PDA

View Full Version : Monty

Pages : [1] 2

Up-the-slope
28-02-2024, 08:51 PM
While 1-1 is a travesty for a lot of reasons, Monty has shown that with decent signings he can coach a team to go and take the game to the opposition.

The number of chances and shots in a derby is more than I can remember, fine margins will turn that into the kind of results we deserve and are looking for

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 08:52 PM
If we had a striker like Cummings we’d have pissed that.

Scottie
28-02-2024, 08:53 PM
Or Shankland :agree:

Well done Monty tonight our team showed up and we’re robbed.

hibeedonald
28-02-2024, 08:53 PM

Cummings derby goals were mostly against terrible Hearts teams… no chance he’d make the starting 11 today

Torto7
28-02-2024, 08:54 PM

Would we? He's failed in the Premier League constantly.

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-02-2024, 08:55 PM
I am 100% behind the manager

Unseen work
28-02-2024, 08:56 PM
Been a big improvement last couple of weeks.

But, he needs to beat Ross County twice and Livi. Something I wouldn’t expect us to do.

HH81
Tactics spot on all game and will be pissed off we didn't win.

hibsbollah
Deserves credit for his team dominating proceedings tonight.

Gatecrasher
28-02-2024, 08:57 PM
Definite signs of recovery over the last few games but this needs to translate into results to save our season. There are some massive games coming up.

Vault Boy
28-02-2024, 08:57 PM
I was going to start a thread titled ‘progress’, but this one covers it nicely.

We needed to see significant improvement after what was a truly awful run of form - and I think we’re starting to come good on that. We can’t buy luck at the moment, but despite that we’re starting to pick up a few more points and look like a side with direction and identity.

It’s far from the finished product, but I’m developing more faith that my gut instinct about NM was correct, and that he’ll get a real tune out of us soon enough. He’s got us coming away from Tynecastle against a Hearts side who have run away with third place going ‘****, we were robbed of a win there’ - that’s easier said than done.

Onwards and upwards.

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 08:58 PM
Cummings derby goals were mostly against terrible Hearts teams… no chance he’d make the starting 11 today

He can score goals, he’d easily start up top.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 08:58 PM
Once again, we were masters of our own downfall.

Even though it’s never a penalty in anyone’s book, we gave the referee a decision to make.

I’m genuinely gutted we never took all three points tonight. Quite a few very good individual performances with only one or two really not at it.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2024, 08:59 PM
Killed us offensively with his subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalkeith Hibee
28-02-2024, 08:59 PM
I actually feel really sorry for him as he set the tram up to win and we were the better team. Never a penalty and even VAR agreed.

A win tonight would have done wonders for him and the players

04Sauzee
28-02-2024, 09:00 PM
Once again, we were masters of our own downfall.

Even though it’s never a penalty in anyone’s book, we gave the referee a decision to make.

I’m genuinely gutted we never took all three points tonight. Quite a few very good individual performances with only one or two really not at it.

When you give the referee a decision to make and we have VAR, you expect the referee to make the correct decision.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2024, 09:01 PM

His goals were against hearts teams who skooshed the championship then finished 3rd.

LunasBoots
28-02-2024, 09:01 PM
Seen big improvements under Monty, the standard of player we now have has played a part in that, as someone who wanted him gone I've now changed my mind.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 09:02 PM
I am 100% behind the manager

He still has a job on his hands to get top six but he gets my backing in the meantime.

neil7908
Defence needs major surgery in the summer and we need a goal scorer but we aren't far off being a very good team.

Nicho87
Wasn’t sure about Monty.

Defo seen a massive improvement since he changed his tactics. That’s still my only concern in his stubborness, when Shankland inevitably leaves god help them

They’re brutal

Iain G
28-02-2024, 09:03 PM
He can score goals, he’d easily start up top.

He would be about 6th choice up front in this team.

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 09:03 PM
we gave the referee a decision to make.
i

We didn’t. A player fell over near to one of ours, VAR called the ref over and he decided to call a penalty for it.

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 09:04 PM
He would be about 6th choice up front in this team.

He’s leaps and bounds ahead of Vente in goal scoring ability.

Iain G
28-02-2024, 09:05 PM
He’s leaps and bounds ahead of Vente in goal scoring ability.

But Vente would still be ahead of him, as would ALF, and Boyle and Moalida, and Youan, and McKirdy, and Tavares, and probably Will Fish, Campbell and David Marshall 😁

He has found his level and it's not in the top league in Scotland.

Kato
28-02-2024, 09:06 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOr he keeps two knackered players who still reaching match fitness on the park and we end up losing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 09:07 PM
When you give the referee a decision to make and we have VAR, you expect the referee to make the correct decision.

You can expect the ref to make the right calls but I don’t. These guys are so poor it’s actually beyond belief. There’s fans that have gave up! It’s killing our game!

A special mention must go to that diving wee ******* Vargas! 10 out of 10 you cheating little prick! Your everything that’s honking about the modern game!

Him and Clancy both need to be called out!

GreenCastle
28-02-2024, 09:07 PM
Next 3 league games are all winnable.

Ross county x 2 and Livingston home.

He needs to go on a winning run.

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 09:08 PM
I think we seen today why we want to play from the back to - up until we had to bring on Youan and Levitt who remain part of the reason we are bottom six, we controlled that. Hearts were stuck to trying to hit us on the counter and with another transfer window to sort out the problems we would have been out of sight.

Unseen work
28-02-2024, 09:08 PM

I wouldn’t have took Moriah Welsh off as I thought he still had energy - I imagine that was one of those sport science calls with him being at his max and tiring

Marcondes to me looked shattered, there was one in the corner a couple of minutes before where he put his hands on his knees after losing the ball. No shame in that, really intense game and he’s not played much lately

The Modfather
28-02-2024, 09:09 PM
We will finish top 6 comfortably, but probably given ourselves too much to do to catch Killie, and maybe St Mirren too. Certainly with the wins we throw away simply because of bad individual mistakes by the defence.

I think we’re looking like being close to the real deal since we’ve brought in Maolida, Emiliano & Moria Welsh. Plus Boyle & Miller being available again. I’m really enjoying life under Montgomery, the St Mirren game was a real watershed IMO. Another window to fix the defence and exciting to see where we can go.

Folk can hark back to 1 win in 10 or December & January if they want. Will they also acknowledge we were 10th when came in and are now 7th and looking good to secure the top 6 as a starting point.

Genuinely interested to hear his 2 or 3 biggest critics and if they see improvement since St Mirren and their current thoughts on Montgomery.

