PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone Game

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2024, 10:57 AM
Maybe a bit early, but no apos as pretty much a potential season salvaging (to an extent -acceptable v unacceptable transition) must win affair.

We need to show what we’re made of here and keep pressure on Dundee and St Mirren.

Yes it’s not exactly the giddy heights of ambition but the reality is that it’s where we’re at. Let’s be positive and use it as a springboard for a big summer in the transfer market.

Ronniekirk
01-04-2024, 11:15 AM
Maybe a bit early, but no apos as pretty much a potential season salvaging (to an extent -acceptable v unacceptable transition) must win affair.

We need to show what we’re made of here and keep pressure on Dundee and St Mirren.

Yes it’s not exactly the giddy heights of ambition but the reality is that it’s where we’re at. Let’s be positive and use it as a springboard for a big summer in the transfer market.
I have no doubts we will win this one Don’t think we will blow them away early doors like we did v Livi but think we will find a way to win it
Motherwell away could be more difficult as they are. Capable counter attacking quickly like they did at Ibrox and there will be more pressure on us in that one
But one game at a time

B.H.F.C
01-04-2024, 11:24 AM
Scraping in to the top six doesn’t get me excited.

It gives us the chance of European qualification though and that is more exciting. It’s also not something that happens every season.

We are where we are. Hopefully we can make the best of it and finish the season with something to show for it.

SJNB Hibby
01-04-2024, 11:47 AM
We win this and Motherwell can't get top 6
They're unlikely to be relegated, so we'd have more to play for in the match against them

GreenCastle
01-04-2024, 12:01 PM
It’s a must win.

If we draw we may still have a slim chance but realistically we must get 3 points.

If Dundee win and we lose - it’s bottom 6.

B.H.F.C
01-04-2024, 12:25 PM
It’s a must win.

If we draw we may still have a slim chance but realistically we must get 3 points.

All attention on Dundee, worth keeping an eye on St Mirren though. Any dropped points on Saturday and two wins for us should see us squeeze them out.

LewysGot2
01-04-2024, 12:28 PM
All attention on Dundee, worth keeping an eye on St Mirren though. Any dropped points on Saturday and two wins for us should see us squeeze them out.

They play Hearts and Celtic

joe breezy
01-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Everyone in the crowd will have a portable transistor radio to their ear for sure

Since452
01-04-2024, 12:30 PM
I think Hibs and Dundee will both win. Fancy St Mirren to beat Hearts at home as well.

B.H.F.C
01-04-2024, 12:31 PM

Yep. Given their last game is at Celtic Park, they’ll be desperate for a win on Saturday.

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2024, 12:35 PM
It’s a must win.

Yes, agreed. It’s a big game.

BoomtownHibees
01-04-2024, 12:36 PM
We win this and Motherwell can't get top 6
They're unlikely to be relegated, so we'd have more to play for in the match against them

They could still catch Dundee if Dundee dont get another point and Motherwell win both games. They’d finish on 39, same as Dundee are just now but with a better goal difference

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2024, 12:45 PM
Bottom six with nothing to fight for is being in limbo. Should we end up there, arguably we would have to win all the meaningless games to dampen the noise for the Manager to go.

Cod Boy
01-04-2024, 12:53 PM
Hibs 0 St Johnstone 1 some ex hearts player to score and a levien masterclass defensive performance it’s the Hibs way

JohnM1875
01-04-2024, 12:55 PM
I'm not worried about the St Johnstone game. Think we'll tuck them away comfortably, they're rank!

It's all going to come down to the Motherwell away game and I'm worried about that one.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2024, 02:37 PM
Heart of Midliedown can do us a favour against St…

Bobby's Cinema
01-04-2024, 02:43 PM
Hadn't realised they could still be in play with the fixtures they have. Looking at the table we could really do with those two points back we left in Dingwall.

B.H.F.C
01-04-2024, 02:51 PM
Hadn't realised they could still be in play with the fixtures they have. Looking at the table we could really do with those two points back we left in Dingwall.

Aye, we’d be absolutely fine if we had those two points. But you could say the same about any number of games that we managed to draw 2-2.

Musselbound
01-04-2024, 02:59 PM
It’s a must win.

I think the next 2 games are now genuinely must win for top 6.

LewysGot2
02-04-2024, 10:28 AM
Think we need to approach this in the manner we did Livingston. Can't afford a slow start.

The pantomime baddie will be referring to his back catalogue of trolling, spoiling and looking for attention.

Let's hope Hibs are laser focused on the task in hand and ignore his belly rumbling

Ringothedog
02-04-2024, 10:47 AM
I think Hibs and Dundee will both win. Fancy St Mirren to beat Hearts at home as well.

