PDA

View Full Version : For those of us watching from the stands

RIP
02-03-2024, 02:41 PM
How do you feel watching the Montgomery style of play?

My son and I are high up in the East. When the team are passing about at the back fans are fairly disengaged.

Once the players pass the half-way line, the chatting and phone reading stops temporarily to watch the action.

We have had a few corners and attacks. But to keep us all engaged for 90 minutes, wouldn't it be better if we mixed it up a bit from Marshall outwards? Ball to channels or up top to put pressure on their centre halves?

Is it just me, or is it all a bit one-dimensional and pedestrian?

Postiga
02-03-2024, 04:04 PM
We won 2-0.

Northernhibee
02-03-2024, 04:06 PM
I think it was Damon Hill who said the best way to win a race was in the slowest time possible and I kind of think it applies to a day like today. Lots of tired legs from a huge game midweek and a big increase in tempo as of late.

The result was all that mattered today and we got that comfortably.

Victor
02-03-2024, 04:08 PM
We won 2-0.

And we are in 6th place!

Carheenlea
02-03-2024, 04:12 PM
I felt similar at Inverness where despite it being goalless I was quite relaxed with the performance and sensed the goals would arrive.

A very solid performance, even with some slack passes thrown in, but as comfortable a 2-0 you’ll see.

seanshow
02-03-2024, 04:18 PM
A turgid 2 nil, if that's where we are at, bring it on :greengrin

Postiga
02-03-2024, 04:31 PM
And we are in 6th place!

Exactly. We won comfortably with Ross county having 2 shots on target over 90 mins. What do some Hibs fans expect 🙃

andrew_dundee
02-03-2024, 04:40 PM
County are a brutal team to watch. First half it felt quite flat and we were letting them dictate the pace/lacking a final touch and misplacing passes.

Good subs and second half we were looking much better. The goal forced them to play a bit more too.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-03-2024, 04:45 PM
At the time of the OP's post his remarks were perfectly reasonable. Although expecting to be fully engaged for 90 minutes is perhaps asking a tad much.

Sparrows tongue
02-03-2024, 04:53 PM
We won.

I can take that any day.

Trinity Hibee
02-03-2024, 04:56 PM
Understand the reasoning for the thread but I’d rather it was a bit dull and we won games. We haven’t done it nearly enough

chrisski33
02-03-2024, 04:57 PM
Understand the reasoning for the thread but I’d rather it was a bit dull and we won games. We haven’t done it nearly enough

Yup 👍

Deeds
02-03-2024, 05:00 PM
I was in the FF today and in the 2nd half especially there was a lack of movement/ options for the players on the ball. Thought Le Fondre did well when he came on and worked hard to create something

SChibs
02-03-2024, 05:01 PM

My son and I are high up in the East. When the team are passing about at the back fans are fairly disengaged.

Once the players pass the half-way line, the chatting and phone reading stops temporarily to watch the action.

We have had a few corners and attacks. But to keep us all engaged for 90 minutes, wouldn't it be better if we mixed it up a bit from Marshall outwards? Ball to channels or up top to put pressure on their centre halves?

The managers job is to win games of football not entertain the fans.

pepe
02-03-2024, 05:02 PM
I think Monty’s philosophy is that it’s harder to regain possession than retain it. I sure I’ve heard Pep talk about this so can’t be completely wrong. We all need to have patience as football is evolving and I thing our manager is evolving with it. 3 points and a clean sheet today chaps. Let’s have some faith in the process

B.H.F.C
02-03-2024, 05:07 PM
We were too slow in the first half but you do need to remember that there are two teams on the park. Half the teams in the league come to ER intent on slowing everything down, stopping the game etc. Their goalie was superb at doing that in the first half and they just sat off us and gave us little space when we stepped forward.

Knew it would be that type of game today after the effort that went in to Wednesday. No surprise that we were livelier with the subs.

Irish_Steve
02-03-2024, 05:53 PM
Before we scored, I noticed that every time we had possession, County adopted a back five.

That's difficult for the best teams to get through, never mind us!

SlickShoes
02-03-2024, 05:56 PM
Ross county were just 11 behind the ball majority of the game and hard to break down, we actually created some great chances we should have taken before eventually scoring. The midfield generally didn’t have a great game, lots of misplaced simple passes throughout the game and that helped make the game feel disjointed because we struggled to get going

Real Emerald
02-03-2024, 05:58 PM

Compared to a few weeks ago we’re Brazil but I get your points. It’s progress.

