12 3.37%
  • I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat

12 3.37%
  • Other view. Please state

8 2.25%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Scotland: Your view

Lots of the usual pro and anti Scotland posts surfacing on international week. What's your attitude to the national team?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs come 1st every time?

Why do we continue to compare national team with our club?

they never play at the same time, and both should be something we're passionate about, but understandably in slightly different ways.

I just don't get it.

Who were Hibs playing last night, that we had to make a choice?

support our country FFS, i thought us Scots were quite a patriotic bunch, we don't need to wear see u jimmy hats and wear kilts, or even attend games, but surely a bit passion and support whilst watching even in a pub, should not even be something we need to contemplate or consider?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    don't actually know the answer to that.

Couldn't say i love them as much as the hibs because i never go to any scotland games so wouldn't consider myself a real fan of Scotland however I do love watching it on the tele and when scotland get beat it hurts as much as when hibs get beat, i think thats because i know hibs have the chance to put it right the next week where as with Scotland one defeat can really **** up a qualifying campaign.

Not a dig at the OP but still can't understand why some feel the need to make the choice, don't know about anyone else but there's enough love in me for the both of them

Left by mutual consent!
    I voted other.

I get a bigger sense of pride when watching Scotland so would say I probably prefer the national team to Hibs.

Although when it's international week I never read the papers and articles about Scotland but I always read about Hibs (and come on here everyday!).

Club 12 (2013) Supporter
    Not had a vote in this one as it is a hibs poll but I have to admit that as soon as a Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic or any other teams player pulls on a scotland shirt, for 90 minutes they don't play for anyone else but Scotland so there's not really a comparison to be made between club and country.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

they never play at the same time, and both should be something we're passionate about, but understandably in slightly different ways.

I just don't get it.

support our country FFS, i thought us Scots were quite a patriotic bunch, we don't need to wear see u jimmy hats and wear kilts, or even attend games, but surely a bit passion and support whilst watching even in a pub, should not even be something we need to contemplate or consider?

@hibs.net private member
    I don't care if Scotland win or lose. Never have done and never will do. (unless I have a bet on it)

I just don't get it.

What he said

Not in the least bit interested in supporting Scotland at football, watched some great Hibs players get few if any caps whilst others who either have Scottish grandparents [ some had never been to Scotland] get the call and i haven`t even mentioned the Old Firm.

@hibs.net private member
    It was Scotland that first got me in love with football realy - I think I remember watching the home internationals on the telly before I ever went to any Hibs games. The excitement was immense and the whole country must have ground to a halt in those days (mid-70's). The teams have never realy hit the heights of those days since but the passion has never left me. So I'd say I love Scotland almost as much as Hibs.

Faxed Back to Kaunas

I just don't get it.

Don't think there needs to be a choice, what it means is that most fans are more fervent in their support for their club than they are for their national team. Not really that surprising surely given that Scotland play only a few times a year. Basically if somebody said do you prefer going to watch Hibs than Scotland, I'd say Hibs every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    Don't think there needs to be a choice, what it means is that most fans are more fervent in their support for their club than they are for their national team. Not really that surprising surely given that Scotland play only a few times a year. Basically if somebody said do you prefer going to watch Hibs than Scotland, I'd say Hibs every time.
    but there's no choice to make, no preference.
    One is a club other your country.
    If anything, you chose Hibs, we don't choose Scotland.
    I do understand what you mean - just don't see the point in it.

I understand we alll love our club games, it's every week, we're passionate, but comparing supporting a club team to your national team is silly IMHO - they are different, and i see no point in rubbishing the national team or supporting the national team, just because you love Hibs and your club football.

I see no reason why we cannot support both wholeheartadly
    Last edited by Craig_in_Prague; 11-09-2008 at 12:28 PM.

I just don't get it.

What Craig said right what twats (if you are Scottish) have selected they like it when we get beat ?

but there's no choice to make, no preference.
    One is a club other your country.
    If anything, you chose Hibs, we don't choose Scotland.
    I do understand what you mean - just don't see the point in it.

I understand we alll love our club games, it's every week, we're passionate, but comparing supporting a club team to your national team is silly IMHO - they are different, and i see no point in rubbishing the national team or supporting the national team, just because you love Hibs and your club football.

I see no reason why we cannot support both wholeheartadly

Totally agree Craig

I am equally passionate about both

Any Hibs player that plays for Scotland benefits the player and the club

Can`t understand how anyone wouldn`t support their national team - Hibby or not

Roll on Norway game in October

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: M8UDB
    Hibs come first for me every time, I still support Scotland but just dont feel the same watching the Scots as i do watching hibs. Watched the cup final DVD the other week there and the hair on the back of my neck was standing up and i just dont get that wen i watch Scotland

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    Can`t understand how anyone wouldn`t support their national team - Hibby or not
    What don't you understand about it?

