hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Have you ever stopped supporting Hibs?

Having lived and worked abroad for a number of years now I have stopped going to see Hibs but have never stopped following them. There are times, after a particularly dismal result, that I think I could do without the hassle, but is it possible to just walk away? Has anyone on here done that and then found they couldn't shake Hibs off? And does anyone know fans who have walked away and NEVER come back to the club?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Yes....

..... I always manage to walk away for a whole 7 days.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicky Ranks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having lived and worked abroad for a number of years now I have stopped going to see Hibs but have never stopped following them. There are times, after a particularly dismal result, that I think I could do without the hassle, but is it possible to just walk away? Has anyone on here done that and then found they couldn't shake Hibs off? And does anyone know fans who have walked away and NEVER come back to the club?
    I've felt like jacking it in a few times to be honest.Not that I would support anyone else ever ..More the thought of trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them Anyway...This time next year Rodney..The Treble

Eh ... that's a NO from me .....

Just like WH, but I would say keeps me updated and informed through my frustrations and posting my opinions, keeps me sane

Never turn yer back on yer team - wherever you may be in this world

GGTTH NEVER forget that

P.s Kiss the BADGE

Never! Once a Hibby always a Hibby. Even if I wanted to I couldn't stop supporting Hibs!

I've mentioned this guy before, went to school with him he was a Hibs season ticket holder up until he was 19 then just gave it up, your maybe thinking that's fair enough but he gave it up to become a season ticket holder at Tynecastle!!! was unreal, I dont have much to do with him anymore. . . . . .

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Evans View Post
    I've mentioned this guy before, went to school with him he was a Hibs season ticket holder up until he was 19 then just gave it up, your maybe thinking that's fair enough but he gave it up to become a season ticket holder at Tynecastle!!! was unreal, I dont have much to do with him anymore. . . . . .
    get them gallows built !!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Spain View Post
    I've felt like jacking it in a few times to be honest.Not that I would support anyone else ever ..More the thought of trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them Anyway...This time next year Rodney..The Treble
    I can relate to that. It does seem extremely silly to get so emotionally distraught by anything in life let alone something so trivial as football. People are often lauded for being 'passionate supporters' when in fact there may be something wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I can relate to that. It does seem extremely silly to get so emotionally distraught by anything in life let alone something so trivial as football. People are often lauded for being 'passionate supporters' when in fact there may be something wrong with them.

Then when some of us have had that emotional stress that seems "Extremely silly" Fergus some of us channel our energy into other things - football

End of the day ... nowt silly about football and loving the beautiful game mate

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    This is what concerns me sometimes.I'm generally considered as being quite sharp,yet I have this irrational belief that one day ...... And the worst of it is that I know all the facts,the same as the next guy who's NOT renewing his ticket. I'm about a hundred and twenty two and a half and the second I walk through the door after a game my wife knows if we have won,drawn or lost before I've opened my mouth.It's Wednesday before I can think straight after a loss on a Saturday ..Sad but true

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    My dad went in the cream puff when we were relegated in the 90's. He gave up his season ticket but took me to a couple games during that season. Then we moved abroad and now me, my brother and my dad are all season ticket holders at ER.

Like my dad says, hibs are his first love and, even through the bad times, that love has never died.
    Last edited by Jones28; 12-01-2009 at 03:27 PM.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    My first game was a crap 0-0 midweek draw with fc brugges ( i hope I've my facts right here).. down easter road with the old man, special access rights, over the turnstile n all that. Didnae get it (fitba) at all, except my Ma had told me that the goalie might score, so that kept me excited about goal kicks, cos it was fairly windy. Highlight of the entire evening was a wit in the shed screaming "come on hibs you're playing like ****ing hearts here!". much to the amusement of all but a small band of jambos opposite us..never did figure out what they were doing there! Dire wasn't the word for that game. We all got soaked, worse even than on uncle phil the jambos ill conceived all night poaching escapade ( which put me off angling for 20 years). If I'd had an inch of sense in me sense I'd have turned my back on Hibernian Football Club there and then. but on the positive side we've had our mitts on two Skol cups since then and the first division title, and the honor to watch two all time greats,two true masters ply their trade. Big Frank and wee Russell. 'member when we beat Motherwell 3-1 - that goal when he ran backwards half the length of the pitch, all the defenders just standing gawping trying to figure out what was going on. Then the "golden generation" and Ivan's Ibrox escapades, no to mention Deano taking out Craig Gordon. And I just cannot , cannot wait to see what Derek does in the forthcoming Celtic match. Naw mate, for all the mediocre performances and embarrassing skelpings we have to endure I wouldnae change that hibs magic for anything!

