hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowls

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our young Junior, Darren Prentice, won at Goldenacre last night against Dudley.
    Our SBA fours went down by a shot at Portobello.

George Prentice doesn't play until next week in the SBA singles.

BTW Andrew, is it right that you now have a certain Bob Linton as a member of your club?

WHAT!!! You must be joking!

Do you think I would still be a member???

Seriously, that's a new one on me. As far as I'm aware he's safely tucked up in Dean.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Managed to get through in the Scottish Pairs tonight against Penicuik's pair, played at Arniston.

Dalkeith's singles player, Davy Salkeld, qualified for the next round also; after an almighty gob at the 2nd last end!
    Last edited by James Connolly; 20-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    win for us guys tonight agaisnt a good craigintinney side!!!

23-18

2 in a row!!

cumon the whitehouse & grange!!

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    WHAT!!! You must be joking!

Do you think I would still be a member???

Seriously, that's a new one on me. As far as I'm aware he's safely tucked up in Dean.
    I was unreliably informed that he had also joined your club Andrew, and is now a member of both WH&G AND Dean, but that could all be rubbish, although I wouldn't put it past Bob to do this

Quote Originally Posted by James Connolly View Post
    Managed to get through in the Scottish Pairs tonight against Penicuik's pair, played at Arniston.

Dalkeith's singles player, Davy Salkeld, qualified for the next round also; after an almighty gob at the 2nd last end!
    Well done James.....the nearest i get to playing in the Scottish is when i go to watch someone from my club ...

Pumped again last night as Whitehouse slipped to a 7-2 defeat at home to West End. Getting better though. Lost by 10 shots last week and only 8 shots last night.

Saving myself for the Northern

Pumped again last night as Whitehouse slipped to a 7-2 defeat at home to West End. Getting better though. Lost by 10 shots last week and only 8 shots last night.

Saving myself for the Northern

The (not so) Mighty Seafield slumped to their third straight defeat last night.. three games so far have all gone 5 - 4 so we still have 12 points and may well not be bottom of the league!

Fat Stu and I are playing in the ELBA pairs tonight at Hillside (V Pilrig) hopefully they'll just forget to turn up!

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    The (not so) Mighty Seafield slumped to their third straight defeat last night.. three games so far have all gone 5 - 4 so we still have 12 points and may well not be bottom of the league!

Fat Stu and I are playing in the ELBA pairs tonight at Hillside (V Pilrig) hopefully they'll just forget to turn up!
    Northern lost to Liberton 5-4 last night in a game that could have went 9-0 either way. After playing a great bowl at the last end to lie game and a 6-3 victory for us, their skip, auld George Blakie, who had a great himself, got a we bit lucky with his last bowl and ended up with two. I still had a very good chance to draw the shot and played one of the worst bowls you can ever imagine in a situation like that, short and tight .

Saving myself for the big game against

Playing in the Scotish Pairs at Seafield tomorrow night against Goldenacre. Going to take my big pencil with me as I couldn't draw a matchstick man last night

Im struggling to fulfill my ties this year due to work...i got beaten 21-18 in the Championship ...won 21-10 in the handicap (both of us off 5) but im more likely to be scratched from the 2 bowl single hand as i think it was to be played Sunday past ...i also have my hope pairs tie to be played by Tues !!!...i havent seen the cut off for my Scottish pairs tie (different partners) nor my triple nor my rink !!!!....

Seriously thinking of just leaving the bowls in the locker the rest o the season ..i feel its gonna be a complete wash oot for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Im struggling to fulfill my ties this year due to work...i got beaten 21-18 in the Championship ...won 21-10 in the handicap (both of us off 5) but im more likely to be scratched from the 2 bowl single hand as i think it was to be played Sunday past ...i also have my hope pairs tie to be played by Tues !!!...i havent seen the cut off for my Scottish pairs tie (different partners) nor my triple nor my rink !!!!....