It seems we have had a lot of those threads over the last few seasons, and judging by the poll, around 2/3rds of Hibs fans feel passionate/partisan about the national side, and another third feel ambivalent, don't care or are even hostile to them.

Basically, I think a lot of the discussion and name-calling is pointless. It's a bit like love for a person - you either feel it or you don't. It's not something you can really castigate somebody for feeling or not feeling. Personally, I've never felt it for the Scottish football team at all. I'm not a self-hating Scot, I'm reasonably patriotic and pro-independence, voting SNP. Yet all I think of in terms of the Scottish side is the inhospitable tip that is Hampden, the narrow-minded weedgie cabal of the SFA, the pantomime dames of the Tartan Army, hoofball, the OF and the Daily Record. I've never had the essential love of the Scottish team that allowed me to override those irritations.

I totally accept that many people do have this great passionate love for the Scottish football team (and they are just that, they are NOT 'Scotland' and many confuse the two) and therefore the annoyances that I've mentioned are background irrelevances. What I object to is the assumption that because I'm Scottish and a football supporter, I should get worked up about the Scottish national football team. Footballwise, my passions lie solely with Hibs. Just the way I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    It seems we have had a lot of those threads over the last few seasons, and judging by the poll, around 2/3rds of Hibs fans feel passionate/partisan about the national side, and another third feel ambivalent, don't care or are even hostile to them.

Basically, I think a lot of the discussion and name-calling is pointless. It's a bit like love for a person - you either feel it or you don't. It's not something you can really castigate somebody for feeling or not feeling. Personally, I've never felt it for the Scottish football team at all. I'm not a self-hating Scot, I'm reasonably patriotic and pro-independence, voting SNP. Yet all I think of in terms of the Scottish side is the inhospitable tip that is Hampden, the narrow-minded weedgie cabal of the SFA, the pantomime dames of the Tartan Army, hoofball, the OF and the Daily Record. I've never had the essential love of the Scottish team that allowed me to override those irritations.

I totally accept that many people do have this great passionate love for the Scottish football team (and they are just that, they are NOT 'Scotland' and many confuse the two) and therefore the annoyances that I've mentioned are background irrelevances. What I object to is the assumption that because I'm Scottish and a football supporter, I should get worked up about the Scottish national football team. Footballwise, my passions lie solely with Hibs. Just the way I am.
    I respect you point of view DBS, but what gets my goat is that a Scot would actually go as far as wanting his national team to lose, and then reveling in it. Ambivalence I can accept, dislike and a desire for the national team to lose I can't.

Coaching Staff
    'kinell, plenty of Scottish cringe still found in amongst the Hibs fans.

They play for our country's name and no matter who is in the team, I'll always hope that they will put in a good performance and play for the colours.

There's plenty of club teams to follow, but there's only one national team, for better or worse.

Where's the option for loving the Scotland team more than Hibs?

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Really cannot understand why any Scot would want to see Scotland getting beaten at anything but even more bizarre when it is a sport that these individuals enjoy and would pay to watch

Anyway, as most of my mates are Jambos, Huns, or Smeltic fans I really enjoy being able to watch the Scotland games with them, cheering on the same side for a change. Visiting Hampdump with lads supporting the afore-mentioned teams as well as Falkirk, Dumfermline, Dons fans, all supporting the same cause is an entirely different experience and mentality than going to ER.

Love Scotland and going to Scotland games!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    keep an eye on their results but wouldnt miss international football if it wasnt there

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    Love 'em just as much as Hibs

6 people voted; I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat

Clearly not scottish

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    Love 'em just as much as Hibs

6 people voted; I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat

Clearly not scottish
    Again, Why not? I wasn't one of the 6 but you can be Scottish and not like the national team.

Just because you support the national football team, it does not make you anymore Scottish than someone who does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Again, Why not? I wasn't one of the 6 but you can be Scottish and not like the national team.

Just because you support the national football team, it does not make you anymore Scottish than someone who does not.

Aye but wanting the national team to lose, and then enjoying the experience ?, fuds who ever voted for that option.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

Steve anyone who is scottish and gets pleasure out of seeing scotland losing and enjoying the experience is sick

Sandy reply says it all me;

fuds who ever voted for that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Aye but wanting the national team to lose, and then enjoying the experience ?, fuds who ever voted for that option.
    Maybe Aiden McGeady registered just to vote.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Maybe Aiden McGeady registered just to vote.
    Confirms the fud accusation then

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    I am a huge patriot and love the national team, I feel the same emotions watching them win and lose as I do when Hibs play.

I couldn't care what clubs our players play for when they pull on the blue of Scotland, there are players I don't like but for those 90 minutes I want them all to try hard and play well.

Of course Scotland don't play as often as Hibs, I wish that was different.

We'll be coming....

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post