PDA

View Full Version : Jambos You Loathed Who Actually Turned Out To Be Sound In Real Life

Dashing Bob S
23-03-2024, 11:45 AM
None of them.

No, I’ll start - John Robertson

Viva_Palmeiras
23-03-2024, 11:48 AM
:tumbleweed: :)

Bridge hibs
23-03-2024, 11:53 AM
Neil Berry

**** for what he done to Paul Wright but outside of football was a decent guy who Ive had a few pints with in the old Carricknowe Inn

Since452
23-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Faycal Rherras and Demitri Mitchell.

Pagan Hibernia
23-03-2024, 12:14 PM
Levein

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2024, 12:17 PM
Jim Broon

Ralph Callachan

Chris Shevlane

Peter Cormack

Eric The Rebel Stevenson

Harry Potter

Donald Park

Alan Gordon

Northernhibee
23-03-2024, 12:19 PM
Levein

Yep, I’ve got a lot of time for him.

Stevie Reid
23-03-2024, 12:20 PM
I never loathed him anyway but Dave McPherson used to drink in a pub I worked in, and seemed a very quiet and unassuming guy.

So I haven’t really met either of the criteria stated by the OP. Ach well, I’ve written it now.

Crab apple
23-03-2024, 12:30 PM
My son worked there in hospitality years ago. He said most of them were okay. Robbie Neilson was really sound. Jamie Walker was a billy big baws and Avril was just weird.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Craig Levein is an annoyingly pleasant man to talk to.

I never really loathed him as such but Colin Cameron is a decent guy.

SteveHFC
23-03-2024, 12:31 PM
Cammy Devlin

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Colin Cameron

Itsnoteasy
23-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Craig Gordon. Recently done a job in his house. Couldn't have been more pleasant if he had tried. Ice breaker was he answered door in a green tracksuit, I couldn't keep my mouth shut & said "what's this". His reply "Well I used to play for Celtic"

DIXIHIBS
23-03-2024, 12:43 PM
Wayne Foster...yes I know. Worked beside him for a few years and he was a good lad. Took a fair bit stick in good humour and never really rubbed it in about 'that goal'.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Ian Black.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2024, 12:54 PM
Jim Cruickshank.

Ah wait a minute, I never loathed him or even disliked him, just noticed the thread title. He was just a great guy.

bingo70
23-03-2024, 01:00 PM
I had a couple of nights out with Kevin James.

Good guy and no scared to have a laugh at himself.

The big hearts *******.

Billy Whizz
23-03-2024, 01:05 PM
I had a couple of nights out with Kevin James.

Good guy and no scared to have a laugh at himself.

The big hearts *******.

Knew Kevin from just before he emigrated to Australia with his family
Think he was a Policeman when he retired from football, is he still down under

bingo70
23-03-2024, 01:23 PM

Don’t know, he was a friend of a friend but I’m no in touch with the mutual pal we had as I’ve no worked beside him for years.

Hibby70
23-03-2024, 01:26 PM
Gary Locke .... Only joking , he's a tool in real life as well.

Keith_M
23-03-2024, 01:28 PM
Ian Black.

Admins, launch this heretic. Immediately!

truehibernian
23-03-2024, 01:36 PM

Kevin is an absolute gentleman and one of the nicest guys you could meet - he did indeed emigrate leaving the police here in Edinburgh to join the force over in Oz.

leith lynx
23-03-2024, 01:48 PM
Never met him, but I just don't get the Levein love in, disrespects Hibernian at every opportunity. On the other end of the scale, the late Sandy Jardine was a complete gentleman. Special mention to Roy Barry as well!

Pedantic_Hibee
23-03-2024, 01:52 PM
Admins, launch this heretic. Immediately!

Hear me out… 😂

JimBHibees
23-03-2024, 01:52 PM
Never met him, but I just don't get the Levein love in, disrespects Hibernian at every opportunity. On the other end of the scale, the late Sandy Jardine was a complete gentleman. Special mention to Roy Barry as well!

Agree re Levein

DarlingtonHibee
23-03-2024, 02:09 PM
Neil Berry

**** for what he done to Paul Wright but outside of football was a decent guy who Ive had a few pints with in the old Carricknowe Inn

Not for me.

cameronw-hfc
23-03-2024, 02:15 PM
A lot of comments about Levein, came across him as a teen quite a few times when he was upstairs at Hearts, not someone I'd describe as pleasant however could be due to his circumstances at the club during that period so don't hold it against him.