Iain G
Or he keeps two knackered players who still reaching match fitness on the park and we end up losing.

Maybe could have gone for Jair instead of Elie would be the only thought?

Bringing Nectar on helped us especially after we lost the energy of Moriah-Welsh, with Levitt the only real midfield option.

Since452
Makes you wonder how much points we've wasted prior to him changing tactics. Playing much better now. Long may it continue.

Crab apple
I'm still not convinced by him but Monty has done well the last few games. We bossed that tonight and would have won but for Clancy's cheating.

JammyDoidger
28-02-2024, 09:10 PM
Since he changed the shape which is what we all were shouting from the rooftops for, we've been much better. No coincidence. Moriah Welsh, Marcondes and maolida are all quality too right enough. Much better.

One Day Soon
Bought himself time and definite signs of improvement. We should be taking 9 points from the next three games and a minimum of 7.

Callum_62
I wouldn’t have took Moriah Welsh off as I thought he still had energy - I imagine that was one of those sport science calls with him being at his max and tiring

Marcondes to me looked shattered, there was one in the corner a couple of minutes before where he put his hands on his knees after losing the ball. No shame in that, really intense game and he’s not played much latelyWelsh also had a knock

I noticed marcondes at that corner and thought he had to come off

You can argue about who he brought on but at the end of the day we didn't give away much to lose the point

Not sure about killing us offensively - youan created a great chance and we had lots of "should have done better" when in behind them

Marcondes and Myziane tiring is what changed us offensively

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

bringbackbenny

Marcondes to me looked shattered, there was one in the corner a couple of minutes before where he put his hands on his knees after losing the ball. No shame in that, really intense game and he’s not played much lately

I think Moriah Welsh took a knock, limping walking off?

chrisski33
28-02-2024, 09:11 PM
I was dreading tonight's game but think we are seeing signs of improvement with Monty, just hope we kick on and get into top six

Hibby70
28-02-2024, 09:11 PM
Moriah Welsh took a knock and struggled after that.

The subs have to do better - but a lot of players were tiring towards the end and were slack on the ball.

All in all a much improved team performance, building nicely for the cup final in May.

Northernhibee
28-02-2024, 09:14 PM
Makes you wonder how much points we've wasted prior to him changing tactics. Playing much better now. Long may it continue.

Genuinely think that no matter what shape you played with the pre January window squad the weaknesses would remain. A sixteen year old as first choice RB once Miller went to the national team FFS.

Onceinawhile
28-02-2024, 09:15 PM

He scored 2 vs a hearts team that finished 3rd or 4th in the league above us in 2016.

Then scored against a hearts team in the league above us in 2017.

e2los
28-02-2024, 09:16 PM
I was dreading tonight's game but think we are seeing signs of improvement with Monty, just hope we kick on and get into top six

Spot on, hoping we also get to Hampden.

WhileTheChief..
28-02-2024, 09:17 PM
Since he changed the shape which is what we all were shouting from the rooftops for, we've been much better. No coincidence. Moriah Welsh, Marcondes and maolida are all quality too right enough. Much better.

:top marks

If he sorts the defence in the summer, we can look forward with some optimism.

Iain G
28-02-2024, 09:18 PM
Was positive to see us go quick and go long at times and mix it up as to how we get out from the back, makes it less predictable as to how we will play. Some really great quick breaks at speed and some nice once touch stuff in that first half.

Kato
28-02-2024, 09:19 PM
Since he changed the shape which is what we all were shouting from the rooftops for, we've been much better. No coincidence. Moriah Welsh, Marcondes and maolida are all quality too right enough. Much better.Way better since he changed. Making way more chances as well, some of which players should be taking but he can't control that.

Stubbsy90+2
28-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Genuinely think that no matter what shape you played with the pre January window squad the weaknesses would remain. A sixteen year old as first choice RB once Miller went to the national team FFS.

We were hardly setting the heather alight before they left. In fact people were declaring that Boyle was finished and that Miller wasn’t good enough. Once they left for international duty, not having them was then declared a huge part of the reason we were crap.

The change in system has been massive. It was clear as day the previous system was ludicrous. The change in performances is no surprise. If we went back to playing it with this team we’d be much worse than we’ve been recently.

Playing that system has unfortunately left us far too much to do for third and likely too much for 4th. At least it appears he’s learned his lesson.

Need to start getting wins now, starting Saturday which really is must win.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2024, 09:24 PM

Moriah-Welsh was gubbed. When his number went up he sat down because he was that gubbed. If Amos had been on the bench he’d have been off sooner IMO.

Keepthefaith
28-02-2024, 09:25 PM

exactly this - how folk can't see its the much improved quality we've brought in that's made the difference is baffling. seems like folk want to take credit for saying its down to the shape, when in reality the same folk were too hasty in being critical one match post jan transfer window, slating both monty and the whole recruitment.

not only have a good manager, but a good coaching team and now the resources to put a great team on the park. good times ahead and I do believe we can achieve much much more with Monty et al at the helm.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2024, 09:26 PM

Not many. Players the biggest difference.

ancient hibee
28-02-2024, 09:32 PM
We didn’t. A player fell over near to one of ours, VAR called the ref over and he decided to call a penalty for it.

That’s wrong. Ref gave it .VAR called him over to reconsider it. He still gave it.

sauzee1989
28-02-2024, 09:35 PM
He got his tactics right tonight, to be fair to him.

hhibs
28-02-2024, 09:37 PM
maybe could have gone for jair instead of elie would be the only thought?

Bringing nectar on helped us especially after we lost the energy of moriah-welsh, with levitt the only real midfield option.

alf

GreenCastle
28-02-2024, 09:37 PM
Not many. Players the biggest difference.

It took him very close to being sacked to suddenly play 3 in the middle.

Plenty of games we chucked points away playing 4-4-2 or similar.

The Spaceman
28-02-2024, 09:38 PM
We’ve looked really good for a few games consistently now. Marcondes, Moriah W and Maolida look brilliant and suddenly his system works with them in the team. We just need to sort out our defence and we are good to go (Obita and Rocky had good games tonight though).

ChilliEater
28-02-2024, 09:40 PM

I expect you to back him now as strongly as you were criticising him previously, as he has met your criteria for being a good manager.

From the Ian Murray thread:
"Rovers have been on a horrendous run but they've pulled it out the bag in their biggest game of the season just as they did at Tannadice. With one game they've kept themselves in the title race. That's the sign of a good manager."

Swap Rovers for Hibs and Title for Top 6, and the Dundee game puts him straight into good manager territory. I look forward to your new found positivity :aok:

The Modfather
28-02-2024, 09:40 PM

Would a 3 of Newell, Levitt & Jeggo have produced the same performance Newell, Moriah-Welsh & Emiliano did tonight?

