hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seen that the top 10 has been drawn and we have got Willowbrae which should be hard enough.

About the age issue, I think were fairly lucky in Edinburgh that we have a lot of u25's playing the game but I know its a more serious problem in other districts.

At my club Goldenacre, we currently have 8 u25's which is more than most i'd imagine!
    We only have two former junior champions left at the club, one of them is my partner in the 2 bowl pairs....all the other juniors have left & as far as im aware they have given up the game ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Burnsie07;1552937]Been thinking about this recently Andrew and I might be able to get something going for this season. I was 'volunteered' on to the Northern Committee last season, but found it very interesting nonetheless.

Give me a shout if you think this is a goer Mike

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    [QUOTE=tanfield;1555075]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie07 View Post
    Been thinking about this recently Andrew and I might be able to get something going for this season. I was 'volunteered' on to the Northern Committee last season, but found it very interesting nonetheless.

Give me a shout if you think this is a goer Mike
    Will do Andrew. I have a committee meeting on Monday night and will bring it up then. We could easily get a rink or two with Hibbies who are members of the Hibs.net from the club, then it would be interesting to ask who else here from other clubs would be interested in a game.

HNA6, You might just find you will gain one new member next year. My work colleague who recently took up the game, is totally fed up with Bainfield and stays just around the corner from the Jewel and has been talking about joining next season.

[QUOTE=Burnsie07;1555492]
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post

Will do Andrew. I have a committee meeting on Monday night and will bring it up then. We could easily get a rink or two with Hibbies who are members of the Hibs.net from the club, then it would be interesting to ask who else here from other clubs would be interested in a game.

HNA6, You might just find you will gain one new member next year. My work colleague who recently took up the game, is totally fed up with Bainfield and stays just around the corner from the Jewel and has been talking about joining next season.
    Good stuff mate...is he already a member of the Jewel ?

[QUOTE=HNA6;1555497]
    Good stuff mate...is he already a member of the Jewel ?
    No, not in any sense, but I think he will become a bowling member next season, especially with the trams probably causing even more mayhem for him, travelling across the city to Bainfield.

Can I take it you might be interested in playing in a Hibs.net v Northern Hibbies at some stage during the season, if I can get it arranged for a suitable Saturday? (outwith the fitba season of course)

[QUOTE=Burnsie07;1555522]
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA6 View Post

No, not in any sense, but I think he will become a bowling member next season, especially with the trams probably causing even more mayhem for him, travelling across the city to Bainfield.

Can I take it you might be interested in playing in a Hibs.net v Northern Hibbies at some stage during the season, if I can get it arranged for a suitable Saturday? (outwith the fitba season of course)
    He would have to be a full club member to be allowed to bowl at the Jewel ...

As for hibs.net v Northern hibbies then yes , im def up for that ...

[QUOTE=HNA6;1556280]
    He would have to be a full club member to be allowed to bowl at the Jewel ...

As for hibs.net v Northern hibbies then yes , im def up for that ...
    Great. I have a committee meeting tonight and I will try and find out what dates are available and try and get some feedback from about what suits everybody that might be interested.

[QUOTE=Burnsie07;1557493]

Great. I have a committee meeting tonight and I will try and find out what dates are available and try and get some feedback from about what suits everybody that might be interested.
    Good stuff mate ...looking forward to it...

Quotes appear wonky ..

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Looking forward to outdoor. Can't really be bothered with indoor, not really got the time.

Not sure if the teams are picked at Gorgie yet but according to the rumour mill we're losing more players again this year. The fees are up to £100 but they've scrapped the joining fee to try and attract new members.

We'll probably be mid table again in the league so not much to play for there but hopefully I'll manage to win something this year. Think I might put my name down for the u25 team this year too.

Cant wait for the outdoor to start aswell. Much prefer it to indoor but then never build up any consistency indoor due to only playing once a week at the very most.

Teams picked at Carrick Knowe and looking very strong but you dont win leagues on paper so we need to go out and do the business. First 3 league games for us will make or break IMO

Cannae believe its gonna be pissin it doon the morn !!!!!!

Green officially opened but no play ....*** pishy Scottish weather !!!!!

And breathe ...

ours opened last night, but seeing the state of the green and also the weather we're having, going to be at least 3 weeks before any play will be able to take place

We opened today and apart from a few drops of rain after we'd played a few ends it was fine.

44 players on the green and well over 60 for the meal! so it was a good day all round.

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    We opened today and apart from a few drops of rain after we'd played a few ends it was fine.

