PDA

View Full Version : Youan= The Prodigy not Cliff Richard!

Albert Kidd 86’
17-03-2024, 10:31 AM
Some of the support are giving this player grief, I do not know why.it was embarrassing yesterday to see the East and FF stands shouting at him after he single handedly created a move, but the cross did not quite come off, what is wrong with our support?

you might say he is inconsistent, but show me any player anywhere that is Pele in every game.

if you are in doubt, imagine he got bought during the transfer window, how would you feel now, because alot were shouting for him to get emptied.

i want players who push the envelope, not plodders who give bog standard performances, or put in musical terms would you rather go see Prodigy or cliff Richard? , if the latter off to tynie with you!

more power to the lad, I hope he is here for many years.

Bostonhibby
17-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Some of the support are giving this player grief, I do not know why.it was embarrassing yesterday to see the East and FF stands shouting at him after he single handedly created a move, but the cross did not quite come off, what is wrong with our support?

you might say he is inconsistent, but show me any player anywhere that is Pele in every game.

if you are in doubt, imagine he got bought during the transfer window, how would you feel now, because alot were shouting for him to get emptied.

i want players who push the envelope, not plodders who give bog standard performances, or put in musical terms would you rather go see Prodigy or cliff Richard? , if the latter of to tynie with you!

more power to the lad, I hope he is here for many years.Drives me mad at times but once the jerseys on any player gets my support.

In Youan's case I'd rather have that moment of magic and the unpredictability for all the reasons you say. I think it's a man/game management issue to be honest, there's times and games to use him and generally we aren't going to get the best defensive performance from him. I guess that's why the manager's get paid all the money.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

gaz1875
17-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Underrated player by many, defender he is not, but he scores goals and assists plenty. I think he is trying to do better defensively, but just can't keep his concentration to do that the full 90 minutes.

Broxburn Greens
17-03-2024, 10:39 AM
The move in question was highly frustrating and he just seemed to squander the opportunity.

I was one of those who gave a bit of grief at the time but in the cold light of day it was harsh considering his overall contribution to the game and he didn’t deserve it.

His ball to ALF was superb for his goal.

He is highly talented but at times just so frustrating, but hopefully that’ll get less frustrating as he learns more a bit like a certain Martin Boyle who at one time got no end of stick for similar things.

If you’re looking in Ellie (which I doubt) consider the above an apology [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donegal Hibby
17-03-2024, 10:40 AM
8 goals and 10 assists from him so far shows what a valuable a player he is to us .

Unseen work
17-03-2024, 10:42 AM
I get he’s frustrating, but imo he should be in our team every week.

He creates loads of chances and the opposition look terrified of him. Hes also one that even if he’s playing poorly he can score or create out of nothing - see Tynecastle double.

He’s also surprised me recently with his passing and vision as he is now trying to slip balls through to the strikers.

I think it would be absolutely mental to consider letting him leave as some were saying in January.

Northernhibee
17-03-2024, 11:00 AM
He was very good yesterday but has to be way more consistent with his decision making and work rate. We’ve seen it before where he’s had two or three really good games and then fallen back to old habits.

As for the question as to how I’d feel if he’d been sold - nonplussed is the answer. For that to change he needs to show over a sustained period he’s able to maintain a high standard whilst being less selfish (as he’s shown in the last game or two that he can manage).

lyonhibs
17-03-2024, 11:04 AM
He drives me nuts with his decision making at times, but when he's good, he's very very good.

Got to take the rough with the smooth, would always have my support from the stands.

hibsbollah
17-03-2024, 11:11 AM
Ive said the same on other threads. He gets cut no slack at all.

Albert Kidd 86’
17-03-2024, 11:12 AM
He was very good yesterday but has to be way more consistent with his decision making and work rate. We’ve seen it before where he’s had two or three really good games and then fallen back to old habits.

As for the question as to how I’d feel if he’d been sold - nonplussed is the answer. For that to change he needs to show over a sustained period he’s able to maintain a high standard whilst being less selfish (as he’s shown in the last game or two that he can manage).

Really? He is top in assists and 2nd equal highest scorer and you would be nonplussed to see him go? Hmmm. I would be fuming.:confused:

Murphys Touch
17-03-2024, 11:16 AM
He’s won us and lost us points. Kind of player that will frustrate but also the one that is needed against the dross of the league.

Recent ones I can think of are Celtic at home when he shat it from a 70/30 challenge and Ross County on Wednesday. Yet arguably he is our most impactful player of the season

The Modfather
17-03-2024, 11:31 AM

I think he’s brought that upon himself to a degree. He’s used up a lot of the goodwill from last season with his performances this season. We’ve often looked a better team overall without him IMO, and he doesn’t make our best 11 after the January signings.

We paid a rumoured £750k for him, so the bar to judge him against is high. He’s a good impact sub, but I’d be happy to take anything north of a million for him IMO.

andrew_dundee
17-03-2024, 11:33 AM
He's the player most likely to create something from nothing. He was good yesterday, and generally does play well when the team does.

If he has a fault it's that he's a good player trying to be a great player, so sometimes his moves don't pay off.

When he plays he gives a bit of unpredictability, and the stats show he has impact. I hope we keep him and that he continues to improve.

WeeRussell
17-03-2024, 11:36 AM
I like Youan and generally agree with your point.

But to answer your question - quite comfortably neither!!!

He's here!
17-03-2024, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't consider going to see either of those performers.

A more apt ER/Tynie choice would be something like the Pogues v Daniel O'Donnell.

Northernhibee
17-03-2024, 12:09 PM
Really? He is top in assists and 2nd equal highest scorer and you would be nonplussed to see him go? Hmmm. I would be fuming.:confused:

He’s also cost us quite a few goals with poor defensive work and caused attacks to break down.