Met Kevin Kyle a couple times, decent enough guy from the little I know.

Non Hearts but Bobo Balde was a total gentleman. Met him when I was younger and one of the few players I remember being specifically nice compared to others

Bridge hibs
23-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Not for me.

Actually met him a few times for beers, Wayne Foster tagged along too. With regards Foster I would class him as a good guy too

Many years ago prior to my Sister giving birth to her Daughter Wayne and his Wife Gillian (I think) had tragically lost their baby. Wayne asked for my Sisters address and a few days later delivered and built his babys cot at my Sisters house along with a brand new baby buggy and accessories, didnt ask for a penny either, true gent regardless of his allegiance to hearts

JimBHibees
23-03-2024, 02:37 PM
Actually met him a few times for beers, Wayne Foster tagged along too. With regards Foster I would class him as a good guy too

Many years ago prior to my Sister giving birth to her Daughter Wayne and his Wife Gillian (I think) had tragically lost their baby. Wayne asked for my Sisters address and a few days later delivered and built his babys cot at my Sisters house along with a brand new baby buggy and accessories, didnt ask for a penny either, true gent regardless of his allegiance to hearts

What a genuinely lovely thing to do.

CentreForward
23-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Guessing that Donald Ford must be ok.

J-C
23-03-2024, 02:39 PM
Although not an out and out Jambo but due to his 4 seasons at Hearts Alan Maybury, knew him from his time at Hibs as he went to the David Lloyd I used to train at, a top bloke and always got wee snippets of info from him round about transfer time.

hibsbollah
23-03-2024, 03:00 PM
I don’t understand the question.

O'Rourke3
23-03-2024, 03:13 PM
I've only met two socially. Donald Ford and Derek O'Connor. Donald is a proper gent and Derek's stories were superb.Dave Mackay used to drink in the Porty Legion when I worked there but other than "What can I get you?" never had a conversation with him.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Yorkshire HFC
23-03-2024, 04:00 PM
I don’t understand the question.

I don't understand why you wouldn't like someone just because of the football team they play for or support.

MKHIBEE
23-03-2024, 04:14 PM
I don't understand why you wouldn't like someone just because of the football team they play for or support.

If they are rangers fans it saves time

NC1875
23-03-2024, 04:14 PM
Gary Locke .... Only joking , he's a tool in real life as well.

Thought the same but worked in his house a few times over the last year or so. Hes actually sound.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2024, 04:24 PM

Levein doesn't mind Hibs. He's Hearts to the core so we are rivals but he was/is grateful we provided the opposition for his benefit match after his testimonial had been a bit of a flop.

He's really dry so I think his sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across well but he's genuinely a very pleasant guy who would talk football all day.

Most footballers I have come across aren't as in to the rivalries as they might appear to be publicly or when playing up to their own fans. I think we forgot that whilst we are fans, for them it's a job first and foremost.

Hibernian Verse
23-03-2024, 04:25 PM
A lot of comments about Levein, came across him as a teen quite a few times when he was upstairs at Hearts, not someone I'd describe as pleasant however could be due to his circumstances at the club during that period so don't hold it against him.

Met Kevin Kyle a couple times, decent enough guy from the little I know.

Non Hearts but Bobo Balde was a total gentleman. Met him when I was younger and one of the few players I remember being specifically nice compared to others

I’ve met Levein a few times as well and know his nephew, a nice family.

Stubbsy90+2
23-03-2024, 04:31 PM
Played football a few times with Kevin Twaddle. Nice guy.

Keith_M
23-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Hear me out… 😂

No, I refuse to even consider Ian Black being a human being, let alone a decent one.

I used to enjoy your posts but I may have to set you on ignore...

:na na:

Hibs4185
23-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Nae *unt ever

Auckland Hibs
23-03-2024, 05:19 PM
Robbo and Levein.

Someone posted a while ago that Hartley is supposed to be a really nice guy which ruined my life.

easty
23-03-2024, 05:23 PM
Faycal Rherras and Demitri Mitchell.

I’ve never met Demetri Mitchell, but based on his Twitter I cannae believe he’s not an absolute prick in real life.

JohnM1875
23-03-2024, 05:26 PM
I’ve never met Demetri Mitchell, but based on his Twitter I cannae believe he’s not an absolute prick in real life.