Crab apple
02-03-2024, 06:02 PM
I was entertained at the first game against them but felt s..t after they made it 2-2. Today was very comfortable and it is a big 3 points given results elsewhere. Give me dull 2-0 wins any day of the week!

TrinityHFC
02-03-2024, 06:03 PM
The managers job is to win games of football not entertain the fans.

Preferably both but at this point I’ll settle for winning some games.

LewysGot2
02-03-2024, 06:12 PM
We were leggy. No getting away from it but we looked sluggish after our derby effort. With that context I wasn't too bothered as long as we won.

There's a few folk round us who are always disengaged no matter what is going on. They're sitting talking to each other for 90 mins and generally not active in supporting what is going on in front of them. It's like what they really are going for is a chat with their pals. Row or two in front of us there's constant chat about Manchester Utd, every minor incident they've read or seen online and dissecting VAR decisions from games other than the one on the park. Each to their own I suppose but at times it's irritating hearing loud chat about everything except the game.

But it's honestly not restricted to games under Monty. These folk were like that in the middle of limbs after derby winning goals under Stubbs etc

Hibbyradge
02-03-2024, 06:15 PM
A turgid 2 nil, if that's where we are at, bring it on :greengrin

I'll say it again , it wasn't turgid.

Greensunshine
02-03-2024, 06:19 PM
Kinda get the OP’s point but incremental improvements are being made. Let’s just see were it can take us.

lugz
02-03-2024, 06:19 PM
Thought the 1st half was very poor, didn't help that Ross County had no intent to attack at all but we need to learn to break such teams down.
2nd half was much better and when we injected some speed into our play things looked a lot better.
The final score is what most would have expected/accepted apart from 1 excellent save from Marshall we were very solid at the back.

CropleyWasGod
02-03-2024, 06:25 PM

:greengrin:greengrin

There's a turgid on the rugby thread as well. Go get 'em!

Libby Hibby
02-03-2024, 06:25 PM

Correct, a word often used in the completely wrong context

Brightside
02-03-2024, 06:28 PM

No. And fans need to get behind the team

greenlex
02-03-2024, 06:28 PM

It’s not one dimensional but today particularly first half was way far too pedestrian. Win is a win but I have that nagging feeling deep down had the goalie not gifted us the first it would have finished goalless with them frustrating us to death aided and abetted by the ref. I can forgive them this after the midweek exertions. It does need to be a fair bit quicker tho.

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 06:36 PM
I think it was Damon Hill who said the best way to win a race was in the slowest time possible and I kind of think it applies to a day like today. Lots of tired legs from a huge game midweek and a big increase in tempo as of late.

The result was all that mattered today and we got that comfortably.

Good sporting analogy. Didn't matter how we won today, it was as long as we did. For what its worth, I thought we won well, in the end. Lots of leggy performances after the Tiny uptempo physicality. Two goals, and a clean sheet, with Dylan Levitt back to form, and the defence having a clean sheet, with big Marsh having a solid game. All good.

Skol
02-03-2024, 06:52 PM
I enjoyed that today. Not as much as Wednesday, but I always felt we would win.

Some things to improve upon for sure but for me Montgomery has improved us

Pretty Boy
02-03-2024, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed today.

I'm not a 'happy clapper'by any means but I was always confident we would win today. Not a classic but it was fine and the attacking intent was obvious imo.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2024, 06:59 PM
Temperature seemed to drop after kick off and got progressively worse

Saw one parent taking a wee lassie out about 3.30 they never came back

Baltic needed some first half action to warm us up

Chip shop Joe
02-03-2024, 07:00 PM
Completely agree with the OP I could not believe how many people were on their phones. At one point my laddie put his head on my shoulder and I asked him if he was tired and he replied no, just bored!

That first half was awful, yes they did sit deep but we had no urgency whatsoever. Every corner or free kick into their box took about 5 minutes with all the players walking to their positions. Second half was a different story, much better tempo.

Delighted with the win and it was important but the first half was awful to watch and the crowd was pretty flat and apathetic!