He can win or lose us games single handedly, and I’d prefer someone more consistent.

Jones28
17-03-2024, 12:31 PM
I think he’s brought that upon himself to a degree. He’s used up a lot of the goodwill from last season with his performances this season. We’ve often looked a better team overall without him IMO, and he doesn’t make our best 11 after the January signings.

We paid a rumoured £750k for him, so the bar to judge him against is high. He’s a good impact sub, but I’d be happy to take anything north of a million for him IMO.

I thought it was more around the £300k mark? The £750k was Vente wasn’t it?

J-C
17-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Youan is a very decent player and is here because this is his level, he has the ability to play like he did yesterday and then be utter horse crap the next game.

J-C

:agree:

The Modfather

There was talk of it being about the same fee as Vente, one being for £700k and the other £750k. With £300k rumoured for Levitt and close to £2m spent in fees alone in the summer. Who knows how close to accurate any of that is though.

Albert Kidd 86’
17-03-2024, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't consider going to see either of those performers.

A more apt ER/Tynie choice would be something like the Pogues v Daniel O'Donnell.

that works too- flashes of true genius v total cardigan wearing boredom.
:wink:

J-C
17-03-2024, 12:40 PM
There was talk of it being about the same fee as Vente, one being for £700k and the other £750k. With £300k rumoured for Levitt and close to £2m spent in fees alone in the summer. Who knows how close to accurate any of that is though.

I thought it was around £500k for Youan, £700 k for Vente and as you say £300k for Levitt, add in money for Wollacott.

Smartie
17-03-2024, 12:46 PM

It’s hard with him though as there’s so little middle ground with him.

Do we ever come away from a game where he’s worked hard enough, given away nothing defensively but just failed to have a positive impact at the other end?

His performances seem to be either imperious or dreadful, forcing you into one of two camps depending on your outlook, when the other camp always has a fair point.

Criticism of him seems crazy after a performance like yesterday’s but after one of his daft performances it can be easy to forget just how good he can be.

The reason he frustrates is because the poor stuff feels unnecessary. He looks like he should have all it takes to be a top, top player, better than our level. If he just stays switched on for another minute on Wednesday he’s played a major role in a huge result.

I think it’s his nature and performances which fuel our schizophrenic reaction to him.

It would be good to see what a run of games with the players he had around him yesterday and 2nd half Tuesday might do for him - I suspect he might well find that piece of missing consistency.

J-C
17-03-2024, 12:51 PM
Did he not come here as an out and out striker who can play off the left, we seem to have turned him into a wide attacker which maybe he's struggled with especially in the defensive side of that game.

eastmainsmsh
17-03-2024, 01:12 PM
8 goals and 10 assists from him so far shows what a valuable a player he is to us .

Agree if he can put his allround game together he would be a top player

Hibbyradge
17-03-2024, 01:13 PM
What's Yoan got to do with Cliff Richard?

Or The Prodigy for that matter. 😃

Northernhibee
17-03-2024, 01:34 PM
What's Yoan got to do with Cliff Richard?

Or The Prodigy for that matter. 😃

I consistently find myself thinking in the stands that “we’ve got ourselves a scoring, dribbling, passing, assisting OH F***ING HELL” when he gets the ball.

Hibbyradge
17-03-2024, 01:47 PM
I consistently find myself thinking in the stands that “we’ve got ourselves a scoring, dribbling, passing, assisting OH F***ING HELL” when he gets the ball.

:tee hee:

B.H.F.C
17-03-2024, 03:00 PM
Said on another thread, I reckon he’d had a boot up the arse after Wednesday night. Might have been the manager, might have been the players, I’m not sure. But I thought his work rate and application to the defensive side of the game was night and day to what we usually see from him.

hibsbollah
17-03-2024, 03:43 PM
It’s hard with him though as there’s so little middle ground with him.

Do we ever come away from a game where he’s worked hard enough, given away nothing defensively but just failed to have a positive impact at the other end?

His performances seem to be either imperious or dreadful, forcing you into one of two camps depending on your outlook, when the other camp always has a fair point.

Criticism of him seems crazy after a performance like yesterday’s but after one of his daft performances it can be easy to forget just how good he can be.

The reason he frustrates is because the poor stuff feels unnecessary. He looks like he should have all it takes to be a top, top player, better than our level. If he just stays switched on for another minute on Wednesday he’s played a major role in a huge result.

I think it’s his nature and performances which fuel our schizophrenic reaction to him.

It would be good to see what a run of games with the players he had around him yesterday and 2nd half Tuesday might do for him - I suspect he might well find that piece of missing consistency.

Im aware hes prone to poor decision making, and has been posting missing from defensive cover. Thats not in doubt. Its the frequency that it actually happens im arguing about, and the degree of rage against him from the folks around me. It’s disproportionate.
Boyle has been poor at various things for quite a while. Including at least teo occasions when defensive lapses have cost us goals. Seems to be immune from much criticism.

Stevie Reid
17-03-2024, 03:56 PM
Our group yesterday was saying that it’s a real shame he’s become such a target. Maolida and Marcondes have certainly had a better couple of months than Youan, but former two also get caught on the ball by trying to do too much, without the furious overreaction that many give to Ele.

Maybe that’s because he tries things that are more overtly flashy, but Youan is the sort of player I want to watch at Hibs, flaws and all.

RIP
17-03-2024, 07:58 PM
Did he not come here as an out and out striker who can play off the left, we seem to have turned him into a wide attacker which maybe he's struggled with especially in the defensive side of that game.

This 100%. We signed Elie as a nine.

Imagine if you have played central striker since Age 8.

16 years later, a Hibs manager tries to convert you into a touchline winger operating around the half-way line.

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you are now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

And mark midfielders running towards your goals.

This is what happens to coaches who try to fit round pegs into square holes.

