PDA

View Full Version : Season over. Empty him now.

Pages : [1] 2

AL-Qaholik
13-03-2024, 09:01 PM
Absolute imposter.

Get shot now and give someone (hopefully) competent the rest of the season to work out which 3 of these players are good enough to keep next season.

Having said that, my confidence in anybody currently at the club finding a remotely competent replacement is as low as it’s ever been.

We’re a joke.

Since452
13-03-2024, 09:03 PM
I think we're stuck with Montgomery for the foreseeable so just need to go with it and see what happens.

hibbydad
Absolute imposter.

Get shot now and give someone (hopefully) competent the rest of the season to work out which 3 of these players are good to keep next season.

Having said that, my confidence in anybody currently at the club finding a remotely competent replacement is as low as it’s ever been.

We’re a joke.
You are so right he is totally out of his depth

Cocaine&Caviar
Absolute imposter.

Get shot now and give someone (hopefully) competent the rest of the season to work out which 3 of these players are good to keep next season.

We’re a joke.

Bed time i think...

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Absolute imposter.

We’re a joke.

Out of his depth, seems to think he's pep with some of his systems, more Mike Bassett.:rolleyes:

Jones28
13-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Christ

LaMotta
13-03-2024, 09:05 PM
Leaving Youan on the pitch tonight once we go ahead is absolutely criminal.

HH81
13-03-2024, 09:06 PM
He was going nuts on pitch at end. He probably knows he's in trouble.

ruthven_raiders
13-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Christ

Think I'll not look at Hibs net till Saturday, another game and see if we can beat Livingston, now if we can't win that game I might get upset 😭

B.H.F.C
13-03-2024, 09:10 PM
I’m no quite sure about the season being over.

Northernhibee
13-03-2024, 09:11 PM

Of course it’s not.

allmodcons
13-03-2024, 09:12 PM
Absolute imposter.

Get shot now and give someone (hopefully) competent the rest of the season to work out which 3 of these players are good enough to keep next season.

We’re a joke.

I agree with this.

Tonight it took him 45 minutes to see his system wasn’t working when it was clear after 20 minutes we were terrible in that set up.

He’s eventually realised a proper striker might help and we are good for 35 minutes.

After that we just get deeper and deeper when there’s no real need and inevitably we lose a late goal to a poor side.

His record is crap and he doesn’t have clue as to how to set up a team.

His post match interview will be all about Ross County being big strong and difficult to beat.

He’s hopeless.

AL-Qaholik
13-03-2024, 09:12 PM

Out the cup and desperately scrabbling to finish sixth.
An abject failure.

HibbyAndy
13-03-2024, 09:14 PM
Yeah i'd bin him

Hiber-nation
13-03-2024, 09:14 PM
Absolute imposter.

We’re a joke.

I'm no Monty fan but tell me how the season is over? We beat Livi, Dundee lose to the huns and we're 6th.

AL-Qaholik
13-03-2024, 09:16 PM
I'm no Monty fan but tell me how the season is over? We beat Livi, Dundee lose to the huns and we're 6th.

6th is a total failure.

4th is gone and we’re out the cup.

hibbydad
13-03-2024, 09:16 PM
Yeah i'd bin him
Totally

allmodcons
13-03-2024, 09:17 PM
If our ambition is a top 6 finish then our season is over.

DaveF
13-03-2024, 09:18 PM

True but then we have the Huns to play, so almost a certain 0 points there and every chance Dundee climb back above is again.

buktapurple79
13-03-2024, 09:18 PM
GTF you fraud. Get a proper manager to match the infrastructure and new funding stream.

andrew_dundee
13-03-2024, 09:20 PM
I think he's done a decent job at improving our midfield, I'd like to see him have the time to do the same to our defence.

If he gets top 6 I would say he should stay, but if not then it's time for him to go.

We really shouldn't be dropping points 2-1 up after 96 mins.

He was unfortunate with injuries and international duty and too many players who needed to go, but even putting those things to one side we have still dropped far too many avoidable points all season.

One Day Soon
13-03-2024, 09:41 PM

6th you say? The dizzying heights, I'll need a sit down.

Is It On....
13-03-2024, 09:42 PM
Out of his depth, seems to think he's pep with some of his systems, more Mike Bassett.:rolleyes:

Mike Bassett 😂 Get him in now !!

Hiber-nation
6th you say? The dizzying heights, I'll need a sit down.

Pish aye but not season over although we shall see what Saturday brings.

Northernhibee
I think he's done a decent job at improving our midfield, I'd like to see him have the time to do the same to our defence.

If he gets top 6 I would say he should stay, but if not then it's time for him to go.

He was unfortunate with injuries and international duty and too many players who needed to go, but even putting those things to one side we have still dropped far too many avoidable points all season.

Agreed, nice to see a balanced post.

AL-Qaholik
13-03-2024, 09:44 PM

He hasn’t improved the midfield - the Bournemouth link has.
His contribution has been deciding to play Emiliano up front and completely nullify our best player.
He’s clueless.

big gogs
13-03-2024, 09:46 PM
GTF you fraud. Get a proper manager to match the infrastructure and new funding stream.
Name the man you want.its not Neil Lennon is it.

Callum_62
13-03-2024, 09:46 PM
True but then we have the Huns to play, so almost a certain 0 points there and every chance Dundee climb back above is again.There's still 4 games to the split

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hibeerealist
13-03-2024, 09:49 PM
Yes the season most definitely is over

Centre Hawf
13-03-2024, 09:51 PM
The season isn't over, and for that reason I probably wouldn't get rid quite yet. That said I'm not overly enthusiastic about the prospect of him staying for the summer and into next season at this rate either so maybe pulling the trigger would be the better option.

There had been an improvement in our performances to an extent over the last month or so but his starting XI tonight was just baffling, once again for me just proving that the guys either an idiot or naive. Neither are particularly great traits to have at this club at this point in time.

hibeerealist
13-03-2024, 09:57 PM
The season isn't over, and for that reason I probably wouldn't get rid quite yet. That said I'm not overly enthusiastic about the prospect of him staying for the summer and into next season at this rate either so maybe pulling the trigger would be the better option.

There had been an improvement in our performances to an extent over the last month or so but his starting XI tonight was just baffling, once again for me just proving that the guys either an idiot or naive. Neither are particularly great traits to have at this club at this point in time.

The season IS over.

You think we can get a Euro spot?

We certainly cant win anything, so pray tell me what's left in this season for our long suffering support?

We can only pray the the BK's put somebody to us who can manage

ChuckNor
13-03-2024, 09:58 PM
Genuinely can’t think of a season where we have conceded so many important goals in the last minute. Beyond a joke this season. It has to come down to poor management.

Centre Hawf
13-03-2024, 10:13 PM
The season IS over.

We certainly cant win anything, so pray tell me what's left in this season for our long suffering support?

Do I think it's likely? No not really. But we're 6 points off 5th which unless something has changed gets us Conference League as long as Aberdeen don't win the cup. So it's entirely possible we can make up 6 points on Killie and 7 on St Mirren considering we'd have to play them both in a top 6 scenario.

But right now the main focus is, and has been since the January window, finishing in that top 6 and seeing whatever we can do after that. Tonight's result doesn't really change that for me. Even if my confidence in the manager has taken another dunt.

Gloucester Hibs
13-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Season’s not over but going to take something special just to match last season’s final league position - bleak.

Real Emerald
13-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Buy get your ST early or you’ll lose your seat. What an actual joke that is.

CMac1988
13-03-2024, 10:29 PM
The season IS over.

I scanned your post quicky and read that as Ben Kensall at first! Another failed manager on his watch and he'd be the next **** out the door.

Can't see Black Knights wanting to invest in players at the club only to have Montgomery manage them. His decision making time and time again throughout the season has been more than questionable. Crap team selection, crap formation, crap subs. Tactically naive and instills no confidence that he can improve things without us having a budget and squad that's magnitudes better to plaster over his poor management.

Hibs1992
13-03-2024, 10:37 PM
He has been given a greatly improved squad since January and still can’t string a few consecutive wins together. Don’t see any evidence he is the man to take us forward next season with the new investment.

Starting Emiliano up front again was baffling and taking 45 mins to correct it. He then gave up all control of the game by bringing Hanlon on for Emiliano. If you’re just trying to see out the game why leave Youan on when time and time again he costs us goals with his disinterest in defending!

Callum_62
13-03-2024, 10:38 PM
He has been given a greatly improved squad since January and still can’t string a few consecutive wins together. Don’t see any evidence he is the man to take us forward next season with the new investment.

Starting Emiliano up front again was baffling and taking 45 mins to correct it. He then gave up all control of the game by bringing Hanlon on for Emiliano. If you’re just trying to see out the game why leave Youan on when time and time again he costs us goals with his disinterest in defending!I wouldn't blame him for taking off Emi

He was pretty garbage, looked knackered and was just kicking the ball anywhere

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

alexedwards
13-03-2024, 10:57 PM

6th? So what?

NC1875
13-03-2024, 11:00 PM
6th? So what?

Exactly, anything less than 4th is sackable with the money we’ve spent.

People seeing 6th as an achievement 😂😂

Donegal Hibby
13-03-2024, 11:02 PM
6th? So what?

Is that not better than 7th ?

Ozyhibby
13-03-2024, 11:10 PM
Season isn’t over but I think he needs to go if we are to salvage anything from it. The players he has been given should be getting much better results than he is achieving with them. I can’t see him improving at all. I suspect any half decent interim manager would achieve a higher finish between now and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CathroMustStay
13-03-2024, 11:39 PM
If it was up to me I'd let Monty go at the end of the season, short of him going on a Steve-Clarke-at-Killie style run of results.

But I reckon all it'll take for him to be in charge come August is a top 6 finish, even 6th place behind Killie and St Mirren.

Baldy Foghorn
14-03-2024, 12:47 AM
Unless I'm dreaming, we have 9 games left, 4 pre split and 5 after, so season still in full swing, lots to play for still

Phil MaGlass
14-03-2024, 07:09 AM
If it was up to me I'd let Monty go at the end of the season, short of him going on a Steve-Clarke-at-Killie style run of results.

But I reckon all it'll take for him to be in charge come August is a top 6 finish, even 6th place behind Killie and St Mirren.
He wont be here next season

Northernhibee
14-03-2024, 07:11 AM
Unless I'm dreaming, we have 9 games left, 4 pre split and 5 after, so season still in full swing, lots to play for still

Yep. We’ve also just been cheated out of four points through awful refereeing within the last week alone, it could easily have been twelve from twelve.

I realise some want someone who rants and raves like Lennon after games but the almighty overreaction every time we as much as drop a point, irrelevant of circumstance, is pathetic.

ruthven_raiders
14-03-2024, 07:15 AM
6th? So what?

Then next two games are winnable, then post split will be interesting, if we don't win those games then quite rightly the powers that be will be looking at his performance to evaluate if he should be given next season. The post split fixtures would be tough to make any in roads if we don't win those games....

Diclonius
14-03-2024, 07:24 AM
He has four games to save his job and changing the manager this late will do nothing. Nice to see yous all back, by the way.

Pagan Hibernia
14-03-2024, 07:26 AM
This place is its usual rational self after a disappointing result I see.

We've been absolutely robbed of at least 7 points over 4 different league games in the last few weeks ffs. Had we got the wins against County, Hearts and Aberdeen that we would have had with proper refereeing, plus at least a draw against celtic things would be looking very different indeed.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 07:53 AM
He has four games to save his job and changing the manager this late will do nothing. Nice to see yous all back, by the way.

I've missed them. :cb

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:02 AM

We've been absolutely robbed of at least 7 points over 4 different league games in the last few weeks ffs. Had we got the wins against County, Hearts and Aberdeen that we would have had with proper refereeing, plus at least a draw against celtic things would be looking very different indeed.

Rational?

Montgomery has only won 28% of his games. You make it sound like disappointing results are a rarity when in fact they make up the majority of his time here.

green day
14-03-2024, 08:05 AM
I know what you are saying, but.....if we don't achieve top 6, we already have enough points not to be concerned about a playoff etc so the season will just peter out.

In that context, there are 4 very important matches to come.

Heisenberg
14-03-2024, 08:07 AM
He’s got to finish at least 5th to have any chance of keeping his job. Even if he does finish 5th if we don’t start next season in good form, like LJ, he’ll be out the door and it starts all over again. I’m leaning towards punting him in the summer and letting the Black Knights help with the next appointment.

He's here!
14-03-2024, 08:12 AM
Out the cup and desperately scrabbling to finish sixth.
An abject failure.

Yep, losing to Rangers in the cup is abject failure right enough.

Personally I retain an inkling we're on the right road with Montgomery. The St Mirren debacle had the feel of a game many managers don't come back from but I've been impressed by the way he and the team have responded since then and I think he has an eye for a player judging by the January recruits.

We've been too quick to fire the trigger in the past (Jack Ross) and I think we need to be patient here. Sure, we should have won last night but I don't think we're far away from being a decent side.

scuttle
14-03-2024, 08:12 AM
Have to agree that defensively we've not been good enough, but Referees have cost us two points in each our last 3 away games and probably a point against Celtic. It's not all Montys fault

He's here!
14-03-2024, 08:14 AM

The nosedive in form at the end of last year didn't help but yes, we've been on the wrong end of a lot of poor decisions, including last night.

