batting depth in the middle for Australia. They're not shy of runs at the top or the bottom either. If it's about taking twenty wickets to win a match though they still seem to have that wee bit more threat than England (and more resilient batsmen).
    Don't know much about cricket but think i might tune in to watch this today (bored on a day off), was surprised to see that Australia are 2-1 to win the first test, why are their odds that high? i thought they would have been favourites, are they not the number 1 test team in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Don't know much about cricket but think i might tune in to watch this today (bored on a day off), was surprised to see that Australia are 2-1 to win the first test, why are their odds that high? i thought they would have been favourites, are they not the number 1 test team in the world?
    You can get 5/2 Australia. Bookies initially never take any chances with the draw which is as short as 6/5 in places which in turn forces bigger prices on the win. You get all the excitement in 30 sec slot on the news better doing something else on your day off.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There are a huge number of variables. Always a good chance of a draw and the sense of this series is that it could be a long, drawn-out battle. Australia are missing the vast experience of Brett Lee and the pitch in Cardiff suggests it will suit spin, an area where England look stronger than Australia.

If England win the toss and bat first (which they have) then they can get in a very strong position -build a good first-innings total to ensure they shouldn't lose the match.

Having said all that, they've just lost Strauss and the balance has maybe swung ever so slightly towards Australia. Two wickets on a slow-looking pitch before lunch on day one is good going. This afternoon's session should be interesting.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    3 for 194 - they're on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post

I love Unclyclopedia, some inspired stuff on there!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    3 for 194 - they're on their way.
    If Pietersen and Collingwood hang around and get centuries each it is going to be very difficult for Australia to get anything other than a draw or a loss.

Combine the fact that Australia are batting last on a supposedly turning pitch with England having the better spinning options, Australia could easily end up 1-0 down come Saturday or Sunday.

We are going to find out how much Australia miss their recently retired legends during this series and whether the new boys are up to the challenge of filling the rather large voids.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whip View Post

I love Unclyclopedia, some inspired stuff on there!

If Pietersen and Collingwood hang around and get centuries each it is going to be very difficult for Australia to get anything other than a draw or a loss.

Combine the fact that Australia are batting last on a supposedly turning pitch with England having the better spinning options, Australia could easily end up 1-0 down come Saturday or Sunday.

We are going to find out how much Australia miss their recently retired legends during this series and whether the new boys are up to the challenge of filling the rather large voids.
    They've got the batting depth. It's how they compensate for the lack of Warne in particular. I think Clark (not playing here of course) has the potential to offer some of the consistency and economy, if not the strike threat, that McGrath offered. This is probably the pitch that will suit their bowlers least though.

Collingwood just gone though......

They've got the batting depth. It's how they compensate for the lack of Warne in particular. I think Clark (not playing here of course) has the potential to offer some of the consistency and economy, if not the strike threat, that McGrath offered. This is probably the pitch that will suit their bowlers least though.

Collingwood just gone though......
    The game was in danger of getting away from the Aussies a little, that wicket will ease Ponting a little.

Now for Prior, no mug with the bat. Sh*te wicket keeper though!!

Australia to win, methinks. Prior at 6. Good grief!

Mind you, without Lee the Aussie bowling looks a bit insipid. But another wicket and they're into the tail. Yes, Freddie, you are part of the tail these days. Love it, if he could prove me wrong.

Gamer IDs

5 for 241 - a lot depends on Flintoff and Prior.

Nicely balanced right now.

I reckon Flintoff will depart quite quickly. Prior may hang around for a while with Broad and Swann who aren't the worst tail enders in the world. Broad is a potential number 7 and there is an argument for him to be above Flintoff in the batting order.

5 for 241 - a lot depends on Flintoff and Prior.

Nicely balanced right now.

New ball looming as well.

Broad will be hoping to make an impact too. He looks like he's a decent batsman but he's not been tested at this level yet.

Gamer IDs

5 for 296. England on top. Just the start they would have been looking for.

And 336 for 7 at the close.

An intriguing day's play. For me those two late wickets for Siddle have given Australia the slightest of edges. If they can wrap things up sharpish tomorrow morning they've got an opportunity to fill their boots batting-wise before the pitch really starts offering itself to Panesar and Swann.

EDIT - meant to include that perhaps the most meaningful thing today was Petersen's Achilles playing up. It's difficult to imagine England coming close to winning back the Ashes without him performing for them.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 08-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Telling us the score in the Australian fashion, are we? That a hint as to where your sympathies lie?