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 08:01 PM

16 years later, a Hibs manager tries to convert you into a touchline winger operating around the half-way line.

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you arrested now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

It's for good reason tbf. He is much better out wide.

RIP
17-03-2024, 08:04 PM
It's for good reason tbf. He is much better out wide.

He's actually been much more effective when played centrally. The only reason he's been farmed out to the touchline is to accommodate our signings - Vente etc

Greenio
17-03-2024, 09:04 PM
He certainly knows how to self promote. Gets his social content professionally done with all his highlights each week. Smart move really

Exciting player. Always capable of something levels above the others. But also capable of levels well below!

He's here!
17-03-2024, 09:07 PM
He certainly knows how to self promote. Gets his social content professionally done with all his highlights each week. Smart move really

Exciting player. Always capable of something levels above the others. But also capable of levels well below!

A terrific asset on his day IMO. Going right back to the stunning piece of skill and composure he showed with the clock ticking down to set up Boyle for the equaliser v the yams early last season you knew he had something special to offer.

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2024, 09:31 AM
First Hibs player to record 10 goals and 10 assists in a season since Stevie Mallan in 2019

Well done Elie

Stubbsy90+2
19-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Still find it surprising how many people would get rid of him.

A great attacking player. Poor defensively, but that’s not why he’s in there.

WeeRussell
19-03-2024, 09:37 AM
We haven’t been the easiest on the eye, in the main, for a good few years now. Imagine how stale and boring we’d have been without a player like Youan.

Gloucester Hibs
19-03-2024, 10:01 AM
The stick after Ross County was a bit much. We had 3 centre halves on the pitch and 2 full backs, why should keeping an eye on their most dangerous player be the responsibility of one of our attackers?

shamo9
19-03-2024, 10:14 AM
Some people within our support have decided that Youan doesn't care. It's really sad to hear and see the abuse he gets when things don't come off for him

lyonhibs
19-03-2024, 10:15 AM
First Hibs player to record 10 goals and 10 assists in a season since Stevie Mallan in 2019

Well done Elie

Oddly, Mallan also copped disproportionate grief on here relative to his perceived shortcomings 😅

Tyler Durden
19-03-2024, 10:22 AM

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you are now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

You've got this the wrong way around. Lee Johnson wanted to convert him into a number 9. He admitted that other coaches had always played Youan primarily off the left. Johnson thought he could make him an effective 9. Like a lot of things, he failed miserably at that and gave up, moving him back wide. As all his other coaches did, including his current one.

He's not a number 9.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/he-has-more-in-him-hibs-boss-lee-johnson-looking-to-get-best-out-of-elie-youan-1659955912000

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2024, 10:27 AM
Oddly, Mallan also copped disproportionate grief on here relative to his perceived shortcomings 😅

I liked him could take a mean free kick not the best at tracking back but chipped in with goals and assists

I remember one game Celtic home in a 2-0 win - Lenny who had the Indian sign over Celtic - tried him at DM and he was totally outstanding bossed the midfield spraying 40 yard passes left right and centre

VoltaireHibs
19-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Said on another thread, I reckon he’d had a boot up the arse after Wednesday night. Might have been the manager, might have been the players, I’m not sure. But I thought his work rate and application to the defensive side of the game was night and day to what we usually see from him.

I would imagine the players have given him it tight. You can't switch off the way he does and not get any chat in the dressing room. Hopefully the penny has dropped.

wandering_hibee
19-03-2024, 10:43 AM
I have always liked Youan, and don't understand the frustrations of many. He brings not only a freshness and individuality to his play but he is not scared of trying things or of getting in the box and shooting. NM appears to be trying to curb his creativity and instead fit him into a more structured player who defends better and makes plays within a system. Given that he is still producing assists and his defensive play has greatly improved in the last few games, Ross County equaliser aside, then perhaps this is the best solution for the team.

I hope that we can keep going forward as I feel we are worse off without him.

Smartie
19-03-2024, 11:06 AM
I liked him could take a mean free kick not the best at tracking back but chipped in with goals and assists

I remember one game Celtic home in a 2-0 win - Lenny who had the Indian sign over Celtic - tried him at DM and he was totally outstanding bossed the midfield spraying 40 yard passes left right and centre

That was Mallan's solitary good performance in that position though.

He had exactly the same set of weaknesses as Dylan Levitt that made him generally a liability in that role. Celtic probably didn't feel like they needed to press Mallan so with the freedom of the pitch he was able to be be outstanding. Most of the teams we played tore into him and he struggled to cope with it.

I thought Mallan (like Levitt btw) was one of those players who you just have to remove defensive responsibilities from, like Scott Allan and Russell Latapy. If you have 2 good enough midfielders in there behind them then they should be free to create or in Mallan's case shoot. Obviously Mallan and Levitt aren't in the class of Allan or Latapy but the point still stands.

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2024, 11:07 AM

He had exactly the same set of weaknesses as Dylan Levitt that made him generally a liability in that role. Celtic probably didn't feel like they needed to press Mallan so with the freedom of the pitch he was able to be be outstanding. Most of the teams we played tore into him and he struggled to cope with it.

I thought Mallan (like Levitt btw) was one of those players who you just have to remove defensive responsibilities from, like Scott Allan and Russell Latapy. If you have 2 good enough midfielders in there behind them then they should be free to create or in Mallan's case shoot. Obviously Mallan and Levitt aren't in the class of Allan or Latapy but the point still stands.

:aok:

Dunno followed that up with two draws home and away against The Rangers a 0-1 home loss to Hearts a 4-0 cup win in Elgin where he scored a pen another 0-1 loss at Motherwell and a 3-1 win against his old club St Mirren in Paisley in which he also scored

But point taken

VoltaireHibs
19-03-2024, 01:26 PM

That's part of the problem for me. He just isn't team player. He's a Youan FC player. Yes he has assists and goals, but if he was more generous with the ball he'd have a few more imo. He just wants highlights for his insta. He's a young millennial, that's pretty much how a lot of them are brought up so I don't blame him entirely, it's all about the image.