Diclonius
14-03-2024, 08:15 AM
The red line for any Hibs manager now has to be "top six or you're out". I'm more than content to see things play out; wouldn't surprise me to see him emptied if and when top six is no longer possible.

Once the Foley money comes in it'll likely be "top four or you're out".

Since90+2
14-03-2024, 08:22 AM
To be fair he's been absolutely done by refereeing decisions.

We could, and probably should, have another 9 points and be sitting comfortably in the top 6.

Pagan Hibernia
14-03-2024, 08:23 AM
Rational?

Montgomery has only won 28% of his games. You make it sound like disappointing results are a rarity when in fact they make up the majority of his time here.

If you ignore context and look only at results then sure. The results have been crap.

The fly in the ointment of that argument is that since the St mirren debacle (and I'd happily have seen him emptied after that) we have been pretty good and if we'd won all 6 games since then we'd have deserved it.
Our defence is still a problem of course, but when we're continually shafted with decisions in what feels like every single game now then I don't feel the cold hard statistics of results can be the only barometer of how we and the manager are doing.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:24 AM
The red line for any Hibs manager now has to be "top six or you're out". I'm more than content to see things play out; wouldn't surprise me to see him emptied if and when top six is no longer possible.

Once the Foley money comes in it'll likely be "top four or you're out".

I don’t think he’ll be sacked during this season but I don’t think he’ll be here next season.

No point bringing someone in to start their reign with a few meaningless games at the end of a season and potentially getting off to a bad start. NM will get until the top 6, if he’s bottom 6 then we’ll be working behind the scenes on the next man, if it’s top 6 then I’d suspect we’ll still be doing the same, but with an eye on keeping him if we get 4th.

erin go bragh
14-03-2024, 08:29 AM
To be fair he's been absolutely done by refereeing decisions.

We could, and probably should, have another 9 points and be sitting comfortably in the top 6.
We would be sitting 4th had we not been shafted by VAR/ referees.

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 08:32 AM
His contribution has been deciding to play Emiliano up front and completely nullify our best player.
He’s clueless.

Does that mean we can also absolve Monty responsibility for not fixing the defence and blame the Bournemouth link for our defensive faults?

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:37 AM
If you ignore context and look only at results then sure. The results have been crap.

The fly in the ointment of that argument is that since the St mirren debacle (and I'd happily have seen him emptied after that) we have been pretty good and if we'd won all 6 games since then we'd have deserved it.
Our defence is still a problem of course, but when we're continually shafted with decisions in what feels like every single game now then I don't feel the cold hard statistics of results can be the only barometer of how we and the manager are doing.

You’ve chosen a 6 game snapshot of his 30 game tenure. 2 of those games have been won, so there’s 4 games in there. 1 of them was against Celtic where we got beat and arguably should have drawn, so we’re now down to 3 games we maybe should have won. It’s hardly like it hugely skews the overall point, he still wouldn’t be winning nearly enough games.

I’m fed up of ‘context’ to be honest. Jack Ross was abysmal towards the end of his reign. Folk claimed it wasn’t his fault because he wasn’t backed. Shaun Maloney came in and was crap. It wasn’t his fault as he wasn’t backed. LJ came in and had to deal with injuries, so it wasn’t his fault. NM has come in and had bad decisions, so it’s not his fault.

If the results aren’t good enough, then the results aren’t good enough. Get someone in who can win games, even if other teams steal some yards at a throw in.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:37 AM
Does that mean we can also absolve Monty responsibility for not fixing the defence and blame the Bournemouth link for our defensive faults?

The defence has been ‘bolstered’ by a guy NM has worked with previously. He now chooses to play that guy in midfield instead. It’s a fairly safe assumption that NM played a large part in him coming in.

Kato
14-03-2024, 08:39 AM

We've been absolutely robbed of at least 7 points over 4 different league games in the last few weeks ffs. Had we got the wins against County, Hearts and Aberdeen that we would have had with proper refereeing, plus at least a draw against celtic things would be looking very different indeed.I honestly think some people are so used to it they're just not taking it into account.

Referee mistakes are normal. VAR interpretations can be weird. This amount of both in such a short time is not normal.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Shrekko
14-03-2024, 08:47 AM

Starting Emiliano up front again was baffling and taking 45 mins to correct it. He then gave up all control of the game by bringing Hanlon on for Emiliano. If you’re just trying to see out the game why leave Youan on when time and time again he costs us goals with his disinterest in defending!

Emiliano was passing the ball to Ross County players all night. Cannae see why we missed that so much. He's also been woeful 3 games on the trot.

It's getting like the posts we used to see about Scott Allan not getting a game in his last season.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2024, 08:49 AM
I honestly think some people are so used to it they're just not taking it into account.

Referee mistakes are normal. VAR interpretations can be weird. This amount of both in such a short time is not normal.

It was a throw in given the wrong way. An organised well prepared team can deal with that. We are not that under Montgomery. He has to go.

Hiber-nation
14-03-2024, 09:04 AM
Emiliano was passing the ball to Ross County players all night. Cannae see why we missed that so much. He's also been woeful 3 games on the trot.

It's getting like the posts we used to see about Scott Allan not getting a game in his last season.

Spot on, for all the good stuff particularly at tynie he's been poor in most games. And Maolida, goal aside, was even worse last night.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 09:06 AM
It was a throw in given the wrong way. An organised well prepared team can deal with that. We are not that under Montgomery. He has to go.

I don't agree with that at all. How can a team who sees the ball going out off the opposing player and expect the throw in to them suddenly be able to deal with a throw being taken in the wrong place for the opposition?

Are we to play as though every decision goes against us until it doesn't?

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 09:09 AM
I don't agree with that at all. How can a team who sees the ball going out off the opposing player and expect the throw in to them suddenly be able to deal with a throw being taken in the wrong place for the opposition?

Are we to play as though every decision goes against us until it doesn't?

You could flip that round though and say how can a team who watched the ball go out off their own player manage to create a goal scoring opportunity so quickly but we can’t manage to defend it.

When it comes to the 98th minute of a game that you’re winning by a goal, I’d suggest the second it became clear RC were chancing their arm at getting the throw in that we absolutely should have been playing as if the decision had went against us. Yes, it was our throw in, but we completely failed to react. They done the opposite and scored.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Yep. We’ve also just been cheated out of four points through awful refereeing within the last week alone, it could easily have been twelve from twelve.

I realise some want someone who rants and raves like Lennon after games but the almighty overreaction every time we as much as drop a point, irrelevant of circumstance, is pathetic.

Are you serious? I think a number of us want a manager who can set us up properly before the game starts or, failing that, quickly make adjustments based upon what we all see with our own eyes once a game has started.

I think we'd like someone who, in parallel with the material improvement in players at his disposal, can achieve a material improvement in results.

I think we'd also like someone who, having signed his first pick to improve our central defence, managed to actually improve our central defence with the player he has specifically signed to do so.

And finally I think we'd like someone who, despite all the hard luck stories in the world (it's the injuries, it's the refs, it's international duty, the system will come right eventually), would start to bank some form and some results that look like we are improving as a team and a squad.

So, this is not "almighty overreaction every time we as much as drop a point", it's an appropriate reaction given that this is now a pretty settled pattern of underachievement, inconsistency and very poor managerial decisions.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Are you serious? I think a number of us want a manager who can set us up properly before the game starts or, failing that, quickly make adjustments based upon what we all see with our own eyes once a game has started.

I think we'd like someone who, in parallel with the material improvement in players at his disposal, can achieve a material improvement in results.

I think we'd also like someone who, having signed his first pick to improve our central defence, managed to actually improve our central defence with the player he has specifically signed to do so.

And finally I think we'd like someone who, despite all the hard luck stories in the world (it's the injuries, it's the refs, it's international duty, the system will come right eventually), would start to bank some form and some results that look like we are improving as a team and a squad.

So, this is not "almighty overreaction every time we as much as drop a point", it's an appropriate reaction given that this is now a pretty settled pattern of underachievement, inconsistency and very poor managerial decisions.

:agree:

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 09:16 AM

That's very firmly in the 'If my Auntie had baws...' category though.

We could also have been sitting 4th if we hadn't been so monumentally crap in many, many games throughout the season where (insert reason that isn't Nick Montgomery here) hadn't done us in.

Kato
14-03-2024, 09:20 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot trying to discuss it with people who made up their minds ages ago.

But. It was a throw in given the wrong way then taken 15 yards upfield within seconds. VAR should have intervened as there is a glaring error leading up to a goal.

Do you think NM is to blame for evey ref error against us recently which has cost us points.

Jones28
14-03-2024, 09:27 AM
You could flip that round though and say how can a team who watched the ball go out off their own player manage to create a goal scoring opportunity so quickly but we can’t manage to defend it.

When it comes to the 98th minute of a game that you’re winning by a goal, I’d suggest the second it became clear RC were chancing their arm at getting the throw in that we absolutely should have been playing as if the decision had went against us. Yes, it was our throw in, but we completely failed to react. They done the opposite and scored.

I don't disagree, it still needs defending.

I also think it was human beings who have been playing football for nearly 100 minutes, bodies and minds are tired and you see the ball go out for a throw and think "yes, thats got to be it", and in the split second things change.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 09:31 AM

7 points this last while we've lost because of VAR / referees .

He's here!
14-03-2024, 09:32 AM
You’ve chosen a 6 game snapshot of his 30 game tenure. 2 of those games have been won, so there’s 4 games in there. 1 of them was against Celtic where we got beat and arguably should have drawn, so we’re now down to 3 games we maybe should have won. It’s hardly like it hugely skews the overall point, he still wouldn’t be winning nearly enough games.

I’m fed up of ‘context’ to be honest. Jack Ross was abysmal towards the end of his reign. Folk claimed it wasn’t his fault because he wasn’t backed. Shaun Maloney came in and was crap. It wasn’t his fault as he wasn’t backed. LJ came in and had to deal with injuries, so it wasn’t his fault. NM has come in and had bad decisions, so it’s not his fault.

If the results aren’t good enough, then the results aren’t good enough. Get someone in who can win games, even if other teams steal some yards at a throw in.

I know plenty managers have been sacked after fewer games than that but it's crazy how little time they get these days to implement a structure/way of playing. Given how mediocre we've been for several years now it's unrealistic to expect a new manager to come in and immediately hit the ground running (especially when you're working with someone else's squad for the first few months). You have to imagine Monty came here with a long-term plan, bearing in mind he was prepared to move halfway round the globe and uproot his family to take the job. On recent evidence I think he deserves more time to get where he wants to go with Hibs.

Mike Berry
14-03-2024, 09:37 AM
I'm not quite sure what happens if Montgomery goes. I don't see what the board have been trying to do over the past few years. Looking around at Hearts, Dundee, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, I don't quite understand why, with the resources we have, we've been so (mostly) ***** the past 4 years. I think Montgomery has made mistakes, but that doesn't mean he's the wrong guy for the job. For the most part this still isn't his squad. Arguably he shouldn't have tried to overhaul the squad mid-season, but I can see why he'd think it was necessary. Then again, he's back to tinkering with his set ups, which annoys me.

All that said, his coat will be on a shaky peg. Foley/Black Knight will be watching closely and won't trust him with the summer transfer budget unless he has an astoundingly good run in after this.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
14-03-2024, 09:41 AM
I'm not quite sure what happens if Montgomery goes. I don't see what the board have been trying to do over the past few years. Looking around at Hearts, Dundee, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, I don't quite understand why, with the resources we have, we've been so (mostly) ***** the past 4 years. I think Montgomery has made mistakes, but that doesn't mean he's the wrong guy for the job. For the most part this still isn't his squad. Arguably he shouldn't have tried to overhaul the squad mid-season, but I can see why he'd think it was necessary. Then again, he's back to tinkering with his set ups, which annoys me.

All that said, his coat will be on a shaky peg. Foley/Black Knight will be watching closely and won't trust him with the summer transfer budget unless he has an astoundingly good run in after this.

Taking long shot punts is about the long and short of it.

GreenCastle
14-03-2024, 09:49 AM
The standard of reffing has been awful but we are currently…

20 points behind Hearts..
7 points behind St Mirren..
6 points behind Killie
1 point behind Dundee

3 points ahead of Motherwell.

We really struggle to win 2 league games in a row.

In the next 4 games Rangers away we will lose - but all 3 other games are winnable but tonight.. Livi fighting to stay up..Levein and saints..and Motherwell who have been in good form and trying to make top 6.

If we don’t make top 6 it’s a shambles. 4th is possible but the draw last night means we need to basically win Livi - Saints and Motherwell at least plus win some games in top 6 split if we make it.

If the inconsistency continues we could easily be bottom 6 or finish 6 which again is seriously under achieving.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 09:52 AM
Taking long shot punts is about the long and short of it.

Correct, dressed up as Moneyball.

But it's been more like roulette, and they keep betting on 00 green thinking they're very, very clever boys. Narrator's voice: They're not.

Mike Berry
14-03-2024, 09:54 AM

But it's been more like roulette, and they keep betting on 00 green thinking they're very, very clever boys. Narrator's voice: They're not.Certainly looks that way.

GloryGlory
14-03-2024, 09:57 AM
If we'd been given a fair shake by referees I feel Hibs would be 7-8 points, at least, better off. Would this thread be here if that were the case?