Greenio
28-02-2024, 09:43 PM

MW was struggling, he pulled up just before the sub and was hobbling off.

Agree re Marcondes.

Gutted not to take the win there. They were honking and are slipping big time. Never a pen in a million years and everyone knows it, them included.

Also, what's the Marcondes song. "He's magic you know (something) Emiliano."

hibsbollah
28-02-2024, 09:43 PM
Would a 3 of Newell, Levitt & Jeggo have produced the same performance Newell, Moriah-Welsh & Emiliano did tonight?

:agree: thats it in a nutshell. Players are almost always what make the difference. And we now have the best players we've had for a long time.

Hibeesdaft16
28-02-2024, 09:45 PM
I didn't understand why he took Vente off for a defender but his team selection tonight was good and we pissed all over them bar the win because of a ****ing scandalous call.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2024, 09:46 PM

It also took the signing of two very good midfielders.

Skol
28-02-2024, 09:49 PM
There are still people desperately looking for negatives

I thought we played very well tonight and look pretty useful. We dont make enough of the chances we have and dont get the breaks. The VAR decision was a shocket

ancient hibee
28-02-2024, 09:51 PM

I thought we played very well tonight and look pretty useful. We dont make enough of the chances we have and dont get the breaks. The VAR decision was a shocket

The referee's decision was a shocker. Clearly VAR wanted him to change it.

Forza Fred
28-02-2024, 09:58 PM
I didn't understand why he took Vente off for a defender but his team selection tonight was good and we pissed all over them bar the win because of a ****ing scandalous call.

You must have watched from the wrong end……he didn’t take Vente off for a defender.

Unless you consider Youan a defender, that is

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:01 PM

This 100%.

Taking off Marcondes and putting on Triantis is a scandalous decision in itself. But to take off our best corner taker, when we are ABOUT to take a corner? And then Boyle hits first man with the corner.:rolleyes: MArcondes was raging he was getting taken off - no justification for it whatsoever.

Also he should have put Youan up front when he took Vente off instead of switching Maolida with him.

Just heard Monty's interview too on Sportscene - FFS will he actually just have the balls to properly slam a disgraceful decision?

Honestly I'm so pissed off tonight - good performance, battered Hearts overall, but its another missed opportunity. The referee has shafted us but the manager has to take some blame.

Callum_62
28-02-2024, 10:03 PM
This 100%.

Taking off Marcondes and putting on Triantis is a scandalous decision in itself. But to take off our best corner taker, when we are ABOUT to take a corner? And then Boyle hits first man with the corner.:rolleyes: MArcondes was raging he was getting taken off - no justification for it whatsoever.

Also he should have put Youan up front when he took Vente off instead of switching Maolida with him.

Just heard Monty's interview too on Sportscene - FFS will he actually just have the balls to properly slam a disgraceful decision?Marcondes was absolutely goosed

He wasn't raging at all after being subbed

I don't get what you want - him to go full Lennon and banned for the next crucial games?

It's obvious to all he was angry about the decision but he didn't say enough to get into bother

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:05 PM
Moriah-Welsh was gubbed. When his number went up he sat down because he was that gubbed. If Amos had been on the bench he’d have been off sooner IMO.

Marcondes was raging he got taken off - didn't look like a guy that was knackered to me.

Not In The Know
28-02-2024, 10:05 PM
Tough but true, Levitt and Youan (previous starters) weekend us when they came on.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:06 PM
Marcondes was absolutely goosed

He was livid - I was staring right at him. Threw his arms up in the air.

Callum_62
28-02-2024, 10:07 PM
He was livid - I was staring right at him. Threw his arms up in the air.Was that after he prised them from his knees? [emoji23]

He was absolutely deid on his feet

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:07 PM
Monty may well have bought himself more time but he really needs to polish up his interview technique which is a huge part of convincing supporters that your the man to lead us.

I can’t say he’s very convincing and seems to struggle to string a coherent sentence together.
As long as we keep seeing improvement on the park, that’s all that really matters for now but the Wolves that were circling haven’t gone too far I fear.

Keepthefaith
28-02-2024, 10:08 PM
This 100%.

Just heard Monty's interview too on Sportscene - FFS will he actually just have the balls to properly slam a disgraceful decision?

Honestly I'm so pissed off tonight - good performance, battered Hearts overall, but its another missed opportunity. The referee has shafted us but the manager has to take some blame.

to acknowledge a good performance, acknowledge we battered them and STILL end your post questioning the manager says a lot about you. absolutely no need for negativity tonight, is it really too much to accept we were shafted by the ref and finish by praising the manager for setting up a team to play so well and be wrongly denied the win?

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:08 PM

I don't get what you want - him to go full Lennon and banned for the next crucial games?

It's obvious to all he was angry about the decision but he didn't say enough to get into bother

Who cares if he gets into "bother"? Call out a disgraceful decision properly so the full focus is on it. Honestly the fact you are disagreeing with me is always a good thing. I actually cant think of anyone on this sites opinion that I respect less.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:09 PM
Was that after he prised them from his knees? [emoji23]

He was absolutely deid on his feet

Utter bollocks.

LaMotta
Monty may well have bought himself more time but he really needs to polish up his interview technique which is a huge part of convincing supporters that your the man to lead us.

I can’t say he’s very convincing and seems to struggle to string a coherent sentence together.
As long as we keep seeing improvement on the park, that’s all that really matters for now but the Wolves that were circling haven’t gone too far I fear.

:agree:

CapitalGreen
Marcondes was raging he got taken off - didn't look like a guy that was knackered to me.

A minute or so before he was hooked he tried to sprint and couldn’t, he was absolutely burst.

Callum_62
Who cares if he gets into "bother"? Call out a disgraceful decision properly so the full focus is on it. Honestly the fact you are disagreeing with me is always a good thing. I actually cant think of anyone on this sites opinion that I respect less.Haha..fair doos mate

Classy as always

hibsbollah
This 100%.

Balls. The subs made sense. As angry as we were about the decision, a point away at hearts isnt a bad result and they were threatening at that point.

He had us set up well. Motivated. Undone by a few mental errors and a scandalous refereeing decision. It would be classy to give some credit.

Centre Hawf
Tough but true, Levitt and Youan (previous starters) weekend us when they came on.

I actually felt near the end if we were going to do something it was through Elie, the only issue was he was being his daft self and slowing it up and losing it at times so the same could be said for them too.