VoltaireHibs
19-03-2024, 01:31 PM

You just won't get away with players that can't press in the modern game. Other teams see that, press on that player, as they do to Levitt, and he turns over possession. It's ashame in a way, because these players are often the reason we watch football, for the moments of magic, but you have to earn the right to play, and you'll struggle to do that when you're a man down

What I don't get with Levitt is why he's not on a program at the gym to bulk up? And if he is, why isn't it working.

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2024, 01:34 PM
You just won't get away with players that can't press in the modern game. Other teams see that, press on that player, as they do to Levitt, and he turns over possession. It's ashame in a way, because these players are often the reason we watch football, for the moments of magic, but you have to earn the right to play, and you'll struggle to do that when you're a man down

What I don't get with Levitt is why he's not on a program at the gym to bulk up? And if he is, why isn't it working.
Add Jair to that might help his game

Back in my day clubs used to send players out digging the roads in the close season to bulk them up

Plenty of potholes nowadays 😂

Hibiza
19-03-2024, 02:56 PM

Well done Elie

Not a great reference Billy Imho the name still gives me shivers.

ancient hibee
19-03-2024, 03:05 PM
That's part of the problem for me. He just isn't team player. He's a Youan FC player. Yes he has assists and goals, but if he was more generous with the ball he'd have a few more imo. He just wants highlights for his insta. He's a young millennial, that's pretty much how a lot of them are brought up so I don't blame him entirely, it's all about the image.
Absolute rubbish. So the guy with the biggest contribution to others scoring is not a team player and gets stick for not laying on more goals. That’s some opinion.

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 03:25 PM
Absolute rubbish. So the guy with the biggest contribution to others scoring is not a team player and gets stick for not laying on more goals. That’s some opinion.

How many goals does his lacklustre defensive efforts cost us per season?

Pointing out that both the upsides and downsides to the same player are both drastic is a fair point.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2024, 03:27 PM

Hes now in league 2 in his prime years. He wasn't very good.

hibsbollah
19-03-2024, 04:13 PM
10 goals 10 assists and some think that abusing him to the point where hes now visibly angry at the East is justified ?

Mystifying.

flash
19-03-2024, 04:18 PM

Well it's an opinion but his 19 goal involvements this season suggest otherwise.

Stubbsy90+2
19-03-2024, 04:18 PM
10 goals 10 assists and some think that abusing him to the point where hes now visibly angry at the East is justified ?

Mystifying.

Funnily enough it’s been a few of the folk who have been calling fans who have been critical of Montgomery all sorts. Usually while they’re calling Youan a disgrace, a show pony, absolutely *****, get rid etc on other threads.

flash
19-03-2024, 04:19 PM

What a graceless, and ignorant, opinion.

Albert Kidd 86’
19-03-2024, 04:19 PM

Pointing out that both the upsides and downsides to the same player are both drastic is a fair point.

he is not a defender and was not signed as defender.

its like slagging off rocky for not scoring enough.. show me a player that is 100% in all facets of the game.

delighted he is in our team.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2024, 04:23 PM

its like slagging off rocky for not scoring enough.. show me a player that is 100% in all facets of the game.

In modern football, 11 players defend. Watch big teams, their forwards hound opposition players, track back like crazy etc.

I actually don't think Youans biggest problem is his defensive work. Its how often he gives it away, especially vs better teams and players. He just runs down alleys, takes bad touches, puts us under further pressure.

He contributes well in terms of goals and assists though, no doubt.

Albert Kidd 86’
19-03-2024, 04:36 PM
In modern football, 11 players defend. Watch big teams, their forwards hound opposition players, track back like crazy etc.

I actually don't think Youans biggest problem is his defensive work. Its how often he gives it away, especially vs better teams and players. He just runs down alleys, takes bad touches, puts us under further pressure.

He contributes well in terms of goals and assists though, no doubt.

I have no doubt he will be playing for “big” club later in his career, do you think all the man city players etc were straight out the box perfect?

he is 24 at the moment, a rough diamond, yes, but still a gem.

His performance at tynie singlehandedly gave us what could be the most important point of the season.

Donegal Hibby
19-03-2024, 04:43 PM

It won't be near what he's scored or created for his teammates to score this season I'd imagine.

There is a upside and downside to Youan though to say he isn't a team player is abit harsh . I think the good far outweighs the bad and imo he's one of our most exciting players to watch too .

Albert Kidd 86’
19-03-2024, 04:48 PM
See the guy in my avatar? He was criticised back then as being sometimes “lazy” or “inconsistent” by some.

Best player I ever saw in a hibs shirt by a country mile, made the game look easy.

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 05:01 PM

When you play out wide you still need to track runners, provide cover for the full or wing back and at times this season he’s been very poor at it.

He can be brilliant. He can be an utter liability. He’s rarely in between.

Stubbsy90+2
19-03-2024, 05:02 PM
When you play out wide you still need to track runners, provide cover for the full or wing back and at times this season he’s been very poor at it.

He can be brilliant. He can be an utter liability. He’s rarely in between.

Or the team needs to be set up to cater for the fact he isn’t great at that. Thats how a team works. It needs to be set up to amplify players abilities and minimise their frailties. For the first half of this season our set up was miles away from doing that.

If Youan tracked back and provided cover for the full back etc then he wouldn’t be at Hibs in the first place.

Greensunshine
19-03-2024, 05:04 PM
He gets my vote.

Opposing sides hate playing against him.

He scores goals and gets plenty assists, what’s not to like?