He's here!
14-03-2024, 09:59 AM

Without a significant revamp we were looking in danger of a relegation battle. He's signed well IMHO and while some of the players are only here short-term I think he had a clear idea of who he wanted, unlike some previous transfer windows where we've seemed almost to bring in players for the sake of it and who have had next to no impact.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 09:59 AM

But it's been more like roulette, and they keep betting on 00 green thinking they're very, very clever boys. Narrator's voice: They're not.

Brace yourself, I think this is only going to get worse going forward - Soccerball Franchise FC.

I think the days of us trying to assemble a solid Scottish spine, who know exactly what it takes to compete in this country, are gone -, as we scour the far corners of the globe looking for the next superstar.

Read recently that we’re aiming to reduce our squad average age - for me, that’s one of our biggest issues. The age profile / inexperience of our defence in particular is a massive reason for our struggles this season.

Cocaine&Caviar
14-03-2024, 10:02 AM
6th is a total failure.

4th is gone and we’re out the cup.

6th is not total failure.

MrRobot
14-03-2024, 10:04 AM

It is poor imo but agree it’s not total failure given that we have to bin a manager 3 games into the season and the new manager had to work with players that weren’t his for months.

You can see we are building a team now and we are playing far better. Last night is a sore one to take, but take these dodgy decisions that seem to be going against us away and we are probably sitting 4th and the manager is getting praise.

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2024, 10:06 AM
Brace yourself, I think this is only going to get worse going forward - Soccerball Franchise FC.

I think the days of us trying to assemble a solid Scottish spine, who know exactly what it takes to compete in this country, are gone -, as we scour the far corners of the globe looking for the next superstar.

Read recently that we’re aiming to reduce our squad average age - for me, that’s one of our biggest issues. The age profile / inexperience of our defence in particular is a massive reason for our struggles this season.

Ah the old solid Scottish Spine. What a load of xenophobic rubbish. Here is the top 3 and their Scottish spines in their last outing.

1st Rangers - Butland, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Diomande, Dessers. One Scot.
2nd Celtic - Hart, Welsh, Scales, Iwata, Idah. One Scot.
3rd Hearts - Gordon, Rowles, Sibbick, Devlin, Baningime, Grant, Shankland. Two Scots.

Out of 18 players from back to front in the "spine" there were 4 scots.

We need better players, it doesn't matter where they're from.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 10:14 AM
Ah the old solid Scottish Spine. What a load of xenophobic rubbish. Here is the top 3 and their Scottish spines in their last outing.

1st Rangers - Butland, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Diomande, Dessers. One Scot.
3rd Hearts - Gordon, Rowles, Sibbick, Devlin, Baningime, Grant, Shankland. Two Scots.

The Old Firm are an anomaly in this league, irrelevant to the debate.

The best Hibs sides have always had a good core of Scottish players.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, and a big part of the reason that they find themselves sealing 3rd in Feb and into another Scottish Cup semi.

We’ve been dicking about for years trying to be too clever, similar to Aberdeen in that regard actually. Both with managerial appointments and player recruitment.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 10:16 AM

Correct, he may still be rusty after a long spell out but I definitely wouldn't be bursting my budget on him. Needs to be way more dominant and effective for the money folk are talking about. Also he's not getting any younger so won't get any more mobile and the one thing the SPL requires if midfielders is high energy and mobility. No-one gets to stroll around, doesn't matter what skill level you have. I would add Maolida to this. More Moriah-Welsh types, less show ponies please.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 10:20 AM

Agree, age and nationality mean nothing. It's all about ability and desire. Look how much we missed Moriah-Welsh last night. Young laddie that's only played for Newport County. He's put most of our team to shame with his desire and work rate and skill.

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2024, 10:31 AM
The Old Firm are an anomaly in this league, irrelevant to the debate.

The best Hibs sides have always had a good core of Scottish players.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, and a big part of the reason that they find themselves sealing 3rd in Feb and into another Scottish Cup semi.

We’ve been dicking about for years trying to be too clever, similar to Aberdeen in that regard actually. Both with managerial appointments and player recruitment.

The Old Firm are an anomaly because they are winning with better players nothing to do with nationality.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, great. So it's quality of player then you agree? Nothing to do with a Scottish spine. This is on the same level as Neil Lennon being a born winner.

Here's St Mirren "Scottish Spine" btw;

Hemming
Gogic
Kwon
Boyd-Munce
Mandron

Do you see the pattern?

ozwoody
14-03-2024, 10:34 AM
I think if we fail to make top 6 NM will be gone.
Crowds will evaporate and there will be a toxic atmosphere where the fans will turn on him.
Even if we do make top 6, our inconsistency will show him up.
Currently we are 6 points behind Killie with an inferior goal difference and 7 behind saint mirren, again with worse goal difference, so there would have to be a respective swing of 8 and 9 points to overtake them.
Do we really think that we will win 3 more games than these two teams out of 9 remaining when we have only won 4 out of last 15 ( 1 to lower league opposition)?

We can point out referees incompetence till cows come home, but reality is we have not been playing great , have not had a come from behind win and seemingly need to score 3 goals to win a game.

I'm as frustrated as anyone as I thought he would be a good breath of fresh air.
It seems like another manager search will be happening very soon tho

Tha Cabbage Kid
14-03-2024, 10:35 AM

I dont want to see Monty emptied. but after we scored our second goal yesterday we went all to pot. there was no calm or composure on the ball. with the players we had we should have should have been looking to score another rather than invite them on. they had one shot on tarket all game until we decided to sit back and ask them questions. why we didnt just go for a third goal in beyond me. stupid gamble if you ask me. that lies with the management.

but our last few games we were cheated out of a good few points. which wasnt Monty's fault.
I like the way we have been playing the last few games and feel gutted about yesterdays result but the season is far from over. dundee wont beat the rangers and we will see off Livi. then we have about 8 games left to go on the offensive and scalp st mirren, killie and jams.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 10:42 AM
The Old Firm are an anomaly because they are winning with better players nothing to do with nationality.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, great. So it's quality of player then you agree? Nothing to do with a Scottish spine. This is on the same level as Neil Lennon being a born winner.

Here's St Mirren "Scottish Spine" btw;

Hemming
Gogic
Kwon
Boyd-Munce
Mandron

Do you see the pattern?

The best and most successful Hibs sides have always had a strong Scottish core, I’ll wait for any evidence to the contrary.

Our current squad of misfits is just a random collection of journeymen and youngsters , with painfully limited experience in defence - little wonder there is next to no team chemistry nor a bond with the fans.

St Mirren have better players than us on the whole, IMO.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 10:44 AM
I know plenty managers have been sacked after fewer games than that but it's crazy how little time they get these days to implement a structure/way of playing. Given how mediocre we've been for several years now it's unrealistic to expect a new manager to come in and immediately hit the ground running (especially when you're working with someone else's squad for the first few months). You have to imagine Monty came here with a long-term plan, bearing in mind he was prepared to move halfway round the globe and uproot his family to take the job. On recent evidence I think he deserves more time to get where he wants to go with Hibs.

He can have a long term plan all he wants. Long term plans require short term successes to get the chance to implement the long term plan. He’s miles from doing that.

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2024, 10:45 AM
The best and most successful Hibs sides have always had a strong Scottish core, I’ll wait for any evidence to the contrary.

Our current squad of misfits is just a random collection of journeymen and youngsters , with painfully limited experience in defence - little wonder there is next to no team chemistry nor a bond with the fans.

I'm not bothered about the best and most successful Hibs sides really. It's 2024 now and we have 6 teams above us and the top 4 all have good foreign players that are helping them reach a consistency that we can't.

You've hit the nail on the head there, St Mirren are better than us this season which is exactly my point. The "best Hibs sides" are too few and far between, we've had plenty Scots fail us.

Ronniekirk
14-03-2024, 10:58 AM
I dont want to see Monty emptied. but after we scored our second goal yesterday we went all to pot. there was no calm or composure on the ball. with the players we had we should have should have been looking to score another rather than invite them on. they had one shot on tarket all game until we decided to sit back and ask them questions. why we didnt just go for a third goal in beyond me. stupid gamble if you ask me. that lies with the management.

but our last few games we were cheated out of a good few points. which wasnt Monty's fault.
I like the way we have been playing the last few games and feel gutted about yesterdays result but the season is far from over. dundee wont beat the rangers and we will see off Livi. then we have about 8 games left to go on the offensive and scalp st mirren, killie and jams.
We have improved but our inability to score more than two goals is baffling Our defence know struggles to keep a clean sheet so it’s a bad combo and gives teams belief they can come back at us late on in games

southern hibby
14-03-2024, 10:59 AM
I’m not sure if Hibs will empty Monty or not. However if they are thinking about it and it’s a if, maybe they should do it now so a new manager has time to assess the players he has and can decide what he needs to bring in for next season.

If Monty gets 5-10 games at the start of next season and is then punted the new manager will have Monty’s players and yet again we’re in the same position we have been this season by waiting to bring players in, in the Jan window.

GGTTH

ChilliEater
14-03-2024, 11:05 AM

Colgan, Sauzee, Jack, Latapy, Mixu - magnificent Scottish spine. I think you might be onto something 🤔

Ozyhibby
14-03-2024, 11:09 AM

In what way is under performing your budget not failure?

GreenCastle
14-03-2024, 11:11 AM
Think it’s now between Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell for final top 6 space.

Have a feeling that Motherwell away last game before the split will be a massive game / career defining for Monty.

Onion
14-03-2024, 11:13 AM
I think if we fail to make top 6 NM will be gone.
Crowds will evaporate and there will be a toxic atmosphere where the fans will turn on him.
Even if we do make top 6, our inconsistency will show him up.
Currently we are 6 points behind Killie with an inferior goal difference and 7 behind saint mirren, again with worse goal difference, so there would have to be a respective swing of 8 and 9 points to overtake them.
Do we really think that we will win 3 more games than these two teams out of 9 remaining when we have only won 4 out of last 15 ( 1 to lower league opposition)?

We can point out referees incompetence till cows come home, but reality is we have not been playing great , have not had a come from behind win and seemingly need to score 3 goals to win a game.

I'm as frustrated as anyone as I thought he would be a good breath of fresh air.
It seems like another manager search will be happening very soon tho

Which is the most frustrating thing. Hibs Board appear incapable of picking a manager, plain and simple. And every time they fail, they cost the club £millions buying in poor players, failing in the league and dropping attendances. Rinse and repeat. How long do the same people do the same things and continue to expect a different outcome ? We can only hope and pray Foley doesn't suffer fools and can help root out the problem, otherwise his few million will be the latest chunk of cash to be pissed on a Leith wall.

allmodcons
14-03-2024, 11:15 AM

Agree with this 100%.

Players being played out of position in some woeful set ups, last night's first 45 minutes being as bad as I've seen and, to make matters worse, I'm seeing things that need remedying during a game before he does! He's really that bad.

No hysteria from me. I just think he's totally out of his depth and want better for my Club.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 11:16 AM
Colgan, Sauzee, Jack, Latapy, Mixu - magnificent Scottish spine. I think you might be onto something 🤔

Indeed. A good side. Our current crop of foreign players are nowhere near that level, nor are they likely to be even after this summers supposed tranafer bonanza.

Eclipsed in the history books by 91, 07 and 16 too. You know, Hibs teams with a bit of character - Scottish spines supplemented by a sprinkling of exotic flair. We’re too far the other way currently, team full of show ponies by and large. Our current squad (could even be extended to manager / club as a whole) are devoid of character IMO, and it shows.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 11:19 AM
I'm not bothered about the best and most successful Hibs sides really.

A reasonable blueprint for us to try and emulate is it not?

All comes back to the club hierarchy trying to be too clever, our strategy over the last few years has been ****ing shambolic.

Will be nice to watch the Jambos have their second pop at the group stage whilst we fanny about with project players in the chase for sell on fees.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 11:23 AM

All comes back to the club hierarchy trying to be too clever, our strategy over the last few years has been ****ing shambolic.

Will be nice to watch the Jambos have their second pop at the group stage whilst we fanny about with project players in the chase for sell on fees.

If you can call Lawrence Shankland a spine, then yeah, that's the blueprint right enough...

ozwoody
14-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Indeed. A good side. Our current crop of foreign players are nowhere near that level, nor are they likely to be even after this summers supposed tranafer bonanza.

Eclipsed in the history books by 91, 07 and 16 too. You know, Hibs teams with a bit of character - Scottish spines supplemented by a sprinkling of exotic flair. We’re too far the other way currently, team full of show ponies by and large. Our current squad (could even be extended to manager / club as a whole) are devoid of character IMO, and it shows.

While that team were now considered legends, they also lost the league cup and failed to get promoted over two legs to Falkirk.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 11:36 AM
I thought we were very unlucky last night not to get 3 points , I'm still trying to figure out where the officials got 7 minutes from , why we didn't get the throw - in , how the Ross county player got to take it from where he did and why we played nearly 8 minutes.

Decisions recently have really cost us some vital points which would have made a massive difference, hard luck story?, maybe though a lot of the games lately it's felt like we been really cheated imo .

I think the reaction towards the manager is abit OTT with 3 or 4 threads started about him just like this one with the thread title " season over" . A win on Saturday with Dundee hopefully losing to sevco will see us back in the top 6 plus the fact Killie and St Mirren play one another too , so somebody's going to drop points there or maybe both will .