Nevi_SOL
02-03-2024, 07:06 PM
I honestly prefer the style of play, building up from the back whilst pulling the other team out ( especially like today, when they have all men behind the ball) and a couple of quick breaks. We're creating a lot of opportunities and one day soon it's just going to click and we'll score a load

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 07:08 PM
I honestly prefer the style of play, building up from the back whilst pulling the other team out ( especially like today, when they have all men behind the ball) and a couple of quick breaks. We're creating a lot of opportunities and one day soon it's just going to click and we'll score a load

:agree:

Its higher level football.

TrinityHFC
02-03-2024, 07:15 PM

Its higher level football.

It is just different. We can call it higher level when we are scoring more goals and winning more games.

smff1916
I told my son to watch the movement of the strikers on both sides today as that’s where he plays and he’s playing tomorrow. At half time I said to him just forget what I said mate. He’s 8 years old and this is why it’s the first game I’ve taken him to this season. You’d be better telegramming the passes they take that long to play the obvious ball. Slow as a week in the jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70

Thank you.

Going direct quickly is what they wanted, it would have played into their hands and constant turnover of possession would have allowed them the opportunity to pick us off.

Of course, we’re not Man City so there’ll be times we’re not as good or fast as we would have liked but the concept of what we were trying to do, and did do in the end, is the correct way to play and I like it.

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 07:21 PM
It is just different. We can call it higher level when we are scoring more goals and winning more games.

What would be your preferred style of play. Boot it lump it up from the goalie?

stoneyburn hibs
02-03-2024, 07:23 PM
You could see that they were jaded.
I'll take a positive from today, County were always going to put everyone behind the ball.

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 07:24 PM
Thank you.

Going direct quickly is what they wanted, it would have played into their hands and constant turnover of possession would have allowed them the opportunity to pick us off.

Of course, we’re not Man City so there’ll be times we’re not as good or fast as we would have liked but the concept of what we were trying to do, and did do in the end, is the correct way to play and I like it.

Monty is a step up. A level above.

TrinityHFC
02-03-2024, 07:29 PM

I just don’t think any particular style can be called higher than some others. I’d agree with you that I don’t want to see the ball lumped up the park but there’s plenty other ways to play.

I like to see us play with some pace and energy with lots of chances being created and ideally scoring goals. Whether we do that by lots of passing or by getting the ball forward a little more quickly I’m not hugely fussed about enough to call a particular way a higher level.

stoneyburn hibs
02-03-2024, 07:29 PM

I think we are slowly but surely getting there, playing out from the back.
Managed it ok in midweek.
It's a good benchmark if we can do it in a derby.

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 07:33 PM
I just don’t think any particular style can be called higher than some others. I’d agree with you that I don’t want to see the ball lumped up the park but there’s plenty other ways to play.

I like to see us play with some pace and energy with lots of chances being created and ideally scoring goals. Whether we do that by lots of passing or by getting the ball forward a little more quickly I’m not hugely fussed about enough to call a particular way a higher level.

We did score goals, we won 2-0.

TrinityHFC
02-03-2024, 07:35 PM

Monty is a step up. A level above.

He’s a bit fortunate to still be here after the St Mirren game and our general record up to the last couple of weeks. I think at the AGM Brian M sort of hinted at that saying we absolutely had to win the Dundee game.

Since then he’s been sort of forced to play a different formation than he really wants and he’s got some pretty good new players.

I’m not sure what points to him being any sort of level above anything?

smff1916
02-03-2024, 07:36 PM

We won 2-0 but as a spectacle it’s boring to watch and if that’s intelligent football then i must be illiterate

TrinityHFC
02-03-2024, 07:38 PM

That’s great. At home to Ross Co and the opener coming from a goalkeeper error. I’m happy enough with it but calling it a higher level is something different.

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 07:50 PM
Back to good Hibernian. Yeah, our manager had a good day. A 2-0 win, with his tactics a winner. :thumbsup:

joe breezy
02-03-2024, 07:50 PM
We only seemed to come to life today in the last 15 minutes

I’m not convinced Montgomery told them to go and and play in such a turgid fashion though

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Won comfortably in the end. Played some good stuff too. But why are so ****ing poor in first halfs? Surely that can't be tactics?

JimBHibees
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
We only seemed to come to life today in the last 15 minutes

I’m not convinced Montgomery told them to go and and play in such a turgid fashion though

Genuinely think a lot were feeling the effects from Wednesday. Not a coincidence our most influential player was someone who was a sub in the Derby.