44 players on the green and well over 60 for the meal! so it was a good day all round.
    We played too, 10 ends, and apart from a brief interuption for rain, it was absolutely fine.
    Thouroughly enjoyed my day, and night

http://www.northernbowlingclub.co.uk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Our green opens this Saturday hoping for good weather and a few beers afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Our green opens this Saturday hoping for good weather and a few beers afterwards.
    Hope ye get the weather mate & have a great day...we perhaps could have played on ours but the decision was made the night before so regardless of what the weather was on the Sat it wouldnt have mattered ...

Hope ye get the weather mate & have a great day...we perhaps could have played on ours but the decision was made the night before so regardless of what the weather was on the Sat it wouldnt have mattered ...
    That's typical of booling club inflexibility IMHO. Why not announce that the green may be playable dependant on conditions, then a decision could have been taken at the time. Our green played remarkably well (for opening day) and some bowls even made it to the ditch (something that rarely happens on a heavy "opening day" green).

That's typical of booling club inflexibility IMHO. Why not announce that the green may be playable dependant on conditions, then a decision could have been taken at the time. Our green played remarkably well (for opening day) and some bowls even made it to the ditch (something that rarely happens on a heavy "opening day" green).
    I was reasonably impressed with the Northern too, for opening day, not as heavy as I thought it might have been. There was plenty sand on it, although nothing like Fir Park , but it played quite well and was taking a wee draw.

The green was "spongy" underfoot but i actually think the precaution was taken to prevent an "auldie" (no me) slipping & hurting themselves, that decision was on the advice of our greenkeeper not our commitee...i suppose if folk had made a fuss then it would more than likely have went ahead but no-one seemed too fussed ....apart from me !!! i was itching tae get a throw ..

We have a new guy servicing the green after we got rid of STS, i know for a fact they couldnt have cared less who played on it but this "new" guy was perhaps a bit over cautious imo ...

The green was "spongy" underfoot but i actually think the precaution was taken to prevent an "auldie" (no me) slipping & hurting themselves, that decision was on the advice of our greenkeeper not our commitee...i suppose if folk had made a fuss then it would more than likely have went ahead but no-one seemed too fussed ....apart from me !!! i was itching tae get a throw ..

We have a new guy servicing the green after we got rid of STS, i know for a fact they couldnt have cared less who played on it but this "new" guy was perhaps a bit over cautious imo ...
    We had guests this year again. Too bad yours was the same day or you could have played on the hallowed turf of Seafield!

It's funny though.. I dont play indoor (once or twice a year max) and usually by the end of the outdoor season I've had enough for another year... I spend the winter recharging the boolin batteries and by about now I'm champing at the bit to get out again just like yersel.

I don't think I could motivate myself to do it all year round.

We had guests this year again. Too bad yours was the same day or you could have played on the hallowed turf of Seafield!

It's funny though.. I dont play indoor (once or twice a year max) and usually by the end of the outdoor season I've had enough for another year... I spend the winter recharging the boolin batteries and by about now I'm champing at the bit to get out again just like yersel.

I don't think I could motivate myself to do it all year round
    Ive tried indoor a few times but its just no the same..i suppose though it does have its advantages compared to outdoor...namely the weather ..

I think after the pressures of watching a season o hibs theres nowt better than a few games o bowls tae help ye unwind...then if ye end up having a frustrating bowling season not tae worry ....hibs are never too far away ...

I dont play indoor (once or twice a year max) and usually by the end of the outdoor season I've had enough for another year... I spend the winter recharging the boolin batteries and by about now I'm champing at the bit to get out again just like yersel.

I don't think I could motivate myself to do it all year round.
    Ive tried indoor a few times but its just no the same..i suppose though it does have its advantages compared to outdoor...namely the weather ..

I think after the pressures of watching a season o hibs theres nowt better than a few games o bowls tae help ye unwind...then if ye end up having a frustrating bowling season not tae worry ....hibs are never too far away ...
    Guys, I'm very much like that myself. Never really played indoor, probably count on one hand the amount of games I have played in my 35 years of bowling.
    The Hibees are my life, but come about March, I have had my fill of the fitba/hibs and am champing at the bit to get the bowls out and get out on the green.
    Then, come sort of mid July (ish) (depending on what tournaments I am still left in ) I back ready for the Hibees again.