Kato
19-03-2024, 05:08 PM
what’s not to like?

Really nit picky little things that are hugely exaggerated to paint a false picture of his overall contribution.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 05:13 PM
Or the team needs to be set up to cater for the fact he isn’t great at that. Thats how a team works. It needs to be set up to amplify players abilities and minimise their frailties. For the first half of this season our set up was miles away from doing that.

If Youan tracked back and provided cover for the full back etc then he wouldn’t be at Hibs in the first place.
We had a sixteen year old at right back. He needed to play his part and protect him. It’s a team game and just as you want other players to pick up the slack for one, he needs to pick up the slack for others. He has not always done that.

As I say, he’s either spellbinding or absolutely atrocious. Not seen anyone as Jekyll and Hyde before and to present him as one or the other is just not painting an accurate picture.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2024, 05:26 PM
I have no doubt he will be playing for “big” club later in his career, do you think all the man city players etc were straight out the box perfect?

he is 24 at the moment, a rough diamond, yes, but still a gem.

His performance at tynie singlehandedly gave us what could be the most important point of the season.

Dunno where to start with this.

He will never play for the type of club I'm speaking about. Not that there is any shame in that.

No, I don't think they were. I'm sure they were justifiably criticized by fans too. 24 is not crazy young. If he was 19/20 sure. But he needs to start improving some of these aspects if he wants to step up, which I think he will. He's certainly better defensively that when he first joined.

Our point at tynie was no more or less important than any other point. He didn't single-handedly do anything. 11 players went 2-0, 11 players got it back to 2-2.

Hiber-nation
19-03-2024, 05:33 PM
Our point at tynie was no more or less important than any other point. He didn't single-handedly do anything. 11 players went 2-0, 11 players got it back to 2-2.

Up till his goals he was our worst player that day, constantly giving the ball away and not tracking back. But he came up with 2 goals and that's Elie for you.

He gave a much more consistent performance on Saturday though so we can only hope.

Donegal Hibby
19-03-2024, 05:42 PM
It could be said that Jair is better at helping out the defence than Youan though I know who I'd rather have in my team most weeks .

hibsbollah
19-03-2024, 05:50 PM
It could be said that Jair is better at helping out the defence than Youan though I know who I'd rather have in my team most weeks .

I think when folk criticise Jairs workrate theyre not paying attention, his defensive work and application is actually very good. Its the other stuff, physicality, and also the creative part of his play and ability to beat a man which is holding him back.

Stairway 2 7
19-03-2024, 06:07 PM
Turning into an amazing season for him in terms of contributions to goals, 10 goals and 10 assists. He's only started a bit over 100 games in his career so I think he's got quite a bit of development still. Rocky was similar he hadn't started a lot of football so we've seen a large amount of development although they are both 24.

Smartie
19-03-2024, 07:07 PM
Interesting that this conversation is on the go at the same time as the latest Joe Newell one.

Joe Newell found an increased level of consistency after a few years with us, it wasn't there from day one.

Youan could probably do with cementing the idea of one position being his best (whether that's left, right or centre), making sure he doesn't give the manager reason to drop him and just cutting out some of the little of moments of daftness that turn his best performances into decent ones and his acceptable ones into poor ones.

He has it in him to be a fantastic player and I think that's why he frustrates. Instead of making excuses for the weaker parts of his game, I don't really feel all that bad about being a bit critical as it comes from a good place - it's a genuine belief in quite how good he can be.

I don't think it was a coincidence that he looked better in our last game with good, experienced players all around him playing well. He's an unpredictable sort of chap at the best of times, when we're having issues with the full back behind him, the striker ahead of him and the centre of midfield too, it's little wonder that he sometimes looks less assured than at other times.

I certainly wouldn't be one of those who are vocal about him in the ground - I find the reaction he gets at times somewhere between excruciating and hilarious. Someone a while back spoke about "the Hibs Da's" being on his case when he starts his fancier flicks, I don't think there's ever been a Hibs player who has elicited a particular response amongst a particular demographic within our support quite like Youan.

RIP
19-03-2024, 07:53 PM
You've got this the wrong way around. Lee Johnson wanted to convert him into a number 9. He admitted that other coaches had always played Youan primarily off the left. Johnson thought he could make him an effective 9. Like a lot of things, he failed miserably at that and gave up, moving him back wide. As all his other coaches did, including his current one.

He's not a number 9.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/he-has-more-in-him-hibs-boss-lee-johnson-looking-to-get-best-out-of-elie-youan-1659955912000

My mate lived in France and quoted from an interview where Elie said he had played central striker from aged 8 to 18. When he was at youth level with his league club however, his build was considered too slight to play lone striker so he was moved out wide.

In every article when he was signed on loan, he was described by the club as 'attacker' 'striker' 'pacey forward' and 'goal scorer'.
He's scored for all age groups in the French national team and when in the box has scored for Hibs with his left, his right and his head.

Here's an article from 2022. If you ask Elie what sort of player he is, you will only get one answer imo.

Striker!!

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/2022/june/25/lie-Youan-Career-So-Far/

That said, I think he's enjoying supplying assists for Myziane. Two top players just loving their football.

Donegal Hibby
19-03-2024, 07:54 PM
I think when folk criticise Jairs workrate theyre not paying attention, his defensive work and application is actually very good. Its the other stuff, physicality, and also the creative part of his play and ability to beat a man which is holding him back.

He does backtrack and covers alot of ground though as you say it's the other stuff , physicality, creativity and the ability to beat a man that's holding him back .

I mentioned this lately that I didn't see him do anything of note in an attacking sense when he came on for another couple of posters to make a good point that he was clattered a few times and two players were booked for it .