Season over ? , nah still have a lot to play for yet . Hopefully we will start getting a rub of the green too . I haven't given up on Monty or finishing top 6 yet :aok:

ozwoody
14-03-2024, 11:38 AM
Which is the most frustrating thing. Hibs Board appear incapable of picking a manager, plain and simple. And every time they fail, they cost the club £millions buying in poor players, failing in the league and dropping attendances. Rinse and repeat. How long do the same people do the same things and continue to expect a different outcome ? We can only hope and pray Foley doesn't suffer fools and can help root out the problem, otherwise his few million will be the latest chunk of cash to be pissed on a Leith wall.

Agreed, where we went for the " cheap" option has cost us millions in league placings, cup runs and possible euro contention.

The next choice is critical and I'm sure the Black Knights will be a big part of that decision making

Brooster
14-03-2024, 11:44 AM
I think he will be here next season, he's proved recently he can get a tune out of better players. Referees and VAR haven't helped but yes we should be seeing games out.

He won't get sacked just because a few .netters get outraged at losing a late equaliser.

LaMotta
14-03-2024, 11:45 AM

The Scott Allan posts were valid given he was the only midfielder who had consistently created anything whilst playing that season, and the team was failing to score on a weekly basis while he sat on the bench.

A half fit Scott Allan was a far better option than Ewen Henderson or the other donuts Maloney was picking.

Centre Hawf
14-03-2024, 11:48 AM

To be fair that team over the course of a few years had a mixture of John Hughes, Pat McGinley, Stevie Crawford, Grant Brebner, John O'Neill, and Gary Smith. Some more exciting than others but all vastly experienced in Scottish Football, with the exception of Brebner perhaps just on age.

I'm not hugely on the "Scots are better" bandwagon but I do think it helps having a couple core lads who 'get' the league a bit to help along the revolving door of players that come over the years. That doesn't mean you need to sign any player who has rogue one off good season. But I refuse to believe there hasn't been better players move between clubs in this division the last 2/3 seasons than what we've probably overpaid for from somewhere else.

The secret is finding the right balance to it all.

superfurryhibby
14-03-2024, 11:48 AM
Time running out for Monty. Failure to make the top six will see him sacked and rightly so. Until then he remains in post.

Heisenberg
14-03-2024, 11:52 AM
I think he will be here next season, he's proved recently he can get a tune out of better players. Referees and VAR haven't helped but yes we should be seeing games out.

He won't get sacked just because a few .netters get outraged at losing a late equaliser.

Defence has been an issue all season and we’re still conceding the same stupid goals from crosses into the box. If he can’t sort it and get us into 4th/5th he’ll surely be out the door.

GreenCastle
14-03-2024, 12:05 PM
Think it’s now between Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell for final top 6 space.

Have a feeling that Motherwell away last game before the split will be a massive game / career defining for Monty.

Is It On....
14-03-2024, 12:07 PM
Then next two games are winnable, then post split will be interesting, if we don't win those games then quite rightly the powers that be will be looking at his performance to evaluate if he should be given next season. The post split fixtures would be tough to make any in roads if we don't win those games....

The next 2 games are Livi and Sevco2012 in Glasgow. Whilst I like your optimism, I would think that's a maximum potential of 3 points.

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2024, 12:13 PM

Which blueprint? The Scottish Cup winning team that couldn't get out the Championship?

SaulGoodman
14-03-2024, 12:47 PM
I don't see what the board have been trying to do over the past few years. Looking around at Hearts, Dundee, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, I don't quite understand why, with the resources we have, we've been so (mostly) ***** the past 4 years.

Simple, those teams have signed players and managers that have proven to be good in Scottish football.

We seem to think we’re above that, oh here’s a manager that’s done well in Australia, here’s a winger that looked alright for a Portuguese B team.

Imo, Scottish football is unique. How many times do you see big name English signings for the OF and they struggle despite how good they were in England?

As much as the new signings have improved us, and I like the look of them, how many Scottish players did we have in the starting 11 last night?

Look at the team that won the Scottish cup,
McGregor
Hanlon
Gray
Fyvie
Mcginn
Mcgeough
Stevenson
Cummings.

Even our non-Scottish players in Fontaine and Stokes had experience in Scottish football.

Hibby Bairn
14-03-2024, 12:48 PM
Sack everyone.

SaulGoodman
14-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Which blueprint? The Scottish Cup winning team that couldn't get out the Championship?

Season 1 - Hearts go up
Season 2 - Rangers go up
Season 3- Hibs go up.

That team would absolutely wipe the floor with our current team.

SaulGoodman
14-03-2024, 12:55 PM

I think it’s unfair to suggest that someone saying we could do with Scottish experience is being Xenophobic.

Keith_M
14-03-2024, 12:56 PM
I genuinely think a decent manager would be getting much better results with our current squad, even with the players out injured or suspended.

Look at last night's starting eleven. When it was announced, and when we saw how they were set up, it was obvious to almost everybody that it was wrong... but our manager took until half time to work that out.

Plus our 'game management' when ahead is atrocious.

SickBoy32
14-03-2024, 01:09 PM

😂

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2024, 01:11 PM
I think it’s unfair to suggest that someone saying we could do with Scottish experience is being Xenophobic.

Fair comment.

Season 1 - Hearts go up
Season 2 - Rangers go up
Season 3- Hibs go up.

That team would absolutely wipe the floor with our current team.

So Hearts & Rangers were better than the magnificent Scottish blueprint we had.

SaulGoodman
14-03-2024, 01:31 PM

Yes.

I mean no.

Well, maybe.

Stop playing your mind games with me

Hibby Bairn
14-03-2024, 01:35 PM

Totally agree.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2024, 01:42 PM

Has he? The results are still awful.

easty
14-03-2024, 01:47 PM

Aye that's why folk want him sacked, because of one game last night. Nothing to do with the way we've been managed since he joined.

He's not going to keep his job just because a few .netters cannae see he's useless.

easty
14-03-2024, 01:50 PM

And he's not even "getting a tune" out of the better players. Marcondes looks a real quality player, but he's been dug meat the last few games.

Centre Hawf
14-03-2024, 01:51 PM

To be fair Hearts had a bit of a Scottish blueprint in their winning team that had also benefited from a years worth of experience in the Prem the year before. Guys like Neil Alexander, Patterson, Danny Wilson, Jamie Walker, Sam Nicholson, and James Keatings. But then they had not just Scottish guys but experience Scottish Football men like Gomis and Buaben as well.

Rangers the year after had Lee Wallace, Andy Halliday, Barrie Mackay, Danny Wilson again, Kenny Miller, Jason Holt.

I won't pretend all these guys are the best players I've ever seen but both sides had Scottish football experience to help newer guys adapt easier. I think we had that with Paul, Lewy, Daz, Gray, Allan, Boyle. But that's begun to chip away over the years and now you'd probably say the likes of Newell and Boyle are the most experienced out of those that now play with Paul and Lewy about to likely leave. Even Marsh hadn't even played up here for about 15 years.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 01:52 PM
And he's not even "getting a tune" out of the better players. Marcondes looks a real quality player, but he's been dug meat the last few games.

I’ll excuse him for being played out of position. But he was poor in his actual position at home to Ross County and not much better in his 45 minutes there against them last night.

Plenty to be critical of Montgomery for, but sometimes it’s on the players as well. Marcondes been poor since Tynecastle.

Broken Gnome
14-03-2024, 02:00 PM
I’ll excuse him for being played out of position. But he was poor in his actual position at home to Ross County and not much better in his 45 minutes there against them last night.

Plenty to be critical of Montgomery for, but sometimes it’s on the players as well. Marcondes been poor since Tynecastle.

Maolida was pretty awful last night too - fine goal obviously, but I'd struggle to remember a successful pass. Was like he couldn't handle the pitch with all the clipped passes flying way off target.

He's here!
14-03-2024, 02:05 PM

Of the last five unbeaten in the league, which results have been awful? Draws at Pittodrie and Tynecastle are always acceptable and were it not for dismal refereeing decisions we could have won both those games. Not winning last night was disappointing but again we've rarely had it easy at Dingwall and again we were screwed by a bewildering mistake by the officials. The two home wins were what we would expect (but have often failed to achieve under plenty of previous managers).

Losing (unluckily) at home to Celtic in the league and Rangers in the cup are hardly 'awful' results.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Maolida was pretty awful last night too - fine goal obviously, but I'd struggle to remember a successful pass. Was like he couldn't handle the pitch with all the clipped passes flying way off target.

Agree on Maolida. Wasted a few good positions but really good goal.

Pitch wasn’t good last night. Standing next to it, it looked rock hard and the ball was firing about on it.

basehibby
14-03-2024, 02:16 PM
My oh my - out the cup and 2 points dropped away and its pant wetting central again!

I should have known- the fact that in both games we were on the wrong end of abominable officiating would make no difference to the sack-the-manager brigade - they are just not happy unless their mattress is damp.

Season is 100% NOT over - plenty still to play for and I'll keep my powder dry re Monty until its all over.

JimBHibees
14-03-2024, 02:19 PM
My oh my - out the cup and 2 points dropped away and its pant wetting central again!

I should have known- the fact that in both games we were on the wrong end of abominable officiating would make no difference to the sack-the-manager brigade - they are just not happy unless their mattress is damp.

Season is 100% NOT over - plenty still to play for and I'll keep my powder dry re Monty until its all over.

Agree with that

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 02:22 PM

Having read this post I almost forgot he’s managed 30 games and not 2.

Brooster
14-03-2024, 02:24 PM

Look at our results since the new guys and the Australian guys have all been in the team then come back to tell me the results have been awful.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 02:35 PM
Having read this post I almost forgot he’s managed 30 games and not 2.

Yip, it's the long knee jerk I've ever had. Taken about 5 months. I need to be more considered.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 02:37 PM
Look at our results since the new guys and the Australian guys have all been in the team then come back to tell me the results have been awful.

League form

Played 29
Won 8
Drawn 11
Lost 10

Those are the only stats that matter at this point.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 03:21 PM
Yip, it's the long knee jerk I've ever had. Taken about 5 months. I need to be more considered.

The fact he's not had a pre -season and only one transfer window ( the hardest one ) as well as numerous injuries to key players plus some horrendously bad decisions recently that's cost us enough points to have seen us sitting in 4th spot at this stage should be taken into account alright . Sad thing is though I think some have already made their mind up in he should go without giving him a chance .

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 04:23 PM

Umm...

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-03-2024, 04:26 PM
Umm...

You've actually got to rub your eyes after reading it to make sure that you've read it properly.

He's here!
14-03-2024, 04:29 PM
League form

Played 29
Won 8
Drawn 11
Lost 10

Those are the only stats that matter at this point.

That wasn't the question. Have results improved lately. The answer to that is yes, which is what matters.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 04:34 PM
The fact he's not had a pre -season and only one transfer window ( the hardest one ) as well as numerous injuries to key players plus some horrendously bad decisions recently that's cost us enough points to have seen us sitting in 4th spot at this stage should be taken into account alright . Sad thing is though I think some have already made their mind up in he should go without giving him a chance .

Shouldn't he be the one telling us that the dog ate his homework rather than you?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 04:37 PM
That wasn't the question. Have results improved lately. The answer to that is yes, which is what matters.

Can you tell me what good results he's got lately. I e. Results that we shouldn't routinely expect?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 04:37 PM
Shouldn't he be the one telling us that the dog ate his homework rather than you?

😅 Spot on. But...but...but...

Northernhibee
14-03-2024, 04:38 PM

There are some who made their mind up as soon as he was appointed.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 04:41 PM

Not me, I supported his appointment, and I defended him at times, I can see why we made it too, catch someone on the way up etc. But it hasn't worked, on any metric. No shame in admitting it has been a poor appointment. And it has.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 04:55 PM

I’m not really buying that, but even if they had, he’s done absolutely nothing to change peoples minds.

His record is absolutely *****. There really is no getting away from that. He’s been a really, really poor appointment.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 05:08 PM

I agree , some of it felt like it was down to they didn't get who they wanted as manager like Lennon or McInnes.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 05:08 PM

Pretty sure I wasn't one of them, maybe there are posts that prove me wrong. I seem to remember having a pretty good feeling about his appointment initially. I think I was wrong.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 05:17 PM

Don't think he should be telling us anything , as fans we should see that there's been things out of his control that's went against us rather than beat him with a big stick for like last nights events Not really rocket science tbh .

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 05:17 PM
Can you tell me what good results he's got lately. I e. Results that we shouldn't routinely expect?

We’ve performed well and picked up a reasonable number of points over the last 5 games. I think we’ll win on Saturday to make it 6 unbeaten in the league.

Is it anything brilliant? No really. Is it a big improvement on what we’ve seen for a lot of the season? Aye.

Over the last 2 and a bit seasons, we’ve no been good enough to routinely expect anything, simple as that.

JohnM1875
14-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Season is only over if we don't make the top six. As it stands we can still do that and are still only seven points off fourth in spite of how pish a season we all know we've had.

The teams above us are hardly going to go on unbeaten runs either. Just really need to make top six.

maturehibby
14-03-2024, 05:49 PM
Get off his case the man has capabilities and Given time plus his signings for next season will make it all well .
You don't sack someone willy nilly after bringing him and his family 12 thousand miles and not give him a proper time to settle in and do his job without the constant let's sack him .
Imagine it in reverse if you and your family had been offered a job in Australia and after a few months your boss said your not doing your job so your out .
You would say "boss give me time as I am only just in the job and need time to adjust .

