PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the manager

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Coach Jon
13-03-2024, 09:20 PM
Another disappointing performance in a poor season for us, tonight summed up a manager who does not know how to win football matches.
The starting line up was never going to frighten Ross County, Marcondes CF... seriously???? Levitt starting???? Why???? Took 45 mins to hook Levitt and put Marcondes back to his proper position, and bring on a recognised CF. Team starts to play better in the second half, who'd have thought!!!!
So we manage to score two good goals and put ourselves into a winning position, into injury time he brings on sleepy Hanlon to pick up Simon Murray, result Murray left alone to have a shot well saved by Marshall, then sets up the winning goal in the space of 5 minutes...so another Desmond and we slide back into the bottom six..... seen this movie umpteen times this season, this manager has not got it in my opinion.

hibbydad
13-03-2024, 09:22 PM
Another disappointing performance in a poor season for us, tonight summed up a manager who does not know how to win football matches.
The starting line up was never going to frighten Ross County, Marcondes CF... seriously???? Levitt starting???? Why???? Took 45 mins to hook Levitt and put Marcondes back to his proper position, and bring on a recognised CF. Team starts to play better in the second half, who'd have thought!!!!
So we manage to score two good goals and put ourselves into a winning position, into injury time he brings on sleepy Hanlon to pick up Simon Murray, result Murray left alone to have a shot well saved by Marshall, then sets up the winning goal in the space of 5 minutes...so another Desmond and we slide back into the bottom six..... seen this movie umpteen times this season, this manager has not got it in my opinion.
He is a clown

Nicho87
13-03-2024, 09:24 PM
I don’t understand how Adam le Fondre a fox in the box sat on the bench and it took for that disgrace of a first half to consider putting him on.

Against Rangers marcondes didn’t work, Monty doesn’t help himself at times.

Bostonhibby
13-03-2024, 09:24 PM
The first half "tactics" and general playing style suggests to me the game is up, too slow to change it and questionable game management - again.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

sauzee1989
13-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Tactically inept and by the way he talks about the games afterwords he sounds like he wouldn’t inspire anyone in dressing room. Constantly using the same words.

Since452
13-03-2024, 09:27 PM
I've been one of his most vocal critics on here but since the St Mirren game we've been ok. We've done the bare minimum required since that game other than tonight. That is somewhat encouraging.

The problem is it shouldn't have got to this stage. Scraping to get in the top six is embarrassing and that's on Montgomery. Through his stubbornness we find ourselves where we are.

Big decision for the board to make in the summer. I think that'll be when a decision will be made on him.

Nicho87
13-03-2024, 09:28 PM
Tactically inept and by the way he talks about the games afterwords he sounds like he wouldn’t inspire anyone in dressing room. Constantly using the same words.

Yeah, you know, these are big moments, yeah, no.

sauzee1989
13-03-2024, 09:29 PM
Yeah, you know, these are big moments, yeah, no.

‘I thought’

bingo70
13-03-2024, 09:30 PM
For the most part I feel for him as I think he’s been absolutely shafted by a run of bad decisions like I’ve never seen before, there’s been a number of games recently that I find it hard to be critical of him, despite dropping points.

That said, there’s other times, like the team selection tonight and playing Marcondes up front and the St Mirren game I’ve never erased from my memory that was incredibly bad.

I don’t think he’ll be here next season but I have a bit sympathy for him.

Smartie
13-03-2024, 09:31 PM
I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

If we don’t get to 6 then a very serious conversation needs to be had but if he does then he gets next season for me.

We have to win on Saturday. By the time you get to this stage it is quite literally a must win game.

SaulGoodman
13-03-2024, 09:31 PM
Under Johnson at the start of the season we looked really good going forward but couldn’t defend.

Monty has come in and slowed our attacking plays right down and we still can’t defend.

The fact the player he signed to supposedly help our defence has turned out to be a better midfielder says it all.

Bored out my mind watching Hibs most weeks now.

Cod Boy
13-03-2024, 09:32 PM
We are playing in a poor league and scraping for a top 6 place not good enough also it must be hard to get motivated by the manager dull as dishwater

HibbyDave
13-03-2024, 09:33 PM
It’s always darkest just before the dawn…. I believe he can deliver.

I’ll get ma coat!

Genuinely think there is something in there but unless he wins a few he will go the way of many others before him.

HendoDelivered
I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

If we don’t get to 6 then a very serious conversation needs to be had but if he does then he gets next season for me.

We have to win on Saturday. By the time you get to this stage it is quite literally a must win game.

This!

AL-Qaholik
An absolute imposter.
And completely void of charisma.
Sounds like an imbecile in his interviews - proves it with his management.

thebausburst
13-03-2024, 09:34 PM
Times up surely, still shipping in soft goals every week, can’t win big games (OF, cup ties, derby). Get McInnes in and give him the cash to spend, we can’t seriously be planning to give this guy millions to spend surely to god.

hibbydad
13-03-2024, 09:35 PM
An absolute imposter.
You are right worst manager since Calderwood

andrew_dundee
I like him and I can see improvements.

If we get top 6 he should be given the summer to sort out the defence and get some good new blood in the team. The players he brought over January have been a big improvement and I'd like him to be able to build on that.

If we get bottom 6 he has to go.

GreenNWhiteArmy
I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

Agreed

hibbydad
13-03-2024, 09:36 PM
You are right worst manager since Calderwood
Sorry I have should have said Butcher

percy veer
13-03-2024, 09:37 PM
get rid, i want want a manager that trys to win games not pass pass pass until we go 1 nil down, All these bad decisions and its the same tripe that he comes out with every week get a manager in that is going to fight for us.

Scotty Leither
I feel really ambivalent towards the guy. He doesn’t really inspire, but he’s pretty inoffensive at the same time.

If I’ve got a criticism is he’s far too cautious and he’s a bit like Heckingbottom in that he seems to want to get to half time 0-0 and see what happens after that, it’s all a bit insipid for me.

Top 6/bottom 6 it’s all really about next season for Hibs now, and wherever we finish I somehow don’t think he’ll be there as the manager to usher in this new era at the club that we’re being promised.

Since452
I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

Made us better from when? The St Mirren game? We have regressed a fair bit from last season under a different manager who wasn't particularly good.

One Day Soon
13-03-2024, 09:39 PM
My thoughts on the manager are that we need a new one.

JJP
13-03-2024, 09:41 PM
We were terrible in the first half but it looked like we did enough to win the game in the end with a good second half performance. I couldn't believe the referee added 7 mins on. The manager should have got away with one. The amount of refereeing decisions that have went against us in the last couple of months has really stopped us from making any progress. I wasn't impressed by the manager previously but I think since he's changed the formation and set up of the team we have been pretty good and we would be in a much better position if we hadn't been on the wrong end of so many bad refereeing decisions.

hibbydad
13-03-2024, 09:41 PM
My thoughts on the manager are that we need a new one.
Could not agree more it has been obvious for weeks

Stuart93
13-03-2024, 09:43 PM
Made us better from when? The St Mirren game? We have regressed a fair bit from last season under a different manager who wasn't particularly good.

I was going to ask the same question

Has he actually made us better though?

percy veer
13-03-2024, 09:44 PM
mcinnes please

hibeerealist
Only one thought, he won't be missed!

Lago
It’s always darkest just before the dawn…. I believe he can deliver.

I’ll get ma coat!

Genuinely think there is something in there but unless he wins a few he will go the way of many others before him.
Churchillian 👌

Real Emerald
13-03-2024, 09:45 PM
I really don't get him. The most uninspiring beige manager I can remember. He just doesn’t inspire confidence and has no charisma, he fumbles his world and comes across weak. His team set up and decisions to change things are baffling.

I won’t lose sleep if he goes but I’ll support the team on the park always. The refereeing decisions against him have been ridiculous but maybe a stronger personality would get a different reaction, who knows?

GreenGray
13-03-2024, 09:47 PM
We won’t sack him.

He really needs to wisen up though, game manager was so poor at the end.

Blame the refs all you want but the goal was coming.

Makes baffling subs at times and on the other hand doesn’t take players off when it’s obvious.

Obita should have been taken off against Rangers, everyone could see a red was coming.

Youan should have been taken off tonight, not a player you want on the park when defending a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44
13-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Australian A league is a far cry from even our level of football. Montgomery, despite his relative success over there, is never going to hack it here. We’ll struggle to get into the top six and, being realistic, if we do, we’ll be the whipping boys for everybody. We’ll end up around 7th or 8th, and Montgomery will leave in time to bring in the next stab in the dark.

Heisenberg
13-03-2024, 09:49 PM
I was going to ask the same question

Has he actually made us better though?

Same point last season we had five more points on the board so I’d say it’s quite difficult to argue there’s been any improvement. Certainly better since St Mirren but he’s still failing to sort out the main issue which is the way we defend.

bingo70
13-03-2024, 09:51 PM
Australian A league is a far cry from even our level of football. Montgomery, despite his relative success over there, is never going to hack it here. We’ll struggle to get into the top six and, being realistic, if we do, we’ll be the whipping boys for everybody. We’ll end up around 7th or 8th, and Montgomery will leave in time to bring in the next stab in the dark.

I think the next appointment will be anything but a stab in the dark.

The club is changing, the next manager will reflect that.

SaulGoodman
13-03-2024, 09:53 PM
Same point last season we had five more points on the board so I’d say it’s quite difficult to argue there’s been any improvement. Certainly better since St Mirren but he’s still failing to sort out the main issue which is the way we defend.

Not hard though, is it? He could’ve had Paul Hanlon come out by himself, take a dump on the centre circle and leave and it still would’ve been an improvement on that game.

Stuart93
13-03-2024, 09:59 PM

Baffled as to how people can argue that he’s made us better then

Onion
13-03-2024, 09:59 PM
When you have a succession of failed you managers, you really need to look elsewhere for the problem. Monty will be gone by the summer, but won;t solve anything.

Hibby70
13-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Not hard though, is it? He could’ve had Paul Hanlon come out by himself, take a dump on the centre circle and leave and it still would’ve been an improvement on that game.

It would have tracked back better than Youan as well

Stevie Reid
13-03-2024, 10:02 PM
I’ve really struggled to take to him, his time has really felt very similar to Maloney’s in every way. No major highs or lows, just an extremely uninspiring period - but I do find him a pretty uninspiring character (same with Maloney).

He’s so far removed from what I thought we were getting when I heard reports of what he had achieved with CCM, and the impact that he’d had on their players.

Last few weeks have been pretty good to watch to be fair, but genuinely exciting moments/matches have been very thin on the ground - and I don’t for one second get the feeling that we’re on the cusp of much better times any time soon.

There’s absolutely no way I’d be entrusting him with serious funds and a major rebuild in the summer.

MrRobot
13-03-2024, 10:03 PM
I like him and really want him to do well. Wrong team to start but he changed it and we played better. He isnt at fault for us flapping at a cross and in the last seconds of the game; those 2 goals are down to the players.

That said, we aren’t anywhere near where we should be and with big investment in the summer, his position will come under scrutiny in the summer if we fail to get top 6.

bingo70
13-03-2024, 10:09 PM
I’ve really struggled to take to him, his time has really felt very similar to Maloney’s in every way. No major highs or lows, just an extremely uninspiring period - but I do find him a pretty uninspiring character (same with Maloney).

He’s so far removed from what I thought we were getting when I heard reports of what he had achieved with CCM, and the impact that he’d had on their players.

Last few weeks have been pretty good to watch to be fair, but genuinely exciting moments/matches have been very thin on the ground - and I don’t for one second get the feeling that we’re on the cusp of much better times any time soon.

There’s absolutely no way I’d be entrusting him with serious funds and a major rebuild in the summer.

Second paragraph is so true unfortunately.

I think he comes across as a decent guy trying his best, I really want to like him and I’ve given him the benefit of any doubt since the day he came in, I think I still am actually.