This got me wondering maybe the speed and physical side of Scottish football doesn't actually suit Jair though.

erin go bragh
19-03-2024, 07:54 PM
10 goals and 10 assists so far this season but some folk don't like him 🤷*♂️

JohnM1875
19-03-2024, 07:57 PM
10 goals and 10 assists so far this season but some folk don't like him 🤷*♂️

It's crazy eh?

Don't think he's lazy either as some fans seem to go on about. I do think he's a confidence player though and as soon as something goes right for him in a match he's unplayable.

He's exactly the kind of player I pay my season ticket money to watch, someone who'll get you off your seat with what they do.

Honestly think fans need to give the guy a break.

Frazerbob
19-03-2024, 08:11 PM
A winger who's inconsistent.....who's have thunk it?

Stubbsy90+2
19-03-2024, 08:16 PM
We had a sixteen year old at right back. He needed to play his part and protect him. It’s a team game and just as you want other players to pick up the slack for one, he needs to pick up the slack for others. He has not always done that.

As I say, he’s either spellbinding or absolutely atrocious. Not seen anyone as Jekyll and Hyde before and to present him as one or the other is just not painting an accurate picture.

That’s not ‘his part’ though. It’s not his game. Just because he’s older it doesn’t mean he suddenly needs to be able to do things he’s not good at because he’s got a 16 year old behind him. Thats the managers job to work out how to protect Whittaker, not Youans. Playing Youan infront of him and only playing 2 in the centre of midfield, so not having someone like Jeggo in there to be aware of Whittaker and shuffle over to offer him protection, was never going to provide him with the protection he needs.

Thats not Youan, a very talented attacking players fault, much like it wouldn’t be Rocky’s fault if we insisted on telling him to take all our set pieces and he better start playing his part and racking up goals and assists.

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 08:37 PM
That’s not ‘his part’ though. It’s not his game. Just because he’s older it doesn’t mean he suddenly needs to be able to do things he’s not good at because he’s got a 16 year old behind him. Thats the managers job to work out how to protect Whittaker, not Youans. Playing Youan infront of him and only playing 2 in the centre of midfield, so not having someone like Jeggo in there to be aware of Whittaker and shuffle over to offer him protection, was never going to provide him with the protection he needs.

Thats not Youan, a very talented attacking players fault, much like it wouldn’t be Rocky’s fault if we insisted on telling him to take all our set pieces and he better start playing his part and racking up goals and assists.

Football is a team game. You can’t say that things should be set up to suit the characteristics of one player, but completely ignore another. You seem to keep putting it back onto the manager, and yet seem to think that the person in the position who will most naturally help out the full back shouldn’t have to because he can’t/won’t.

Modern football doesn’t allow for poachers or goal hangers or defenders who can’t pass or the like. It requires all eleven players to play their part at both ends of the pitch.

Youan has in the last month had more good games than bad, but he needs to make sure he doesn’t regress again. We can’t afford passengers in the team and to deny that at times he’s been as hopeless as sometimes he’s been brilliant is utter, utter bollocks.

Unseen work
19-03-2024, 08:38 PM

Funnily enough Whittaker done an interview and was fully of praise for Elie and said how he spoke to him constantly during the game

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 08:39 PM
Funnily enough Whittaker done an interview and was fully of praise for Elie and said how he spoke to him constantly during the game

A sixteen year old isn’t likely to rip into a senior player in front of the press.

Either way, it seems to be that we’re losing track of the point. Some seem to want to paint Elie as a consistently excellent player when we can see from previous threads that there are both very positive and very negative threads about him. Most on here seem to acknowledge that he can be both our best and worst player in the exact same game.

Some are willing to put up with that, some would rather that they had someone more consistent. Those who think he’s very good on a consistent basis are just wrong.

Stubbsy90+2
19-03-2024, 08:53 PM
Football is a team game. You can’t say that things should be set up to suit the characteristics of one player, but completely ignore another. You seem to keep putting it back onto the manager, and yet seem to think that the person in the position who will most naturally help out the full back shouldn’t have to because he can’t/won’t.

Modern football doesn’t allow for poachers or goal hangers or defenders who can’t pass or the like. It requires all eleven players to play their part at both ends of the pitch.

Youan has in the last month had more good games than bad, but he needs to make sure he doesn’t regress again. We can’t afford passengers in the team and to deny that at times he’s been as hopeless as sometimes he’s been brilliant is utter, utter bollocks.

It’s a team game, it doesn’t mean every player needs to be able to do every role. The team, as a whole, needs to be able to do as much as possible.

The person in that position, in that set up, shouldn’t have been Youan if Whittaker needed so much protection, that’s the problem. And if it was going to be Youan playing infront of Whittaker then the manager should have set the team up differently so that we had a holding midfielder who would shuffle over and help Whittaker out. It shouldn’t have been left to Youan to do a job he’s not capable of, much like Rocky should never be told he’ll have to start scoring free kicks, because much like asking Youan to do the defensive stuff well, Rocky would never be able to do that.

You say modern football doesn’t allow for players that can’t play their part at all ends of the pitch but let’s be honest, that’s absolute nonsense. Theres numerous players at all levels who are very limited, either attacking or defensively, even more so at our level. They all have flaws, hence why they’re not playing for the best teams in the world.

There is absolutely nobody that has suggested Youan is consistently excellent as your post above implies. Again, if he was, he wouldn’t be here, much like he wouldn’t be if he could defend.

Northernhibee
19-03-2024, 09:31 PM
It’s a team game, it doesn’t mean every player needs to be able to do every role. The team, as a whole, needs to be able to do as much as possible.

The person in that position, in that set up, shouldn’t have been Youan if Whittaker needed so much protection, that’s the problem. And if it was going to be Youan playing infront of Whittaker then the manager should have set the team up differently so that we had a holding midfielder who would shuffle over and help Whittaker out. It shouldn’t have been left to Youan to do a job he’s not capable of, much like Rocky should never be told he’ll have to start scoring free kicks, because much like asking Youan to do the defensive stuff well, Rocky would never be able to do that.