Same applies and should after a decent trial period the Hibs board and not people on here should make the decision
Remember Sir Alex

maturehibby
14-03-2024, 05:58 PM
Get off his case the man has capabilities and Given time plus his signings for next season will make it all well .
You don't sack someone willy nilly after bringing him and his family 12 thousand miles and not give him a proper time to settle in and do his job without the constant let's sack him .
Imagine it in reverse if you and your family had been offered a job in Australia and after a few months your boss said your not doing your job so your out .
You would say "boss give me time as I am only just in the job and need time to adjust .

Same applies and should after a decent trial period the Hibs board and not people on here should make the decision
Remember Sir Alex

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 06:04 PM
Don't think he should be telling us anything , as fans we should see that there's been things out of his control that's went against us rather than beat him with a big stick for like last nights events Not really rocket science tbh .

Who stopped him from subbing Obita?

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:05 PM

Remember Sir Alex

Fair enough. Tell me his capabilities?

NC1875
14-03-2024, 06:06 PM
I was really excited at his appointment and then have called for him to go as recently as last night with the frustration of the result.

I’m actually on a job in the same street NM lives in. Seen him out at the park with his daughter the other night and it puts things into perspective a bit. Hes uprooted his whole family to come here, he will surely do everything he can to make it a success.

Let’s back him for the rest of the season and with some more signings in the summer, hope he really kicks on next season. He’ll have learnt a lot already and we’re surely due some luck.

GGTTH

Basildon Hibs
14-03-2024, 06:07 PM

Remember Sir Alex

If they had any sense, they would've stayed in Oz...😲🤣🤣

maturehibby
14-03-2024, 06:48 PM
Fair enough. Tell me his capabilities?

Won everything in Australia and if my memory serves me well they are higher ranked than Scotland

And turned one for sure off the rails to a star one Jason Cummings

Hibees1973
14-03-2024, 06:50 PM
The longer he is here, the less he impresses me.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:51 PM
Won everything in Australia and if my memory serves me well they are higher ranked than Scotland

And turned one for sure off the rails to a star one Jason Cummings

Yes, but what has he done at Hibs?

HoboHarry
14-03-2024, 06:52 PM

Remember Sir Alex
More recently, there were plenty of Arsenal fans wanted Arteta sacked, likewise with Moyes at West Ham. Empty barrels and noise comes to mind.

Davy Mac
14-03-2024, 06:54 PM
I was really excited at his appointment and then have called for him to go as recently as last night with the frustration of the result.

I’m actually on a job in the same street NM lives in. Seen him out at the park with his daughter the other night and it puts things into perspective a bit. Hes uprooted his whole family to come here, he will surely do everything he can to make it a success.

Let’s back him for the rest of the season and with some more signings in the summer, hope he really kicks on next season. He’ll have learnt a lot already and we’re surely due some luck.

GGTTH

Talk is his family are not settled/enjoying our weather too much, i suppose i would be the same, beach life to the grey of Edinburgh.

gaz1875
14-03-2024, 06:54 PM

Remember Sir Alex

Sensible post from someone at last.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:56 PM
More recently, there were plenty of Arsenal fans wanted Arteta sacked, likewise with Moyes at West Ham. Empty barrels and noise comes to mind.

If any of you that support his continued employment as Hibs manager can tell me 'why' he should be give more time, or can point me in the direction of the good things he's done at Hibs, I'm genuinely willing to listen. I just don't see what his supporters are seeing.

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 06:56 PM
Yes, but what has he done at Hibs?

Picked up a team in 10th & currently has us 7th. He’ll leave Moriah-Welsh & Amos for the next guy who will have one less area needing rebuilt than Montgomery inherited.

Hibees1973
14-03-2024, 06:57 PM
If he doesn't get us into the top 6 then he has failed.

I don't care about this 12,000 miles with his family nonsense.

Should be sacked immediately if we are in the bottom 6 after the split.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 06:57 PM
Picked up a team in 10th & currently has us 7th. He’ll leave Moriah-Welsh & Amos for the next guy who will have one less area needing rebuilt than Montgomery inherited.

Haha, okay. Not a ringing endorsement.

gaz1875
14-03-2024, 06:58 PM

Why would he sub one of our best player of the season, just in case he got another booking? Hindsight is brilliant, you must have bags of it, get into football management.

ruthven_raiders
14-03-2024, 06:59 PM
Talk is his family are not settled/enjoying our weather too much, i suppose i would be the same, beach life to the grey of Edinburgh.

Yeh it would be a shock to the system, but he wanted a managers career in England,so this was the next step towards that, and he wanted to be nearer family, so weather will be just the same in Yorkshire, maybe if his family don't take to life in the uk then he might end up back in OZ...

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 07:03 PM
Haha, okay. Not a ringing endorsement.

No, and I’d not make a particularly strong case for him. However, if he could swap the defence he inherited for any other in the league outside of Livingston then we’d be in the mix for 4th IMO.

A couple of defenders who can, and actively want to, head crosses and a lot of our problems go away and a majority of those 10 or 11 draws turn into wins IMO. Look at last night, a bog standard cross that Marshall, Obita & Rocky inexplicably manage to turn into a Ross county goal. Turning three points into one.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 07:10 PM
No, and I’d not make a particularly strong case for him. However, if he could swap the defence he inherited for any other in the league outside of Livingston then we’d be in the mix for 4th IMO.

A couple of defenders who can, and actively want to, head crosses and a lot of our problems go away and a majority of those 10 or 11 draws turn into wins IMO. Look at last night, a bog standard cross that Marshall, Obita & Rocky inexplicably manage to turn into a Ross county goal. Turning three points into one.

Don't disagree our defence is ropey. But there are ways to mitigate that which he chose not to do with his 2 man midfield. Anyway, I doubt he'll be here next year so it's hopefully just a waiting game.

And for the record, I really wish he had been a success.

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Don't disagree our defence is ropey. But there are ways to mitigate that which he chose not to do with his 2 man midfield. Anyway, I doubt he'll be here next year so it's hopefully just a waiting game.

And for the record, I really wish he had been a success.

We’ve conceded the same shambolic goals to bog standard crosses all season. Be it 442, 433, 4231 etc. The amount of goals we concede, and particularly the type of goals, long pre dates Montgomery. He could have probably signed a quality experienced defender in January to address this, but it would likely have had to be at the expense of signing someone like Moriah-Welsh. There was simply too many fundamental issues to fix in one January window.

He’s managing with one hand behind his back with the defected he inherited IMO, as well as learning on the job alongside many mistakes this season.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 07:20 PM
We’ve conceded the same shambolic goals to bog standard crosses all season. Be it 442, 433, 4231 etc. The amount of goals we concede, and particularly the type of goals, long pre dates Montgomery. He could have probably signed a quality experienced defender in January to address this, but it would likely have had to be at the expense of signing someone like Moriah-Welsh. There was simply too many fundamental issues to fix in one January window.

He’s managing with one hand behind his back with the defected he inherited IMO, as well as learning on the job alongside many mistakes this season also.

He wanted Triantis, his No.1 target. He's now playing in midfield.

I'm Spartacus
14-03-2024, 07:23 PM
Here's a question:

From Nick Montgomery, Lee Johnson, Shaun Maloney, Jack Ross and Paul Heckingbottom, who had the best squad?

I'd say Nick, especially with the latest additions, plus the best keeper and best attacking options.

Winning % rate league table of the above managers

Jack Ross 49%
Lee Johnson 38%
Paul Heckingbottom 34%
Nick Montgomery 33%
Shaun Maloney 32%

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 07:25 PM
Here's a question:

From Nick Montgomery, Lee Johnson, Shaun Maloney, Jack Ross and Paul Heckingbottom, who had the best squad?

I'd say Nick, especially with the latest additions, plus the best keeper and best attacking options.

Jack Ross 49%
Lee Johnson 38%
Paul Heckingbottom 34%
Nick Montgomery 33%
Shaun Maloney 32%

Utterly grim reading.

The Modfather
14-03-2024, 07:29 PM
He wanted Triantis, his No.1 target. He now playing in midfield.

Triantis has been a good signing. Someone who has also helped fix the midfield problems Montgomery inherited.

As I say, far too much work to do in one January window to fix the defence’s inability to defend crosses. We all agree crosses are our Achilles Heel, but can anyone pinpoint the root of it? It’s not protection as we’re now playing a 3 and the likes of Triantis & Moriah-Welsh are offering protection. Is it a keeper glued to his line? Full backs that don’t stop enough crosses? Centre backs that don’t win headers? A combination of all those elements? Then add in fixing the midfield and forwards.

The business Montgomery did do has been good. It was just far more than could be done in one window, a January window at that. The result being a defence that is costing us valuable points most weeks from the basics of defending.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:29 PM

Remember Sir Alex

Any football reasons for keeping him? I can’t say the fact his family had to move house is cutting it for me.

VoltaireHibs
14-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Triantis has been a good signing. Someone who has also helped fix the midfield problems Montgomery inherited.

As I say, far too much work to do in one January window to fix the defence’s inability to defend crosses. We all agree crosses are our Achilles Heel, but can anyone pinpoint the root of it? It’s not protection as we’re now playing a 3 and the likes of Triantis & Moriah-Welsh are offering protection. Is it a keeper glued to his line? Full backs that don’t stop enough crosses? Centre backs that don’t win headers? A combination of all those elements? Then add in fixing the midfield and forwards.

The business Montgomery did do has been good. It was just far more than could be done in one window, a January window at that. The result being a defence that is costing us valuable points most weeks from the basics of defending.

But Triantis was brought in as a defender, he was the defender to fix our problems. As far as I read and heard anyway?

But yeah, a combination of all those things you mention. However, I just have zero faith in the guy, so hey ho. See how it pans out. What we absolutely don't need is another manager dribbling into next season with a divided fan base, spending money and being bumped 3 games in, a'la LJ.

So either there is a big upturn in form or I think he's got to go. BK group will probably make that decision.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Here's a question:

Jack Ross 49%
Lee Johnson 38%
Paul Heckingbottom 34%
Nick Montgomery 33%
Shaun Maloney 32%

Montgomery for me as well.

I’d probably put them in order of squad strength:

Montgomery
Ross/LJ about on a par
Heckingbottom
Maloney by a distance at the bottom

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 08:33 PM
But Triantis was brought in as a defender, he was the defender to fix our problems. As far as I read and heard anyway?

But yeah, a combination of all those things you mention. However, I just have zero faith in the guy, so hey ho. See how it pans out. What we absolutely don't need is another manager dribbling into next season with a divided fan base, spending money and being bumped 3 games in, a'la LJ.

So either there is a big upturn in form or I think he's got to go. BK group will probably make that decision.

Agree with your second paragraph. The club need to have absolute 100% confidence in him or they need to sack him come next season. We cannot wait and see how he gets on then bin him after the first round of fixtures etc.

Centre Hawf
14-03-2024, 08:36 PM
I agree , some of it felt like it was down to they didn't get who they wanted as manager like Lennon or McInnes.

I don't think that's true at all and quite reductive of peoples legitimate criticisms. A lot of people have said the same about those who didn't like Lee Johnson but the fact of the matter is people tend to like winning managers and the last 3 have been anything but winning and as a result, surprisingly, are quite unliked by the majority of the support bar a few who now seem to think saying they held out hope for them to succeed to the bitter end makes them the most valiant of Hibs fans in the room.

I didn't want Lennon or McInnes and I was happy with trying Monty to be honest and excited for his appointment. But if his complete lack of any real positive impact, routine error making, and genuinely just questionable team selections has made me want to really consider McInnes next time round. But I don't think that will happen with BK now involved so I wouldn't really worry too much about that anyway.

Right now I don't even think Montgomery should be sacked, if we thought a change of manager was the route to take we should have done it nearly two months ago, but at the moment he's done just enough to keep his head above water since the St Mirren debacle and be allowed to run the course until the split and see if he can make top 6.

But either way for those who seem to love the guy, I wouldn't get used to the notion of him being here regardless of what he does between now and June because I can certainly imagine BK will be unimpressed like the majority of us seem to be.

Donegal Hibby
14-03-2024, 08:47 PM

Nobody stopped him subbing Obita or Triantis and Emiliano who were also on yellow cards , or Maolida last night who after he was booked was involved in the build up to Alfs goal . Should Monty have subbed 3 of his better players against Sevco because they were booked ? , and Maolida against Ross county too ? .

A lot of very good managers have lost players to two yellow cards this season like Pepe , Klopp , Arteta , Ange and pochettino . It happens , in hindsight I'm sure they would all have made changes though most managers want to keep their better players on even if they are booked.

Going by the way the game was getting refereed if it hadn't been Obita who was harshly sent off like NW i'm sure McLean would have found somebody else . We were never going to be allowed to win that which I don't think is Monty's fault.

Northernhibee
14-03-2024, 08:54 PM

Montgomery
Ross/LJ about on a par
Heckingbottom

The squad has been absolutely brutal for most of the season and if it wasn’t for abysmal refereeing we’d all currently be talking about twelve points from twelve, as opposed to the respectable eight that we have.

You don’t seem to like him, we get it, but what will it take for some people to realise that having to start sixteen year olds with a bench full of laddies and the likes doesn’t exactly back up the idea that he’s had a decent squad to work with?

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 09:00 PM
The squad has been absolutely brutal for most of the season and if it wasn’t for abysmal refereeing we’d all currently be talking about twelve points from twelve, as opposed to the respectable eight that we have.

You don’t seem to like him, we get it, but what will it take for some people to realise that having to start sixteen year olds with a bench full of laddies and the likes doesn’t exactly back up the idea that he’s had a decent squad to work with?