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I 'postponed' my support temporarily in the latter days of Bobby Williamson's reign,
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    You would think moving to the other side of the world would distance you from the club,...... nae chance !! I still get up at 2,3,4 in the morning or head off at 9,10,11 at night to watch the games, sometimes driving to a pub or club to meet up with some fellow Hibees more often than not sitting glued to the PC watching HI. You just need to watch the guys sitting in a club at 3.00am to see the passion stays with you regardless of where you are in the world
    I even have to drive around in http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...z/P8170058.jpg with this on the backhttp://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...z/P8170056.jpg
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Guilty!

I followed Hibs attending ER for every game (almost!) from 1965/66 until the late seventies when I went to London and then a year later onto Germany. I lost touch completely with Hibs and I guess you could indeed say I stopped supporting them .

I went back to ER once with my wife to see us beat Celtic on an opening day game, whereupon we got relegated at the end of the season apparently - although at the time I didn’t realise it as I completely lost touch again –needless to say, wife’s never been back!

When I used to watch Hibs all those years ago we always had the better of Hearts, so I was astonished to read that we had gone – was it really - “22” games without beating them! As mentioned I hadn’t been aware that we got relegated and I knew nothing about Hibs almost folding completely or the tremendous response from Hibs fans (around the world, too I guess) to thwart Mercer and his plans!

With the advent of the Internet a few years back I found my way back to my team, to belatedly discover what had happened during the 80s/90s – and now although I still live abroad I can watch all the home games and some of the away ones thanks to Hibs Interactive, even when I’m off on holiday. The forums, like this one, or the Bounce, are also a great way of checking what Hibs fans are thinking!

As frustrating as it is to be a Hibs fan, and I’ve seen lots of games like the rubbish we played on Saturday against Rangers – even with the mighty TTs I might add – it’s great to be back on board! - GGTTH!!

I'm ashamed to admit that in August 1982, I decided to never go back (you just HAD to be there).

I got REALLY bored so attended a few Celtc games with a Celtc supporting mate; I stress to relieve the boredom only, I was NEVER a Celtc fan! Anyway, my vow of abstinence lasted two months.

Funnily enough, the mate I mentioned above was originally a Hibby, before I met him. He turned to the dark side because of peer pressure, so I suppose I had a lucky(?) escape.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Last time we went down, I said that was it for me. On the opening day, I turned up against Stranraer, just to give them one last chance then walked away truly fed up. After that though, I only missed Clydebank away [ was that two defeats?] and the game that we clinched it at Firhill was superb. I think that there is a level of addiction with Hibs. If you can't get to the game, you get quite desperate for updates.

You can't stop supporting your childhood team. It is not in human nature. It's like a stain you can't remove. I always take with a large pinch of salt anyone who says they've switched support, or "now that I live in London I love Arsenal" or whatever. Sorry but it's on you like a tattoo, however horrible it is!

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I 'postponed' my support temporarily in the latter days of Bobby Williamson's reign,
    Likewise...but for some reason for me that continued on into the Mogga era....and come to think of it I thikn I have been to about 6 games since then
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big90inOz View Post
    You would think moving to the other side of the world would distance you from the club,...... nae chance !! I still get up at 2,3,4 in the morning or head off at 9,10,11 at night to watch the games, sometimes driving to a pub or club to meet up with some fellow Hibees more often than not sitting glued to the PC watching HI. You just need to watch the guys sitting in a club at 3.00am to see the passion stays with you regardless of where you are in the world
    I even have to drive around in http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...z/P8170058.jpg with this on the backhttp://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...z/P8170056.jpg
    now that my friend, is a touch of class...............
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quality m8

when i left school and started working in 1992, i worked saturdays (still do)

my enthusiasm (not interest) in Hibs diminished over the following 5/6 years untill i would only peek at the paper occasionaly to see what the weekend scores were. over that same period i also got out of playing football at the weekends as well. insted i was going out at weekends up town clubbing and getting up to no good....Im sure you get the jist.

then one day I aquired this fabby new modern contraption called a PC which meant I could get on the tinter-web. within about a week I had discovered a site called Hibernian mad, then the bounce, then hibs.net and my passion was renewed.

the following year I wrangled getting every 3rd saturday off from work (unheard of im my profession) and started going back to the games when I could.
    my Love for the Hibees was renewed and is now stronger than ever

IM back for good!!!!
    needless to say my hunger to play football again also came back, albeit with a 15 year pause on my development but I do ok.

I will always love you

Very smart mate.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    now that my friend, is a touch of class...............
    H18sry Quote:

"Quality m8"

Kaiser_Sauzee Quote:

"Very smart mate. "

Thanks guys...... get's me a few thumbs ups on my travels
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Your lucky mate.

