PDA

View Full Version : Alf

LaMotta
16-03-2024, 07:47 PM
ALf has got a fair few mentions on the MOTM thread but think he deserves a thread of his own.

Honestly think he was unbelievable in that first half - vital in all three goals. His movement and intelligence is absolutely top notch. The way he lays the ball off when under pressure, whether off the chest or with his foot or head is also tremendous.

He should be our main striker every week right now and I don't care how old he is - we should get him on another 1 year contract next year.:cb

JohnM1875
16-03-2024, 07:49 PM
ALf has got a fair few mentions on the MOTM thread but think he deserves a thread of his own.

Honestly think he was unbelievable in that first half - vital in all three goals. His movement and intelligence is absolutely top notch. The way he lays the ball off when under pressure, whether off the chest or with his foot or head is also tremendous.

He should be our main striker every week right now and I don't care how old he is - we should get him on another 1 year contract next year.:cb

Easily deserving of a year extension. Missed him so much when he was out and he's shown already how good he is at this level. Fit as a fiddle as well. I'd actually be gutted if we don't offer him anything.

Joe6-2
16-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Clever player, was excellent today

Silky
16-03-2024, 07:57 PM
Easily deserving of a year extension. Missed him so much when he was out and he's shown already how good he is at this level. Fit as a fiddle as well. I'd actually be gutted if we don't offer him anything.

He's quality. Still got it and looks sharp as well. Some of his runs are fantastic and the team look so much better when he plays. His football brain is on a different level and, for me, that's invaluable-you can't buy that-it comes with experience.

I'd be offering him a new deal ASAP. Might not play every week but must be invaluable to have around the place for the other strikers.

Mikey_1875
16-03-2024, 08:22 PM
Great performances in the last two games. He is also a great leader on the park. Always talking and telling his team mates where to be and where he wants the ball. I wish we had him a few years ago but I wouldn’t hesitate in signing him up for another year.

gbhibby
16-03-2024, 08:24 PM
It's a no brainer one more year.

andrew70
16-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Clinical with added finesse and class.

Well worth another year.

B.H.F.C
16-03-2024, 08:34 PM
If he’d been fit all season we’d be several points better off.

It’s not just the goals, it’s all the other things he does. Simple things like giving a defender a nudge, telling Youan what to do and where to be.

Showed today though that a good striker can do both sides, drop off but still be where he needs to be when the ball comes in to the box.

EdinMike
16-03-2024, 08:34 PM
“Clever” is such a great description.

Smartie
16-03-2024, 08:45 PM
There was interesting interview with Alex Neil through the week where he discussed his frustrations during his time at Sunderland.

They’re a moneyball club - buying youngsters with the idea of selling them on at profit. He was very critical of the owners’ reluctance to buy the necessary little bit of experience required to help bring the talented youngsters along.

ALF seems to be the sort of player who brings more out of other players, you get the feeling he must be a joy to play alongside. Another year is a no-brainer for me. His “significant contribution to minutes on the pitch” ratio for us must be something quite ridiculous.

We’ve been stung by a few older players who’ve totally failed to cut it at Hibs (Kuqi, Johanssen). Absolutely not this guy, he’s quality.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2024, 08:49 PM
His vision awareness and game intelligence unselfishly creating space and openings for others and being a pain in the arse of opposition defences has not been seen since Craig Brewster and dare I say it Stevie Archibald

ALF was an inspired signing and his experience and presence has been sorely missed over the past few months when he was needed most two goals in two games says it all

LewysGot2
16-03-2024, 08:50 PM
He's a Rolls Royce of a player 👏

LaMotta
16-03-2024, 08:52 PM
There was interesting interview with Alex Neil through the week where he discussed his frustrations during his time at Sunderland.

They’re a moneyball club - buying youngsters with the idea of selling them on at profit. He was very critical of the owners’ reluctance to buy the necessary little bit of experience required to help bring the talented youngsters along.

ALF seems to be the sort of player who brings more out of other players, you get the feeling he must be a joy to play alongside. Another year is a no-brainer for me. His “significant contribution to minutes on the pitch” ratio for us must be something quite ridiculous.

We’ve been stung by a few older players who’ve totally failed to cut it at Hibs (Kuqi, Johanssen). Absolutely not this guy, he’s quality.

His vision awareness and game intelligence unselfishly creating space and openings for others and being a pain in the arse of opposition defences has not been since Craig Brewster and dare I say it Stevie Archibald

ALF was an inspired signing and his experience and presence has been sorely missed over the past few months when he was needed most two goals in two games says it all

:agree::agree:

He is so good to watch. Even for his age he is one of the best all round strikers I've seen play at Easter Road. Can only imagine what he would have been like 10 years ago.

Hibs3-2
16-03-2024, 08:55 PM
Get a new contract sorted asap.

Bobby's Cinema
16-03-2024, 09:19 PM
Fantastic performance today showed us what we're missing when he's unavailable.

Link-up play excellent vs a team and backline that you'd expect would have the advantage physically.

Greensunshine
16-03-2024, 09:23 PM
You just know a quality player when you see one. It just goes to show that age is only a number! One more year extension is a must!

EdinMike
16-03-2024, 09:36 PM
I thought he was 35 ! He’s still that intelligent at 37 ?!! Yeh he’s definitely worth another year !