Odds of 20/1 for the treble

Ringothedog
02-04-2024, 11:49 AM

Odds of 20/1 for the treble

Donegal Hibby
02-04-2024, 11:55 AM
I'm not worried about the St Johnstone game. Think we'll tuck them away comfortably, they're rank!

It's all going to come down to the Motherwell away game and I'm worried about that one.

Agree , I think we will beat St Johnstone comfortably too. Motherwell away will be a harder game though one we are capable of winning as well.

Hibernian Verse
02-04-2024, 12:16 PM
Didn't realise St Mirren have two of the hardest games possible to finish off with. Can see us and Dundee being in the Top 6 at the split.

Broxburn Greens
02-04-2024, 12:32 PM

Yep, think it may be St. Mirren that lose out with their last two games.... Provided we win both, which is no gimmie....

SickBoy32
02-04-2024, 12:37 PM
Yep, think it may be St. Mirren that lose out with their last two games.... Provided we win both, which is no gimmie....

You’ll get 10/1 with the bookies for St Mirren to finish bottom six. In all likelihood they’ll be jetting off for some qualifiers in the summer IMO.

Pretty bleak we’re in this situation again, of trying to salvage something from a season and hope Dundee falter (as Livi did last year) for us to squeeze into the top 6.

Hard to have any real confidence in us winning both our pre split games, mainly due to our horrific defence. Let’s hope the summer transfer window brings BIG improvements to our squad, long overdue.

JohnM1875
02-04-2024, 12:43 PM

St Mirren will get something against Hearts this weekend I reckon

B.H.F.C
02-04-2024, 12:48 PM

Even a draw makes them catchable pre split.

Nothing is in our hands, obviously, but I’m still pretty certain that if we win both games we have we will make the top six. There’s a fair chance of St Mirren dropping enough points to be caught and I think Dundee will drop points in one of the games they have either side of Rangers. Whether we can get our finger out and win both our games is a different question.

LewysGot2
02-04-2024, 12:49 PM
Referee is Grant Irvine
Munro on VAR
Napier 4th official

Hermit Crab
02-04-2024, 12:54 PM
Hibs 0 St Johnstone 1 some ex hearts player to score and a levien masterclass defensive performance it’s the Hibs way

Connor Smith.

JohnM1875
02-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Even a draw makes them catchable pre split.

Nothing is in our hands, obviously, but I’m still pretty certain that if we win both games we have we will make the top six. There’s a fair chance of St Mirren dropping enough points to be caught and I think Dundee will drop points in one of the games they have either side of Rangers. Whether we can get our finger out and win both our games is a different question.

They have a five better goal difference just now. Still to play Celtic mind you. Makes it even more annoying we stopped playing at 3-0 up against Livi.

I think Aberdeen will beat Dundee in the last game

Moulin Yarns
02-04-2024, 01:11 PM
Everyone in the crowd will have a portable transistor radio to their ear for sure

Them were the days 😂

davhibby
02-04-2024, 07:31 PM
Ticket sales looking good for this at the moment. Looks likely that we’ll have to open up the south by the end of the week

basehibby
02-04-2024, 08:31 PM
Its a massive game - win and we keep top 6 alive. Lose and we are probably out of it. And by extension, I don't think it's any exageration to say that Monty's future to a large extent depends on getting three points at home to St Johnstone. Failure to make top 6 would significantly undermine his position.

Jim44
02-04-2024, 10:49 PM
Any conspiracy theorists who think that the Jambos wil accept defeat from St Mirren, just
to spite us, is a bit off the mark. They hate them as much as they hate us so I think it will be an even match …… c’mon the Jambos. :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
03-04-2024, 08:24 AM
Any conspiracy theorists who think that the Jambos wil accept defeat from St Mirren, just
to spite us, is a bit off the mark. They hate them as much as they hate us so I think it will be an even match …… c’mon the Jambos. :greengrin

I prefer to think of it that St Mirren dislike them nearly as much as we do and neither us or StMirren fans care what they think.

snedzuk
03-04-2024, 08:31 AM
Bottom six with nothing to fight for is being in limbo. Should we end up there, arguably we would have to win all the meaningless games to dampen the noise for the Manager to go.

"We've narrowly missed out on top six, thanks to these nine points we lost right at the start of the season before I arrived. If only we'd had the chance to gain 2 or 3 extra points from these games, we would have made it. Now that we are secure in our position, we can begin next seasons rebuild early by blooding our youngsters"

Hopefully this will not come to pass.

JimBHibees
03-04-2024, 08:57 AM
"We've narrowly missed out on top six, thanks to these nine points we lost right at the start of the season before I arrived. If only we'd had the chance to gain 2 or 3 extra points from these games, we would have made it. Now that we are secure in our position, we can begin next seasons rebuild early by blooding our youngsters"

Hopefully this will not come to pass.