Could not agree more with this. Absolute weapon of a guy

Green Man
23-03-2024, 06:57 PM
Never loathed him, but Michael Smith used to be my neighbour and I got on very well with him.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2024, 07:05 PM
Robbo and Levein.

Someone posted a while ago that Hartley is supposed to be a really nice guy which ruined my life.

Hartley and his sidekick thought my mate was trying to take photos of them in Albufeira a few years back when he was actually just farting about with the camera settings. They tried to confront us and looked a bit daft when they realised we had no interest in him whatsoever.

California-Hibs
23-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Michael Stewart

heidtheba
23-03-2024, 07:58 PM
I used to teach in a school which was within walking distance of Tynecastle. Back in '98/99 I was doing some work with my P7 class on structures and I had a mate who worked in the Hearts shop. She got us access to the stadium so that we could sit and do some drawing of the new stand. We got a wee tour (which included the v annoying part with the Scottish Cup sitting in their trophy room) and when we went down to the players area so that we could come out of the tunnel and into the ground, the players were finishing up something and were leaving the changing rooms. David Weir saw us and made some disparaging remark before smirking and heading off. Steven Fulton saw us, came back up to where we were and spent quite some time talking to each and every one of my class. He signed their sheets and was an absolute pleasure. He didn't have to do that, he actually came out of his way to talk to my class. Absolute gent.

Craig Gordon was out with his girls in my dog walking park and they came over to pat my dog. He was just a nice bloke out with his kids.

Bridge hibs
23-03-2024, 08:20 PM
Didnt loathe him as such but at the time I didnt like anyone who played for hearts, but a few years ago Jim Weir was sat next to me on a flight to Turkey, it was his birthday and his Wife who was sitting opposite seat from him presented him with a birthday cake and he offered me a slab, I politely declined as I didnt want eating to interrupt my drinking 😁

leftpeg
23-03-2024, 08:27 PM
Pasquale Bruno...... absolute gentleman of the park[emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
23-03-2024, 08:30 PM
I used to teach in a school which was within walking distance of Tynecastle. Back in '98/99 I was doing some work with my P7 class on structures and I had a mate who worked in the Hearts shop. She got us access to the stadium so that we could sit and do some drawing of the new stand. We got a wee tour (which included the v annoying part with the Scottish Cup sitting in their trophy room) and when we went down to the players area so that we could come out of the tunnel and into the ground, the players were finishing up something and were leaving the changing rooms. David Weir saw us and made some disparaging remark before smirking and heading off. Steven Fulton saw us, came back up to where we were and spent quite some time talking to each and every one of my class. He signed their sheets and was an absolute pleasure. He didn't have to do that, he actually came out of his way to talk to my class. Absolute gent.

Craig Gordon was out with his girls in my dog walking park and they came over to pat my dog. He was just a nice bloke out with his kids.

Has to be Dalry or Roseburn primary

cameronw-hfc
23-03-2024, 08:45 PM
I’ve met Levein a few times as well and know his nephew, a nice family.

Aye he's one I've heard that about a lot, and whilst my very small experience with him wasn't great, I don't read much into it. Wasn't awful, but imagine there's more to the story than I'm aware of. He's well respected and i surprisingly quite like listening to him at the wind up on the radio etc.

I knew James Penrice through friends and played against him at school quite a bit, good lad. He's not a hearts player yet, but still sort of counts.

He's here!
23-03-2024, 08:52 PM
Levein doesn't mind Hibs. He's Hearts to the core so we are rivals but he was/is grateful we provided the opposition for his benefit match after his testimonial had been a bit of a flop.

He's really dry so I think his sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across well but he's genuinely a very pleasant guy who would talk football all day.

Most footballers I have come across aren't as in to the rivalries as they might appear to be publicly or when playing up to their own fans. I think we forgot that whilst we are fans, for them it's a job first and foremost.

I think Levein has mellowed since his heart scare. When I met him as a young manager I found him quite abrasive.

As you say, it's easy to get the impression players wearing a Hearts shirt are by association tw*ts, but for the vast majority it's just a job.

23-03-2024, 09:55 PM
Hartley and his sidekick thought my mate was trying to take photos of them in Albufeira a few years back when he was actually just farting about with the camera settings. They tried to confront us and looked a bit daft when they realised we had no interest in him whatsoever.

