hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Angry

Sorry to let you all down guys but my boss has just changed my holiday dates and I am now working that week - there's no chance of getting the time off

I'm absolutely gutted especially as I haven't played Dalmahoy before.

Feel terrible about this and if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

I really wish you all the best on this.

Sorry again.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to let you all down guys but my boss has just changed my holiday dates and I am now working that week - there's no chance of getting the time off

I'm absolutely gutted especially as I haven't played Dalmahoy before.

Feel terrible about this and if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

I really wish you all the best on this.

Sorry again.
    Sorry to hear that mate. Don't worry about it though as I have reserves in place. At least you were able to let me know before teams have been finalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    Awesome news Houchy! Simply awesome!

I'd be happy with Bathgate - despite having lived in Bathgate for 18 years, I've never played the course!

It seems we have 12 guarenteed then.

Do you want to start getting the 4 teams registered?

Are my model groups OK? I'll let you fill in the a,b,c and d with the names of those who are your first choice 4.

If not, feel free to rearrange and come up with new groups!

Any mention of access to their leisure facilities afterwards?
    I didn't ask about using the facilities afterwards to be honest. I just wanted to try and secure the round so didn't want to seem greedy.

I'll put it to them next week once I've got the teams sorted out.

I've had to modify the teams slightly as cocopops wasn't on the list and he's confirmed as a definate so I've registered the first team which I've registered as Team Smith as that was the first 4 I had contact details for and that was a team of:

Me
    Scott M
    Greenlex
    Mike Eprile

Team Turnbull:

Tony Wright
    Mark Whelan
    H18sry
    Hibby Scott

Team Reilly:
    SG7nil
    Cocopops
    Godsahibby
    Greg Muir

Quote Originally Posted by HouchyŽ View Post
    Just got this from Dalmahoy:

Hi Lawrence

I have booked 3 times for you on Thursday 23rd July, starting at 6pm, 6.09pm & 6.18pm.

I hope the day goes well for you, and you raise lots of money for the charity.

Kind regards

Gordon Watt
    Golf Co-ordinator

That's ***** awesome.

My Plans were (but I've not heard from Harburn or Bathgate) was as follows:
    Bathgate/Harburn : 06:00 until 09:30 with the other groups at 06:10 and 06:20 (thought Bathgate as no big hills and 10 minutes from uphall whereas Harburn may be more difficult to get to uphall from at 09:30)

Uphall at 10:00 with the same ideas time wise

Turnhouse at 14:30

Dalmahoy as above: 18:00, 18:09 and 18:18.

From this, I think I'll need to ask Turnhouse for 14:00 to give us a bit more time.

Scott, I have got 4 others plus reserves if need be mate from Sky and HSBC.
    Turnhouse have changed us to 13:45 which means that we'll need to play uphall in a max of 3.5 hours (so 10-13.30 then 15 mins to get to turnhouse).

I did request 14:00 on 2 occassions but got 14:30 and 13:45 which makes me think there may be an outing at 14:00 so at least this way we'll get away before that and maybe have an additional 15 mins to grab a soup and a sandwich or a coffee.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quick update from Harburn. It should be ok and don't see any problems. There will be a small wait till it's confirmed thouh as most of the committee resigned at Sunday's AGM apparently. We will need to have an EGM and sort this all out before it's rubber stamped.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Quick update from Harburn. It should be ok and don't see any problems. There will be a small wait till it's confirmed thouh as most of the committee resigned at Sunday's AGM apparently. We will need to have an EGM and sort this all out before it's rubber stamped.
    Ooooh!!!! I disappear for a couple of weeks and scandal breaks loose!!!

Do you know what happened? Anything to do with the captain being accosted at the prizegiving and the fate of said accoster?

I'm intrigued now....
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Do you know what happened? Anything to do with the captain being accosted at the prizegiving and the fate of said accoster?

I'm intrigued now....
    I appreciate the efforts lex but one of the members at Bathgate has confirmed that they have offered us the 3 times we needed.

Confirmed times now:

Bathgate: 06:00
    Uphall: 10:00
    Turnhouse: 13:45 (so we'll really have to fly round Uphall.)
    Dalmahoy: 18:00

I'm intrigued now....
    It was to do with that, apparently the captain wanted to move that item up from number 8 on the agenda to number 1, and said that if he didn't get the 75% backing he needed then he'd walk, and this got a few people's backs up, and most voted against him, and he resigned, along with what appears to be most of the committee

But you didn't hear this from me

Edit: Lawrence, any idea if its the East or West Course we've got at Dalmahoy?
    Last edited by HibbyScott; 31-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quick suggestion - check and see if any of your workplaces do a "Matched Giving" program. We applied for this last year, when I (and my boss) were working for HBoS - they matched Ł500 donation, to give us a "total raised" of Ł1500!