You say modern football doesn’t allow for players that can’t play their part at all ends of the pitch but let’s be honest, that’s absolute nonsense. Theres numerous players at all levels who are very limited, either attacking or defensively, even more so at our level. They all have flaws, hence why they’re not playing for the best teams in the world.

There is absolutely nobody that has suggested Youan is consistently excellent as your post above implies. Again, if he was, he wouldn’t be here, much like he wouldn’t be if he could defend.

In front of Rory, you had nobody else who could play right wing. Maybe Jair, but he’s not very good and much more of a left winger. For holding midfielders you had Jeggo who couldn’t pass, Levitt who can’t tackle, and no other right backs. He, put simply, didn’t have a squad to do differently.

Now he’s not dealing with managing with half a team, we’re seeing good performances and players realising that if they play badly, someone else is going to take their place. Youan seems to have perked his ideas up a bit but if he was to revert back to normal then that can’t be accepted.

Albert Kidd 86’
20-03-2024, 05:01 AM
Looks like Youan is more an argument-starter than a Firestarter!,:na na:

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2024, 06:15 AM
In front of Rory, you had nobody else who could play right wing. Maybe Jair, but he’s not very good and much more of a left winger. For holding midfielders you had Jeggo who couldn’t pass, Levitt who can’t tackle, and no other right backs. He, put simply, didn’t have a squad to do differently.

Now he’s not dealing with managing with half a team, we’re seeing good performances and players realising that if they play badly, someone else is going to take their place. Youan seems to have perked his ideas up a bit but if he was to revert back to normal then that can’t be accepted.

Martin Boyle has appeared in 9 of Whittakers 15 appearances. You’ve also went on and listed Jair and also listed the centre mids as if they don’t count because they’ve got flaws. All of our players have flaws.

You say he couldn’t have done anything differently, imo he could absolutely have done things differently. We’ll have to just leave it at that.

Northernhibee
20-03-2024, 07:10 AM
Martin Boyle has appeared in 9 of Whittakers 15 appearances. You’ve also went on and listed Jair and also listed the centre mids as if they don’t count because they’ve got flaws. All of our players have flaws.

You say he couldn’t have done anything differently, imo he could absolutely have done things differently. We’ll have to just leave it at that.

There’s a big difference between “flawed” and “terrible”, or “sixteen years old”. Rory will be a very good player but he’s still a laddie. You still don’t name him who else could have played at right back during international call ups, right wing, or midfield as you’d have to backtrack and admit that Monty has had both hands tied behind his back for most of his time at the club.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2024, 07:21 AM
There’s a big difference between “flawed” and “terrible”, or “sixteen years old”. Rory will be a very good player but he’s still a laddie. You still don’t name him who else could have played at right back during international call ups, right wing, or midfield as you’d have to backtrack and admit that Monty has had both hands tied behind his back for most of his time at the club.

You mean apart from Jair, or playing 3 in the middle to make us more solid and allow a sitting midfielder to support him?

If you ignore the options I did present then yes, you’d be right, I’ve never presented any options. Playing 3 in the middle was an absolute no brainer imo which would have allowed us someone like Jeggo to shuffle over and support Whittaker and also support the other two centre mids, so again, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Regardless of that fact though, this thread is about Youan. As a poster who has called fans all sorts for being critical of Montgomery, some of the stuff I’ve read you post about Youan has been even more scathing. Funnily enough though, when you don’t rate someone, that seems to be fine and doesn’t appear to fall into the ‘entitled’ category that other fans fall into when they don’t rate someone you like.

At a quick glance, we’ve had you declare him ‘beyond terrible’, ‘incapable of playing in a team’, ‘he’d be good on TikTok’, ‘talentless’, a ‘selfish, ***** player’. And that’s just on one thread. For someone as bad as you describe, I’m stunned he’s got so many goals and assists this season. You’ve quite clearly got it in for him despite him having a hell of a lot to show for his time at Hibs on an individual basis so it’s a bit of a waste of time discussing him with you.

19 goals and 17 assists in less than 2 seasons, but because his talents don’t lie in tracking back he’s selfish? *****? Talentless? Incapable of playing in a team? It’s quite some take. Each to their own though.

JimBHibees
20-03-2024, 07:23 AM
Looks like Youan is more an argument-starter than a Firestarter!,:na na:

:greengrin

hibsbollah
20-03-2024, 08:35 AM

:agree: I dont think Boyle is any more of a good defender than Youan is, but i appreciate his value when hes on form. The last forward who was really useful in that that all round sense was Doidge, who defended the cross ball better than most of our defenders .

EGL2000
20-03-2024, 09:52 AM
So frustrating at times, but love watching him and would much rather have him in the team. The player with the most flair and skill at the club when he's on it for me, some of his close control and dribbling is ridiculous. I think his biggest area to improve is knowing when to release the ball. So many times he would rather beat a man or two before passing, instead of just playing an easy forward pass.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2024, 10:04 AM
Seems to be learning to release the ball quicker but hopefully he does not revert back to old ways

He is undoubtedly a talent I remember he came on second half versus Hearts at ER after a spell out of the team and had something to prove

His skill pace and trickery as he effortlessly beat Hearts defenders even had the Hearts fans applauding it begged the question ‘ Why did he not start ?’

JimBHibees
21-03-2024, 09:25 AM
So frustrating at times, but love watching him and would much rather have him in the team. The player with the most flair and skill at the club when he's on it for me, some of his close control and dribbling is ridiculous. I think his biggest area to improve is knowing when to release the ball. So many times he would rather beat a man or two before passing, instead of just playing an easy forward pass.