It’s far too simplistic to say we would have won every game if it hadn’t been for refereeing mistakes. Look at how fragile we are when we’re ahead. If those mistakes hadn’t happened, the evidence would suggest we’d have found another way to throw away the points. For example, the penalty at Tynecastle was never a penalty. The game would have panned out completely differently had that not been given though. The idea we simply would have won it, no questions asked, is nonsense. We could just as easily gave away a pen through last ditch tackle at the hour mark as Hearts pressed for an equaliser and then collapsed and lost another and got 0 points.

He didn’t have to start Whittaker. He could have quite easily changed the shape for starters. Although we all know he point blank refused to do that for 20 odd games despite it not working.

Every manager has had laddies on the bench at times. He’s had by a distance the strongest starting 11 out of all of them imo and the strongest squad as well.

Northernhibee
14-03-2024, 09:12 PM
He didn’t have to start Whittaker. He could have quite easily changed the shape for starters. Although we all know he point blank refused to do that for 20 odd games despite it not working.

Every manager has had laddies on the bench at times. He’s had by a distance the strongest starting 11 out of all of them imo and the strongest squad as well.

Absolute drivel. Whittaker was our only right back. You could change the shape but you’d still have a sixteen year old laddie at RB, next to nobody to turn to on the bench, be relying on Youan to bother his arse defending and at times IIRC we had two CBs.

To say he’s had “by a distance” the best eleven is genuinely beyond belief. As is that there is evidence that games where we were the better team would have still ended in some OTT worst case scenario.

You’d be far more credible if you just said that you didn’t like him - take this team without Rocky, Miller, Cadden, Triantis, Boyle, Marcondes, Maolida, ALF, NMW, and Amos and not even a dream team of Pep, Klopp, and Fergie are getting a tune out of it.

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 09:20 PM
Absolute drivel. Whittaker was our only right back. You could change the shape but you’d still have a sixteen year old laddie at RB, next to nobody to turn to on the bench, be relying on Youan to bother his arse defending and at times IIRC we had two CBs.

To say he’s had “by a distance” the best eleven is genuinely beyond belief. As is that there is evidence that games where we were the better team would have still ended in some OTT worst case scenario.

You’d be far more credible if you just said that you didn’t like him - take this team without Rocky, Miller, Cadden, Triantis, Boyle, Marcondes, Maolida, ALF, NMW, and Amos and not even a dream team of Pep, Klopp, and Fergie are getting a tune out of it.

Absolute nonsense imo.

I don’t like him as Hibs manager. I think he’s absolutely guff. His record backs that up.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2024, 09:28 PM
Here's a question:

Jack Ross 49%
Lee Johnson 38%
Paul Heckingbottom 34%
Nick Montgomery 33%
Shaun Maloney 32%

Ross, for me, inherited the best squad. A good keeper in Marciano. Players that Montgomery inherited (Hanlon, Boyle, Stevenson and Doidge) 4 or 5 years younger and a few injuries ago. Scott Allan when he first came in was scoring and assisting regularly. Doidge at his best in his time here. Porteous establishing himself at that point and Doig. Some sensible signings like Nisbet in his first summer and it was a pretty solid squad.

The current one is still disjointed and lacking in quality defensively. It’s miles better after the January window though and Montgomery can take some credit for that. It’s also resulted in us looking better.

Maloney never really had a chance with what he had combined with his approach.

Johnson made an arse of it when he had two summer windows and two full pre seasons but didn’t really appear to know what he was after.

Hulk1875
14-03-2024, 09:37 PM
I liked how Jack ross came across LJ what a plum.. couldn’t take
Maloney serious.. NM unsure as he’s came in into a season players we have making a difference not sure if he’s using in right way.. only time will
Tell

He's here!
14-03-2024, 09:57 PM

Montgomery
Ross/LJ about on a par
Heckingbottom

If Montgomery has the strongest squad (which I don't think he has) it's only thanks to the signings he made in January. He certainly didn't inherit it.

The refusal by some to acknowledge he has improved our results and performances in recent games seems rooted in a determination to find fault even when there are positives to be drawn. Apparently 'routine' results are not worthy of acknowledgement despite the fact we've been crying out for a manager who can achieve such results - rather than leading us to frequent, maddening defeats against sides we shouldn't be losing to.

gaz1875
14-03-2024, 10:06 PM

Here here!! there's some absolute drivel on this thread.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 10:14 PM
Why would he sub one of our best player of the season, just in case he got another booking? Hindsight is brilliant, you must have bags of it, get into football management.

Because he was having a mare all round and was clearly at risk of a second yellow as a result - as virtually everyone else could see. Taking a player off in these circumstances is something that other managers do fairly routinely, particularly in a high stakes game. It minimises the risk of going down to ten men when someone is well off their game. Did you only take up watching football recently?

Stubbsy90+2
14-03-2024, 10:15 PM
If Montgomery has the strongest squad (which I don't think he has) it's only thanks to the signings he made in January. He certainly didn't inherit it.

The refusal by some to acknowledge he has improved our results and performances in recent games seems rooted in a determination to find fault even when there are positives to be drawn. Apparently 'routine' results are not worthy of acknowledgement despite the fact we've been crying out for a manager who can achieve such results - rather than leading us to frequent, maddening defeats against sides we shouldn't be losing to.

We’ve won we’ve won 4 of our last 15 and 2 of our last 13 against teams at our level. Even if you want to narrow it down to post January, we’ve played 9 and won 3, or played 8 and won 2 against sides in our league. So even trying to remove as many bad parts as possible by removing pre January, and also including wins against lower league teams, it’s a 33% win ratio post January. That’s doing him every favour possible and guess what? It’s still crap. Lee Johnson for example got sacked with a 39% win ratio over his full tenure.

If you think that’s something worthy of acknowledgement then crack on. I think the fact you think folk should acknowledge it speaks volumes about how bad it’s been. I can’t say I’ve been crying out for a manager who can achieve those kind of results, never mind the results we’ve been subjected to even longer term.

One Day Soon
14-03-2024, 10:26 PM
Nobody stopped him subbing Obita or Triantis and Emiliano who were also on yellow cards , or Maolida last night who after he was booked was involved in the build up to Alfs goal . Should Monty have subbed 3 of his better players against Sevco because they were booked ? , and Maolida against Ross county too ? .

A lot of very good managers have lost players to two yellow cards this season like Pepe , Klopp , Arteta , Ange and pochettino . It happens , in hindsight I'm sure they would all have made changes though most managers want to keep their better players on even if they are booked.

Going by the way the game was getting refereed if it hadn't been Obita who was harshly sent off like NW i'm sure McLean would have found somebody else . We were never going to be allowed to win that which I don't think is Monty's fault.

Yes, many players pick up yellow cards in the course of a game and you don't generally sub them for that alone. However if is someone is booked, looks well off their game and is being pretty rash after the booking - particularly in a game like that one - it would be pretty rational to consider swapping them out. He didn't, which is the manager's prerogative. However he did subsequently get sent off so, you know, there's that.

In a different broader context perhaps that decision wouldn't attract so much attention, but Montgomery has form for strange tactical selections, odd substitutions and delayed reaction to what is happening on the park. That now puts the decisions like these that he does and doesn't take much more visibly in the frame, especially if 'the world is against him' is being used in 'if only' scenarios to defend him.

He'll not go before the end of the season now anyway so he's been given enough rope to either hang himself or tie his critics in knots.

Forza Fred
14-03-2024, 10:28 PM
I was and still am an enthusiastic Monty fan.

However, I am not a ‘blind faith’ fan who can’t see that so far, his tenure has not delivered the results we hoped for.

No doubt in later years he will recount stories of exactly how bad Scottish referees were and how all the points dropped cost him dearly, but I guess many other managers will tell similar stories too.

Scottish football fans are not noted for their boundless patience and
Forgiveness.

But every football manager knows results are the barometer that is used to decide if you stay or go, irrespective of what may have contributed to those results, and Monty will be only too aware he is under pressure now.

It’s all about fine margins too…..if the ref had blown the full time whistle 30 seconds earlier at Dingwall most on here would be hailing a ‘turned the corner’ moment and talking of possible European adventures.

Instead we now face a ‘must win’ game against Livingston to keep our top six hopes alive.

I’m still of the opinion that Monty can go on to do well at Hibs…if given time, but realistic enough to understand that a slip up against Livingston and/or our failure to make the top six may see the board under enormous pressure to consider his future.

So, I’m still in the ‘give him time’ camp, but as Monty will also know only too well,that time is not limitless.

I think it’s time for him to kick ass!

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2024, 10:30 PM
Rest your weary heads folks.

One word - Brian McDermott.

Stats, results, evidence, circumstances considered by someone that’s been there.

No divine right tho.

cameronw-hfc
15-03-2024, 02:25 AM
I was and still am an enthusiastic Monty fan.

However, I am not a ‘blind faith’ fan who can’t see that so far, his tenure has not delivered the results we hoped for.

No doubt in later years he will recount stories of exactly how bad Scottish referees were and how all the points dropped cost him dearly, but I guess many other managers will tell similar stories too.

Scottish football fans are not noted for their boundless patience and
Forgiveness.

But every football manager knows results are the barometer that is used to decide if you stay or go, irrespective of what may have contributed to those results, and Monty will be only too aware he is under pressure now.

It’s all about fine margins too…..if the ref had blown the full time whistle 30 seconds earlier at Dingwall most on here would be hailing a ‘turned the corner’ moment and talking of possible European adventures.

Instead we now face a ‘must win’ game against Livingston to keep our top six hopes alive.

I’m still of the opinion that Monty can go on to do well at Hibs…if given time, but realistic enough to understand that a slip up against Livingston and/or our failure to make the top six may see the board under enormous pressure to consider his future.

So, I’m still in the ‘give him time’ camp, but as Monty will also know only too well,that time is not limitless.

I think it’s time for him to kick ass!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I'd add in my opinion, the fact with Monty it's such fine margins is what gives me hope. Too many times we've been so close, yet not got over the line.

I'd like to see him with a new defence and keeper, then judge, as I think he's had to deal with one of the worst back 4s and keepers we've had in years.

Both goals the other night were Marshalls fault, better keeper and we win that game, favourites for top 6 and probably Europe again.

Under Maloney I never felt we were particularly 'close', or Johnson.

I do however feel like were really not far away under NM. We had the St Mirren game, then since that game performances have drastically improved, even if the points haven't. The team he took over was decent, but very, very poorly balanced. He(and scouting dept) corrected that a decent bit in January, but as some have mentioned, the job needing done was way too big for a Jan window.

There's been enough to show me he will get it right at Hibs if given time, although like Fred, not 100% sure we will give him that time as understandably if we don't make top 6, there's a good argument to sack him.

Last few managers I've been happy to see go, as it stands, if Monty goes, I wouldn't be gutted but I wouldn't love it either.

The Captain....
15-03-2024, 05:16 AM
He’s clueless.Exactly, Monty won't be here next season .

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Bobby's Cinema
15-03-2024, 06:51 AM
What bothers me with the manager is our control of games.

We often offer very little in the first half playing without urgency. And then a switch is flicked at half time.

We show in spells of games how dangerous we are going forward. And when we get a lead our approach totally changes. And I'm not convinced it's because the opposition do to much differently it feels more like we become happy to let them have it.

That makes you think there is more potential in the squad than we are getting out of it.

He's here!
15-03-2024, 06:55 AM
We’ve won we’ve won 4 of our last 15 and 2 of our last 13 against teams at our level. Even if you want to narrow it down to post January, we’ve played 9 and won 3, or played 8 and won 2 against sides in our league. So even trying to remove as many bad parts as possible by removing pre January, and also including wins against lower league teams, it’s a 33% win ratio post January. That’s doing him every favour possible and guess what? It’s still crap. Lee Johnson for example got sacked with a 39% win ratio over his full tenure.

If you think that’s something worthy of acknowledgement then crack on. I think the fact you think folk should acknowledge it speaks volumes about how bad it’s been. I can’t say I’ve been crying out for a manager who can achieve those kind of results, never mind the results we’ve been subjected to even longer term.

What's wrong with acknowledging we've improved since the St Mirren defeat? Personally I thought Monty did quite well to start with, losing just once in 10 games with a pretty mediocre squad. Think he had us fourth. A few frustrating draws but nothing disastrous. Things fell off a cliff over Christmas and January, compounded by Hearts suddenly finding a great run of form, but if the St Mirren game proves to be the nadir and we maintain our recent unbeaten run with what is an unquestionably improved squad then it's fair to say he's got things back on track.

Yes, if we implode again and finish the season with a whimper it's time to reconsider, but the determination by some to sèe him out the door no matter what is hard to fathom.

He's here!
15-03-2024, 06:58 AM

I'd add in my opinion, the fact with Monty it's such fine margins is what gives me hope. Too many times we've been so close, yet not got over the line.

I'd like to see him with a new defence and keeper, then judge, as I think he's had to deal with one of the worst back 4s and keepers we've had in years.

Both goals the other night were Marshalls fault, better keeper and we win that game, favourites for top 6 and probably Europe again.

I do however feel like were really not far away under NM. We had the St Mirren game, then since that game performances have drastically improved, even if the points haven't. The team he took over was decent, but very, very poorly balanced. He(and scouting dept) corrected that a decent bit in January, but as some have mentioned, the job needing done was way too big for a Jan window.