If I’m being honest though, he’s probably not been what I thought we were getting when I watched those clips and listened to his interviews as manager of CCM. On the pitch as well, he’s not had the magic touch on players I’d have hoped for and we’re not playing the exciting high intensity football he apparently played at CCM.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed more of the football under him than a lot of people have as I have enjoyed watching what we are trying to do. He’s not what I expected though, I think that’s definitely the case.

WhileTheChief..
13-03-2024, 10:16 PM
I really don't get him. The most uninspiring beige manager I can remember. He just doesn’t inspire confidence and has no charisma, he fumbles his world and comes across weak. His team set up and decisions to change things are baffling.

I won’t lose sleep if he goes but I’ll support the team on the park always. The refereeing decisions against him have been ridiculous but maybe a stronger personality would get a different reaction, who knows?

Agree with all of this. I don't dislike him, there's just nothing about him at all.

I doubt he'll be here for the start of next season.

Chorley Hibee
13-03-2024, 10:17 PM
Makes Alex Miller look thoroughly engaging.

Real Emerald
13-03-2024, 10:33 PM
Makes Alex Miller look thoroughly engaging.

Alex Miller at least knew Scottish football and how it works. This guy is letting the establishment walk all over us. He comes across weak and the establishment and Scottish football media are having a feeding frenzy as a result.

Swedish hibee
13-03-2024, 10:35 PM
A lot of the stuff I'm reading on here is exactly the same as Jack Ross. Just copy & paste to save yourselves time. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room full stop.

Stevie Reid
13-03-2024, 11:04 PM
Second paragraph is so true unfortunately.

I think he comes across as a decent guy trying his best, I really want to like him and I’ve given him the benefit of any doubt since the day he came in, I think I still am actually.

If I’m being honest though, he’s probably not been what I thought we were getting when I watched those clips and listened to his interviews as manager of CCM. On the pitch as well, he’s not had the magic touch on players I’d have hoped for and we’re not playing the exciting high intensity football he apparently played at CCM.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed more of the football under him than a lot of people have as I have enjoyed watching what we are trying to do. He’s not what I expected though, I think that’s definitely the case.

Agree he comes across as a good guy, and I don’t doubt for one second that he’s putting everything into the job.

I don’t really get the hard time he gets for his interviews either - I find him a bit awkward and quite a dull listen, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s like that behind closed doors. I found Steve Clarke to be an utterly dour ******* for many years, yet he inspired his Killie and Scotland sides to do great things, and those squads had a real togetherness.

However, he doesn’t seem to have the ability to really lift our team, and we do lack personality on the park - and the style of football has fallen way short in recent weeks.

There were times when I really thought we were onto something - I walked away from the Dundee 0-0 back in September really encouraged, I felt it was a game befitting of Mowbray’s “if we play like that…” mantra, and that we were moving in the right direction.

It’s been a disappointing few months since then though. If he does go at the end of the season, I’m sure he’ll be kicking himself, as huge opportunities have been wasted this season.

We should have been in the league cup final, and we’ve thrown enough points away this season to be sitting comfortably in 4th. To quote one of NM’s predecessors, fine margins.

Ultimately though, a 28% win ratio from his league games, and 1.28 PPG is pretty grim stuff.

Just_Jimmy
13-03-2024, 11:16 PM
Cheerio

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

badabing67
13-03-2024, 11:31 PM
I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

I don't think he has made us better, we arguably have the strongest squad now, than we have had for a while. We should be in a far better position. He has been backed and the reason we are in this position is down to him. Lets face it, he came to us with around 60 games behind him he is essentially a novice manager and his inexperience shows. With the new investment we really need to move on and kick on. I genuinely hope he is gone and we have a more experienced manager that, can play good football and win matches in for the start of next season.

Smartie
14-03-2024, 12:30 AM
I don't think he has made us better, we arguably have the strongest squad now, than we have had for a while. We should be in a far better position. He has been backed and the reason we are in this position is down to him. Lets face it, he came to us with around 60 games behind him he is essentially a novice manager and his inexperience shows. With the new investment we really need to move on and kick on. I genuinely hope he is gone and we have a more experienced manager that, can play good football and win matches in for the start of next season.

The points return from the games since those players came in has been acceptable, even allowing for dropping a couple of cheap points tonight.

We were very poor under him for a very large chunk of this season, I think he deserves appropriate criticism for that. The bottom line is though that the players he was relying on during that spell, including the likes of Levitt and Youan just aren’t going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Over the course of a season with our current squad, I think Monty pisses third place, even allowing for a leaky defence, his occasionally bizarre team selection and some odd game management at times. Hearts are currently pissing third off the back of a good goal scorer and good form for a quarter of a season.

Anthony Soprano
14-03-2024, 12:45 AM
See out the season and then part ways with him. Wanted it to work for him but seems massively out his depth, game management at crucial times is non-existent, went two one up and continually just threw away possession until we conceded.

andrew70
14-03-2024, 01:35 AM
See out the season and then part ways with him. Wanted it to work for him but seems massively out his depth, game management at crucial times is non-existent, went two one up and continually just threw away possession until we conceded.

That’s not his fault though. He isn’t standing on the touch line telling the players to take their foot off the gas and lower the intensity.

The players have got to be wiser and keep the ball better.

CallumHibs07
14-03-2024, 01:43 AM
Can't imagine Foley will be impressed given he punted Gary O'Neil at Bournemouth who was doing a much better job

we are hibs
14-03-2024, 04:23 AM
Don't really get why top 6 is the minimum.

5th should be the minimum. 6th is a failure.

Unseen work
14-03-2024, 05:09 AM
I was done with him but the form over the last couple of weeks had got me back on side.

But that first half tonight really makes me question what he is thinking.

Wednesday night, away to Ross County who are second bottom, short of confidence, bobbly pitch, cold and windy night and he decides to play 3 central midfielders, all of whom want to come short and get the ball to feet and are incapable of running behind. He then plays Marcondes upfront in a lone 9 when he quite clearly isn’t a striker and again wants to drop deep and get the ball to feet,

So he’s essentially went and played without a striker and made it so easy for County it’s unreal.

No fan or semi decent manager would have went with that team imo, it was obvious ALF had to start and look at the difference of the whole team when he came on

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2024, 05:21 AM
Alex Miller at least knew Scottish football and how it works. This guy is letting the establishment walk all over us. He comes across weak and the establishment and Scottish football media are having a feeding frenzy as a result.

Oh right. Here was me thinking our results were the problem. Its his interviews....

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2024, 05:22 AM
Don't really get why top 6 is the minimum.

5th should be the minimum. 6th is a failure.

3rd should be the minimum. Crap decisions all over the club this season have led to this. A lot more to blame than Monty.

Unseen work
14-03-2024, 05:23 AM
3rd should be the minimum. Crap decisions all over the club this season have led to this. A lot more to blame than Monty.

3rd minimum is nonsense.

We’ve finished 3rd twice in about 20 years and have the 5th biggest budget in the league.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2024, 05:44 AM

You could have saved posting all that by saying played Levitt.

marinello59
14-03-2024, 05:48 AM

The players shouldn’t need to be told how to see out a game, they are responsible for their own ‘game management’ in the closing stages.

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2024, 05:52 AM
Tactically and technically naive all over the pitch

Team selections and substitutions have been head scratching

Has not been helped by injuries suspensions and dodgy refereeing decisions along the way -comes with the territory - but did get quality reinforcements in January

Top six finish is a must for this club

I honestly cannot see the BK’s seeing Monty as being good enough for where we need to be based on what we have seen so far

Needs to wise up and stop being nice

Shoogly peg

Unseen work
14-03-2024, 06:08 AM
Tactically and technically naive all over the pitch

Team selections and substitutions have been head scratching

Has not been helped by injuries suspensions and dodgy refereeing decisions along the way -comes with the territory - but did get quality reinforcements in January

Top six finish is a must for this club

I honestly cannot see the BK’s seeing Monty as being good enough for where we need to be based on what we have seen so far

Needs to wise up and stop being nice

Shoogly peg

His constant blaming injuries of var (although valid at times) is becoming tiring.

If he came out a couple of times and either held his hands up saying he got it wrong or having a bit more of a dig at the performances would result in fans supporting him a bit more imo.

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 06:16 AM

Genuinely can't remember Alex being particularly critical of refs in his time

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Genuinely can't remember Alex being particularly critical of refs in his time

Best I remember was Alex McLeish calling out for protection from the Referee’s pre-match for Latapy in visits to Ibrox and Darkheid and seemed to work to a degree as Ref’s were looking for it

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Feel a wee bit sorry for him as the whole mindset and vision of him changes hugely if he wins the four games against the biggest teams when every one he has been shafted in. Even two of them would help however what was clear was that yesterday and Saturday were really must wins with a half decent performance. The first half and selection was bizarre pretty much nothing until we gift a goal then the real team turns up. Horrible to lose two points the way we did though surely we should be better than gifting up possession and inviting them on. What is clear we are now struggling for top 6 which is a minimum for me acceptable position.

ekhibee
14-03-2024, 06:43 AM
I feel really ambivalent towards the guy. He doesn’t really inspire, but he’s pretty inoffensive at the same time.

If I’ve got a criticism is he’s far too cautious and he’s a bit like Heckingbottom in that he seems to want to get to half time 0-0 and see what happens after that, it’s all a bit insipid for me.

Top 6/bottom 6 it’s all really about next season for Hibs now, and wherever we finish I somehow don’t think he’ll be there as the manager to usher in this new era at the club that we’re being promised.

Yep, agree with all of that. I would add that, also like Heckingbottom he makes some strange positional choices,ie with PH, putting Scott Allan out on the wing and in NM's case playing Marcondes as a striker.

Phil MaGlass
14-03-2024, 07:01 AM
Hell be gone end of season, not good enough

easty
14-03-2024, 07:02 AM
Hell be gone end of season, not good enough

Not soon enough.,

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2024, 07:04 AM

Good post. Nothing more to add.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2024, 07:09 AM
Oh right. Here was me thinking our results were the problem. Its his interviews....

His interview in themselves aren't the problem, but you've got to wonder what the players think when he speaks, no?

Loads of us on here find him insipid and uninspiring, not exactly qualities you identify with strong leadership.

If the players feel the same, or don't fully understand what he's going on about, then that is a problem.

How managers appear in the media does matter though. They are representing our club and it's nice when you can get behind what they're saying and feel a bit of pride.

With NM, it's more of a cringe.

Mind how we used to laugh at, and relish, Cathro's interviews?!! It's kinda been like that with LJ and now NM.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 07:13 AM
On one hand, have sympathy for him. There have been so many refereeing decisions that have cost us points and he’s had terrible luck with injuries (again last night we couldn’t name a full bench and were using kids to make up what we did have).

On the other hand he’s made some bad decisions. For all the talk of tactics, the worst of the lot was not addressing the defence in January. Regardless of setup, we just concede ridiculous goals. We were really good at drawing 2-2 when we played 442, we drew 2-2 when it changed slightly away at Kilmarnock in January and that’s now a couple of 2-2 draws since it changed to the 433. All because we are incapable of dealing with simple balls in to the box.

we are hibs
14-03-2024, 07:13 AM

I don't disagree that it's terrible decision making. Not just this season but for about 3 years now. The biggest one being terrible, scattergun recruitment.

I don't actively want monty sacked but if he was I wouldn't really be bothered. I'd be more concerned about those who keep making crap appointments being heavily involved in finding the next manager.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 07:14 AM
He’s not the man to take us forward.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2024, 07:18 AM
He’s not had his troubles to seek through injuries to key players and absence (foreseen yet not addressed by the club - that’s not on his watch)

He’s 42! And iirc had 60 games under his belt.

Many folks talk of changing the culture at the club.
That takes time.
Probably not helped by poor results (and perplexing officiating / VAR calls) not buying sufficient credit.

it’s really over to McDermott who’ll know if there’s enough there.

maybe we’re now in a place where we can go for an established, seasoned, proven manager but if we’re still in the place of young up and coming we need for everyone’s sake give him a fair crack of the whip.