The last couple of games his assists have been brilliant

EGL2000
21-03-2024, 10:10 AM
The last couple of games his assists have been brilliant

They have! Shows he has the ability but still feel he could improve on it. Especially from central areas, usually fine when crossing from wide areas, like his assists on Saturday.

eastmainsmsh
21-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Play Youan and Myziane up front think they could be a decent partnership

WeeRussell
21-03-2024, 03:54 PM
They have! Shows he has the ability but still feel he could improve on it. Especially from central areas, usually fine when crossing from wide areas, like his assists on Saturday.

I actually thought his slipped ball through to Maolida against County, from central area, was more impressive than either of the weekend’s.

They’re always going to be harder for him than firing/passing across the face of goal from wide. Especially as if they don’t come off he’s more likely to get stick rather than a corner or the ball breaking to his teammate.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2024, 03:59 PM
Play Youan and Myziane up front think they could be a decent partnership

Certainly not. Even if it works, totally throws the team shape that has been working off.

Say you go 4-4-2 = there is no place for Marcondes in a 442, and those are our 2 decent left sided players. You'd have to play Jair, or Boyle left mid. No thanks.

3-5-2 = Marcondes might play in this one, but Boyle doesnt, unless its wing back.

RIP
21-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Maybe now that we are signing better players, it's making talented players like Elie show how good they really are. We've seen loads of good balls into the box for the past two seasons only to find that there's nobody in the box to take advantage.

Posters should also bear in mind that he was brought to the club to be on the end of the assists, not to provide them.

If we had played him as a nine all season, instead of persisting with Vente, he would be on 20 goals, not 10.

Donegal Hibby
21-03-2024, 05:13 PM
Maybe now that we are signing better players, it's making talented players like Elie show how good they really are. We've seen loads of good balls into the box for the past two seasons only to find that there's nobody in the box to take advantage.

Posters should also bear in mind that he was brought to the club to be on the end of the assists, not to provide them.

If we had played him as a nine all season, instead of persisting with Vente, he would be on 20 goals, not 10.

Youan for me is like Boyle played central . Not as effective. Vente would get us goals too if played as a nine as well.

Bobby's Cinema
21-03-2024, 05:31 PM
Good OP. An important player for us. And one that opposition teams in this league and fans do not relish coming on.

It was a great contribution on Saturday. Recent form certainly doesn't justify being called out individually after the slightest error, do we want to put the fear into one of the only players on the pitch that can take a risk and get us off our seats?

10 goals and 10 assists by March in a Hibs squad and still getting pelters for end product. Can't say players like that have grown on trees over the years.

Unseen work
21-03-2024, 05:47 PM
Youan for me is like Boyle played central . Not as effective. Vente would get us goals too if played as a nine as well.
We’ve been saying this about Vente all season.

He's played as a 9 enough times to have more goals than he had, never mind the minutes just behind the striker etc.

ALF was out for months and has played far fewer minutes yet has more league goals than him

I like Vente, but he needs to step up.

Jones28
21-03-2024, 05:58 PM

He's played as a 9 enough times to have more goals than he had, never mind the minutes just behind the striker etc.

ALF was out for months and has played far fewer minutes yet has more league goals than him

Agree with this. He does need to start banging them in. Hopefully he can bag a few before the end of the season and get firing for next season.

Smartie
21-03-2024, 05:59 PM

All these players have looked more effective since we improved the centre of midfield though, including Vente.

Vente's injury came at a really bad time for him, at a time when there were players looking like they'd create for him, and a team structure that allowed him to stay in position to get on the end of chances.

Donegal Hibby
21-03-2024, 06:30 PM

A lot of this season we didn't have a midfield we have now though.

He has played as a 9 though he's lacked decent service imo .

Alf is a very clever player who makes some great runs into the box , Vente I see more as a poacher who comes alive in the box who needs the right service, play him as a 9 and provide decent service for him and I'm convinced he'd score goals for us .

RIP
21-03-2024, 09:38 PM

Boyle has barely played centrally this season. Youan played centrally for 35 minutes in one game at Easter Road. Last season a few times more when players were out injured.

Hardly enough data there to conclude Elie is better out wide. They are also different players. Elie is two footed and good in the air.

Donegal Hibby
22-03-2024, 10:41 AM
Boyle has barely played centrally this season. Youan played centrally for 35 minutes in one game at Easter Road. Last season a few times more when players were out injured.

Hardly enough data there to conclude Elie is better out wide. They are also different players. Elie is two footed and good in the air.

I actually thought Boyle was coming in more to the centre in quite a few of our games tbh .

https://www.footballcritic.com/martin-boyle/player-positions/34000

Both Elie and Boyle have in common that they are quick , tricky and very good dribblers . Playing out wide I think they see more of the ball than they would playing central .

It's all about opinions I suppose though I think like Boyle we get more from Elie when he's out wide , 10 goals and 10 assists is very good for a winger and as the saying goes if somethings not broken.......

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/elie-youan-202223-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Donegal Hibby
23-03-2024, 10:22 PM
Enjoyed this of Youan's assists and goals .
https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1771477488327139336?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Albert Kidd 86’
24-03-2024, 05:53 AM
https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1771477488327139336?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

WOW..

MIC DROP…
:take that

hibsbollah
24-03-2024, 12:23 PM

So many of his assists are from similar positions cutting back in from wide, all he needs is a runner in the centre and he just picks him out.

Donegal Hibby
24-03-2024, 01:23 PM
So many of his assists are from similar positions cutting back in from wide, all he needs is a runner in the centre and he just picks him out.

I think that's were you get the best out of him in exactly what you say in him being out wide and cutting back in , probably means defenders have to go and double up on him too which creates space for our other forwards too . Very good player is our Youan.

JimBHibees
25-03-2024, 06:07 AM

Brilliant