hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 nations

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

6 nations

who do you reckons going to win the 6 nations? IMO france are going to win it but imagine theyll be pish value for money at the bookies

also how do people think scotland will do? before answering that you might be interested to know that rumour has it chris paterson isnt starting on sunday, on the bench which indicates tactical reasons

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who do you reckons going to win the 6 nations? IMO france are going to win it but imagine theyll be pish value for money at the bookies

also how do people think scotland will do? before answering that you might be interested to know that rumour has it chris paterson isnt starting on sunday, on the bench which indicates tactical reasons
    I don't think that France will be as good this year as everyone expects, the coach has picked a few players who normally wouldn't be near consideration for the squad. He's done this to make his mark on the team, to make a statement; so i really don't know what sort of France will turn up on Sunday.

As for Scotland, If mossy has been left out it is a huge shame, he has the potential to be a great scotland no 10, yes parks is a good professional player, but not international class. And Godman isn't ready. The thing is, we have a few good wing options at the moment, and leaving a strong contender like Nikki Walker out so that CP can kick goals wouldn't be a good use of players. So it's best for scotland to have mossy at stand off, or nowhere at all (this is from me, a guy who watched him develop at Gala)

England will always be strong, even with new faces in the team, these new guys are good. Players like Cipriani are looking very good at a youngf age. The academy system down south is so strong that even an inexperienced England team will have quality. France or England to win IMO, though the game between these two is in Paris, and if the french start early then it could be a convincing win.

Wales, the coach has named 13 Ospreys players in the team for Saturday's game, a big gamble, but Neath are a strong side. And this knowledge of each others games could easily translate into success on the international front.

Ireland, lots of contentious decisions about their lineup, with the majority of the country thinking that Eddie O'Sullivan has no clue. Triple crown at best for these guys.

Italy, don't know much about their club game, apart from that where the game is popular, it is Really popular. most of the team play ion france or England however, and so all their matches will be contested by the forwards. Don't bet against them beating the scots in Rome though, it has happened before

I'll be at the France (don't worry i'll be at ER first), england and Italy (first time in Rome for me, can't wait) games this year.

Left by mutual consent! euan moran's Avatar
    I think we'll struggle badly this year along with Wales. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Italy in 4th spot.

I think France will just about have too much class for England, but it could go either way IMO.

I think Ireland will win it and we will do better than expected.

I see it finishing:

Ireland
    England
    Scotland
    France
    Wales
    Italy

First Team Breakthrough West Upper's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: v HiiB3RNI4N x
    This is what i think will happen

Ireland
    France
    Scotland
    England
    Wales
    Italy

Who was your source

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

The rumour has proved to be correct then!

IMO it indicates that the selectors are a bunch of numpties - Paterson is by far and away the best and most natural rugby player that we have.

Apart from anything else, who could possibly match his goalkicking abilities?

Unbeleeeeeeeeeevable!!

Go Wales - great result

ooops I don't like Rugby

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    Well done Wales on a 26-19 win over England

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    Go Wales - great result

ooops I don't like Rugby

oooops me neither

I like rugby and I loved it

As for Scotland Nikki Walker is a big huddie and how Ally Hogg isnae playing i'll never know. But c'moan Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Lets all laugh at England hahahaha!

Testimonial Due
    Austin Healy GIRUY.
    Did anyone see this smug English git on soccerAM?

I hate rugby but that result brought a smile to my face!

Mon the Welsh!

Now all we need tomorrow are 2 home wins in the Scottish Capital and it'll have been an absolutely fantastic weekend for me personally!

3-17 to France just now... Pretty poor stuff so far.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    french first try was a forward pass 2nd one was the keystone cops failing to clear(parks and lamont) thank gawd the french missed two fairly easy penalties in front of the posts

parks deary me cant even find touch with a penalty

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Another french try

we looked good for 5 mins the next 75 mins were rather embarrassing tho

I had a good time at Croke Park watching the Irish just beat Italy last weekend (me managing to get enjoyment out of a tough weekend which saw me get my wallet stolen in broad daylight in Dublin) Superb result for the Welsh as well. All being well they should beat the Scots on Saturday, while Ireland will get smashed by France barring a freak change in form.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs FC No 1 View Post
    I had a good time at Croke Park watching the Irish just beat Italy last weekend (me managing to get enjoyment out of a tough weekend which saw me get my wallet stolen in broad daylight in Dublin) Superb result for the Welsh as well. All being well they should beat the Scots on Saturday, while Ireland will get smashed by France barring a freak change in form.

If the Scots manage to hold Wales to a 12 point margin on Saturday I'll be surprised.

If the SRU are going to play Aussies and Kiwis in the alleged 'Scotland' team, can they at least try to find some second-raters? The ones they've got right now are truly the scrapings off the bottom of the barrel. They were a national embarrassment against the French.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    No need for surprise then , Mr. Doddie. 3 - 0 in tries & relying on penalties to keep us in the game. Grim indeed.
    Anyone know what Hadden's Scotland record looks like? I can't believe it makes good viewing. I predict we will defeat england & lose to everyone else.
    Daft game.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    No need for surprise then , Mr. Doddie. 3 - 0 in tries & relying on penalties to keep us in the game. Grim indeed.
    Anyone know what Hadden's Scotland record looks like? I can't believe it makes good viewing. I predict we will defeat england & lose to everyone else.
    Daft game.

won 14 lost 16 (with a few of the victories coming against under 12's teams) pains me to say that watching scotlands comical handling errors are now common place + totally embarrassing, daft hoofs up the park just giving away posession constantly, total lack of imagination in any attacking play(assuming we even get out our own half in the first place) relying on paterson too kick points from the scraps we get and making the the results look closer

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Daft game.