For me I think I'd have liked to have seen Vente stay on the park and in the box but he seemed to want to go for the counter attack/in behind approach towards the end which I'm never sure really works at Tyne considering how tight and deep they can be.

Callum_62
28-02-2024, 10:12 PM
Utter bollocks.It's not

A corner a minute or so before he was subbed he was literaly crouched over hands on his knees

I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw that and it will absolutely be backed up by the stats on the monitors they wear

Ofcourse you might see the player throw his hands up which obviously renders him raring to go for another lung busting 20 minutes

LaMotta
to acknowledge a good performance, acknowledge we battered them and STILL end your post questioning the manager says a lot about you. absolutely no need for negativity tonight, is it really too much to accept we were shafted by the ref and finish by praising the manager for setting up a team to play so well and be wrongly denied the win?

It's possible to do both. It's another missed opportunity in our pathetic derby history. Monty doesn't have enough credit in the bank for his errors to be ignored - I think there were errors tonight and its its fair to call them out.

Keepthefaith

would that be yam in wolves clothing - you couldn't be any more obvious. it must hurt to know you lot were played off the park. no justification for a true hibs fan to criticise him for his post match interview. he was emotional at being denied a deserved win, unfortunately for us Clancy was making sure he'd play his part in helping you to get a point. away to kickback eh?

BILLYHIBS
28-02-2024, 10:13 PM
Found a few of his substitutions this season to be strange tbh as if he is doing it just for the sake of it

Remember all the tinkering about with centre backs in the second half of games earlier in the season?

Tonight just played into Hearts’ hands we were on the ascendency pushing for a goal and effectively pushing for a sixth place finish Hearts are in third place and happy to slow the game down kill the game and take the point so why take off your best most dangerous creative player ?

The player’s reaction tells you all you need to know

Keepthefaith
28-02-2024, 10:14 PM
It's possible to do both. It's another missed opportunity in our pathetic derby history. Monty doesn't have enough credit in the bank for his errors to be ignored - I think there were errors tonight and it'sits fair to call them out.

my point is that in all of the negativity around this place, it takes quite some character trait to want to highlight negatives on what was otherwise a positive night. I'm just sick of folk actively seeking opportunities out to put the manager down. it may be possible, but IMO it's not needed and uncalled for. maybe you just like the misery eh?

hibsbollah
28-02-2024, 10:14 PM
would that be yam in wolves clothing - you couldn't be any more obvious. it must hurt to know you lot were played off the park. no justification for a true hibs fan to criticise him for his post match interview. he was emotional at being denied a deserved win, unfortunately for us Clancy was making sure he'd play his part in helping you to get a point. away to kickback eh?

I thought his interview was fine. Not that i think it matters as much as what goes on in the dressing room regardless, but it was angry, spirited and clear.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:15 PM
Found a few of his substitutions this season to be strange tbh as if he is doing it just for the sake of it

Remember all the tinkering about with centre backs in the second half of games earlier in the season?

Tonight just played into Hearts’ hands we were on the ascendency pushing for a goal and effectively pushing for a sixth place finish Hearts are in third place and happy to slow the game down kill the game and take the point so why take off your best most dangerous and creative player ?

The player’s reaction tells you all you need to know

:agree:Marcondes was clearly pissed off - loads around us at the game talking about it.

Brightside
28-02-2024, 10:15 PM
We played some great stuff. Mental if anyone doesn’t want to stick and invest in this.

Brightside
28-02-2024, 10:16 PM
:agree:Marcondes was clearly pissed off - loads around us at the game talking about it.

Emi would play till he dropped but was clearly struggling.

Kato
28-02-2024, 10:17 PM
I thought his interview was fine. Not that i think it matters as much as what goes on in the dressing room regardless, but it was angry, spirited and clear.NM was obviously raging and was trying to avoid going tonto.

Nicho87
28-02-2024, 10:18 PM
Ellie Youan is like that boy you played football with at primary school

The one that didn’t pass but when he does your marked

Such a frustrating player at times

The one time he did pass i don’t know mailoda missed the header

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:19 PM
my point is that in all of the negativity around this place, it takes quite some character trait to want to highlight negatives on what was otherwise a positive night. I'm just sick of folk actively seeking opportunities out to put the manager down. it may be possible, but IMO it's not needed and uncalled for. maybe you just like the misery eh?

Misery? LOL Misery is our our utterly pathetic derby record. But here you are saying we were unlucky again as if there was nothing we could do better to actually win the game? Poor unlucky Hibs for 50 years eh. I'm sick of that mentality.

Bakerman
28-02-2024, 10:19 PM

As much as I'm disappointed at not getting the win, mostly due to Clancy, and some desperate off the line clearances from hearts etc, we were definitely the better team. Marcondes is a fantastic player, very classy, and there were many other very good performances tonight. We certainly deserved to win the match.

Clancy must have known when analysing var, that it was at best a dubious decision, and would be at the very least a controversial one. We would never have got that given for us against hearts.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:24 PM
Balls. The subs made sense. As angry as we were about the decision, a point away at hearts isnt a bad result and they were threatening at that point.

He had us set up well. Motivated. Undone by a few mental errors and a scandalous refereeing decision. It would be classy to give some credit.

I clearly gave credit in my post for us battering them - it would be far more balanced of some people to admit that we have ****ed up a game we should have won rather than pretend criticism isn't allowed.

chrisski33
28-02-2024, 10:24 PM

Nick picking at its highest. Who goves a ***** what his interview technique is like for tv. His talk in the dressing room and training is more important.

hibsbollah
28-02-2024, 10:29 PM
I clearly gave credit in my post for us battering them - it would be far more balanced of some people to admit that we have ****ed up a game we should have won rather than pretend criticism isn't allowed.

That last line was pretty funny, you seem to be channeling your inner Donald Trump.

All opinions are obviously ALLOWED, i just think yours are either influenced by your months long hating on our manager or too much drink. Not really interested which. And dont cry about it when folk call you out on them.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:29 PM

Nae bother lad. If that’s your opinion then fine I’ll respect that you disagree but calling me out as a Jambo reeks of you being half pished or having nae class. Which is it?

matty_f
28-02-2024, 10:30 PM
Is early to really claim the decision was vindicated, but one team panicked and sacked their manager when he was struggling, and have got no better (Aberdeen) while another stuck by their manager and have improved.

Makes you think.

WestStandWillie
28-02-2024, 10:32 PM
Took a while but starting to see green shoots.

The buzz is coming back to Easter Road. Just hope it keeps up. 3 winnable league matches coming up.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Nick picking at its highest. Who goves a ***** what his interview technique is like for tv. His talk in the dressing room and training is more important.