So in that we’ve backed him financially question is how about riding out the merda that’s been the season so far.

HIBS NUTS
14-03-2024, 07:21 AM
His interviews are bland, because he doesn’t want to highlight the horrendous officials, that currently blight our game.
Our playing squad is now much bettter, the football style has improved, the average age of the team has reduced, many more youngsters at least being encouraged by making the squad.
His tactics were bizarre, but this apppears to be changing.
I would stick with him.

Diclonius
14-03-2024, 07:30 AM
I make that four new separate threads on the manager posted after last night's game.

Heisenberg
14-03-2024, 07:39 AM
On one hand, have sympathy for him. There have been so many refereeing decisions that have cost us points and he’s had terrible luck with injuries (again last night we couldn’t name a full bench and were using kids to make up what we did have).

On the other hand he’s made some bad decisions. For all the talk of tactics, the worst of the lot was not addressing the defence in January. Regardless of setup, we just concede ridiculous goals. We were really good at drawing 2-2 when we played 442, we drew 2-2 when it changed slightly away at Kilmarnock in January and that’s now a couple of 2-2 draws since it changed to the 433. All because we are incapable of dealing with simple balls in to the box.

Not doing more to sort the defence in January has been a terrible decision. The one signing he did make for that area looks a better midfielder ffs! Rocky and Fish can sometimes look good individually but as a pair they are still conceding terrible goals week in week out. It’s not really been any different with Hanlon/Triantis or any other player added, Fish has been the one constant though, dreadful season from him.

Hibee Daft
14-03-2024, 07:42 AM
I think the team has been really unlucky past few weeks.. its genuinely made me wonder if there's a conspiracy against hibs lol.

Aberdeen - we were the better team but denied the penalty
Hearts - we were the better team, referee ignored var decision
Celtic - we competed pretty well but 2 penalties given against us
Rangers - we competed well against them, soft penalty, a very soft sending off and a straight red.

If you look at the performances of these big games the team is playing well but they've been on the end of some harsh decisions.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2024, 07:45 AM
I think he'll go in the summer.

Not what I want as I really can't be bothered with the upheaval that comes with it and another manager coming in and having to reassess the squad and whatever.

However we are going to be spending serious money this summer, by Hibs standards, anyway. We have already spent a relative fortune and sit 7th in a pretty poor league. I don't think the club will take the risk of trusting a guy with as sketchy a record as Montgomery has here with that money and possibly having to move him on in October/November. Better to start afresh in the summer.

In an ideal world that won't happen and we'll go on a run now that shows he is the man and we are ready to kick on but I just don't see it. Every time it looks like we might be about to click we pull a total stinker out the hat and it deflates any belief I have again.

Hibs managers are about to be judged by very high standards and my gut instinct is we will want someone knew to take that on.

Mac_17
14-03-2024, 07:48 AM
I think the team has been really unlucky past few weeks.. its genuinely made me wonder if there's a conspiracy against hibs lol.

Rangers - we competed well against them, soft penalty, a very soft sending off and a straight red.

If you look at the performances of these big games the team is playing well but they've been on the end of some harsh decisions.

No doubt we can raise our game against the 'bigger' teams but its the terrible performances against the teams that we should be beating that bugs me!

Part of me thinks that Monty having a full preseason is whats needed and might help us kick on, but the other part of me wants someone better in before then.

Kato
14-03-2024, 08:00 AM

If you look at the performances of these big games the team is playing well but they've been on the end of some harsh decisions.I think he's a good man manager. Players seem very much on board with him but every game this has seen vital decisions go against him, unfairly - which will have a big say into whether he stays with us or not.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Since452
14-03-2024, 08:18 AM
His constant blaming injuries of var (although valid at times) is becoming tiring.

If he came out a couple of times and either held his hands up saying he got it wrong or having a bit more of a dig at the performances would result in fans supporting him a bit more imo.

LJ, Maloney and Jack Ross have all been crippled with injuries to key players. It happens. We had some horrendous VAR calls against us last season and still managed to finish 5 points off 3rd. Montgomery loves an excuse. Never his fault.

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 08:22 AM
I think it’s fair to criticise Montgomery for not addressing the defence. However there’s also mitigation in having to also fix the midfield and up front. Essentially to fix the defence in one January window would be at the expense of Moriah-Welsh, Emiliano or Maolida and existing problems persusting from their gaps. There was simply too much work needed in one window.

The defence could very well get a second manager sacked this season. The second goal was poor but can happen. The first though, that’s nothing to do with managers, tactics, formations etc. it’s 3 experienced players conceding a goal out of nothing. What chance have you got when you at least need to score most games just to earn a point and often need to score 3 to win games.

I don’t think last night told us anything new. We’ve got a good starting 11, alongside one of the worst defences in the league. Take out Vente, Boyle, and particularly Moriah-Welsh and the quality and team overall considerably drop. Having to revert back to Youan & Levit got the previous manager sacked. Taking Morish-Welsh out and players like Newell also revert back to their worst versions for long spells of games.

Think Montgomery making it to next season depends on how often he can field our strongest 11. If he can I think he comfortably survives into next season with a bit of momentum. If not it’s probably bottom 6 and he’s doing well to last the season.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 08:53 AM
I feel sorry for him to an extent.

VAR calls and **** refereeing have hit the recent upturn in form since the St Mirren game and effectively turned draws to losses and wins to draws in what, 3 games since?

If the calls go the way they should have gone we'd have a respectable draw against Celtic and away wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. 5 points dropped due to VAR and officiating.

I think injuries have been disappointing, Boyle now out for an unconfirmed period, Vente out, Amos out, christ we even signed a player who get sent back to Bournemouth injured not having kicked a ball for us, Cadden just back in, Rocky and Boyle both away on international duty, ALF out.

However, VAR aside he NEEDS to win against Livi, St Johntone and Motherwell, get in to the top six and go and make a fist of it. Make it a scrap for Europe and win some favour amongst the support.

It's not totally out of our reach but those 5 points dropped have made things a lot more difficult.

I'd question whether Youan is too ineffective defensively to have in the side. Contributed to a goal scored then a goal conceded last night from what I read - correct me if I'm wrong - so at what point does it become a net loss to him playing?

My question for him would be why play Marcondes up front when we KNOW he's a creative midfielder? Play players in their most familiar positions, where at least they are familiar with their roles. Shoehorning players in does not work. When has it ever? (apart from playing Stevenson literally anywhere across the back/midfield 4?

I've just seen the highlights, their equaliser is nearly as spawny as the sort of goals Hearts seem to score against us.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:54 AM

VAR calls and **** refereeing have hit the recent upturn in form since the St Mirren game and effectively turned draws to losses and wins to draws in what, 3 games since?

If the calls go the way they should have gone we'd have a respectable draw against Celtic and away wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. 5 points dropped due to VAR and officiating.

I think injuries have been disappointing, Boyle now out for an unconfirmed period, Vente out, Amos out, christ we even signed a player who get sent back to Bournemouth injured not having kicked a ball for us, Cadden just back in, Rocky and Boyle both away on international duty, ALF out.

However, VAR aside he NEEDS to win against Livi, St Johntone and Motherwell, get in to the top six and go and make a fist of it. Make it a scrap for Europe and win some favour amongst the support.

It's not totally out of our reach but those 5 points dropped have made things a lot more difficult.

I'd question whether Youan is too ineffective defensively to have in the side. Contributed to a goal scored then a goal conceded last night from what I read - correct me if I'm wrong - so at what point does it become a net loss to him playing?

My question for him would be why play Marcondes up front when we KNOW he's a creative midfielder? Play players in their most familiar positions, where at least they are familiar with their roles. Shoehorning players in does not work. When has it ever? (apart from playing Stevenson literally anywhere across the back/midfield 4?

I've just seen the highlights, their equaliser is nearly as spawny as the sort of goals Hearts seem to score against us.

No idea what’s happened to Youan recently. He’s never exactly been a rock defensively, but he was never as bad as this.

That being said, he’s probably our most effective attacking player statistically. We need to find a way to get him on the pitch without having to do any real defending.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 09:04 AM
No idea what’s happened to Youan recently. He’s never exactly been a rock defensively, but he was never as bad as this.

That being said, he’s probably our most effective attacking player statistically. We need to find a way to get him on the pitch without having to do any real defending.

Thats the crux of it. Unless he's played through the middle and is expected to not defend then these things will happen. I might be being a bit harsh basing this on last night, he was possibly caught cold like the rest of the team with the throw being taken 15 yards further on than it should have been and being given to the wrong team.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:33 AM
An absolute imposter.

Yip, he sounds like someone who's played football all his life and never read a book, other than Pep's coaching manual. I usually dismiss anyone that says 'fink' rather than 'think' in conversation as an idiot. He isn't changing my opinion on that.

big gogs
14-03-2024, 09:35 AM
He’s not the man to take us forward.
Who is the manager to take us forward,who is the football genius waiting in the wings.i await on the replies.montgomery is here long term.next season I’m looking forward to .more money coming in than we’ve had before,on the pitch and off it,the players that came in January never let us down ,but it’s time for a change.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 09:35 AM
Yip, he sounds like someone who's played football all his life and never read a book, other than Pep's coaching manual. I usually dismiss anyone that says 'fink' rather than 'think' in conversation as an idiot. He isn't changing my opinion on that.

These threads so often turn in to character assassinations. Piss poor.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:37 AM

We need an upgrade on Youan. If he hasn't worked out what his role requires by now he never will. The fact he's one of our best attackers says more about how garbage we've been than it does about him.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:40 AM

Seriously? If you're standing listening to someone that can't pronounce a 'th' do you think, sorry, fink, they're in any way intelligent?

Never met a person yet that did that and came out with anything other than nonsense. It's a basic sign of intelligence, being able to pronounce words, irrespective of accents.

GreenPJ
14-03-2024, 09:41 AM

:agree:

J-C
14-03-2024, 09:44 AM
He's now trying to blame the officials, he should 1st of all look at his starting line up and the 1st half inept performance, stop shifting the blame away from himself and the players.

J-C
14-03-2024, 09:46 AM
Seriously? If you're standing listening to someone that can't pronounce a 'th' do you think, sorry, fink, they're in any way intelligent?

Never met a person yet that did that and came out with anything other than nonsense. It's a basic sign of intelligence, being able to pronounce words, irrespective of accents.

The Beast from the Chase says fink etc, he's an extremely intelligent guy.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:55 AM
The Beast from the Chase says fink etc, he's an extremely intelligent guy.

He's putting it on, and if he's not it because he's from Devon. Where it's genuinely part of the accent, like pure cockney, unlike anywhere else. He went to a grammar school and Oxford. It's just part of his TV character I suspect. Yokel is surprisingly intelligent shtick.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 09:56 AM

Proving my point nicely there.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:58 AM

When our manager manages to not f##k up his starting 11 on a regular basis, and when pretty much every single fan was calling out the half time switch before kickoff then maybe we can assume he's not an idiot that thinks he's clever, which is a dangerous mixture that has predictable results.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 09:59 AM
Proving my point nicely there.

You'll have to expand on your point then.

matty_f
14-03-2024, 10:00 AM
I remain really conflicted on him. It’s like he’s nearly a really good manager but can’t quite get it over the line.

We were ten seconds of football away from everyone talking about a much improved second half, the character of the team to come back, digging in to see out the win despite an awful first half etc.

I watched the game on TV last night, my pictures were a good 3 or 4 minutes behind real time and even though i knew County had equalised, I’m watching it as the clock moved past seven minutes absolutely baffled as to how we could find ourselves in a position to not win from there.

My instinct is to stick up for him but you look at who we are dropping points to this season - everyone’s beating Ross County, their awful. We’ve got 5 points from 9 against them.

Trying not to knee jerk from last night, a win on Saturday changes the mood again but you can see from the reaction to a draw last night just how little credit he has in the bank with the support and to be honest, he can’t have any complaints about that.