Guys, I'm very much like that myself. Never really played indoor, probably count on one hand the amount of games I have played in my 35 years of bowling.
    The Hibees are my life, but come about March, I have had my fill of the fitba/hibs and am champing at the bit to get the bowls out and get out on the green.
    Then, come sort of mid July (ish) (depending on what tournaments I am still left in ) I back ready for the Hibees again.
    July !!! im normally out of all the single hands by then !! ....

Talking of which ..do any o you guys have problems organizing ties etc ..as in trying to get a hold of a bloody opponent !!! we have for quite a while experienced that problem, we have the "pot hunters" ..the desperados who wait until the last poss minute then make a feeble attempt to contact you, moreso if your sitting by the pool in friggin Turkey !!!!

They then fire a card in claiming the tie !! ..not happened to me as such but it is common practice down the Jewel...i lost my rink last year because two of my partners fannied about wi dates..i had 2 weeks holidays where i was available the whole fortnight but they decided they wanted a date when i went back to work !!! ....ive left them now & put my own rink in ...**** em ...

See..im stressed already & i aint even thrown a bowl ...

no-one rich enough on here to open up a green over in prague!

god it's that time of year, when i start to badly miss the bowls

seriously if you have money, open a green up here and you'll be even more minted
    what is it with most of europe and not playing the game

July !!! im normally out of all the single hands by then !! ....

Talking of which ..do any o you guys have problems organizing ties etc ..as in trying to get a hold of a bloody opponent !!! we have for quite a while experienced that problem, we have the "pot hunters" ..the desperados who wait until the last poss minute then make a feeble attempt to contact you, moreso if your sitting by the pool in friggin Turkey !!!!

They then fire a card in claiming the tie !! ..not happened to me as such but it is common practice down the Jewel...i lost my rink last year because two of my partners fannied about wi dates..i had 2 weeks holidays where i was available the whole fortnight but they decided they wanted a date when i went back to work !!! ....ive left them now & put my own rink in ...**** em ...

See..im stressed already & i aint even thrown a bowl ...
    Must be the same everywhere. Every year there's jokers who put off arranging ties, then wait until the very last minute when the book's full and you can't get a rink. Matches secretary always has a hard time trying to sort it out

Must be the same everywhere. Every year there's jokers who put off arranging ties, then wait until the very last minute when the book's full and you can't get a rink. Matches secretary always has a hard time trying to sort it out
    Tell me about it!! I am the Match Secretary!!

However I aint the monitor on all the comps, I delegate that to other committe members.

It does get interesting though when the season is in full swing when folk are looking for extensions... Generally only granted at our club if you are unavailable due to representing the club in other games (which does happen from time to time as we do have guys that play 6 or 7 nights a week during the season)

Personally, I think setting some fixed dates for triples and fours ties for all members is really good, because that way you have a lot of players then being emptied out of tournaments, freeing up there time for single's ties etc. You can fix a day and get quite a lot of matches played, 1, 2 or 3 time slots across the green would see a massive amount of ties played and players more freed up. I have seen it at bigger clubs (eg. Bainfield) and I think it works well.
    But there are a high # of chancers, that try to play by the rules but still steal ties. Just thought I'd mention the above, in case its of any use to some on here!

Happy bowling

Our rink medal and triples ties always get drawn to be played on Monday nights along with the hat night. The rink medal gets done and dusted then we play the triples.

My gripe is that, although the members know the rules about when the ties are to be played, you get some chancers who enter these competitions knowing that they're unavailable to play on some or all of the Monday nights in question.

We have a rule that if ALL the other players are in agreement, the tie can be played outwith the Monday night, but MUST be completed before the next Monday. If all other players cannot agree, then either a sub has to be drafted in, or the tie is forfeit.

Personally as I work shifts and have enough hassle getting Wednesdays off for League games I never enter these comps (but am available as an occasional sub if required) but it really rips my knitting when the usual suspects come up to me year after year looking for extensions!

Why enter the competitions expecting lots of other people to have to fit in to your schedule!

Some interesting points made ..the way our draws are conducted are single hands drawn now ...Championship, Handicap & Presented (2 bowl single hand)...these can be played in any order...

Next draw will be the pairs & triples...Scottish (4 bowl) ..Hope (2 bowl)

Lastly the rinks ...

We dont have hat nights anymore but we have Memorial competitions most sundays which attract decent numbers as well as our annual big money sponsored competition (The HarkessTrophy) which is well supported by members & non-members ..

We also have the Esk league on a Friday night as weel as the Seniors on a Tues morning..

Plenty competitions but still folk want to leave things till the last day ..