I do. When I listen to our manager being interviewed, I want him to come across well and I want him to not only convince the players he’s the man to lead our club but I want him to convince me and every other Hibs supporter. Surely tae **** you get that?

LaMotta
That last line was pretty funny, you seem to be channeling your inner Donald Trump.

All opinions are obviously ALLOWED, i just think yours are either influenced by your months long hating on our manager or too much drink. Not really interested which. And dont cry about it when folk call you out on them.

You are the one crying because some people have had the temerity to criticise the manager.

Poor analysis in general from you though, because I haven't been hating the manager for months, nor have I been on the drink:aok:

matty_f
I do. When I listen to our manager being interviewed, I want him to come across well and I want him to not only convince the players he’s the man to lead our club but I want him to convince me and every other Hibs supporter. Surely tae **** you get that?

Thought his interview was good after the game, to be honest.

Centre Hawf
28-02-2024, 10:35 PM
Is early to really claim the decision was vindicated, but one team panicked and sacked their manager when he was struggling, and have got no better (Aberdeen) while another stuck by their manager and have improved.

Makes you think.

Actually a sensible way of looking at things at the moment. And I say that as someone who gave the manager an ultimatum of win vs Dundee or go.

Leithenhibby
28-02-2024, 10:36 PM

Legs were starting to look heavy on some, top shift and very happy with the effort but, we should have done them…

Glory Glory

wookie70
28-02-2024, 10:37 PM
Marcondes was raging he got taken off - didn't look like a guy that was knackered to me. I thought he was raging as he wanted to go off at the side the corner was being taken and Clancy made him walk across the pitch. He looked knackered to me and I'm sure the sub would have been Amos if he had been fit. For all the talk about our bench being strong we lost the momentum when the subs started going on. The players coming off had ran their race though but we don't have as good a bench as we could have albeit injuries play a part in that.

hibsbollah
28-02-2024, 10:37 PM

He was quite rightly quietly raging. I thought he struck the right balance between showing that anger and not saying anything that would get him on a charge. If we decide to take it further, thats a matter for upstairs in the next few days, not the manager at a post match press conference.

GreenCastle
28-02-2024, 10:38 PM

Of course not. Better players help.

Bur earlier when he played Levitt and Newell it was a receipt for disaster.

Next 3 league games should all be wins - playing 2nd bottom and bottom.

No excuses get 9 points and into top 6.

Rangers game who knows but think it could be close.

CL0762
28-02-2024, 10:38 PM
Marcondes was holding his groin and limping about 5-10 mins before he went off.

Thought maybe ALF/Mayenda could’ve been the change and really went for it so that’s only the mild criticism I’d have of the manager tonight but it would be really clutching at straws.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:39 PM

What are you, the positivity Police? 🤣🤣🤣

Give it a rest! Or maybe try and respect others peoples opinions, peace out ✌️

wookie70
28-02-2024, 10:39 PM
Thought his interview was good after the game, to be honest. First time in a long time I have actually enjoyed his interview. He isn't the most eloquent and just repeats teh same thing over and over usually. This time there was a bit of passion and while he could have said the penalty was an appalling decision directly I think he made the point and was very strong in saying we were by far the better team. That vote after the podcast wasn't far wrong as we should have won and ended up with a draw

Stevie Reid
28-02-2024, 10:40 PM
There’s absolutely no question that the change of shape has been huge - players look much more comfortable and we are much more of a threat, whilst not getting overrun in midfield.

There’s also no question that the January signings are making a big impact and look very good. We’ve also looked much better at the back in the last couple of games - I must give Rocky his due, I’d have had Hanlon back in but he’s been very good since he got back.

Decent bit of momentum building since the Celtic game, and we are much better to watch - need the wins to come regularly now though. Let’s keep this going on Saturday.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:40 PM

Fair enough mate but it’s a part of his game he needs to polish up on or people will see it as a weakness.

Smartie
28-02-2024, 10:41 PM

I’m not all that mad on his interviews. He tends to ramble and repeat himself etc.

Of greater importance is that rather than being able to churn out glib sound bytes in an entertaining fashion that has us all hanging on his every word, he appears to have overseen a quite drastic improvement in the performances of our team, which is frankly all I care about. I’m not really one to hang on a manager’s every word and if you could give me someone who is substance over style, I’d take that every single day of the week.

Libby Hibby
28-02-2024, 10:42 PM

No he wasn’t.

Callum_62
28-02-2024, 10:44 PM
No he wasn’t.Careful.... [emoji23]

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:44 PM
No he wasn’t.

Yes he was :na na:

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 10:45 PM
Careful.... [emoji23]

Oooooooh careful :hilarious

SaulGoodman
28-02-2024, 10:53 PM
We need a win on Saturday. Then I can start looking at things more positively.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:55 PM
I’m not all that mad on his interviews. He tends to ramble and repeat himself etc.

Of greater importance is that rather than being able to churn out glib sound bytes in an entertaining fashion that has us all hanging on his every word, he appears to have overseen a quite drastic improvement in the performances of our team, which is frankly all I care about. I’m not really one to hang on a manager’s every word and if you could give me someone who is substance over style, I’d take that every single day of the week.

Agree with you to a certain extent but I’d say when things are going well he’ll get away with his rambling and repeating himself and not finishing his sentences but when things aren’t so great then that’s when supporters will use it against him.

He’s done well the last few games, he’s changed the shape of the team and with the help of some real quality recent short term signings it looks like he may well have turned a corner. All I’m saying is that he really could do with polishing up his interview technique. He didn’t come across at all well tonight.
Had that interview been on the back of a pumping then the Wolves would most certainly be circling once again.

LewysGot2
28-02-2024, 10:55 PM
Marcondes was holding his groin and limping about 5-10 mins before he went off.

Thought maybe ALF/Mayenda could’ve been the change and really went for it so that’s only the mild criticism I’d have of the manager tonight but it would be really clutching at straws.
Seemed to be his hip flexor muscle on his right hip. I thought he'd maybe be going off sooner. He tried to loosen it a bit but he was obviously feeling it.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2024, 10:57 PM

Makes you think.

Aberdeen sacked their manager this time last year Matty, won nine of their last 15 games (including seven in a row) and finished three points above Hearts when they’d been ten behind.

You can see why they thought it was worth trying again, they obviously thought that someone else could get more out of the squad there. Last year they brought the right man in, and he did just that - but it’s looking like they’ve made the wrong appointment.

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 10:57 PM
We need a win on Saturday. Then I can start looking at things more positively.