Who was his sidekick? Vladimir Romanov?...🎵

jakedance
23-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Most people are alight really. Playing for Hearts doesn’t change that. One of them used to volunteer regularly at a homeless charity I worked for 25 years ago. Can’t remember who it was now.

A more enjoyable question is Jambos you assumed would be sound but actually turned out to be loathsome in real life.

wookie70
23-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Gary Locke .... Only joking , he's a tool in real life as well. Only met him once taking photos and he was a true gent. The only player I thought wasn't a decent guy was McGeady.

Glory Lurker
23-03-2024, 10:35 PM
It's only a job, and it's only a game. It's the fans and players who don't get that who are the problems.

Hibs1969
24-03-2024, 01:27 AM
Alan Anderson. I met him a couple of times through work and he was very decent. He was happy to chat about football and reminisced fondly about the game back in the day.

Gloucester Hibs
24-03-2024, 05:01 AM
Jeezo we’ve just about given the whole lot of them a pass!

Just waiting on someone declaring they used to go for drinks with Wallace Mercer and he was a genuinely decent guy. Surprisingly down to earth, and very funny.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-03-2024, 05:20 AM

Just waiting on someone declaring they used to go for drinks with Wallace Mercer and he was a genuinely decent guy. Surprisingly down to earth, and very funny.

it’s a cunning plan to blow covers out the water :)

So are folks saying it’s the supporters that are the bigger problem?

Anyway - Hearts players I loathed but that was changed in meeting them?
I haven’t really met any.

I’d link to think I can take people as I find them and loathe/hate is a strong word.

seems there’s a few folks that are recounting meeting with Jambos players but not necessarily ones they loathed? So mibby morphed into summit else?

Forza Fred
24-03-2024, 05:49 AM
Hearts captain in the 7-0 game Eddie Thomson.
Spoke to him many times in Oz, even offered him a video of that game…which he good humouredly passed on.
Eddie was a Hibs supporter growing up and said his family were Hibees.

Walter Kidd……a decent guy I had a couple of pints with in Mitchell’s a few years ago.

JimBHibees
24-03-2024, 09:04 AM

Brilliant :greengrin

JimBHibees
24-03-2024, 09:07 AM

Best way to be when self important people take themselves too seriously. Who exactly are you ? :greengrin

Carheenlea
24-03-2024, 09:12 AM

:hilarious

green day
24-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Walter Kidd……a decent guy I had a couple of pints with in Mitchell’s a few years ago.

Walters brother was the postie around Fernieside / Moredun back in the day.

He was missing a finger on one hand if I recall correctly.

JimBHibees
24-03-2024, 09:20 AM
Walters brother was the postie around Fernieside / Moredun back in the day.

He was missing a finger on one hand if I recall correctly.

How many brothers did he have? Can remember being at high school with one of them Michael I think it was at Holyrood back in the day. Pretty sure the family came from Fernieside/Moredun area.

Hibrandenburg
24-03-2024, 09:31 AM
How many brothers did he have? Can remember being at high school with one of them Michael I think it was at Holyrood back in the day. Pretty sure the family came from Fernieside/Moredun area.

Depends on whether you include the 3 that were simultaneously his uncle, nephew and cousin or not.

green day
24-03-2024, 09:35 AM

Afraid I dont know.

Walter was about 10 years older than me and was playing for Hearts when I was just a daft laddie messing around the Gilmerton/Moredun area in the late 70s early 80s.

Johnny_Leith
24-03-2024, 10:18 AM
Jamie MacDonald the GK. Very nice guy. Good goalie too, had an offer from Hibs at one point.

Pretty Boy
24-03-2024, 11:01 AM
Jamie MacDonald the GK. Very nice guy. Good goalie too, had an offer from Hibs at one point.

His kids are all Hibs fans as well.

Regularly sit just behind me at games with his wife (who I know fairly well).

VoltaireHibs
24-03-2024, 11:01 AM
I would like to confirm that Gary McKay, on three separate occasions, was an absolutely typical Jambo blowhard. A tool of the first order. His dad was a d##k as well. The apple barely got off the tree in their case.

Met wee Robbo a couple of times. Absolutely outstanding guy, absolute gentleman, which was terribly disappointing. 😂

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-03-2024, 11:05 AM
I would like to confirm that Gary McKay, on three separate occasions, was an absolutely typical Jambo blowhard. A tool of the first order. His dad was a d##k as well. The apple barely got off the tree in their case.