Aussies making a good fist of the reply so far, Ponting looking in fantastic touch.

A few moans on the BBC updates about Panesar. I wouldn't have touched him if I were selecting the English side. Onions would have been a much better option.

Solid, professional job by Ponting and Katich today.

Ponting's had the challenge of following some incredibly illustrious previous Australian captains but he's certainly one of their all-time greatest batsmen and doesn't get the recognition he should IMO. This series (potentially this innings ) could see him overtake Allan Border's career runs total, with the highest average outside of Bradman's. And he's got runs against everyone. Might be just beyond him to catch Tendulkar but undoubtedly one of the greats of the game.

Solid, professional job by Ponting and Katich today.

Ponting's had the challenge of following some incredibly illustrious previous Australian captains but he's certainly one of their all-time greatest batsmen and doesn't get the recognition he should IMO. This series (potentially this innings ) could see him overtake Allan Border's career runs total, with the highest average outside of Bradman's. And he's got runs against everyone. Might be just beyond him to catch Tendulkar but undoubtedly one of the greats of the game.
    I think today showed just why Australia will retain the Ashes. A far superior batting line up. I don't think there is too much between the bowling units but the Aussie batsmen, Ponting in particular, are far better than what England have to offer, including Pietersen.

Solid day for Australia.

Gives them a good opportunity to kick on tomorrow and then have two days to dismiss England and make any target they're set.

230-3 would have been good for England, but 250 with 1 down mean's it's definitely Australia's day.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Really looking forward to today.

I think the odds are just with Australia but England really need to make an early break-through or two.

I don't think there's much between the teams on ability but Australia are mentally tougher than England. Ponting gets a start and makes a ton: Pietersen makes 69, starts show-boating and gets out. Prior gets out in the second last over of the day when well set whilst you never felt that was even a remote posibility with Ponting and Katich.

If the Aussies get ahead you feel that they won't let England back into the game whilst England just seem to lack their bloody minded ruthlessness and are not quite able to take advantage of good positions and shut them out.

Anderson with two wickets so far. Punter needs removed pronto though and the key wicket to keeping the Aussies down to 450-500 I think.

Ponting out for 150, big breakthrough. England fighting back.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    Telling us the score in the Australian fashion, are we? That a hint as to where your sympathies lie?

Ah, I wondered who would spot that.

But I assure you that I am as fair-minded and unbiassed about this Ashes series as I've always been in the past.

I just find it more rational to say that Australia are 4 down for 348. I'm sure Ricky Ponting would agree with Sun Tzu below - first make sure you're not going to lose. THEN go for the jugular. So the number of wickets down right now is the important statistic. That, and the time.

4 for 348 at lunch on the third day? A lot depends on the next couple of sessions....

And these batsmen.
    Last edited by --------; 10-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Gamer IDs

4 for 402.

England need wickets, and soon. They don't want to give the Aussies any sort of a decent first-innings lead.

Hmm. 4 for 422.

13 behind with 6 wickets standing.
    Last edited by --------; 10-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Really looking forward to today.

I think the odds are just with Australia but England really need to make an early break-through or two.

I don't think there's much between the teams on ability but Australia are mentally tougher than England. Ponting gets a start and makes a ton: Pietersen makes 69, starts show-boating and gets out. Prior gets out in the second last over of the day when well set whilst you never felt that was even a remote posibility with Ponting and Katich.

If the Aussies get ahead you feel that they won't let England back into the game whilst England just seem to lack their bloody minded ruthlessness and are not quite able to take advantage of good positions and shut them out.
    I was just about to post something similar.

There is very little between the sides really, but the Australians are so much stronger mentally. They make solid decisions when in the same circumstances the England players make poor ones. And they don't wilt under pressure.

Back in 2005 I thought England were out of sight better than Australia but the Aussies made it competitive through their mental toughness.

Thats the scores level now, Aussie's to bat on today and maybe 1st session tomorrow get a lead of say 300, then try to skittle the Englanders out in 5 sessions

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Thats the scores level now, Aussie's to bat on today and maybe 1st session tomorrow get a lead of say 300, then try to skittle the Englanders out in 5 sessions
    Unfortunately there is to be a bit of rain around tomorrow so that may scupper that rather wonderful scenario!!