Seriously thinking of just leaving the bowls in the locker the rest o the season ..i feel its gonna be a complete wash oot for me ...
    I know the feeling mate; this time of year can be really hectic, trying to fulfil bowling commitments alongside work.

There's only so much you can do; if it means giving away a couple of single-hand ties, then so be it; it's harder when you're playing with other people though, as you don't want to leave them short.

I know the feeling mate; this time of year can be really hectic, trying to fulfil bowling commitments alongside work.

There's only so much you can do; if it means giving away a couple of single-hand ties, then so be it; it's harder when you're playing with other people though, as you don't want to leave them short.
    Ive been on nights since November but i thought it would be easier to get along to the club ..not so as im too bloody knacked !!!.. ...as for the pairs etc ..i had the chance to pair up with my Scottish pairs partner for the hope pairs (2 bowl) he is retired & available at the drop of a hat however i decided to link up with a former Junior who has just been promoted to the Esk league team & he isnt as easy to get hold of ..bloody young uns !!! ....

Sounds like you better get some practice in Kenny for the BIG game against the mighty Northern Hibees

Sounds like you better get some practice in Kenny for the BIG game against the mighty Northern Hibees
    I play better when im angry ........

Better weather tonight than last Friday; hope we can keep our 100% record up, at home to Bonnyrigg!

Better weather tonight than last Friday; hope we can keep our 100% record up, at home to Bonnyrigg!
    Good luck James, hope ye keep up yer impressive start ..oh ..& good luck as skip tonight ...

I think we are away tonight to Loanhead Private tonigh ..im working though ...

Glad they did turn up stu, 16-6 didn't even bother with the last end. although have to admit we got the rub of the green on more than one occasion.

on the point of league games i've still not lost one.

Good luck James, hope ye keep up yer impressive start ..oh ..& good luck as skip tonight ...

I think we are away tonight to Loanhead Private tonigh ..im working though ...
    Managed a 6-2 victory last night; unfortunately my rink got beat by 3 shots, but the 2 points is the main thing!

Back down to 3rd next week...hopefully.

Managed a 6-2 victory last night; unfortunately my rink got beat by 3 shots, but the 2 points is the main thing!

Back down to 3rd next week...hopefully.
    Well done (skip) ..fek your gonna be back in the 2nd div in no time ..

No sure of the Jewel result as Scotlawnbowls site is down, plus the fact no-one has phoned me ..i fear the worst ...

Got beat by Goldenacre in the SBA Pairs on Friday. I wont go into the ins and outs of the game, we probably deserved to come 2nd. What annoys me is when you come to the Northern, Scottish ties are given the same respect in the draw for rinks as any club member but invariably, when we visit other clubs in the Scottish, we end up on 'end rinks'.
    On Friday, it happened again but I was reliably informed that this club reckon their end rink is the best they have. Given that's the case, thank the good lord they didn't put us on their worst rink, it makes the Northern members really appreciate just how good our green is compared to most others.
    Not sour grapes at getting beat, just frustrating at certain clubs standards or policies.

Got beat by Goldenacre in the SBA Pairs on Friday. I wont go into the ins and outs of the game, we probably deserved to come 2nd. What annoys me is when you come to the Northern, Scottish ties are given the same respect in the draw for rinks as any club member but invariably, when we visit other clubs in the Scottish, we end up on 'end rinks'.
    On Friday, it happened again but I was reliably informed that this club reckon their end rink is the best they have. Given that's the case, thank the good lord they didn't put us on their worst rink, it makes the Northern members really appreciate just how good our green is compared to most others.
    Not sour grapes at getting beat, just frustrating at certain clubs standards or policies.
    Pretty crap that Mike, any club (Scottish ties) that come to the Jewel are given rinks 2 3 or 4 ..dates are put in the calendar so any home comps must be played on the outside rinks ...

Ps ..we got hammered in the Esk on Friday at Loanhead ..no excuses..these guys were **** hot ...