You can add his wee brother to your list too.

VoltaireHibs
24-03-2024, 11:06 AM

Done!

Dashing Bob S
24-03-2024, 11:21 AM

Met wee Robbo a couple of times. Absolutely outstanding guy, absolute gentleman, which was terribly disappointing. 😂

Seconded both

leith lynx
24-03-2024, 11:33 AM
Wee Robbo's older brother and ex Hearts player Chris is a diamond geezer.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-03-2024, 11:37 AM

Gary McKay once stared at me a good few times in a pub at the Waverley Station a few years ago. I say stared at me, it was more the occasional glance of fear as I undoubtedly looked like I wanted to maim him for being a racist.

EdinMike
24-03-2024, 11:42 AM

You can add his son to the list as well 😅

Hiber-nation
24-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Best way to be when self important people take themselves too seriously. Who exactly are you ? :greengrin

Haha aye definitely. His mate was a wee radge looking guy who came striding "purposefully" up to my mate who hadn't a clue who Hartley actually was! By that time he was taking the lens off his camera to clean it or something so the wee fud quickly changed direction and strode off with PH trailing along at the back of him.

VoltaireHibs
24-03-2024, 12:23 PM
You can add his son to the list as well 😅

😂 This is not going well for the McKay family.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-03-2024, 12:28 PM

On the plus side, the family have saved a fortune on Brasso over the years.

gbhibby
24-03-2024, 01:43 PM

Wallace Mercer did buy me a pint once.

Victor
24-03-2024, 02:40 PM
Wallace Mercer did buy me a pint once.

Did he think you were someone else? Or was he wanting something from you!

plhibs
24-03-2024, 03:14 PM
I had an uncle that was a regular for the Hearts 1955 to mid 60s, i was born in 1950. I thought he was a pretty good guy then, when i got married in the 70s he refused to come to the wedding because it was in the Chapel. Changed my opinion of him when some things came to light later about the way Hearts operated back then, crazy some things i found out.

gbhibby
24-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Did he think you were someone else? Or was he wanting something from you!
Was with a load of Jambos so a free pint is a free pint. Was way before the takeover business.

silverhibee
24-03-2024, 04:07 PM
His kids are all Hibs fans as well.

Regularly sit just behind me at games with his wife (who I know fairly well).

Don’t both sisters attend or does S go to watch Jack. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2024, 04:12 PM
Mad Vlad was alright, never met him though.

plhibs
24-03-2024, 04:24 PM
Funny you mention that, I was watching old footage about sectarianism between celtc and rangers. Former Rangers player Graham Fyfe was talking about how he was a regular at rangers but when word got around he was dating a catholic lass then his life and rangers career started to grind to a halt

He said he was called into the managers office and questioned about his relationship which he initially denied, the local press got wind and camped outside his house to the point he was sick of it. He then was called into the managers office again where he admitted he was going out with a catholic lass and they were about to get married

The rangers manager suggested they do not get married in a chapel and suggested a protestant marriage and to save further hassle they did. However that was just the start of his troubles and he put in a transfer request thereafter

****ing crazy stuff and all for a game of football

Anyway, I digress

I met a guy over here a few years ago, he was about the same age as me and was on Hearts books as a schoolboy. they got him a job and was highly regarded as a young player. He was called into the stadium office after a few months and was let go by Hearts and fired from the job because they found out what church he attended. No prizes for guessing what it was.

24-03-2024, 04:47 PM
I had an uncle that was a regular for the Hearts 1955 to mid 60s, i was born in 1950. I thought he was a pretty good guy then, when i got married in the 70s he refused to come to the wedding because it was in the Chapel. Changed my opinion of him when some things came to light later about the way Hearts operated back then, crazy some things i found out.

Sounds interesting, please elaborate.

gbhibby
24-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Sounds interesting, please elaborate.
In the 60 and 70s when I was growing up there was people of both religions who did not go to the other church/Chapel some would not recognise the marriage as it wasn’t in their church. Never heard any stories about Hearts operating like Rangers.