That’s my thinking. We need top six. Anything less is a major fail.

Murphys Touch
28-02-2024, 10:58 PM
Yes there has been a change of shape but also style.

We are going more direct at times and I applaud that. Stretch the game and now you have good footballers player 20/30 yards up the pitch rather than in their own box.

It’s not long ball but it’s playing in the right areas. We look a different team!

Does he need results? Absolutely, Monty will know that. I wanted him gone a few weeks ago yet here I am disappointed with a point in Aberdeen, a point from Tynie and a shambolic refereeing performance with 1-2 against Celtic.

Not many times in 30+ years I’ve felt disappointed with those results

Greensunshine
28-02-2024, 11:02 PM

We are going more direct at times and I applaud that. Stretch the game and now you have good footballers player 20/30 yards up the pitch rather than in their own box.

It’s not long ball but it’s playing in the right areas. We look a different team!

I said the same thing earlier today, it’s horses for courses. We were far too predictable and now we are employing different tactics for every game. It’s working so far 🤞

B.H.F.C
28-02-2024, 11:02 PM

I never really noticed him raging to be honest. I wouldn’t have taken him off when he was about to take a corner right enough.

I didn’t really think the changes we made killed us as suggested earlier. There has been times when Montgomery has made some questionable subs, I thought his subs were crap at the weekend. But tonight I thought they were mainly down to fitness. Moriah-Welsh needed to go off before he did (and would have if Amos had been there) and I didn’t really think Marcondes was in it second half.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 11:05 PM

Does he need results? Absolutely, Monty will know that. I wanted him gone a few weeks ago yet here I am disappointed with a point in Aberdeen, a point from Tynie and a shambolic refereeing performance with 1-2 against Celtic.

Not many times in 30+ years I’ve felt disappointed with that we results

I said the same thing earlier today, it’s horses for courses. We were far too predictable and now we are employing different tactics for every game. It’s working so far ��

Agree to a certain extent - but lets be honest, we've now got a couple of 40 grand a week players in the team, added Moriah Welsh who is an upgrade on those before him and also got Boyle, Miller & Rocky back from international duty.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2024, 11:09 PM
Agree to a certain extent - but lets be honest, we've now got a couple of 40 grand a week players in the team, added Moriah Welsh who is an upgrade on those before him and also got Boyle, Miller & Rocky back from international duty.

Moriah-Welsh might just be what keeps Monty in a job. He’s the type of midfielder we have needed since Gogic. And he look like an upgrade on Gogic as well.
Obviously helped by the creative quality of Marcondes.
Midfield looks as good as it has for a long time.
Now need to sort daft errors at the back.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 11:11 PM
Moriah-Welsh might just be what keeps Monty in a job. He’s the type of midfielder we have needed since Gogic. And he look like an upgrade on Gogic as well.

Not In The Know
28-02-2024, 11:12 PM

That’s amazing news. Let’s be positive.

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 11:15 PM
That’s amazing news. Let’s be positive.

Yes exactly - we actually have an obvious starting eleven with some very good players in it. Team picks itself just now, which we couldn't have said recently.

matty_f
28-02-2024, 11:18 PM
Aberdeen sacked their manager this time last year Matty, won nine of their last 15 games (including seven in a row) and finished three points above Hearts when they’d been ten behind.

You can see why they thought it was worth trying again, they obviously thought that someone else could get more out of the squad there. Last year they brought the right man in, and he did just that - but it’s looking like they’ve made the wrong appointment.
He wasn’t the right man for long.

Murphys Touch
28-02-2024, 11:19 PM

We do - yep and that helps

But in the 4-4-2 and slow ponderous style of pre February, these players would be getting square balls with their back to goal on our 18 yard line…..I reckon they’d be overran too.

I’m encouraged but also angry it took that long to change things….probably cost him his job

LaMotta
28-02-2024, 11:37 PM
I never really noticed him raging to be honest. I wouldn’t have taken him off when he was about to take a corner right enough.

I didn’t really think the changes we made killed us as suggested earlier. There has been times when Montgomery has made some questionable subs, I thought his subs were crap at the weekend. But tonight I thought they were mainly down to fitness. Moriah-Welsh needed to go off before he did (and would have if Amos had been there) and I didn’t really think Marcondes was in it second half.

There are Hearts fans even pointing out how daft that decision was:

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/201751-hibs-appoint-nick-montgomery-as-manager/&do=findComment&comment=10209694

Stevie Reid
28-02-2024, 11:37 PM
He wasn’t the right man for long.

Football managers rarely are these days. He was the right man for what they wanted to achieve last season.

chrisski33
29-02-2024, 01:00 AM

Nothing wrong with his interview in the first place.

JimBHibees
29-02-2024, 05:49 AM

It is a shame Amos wasn't available to come on. Hopefully nothing serious with him

JimBHibees
29-02-2024, 05:53 AM
Nothing wrong with his interview in the first place.

Absolutely. He speaks clearly and to the point. Moronic to say otherwise. He isn't reciting Shakespeare ffs :greengrin

Murphys Touch
29-02-2024, 09:09 AM
I actually think in last few weeks we’ve seen a bit fire in his interviews. Yea he rambles on and is repetitive but he is also aware one wrong word could be taken out of context too

We are getting a bit insecure and dramatic a little aren’t we

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-02-2024, 09:42 AM
I honestly thought Triantis came on and done well last night. Played a beauty of a "long" ball that I think led to Obita hitting the post and got stuck in, won a few headers. So helped out defensively

We'd lost the tenacity of Moriah-Welsh, and none of Maolida, Boyle and Youan were gonna track back (the latter 2 pulled pressure on us with half hearted attempts at clearances actually) so having Triantis supporting Rocky and Fish allowed our full backs to cover the space vacated by our wingers

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-02-2024, 09:44 AM
I can also kind of see where the comments RE interviews come from. Maybe he's just not the most natural interviewee.

Most important thing is that players and people around the club buy in to monty and from what I see and hear, he's a great leader

Since452
29-02-2024, 10:49 AM
I expect you to back him now as strongly as you were criticising him previously, as he has met your criteria for being a good manager.

From the Ian Murray thread:
"Rovers have been on a horrendous run but they've pulled it out the bag in their biggest game of the season just as they did at Tannadice. With one game they've kept themselves in the title race. That's the sign of a good manager."

Swap Rovers for Hibs and Title for Top 6, and the Dundee game puts him straight into good manager territory. I look forward to your new found positivity :aok:

Bit of a difference with Murray and Montgomery though. Murray is joint top of the league in March when his team have no right to be. Id love for Montgomery to have us punching above our weight at this stage of the season. We haven't pulled anything out the bag yet either, we're still languishing in the bottom six. He's got a long way to go before he shows he's a good manager.