There's been enough to show me he will get it right at Hibs if given time, although like Fred, not 100% sure we will give him that time as understandably if we don't make top 6, there's a good argument to sack him.

Last few managers I've been happy to see go, as it stands, if Monty goes, I wouldn't be gutted but I wouldn't love it either.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

RIP
15-03-2024, 07:12 AM
Monty will be subject to a full Board review at the end of the season.

What will influence that outcome in addition to results analysis and league position will be the board taking the temperature from those around them. There are ex players around the club. There are shareholders. Long standing club employees. Corporate fans in the West Stand.

They don't need to be reading the Facebook pages or the messageboards to assess whether supporters are happy to endure another season of mystifying player positions, walking football or 90th minute capitulations.

BoomtownHibees
15-03-2024, 07:17 AM
I liked how Jack ross came across LJ

Punctuation is important

easty
15-03-2024, 07:17 AM
What's wrong with acknowledging we've improved since the St Mirren defeat? Personally I thought Monty did quite well to start with, losing just once in 10 games with a pretty mediocre squad. Think he had us fourth. A few frustrating draws but nothing disastrous. Things fell off a cliff over Christmas and January, compounded by Hearts suddenly finding a great run of form, but if the St Mirren game proves to be the nadir and we maintain our recent unbeaten run with what is an unquestionably improved squad then it's fair to say he's got things back on track.

Yes, if we implode again and finish the season with a whimper it's time to reconsider, but the determination by some to sèe him out the door no matter what is hard to fathom.

That’s an interesting way to look at it. He lost as many of his first 10 games as he won, 2.

Nothing disastrous in that run? Other than losing to a horse **** Aberdeen team with 10 men in a cup semi final you mean? What about the 7 game run without a win in there? What about dropping points at home to Ross County despite being 2-0 up with 15 mins to go.

You’re posting as if the people who want him gone have some kind of vendetta rather than just wanting better for Hibs, while at the same time you’re reshaping the past completely to make it look better than it was.

Talking about “imploding again”, how many bad runs should a manager be allowed? He’s had his 7 match run I mentioned above, and a 10 match run where the only teams we could beat were 2 lower league sides in the cup. Would another “implosion” and run like that be enough for you to want him to go?

Stubbsy90+2
15-03-2024, 07:34 AM
That’s an interesting way to look at it. He lost as many of his first 10 games as he won, 2.

Nothing disastrous in that run? Other than losing to a horse **** Aberdeen team with 10 men in a cup semi final you mean? What about the 7 game run without a win in there? What about dropping points at home to Ross County despite being 2-0 up with 15 mins to go.

You’re posting as if the people who want him gone have some kind of vendetta rather than just wanting better for Hibs, while at the same time you’re reshaping the past completely to make it look better than it was.

Talking about “imploding again”, how many bad runs should a manager be allowed? He’s had his 7 match run I mentioned above, and a 10 match run where the only teams we could beat were 2 lower league sides in the cup. Would another “implosion” and run like that be enough for you to want him to go?

The idea that some want to ‘see him out no matter what’ is just daft. Everyone would rather he just won games.

People want him out because he’s been a very, very poor appointment who’s shown nothing to suggest he’s going to be a success here. It’s that simple and there’s nothing more to it than that.

snedzuk
15-03-2024, 07:49 AM

How about the save 2 minutes before they equalised to keep us ahead. Was that Marshalls fault. Was it Marshalls fault he saved a Tavernier penalty but his defence didn't react quickly enough to the rebound.

He's here!
15-03-2024, 07:57 AM

We were the better team in the League Cup semi and unlucky to lose. Aberdeen while not beating Rangers in the Scottish Cup is hardly a disgrace.

I'm not reshaping anything. It's been frustrating (as it has been under several managers for years now), but for me there's been enough there to give him more time.

Centre Hawf
15-03-2024, 07:59 AM
We were the better team in the League Cup semi and unlucky to lose, while not beating Rangers in the Scottish Cup is hardly a disgrace.

I'm not reshaping anything. It's been frustrating (as it has been under several managers for years now), but for me there's been enough there to give him more time.

Not a dig at you, or even really Nick Montgomery, but I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing that in my lifetime about us at Hampden. Would prefer if someone could just get the results over the line when given big opportunities for once.

Since452
15-03-2024, 08:05 AM

If Lee Johnson was manager with the same results could you imagine the seethe?

Could you imagine if Jack Ross had bottled the semi against 10 man Aberdeen?

He's had an incredibly easy time of it in comparison from the support. Remember when Ross was accused of not winning big games when we were finishing 3rd 😂

One Day Soon
15-03-2024, 08:18 AM
Punctuation is important

Eew. And :faf:

easty
15-03-2024, 08:31 AM
We were the better team in the League Cup semi and unlucky to lose. Aberdeen while not beating Rangers in the Scottish Cup is hardly a disgrace.

You did reshape it, you said he only lost once in his first 10 games, and there was nothing disastrous.

That’s not the reality of what actually happened though. In those 10 games we lost 2 not 1. We went 7 games without a win. We threw away at 2-0 lead twice. Once with 30 mins left and another with 15 mins left. And we went out the cup to 10 men Aberdeen. Bearing in mind that at that point Aberdeen were in the middle of their own 12 match run with only 2 wins.

You say he did quite well to start and there was nothing disastrous. The reality of it was massively different to me.

Stuart93
15-03-2024, 08:37 AM
What bothers me with the manager is our control of games.

We often offer very little in the first half playing without urgency. And then a switch is flicked at half time.

We show in spells of games how dangerous we are going forward. And when we get a lead our approach totally changes. And I'm not convinced it's because the opposition do to much differently it feels more like we become happy to let them have it.

That makes you think there is more potential in the squad than we are getting out of it.

Yep our game management has been horrendous this season.

If it keeps going like that, he’ll not be here next season

Stubbsy90+2
15-03-2024, 09:12 AM
You did reshape it, you said he only lost once in his first 10 games, and there was nothing disastrous.

That’s not the reality of what actually happened though. In those 10 games we lost 2 not 1. We went 7 games without a win. We threw away at 2-0 lead twice. Once with 30 mins left and another with 15 mins left. And we went out the cup to 10 men Aberdeen. Bearing in mind that at that point Aberdeen were in the middle of their own 12 match run with only 2 wins.

You say he did quite well to start and there was nothing disastrous. The reality of it was massively different to me.

He's here!
15-03-2024, 09:28 AM

If you add in the League Cup games (which included the 4-2 win over St Mirren), our initial run under Monty (according to the official website) was as follows:

Killie 2-2
St Johnstone 2-0
St Mirren 4-2
Dundee 0-0
Hearts 2-2
Rangers 0-4
Celtic 0-0
Ross County 2-2
Aberdeen 0-1
St Mirren 2-2
Kilmarnock 1-0
Dundee 2-1
Aberdeen 2-0

So yes, I got it wrong. It was two defeats in 13, including 5 wins and 6 draws. Not what I'd call disastrous, but I can see you're determined to be right on this so I'll bow out with a difference of opinion.

B.H.F.C
15-03-2024, 09:48 AM
If you add in the League Cup games (which included the 4-2 win over St Mirren), our initial run under Monty (according to the official website) was as follows:

Killie 2-2
St Johnstone 2-0
St Mirren 4-2
Dundee 0-0
Hearts 2-2
Rangers 0-4
Celtic 0-0
Ross County 2-2
Aberdeen 0-1
St Mirren 2-2
Kilmarnock 1-0
Dundee 2-1
Aberdeen 2-0

So yes, I got it wrong. It was two defeats in 13, including 5 wins and 6 draws. Not what I'd call disastrous, but I can see you're determined to be right on this so I'll bow out with a difference of opinion.

We can all pick out different runs at different points in time and frame them how we want to frame them. The only real fair way, IMO, is to look at his overall record which is 10 wins, 11 draws and 9 defeats.

It’s far from brilliant but it’s not as if we’re losing games of football week in, week out and 5 of the 9 defeats have been to Rangers and Celtic. To have drawn 8 games 2-2 is ridiculous and shows where our problems lie. It’s also why I don’t think he’s a million miles away providing there is a proper focus on fixing that issue. Chuck in the squad we operated with a lot of the time November to January and some of the decisions that have cost us points in the last few weeks, I think there is just about enough mitigation as to why we’re not in a stronger position. We need to finish the season well though and I’ve seen enough over the last month or so to think we can/will do that.

Donegal Hibby
15-03-2024, 10:32 AM
I don't think that's true at all and quite reductive of peoples legitimate criticisms. A lot of people have said the same about those who didn't like Lee Johnson but the fact of the matter is people tend to like winning managers and the last 3 have been anything but winning and as a result, surprisingly, are quite unliked by the majority of the support bar a few who now seem to think saying they held out hope for them to succeed to the bitter end makes them the most valiant of Hibs fans in the room.

I didn't want Lennon or McInnes and I was happy with trying Monty to be honest and excited for his appointment. But if his complete lack of any real positive impact, routine error making, and genuinely just questionable team selections has made me want to really consider McInnes next time round. But I don't think that will happen with BK now involved so I wouldn't really worry too much about that anyway.

Right now I don't even think Montgomery should be sacked, if we thought a change of manager was the route to take we should have done it nearly two months ago, but at the moment he's done just enough to keep his head above water since the St Mirren debacle and be allowed to run the course until the split and see if he can make top 6.

But either way for those who seem to love the guy, I wouldn't get used to the notion of him being here regardless of what he does between now and June because I can certainly imagine BK will be unimpressed like the majority of us seem to be.

Not in all cases though , I do think certain fans on here have a thing about Lennon and McInnes tbh . Since we were looking for a manager before LJ they've been mentioned repeatedly for the Hibs job and probably will again if it because available.

Personally I wouldn't want either near the place , one we deteriorated under an left in a manner that wasn't nice and caused turmoil . The other is a good manager with a good record who's teams are well organised and hard to beat though the football they play is rank rotten which was very much evident in their cup game against a very poor Aberdeen side and is the main reason a lot of dons fans wouldn't want him back even though he had some success up there .

As for Monty , yes he's got things wrong at times , there's no doubt about that though we been unfortunate with injuries were we've had to play with a 16 year old at RB and very little options on the bench too .

We lost 7 in the league out of 25 , St Mirren and St Johnstone results were terrible , our defeat to hertz was basically a smash in grab which we didn't deserve .Apart from that we lost twice each to sevco and Celtic , one of them was helped by decisions only favouring the old firm again.

Drawing games has really cost us this season some of which we've messed up on like when we've been 2-0 up though there's four I can think of were decisions or the lack of them has probably cost us 8 , 9 , 11 points or so this season which if we had got nobody would be talking about getting rid of the manager because we'd be sitting 4th now. Fine margins I know though would anyone really deny we haven't been robbed in certain games this year ? .

Since the January signings have came in and got time to settle in I think results have improved and we have played some decent stuff at times too . I think we will make top 6 . The thread title that the season is over is inaccurate imo and emptying Monty now I don't see what it would achieve other than put us back to square one again. Any manager we have is certainly going to need longer than one transfer window to turn things around . McInnes certainly did at Killie btw .👍

Ozyhibby
15-03-2024, 10:36 AM

Hindsight? Check the match thread you will see many many posters saying he needs subbed long before it happened.

hibsbollah
15-03-2024, 10:43 AM
Its all a bit knee jerk. Not picking up all 3 points against Ross County, Sack Him! Beat Dundee and Ross County at ER, (first game impressively) Keep Him!
I just feel like we're plodding along, with better players, better performances, he's not shown anything sustained in terms of performances and results but at the same time he's had some decent moments and good results interspersed. A meh manager.

But this season has been characterised by the worst refereeing decisions affecting our club that i've ever known, and brings the competence and honesty of the officials into question and therefore the ability to judge him is limited. Positive results against the 4 other big clubs we played in january and early Feb would have cut him a break with the fans and grown confidence in the team. instead we get 2 points of those 12.

I actually think we've had 12-15 points actually swiped from us this year by weird decisions.

hibsbollah
15-03-2024, 10:46 AM
Hindsight? Check the match thread you will see many many posters saying he needs subbed long before it happened.

I think you're misunderstanding hindsight. Whether or not they called for the sub before it happened, the fact that they are able to refer back to it, and we're unable to see the consequences of the other alternative, means that Gaz is correct and by by definition, they're using hindsight.

Centre Hawf
15-03-2024, 11:23 AM
Not in all cases though , I do think certain fans on here have a thing about Lennon and McInnes tbh . Since we were looking for a manager before LJ they've been mentioned repeatedly for the Hibs job and probably will again if it because available.

Personally I wouldn't want either near the place , one we deteriorated under an left in a manner that wasn't nice and caused turmoil . The other is a good manager with a good record who's teams are well organised and hard to beat though the football they play is rank rotten which was very much evident in their cup game against a very poor Aberdeen side and is the main reason a lot of dons fans wouldn't want him back even though he had some success up there .

As for Monty , yes he's got things wrong at times , there's no doubt about that though we been unfortunate with injuries were we've had to play with a 16 year old at RB and very little options on the bench too .

We lost 7 in the league out of 25 , St Mirren and St Johnstone results were terrible , our defeat to hertz was basically a smash in grab which we didn't deserve .Apart from that we lost twice each to sevco and Celtic , one of them was helped by decisions only favouring the old firm again.