Crab apple
24-03-2024, 04:56 PM

One Sunday morning a couple of years ago outside our local store GM parks up in his maroon 4x4 Kia. He gets out the car to walk into the store only to realise he has left the handbrake off and his car is moving off across the road. Panicking GM tries to jump in as the car is moving before it hits the pavement on the other side. Back in the day I always thought GM was a bit of a moron and that Sunday morning confirmed it for me.

lyonhibs
24-03-2024, 06:51 PM
Craig Gordon, though never loathed him - weird behaviour to hate a person just because of the team they played for.

He was MOTM at a Sunderland vs Man City game I had compo hospitality tickets for as my best mate works for Heineken. Needless to say, I heavily over indulged in the booze and was 3 sheets to the wind by the time he came up to the hospitality doing the rounds.

Took my "hey Craig, good game, I'm a Hibs fan though" with remarkable good grace instead of just telling me to piss off and sober up, which he'd have been well within his right to do.

Hibbyradge
24-03-2024, 11:37 PM
Nope

silverhibee
25-03-2024, 03:28 PM
Strugglin:cb

Viva_Palmeiras
25-03-2024, 03:37 PM
It is strange that Jambos do seem to have many unfortunate traits in common with each other - almost as if you’ve met one you’ll recognised them all. A degree kf smugness, fixation on size and stats to suit them and a massive collective blind spot fuelled by arrogance. All the sweeter to see them fall.

Ardenttwo
25-03-2024, 03:42 PM
None of them.

No, I’ll start - John Robertson

Donald Ford. I met him at Aviemore and spent a fair bit of time with him. A really nice man and an Edinburgh councillor.

Kato
25-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Donald Ford. I met him at Aviemore and spent a fair bit of time with him. A really nice man and an Edinburgh councillor....the latter part not really selling it for me.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Hibs3-2
25-03-2024, 04:21 PM
Always thought Halliday comes across well

Mikey stewart

Craig gordon

Robbo

hibsbollah
25-03-2024, 04:40 PM
...the latter part not really selling it for me.

:greengrin

erin go bragh
25-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Kevin Twaddle. Met him at a house game of poker. Joked id be happy as long as i beat him, which i did but the guy was brand new.

capitals_finest
25-03-2024, 08:37 PM
I met Jim Jeffries once and was taken aback by how sound he was. He was on his own and our paths just happened to cross one day. He couldn’t have been nicer and seemed like a really decent guy to be honest. I think he had left management by this stage but spoke very warmly of Hibs, which is pretty remarkable considering he played in the 0 7 game and managed them in the 6 2 game.

oneone73
25-03-2024, 08:40 PM
I met Jim Jeffries once and was taken aback by how sound he was. He was on his own and our paths just happened to cross one day. He couldn’t have been nicer and seemed like a really decent guy to be honest. I think he had left management by this stage but spoke very warmly of Hibs, which is pretty remarkable considering he played in the 0 7 game and managed them in the 6 2 game.
And Killie in the 5-1 League Cup Final.

1875godsgift
25-03-2024, 11:51 PM

And Killie in the 5-1 League Cup Final.

He's my type of Jambo, knows his place :greengrin

VoltaireHibs
26-03-2024, 12:40 AM

Know a couple of folk that have been in Jeffries company and they said the same, totally sound guy. We fans are a lot more tribal than players and managers.

sauzee1989
26-03-2024, 08:53 AM
Colin Cameron was sound enough. When I worked in bookies years ago I told him you played in one of my favourite games! He asked which one not knowing who I supported. Hibs 6-2 hearts. He took it well

Hillsidehibby
26-03-2024, 08:58 AM
Met Neil McCann in The Albanach up town. Nice guy.

brog
26-03-2024, 10:22 AM

I worked with Gary's dad many years ago. He was involved with Salvesen at that time and supported Hibs. I was young and impressionable but I always enjoyed his company. Gary on the other hand!

YehButNoBut
26-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Knew Hearts goalie John Brough well he loved to socialise and was great company.

Also Walter Kidd, Chris Robertson & Peter Marinello (when he played for Hearts) were good company.

Also had a session with Willie Johnston when he was at Hearts, great company with some tales to tell.

Hibby70
26-03-2024, 10:29 AM
Kevin Twaddle. Met him at a house game of poker. Joked id be happy as long as i beat him, which i did but the guy was brand new.

