PDA

View Full Version : Players who retired injured from Hibs but played on…

Viva_Palmeiras
26-03-2024, 07:58 PM
Bryan Gunn :(
Clancy :)

im sure there’s been others…

scoopyboy
26-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Bryan Gunn :(
Clancy :)

im sure there’s been others…

Gordon Smith. Went on to win League with Hearts and Dundee

brianmc
26-03-2024, 08:19 PM
Kyle Magennis 🤔

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2024, 08:33 PM
Owain Tudur Jones

Naw his legs were gone here when he signed from ICT but he signed for Falkirk knowing his legs had gone according to what he said on Sunday from the Falkirk Stadium

fat freddy
26-03-2024, 08:42 PM
George McCluskey ?

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Farid El Alagui

eastmainsmsh
26-03-2024, 08:55 PM
Jonathan Baillie

Donegal Hibby
26-03-2024, 09:00 PM
The Monk ?

ancient hibee
26-03-2024, 09:07 PM
Gordon Smith. Went on to win League with Hearts and Dundee

He didn't retire with Hibs. He was stupidly freed because the club didn't want to pay for an ankle op. He paid it himself.

TrinityHFC
26-03-2024, 09:19 PM
Don’t understand this one.

Clancy for example was released by Hibs in a January as he’d been injured a lot and wasn’t playing. He pretty much immediately signed for St Johnstone. He didn’t retire when at Hibs.

Who did Gunn play for after us?

Viva_Palmeiras
26-03-2024, 09:32 PM
Don’t understand this one.

Clancy for example was released by Hibs in a January as he’d been injured a lot and wasn’t playing. He pretty much immediately signed for St Johnstone. He didn’t retire when at Hibs.

Who did Gunn play for after us?

im relying (rightly or wrongly) on memory not Google or Wikipedia so happy to be corrected. But you understand the premise - others managed anyway.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-03-2024, 10:24 PM
George McCluskey ?

Not until after the Souness "challenge".

DH1875
26-03-2024, 11:11 PM
Fabian Yantoro?

scoopyboy
27-03-2024, 12:07 AM
He didn't retire with Hibs. He was stupidly freed because the club didn't want to pay for an ankle op. He paid it himself.

Hibs thought he was finished, that’s why they didn’t pay

Walter
27-03-2024, 09:22 AM
Did Brian Welsh make a comeback ?

Diclonius
27-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Owain Tudur Jones

Naw his legs were gone here when he signed from ICT but he signed for Falkirk knowing his legs had gone according to what he said on Sunday from the Falkirk Stadium

I thought the story was he signed for us knowing his legs were gone?

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 09:41 AM
I thought the story was he signed for us knowing his legs were gone?
Correct but then he still signed for Falkirk

I remember listening to a podcast after the Hamilton debacle where he couldn’t wait to get back down the road and that he knew his legs had gone when he signed for us and was laughing about it

ekhibee
27-03-2024, 10:18 AM
Chris Killen was injured for months before leaving Hibs for Celtic via Cardiff City, but he hadn't retired.

He's here!
27-03-2024, 04:31 PM
Hibs thought he was finished, that’s why they didn’t pay

But he didn't retire. His post-Hibs achievements were remarkable in themselves.

I don't get this thread. Did any of these players actually announce their 'retirement' while with Hibs?

basehibby
27-03-2024, 05:52 PM

Not just stupid but utterly shameful considering his service for Hibs up to that point.

ancient hibee
27-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Not just stupid but utterly shameful considering his service for Hibs up to that point.
And I’ve a feeling that his surgeon,John Bruce,was either on the Hibs board or connected in some way.

TrinityHFC
27-03-2024, 08:00 PM
im relying (rightly or wrongly) on memory not Google or Wikipedia so happy to be corrected. But you understand the premise - others managed anyway.

Not really and not sure others have either. It is quite specifc to talk about players retiring then actually carrying on playing somewhere else.

Is there one example yet?

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 08:06 PM
And I’ve a feeling that his surgeon,John Bruce,was either on the Hibs board or connected in some way.

Was Chairman, Director, probably club doctor, eminent surgeon , rose to rank of brigadier in WW2 and was a Sir

Seemed to be a good egg

And Yes Hibs should have paid for it

ian cruise
27-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Correct but then he still signed for Falkirk

I remember listening to a podcast after the Hamilton debacle where he couldn’t wait to get back down the road and that he knew his legs had gone when he signed for us and was laughing about it

To be honest, I find it hard to be angry with the player on that one. The blame sits solely with Hibs for not doing adequate checks to find out what the player already knew. He had no attachment to Hibs, he had bills to pay. If Hibs do their medicals, etc. and tell the player he's fit enough to do what they need him to, he's not going to turn down a wage and say "sorry guys you're wrong, I'm finished"

Same when Kyle signed for The Rangers in the lower leagues after he'd said he was done and they disagreed.

He's here!
27-03-2024, 08:39 PM
Was Chairman, Director, probably club doctor, eminent surgeon , rose to rank of brigadier in WW2 and was a Sir

Seemed to be a good egg

And Yes Hibs should have paid for it

I'd have to look it up but I remember reading in one of my Hibs books about a player crediting Sir John Bruce with saving his career. Ahead of his time I think when certain injuries were deemed career ending.

Our long-serving physio Tom McNiven was also very highly regarded by players.

ancient hibee
27-03-2024, 08:45 PM
I'd have to look it up but I remember reading in one of my Hibs books about a player crediting Sir John Bruce with saving his career. Ahead of his time I think when certain injuries were deemed career ending.

I think it was Gordon Smith.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 08:55 PM
To be honest, I find it hard to be angry with the player on that one. The blame sits solely with Hibs for not doing adequate checks to find out what the player already knew. He had no attachment to Hibs, he had bills to pay. If Hibs do their medicals, etc. and tell the player he's fit enough to do what they need him to, he's not going to turn down a wage and say "sorry guys you're wrong, I'm finished"

Same when Kyle signed for The Rangers in the lower leagues after he'd said he was done and they disagreed.

Funnily enough was listening to a podcast this morning where OTJ was interviewing that other Hibernian legend Rowan Vine and OTJ made the point that Terry Butcher hardly started him at Hibs 9 starts from 18 appearances after him playing 48 times for ICT as a starter which made me think Terry Butcher knew ?
He also (TB ) thought Hibs were safe but there was disharmony in the dressing room and a lack of respect shown to senior players Kevin Thomson being one of them
I suppose it was just his ( OTD) lack of respect and unprofessional attitude that so angered me in his podcast in 2014 after we went down
Laughing about it did not help
RV said he told a Director when we were sixth that there were issues with TB in the Changing Room but was told there was nothing to worry about we were safe
He also said they had started young Ross Caldwell at an away game and he got told to warm up with about 10 minutes to go and refused to go on ?? Hibs ended up dropping points IIRC

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 09:02 PM

Tom McNiven was highly regarded as being way before his time went away with Scotland and would even lend his services to all players even from the amateur ranks with any help he could offer