I've only just found this out today - left the company 8 months ago, and they sent me a letter, which I've only just received!

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    I work for RBS and i'm 99% sure they do this.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    I work for RBS and i'm 99% sure they do this.
    Yeah, they do - worked with them once upon a yesterday and they helped with another charity event we organised!

Good to know we have the avenues!

I appreciate the efforts lex but one of the members at Bathgate has confirmed that they have offered us the 3 times we needed.

Confirmed times now:

Bathgate: 06:00
    Uphall: 10:00
    Turnhouse: 13:45 (so we'll really have to fly round Uphall.)
    Dalmahoy: 18:00
    Lawrence I was speaking with the Harburn secretary today and they would have been delighted to jave us. Quick suggestion to be shot down if need be. (sounds bad but I know what I mean) Harburn will give us the 2pm tee time if you wish to ditch Turnhouse. It may be better for the travel to Dalmahoy at half fiveish during the week with a quick nip[ along the A71. Getting from Turnhouse to Dalmahoy at that time of night might be a bit tight with the gyle and Mayury junctions to negotiate? Happy to go anywhere to be honest but the logistics may be better and Harburn are happy to accomodate. Just let me know.
    Alex

Lawrence I was speaking with the Harburn secretary today and they would have been delighted to jave us. Quick suggestion to be shot down if need be. (sounds bad but I know what I mean) Harburn will give us the 2pm tee time if you wish to ditch Turnhouse. It may be better for the travel to Dalmahoy at half fiveish during the week with a quick nip[ along the A71. Getting from Turnhouse to Dalmahoy at that time of night might be a bit tight with the gyle and Mayury junctions to negotiate? Happy to go anywhere to be honest but the logistics may be better and Harburn are happy to accomodate. Just let me know.
    Alex

And Harburn is flatter and an easier walk than Turnhouse (especially the 1st and 10th holes!!)...

although happy to play any of them (as long as it's no 4 rounds of Lothianburn... where I used to play... 2 rounds there could kill you, never mind 4!

I'm intrigued now....
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyScott View Post
    It was to do with that, apparently the captain wanted to move that item up from number 8 on the agenda to number 1, and said that if he didn't get the 75% backing he needed then he'd walk, and this got a few people's backs up, and most voted against him, and he resigned, along with what appears to be most of the committee

But you didn't hear this from me

Edit: Lawrence, any idea if its the East or West Course we've got at Dalmahoy?
    Tis more or less what happened I think.

You win a competition and get to the presentation and the whole thing goes tits up. I blame you ScottM. Never happened when I used to win things.

Gamer IDs

Tis more or less what happened I think.

You win a competition and get to the presentation and the whole thing goes tits up. I blame you ScottM. Never happened when I used to win things.
    Being the lightweight that I am, I was gone before the festivities kicked off! And besides, alcohol fuels most of today's problems - not an issue in your day I would imagine :

I've never played Turnhouse, so can't compare, but if it's hillier than Harburn, then it seems an easy option, to go for Harburn - particularly with the flexibility and easier route to Dalmahoy.

Nice to have a choice though, and I think Turnhouse should still be acknowledged for their offer to host us. It's just a shame that the timings have proved an issue.
    Last edited by Sylar; 01-04-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Being the lightweight that I am, I was gone before the festivities kicked off! And besides, alcohol fuels most of today's problems - not an issue in your day I would imagine :

I've never played Turnhouse, so can't compare, but if it's hillier than Harburn, then it seems an easy option, to go for Harburn - particularly with the flexibility and easier route to Dalmahoy.

Nice to have a choice though, and I think Turnhouse should still be acknowledged for their offer to host us. It's just a shame that the timings have proved an issue.
    I was working at the presentation and still don't know what actually happened Shows how much attention I pay

This has gone mental!!! The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Record and some bird from heat magazine have called me asking for the story after seeing me on the front page of the Courier today.

I have spent all day having pictures taken and speaking to journo's with more coming tomorrow.

I suppose it will raise the profile but didn't expect it to kick off this much.

The neighbours think I'm Tiger Woods.