Greensunshine
14-03-2024, 10:00 AM
We’ve changed managers so often I feel we need to stick with him and give him until the end of the season or at least until it’s mathematically impossible to get top six.

The real problem we have is that I don’t trust the people charged with finding a new manager.
What are the chances of them getting it right?
It’ll get to the stage were we become a poison chalice for any manager.

I have absolutely no confidence in Monty at all but you only need to look at the shambles up the road in Aberdeen.
They’d been better off just sticking with Jim Goodwin or Barry Robson. Look were it’s taken them!

Bottom line, he gets top six. He gets my vote!
If not, it’s cheerio!

Smartie
14-03-2024, 10:04 AM
We need an upgrade on Youan. If he hasn't worked out what his role requires by now he never will. The fact he's one of our best attackers says more about how garbage we've been than it does about him.

That's where I am.

And I don't think we can afford another half season whilst a new manager tries to figure out how to get a tune from Levitt and Youan.

I don't think Monty is perfect, far from it, but I think he identified that the midfield needed some serious upgrading as a priority and went out and did it. Like some others I'd like a little bit of acknowledgment from him that both he and the players have got things wrong but the injuries and refereeing decisions have made what should have been a superb run of results into a fairly average one.

I hope he gets the results he needs to keep his job in the coming weeks but if we doesn't, I don't really have a problem with Hibs being ruthless.

As per usual we have a power of work to do in the summer transfer window. I think we'd be best served with the preparation for that work being done now, and that doesn't allow for tearing it all up and starting again at any point within the next 6 months.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 10:07 AM
I'd get rid right now, if, the BK group were in charge of selecting the new manager. NM's done here. Too many fans have seen too much crap football. Even when his style works it's utterly tedious to watch. Recycle, recycle, wee attack, recycle, lose a goal, recycle, recycle. Tedious beyond belief.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2024, 10:07 AM
I cant wait to see the end of this season, so we can have the clearout that's coming and i include the manager in that.

Foley and the black knights are not going to trust this man with their startegy and money, and we will have someone who can do the job much better before the start of the coming season.

McGruber
14-03-2024, 10:08 AM
Have to keep Monty and give him enough time to make a difference. We haven't got much wrong since the rock bottom of the St Mirren game and that is another good result last night. That is us now both performing well and getting results, made ourselves favourites for top 6 and in with a chance of hunting down 4th. That's 6 league games since the St Mirren game with no exaggeration we should have won them all - that's 5 league games unbeaten. In that time it is just the first half last night that was poor. It was a poor team set up but importantly he changed it at half time, so learning from mistakes, and we have gone on to grind out a great result on the road. Getting rid of Monty now would be utter madness. Earlier in the season it was dicey but why would anyone call for his head now - clowns.

He has to go, he's brought in players - some given to him by the Bournemouth link up and had enough time to have got it right. Terrible result last night - must win game v Ross County with a lead in 97 mins. Team set up piss poor and how anyone would play Marcondes up top with back to goal instead of deeper facing goal with play ahead of him is nuts - especially with the other options available. He is tactically naive. Constantly blaming officials when even with the poor decisions we should be doing enough to make them irrelevant. Struggle for top 6 now and 4th is gone. With the players at his disposal that is criminal, unbeaten in 5 but still can't string 2 wins together. Time and again switching off at the end of games with no game smarts to see it out. How anyone wants to give him time is beyond me - clowns

Two paragraphs separated by David Munro and Linesman giving Ross County a throw in.

Smartie
14-03-2024, 10:11 AM
I'd get rid right now, if, the BK group were in charge of selecting the new manager. NM's done here. Too many fans have seen too much crap football. Even when his style works it's utterly tedious to watch. Recycle, recycle, wee attack, recycle, lose a goal, recycle, recycle. Tedious beyond belief.

There's no doubt it is like that at times. But there are other times when we seem to step the urgency up and it's really pretty good.

Most of our games recently, irrespective of the result in the end, have been characterised by long spells of ploddy rubbish, losing cheap goals but also some decent stuff and good attacking play when we're in full flow.

I don't expect us to be at our best for 90 minutes every week but our ability to flip back and forward between very different standards of performance is a bit bewildering.

I do wonder if it is deliberate and a game plan at times - try to stay in the game, play low tempo stuff, feel our way in - and then when we see the way the game is going to step it up and get the goals we need later in the game, rather than going out to blow teams away early on and during ourselves out, leaving ourselves with little in reserve if it doesn't come off?

McGruber
14-03-2024, 10:16 AM
Youan at fault for not tracking back but also no Ross County player should come into the box without a defender in sight. Obita was posted missing, Rocky was out left picking up Murray to fill for Obita and both Fish and Cadden pulled over beyond the front post. Criminal the goals we concede late and for there to be so much space in the box in the dying seconds is unreal and is down to more than the left winger not tracking back.

Fergus52
14-03-2024, 10:20 AM
I like him and I can see improvements.

If we get top 6 he should be given the summer to sort out the defence and get some good new blood in the team. The players he brought over January have been a big improvement and I'd like him to be able to build on that.

If we get bottom 6 he has to go.

This is where I'm at too.

I understand the criticisms, he seems needlessly stubborn and some of his team selections and subs I really don't agree with.

But if the refs in this country could do their job probably we'd be at least 5 points better off from the recent celtic, hearts and county games - meaning top 6 would be almost confirmed and we'd be breathing down Killie and St mirren's necks.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 10:21 AM
You'll have to expand on your point then.

I made it already. It goes beyond criticism of the manager and turns in to criticism of the man as a human being.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 10:22 AM
Have to keep Monty and give him enough time to make a difference. We haven't got much wrong since the rock bottom of the St Mirren game and that is another good result last night. That is us now both performing well and getting results, made ourselves favourites for top 6 and in with a chance of hunting down 4th. That's 6 league games since the St Mirren game with no exaggeration we should have won them all - that's 5 league games unbeaten. In that time it is just the first half last night that was poor. It was a poor team set up but importantly he changed it at half time, so learning from mistakes, and we have gone on to grind out a great result on the road. Getting rid of Monty now would be utter madness. Earlier in the season it was dicey but why would anyone call for his head now - clowns.

He has to go, he's brought in players - some given to him by the Bournemouth link up and had enough time to have got it right. Terrible result last night - must win game v Ross County with a lead in 97 mins. Team set up piss poor and how anyone would play Marcondes up top with back to goal instead of deeper facing goal with play ahead of him is nuts - especially with the other options available. He is tactically naive. Constantly blaming officials when even with the poor decisions we should be doing enough to make them irrelevant. Struggle for top 6 now and 4th is gone. With the players at his disposal that is criminal, unbeaten in 5 but still can't string 2 wins together. Time and again switching off at the end of games with no game smarts to see it out. How anyone wants to give him time is beyond me - clowns

Two paragraphs separated by David Munro and Linesman giving Ross County a throw in.

:aok: Great post.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 10:29 AM
I made it already. It goes beyond criticism of the manager and turns in to criticism of the man as a human being.

Okay, I accept that. But a manager is going to be measured by his results, and his results will generally be based on how intelligent the man is. Managers these days don't strike me as an unintelligent bunch, often quite the opposite, especially when you get to the bigger clubs. NM just strikes me as a bit of a dullard and I think that impacts on his role at the club. It's too big a job for him, and in hindsight it probably always was.

There's nothing more dangerous than a dafty that thinks he's clever. Last nights starting lineup was proof of that.

leith lynx
14-03-2024, 10:37 AM
I really want Monty to succeed, but I just don't think he's got it, unfortunately.
Time to act quickly now and go for Michael O'Neil, before Aberdeen beat us to it.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2024, 10:44 AM
It's too big a job for him, and in hindsight it probably always was.

Yup.

We're meant to be a top level club in Scotland with Euro ambitions. We need to get someone in who understands that and can deliver, instead of giving guys that fancy a shot at the job a go.

I really don't understand why we went for Maloney, LJ or NM. There was nothing about any of them to suggest they could cut it at Hibs.

Like others on here, I really hope the BKs are ruthless in the summer and we see huge changes.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 10:49 AM
Who is the manager to take us forward,who is the football genius waiting in the wings.i await on the replies.montgomery is here long term.next season I’m looking forward to .more money coming in than we’ve had before,on the pitch and off it,the players that came in January never let us down ,but it’s time for a change.

I’ve not got the tools at my disposal that the club/BKFC have at their disposal to keep tabs on managers all over the world.

That doesn’t invalidate the point that we’re going absolutely nowhere with Montgomery in charge. I’ve got the tools to see that - my eyes.

Fergus52
14-03-2024, 10:49 AM

Hibs class, eh?

Most of our fans are entitled morons

Criticise team selections, tactics all you like but the personal abuse aimed at our players and managers after every defeat is embarrassing and it's only been getting worse in recent years.

Folk will cry about our fans singing about the queen being dead then aim needless abuse at our own employees, makes me despair.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 10:50 AM
Yup.

We're meant to be a top level club in Scotland with Euro ambitions. We need to get someone in who understands that and can deliver, instead of giving guys that fancy a shot at the job a go.

I really don't understand why we went for Maloney, LJ or NM. There was nothing about any of them to suggest they could cut it at Hibs.

Like others on here, I really hope the BKs are ruthless in the summer and we see huge changes.

I think it might be a BK group pick next. A continental manager. The upgrades at HTC will play a big part in who we hire next I think. It'll be someone with a reasonable track record of success bringing youth through. Well, it will be if the board have any brains.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 10:52 AM
Hibs class, eh?

Criticise team selections, tactics all you like but the personal abuse aimed at our players and managers after every defeat is embarrassing and it's only been getting worse in recent years.

Folk will cry about our fans singing about the queen being dead then aim needless abuse at our own employees, makes me despair.

Are most fans doing that? :confused:

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 11:07 AM
Hibs class, eh?

Maybe footballs not for you. Poor didums and all that. NM is in a very well paid role and is the public face and voice of our club. If you're in that role then you can expect and deserve criticism when it's due. I fought his team selection last night was moronic. Verfor I fink he's a moron.

Causation in exemplar.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2024, 11:36 AM
Hibs class, eh?

Speak for yourself.

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 11:43 AM

A classy and really important point

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2024, 11:46 AM

Speech therapists might disagree.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 11:49 AM
A classy and really important point

I think it's a valid comment. Public life, and managers of all descriptions, football and otherwise these days, tend to know how to speak in public. It's part of the job.

I'm sure he's a decent guy, but he's miles out of his depth here. I said it elsewhere, he's a corner shop owner that's found himself in charge of a supermarket. Not his fault but it's not mine either. Time for him to go, imo.

Since452
14-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best creative midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.

JohnM1875
14-03-2024, 11:52 AM
Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.

Triantis has been good in midfield. Probably our best player last night.

Not starting ALF was baffling though. Especially when Marcondes up top clearly didn't work against the Huns on Sunday.

O'Rourke3
14-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Triantis has been good in midfield. Probably our best player last night.

Not starting ALF was baffling though. Especially when Marcondes up top clearly didn't work against the Huns on Sunday.Think the plan always was second half. Then he's not playing against fresh legs. Twice made great runs and found space to get shots in. Not sure he'd have that space first half.
Triantis was a revelation against the Huns of William so no problem with him in midfield again

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Think the plan always was second half. Then he's not playing against fresh legs. Twice made great runs and found space to get shots in. Not sure he'd have that space first half.
Triantis was a revelation against the Huns of William so no problem with him in midfield again

Ah, so being utterly garbage in the first 45 was just a cunning plan on NM's part. Right. Gotcha.

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 12:23 PM
I think it's a valid comment. Public life, and managers of all descriptions, football and otherwise these days, tend to know how to speak in public. It's part of the job.

I'm sure he's a decent guy, but he's miles out of his depth here. I said it elsewhere, he's a corner shop owner that's found himself in charge of a supermarket. Not his fault but it's not mine either. Time for him to go, imo.