Hard lines Burnsie, Rink 1 is easily the best rink on that green, I should know cause I played on it for years! Because of the amount of ties there were that night, 7 rinks were put on instead of the usual 6 so I guess that was why the tighter hand was dodgier than usual along with the big swinger (that hand never changes).

I go out in the u25 tonight against tanfield at Queensbury!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post
    Hard lines Burnsie, Rink 1 is easily the best rink on that green, I should know cause I played on it for years! Because of the amount of ties there were that night, 7 rinks were put on instead of the usual 6 so I guess that was why the tighter hand was dodgier than usual along with the big swinger (that hand never changes).

I go out in the u25 tonight against tanfield at Queensbury!
    That being the case then I apologise to Leith. However, with 7 rinks being on (I did actually notice this) playing on an end rink made it an illegal set up as the side ditch, particularly at one corner, did not have the required distance between ditch and edge of rink. Leith are not alone of course in this, there are many greens that simply cannot meet that requirement (2 yards I believe, which is a lot)

Good luck tonight in your U25's game tonight.

papped in the Singles tonight 21-9 against Alan Brown (Gorgie Mills). Struggled with my weight all night but was 8-7 up at one point. Alan really came onto a game and no contest at the end

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    papped in the Singles tonight 21-9 against Alan Brown (Gorgie Mills). Struggled with my weight all night but was 8-7 up at one point. Alan really came onto a game and no contest at the end

hard luck andy,

lets hope you get more luck tomorrow,

we are away to coltbridge and a don't have half my team
    so a few replacements but hopefully we can get something,

and its us on the 4th so hopeing to get a we bit practise for that

anyways see you at the club mate,

You had mentioned that you were supposed to be playing at Seafield... was that a slip of the tongue? I organise the rinks for external ties and (like Happy) we always put them on rinks 2,3 and 4 so I was surprised to see you claimed to be on an end rink...

As it happens we had a SBA triple on Friday at Seafield, and they were on rink 2, but as we had the green running "the wrong way" (away from the clubhouse), they weren't happy as they were playing directly into the low sun... tough huh!

You had mentioned that you were supposed to be playing at Seafield... was that a slip of the tongue? I organise the rinks for external ties and (like Happy) we always put them on rinks 2,3 and 4 so I was surprised to see you claimed to be on an end rink...

As it happens we had a SBA triple on Friday at Seafield, and they were on rink 2, but as we had the green running "the wrong way" (away from the clubhouse), they weren't happy as they were playing directly into the low sun... tough huh!
    Slip of the Brain. I misread the board and turned up at Seafield, shoes changed, bowls out, then in come three from Goldenacre. I thought, good on you for supporting the club but coming fully dressed is a bit much. Then they all started changing into bowling shoes and that's when I queeried their intentions. Turns out, we were in the wrong venue but fortunately (?) we were playing over in Leith so made it no problem. I knew we were playing Goldenacre but didn't look at the board properly and ended up at the wrong place. :asshole:

Slip of the Brain. I misread the board and turned up at Seafield, shoes changed, bowls out, then in come three from Goldenacre. I thought, good on you for supporting the club but coming fully dressed is a bit much. Then they all started changing into bowling shoes and that's when I queeried their intentions. Turns out, we were in the wrong venue but fortunately (?) we were playing over in Leith so made it no problem. I knew we were playing Goldenacre but didn't look at the board properly and ended up at the wrong place. :asshole:
    Sorry Mike...

You were bloody lucky you were at Seafield then.. Imagine you'd turned up at Niddrie or somewhere further away!... I better check that it's actually Merchiston I'm at tomorrow now.. ELBA ties can be bloody anywhere and I don't want to find I should actually be at Balerno or Currie!

Got through to the last 8 in the Scottish Pairs tonight (District 13); beat the Jewel 20-9 at Pathead.

Game was close all the way through, until the last 3-4 ends.

Pathead (rink 3) was running really well; but very tricky at certain lengths.