I mean WTF!!!

This has gone mental!!! The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Record and some bird from heat magazine have called me asking for the story after seeing me on the front page of the Courier today.

I have spent all day having pictures taken and speaking to journo's with more coming tomorrow.

I suppose it will raise the profile but didn't expect it to kick off this much.

The neighbours think I'm Tiger Woods.

I mean WTF!!!
    Good work fellae. Your the man
    If you want me to do the burd from heat magazine for you just let me know.

Gamer IDs

Excellent news my man!

This really is coming along swimmingly - I didn't expect anywhere near this level of success at the outset. We've created a bit of a monster. Nationally raised profile will maybe be good at encouraging donations, sponsors and club involvement, as well as encouraging others to take part!

Need to get a glance at the courier now...

Gamer IDs

P.S. - don't forget the rest of us when you're becoming famous through these interviews

I jest of course - great work!

Excellent news my man!

This really is coming along swimmingly - I didn't expect anywhere near this level of success at the outset. We've created a bit of a monster. Nationally raised profile will maybe be good at encouraging donations, sponsors and club involvement, as well as encouraging others to take part!

Need to get a glance at the courier now...
    Front page no less and a continue on page 2!!!!

Houchy you have obviously been through so much for a fair amount of time. I would like to big you up for not only organising this but having the determination to actually take part anddo it too.

Gamer IDs

Front page no less and a continue on page 2!!!!

Houchy you have obviously been through so much for a fair amount of time. I would like to big you up for not only organising this but having the determination to actually take part anddo it too.
    Amen - the effort you're putting in, and continuing to put into this event will not only benefit others who have been through/are going through the hell you've experienced, but give an example of hope, and what can happen.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Great effort mate, it can only helo raise awareness for what we're doing.

Gamer IDs

You truly are an inspiration Houchy. Is your story online yet? - cant find it
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I would love to post something in response to all your comments and to sum up what's happened since I decided to try and arrange teams for this event but I truely am humbled and totally speechless. It's actually quite scary how much of a monster this has become in the last 24 hours.

This is my 5th attempt at posting something that doesn't sound like gratuitous pish and I realise that I'm still not there yet.

I'm actually quite scared of where it's going next and I really appreciate everyones efforts in taking part.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Houchy; 02-04-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Gamer IDs

I would love to post something in response to all your comments and to sum up what's happened since I decided to try and arrange teams for this event but I truely am humbled and totally speechless. It's actually quite scary how much of a monster this has become in the last 24 hours.

This is my 5th attempt at posting something that doesn't sound like gratuitous pish and I realise that I'm still not there yet.

I'm actually quite scared of where it's going next and I really appreciate everyones efforts in taking part.

Thank you.
    I have to say it hasn't surprised me and with a few months yet you might find you've got a lot more to come.

All the best

Last edited by sg7nil; 03-04-2009 at 08:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member Pheona's Avatar
    I read the story in the Metro this morning, but don't see a link to it on the site yet.

Good Luck to you all x

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    Record also:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ed...6908-21249790/

Good luck guys and remember and put up a sponsor link and I'm sure you'll do well on here

Gamer IDs

I'm quite simple speechless reading the stories. And 2nd most read story on the Sun's website today, too!

We had a personal reason for doing it last year - I lost a friend I'd known since primary 1 to a brain tumour - she was only 21 and it was a big shock. I think it helps to have the motivation.

This may sound wrong (but Lawrence will know what I mean), but I'm glad we also have another personal drive/reason for doing it this year.

This really is utterly unfathomable how big this is. We had no publicity last year, struggled to get courses/interest and it passed very quietly. This is truly a monster.

Perhaps now we have the teams/courses sorted AND have media coverage of the event, it would be an idea to get in contact with Hibs and let them know our intentions, and send them copies of the stories (if there are more we can get a hold of, then great!) to highlight the background of the event.

I'm not sure what I hope to achieve from getting in contact with the club. My various ideas were:

• Programme space on Matchdays to highlight the cause to other hibby's who may wish to sponsor us/also try the event themselves?
    • Sponsor us directly?
    • Get the club shop to make our uniforms at a charitable rate?

As I've said before, I don't mind getting touch the Hibs myself, but I'm not very "old" in terms of seasons served. I feel it would be better for a long-term supporter/existing ST holder to get in touch and see what they can do?

I'm in the middle of setting up a Justgiving website, which we can use to collect donations online for the event - I had one last year and it really helped!