Last time I saw him was in the Lothian Arms in Dalkeith many years ago, he had his tadger sticking out his flies for a laugh, then got thrown out by the bouncer. Strange folk these jambos. 🤣

CentreForward
26-03-2024, 10:44 AM
This is a pretty extraordinary thread with a level of conversation that highlights a lot of difference between here and over the road. Something similar on their forum would have quickly ended up in a Hibs hating session with hardly a single good word said about any of our players. It’s so good that we tend to have a more civilised group on here.

hibsbollah
26-03-2024, 10:49 AM
This is a pretty extraordinary thread with a level of conversation that highlights a lot of difference between here and over the road. Something similar on their forum would have quickly ended up in a Hibs hating session with hardly a single good word said about any of our players. It’s so good that we tend to have a more civilised group on here.

Speak for yourself. I think they're all ***** :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
26-03-2024, 10:52 AM
Life's too short to loath somebody because of what football club they play for, or support for that matter. The only real life pro I've ever been around for any length of time is Gordon Rae and he's sound as **** :greengrin

VoltaireHibs
26-03-2024, 11:30 AM

The words 'vermin' and 'spoonburners' would be in frequent usage. If you ever browse keechback and read them talking about Easter Rd and Leith in general you'd think it was 1970. Time hasn't moved on for them, it's actually quite bizarre. And yet Gorgie Rd is an absolute and utter tip .

CentreForward
26-03-2024, 12:15 PM
The words 'vermin' and 'spoonburners' would be in frequent usage. If you ever browse keechback and read them talking about Easter Rd and Leith in general you'd think it was 1970. Time hasn't moved on for them, it's actually quite bizarre. And yet Gorgie Rd is an absolute and utter tip .

Couldn’t agree more!

CentreForward
26-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Speak for yourself. I think they're all ***** :greengrin

:wink:

TheCabbage
26-03-2024, 09:31 PM
John Brough. Worked beside his wife and met at a few functions.
Absolute gent

Jimmy Sandison. Used to stay round the corner from him. As much as I wanted to dislike him he was sound

John Robertson. Genuine all round good guy

Craig Levein. Met him years ago. Absolute prick

Jamesie
26-03-2024, 09:52 PM
Know a couple of folk that have been in Jeffries company and they said the same, totally sound guy. We fans are a lot more tribal than players and managers.

Back in the day - almost 20 years ago now! - I used to do a bit of amateur journalism for Hibs.net and then, in turn, the Hibs official website. It meant attending press conferences after matches and I always found Jefferies, at Killie at that time, to be one of the managers that always had something interesting to say and would elaborate, give a bit more content etc if asked. Came across to me as a gentleman and I felt you would never tire in his company.

A sharp contrast to Bobby Williamson, then in charge at Easter Road, who always came across as a bit of a wide-o / smart erse TBH.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-03-2024, 10:11 PM
John Brough. Worked beside his wife and met at a few functions.
Absolute gent

Jimmy Sandison. Used to stay round the corner from him. As much as I wanted to dislike him he was sound

John Robertson. Genuine all round good guy

Craig Levein. Met him years ago. Absolute prick

I've heard a few folk say that Sandison was sound.

Baader
26-03-2024, 11:04 PM
Suppose I need to speak for John Colquhoun here. Didn't like him as a player, diver but was effective unfortunately and begrudgingly, I suppose, very good for them. He was Rector of University of Edinburgh most of my time there and did a good job, he took it seriously unlike some despite me urging folk not to vote for him on account of his being an annoying Jambo nyaff. Met him on a couple of occasions and he was good. Wrong team, right politics and he knew a lot about that game... Smart guy and a good egg.

Brizo
27-03-2024, 08:44 AM
One of our sons was in the Sick Kids just before Christmas time and Rousset, Locke and Jose Quitongo all came in with the Hearts calendars and presents. They were brilliant with him, knowing from the outset that we were huge Hibs fans.

For balance, I unfortunately came across Gary McKay on a couple of occasions when he was running his son's Primary school team and he was a thoroughly arrogant and unpleasant individual.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 09:00 AM
One of our sons was in the Sick Kids just before Christmas time and Rousset, Locke and Jose Quitongo all came in with the Hearts calendars and presents. They were brilliant with him, knowing from the outset that we were huge Hibs fans.

For balance, I unfortunately came across Gary McKay on a couple of occasions when he was running his son's Primary school team and he was a thoroughly arrogant and unpleasant individual.