Drawing games has really cost us this season some of which we've messed up on like when we've been 2-0 up though there's four I can think of were decisions or the lack of them has probably cost us 8 , 9 , 11 points or so this season which if we had got nobody would be talking about getting rid of the manager because we'd be sitting 4th now. Fine margins I know though would anyone really deny we haven't been robbed in certain games this year ? .

Since the January signings have came in and got time to settle in I think results have improved and we have played some decent stuff at times too . I think we will make top 6 . The thread title that the season is over is inaccurate imo and emptying Monty now I don't see what it would achieve other than put us back to square one again. Any manager we have is certainly going to need longer than one transfer window to turn things around . McInnes certainly did at Killie btw .👍

I think people pine for Lennon because there's a sense of something was left unfinished, but as you say the situation deteriorated with him and I wouldn't like to bother going down that road again. McInnes I would consider purely on the basis of it might give us 3-5 years of stability which we are desperately needing. I don't think he inherently plays bad football deliberately, I think he just whizzes with the appendage he has most of the time. But as I say I don't really think he'll be on the shortlist of managers anyway whenever we next change.

I do agree with you that things have improved somewhat and the season isn't actually over, that's why I wouldn't be getting rid of him at this precise point. But some of his decision making and inability to hold onto games from winning positions has put us in this position where we are now that top 6 hangs in the balance and while I appreciate the officials have been dire and cost us some points, he'll only have himself to blame really should the axe fall on him.

HendoDelivered
15-03-2024, 11:44 AM
If VAR hadn’t of ****ed us over so many time and cost us many a point, I doubt this thread would be half as busy as it is. I hope he gets time to show next season what he can really do, I still believe he will come good. Never had the same thoughts or feelings in regards to Maloney or LJ.

A win on Sat and we can start looking up again.

Jim44
15-03-2024, 12:09 PM
Firstly can I repeat what I’ve said elsewhere that Monty isn’t hacking it, was probably a bad choice in the first place and that it would be better in the long run to let him go. I’m no snowflake but I really do think that some of the language, like empty him, bin him, imposter, money thief, etc. is unnecessary. The guy has tried his best, he didn’t set out to smother us in mediocrity and doesn’t deserve the aggression that some folk are using. The folk who appointed him should be the focus of any bitterness and anger.

Trinity Hibee
15-03-2024, 12:14 PM
Firstly can I repeat what I’ve said elsewhere that Monty isn’t hacking it, was probably a bad choice in the first place and that it would be better in the long run to let him go. I’m no snowflake but I really do think that some of the language, like empty him, bin him, imposter, money thief, etc. is unnecessary. The guy has tried his best, he didn’t set out to smother us in mediocrity and doesn’t deserve the aggression that some folk are using. The folk who appointed him should be the focus of any bitterness and anger.

I agree with you. I don’t think he’s cutting it and don’t see him being here long term. But he’s certainly not going to turn the job down when he was offered it. I think now Foley is in, he’ll have some input into a longer term plan and that includes the manager. Those who have made the last 3 appointments clearly need some guidance.

If we don’t make top 6 then it makes the decision easy. In any circumstances, not making top 6 as Hibs manager is a sackable offence, end of.

Greenio
15-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Jambo provocateurs aside

Sick to death of short term thinking

Last few weeks this board has been dead. All the folk that only contribute slagging off Hibs we're nowhere to be seen. Concede a last kick goal for an away draw and here they come, usual *****

Have your opinion but at least contribute outside of your comfort zone

VoltaireHibs
15-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Jambo provocateurs aside

Sick to death of short term thinking

Last few weeks this board has been dead. All the folk that only contribute slagging off Hibs we're nowhere to be seen. Concede a last kick goal for an away draw and here they come, usual *****

Have your opinion but at least contribute outside of your comfort zone

I'd imagine any 'Jambo Provocateurs ' would be desperate for NM to stay. Same as I wanted Cathro to be given a life contract over there.

matty_f
15-03-2024, 04:21 PM
Its all a bit knee jerk. Not picking up all 3 points against Ross County, Sack Him! Beat Dundee and Ross County at ER, (first game impressively) Keep Him!
I just feel like we're plodding along, with better players, better performances, he's not shown anything sustained in terms of performances and results but at the same time he's had some decent moments and good results interspersed. A meh manager.

But this season has been characterised by the worst refereeing decisions affecting our club that i've ever known, and brings the competence and honesty of the officials into question and therefore the ability to judge him is limited. Positive results against the 4 other big clubs we played in january and early Feb would have cut him a break with the fans and grown confidence in the team. instead we get 2 points of those 12.

I actually think we've had 12-15 points actually swiped from us this year by weird decisions.

It's what happened with Johnson as well. It was all or nothing, sack or keep, swinging from result to result. It's chronic.

WhileTheChief..
15-03-2024, 05:07 PM
Who's changing their minds based on week to week results?

Seems pretty consistent to me. Most would like to him replaced and a few want to keep him on.

we are hibs
15-03-2024, 05:16 PM
Who's changing their minds based on week to week results?

Seems pretty consistent to me. Most would like to him replaced and a few want to keep him on.

That's just nonsense your last paragraph. On what basis do you know that "most" want him replaced?

If anything most Hibs fans are currently indifferent either way.

VoltaireHibs
15-03-2024, 05:17 PM
It's what happened with Johnson as well. It was all or nothing, sack or keep, swinging from result to result. It's chronic.

I supported NM, but it just hasn't improved. We can talk about VAR and rightly, so to a degree, but at no point have I watched his Hibs team and thought, yeah, he's sussed it.

Nothing wrong with wanting NM out, his results don't deserve much loyalty. When did we become a training place for rookies?

oneone73
15-03-2024, 05:20 PM
at no point have I watched his Hibs team and thought, yeah, he's sussed it.

Ross County at ER? Dundee at ER? Tynie? Celtc at ER? Huns at ER? You don't think he was getting things right there?
Some people just don't want to see.

cameronw-hfc
15-03-2024, 05:33 PM
How about the save 2 minutes before they equalised to keep us ahead. Was that Marshalls fault. Was it Marshalls fault he saved a Tavernier penalty but his defence didn't react quickly enough to the rebound.

Great save, no debying that, but a couple good saves don't make up for consistent clangers. He's had his best spell in a hibs shirt since Monty came in, but that's not saying much.

I'd be fine with him as #2, for experience, but regular gametime exposes him. Keepers like Marciano had a mistake in him, but he made up for it with the sheer amount of point saving performances. I'd bet Marshall has cost us a lot more than he's saved us since he came.

Last january on to the end of last season is possibly the worst I've ever felt with a keeper in goals. It felt inevitable he was going to chuck one in every week.

WhileTheChief..
15-03-2024, 06:03 PM
That's just nonsense your last paragraph. On what basis do you know that "most" want him replaced?

If anything most Hibs fans are currently indifferent either way.

Cool, no biggy :aok:

VoltaireHibs
15-03-2024, 06:03 PM
Ross County at ER? Dundee at ER? Tynie? Celtc at ER? Huns at ER? You don't think he was getting things right there?
Some people just don't want to see.

Sporadic improvement and then regression. Look at Mowbray or Stubbs, they had some dodgy results, but you had no doubt about what they were trying to do. With NM I don't even think he knows what he's trying to do anymore.

The Modfather
15-03-2024, 06:18 PM
Sporadic improvement and then regression. Look at Mowbray or Stubbs, they had some dodgy results, but you had no doubt about what they were trying to do. With NM I don't even think he knows what he's trying to do anymore.

When you say Montgomery doesn’t know what he’s trying to do. In real terms what does that mean? We now play the same bog standard 433/4231 as most teams and also try to pass it out from the back, the current trend in football. He identified midfield as the key area needing addressed and needing more athleticism and drive. He also brought in more quality up front who is also more of a physical presence which we previously lacked.

I don’t think we’re much different to most other teams. Post January our best 11 is competitive for 4th/5th over a season IMO. We’re a competent defence, and more depth required, away from being in the mix for 3rd IMO. As we’ve seen all season start to lose players from that strongest 11 and we’re back to being an average upper bottom 6 / lower top 6 team.

gaz1875
15-03-2024, 07:15 PM

He should have subbed Welsh then, how many on here suggested that before he was sent off?

gaz1875
15-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Because he was having a mare all round and was clearly at risk of a second yellow as a result - as virtually everyone else could see. Taking a player off in these circumstances is something that other managers do fairly routinely, particularly in a high stakes game. It minimises the risk of going down to ten men when someone is well off their game. Did you only take up watching football recently?

Haha brilliant, someone challenges you and you resort to insults, let me know when you manage a football team so I can check on how your hindsight is getting on :aok:

WestCoastHibby
15-03-2024, 07:42 PM
I think he needs to whip a couple of teams
Likely hood….. absolute zero

One Day Soon
16-03-2024, 12:14 AM
Haha brilliant, someone challenges you and you resort to insults, let me know when you manage a football team so I can check on how your hindsight is getting on :aok:

Hang on, you open with the incredibly sarcastic 'Hindsight is brilliant, you must have bags of it, get into football management.' and then you want to start whining when you get some back? Grow up.

ChilliEater
16-03-2024, 01:45 AM

I think only people with poor pronunciation can't see what he's trying to do, the question is whether or not he can implement it. There are hints that he can then red flags that he can't. I'm not sure he's had a really dominant and impressive performance and result but then only St Mirren and St Johnstone have been real start to finish stinkers. We've got a lot wrong over the last 3 or 4 years, so genuine improvement is going to be a long term project - not an instant fix. I think there are signs that he could be the man to do it and I'd be disappointed if he didn't get, at least, the rest of this season and the decision should be heavily influenced by what the atmosphere is like behind the scenes at this stage because I think we have to get that right before we'll see serious, sustained progress on the pitch.

LaMotta
16-03-2024, 06:23 AM
I think you're misunderstanding hindsight. Whether or not they called for the sub before it happened, the fact that they are able to refer back to it, and we're unable to see the consequences of the other alternative, means that Gaz is correct and by by definition, they're using hindsight.

I'm pretty sure he understands what hindsight is. The worrying thing, and the point he and others are making, is that plenty of people on the match thread had the foresight that our manager should have had.

LaMotta
16-03-2024, 06:26 AM
He should have subbed Welsh then, how many on here suggested that before he was sent off?

Nobody because he wasn't on a booking and wasn't on his last warning with the ref.

JimBHibees
16-03-2024, 06:47 AM

That is where I am even if winning away to Aberdeen and Hearts the league run then looks a lot better as does our league position. He has had a terrible time with huge game changing decisions. There is no doubt though he is up against it though with the dream team of Walsh and Mr Magoo on var today expect more decisions. Needs wins for sure probably three out of the last 4 games before break.

Ozyhibby
16-03-2024, 07:11 AM

Why? It’s not because he was on a booking. Lots of players get booked and we don’t automatically sub them. This was to do with the fact that he looked absolutely lost and was losing control.
Welsh did not look like that. I don’t blame Montgomery one bit for Welsh’s sending off. Those ones can happen to any manager. Obita’s on the other hand was telegraphed and a good manager acts before it happens.

hibsbollah
16-03-2024, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty sure he understands what hindsight is. The worrying thing, and the point he and others are making, is that plenty of people on the match thread had the foresight that our manager should have had.

You could call it hindsight. You could also call it guesswork. You tend to remember when your guesses come up, which is why we always think we’re going to beat the bookies when we never do. And the reverse happens when we’re criticising a sub (WTF is he doing? Bringing Levitt on? He must want sacked! And then Levitt scores because surprise surprise Montgomery is an actual football manager for a job, knows what hes doing and actually sees these boys in training through the week). I would never have brought Levitt on either, because i thought he would never do anything for us EVER. Same as i thought McLeish should have brought Mixu off in the 6-2 game because he was humpty and we were trailing just before halftime. True. But i tend not to tell folk that very often. Being proved right by hindsight just seems so obvious because our brains are wired like that. Obita has been our best defender for weeks and weeks and i would have kept him on because he has the ability to keep it tight and also create chances from wide positions at the other end. I assume that was Montys thinking.

hibsbollah
16-03-2024, 07:54 AM
That is where I am even if winning away to Aberdeen and Hearts the league run then looks a lot better as does our league position. He has had a terrible time with huge game changing decisions. There is no doubt though he is up against it though with the dream team of Walsh and Mr Magoo on var today expect more decisions. Needs wins for sure probably three out of the last 4 games before break.

My season ticket is going to remain unused today sadly, my boy has a game at the same time out of Edinburgh, but im absolutely dreading what mysterious decisions those two ****s have up their sleeve. Dickinson is just Alan Freeland and Craig Thomsons refereeing love child.

The Modfather
16-03-2024, 08:13 AM
Between now and the summer what would a new manager do differently? How would he turn the draws into wins and stop the individual mistakes?

Look at our last 3 away games and 3 draws. Fish getting the ball stuck under his feet and unable to clear a simple cross at Pittodrie. Fish taking a horrendous touch at Tynecastle instead of clearing his lines leaving a challenge needing made that should never have been required regardless of the terrible decision. A bog standard cross in Dingwall that Marshall, Rocky & Obita inexplicably turn into a tap in for the Ross County player. Those self inflicted lost 6 points would have us joint 5th and a point off 4th, ifs and buts, however it does show our defence is like having one hand tied behind your back this season.

Until we can get to the summer any manager can only hope to win enough points to offset the points the defence cost us most weeks in turning wins into draws and survive until the summer where we can rebuild the defence.