Miles out of his depth complete hyperbole. If he had fair decisions in his recent games he would likely be on a 6 game winning run. How about a wee bit of support for the guy

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Miles out of his depth complete hyperbole. If he had fair decisions in his recent games he would likely be on a 6 game winning run. How about a wee bit of support for the guy

I think this is why we have McDermott… so we don’t strangle potential at birth. Provide an objective view.

it felt like a double kick in the stanes lastnight goals but the second half had some real positives - of which we need more no doubt. If we’d held on that was something to build on but that’s a stinker of a result which has been a bit of a recurring theme but digging deeper there has been circumstances that have impacted us massively.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2024, 01:32 PM

I think this is why we have McDermott… so we don’t strangle potential at birth. Provide an objective view.

it felt like a double kick in the stanes

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 01:58 PM

I've supported NM all season, albeit with reservations. Last nights lineup was so obviously a nonsense, and then, irrespective of time added/throw in nonsense, we couldn't hold a lead, yet again. It's fine, you want to support the guy, but I don't, I want him out of the club before the end of the season to give a new guy time to assess the squad.

NM's style of football does nothing for me, excepting the odd wee flurry before we go back to recycling the ball until we lose it and concede a soft goal.

Hibs aren't, and never should be, a place a manager can come and learn how to be a manager. I was happy with his appointment when it happened, so I'm not blaming anyone for it, but the experiment has gone on long enough. He keeps making stupid errors and is either too stubborn or too stupid to stop that.

P45 for him if I had my way. This season has been a shambles. Everyone talking about how many more points we would have had if VAR hadn't done us over. Well, maybe, but watching last night's latest episode of 'Bottlers R Us' I have severe doubts we'd have seen any of those games out either.

He's not up to it. End of.

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 02:07 PM
I've supported NM all season, albeit with reservations. Last nights lineup was so obviously a nonsense, and then, irrespective of time added/throw in nonsense, we couldn't hold a lead, yet again. It's fine, you want to support the guy, but I don't, I want him out of the club before the end of the season to give a new guy time to assess the squad.

NM's style of football does nothing for me, excepting the odd wee flurry before we go back to recycling the ball until we lose it and concede a soft goal.

Hibs aren't, and never should be, a place a manager can come and learn how to be a manager. I was happy with his appointment when it happened, so I'm not blaming anyone for it, but the experiment has gone on long enough. He keeps making stupid errors and is either too stubborn or too stupid to stop that.

P45 for him if I had my way. This season has been a shambles. Everyone talking about how many more points we would have had if VAR hadn't done us over. Well, maybe, but watching last night's latest episode of 'Bottlers R Us' I have severe doubts we'd have seen any of those games out either.

He's not up to it. End of.

In your opinion. I have reservations however can’t get away from the horrific decisions which have screwed us out of so many points. He has had one window where we have improved since. Seems very knee jerk and the poster who had the two opposite responses dependent on the 20 seconds at the end is spot on. That goal should not be the difference between sack or keep. Where we are at the end of the season should be. How about choosing to support

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 02:30 PM
In your opinion. I have reservations however can’t get away from the horrific decisions which have screwed us out of so many points. He has had one window where we have improved since. Seems very knee jerk and the poster who had the two opposite responses dependent on the 20 seconds at the end is spot on. That goal should not be the difference between sack or keep. Where we are at the end of the season should be. How about choosing to support

Of course it's my opinion. But yes, even though I'd be happy to see him off on a plane back to Oz, he has probably done enough, just, to warrant getting to the end of the season. Top six should have been an absolute skoosh this year with a half way consistent side. He hamstrung us with his ridiculous insistence on a two man midfield, only changed it when he must have known his jotters were in the post if he didn't, and still can't stop trying to be smarter than he obviously is with his team selections. Add to that his generally appalling use of substitutes, his inability to read a game, and his inability to see when a player needs taken off before they're sent off, then I really, really struggle to see why we are persevering with him.

Can anyone tell me what is the upside to continuing to persevere with Nick Montgomery? Anything? Because I genuinely cannot see anything he has done, at all, that makes me think 'Yip, there's a decent manager in there.'

Fair enough if you disagree, I applaud your loyalty, but I think it's misplaced in this case.

Since452
14-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Of course it's my opinion. But yes, even though I'd be happy to see him off on a plane back to Oz, he has probably done enough, just, to warrant getting to the end of the season. Top six should have been an absolute skoosh this year with a half way consistent side. He hamstrung us with his ridiculous insistence on a two man midfield, only changed it when he must have known his jotters were in the post if he didn't, and still can't stop trying to be smarter than he obviously is with his team selections. Add to that his generally appalling use of substitutes, his inability to read a game, and his inability to see when a player needs taken off before they're sent off, then I really, really struggle to see why we are persevering with him.

Can anyone tell me what is the upside to continuing to persevere with Nick Montgomery? Anything? Because I genuinely cannot see anything he has done, at all, that makes me think 'Yip, there's a decent manager in there.'

Fair enough if you disagree, I applaud your loyalty, but I think it's misplaced in this case.

It's incredible that some people still say he's a good manager

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 03:00 PM
It's incredible that some people still say he's a good manager

It's bizarre. He is patently obviously not a good manager. No one has improved, zero consistency, not much fight in the team. Nothing. He has brought absolutely nothing to the table.

allmodcons
14-03-2024, 03:43 PM

Horrific decisions?

Like sticking for far too long with a rigid 442 system that wasn't working.

Insisting for far too long on playing out from the back with average defenders regardless of the consequences. Not knowing that it's OK to change it up a bit and go long when it suits.

Signing a central defender to shore up a defence that leaks goals for fun and then playing him in midfield.

Playing a midfielder as a striker and taking 45 minutes of pure dross to see it wasn't working.

He just doesn't cut it for me. Not sure he knows how to set up a team and doesn't appear to be getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

The first half last night was unbelievably poor. Against a team second from bottom in a poor league, tempo was slow, passing was shocking, players showed zero ability on the ball and not nearly enough passion or desire to be playing in a Hibs shirt.

We then start to play a little, get our noses in front before reverting to playing far too deep and inviting pressure on our back line with a slender one goal lead.

Officiating at games might be poor but that doesn't excuse NM's poor management.

snedzuk
14-03-2024, 04:00 PM

If its the same highlights Ive just watched, then they didnt include Marshall's world class save from a Simon Murray volley about 2 minutes before they equalised. We just invited them onto us for more or less all of the time after taking the lead.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 04:09 PM
Horrific decisions?

Insisting for far too long on playing out from the back with average defenders regardless of the consequences. Not knowing that it's OK to change it up a bit and go long when it suits.

Signing a central defender to shore up a defence that leaks goals for fun and then playing him in midfield.

Playing a midfielder as a striker and taking 45 minutes of pure dross to see it wasn't working.

He just doesn't cut it for me. Not sure he knows how to set up a team and doesn't appear to be getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

The first half last night was unbelievably poor. Against a team second from bottom in a poor league, tempo was slow, passing was shocking, players showed zero ability on the ball and not nearly enough passion or desire to be playing in a Hibs shirt.

We then start to play a little, get our noses in front before reverting to playing far too deep and inviting pressure on our back line with a slender one goal lead.

Officiating at games might be poor but that doesn't excuse NM's poor management.

I would say anyone that's still supporting him now is doing so in hope as opposed to any actual evidence. That's fine, as fans we live in hope permanently. But our inability to be consistent at anything has made me run out of patience. There are no green shoots, no potential, no patterns of play, nothing, he has brought nothing to Hibs except excuses and tactical naivety.

WeeRussell
14-03-2024, 04:13 PM
Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best creative midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.

What’s wrong with playing Triantis midfield given how he’s performed in his two games there?

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 04:19 PM
I would say anyone that's still supporting him now is doing so in hope as opposed to any actual evidence. That's fine, as fans we live in hope permanently. But our inability to be consistent at anything has made me run out of patience. There are no green shoots, no potential, no patterns of play, nothing, he has brought nothing to Hibs except excuses and tactical naivety.

… and yet … as the poster you replied to pointed out … he has had points taken from his team that clearly shouldn't have been … and - not sure why tbh - the posters games listed omit hearts and the rangers matches decisions.

So … you could also say - it that didn’t happen, then we would have far more than green shoots … we would be very much further up the table. He has, and still is, being shafted as much as us … in EVERY SINGLE MATCH now. In front of everyone’s eyes … such a run of positive results can massively improve the confidence and belief of players .. just look at hearts the past while .. you know, I wouldn’t blame him if he felt relieved to leave and manage a club that isn’t receiving this treatment … though his sense of justice and honour would be deflated by it, I’m sure.

..: can you even begin to imagine what the media would be doing with this run of decisions, and the rangers themselves would be, if it was happening to them (as if it ever would, I know) ?

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 04:27 PM
What’s wrong with playing Triantis midfield given how he’s performed in his two games there?

Many a manager would get plaudits for such a change.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 04:32 PM
… and yet … as the poster you replied to pointed out … he has had points taken from his team that clearly shouldn't have been … and - not sure why tbh - the posters games listed omit hearts and the rangers matches decisions.

So … you could also say - it that didn’t happen, then we would have far more than green shoots … we would be very much further up the table. He has, and still is, being shafted as much as us … in EVERY SINGLE MATCH now. In front of everyone’s eyes … such a run of positive results can massively improve the confidence and belief of players .. just look at hearts the past while .. you know, I wouldn’t blame him if he felt relieved to leave and manage a club that isn’t receiving this treatment … though his sense of justice and honour would be deflated by it, I’m sure.

..: can you even begin to imagine what the media would be doing with this run of decisions, and the rangers themselves would be, if it was happening to them (as if it ever would, I know) ?

I do totally agree we have been shafted by VAR, what I don't agree with is the presumption that if those decisions had gone for us we would be sitting higher in the table. That would have required us to see games out, something we are almost entirely incapable of doing. That's on NM in my view.

It's okay to have a different opinion. I don't think folk that want him to stay are stupid, I get the desire for stability and possible incremental progression. But for me it's not going to happen. His style of play, his demeanour, his tactical stupidity, his inability to see what others can have all led me to this point.

It's not really a big deal. Fan doesn't like manager - it changes nothing. But I sincerely hope that the BK group have other ideas about how we progress as a club, and that it doesn't involve a rookie learning, or not learning, on the job. We're way better than that.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 04:33 PM
Horrific decisions?

Poor officiating isn't a excuse it's a fact that we have been shafted out of at least 7 points recently which would have had us 4th and folk not moaning about the manager too .

Anthony Soprano
14-03-2024, 04:33 PM
That’s not his fault though. He isn’t standing on the touch line telling the players to take their foot off the gas and lower the intensity.

The players have got to be wiser and keep the ball better.

I agree to an extent. But we have to have tactics in place that allow us to see out a game, after going 2-1 up last night the players looked like they hadn’t a clue what to do, we cleared it as far as the half way line, gave possession away and allowed them to attack time after time. This has happened throughout the season and judging by last night it looks like it’s never been addressed.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2024, 04:35 PM
Horrific decisions?

Saved me the bother.👍👍👍

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 04:42 PM
Speech therapists might disagree.

Would they though? Their whole job is about trying to help people to speak properly surely? :dunno:

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 04:57 PM

I agree with every single word of this. I would add that his attempt to fix our central defence has resulted in precisely no improvement there whatsoever.

He's getting to make all his mistakes as an inexperienced manager at Hibs (failure to sub Obita against Ugly Sister Bigot anyone?) when we are absolutely crying out for a manager who can make the most of our not inconsiderable resources.

I fear that the worst possible outcome will (again) happen here. He ends up doing just enough to allow the person with the title of Chief Executive and the person who is the de-facto Chief Executive to keep him on and spare their considerable blushes for yet another failed appointment gamble Football Manager stylee, he then gets the window to spend money, we then begin next season and - surprise, surprise - he has us still playing chronic to watch punchless, pointless, passing across the back, stutters with results and then gets emptied early in the season and we are then left with weeks of a gap without a manager who when he is eventually appointed inevitably has to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. All over again. Rinse and repeat.