Read a newspaper article recently where Medals Mackay realises he was not a particularly nice person ( was married to a friend of mine ) ( racially abused Kevin Harper allegedly) and has tried to turn his life around and now works as a carer

VoltaireHibs
27-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Read a newspaper article recently where Medals Mackay realises he was not a particularly nice person ( was married to a friend of mine ) ( racially abused Kevin Harper allegedly) and has tried to turn his life around and now works as a carer

That's quite self aware of him. He's obviously had an epiphany or finally just realised no one liked him apart from Hearts fans. Good on him though, takes a lot of bravery to admit that.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2024, 09:23 AM
That's quite self aware of him. He's obviously had an epiphany or finally just realised no one liked him apart from Hearts fans. Good on him though, takes a lot of bravery to admit that.

Yip even attended Lewis Stevenson’s Testimonial Dinner

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-gary-mackay-on-why-football-isnt-the-be-all-and-end-all-1468088

Brizo
27-03-2024, 09:26 AM

Fair play to him for having the self-awareness to see that and to try and be a better person

VoltaireHibs
27-03-2024, 09:40 AM
Yip even attended Lewis Stevenson’s Testimonial Dinner

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-gary-mackay-on-why-football-isnt-the-be-all-and-end-all-1468088

I retract my early statements re Gary MacKay. He was a c##t, now he's a good guy. 😁

Since452
27-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Colin Cameron was sound enough. When I worked in bookies years ago I told him you played in one of my favourite games! He asked which one not knowing who I supported. Hibs 6-2 hearts. He took it well

His consolation goal at the end still irritates me.

Hiber-nation
27-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Again not one I hated or even disliked but Dave Clunie was a good guy, used to chat with him and a few other ex-players when he was manager of Olivers in Rose Street.

hibsbollah
27-03-2024, 05:46 PM

Not allegedly, Its clear as day in the footage of the game, hes making monkey noises at Harper at the same time as the fans were doing it. The fact that Harper didnt notice meant there was less fuss made than it deserved.

Kato
27-03-2024, 06:01 PM
Not allegedly, Its clear as day in the footage of the game, hes making monkey noises at Harper at the same time as the fans were doing it. The fact that Harper didnt notice meant there was less fuss made than it deserved.Harper did notice. He spoke about it several times.

hibsbollah
27-03-2024, 06:17 PM
Harper did notice. He spoke about it several times.

I didn’t remember that, you could be right, i knew he asked for an apology afterwards and Mackay straight out denied it. He certainly seemed to be oblivious to it at the time. Are you sure he didn’t realize after the event watching the footage?

Viva_Palmeiras
27-03-2024, 07:40 PM
Harper did notice. He spoke about it several times.

And iirc of all things he was working with Show Racism the Red Card. He was on a commuter train through to Glasgow wearing the rubber bracelet sitting the table opposite me. I was lost for words.

JimBHibees
28-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Not allegedly, Its clear as day in the footage of the game, hes making monkey noises at Harper at the same time as the fans were doing it. The fact that Harper didnt notice meant there was less fuss made than it deserved.

Harper definitely noticed it. Sportsound I think did an interview with him not that long ago and he mentioned it and clearly wasn't happy the club didn't speak up for him at the time. The footage was clearly a shocker.

lyonhibs
28-03-2024, 10:42 AM

Yeah, it's blindingly obvious.

On a side note, drew as many Derbies as he won. That's mental, how many times did the fine margins not fall in our favour over that spell, I shudder to think.

23 wins, 23 draws, eight defeats and two unbeaten runs of 21 and 17 games.”

Viva_Palmeiras
29-03-2024, 02:06 AM
Yeah, it's blindingly obvious.

On a side note, drew as many Derbies as he won. That's mental, how many times did the fine margins not fall in our favour over that spell, I shudder to think.

23 wins, 23 draws, eight defeats and two unbeaten runs of 21 and 17 games.”

record would have been interrupted had Berry not broken Paul Wrights leg.

hibbiedon
31-03-2024, 02:21 PM
Neil Berry

Good Hibby

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2024, 04:37 PM
Good Hibby

Are you kidding
I’ve known him from about under 13/14 football
Played in the same team
One hundred percent a one of them

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2024, 10:47 AM

“No one likes him, but he cares.”

JimBHibees
01-04-2024, 10:55 AM

Has never apologised to Harper.

A Hi-Bee
01-04-2024, 01:20 PM
non and non, **** the hertz