Brightside
02-03-2024, 08:07 PM
We won 2-0 but as a spectacle it’s boring to watch and if that’s intelligent football then i must be illiterate

Nothing boring about today. You must hate the EPL

Hiber-nation
02-03-2024, 08:09 PM

First hour was really boring. Almost every player bar the CBs were miles off it. Jaded. But much better things to come.

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:11 PM

Haha ok. First half was great to watch. Second half we just edged it against hammer throwers. If you’re happy with that happy with the manager, the tactics and the way the seasons going up
Until now then good luck to you.

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 08:15 PM

Nothing boring about today?? No way you're being serious with that?

Bakerman
02-03-2024, 08:18 PM
Haha ok. First half was great to watch. Second half we just edged it against hammer throwers. If you’re happy with that happy with the manager, the tactics and the way the seasons going up
Until now then good luck to you.

Hi Naibadges. :greengrin

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:18 PM

lol EPL. Very clever. So obscure it was barely noticeable [emoji106]

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:27 PM
Hi Naibadges. :greengrin

[emoji2357]

B.H.F.C
02-03-2024, 08:29 PM

The first half was grim. It was also unsurprising, it always happens after a big game during the week.

It was a day for getting the three points and we did that. Wasn’t a particularly good watch though.

Brightside
02-03-2024, 08:29 PM
Nothing boring about today?? No way you're being serious with that?

Playing against a compact 2 banks of 4. Mid block. Very hard to break down. Once we got the goal they had to open up and then we battered them. It’s how football works.

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Playing against a compact 2 banks of 4. Mid block. Very hard to break down. Once we got the goal they had to open up and then we battered them. It’s how football works.

I’m glad we’ve got you to explain it pep

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 08:34 PM

How does that make it not boring though?

darwenhibby
02-03-2024, 08:41 PM
It was frustrating to watch the first half.
Agree the players were tired after a tough derby which they were robbed.
Remember RC came for a draw and were horrible to watch
Wouldn’t be sorry to see them go down.

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:46 PM
It was frustrating to watch the first half.
Agree the players were tired after a tough derby which they were robbed.
Remember RC came for a draw and were horrible to watch
Wouldn’t be sorry to see them go down.

Agree , Ross county were playing for a draw, they could well go down. We still managed to make hard work of it though. What’s miller all about ? Boyle ineffective , rocky ended up having a not bad game but still a bombscare at times in first half that’s to name a few I could go on its piss poor

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Agree , Ross county were playing for a draw, they could well go down. We still managed to make hard work of it though. What’s miller all about ? Boyle ineffective , rocky ended up having a not bad game but still a bombscare at times in first half that’s to name a few I could go on its piss poor

Rocky a bombscare 😂

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:50 PM
Rocky a bombscare [emoji23]

Did you not see the first half likes ?

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:52 PM

To be fair to explain it I mean when he’s going forward his passing etc not his defending

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 08:53 PM

I'm struggling to believe you did if you're describing Rocky as a bombscare.

Interested to think what made you think that in the first half?

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:54 PM
I'm struggling to believe you did if you're describing Rocky as a bombscare.

Interested to think what made you think that in the first half?

When he ran the ball out on the left basically tackled his team mate ? Forget who it was

Hiber-nation
02-03-2024, 08:56 PM
When he ran the ball out on the left basically tackled his team mate ? Forget who it was

Obita but a bombscare moment? Behave.

JohnM1875
02-03-2024, 08:56 PM

The wee weird miscommunication with Obita early doors? Wasnt great aye. But surely bombscare for that is harsh as?

smff1916
02-03-2024, 08:57 PM
Obita but a bombscare moment? Behave.

You think he looks good playing out from the back ? Bombscare maybe over the top admittedly

Sparrows tongue
02-03-2024, 09:05 PM

:aok:

Donegal Hibby
02-03-2024, 09:50 PM
I think 3 games in a week and one being the derby took its toil on us abit today . Monty did say some of the players had a few knocks , Moriah Welsh and Miller being two he mentioned though we got the 3 points even though we weren't at our best which is the main thing .

Whilst not the best performance today in our last 3 games we have restricted our opponents to something like only 5 shots on target while having 21 ourselves which i think is encouraging. Even though we should have had 9 , 7 points isn't bad either .