If we finish top six i'll be happy to give him credit but we should be nowhere near the bottom six. I hope he goes on to be a success at Hibs. He's got an unbelievable chance to do that with the players and funds at our disposal now. He seems to be going in the right direction, finally.

matty_f
29-02-2024, 10:53 AM
Bit of a difference with Murray and Montgomery though. Murray is joint top of the league in March when his team have no right to be. Id love for Montgomery to have us punching above our weight at this stage of the season. We haven't pulled anything out the bag yet either, we're still languishing in the bottom six. He's got a long way to go before he shows he's a good manager.

If we finish top six i'll be happy to give him credit but we should be nowhere near the bottom six. I hope he goes on to be a success at Hibs. He's got an unbelievable chance to do that with the players and funds at our disposal now. He seems to be going in the right direction, finally.

Murray's probably not had referees making sure Raith aren't getting the points they should from games, though.

04Sauzee
29-02-2024, 11:07 AM

Why have Raith no right to be joint top of the table?

Dundee Utd have had some terrible results with losses in league and cups against Spartans, Partick, Falkirk, Raith twice, Morton and Airdrie
Also drawing against Dunfermline twice, Morton, Raith, ICT, QOS, Queens Park.

Dundee Utd are 5th on current form taking 10 points out of the last 18

Raith Rovers are actually 6th on current form taking 7 from 18.

Diclonius
29-02-2024, 11:08 AM
It's getting better.

Since452
29-02-2024, 11:30 AM
Why have Raith no right to be joint top of the table?

Dundee Utd have had some terrible results with losses in league and cups against Spartans, Partick, Falkirk, Raith twice, Morton and Airdrie
Also drawing against Dunfermline twice, Morton, Raith, ICT, QOS, Queens Park.

Dundee Utd are 5th on current form taking 10 points out of the last 18

Raith Rovers are actually 6th on current form taking 7 from 18.

Budgets. Dundee United should be top, by a distance. Rovers are punching way above their weight. And good on them.

WhileTheChief..
29-02-2024, 11:33 AM

Agreed.

Might not be the most important thing in the world, but I like it when our managers come across well in interviews.

NM doesn't inspire any sort of confidence and mostly seems unsure of what he's saying.

If the team wins, it's pretty much irrelevant, but when we lose, it adds to the feeling of wtf is going on!!

WhileTheChief..
29-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Absolutely. He speaks clearly and to the point. Moronic to say otherwise. He isn't reciting Shakespeare ffs :greengrin

How is it moronic? Just because you don't agree?

Some of his interviews have been atrociously bad.

BoomtownHibees
29-02-2024, 11:40 AM
Agreed.

Might not be the most important thing in the world, but I like it when our managers come across well in interviews.

NM doesn't inspire any sort of confidence and mostly seems unsure of what he's saying.

If the team wins, it's pretty much irrelevant, but when we lose, it adds to the feeling of wtf is going on!!

Bloody hell. Banged on about his formation for long enough, he’s now changed that so you want to call him out on his interview technique?

Suppose it means we must be doing a bit better on the park

Centre Hawf
29-02-2024, 11:46 AM
He's came through what was an on paper tough mini run of games with Celtic, Aberdeen away, a bit of a top half 6 pointer against Dundee, an away Edinburgh Derby, and potentially a little bit of a banana skin cup tie up in the Highlands.

He's came out of that run with some credit in the bank for improved performances and if it were not for some dodgy refereeing decisions you could probably add an extra win or two into the mix. We've done enough to keep the hopes of our season alive going into a much more favourable run of fixtures.

The hard work doesn't really stop though and a win on Saturday is still very much needed, and I think there's a bit more belief about us now that we could go out and give someone a skelping soon.

04Sauzee
29-02-2024, 11:46 AM
Budgets. Dundee United should be top, by a distance. Rovers are punching way above their weight. And good on them.
Or flip it Dundee Utd should be doing much better with their budget than they are? Maybe with Rivets budget they are getting the performances they should be getting 😁

It's a tough league down there and I normally enjoy the games on a Friday night

Greensunshine
29-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Bloody hell. Banged on about his formation for long enough, he’s now changed that so you want to call him out on his interview technique?

The thread is called Monty.
That means we can speak all things Monty both good and bad because this isn’t North Korea.
I don’t think he comes across at all well tbh but as long as we are winning football matches, that’s really all that matters.
When we’re not winning football matches, all his weaknesses will come to the fore and this is definitely one he could do with polishing up on.

DinkyTwo
29-02-2024, 12:06 PM
Without some awful refereeing decisions, we would have came away with 9 points from Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts. Add in the two games we did win and it'd be 5 on the bounce.

I wanted to see signs of progress if we were going to stick with Monty and as far as I'm concerned, I've seen it.

The next goal is top six. If he manages to achieve that then there really isn't a valid reason to not give him a crack at next season.

The obsession with how managers carry themselves during post match interviews is getting a bit OTT for me.

LJ chatted ***** and was constantly slagged for it, NM is a bit dry and he's getting the same treatment.

We only need to take a look around at the other managers in the league to see how much worse it could actually be.

Warnock - calling other teams divers
Derek Adams - disparaging remarks about league quality
Brendan Rodgers - sexist

VoltaireHibs
29-02-2024, 12:12 PM
I've seen enough to think he knows what he's doing, finally. Give him a couple more transfer windows and we may all be very pleasantly surprised.

Smartie
29-02-2024, 12:14 PM
Re his interviews - in his defence, he’s found himself under pressure, possibly for the first time in his managerial career? Last night he had every right to be absolutely raging.

Maybe when he gets a run of good results behind him he’ll sound a bit calmer and more comfortable?

In certain situations I can be quite a calm and measured communicator, in others I’m a gibbering wreck.

Players seem to respond well to him, which is the main thing.

Ozyhibby
29-02-2024, 01:06 PM
I don’t give a monkey’s **** about his interview technique. It’s all about results. He’s not there yet but sorting out the midfield is a bloody good start.

Hibernian Verse
29-02-2024, 01:26 PM
I don’t give a monkey’s **** about his interview technique. It’s all about results. He’s not there yet but sorting out the midfield is a bloody good start.

You know it's getting better when they're resorting to his interview technique.