As ever, I look forward to having to gorge on humble pie if he proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier. But I'll make to plans to cook my own dinner because I very much doubt the pie is going to come along to trouble me.

Heisenberg
14-03-2024, 04:59 PM
I agree to an extent. But we have to have tactics in place that allow us to see out a game, after going 2-1 up last night the players looked like they hadn’t a clue what to do, we cleared it as far as the half way line, gave possession away and allowed them to attack time after time. This has happened throughout the season and judging by last night it looks like it’s never been addressed.

The manager said this about it recently

“One thing we did in a period where we were losing leads in games, we ended up conceding because we stopped playing, stopped having the ball, and that was down to trying to hold out for a win rather than killing a game off.

“I’d rather be a team that tries to kill games than sits on a lead,” he said. “That happened to us a few times, and we dropped points from winning positions. That’s a mentality thing you have to change with the players, but that doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time.”

Very much looks like he’s still not found a way to get them to do it going by last night.

ekhibee
14-03-2024, 05:13 PM
I actually think Montgomery isn't a bad manager, I just don't think he's quite good enough to take us forward, if we are to become anything like the 3rd force in Scottish football it won't be with him in charge, that's a cert. I don't think he's that bad a manager, just maybe not quite good enough to take us forward?

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 05:16 PM
Ah, so being utterly garbage in the first 45 was just a cunning plan on NM's part. Right. Gotcha.

That’s not what he said …

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 05:28 PM
I do totally agree we have been shafted by VAR, what I don't agree with is the presumption that if those decisions had gone for us we would be sitting higher in the table. That would have required us to see games out, something we are almost entirely incapable of doing. That's on NM in my view.

It's okay to have a different opinion. I don't think folk that want him to stay are stupid, I get the desire for stability and possible incremental progression. But for me it's not going to happen. His style of play, his demeanour, his tactical stupidity, his inability to see what others can have all led me to this point.

It's not really a big deal. Fan doesn't like manager - it changes nothing. But I sincerely hope that the BK group have other ideas about how we progress as a club, and that it doesn't involve a rookie learning, or not learning, on the job. We're way better than that.

So … we have been shafted by VAR you say … I agree.

The presumption you state is not actually a “presumption”, as much as you seem to want and will it to be.

Simple example … give us a throw in last night, rather than the wrong decision ? We gain two points. There was no time left for any other alternative .. unless he kept playing until there was, but that’s another (potentially corrupt) thing.

You talk of incremental progression. Take away corrupt decisions, we HAVE seen it in the past half dozen matches. And if there had been no corrupt decisions … we would have momentum … players gaining in confidence .. many more points on the board … in the top six comfortably …

It is really a big deal … the corruption, that is. It’s crucial and it’s massive in the difference all over the board. That’s why it happens.

Onion
14-03-2024, 05:32 PM
The picture is mudded by the awful clutch of players he inherited, but I was really hoping he'd be able to knock them into some kind of cohesive unit capable of at least fighting for 3rd or 4th. None of that has happened. I've been uninspired by his team selection, his teams half-arsed performances and his teams ability to ship goals without much of an attempt to stem it.

Bottom line, I rate Hibs managers based on their use of subs and ability to change the game (in our favour !) when things need altering. In this respect Monty has been abysmal. He shows next to no understanding of what's actually going on the pitch. It feels like a complete lottery when he chucks players on, and who he chucks on. If Hibs decide to get rid of him now, I wouldn't care. I will however be deeply concerned if he's still in place come the last day of the season. We have a very big opportunity, thru Foley, to start buildings something new at Hibs. If the Hibs Board sleep-walk into this, we're sunk and the fans will surely let them know.

CropleyWasGod
Would they though? Their whole job is about trying to help people to speak properly surely? :dunno:

My point was, in answering the OP, that inability to pronounce words "properly" is not, of itself, a sign of low intelligence.

That's insulting and patronising IMO, and certainly shouldn't be a stick to beat someone over the head with, no matter what other issues one might have with them.

cubehindthegoal
Poor officiating isn't a excuse it's a fact that we have been shafted out of at least 7 points recently which would have had us 4th and folk not moaning about the manager too .

Exactly … even complimenting him … can you imagine those here who are speaking out now against him - while ignoring or trying to lessen the corruption effect - I wonder what they would say then ?

Kato
14-03-2024, 05:35 PM
So … we have been shafted by VAR you say … I agree.

The presumption you state is not actually a “presumption”, as much as you seem to want and will it to be.

Simple example … give us a throw in last night, rather than the wrong decision ? We gain two points. There was no time left for any other alternative .. unless he kept playing until there was, but that’s another (potentially corrupt) thing.

You talk of incremental progression. Take away corrupt decisions, we HAVE seen it in the past half dozen matches. And if there had been no corrupt decisions … we would have momentum … players gaining in confidence .. many more points on the board … in the top six comfortably …

It is really a big deal … the corruption, that is. It’s crucial and it’s massive in the difference all over the board. That’s why it happens.The second half of season 1972-73 agrees with this post.

When Stanton was manager ten years or so later there was an SFA system whereby after the match managers filled out a form and gave the officials marks out of 10. Pat would post his on the Thursday before a Saturday game and give them 0/10. Didn't do him any favours to be fair, when they fined him for speaking out after a game, which he refused to pay. I wonder what Pat's thoughts are on the current bunch of currant bun clowns.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 05:37 PM
My point was, in answering the OP, that inability to pronounce words "properly" is not, of itself, a sign of low intelligence.

That's insulting and patronising IMO, and certainly shouldn't be a stick to beat someone over the head with, no matter what other issues one might have with them.

Yes I know.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 05:38 PM

Well said 👍

Gatecrasher
14-03-2024, 05:41 PM
We have improved since the St Mirren game which was a real low, we have also been on the rough end of a number of bizzare refereeing decisions recently which has cost us some valuble point. If we carry on as we are to the end of the season and make top 6 he deserves the summer to continue building.

Zazu62
14-03-2024, 05:43 PM
Absolutely no point in sacking him now. Let’s see what happens in the remaining games.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Exactly … even complimenting him … can you imagine those here who are speaking out now against him - while ignoring or trying to lessen the corruption effect - I wonder what they would say the. ? Probably disappear …

Woulda, coulda, shouda. There are lots of maybes and if onlys in life.

Perhaps if Obita had been subbed the whole Rangers game would have turned out differently? But he wasn't. Perhaps if we'd had a sensible line up for the first 45 minutes last night the whole game would have turned out differently? But we didn't. Perhaps if we had a shape and playing style that was consistent in all of these unfortunate games recently the results would have been different. But we didn't. Perhaps if the guy the manager signed as his number one target to strengthen our defence had actually strengthened our defence we we wouldn't be leaking so many daft goals in these recent games and would have won them? But he didn't.

Maybe the universe has been picking on him, maybe it hasn't. We are about to find out because we are now at the sharp end.

Basildon Hibs
14-03-2024, 05:49 PM

👍👍

Basildon Hibs
14-03-2024, 05:52 PM
The thought of Montgomery being let loose in the next transfer window with Foley's millions, gives me the fear .. 😲😱

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 05:55 PM
The thought of Montgomery being let loose in the next transfer window with Foley's millions, gives me the fear .. 😲😱

If there is one thing he deserves some credit for it players he’s brought in, coming in and making us better.

gaz1875
14-03-2024, 05:57 PM

Why would it give you the fear when all his signings were better than what we had previously?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 05:59 PM
When you speak in public as part of your professional career then pronouncing 'TH' properly isn't to much to ask, is it? It's not a speech impediment, it's a lazy affectation unless you're basically a cockney. I can't actually remember the last time I heard a non cockney speak like that in a public facing job. I have no issues with accents and regional dialect, but the th/f thing is just dafty talk.

Sure NM is a very clever fella really. Just not at football management.

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:00 PM
Why would it give you the fear when all his signings were better than what we had previously?

Also we'll have a lot more money and wider scouting due to the link up with the BK's, just how much influence in getting in the loan players were due to NM, possibly just Triantis and the other young CH who returned injured.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:01 PM
Also we'll have a lot more money and wider scouting due to the link up with the BK's, just how much influence in getting in the loan players were due to NM, possibly just Triantis and the other young CH who returned injured.

Pretty sure our next appointment will be a 'Head Coach'. Not sure if that's meant to be NM's current role?

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:02 PM
When you speak in public as part of your professional career then pronouncing 'TH' properly isn't to much to ask, is it? It's not a speech impediment, it's a lazy affectation unless you're basically a cockney. I can't actually remember the last time I heard a non cockney speak like that in a public facing job. I have no issues with accents and regional dialect, but the th/f thing is just dafty talk.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, this whole post is utter nonsense.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:02 PM
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, this whole post is utter nonsense.

😂😂

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2024, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure our next appointment will be a 'Head Coach'. Not sure if that's meant to be NM's current role?

Its exactly the same thing as a manager.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 06:05 PM
Woulda, coulda, shouda. There are lots of maybes and if onlys in life.

Perhaps if Obita had been subbed the whole Rangers game would have turned out differently? But he wasn't. Perhaps if we'd had a sensible line up for the first 45 minutes last night the whole game would have turned out differently? But we didn't. Perhaps if we had a shape and playing style that was consistent in all of these unfortunate games recently the results would have been different. But we didn't. Perhaps if the guy the manager signed as his number one target to strengthen our defence had actually strengthened our defence we we wouldn't be leaking so many daft goals in these recent games and would have won them? But he didn't.

Maybe the universe has been picking on him, maybe it hasn't. We are about to find out because we are now at the sharp end.

Perhaps if the corrupt decisions had not happened in the matches, we would not even be having this discussion. But …

… if we continue to allow them to happen, then it continues to allow your argument to look valid.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:07 PM
Its exactly the same thing as a manager.

I understood that a head coach has less involvement in transfers than a manager. He's there to coach the players a DoF brings in, with input obviously, but no overall say on transfer policy.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 06:12 PM

“dafty” you say …

Seriously ?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:14 PM
“dafty” you say …

Seriously ?

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Anytime I hear a person using f instead of th I find them pretty thick in general. Lots of you differ. No problem.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 06:19 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Anytime I hear a person using f instead of th I find them pretty thick in general. Lots of you differ. No problem.

Are you for real ? Do you even have any inkling of how you sound saying such a thing?

“Dafty” and “thick” … wow

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:22 PM
Are you for real ? Do you even have any inkling of how you sound saying such. thing?

I get it's not a popular view. But it annoys me. I can listen to David Martindale and get that how he speaks is a bit irritating but just an accent, but folk that choose not to pronounce words properly in that particular way just strike me as thick. My issue, not yours, life goes on.

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Are you for real ? Do you even have any inkling of how you sound saying such a thing?

I pointed out the Beast on the Chase speaks this way and he tried saying it was his dialect from where he's from, such rubbish. It's probably a lazy way of speaking but has zero affect on his intellect.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:28 PM
I pointed out the Beast on the Chase speaks this way and he tried saying it was his dialect from where he's from, such rubbish. It's probably a lazy way of speaking but has zero affect on his intellect.

But perception is everything. Particularly in a public facing role.

Cat Stanton
14-03-2024, 06:29 PM

Anyway getting back on track.... My thoughts are he is an improvement on Johnson. Albeit my 90 year old mother in law who has no interest in football would be an improvement on Johnson. I want him to succeed. I have a feeling he will come good. There's been major improvement in the last few games starting with the Septic 1-2 game (but admittedly after a low point of the St. Mirren game which was as bad as I can ever remember). The players obviously buy into him. So we need to give him a bit of time.