When I lived in Perth there was no such thing as satellite tv or internet.

You had to phone up on a sunday just to hear the results at $1 a minute.

Bloody scottish results were always last!

Cool motor.

Ah.......... I remember that sand for a garden.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Love the motor mate

H18sry Quote:

"Quality m8"

Kaiser_Sauzee Quote:

"Very smart mate. "

Thanks guys...... get's me a few thumbs ups on my travels

The Business mate. Love it

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd

Quality - maybe I should attach something like that to my wee Punto!

Maybe not, probably get my tyres slashed by a bitter Jumbo!

There are a few things id like to say.

First of all i think i have practically jacked it in the past few years since the cup final win. Never in my time as a hibs fan did i feel like doing that, the petrie era as much as its briliant for most of the folk on here, im not a big fan..

Combine this with the ever increasing role of finance in the game (the people's game my arse) and the over the top manipulation of the media by the weegie **** really make me detest our national league.

In this time i have come more to love scotland games and have made much more of an effort to go to them home and away, they are for me far more enjoyable now (hurts me to say it and anybody who knows me knows how much i care for hibs)

I still class myself as a hibs fan and i still under no circumstance whatsoever can watch highlights of games where we have lost (i have never seen those goals hearts scored at hampden on the telly) and i really can't stand watchin old firm games or any other scottish football, i dont read the papers as its a lot of sheeeite.. I dont even come on here very often anymore as i dont agree with the kneejerk views of a lot of posters and i get frustrated with a lot of the posts and opinions.

I have went to the games since is was 6yrs old with my dad and had a season ticket for over 20yrs, i have not been to a game this season yet.
    I missed the rangers game as i chose to go out for a meal with my wife as i just could not be bothered with the inevitable crap i would have had to watch. The meal was excellent by the way..

You can call me whatever you want but i have been to near enough 800 games in my life, im a hibs fan through and through, i could not support anyone else. But yes, im in the process of jacking it in im afraid, ill keep my seasonticket because as long as i can afford to i will support the club and it gets me tickets for the derbies which are the only games worth wachin' anyway, (cue folk having a go at me for not going to every game, bring it on i say)

but until my son / s are wanting to go to the games ill be doing something else on a saturday / sunday from now on, try and enjoy the peace before i have to return on a regular basis..

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    There are a few things id like to say.

First of all i think i have practically jacked it in the past few years since the cup final win. Never in my time as a hibs fan did i feel like doing that, the petrie era as much as its briliant for most of the folk on here, im not a big fan..

Combine this with the ever increasing role of finance in the game (the people's game my arse) and the over the top manipulation of the media by the weegie **** really make me detest our national league.

In this time i have come more to love scotland games and have made much more of an effort to go to them home and away, they are for me far more enjoyable now (hurts me to say it and anybody who knows me knows how much i care for hibs)

I still class myself as a hibs fan and i still under no circumstance whatsoever can watch highlights of games where we have lost (i have never seen those goals hearts scored at hampden on the telly) and i really can't stand watchin old firm games or any other scottish football, i dont read the papers as its a lot of sheeeite.. I dont even come on here very often anymore as i dont agree with the kneejerk views of a lot of posters and i get frustrated with a lot of the posts and opinions.

I have went to the games since is was 6yrs old with my dad and had a season ticket for over 20yrs, i have not been to a game this season yet.
    I missed the rangers game as i chose to go out for a meal with my wife as i just could not be bothered with the inevitable crap i would have had to watch. The meal was excellent by the way..

You can call me whatever you want but i have been to near enough 800 games in my life, im a hibs fan through and through, i could not support anyone else. But yes, im in the process of jacking it in im afraid, ill keep my seasonticket because as long as i can afford to i will support the club and it gets me tickets for the derbies which are the only games worth wachin' anyway, (cue folk having a go at me for not going to every game, bring it on i say)

but until my son / s are wanting to go to the games ill be doing something else on a saturday / sunday from now on, try and enjoy the peace before i have to return on a regular basis..
    Whilst I am not quite at your stage yet, I can well understand where you are coming from. Maybe I am looking for more than what is presently on offer on the pitch in relation to the price I am asked to pay to watch it, and by that I don't mean signing players worth £10,000 a week but the style of play that is on show, but whatever, I am disallussioned with the team at the moment.

I was listening to Mark McGee on T.V. last night talking about the way he might set up his team for tonight's European game. He says he might have to abandon his 3 strikers set up, not because he doesn't believe in it or that it is not right for tonight's game in particular, but because so far this season it has not worked and there is no point in presevering with something that is not working.

I can only hope that Mixu was watching the same interview and I can get back to watching the mighty Edinburgh Hibernian because our own tactics are hopeless and have driven me away.