He's here!
16-03-2024, 09:40 PM
The skill he showed to set up Vente for his goal against Luzern (hard to believe that was this season!) marked him out as a player with something special to offer.

IberianHibernian
16-03-2024, 09:44 PM
Given his age I was a bit skeptical when we signed him but he`s been great whether starting or as a sub and we definitely missed him when he was out injured . Hoping he stays with us for another season whoever we sign as well .

Unseen work
16-03-2024, 09:55 PM
More league goals than Vente now with far less minutes.

He's clinical and always looks like he’ll get a chance/score.

Jim44
16-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Big + for me.

Zazu62
16-03-2024, 10:05 PM
Really wish he started against rangers

Pete70
16-03-2024, 10:06 PM
The guy is a player. Give him another year.

Paul1642
16-03-2024, 11:10 PM
Wish we’d signed him years ago

tonyrougier123
16-03-2024, 11:38 PM
Love Alf needs another contract pronto!
Such a nippy wee player and gives us a different edge we definitely missed him when he was out,really brings others into play up front and is dangerous.
I’m humbled by my initial hesitation that we’d signed him when we did. But another year and a years option to bolster what will be an exciting summer window wouldn’t do us any harm. What’s it all about Alfie!

The Harp Awakes
16-03-2024, 11:53 PM
Glad the Manager called him out for praise, he was immense in the 1st half. What a player.

Forza Fred
17-03-2024, 12:23 AM
Was looking through the A League thread on here and saw where I said in 2019yes 2019 when he was playing for Sydney, , that if Alfie ever said he’d be interested in joining Hibs I ‘d not so much call him a taxi, but fly his 747 to make sure he got back.
To Edinburgh.

Imagine if we had him for all that time!

One of the cleverest footballersI have seen on a football pitch.

Suburban Hibby
17-03-2024, 01:37 AM
In our league a player with “football intelligence” stands out like a sore thumb.

ALF stands out like a sore thumb.

Another contract is a no brainer for me

Bridge hibs
17-03-2024, 05:16 AM
Was looking through the A League thread on here and saw where I said in 2019yes 2019 when he was playing for Sydney, , that if Alfie ever said he’d be interested in joining Hibs I ‘d not so much call him a taxi, but fly his 747 to make sure he got back.
To Edinburgh.

Imagine if we had him for all that time!

One of the cleverest footballersI have seen on a football pitch.Agree and I was very happy we signed him, defo worth another year at minimum

Malonga's Cat
17-03-2024, 07:15 AM
Another voice for a new contract. He's just a class act. Does the support/build up role so well but also sticks the ball in the net. He's great to watch. Age doesn't matter when you are fit and contributing like he does.

Northernhibee
17-03-2024, 08:23 AM
By some distance the best striker we have at the club.

tonyrougier123
17-03-2024, 08:26 AM
Another voice for a new contract. He's just a class act. Does the support/build up role so well but also sticks the ball in the net. He's great to watch. Age doesn't matter when you are fit and contributing like he does.

Saw Pepe 41 now against Arsenal. Top of the prem,absolutely strolled it. I think the days of 32 33 34 being retirement time in the game is scarce if your injuries and style allow you to play on.

worcesterhibby
17-03-2024, 08:52 AM
He can teach Vente a lot, great to have him as a mentor. Another year is a must

Zazu62
17-03-2024, 09:18 AM
Would he want another year? Anyone know?

SON OF PADDY
17-03-2024, 09:32 AM
Lock him in a room, and don't let him out till he's signed a contract extension. 😉

NC1875
17-03-2024, 09:33 AM
To think some people slated the club when he signed.

He’s always been a great player, you don’t lose that. Get another deal sorted quick Hibs.

lyonhibs
17-03-2024, 09:58 AM
He must start when fit, an absolute no trainer. Touch and movement streets ahead of any other option

O'Rourke3
17-03-2024, 10:13 AM
Since his return and the introduction of the new players, the one touch give and go up top is a joy to watch.

Coach Jon
17-03-2024, 04:59 PM

He’s always been a great player, you don’t lose that. Get another deal sorted quick Hibs.

Our best signing.

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 05:26 PM
By some distance the best striker we have at the club.

Yep. We don't play like that with Vente.

Ronniekirk
17-03-2024, 05:26 PM
Would he want another year? Anyone know?
I think we are embarking on more exciting times It may come down to the quality of player we sign as he was champing at the bit to play with Emillio
Even Yohan upped his game in that period where we scored three goals

Hibiza
17-03-2024, 05:49 PM
2yr contract in order.

SerenityGreen
17-03-2024, 06:56 PM
Would like to see him and Vente play up top for a run of games. The times they did play together, I thought, was a sign of things. Cannot recall the game, but sure if was little flick from ALF to put through Vents to score. Good awareness and good goal.

Cabbage-Patch
17-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Best out and out striker at the club by a mile if only he was a few years younger. In saying that he is still very much in shape and may have another season or 2 In him. Player coaching role next season?

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-03-2024, 08:31 PM
We’d be so much better off points wise if he hadn’t been out for so long. Real shame

Garymcl
17-03-2024, 08:56 PM
Get him signed up plus keep a couple of good loan players addition of Mr Foleys big bucks next season should be fun :thumbsup:

Lago
17-03-2024, 09:00 PM

Not some, a lot.