Think Monty would have more integrity than to come out with that line if we don’t get top 6. Referees decisions on the other hand 😄

number9dream
03-04-2024, 09:32 AM
Last time we were aiming for four home league wins in a row Kyle Magennis got sent off and Saints mugged us 2-1. First VAR match...
Need heads screwed on for this one.
I'd stick with the Youan, ALF and Maolidia up top. Maybe bring back NMW?

B.H.F.C
03-04-2024, 09:36 AM
Last time we were aiming for four home league wins in a row Kyle Magennis got sent off and Saints mugged us 2-1. First VAR match...
Need heads screwed on for this one.
I'd stick with the Youan, ALF and Maolidia up top. Maybe bring back NMW?

I’d bring NMW back in for Triantis and get back to the midfield of him, Newell and Marcondes.

Otherwise, probably the same again. Temptation to bring Boyle back in but Youan has set goals up four games on the trot so i don’t think the should be dropped.

Ronniekirk
03-04-2024, 09:49 AM
Yep hearts won’t bust a gut to get a win just to help us

Alex Trager
03-04-2024, 10:22 AM
Yep hearts won’t bust a gut to get a win just to help us

Hearts have not mathematically sealed third place yet.

They will be wanting that done asap.

Stubbsy90+2
03-04-2024, 10:30 AM

:agree:

I’ve absolutely zero concerns that Hearts are going to gift away points to spite us.

Since452
03-04-2024, 10:41 AM
Whats happening with Amos? Looks like we've signed another Magennis.

Hibees1973
03-04-2024, 03:18 PM

Indeed.

It will be that ex Yam MacGowan who will score.

If that happens, Montgomery will be on the first Qantas flight out of Edinburgh :rolleyes:

LewysGot2
03-04-2024, 05:24 PM

And they STILL haven't forgiven the team they call St Liedoon for 1986 🤔😂

Jim44
03-04-2024, 06:34 PM
It’s a kind of win win game for them. I think they’ll try to win but a defeat has the consolation of lowering our chances of a top 6 place.

greenlex
03-04-2024, 06:42 PM
Weather forecast looks dreadful. Very very windy. Always a great leveller.

Onceinawhile
03-04-2024, 07:22 PM

Tbf, he's only had one injury, but I had genuinely forgotten about him!

scoopyboy
03-04-2024, 07:40 PM

I had the same concerns about Obita and he's turned out to be a great signing.

CB Hibs 68
03-04-2024, 08:44 PM
Did Obita have a track record of being injured?

Donegal Hibby
03-04-2024, 08:48 PM

I'm glad you mentioned the word ' signing ' . Read this earlier though didn't really know what thread to post it on , might be nothing in it though thought some of you would be interested in seeing it .
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-wrexham-battling-clubs-england-and-scotland-for-21-goal-attacking-sensation

https://youtu.be/AL9Lc7jvZpU?si=LzQEd0mOpj8-djX4

Ronniekirk
03-04-2024, 09:11 PM

I doubt anyone is cababke of catching them but point taken

ALF TUPPER
04-04-2024, 06:05 AM
I'm sure of a win on Saturday.
Looking forward to this one.
Will be pleasing to see Levein being sent back up the road licking his wounds.

#GGTTH

ruthven_raiders
04-04-2024, 06:15 AM
Weather forecast looks dreadful. Very very windy. Always a great leveller.

Yeh see winds of upto 60mph during the game so we will have to win our battless on the pitch first and get a vital win.....

Donegal Hibby
04-04-2024, 09:11 AM
Great to see both Miller and Campbell in with a chance of making the Saints game , we could have a very strong bench if they both make it .
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/nick-montgomery-gives-two-hibs-28932849

California-Hibs
05-04-2024, 03:36 AM
Great to see both Miller and Campbell in with a chance of making the Saints game , we could have a very strong bench if they both make it .
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/nick-montgomery-gives-two-hibs-28932849

Campbell should be nowhere near the team if we truly want to progress. It's not a fluke that performances and our midfield play has improved since he's been out. That's just the harsh reality. I really hope we move him on in the summer.

scm70nyd1973
05-04-2024, 07:30 AM
And they STILL haven't forgiven the team they call St Liedoon for 1986 🤔😂

Remind me again - what happened in ‘86 - all the details please as I must have missed out 🤭. Ma sides always ache when I think about it - what a fechin epic day that was 😁

hibsbollah
05-04-2024, 07:42 AM
Did Obita have a track record of being injured?

Two years out of the game and considered retiring, only came back after three operations on the same knee.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2019/11/14/20941904/jordan-obita-reading-fc-injury-championship-comeback-royals-interview

RIP
05-04-2024, 08:29 AM
Two years out of the game and considered retiring, only came back after three operations on the same knee.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2019/11/14/20941904/jordan-obita-reading-fc-injury-championship-comeback-royals-interview

Thanks for that link HB, what a good read.