Had we won last night this thread wouldn't exist. But a 99th minute equaliser results in full meltdown on here with the pitchfork and torch brigade screaming their usual "imposter" and "get him emptied" screams. The situation needs a bit of patience, especially after the last few years of chaos.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2024, 06:30 PM
I get it's not a popular view. But it annoys me. I can listen to David Martindale and get that how he speaks is a bit irritating but just an accent, but folk that choose not to pronounce words properly in that particular way just strike me as thick. My issue, not yours, life goes on.

What about those people who have no choice?

Do you know, for example, that NM isn't one of them?

I'm Spartacus
14-03-2024, 06:30 PM
I don't think he's made us better, the players he's landed have made us better, we're punching below our weight IMO.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:32 PM
What about those people who have no choice?

Do you know, for example, that NM isn't one of them?

Because that particular style of speech is not a speech impediment. It's a choice. That is a fact.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:32 PM
I don't think he's made us better, the players he's landed have made us better, we're punching below our weight IMO.

Correct. The Foley loans and M-W have bought him more time.

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:34 PM
But perception is everything. Particularly in a public facing role.

So because someone can't pronounce their th's and says f's instead you perceive them as thickos, jeez what a small narrow minded view of people you have. Have you heard Kevin Bridges, he'll drive you bonkers then as he's the very same saying Fink etc, I would also say he's a very clever witty guy and not as you would say thick.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 06:34 PM
Perhaps if the corrupt decisions had not happened in the matches, we would not even be having this discussion. But …

… if we continue to allow them to happen, then it continues to allow your argument to look valid.

It doesn't 'look' valid, it is valid. The things I list are all things he has either done or failed to do. That's not really disputable.

eg If you decide to effectively not properly contest the first half of the game against Ross County last night because of your starting selection, then it's harder to complain about a bad decision biting your arse at the end of the game by which time a different approach might have already had the three points wrapped up.

Maybe he'll come good, but so far an awful lot of what has befallen him has been substantially of his own making.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:36 PM
So because someone can't pronounce their th's and says f's instead you perceive them as thickos, jeez what a small narrow minded view of people you have. Have you heard Kevin Bridges, he'll drive you bonkers then as he's the very same saying Fink etc, I would also say he's a very clever witty guy and not as you would say thick.

Ha, I don't necessarily think NM is thick. I think he comes across as thick. And yeah, Kevin Bridges is not my thing. He's just a typical wannabe, affected cockney, like most of the estuary English adopters.

Anyway, enough of this for me. It's not going to result in NM getting sacked and it's gone off topic.

Cheers for all contributions to the chat. 😁

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:42 PM
Ha, I don't necessarily think NM is thick. I think he comes across as thick. And yeah, Kevin Bridges is not my thing. He's just a typical wannabe, affected cockney, like most of the estuary English adopters.

Anyway, enough of this for me. It's not going to result in NM getting sacked and it's gone off topic.

WTF does that even mean, Kevin Bridges is from Glasgow, Mark Labbett is from Devon.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:46 PM
WTF does that even mean, Kevin Bridges is from Glasgow, Mark Labbett is from Devon.

It's estuary English that had been adopted by younger generations as they thought it sounded cool. It's pretty well documented cultural fact. Hardly my problem you don't know about it. If it fascinates you that much look it up.

Thirty years ago the only folk that used f instead of th
were Londoners. The dominance of London culture spread it throughout the UK. Yes, as far as Glasgow.

Good night. 😘

marinello59
14-03-2024, 06:47 PM

How do you know it’s a lazy affectation? Surely that’s a lazy assumption,
Criticising his managerial abilities is fair enough, some of the personal attacks on him are pretty distasteful. No need for them.

Lago
14-03-2024, 06:47 PM

What a strange post 🙄

J-C
14-03-2024, 06:59 PM
It's estuary English that had been adopted by younger generations as they thought it sounded cool. It's pretty well documented cultural fact. Hardly my problem you don't know about it. If it fascinates you that much look it up.

Thirty years ago the only folk that used f instead of th
were Londoners. The dominance of London culture spread it throughout the UK. Yes, as far as Glasgow.

Good night. 😘

So you think The Beast and Kevin Bridges put it on just to be cool hahaha. I watched an episode of Only Connect when series 1 winners played series 2 and Mark Labbet was playing, the programme was from 2010 before he became the Beast, so you think before he became famous he was speaking this way just to try and be cool, jeez mate I've heard it all, this place is absolute nuts at times.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 07:05 PM
So you think The Beast and Kevin Bridges put it on just to be cool hahaha. I watched an episode of Only Connect when series 1 winners played series 2 and Mark Labbet was playing, the programme was from 2010 before he became the Beast, so you think before he became famous he was speaking this way just to try and be cool, jeez mate I've heard it all, this place is absolute nuts at times.

Jeeze. Go look it up. It's just a way of speaking that was adopted by folk thirty/forty years ago and has sadly stuck around. People in Glasgow fifty years ago pronounced their th's perfectly well. It's a modern adoption of supposedly cool estuary English. This is not really up for debate.

I'm starting to think you might not pronounce your th's...

JammyDoidger
14-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Basic. With the players we are going to be looking at signing we need better in the dugout imo.

O'Rourke3
14-03-2024, 07:24 PM
Ah, so being utterly garbage in the first 45 was just a cunning plan on NM's part. Right. Gotcha.Take a day off ffs. No simply addressing not playing ALF from the start.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2024, 07:36 PM
Jeeze. Go look it up. It's just a way of speaking that was adopted by folk thirty/forty years ago and has sadly stuck around. People in Glasgow fifty years ago pronounced their th's perfectly well. It's a modern adoption of supposedly cool estuary English. This is not really up for debate.

I'm starting to fink NM thucked your coupon last night. :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
14-03-2024, 07:47 PM
NM has sorted Midfield out a top centre half Left back GK and we should be ok think he will be given time

NC1875
14-03-2024, 07:52 PM

T huck off 😝

Why is ***** swear filtered ? 😂

HoboHarry
14-03-2024, 08:00 PM
NM has sorted Midfield out a top centre half Left back GK and we should be ok think he will be given time

And rightly so.

CockneyRebel
14-03-2024, 08:05 PM
Basic. With the players we are going to be looking at signing we need better in the dugout imo.

I'm starting to get the feeling that if we are doing well in a game, and looking like getting a result, he will find a way to mess it up.

CockneyRebel
14-03-2024, 08:12 PM

I'm starting to think you're not very bright

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2024, 08:14 PM
I understood that a head coach has less involvement in transfers than a manager. He's there to coach the players a DoF brings in, with input obviously, but no overall say on transfer policy.

No manager has overall say on transfers anymore. So yeah, they're just the same thing now.

HoboHarry
14-03-2024, 08:16 PM
I'm starting to think you're not very bright

Oh now, let's be more positive than that, maybe say partially illuminated?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 08:26 PM
I'm starting to fink NM thucked your coupon last night. :greengrin

I'm not a betting man. Thankfully. 😉

WeeRussell
14-03-2024, 09:36 PM

When you post on a public forum criticising the way people speak, spelling ‘too’ properly isn't too much to ask, is it?

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2024, 09:59 PM
My parents would often give me a thick ear for not speaking properly.

In Scotland, it seems to be cool to mis-pronounce things for some reason. Say things correctly and you'll be branded a posh git or similar.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 11:16 PM
It doesn't 'look' valid, it is valid. The things I list are all things he has either done or failed to do. That's not really disputable.

eg If you decide to effectively not properly contest the first half of the game against Ross County last night because of your starting selection, then it's harder to complain about a bad decision biting your arse at the end of the game by which time a different approach might have already had the three points wrapped up.

Maybe he'll come good, but so far an awful lot of what has befallen him has been substantially of his own making.

If what you say is true … then … “if you decide to effectively not properly contest the first half of the game against Ross County last night because of your starting selection,” … then have a half time and talk to your players and change things … and then (as you said) effectively win the match bar a dodgy decision (again) … I would completely dispute what you say … as that simply validates what I say.

HoboHarry
14-03-2024, 11:21 PM
If anyone wants to give themselves a headache they only have to read this thread.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 11:23 PM
When you post on a public forum criticising the way people speak, spelling ‘too’ properly isn't too much to ask, is it?

Very true. No doubt that will be justified in some way as being different somehow, rather than admitting his own example of “laziness” as he himself used as part of his criticism.

cubehindthegoal
14-03-2024, 11:32 PM
If anyone wants to give themselves a headache they only have to read this thread.

I’ve got one now … wish I hadn’t revisited tonight to reply now. I’m beginning to wonder what the point is for any Hibs fan coming on here … the main current points regarding our club … such as the corruption of result-changing decisions match after match now… turn into a battleground ruled mostly by people who align themselves with the status quo of corruption in scottish football, who wait to jump on any other views pro-Hibs and for justice to be considered … I wonder why … it’s not the people running hibsnet, that’s obvious … so … why ?

One Day Soon
15-03-2024, 08:29 AM
If what you say is true … then … “if you decide to effectively not properly contest the first half of the game against Ross County last night because of your starting selection,” … then have a half time and talk to your players and change things … and then (as you said) effectively win the match bar a dodgy decision (again) … I would completely dispute what you say … as that simply validates what I say.

This exchange is getting a bit Pythonesque. Why wait 45 minutes to make the change that was inevitably going to be required? He's really not helping himself at times, fairly frequent times.

One Day Soon
15-03-2024, 08:35 AM
I’ve got one now … wish I hadn’t revisited tonight to reply now. I’m beginning to wonder what the point is for any Hibs fan coming on here … the main current points regarding our club … such as the corruption of result-changing decisions match after match now… turn into a battleground ruled mostly by people who align themselves with the status quo of corruption in scottish football, who wait to jump on any other views pro-Hibs and for justice to be considered … I wonder why … it’s not the people running hibsnet, that’s obvious … so … why ?

You're well out of order with that post. People taking a different view from your own on whether or not Montgomery is up to the job are emphatically not supporting corruption in Scottish football as you seem to be suggesting.

Have you considered the outlandish possibility that two things can be possible at the same time? Perhaps NM isn't up to the job AND there is corruption and incompetence in Scottish football?

And BTW the title of this thread isn't 'Corruption in Scottish football', it's 'Thoughts on the manager'. Not very surprising in that context that people are expressing their thoughts on the manager.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2024, 08:39 AM
We are narrowing it down a lot if we cant appoint a manager who does not speak the Queens English, are players allowed to be thick, because if they are thick they wont be able to understand what they are being told from a thick manager, what do we think of players who say fink instead of think?

Jones28
15-03-2024, 09:10 AM

You're not wrong, but its not exactly an exception to our historic results is it? 4 third place finishes in my lifetime, 3 fourth place finishes and 11 top 6 finishes since it's inception in 2001(?)ish.

I'm not saying it's good, I just don't think we've consistently punched at or above our weight for 50 years.

Smartie
15-03-2024, 09:26 AM
I think I might be doing an about turn on what I think of his interview technique, especially after a bad result.

They seem quite emotional - his feelings slightly hampering his ability to communicate coolly and calmly.

As a player I think that might be preferable to the carefully media managed, distant, dispassionate approach.

I know some find him dull but I don't find him that way at all - I feel like he's there in the trenches with the players and with us - a million miles better than those who might be quietly weighing up an alternative sweetie choice.

easty
15-03-2024, 09:29 AM
I think I might be doing an about turn on what I think of his interview technique, especially after a bad result.

They seem quite emotional - his feelings slightly hampering his ability to communicate coolly and calmly.

As a player I think that might be preferable to the carefully media managed, distant, dispassionate approach.

I know some find him dull but I don't find him that way at all - I feel like he's there in the trenches with the players and with us - a million miles better than those who might be quietly weighing up an alternative sweetie choice.

I couldn’t care less how happy, exciting, smart he comes across in interviews.

I’d take a flat earther who stands in the dug out in a tin foil hat if he was getting us results.

Smartie
15-03-2024, 09:57 AM
I couldn’t care less how happy, exciting, smart he comes across in interviews.