I don't LIKE rugby, but I used to watch the 5-nations (as it was then) for the sake of the national team.

That was in the days when the players were either Scots or Anglo-Scots, cared about the jersey, and every now and again pulled off some decent results.

Since then the SRU has done everything it can to destroy the popular club roots of the game. Rule changes have made it less of a spectacle, IMO - some of the games in last year's World Cup (at least the bits I saw before turning over to something more interesting, like Monty Don dgging out his herbaceous borders) seemed to be nothing more than 30 overstuffed thugs running into one another and then stamping on the guy at the bottom of the resulting heap.

The Anglo-Scottish-Antipodean-Rejects XV are, as I say, an embarrassment to Scotland. Wooden Spoon, anyone?

And if we're going to play Australians in the team, why does one of them have to be Dan Parks?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I don't LIKE rugby, but I used to watch the 5-nations (as it was then) for the sake of the national team.

That was in the days when the players were either Scots or Anglo-Scots, cared about the jersey, and every now and again pulled off some decent results.

Since then the SRU has done everything it can to destroy the popular club roots of the game. Rule changes have made it less of a spectacle, IMO - some of the games in last year's World Cup (at least the bits I saw before turning over to something more interesting, like Monty Don dgging out his herbaceous borders) seemed to be nothing more than 30 overstuffed thugs running into one another and then stamping on the guy at the bottom of the resulting heap.

The Anglo-Scottish-Antipodean-Rejects XV are, as I say, an embarrassment to Scotland. Wooden Spoon, anyone?

And if we're going to play Australians in the team, why does one of them have to be Dan Parks?
    Yes we've been pish but to say we're non-Scottish is also pish.

How many out of the squad today are you counting as "non-Scottish"?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Yes we've been pish but to say we're non-Scottish is also pish.

How many out of the squad today are you counting as "non-Scottish"?

How many of them never get near a microphone because of their Anglo/Aussie/Kiwi accents?

It's a waste of time, mate.

@hibs.net private member
    How many of them never get near a microphone because of their Anglo/Aussie/Kiwi accents?

I reckon there were 3 - Parks, Hines and Hamilton. Although I'm not 100% sure on Hamilton but I do think he is English born.

In the case of Hines - he showed as much passion if not more than any of the "real" Scots out there. IIRC he wasn't shipped over here to play rugby either. I think he came over for a while (as Aussies do) joined Gala Rugby Club and it went from there.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 09-02-2008 at 09:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

scotland team today:-

Southwell, Walker, De Luca, Henderson, Paterson, Parks, Blair, Jacobsen, Ford, Murray, Hines, Hamilton, White, Brown, Barclay.

could be wrong but think im right in saying only 2 of them are from australia or new zealand.

Emm, there are 2 non-scots in the team today. And there were a lot of interviews with Hines this week, in the lead up to his 50th cap.

And it is wrong to compare someone like Hines, a guy who came over to play amateur rugby and ended up reaching the national team, to someone like Brendan "chainsaw" Laney who got capped 2 days after jetting into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I reckon there were 3 - Parks, Hines and Hamilton. Although I'm not 100% sure on Hamilton but I do think he is English born.

In the case of Hines - he showed as much passion if not more than any of the "real" Scots out there. IIRC he wasn't shipped over here to play rugby either. I think he came over for a while (as Aussies do) joined Gala Rugby Club and it went from there.
    Yes Hines came over from Wagga Wagga in Oz to play for gala (I go to their games when hibs dont play at ER, he was a great player for us.)

scotland team today:-

Southwell, Walker, De Luca, Henderson, Paterson, Parks, Blair, Jacobsen, Ford, Murray, Hines, Hamilton, White, Brown, Barclay.

could be wrong but think im right in saying only 2 of them are from australia or new zealand.
    Hamilton was born in England, son of a guy in the Army - kind of like Steven Fletcher, we call him scottish.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy90 View Post
    Emm, there are 2 non-scots in the team today. And there were a lot of interviews with Hines this week, in the lead up to his 50th cap.

And it is wrong to compare someone like Hines, a guy who came over to play amateur rugby and ended up reaching the national team, to someone like Brendan "chainsaw" Laney who got capped 2 days after jetting into the country.

Yes Hines came over from Wagga Wagga in Oz to play for gala (I go to their games when hibs dont play at ER, he was a great player for us.)

Hamilton was born in England, son of a guy in the Army - kind of like Steven Fletcher, we call him scottish.
    Spot on with all that mate. I'm sure I played against Hines when he was at Gala in the late 90s. We scored first then got hammered (Paterson ripped us to shreds - when he was a stand off)

"Chainsaw" Laney