I'm hoping that Jordan is voted POTY at the end of the season. He's the most gifted left back we have had since David Murphy and I say this in spite of my love and respect for Lewis Stevenson.

hibsbollah
05-04-2024, 09:22 AM

I'm hoping that Jordan is voted POTY at the end of the season. He's the most gifted left back we have had since David Murphy and I say this in spite of my love and respect for Lewis Stevenson.

Im one of those smug bassas that thought he would be a real unearthed gem when we signed him up and chuffed to have been proved right for once. Left back is a funny position for Hibs, weve either had Absolute Bonafide Legends (Schaedler, Murphy, Stevenson) or Total Disasters. Its nice to just have a proper decent pro at that position who can do everything well.

EGL2000
05-04-2024, 09:31 AM

POTY for me been the most consistent by some way.
maolida would probably be winning it if he had been here all season but I don't think you can give it to someone who has played as little games. Youan always got a shout as well just for his brilliant numbers alone, but some still seem to really not like him???

Superfurry72
05-04-2024, 09:40 AM
And they STILL haven't forgiven the team they call St Liedoon for 1986 ����

If they had avoided defeat that day, or gone for more goals against Clydebank the week before rather than settling for a 1-0 win, it wouldn't have mattered what 'St Liedoon' did. They had no one to blame but themselves. Which makes their greeting all the sweeter.

Dashing Bob S
05-04-2024, 10:25 AM
If they had avoided defeat that day, or gone for more goals against Clydebank the week before rather than settling for a 1-0 win, it wouldn't have mattered what 'St Liedoon' did. They had no one to blame but themselves. Which makes their greeting all the sweeter.

Lets not divert this threat to the humiliation Hearts suffered back in 86, when going into the last game of the season at Dundee, they had a long, unbeaten run and a seemingly unsurmountable lead and were just there to pick up the flag in what was seen as a gala triumphant day out for the lucky 10,000 who got tickets, and the 390,000 more glued to their trannies (in the modern sense of the term).

Billy Whizz
05-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Miserable weather today, pitch won’t need watered
To be 16 degrees and sunshine around KO, better get my sun cream on for a heat in my seat in the East

Irish_Steve
05-04-2024, 11:11 AM
Yip, it's to be pretty grim tomorrow and the weather's going to be awful too - boom boom

I see Dundee are borrowing some big plastic sheets for Celtc to protect their pitch from the rain, all sorts of plans in place in case the game gets called off for them

yerauldda
05-04-2024, 11:46 AM
Hoping NMW comes back in tomorrow, I like Triantis but think we need to get right out the blocks tomorrow and NMW has a bit more intensity about him. Front 3 is tough, Boyle looked good when he came on at Ibrox but would be tempted to start with Le Fondre as he's great at picking up space in these tight games

Marshall
Cadden Fish Rocky Obita
Marcondes NMW Newell
Youan Le Fondre Myziane

Dashing Bob S
05-04-2024, 12:24 PM
Hoping NMW comes back in tomorrow, I like Triantis but think we need to get right out the blocks tomorrow and NMW has a bit more intensity about him. Front 3 is tough, Boyle looked good when he came on at Ibrox but would be tempted to start with Le Fondre as he's great at picking up space in these tight games

Marshall
Cadden Fish Rocky Obita
Marcondes NMW Newell
Youan Le Fondre Myziane

Could live with this starting line up. Think the bench will be important.

hibsbollah
05-04-2024, 01:27 PM
Miserable weather today, pitch won’t need watered
To be 16 degrees and sunshine around KO, better get my sun cream on for a heat in my seat in the East

16 degrees and sunshine but you obviously didnt notice the wind speed, 52mph at kickoff. Its going to be a weird weather day.

worcesterhibby
05-04-2024, 01:37 PM
16 degrees and sunshine but you obviously didnt notice the wind speed, 52mph at kickoff. Its going to be a weird weather day.

that wind scares the daylights out of me.. will have a huge impact on the game.. high balls will be tough to deal with and lots of passes will go long.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2024, 04:19 PM

Maybe on the pitch, but not in my sunshine seat in the East😀

snedzuk
05-04-2024, 04:41 PM
that wind scares the daylights out of me.. will have a huge impact on the game.. high balls will be tough to deal with and lots of passes will go long.

Hopefully they dont play their 6' 10" striker.

Bobby's Cinema
05-04-2024, 04:48 PM

Marshall
Cadden Fish Rocky Obita
Marcondes NMW Newell
Youan Le Fondre Myziane
Will be interested to see if that is the case. I've been really impressed with NMW and what he offers us off the ball - in the home game v Ross County when he found himself on the ball more to move us forward he really struggled and was hooked at half time. Tomorrow would be a similar type game you would think.

Hibernia&Alba
06-04-2024, 04:32 PM
That will be that then; forget top six. Not good enough from Hibs.