I’d take a flat earther who stands in the dug out in a tin foil hat if he was getting us results.

I’d be inclined to agree, but a few pages worth of debate about how he pronounces his “THs” suggests a few people do.

It’s definitely not something I’m going to use as a stick to beat him with.

I’m struggling to make my mind up on him tbh. Quite a few concerns but the football HAS been a lot better since he got some much needed good players in and he has been swimming against the tide re injuries, suspensions and abominable refereeing decisions.

The football and results over the piece haven’t been good enough but he has mitigating factors +++++++++++.

WhileTheChief..
15-03-2024, 10:36 AM
You're not wrong, but its not exactly an exception to our historic results is it? 4 third place finishes in my lifetime, 3 fourth place finishes and 11 top 6 finishes since it's inception in 2001(?)ish.

I'm not saying it's good, I just don't think we've consistently punched at or above our weight for 50 years.

I think the hope is that we'd do better and improve on our past, but it's not looking that way with NM.

If the club just wanted to bump along like we have done since 2001 then fine, but the BKs have stated they want better for us.

Expectations have risen, fairly or not, and NM needs to deliver.

hibsbollah
15-03-2024, 10:47 AM
He's average.

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2024, 11:11 AM
Must win tomorrow but where have we heard that before?

Really needs to deliver NOW!

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-03-2024, 11:16 AM
Nothing less than 3 points or empty him, no question

bingo70
15-03-2024, 11:17 AM
Are there any of the bigger Australian clubs likely to be looking for a new manager soon? Wonder if it could be a bit of a win/win and we encouraged a club to come in for him in the summer.

When will Auckland be needing their first manager to start? 😉 (yes, I know they’re not Australian before any smart arse says it 😂)

scm70nyd1973
15-03-2024, 11:23 AM
Are there any of the bigger Australian clubs likely to be looking for a new manager soon? Wonder if it could be a bit of a win/win and we encouraged a club to come in for him in the summer.

When will Auckland be needing their first manager to start? 😉 (yes, I know they’re not Australian before any smart arse says it 😂)

They are neither Aussie nor Kiwis - they are JAFAs - or at least that’s what most Kiwis label them as - and I used to be one of them 🫢

cubehindthegoal
15-03-2024, 12:40 PM
You're well out of order with that post. People taking a different view from your own on whether or not Montgomery is up to the job are emphatically not supporting corruption in Scottish football as you seem to be suggesting.

Have you considered the outlandish possibility that two things can be possible at the same time? Perhaps NM isn't up to the job AND there is corruption and incompetence in Scottish football?

And BTW the title of this thread isn't 'Corruption in Scottish football', it's 'Thoughts on the manager'. Not very surprising in that context that people are expressing their thoughts on the manager.

People who say we aren’t higher up the league because of him, and ignore the corrupt decisions we see time after time that are directly the main reason we have many fewer points. The corruption should be seen as directly and clearly related to any thoughts on the manager, rather than simply ignored … and by Hibs fans at that, not other clubs fans … I mean wow … that is what is out of order.

Forza Fred
15-03-2024, 01:02 PM

He’s already started

Alfie’s old boss at Sydney

Since452
15-03-2024, 03:48 PM
People who say we aren’t higher up the league because of him, and ignore the corrupt decisions we see time after time that are directly the main reason we have many fewer points. The corruption should be seen as directly and clearly related to any thoughts on the manager, rather than simply ignored … and by Hibs fans at that, not other clubs fans … I mean wow … that is what is out of order.

We would have finished 3rd if it wasn't for some horrendous/ludicrous VAR calls last season. Should we get LJ back?

bingo70
15-03-2024, 04:49 PM
We would have finished 3rd if it wasn't for some horrendous/ludicrous VAR calls last season. Should we get LJ back?

Managers will always be judged by results in the end, what if’s might buy an extra few weeks but if results don’t improve soon he’ll be replaced and for all the mitigating factors he can point to, he couldn’t have too many complaints. He knows the industry he works in is a ruthless one and it’s a results based business.

If the club wasn’t going through the changes it is behind the scenes he may have been given the benefit of the doubt and allowed longer than a manager would normally get for poor results but with all that’s going on, he’s not going to get the luxury of time.

I’ve not written him off yet though, I don’t think he’ll be here next season regardless as I think the black knights will have other plans but I wouldn’t rule out us beating Livi comfortably tomorrow and having a good end to the season, equally, I wouldn’t rule out us losing tomorrow and him being sacked by Monday.

inglisavhibs
15-03-2024, 06:25 PM
Managers will always be judged by results in the end, what if’s might buy an extra few weeks but if results don’t improve soon he’ll be replaced and for all the mitigating factors he can point to, he couldn’t have too many complaints. He knows the industry he works in is a ruthless one and it’s a results based business.

If the club wasn’t going through the changes it is behind the scenes he may have been given the benefit of the doubt and allowed longer than a manager would normally get for poor results but with all that’s going on, he’s not going to get the luxury of time.

I’ve not written him off yet though, I don’t think he’ll be here next season regardless as I think the black knights will have other plans but I wouldn’t rule out us beating Livi comfortably tomorrow and having a good end to the season, equally, I wouldn’t rule out us losing tomorrow and him being sacked by Monday.
Beating Livingston easily? Celtic, a much better team than us struggled against them in the cup last week. Add to that we have played Rangers on Sunday evening and Ross County on Wednesday. Fatigue could well play a part as the game wares on. I would be delighted with any win which would extend out unbeaten league run to six games.

Zazu62
15-03-2024, 06:43 PM
Does anyone just sit and wonder why they come on this site every day?

J-C
15-03-2024, 06:44 PM

Bridge hibs
15-03-2024, 06:54 PM

Nope, theres a lot of good, a lot **** and a lot of total radgeness, whats not to like ? Would be a quieter place if there werent differing opinions

hibeerealist
15-03-2024, 06:56 PM

We haven't done so once under Monty and that is the concern.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2024, 07:06 PM
Has he won any big games yet?

Zazu62
15-03-2024, 07:54 PM
Nope, theres a lot of good, a lot **** and a lot of total radgeness, whats not to like ? Would be a quieter place if there werent differing opinions

There is a lot of good definitely, but it’s been a tough season. Hopefully big changes in the summer.

Unseen work
15-03-2024, 08:02 PM

The issue is big games are classed as them beforehand, and then if we win people forget they’re a big game.

Unless it’s old firm or hearts.

Bridge hibs
15-03-2024, 08:17 PM
There is a lot of good definitely, but it’s been a tough season. Hopefully big changes in the summer.

Hopefully mate 👍

Jones28
15-03-2024, 08:27 PM

I know I come on because everyone would be lost without my insight.

Jones28
15-03-2024, 08:32 PM
I think the hope is that we'd do better and improve on our past, but it's not looking that way with NM.

If the club just wanted to bump along like we have done since 2001 then fine, but the BKs have stated they want better for us.

Expectations have risen, fairly or not, and NM needs to deliver.

Yepp agree with this, they won’t tolerate mediocrity for long.

HoboHarry
15-03-2024, 08:49 PM

I come on because both of my kids are adults now and I sometimes miss having squabbling children in the house calling each other names and trying to yell louder than the other.

Cabbage-Patch
15-03-2024, 10:44 PM
Anything less than 3 points tomorrow then he should be sacked. Simple as that. At home to the worst side in the league who are all but already relegated. I would go as far to say even a win isn't enough but it needs to be convinced also.

cubehindthegoal
15-03-2024, 11:38 PM

Right then. So we focus on that .. the real problem .. the dodgy decisions .. might not matter too much then who manages us, if we get a fair crack of the whip, if what you say is true.

One Day Soon
16-03-2024, 12:11 AM

That's literally not what most people critical of NM are saying but as you seem to have smashed the radio set so that you are stuck on transmit with no receive there's clearly little point discussing it any further with you.

JimBHibees
16-03-2024, 06:49 AM

The recent Derby but wasn't allowed to win it. :greengrin

Nicho87
16-03-2024, 07:05 AM
I appreciate he has mixed it up recently

He has changed formation
I also think we go direct a bit more during a game now

However

We still don’t win enough football matches.

His coaching has been in place long enough to coach this.

Concerned.

hibbydog
16-03-2024, 07:14 AM
Plenty of reasons to be concerned.

But if we change manager, that’ll be 15 managers in 20 years. The sad fact is we are an underachieving basket case of a club who have made a lot of bad decisions.

So it is high time we backed a manager and gave him time to make mistakes, learn his job, make the squad his own and grow into the job. That’ll take a couple of years.

My old man
16-03-2024, 07:48 AM

But if we change manager, that’ll be 15 managers in 20 years. The sad fact is we are an underachieving basket case of a club who have made a lot of bad decisions.

So it is high time we backed a manager and gave him time to make mistakes, learn his job, make the squad his own and grow into the job. That’ll take a couple of years.

💯%
We need to back NM as I honestly think if he gets his own players in (as seen already) we will play very exciting football
Be interesting to see how he tackles the defensive situation

GG2TH

WhileTheChief..
16-03-2024, 08:19 AM

You would let him learn his trade with us?

Why not hire an actual manager in the first place that is already time served and has learnt from previous mistakes at the smaller clubs he worked for.

The Hibs job is huge (in Scottish football). It should be treated as such, and never be a plaything for a rookie or wannabe manager.

Crunchie
16-03-2024, 08:22 AM

Why not hire an actual manager in the first place that is already time served and has learnt from previous mistakes at the smaller clubs he worked for.

The Hibs job is huge (in Scottish football). It should be treated as such, and never be a plaything for a rookie or wannabe manager.
It didn't matter who we hired the first bad run you'd get the usual suspects calling for his head.

Weir07
16-03-2024, 08:27 AM

Spot on! Who's to say he will actually learn from his mistakes and become the manager a top 5 team deserves. He did take long enough to make formation changes that were obvious, Marcondes up front was another obvious error that people were calling out before kick off. I'm honestly torn whether we should persist or not, the past evidence suggest not but constant churn of managers is becoming an embarrassment and you just don't know if he'll turn a corner, not sure if those are reasons to keep him in post though.

bingo70
16-03-2024, 08:34 AM

I agree to an extent. The only thing I would say is though, the idea managers now will get years just because ‘they need time’ is fantasy land stuff, it’s just not realistic in modern football. Any succesful manager now needs to find a balance between an element of short term success combined with long term progress.

In terms of the club being a basket case of a club who have made a lot of bad decisions, the decision making process and the people making the decisions has just changed massively recently. Big change is coming this summer I think, if we stick with NM it needs to be for the right reasons.

easty
16-03-2024, 08:58 AM
Keeping him because “we go through too many managers” is by the far the worst reason to keep him I’ve read.

I disagree when people say he’s improving us, but that’s a matter of opinion, and everyone’s entitled to theirs.

Keeping him because we’ve already had 15 managers in 20 years. It’s laughable. Complete nonsense.

Donegal Hibby
16-03-2024, 10:12 AM
Keeping him because “we go through too many managers” is by the far the worst reason to keep him I’ve read.

I disagree when people say he’s improving us, but that’s a matter of opinion, and everyone’s entitled to theirs.

Keeping him because we’ve already had 15 managers in 20 years. It’s laughable. Complete nonsense.

The fact of the matter is we have went through too many managers and the club badly needs some stability.

Our current manager hasn't been at us even a year yet and only had one transfer window ( hardest) and not had a pre-season either .

Some folk are/were wanting McInnes to be manager who needed longer than 6 months at Killie to improve them
(most managers will ) .Imo it's laughable and complete nonsense to be talking about sacking our manager before we have given him every chance to succeed.

Since the St Mirren game now that the January signings have settled in there has been a noticeable improvement in both performances and results imo .

Big game today which should be our main priority anyhow.

Unseen work
16-03-2024, 10:17 AM

Completely agree.

Difference of opinion is fine and can have a good debate about it, but just to keep someone in a job based on the last 20 years managerial changes is nonsense.