Ozyhibby
29-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Will be nice to see the ‘Midfield’ thread not appearing after every single game.[emoji1696]

Up-the-slope
29-02-2024, 01:58 PM

That he is not yet fit enough to last 90+ (I would say frustrated rather than your description)

Not a criticism just the reality of a player that hasn't played much due to injury - and after other acquisitions was not likely to get back in his clubs team. So credit him for coming looking for game time and to put himself in the shop window for when his contract ends

JimBHibees
29-02-2024, 02:10 PM
How is it moronic? Just because you don't agree?

Some of his interviews have been atrociously bad.

Yes I don't agree. See nothing wrong in his interviews.

WhileTheChief..
29-02-2024, 03:06 PM

Confusing me with someone else, I've never once posted anything about 442 or anything similar :aok:

jeffers
29-02-2024, 03:14 PM
I don’t think he comes across great either. Doesn’t bother me particularly but I felt at the AGM he kept repeating himself and making excuses.

I don’t think he talks a load of pish though or tries to make himself look clever like his predecessor did.

Brightside
29-02-2024, 03:19 PM

Looks like an upgrade? He's like Platini compared to Gogic.

greenlex
29-02-2024, 03:30 PM
I don’t think he comes across great either. Doesn’t bother me particularly but I felt at the AGM he kept repeating himself and making excuses.

I don’t think he talks a load of pish though or tries to make himself look clever like his predecessor did.
Agreed. As long as the players get what he’s asking them to do how he comes across in interviews is irrelevant. I don’t think he’s too comfortable with the media but that’s alright by me.

Caversham Green
29-02-2024, 04:01 PM
I always thought Terry Butcher came across well in interviews.

Just saying.

hibsbollah
29-02-2024, 04:25 PM
I always thought Terry Butcher came across well in interviews.

Just saying.

Pol pot did. Hitler too. Fred West could breeze through a Chick Young interview no bother.
None could manage a football team though.

wookie70
29-02-2024, 05:01 PM
Pol pot did. Hitler too. Fred West could breeze through a Chick Young interview no bother.
None could manage a football team though.

If your football team is doing poorly though it helps to be a good communicator. I watched the Hibs media interview and he always came across better and his message was even stronger with regards to the penalty. I think it is simply someone who isn't too comfortable in front of the media and most of his time here being interviewed about difficult results and performances. Media training will probably have told him to stick to a few key pre-prepared message and that is safer but makes it a bit clunky. I listened to McInnes last night and his interview was about as good as it gets especially after a defeat. Then again his team are performing better than most would have expected. No-one will care less if we start picking up points and playing well but speaking to fans through the media is a skill that is worth having and not that easy to learn.

Hibees1973
29-02-2024, 05:04 PM
Yes I don't agree. See nothing wrong in his interviews.

Correct.

Really don't know what folk expect. Do they want him to go off on a waffling rant, spouting cr*p. If he did, it would not make one iota of difference.

Montgomery is cool and measured and was exactly what we needed after the last two clowns.

Hibby Bairn
29-02-2024, 05:09 PM
FFS. Get off the guy's back and support him. Moaning about interview style. Who gives a flying ****.

Hibs have started to play well. Managers need good players. We now have more of them.

Everything about Hibs is positive right now as far as I'm concerned.

Pagan Hibernia
29-02-2024, 05:17 PM
As far as I'm concerned Hibs, and Monty, have come through a very difficult period. The results are improving, the performances generally decent. Looking forward to seeing what we can do the rest of the season.

Stuart93
29-02-2024, 05:21 PM
We’ve turned a corner pretty sharply after the st mirren defeat. I’m so glad he’s changed the shape as it suites is a lot better.

Having the correct balance in the midfield definitely helps and it showed when Levitt came on last night. He’s just not got it unfortunately.

I’m also upset thinking about losing Myzaine and Emi. Brilliant signings and hopefully the sign of things to come in the summer.

I admittedly only caught the 2nd half last night after tending to the bairn in the first half but that’s the best I’ve seen us play against them for a while and we didn’t get what we deserved. Molly should’ve buried his header.

My only gripe is that we still don’t seem to have that little bit of quality/a striker being there at the right time. The amount of balls we flashed across the box and only a hearts player was there was frustrating.

Things are starting to look up though after a dismal first half of the season whilst being mindful we still aren’t a million miles away from them behind us but thankfully even closer to them ahead of us.

Unseen work
29-02-2024, 05:22 PM
Couldn’t care less.

Some people are better infront of the press than others, honestly who cares.

Would you prefer Montgomery who speaks in simple terms or Johnson who is a far better speaker however the majority of what he says is nonsense?

I prefer Montgomery saying “I thought” or “what we wont do” rather than LJ who suggests Fish consider his running speed based on if a lion was chasing him

WeeRussell
29-02-2024, 05:34 PM
We’ve turned a corner pretty sharply after the st mirren defeat. I’m so glad he’s changed the shape as it suites is a lot better.

Having the correct balance in the midfield definitely helps and it showed when Levitt came on last night. He’s just not got it unfortunately.

I’m also upset thinking about losing Myzaine and Emi. Brilliant signings and hopefully the sign of things to come in the summer.

I admittedly only caught the 2nd half last night after tending to the bairn in the first half but that’s the best I’ve seen us play against them for a while and we didn’t get what we deserved. Molly should’ve buried his header.

My only gripe is that we still don’t seem to have that little bit of quality/a striker being there at the right time. The amount of balls we flashed across the box and only a hearts player was there was frustrating.

Things are starting to look up though after a dismal first half of the season whilst being mindful we still aren’t a million miles away from them behind us but thankfully even closer to them ahead of us.

I think your gripe is slightly harsh based on last night. Was only after seeing replays that I realised how unlucky we were with efforts saved/blocked on the line. And can’t believe Maolida didn’t stick his header away.

Frustrating night but far more positive signs and looking forward to next few games.

Unseen work
29-02-2024, 05:37 PM
I think your gripe is slightly harsh based on last night. Was only after seeing replays that I realised how unlucky we were with efforts saved/blocked on the line. And can’t believe Maolida didn’t stick his header away.

Frustrating night but far more positive signs and looking forward to next few games.

Yep, we speak about quality but it doesn’t get much better than Vente’s flicked effort from the Boyle cross that was cleared off the line.

Brilliant improvisation from Vente and so unlucky not to score.

WeeRussell
29-02-2024, 05:39 PM
Yep, we speak about quality but it doesn’t get much better than Vente’s flicked effort from the Boyle cross that was cleared off the line.

Exactly the example that was going through my head - when you see the angle from behind the goals, what a finish that would have been. I think Dylan had more saved and blocked than anyone last night.

Centre Hawf
29-02-2024, 05:41 PM
Exactly the example that was going through my head - when you see the angle from behind the goals, what a finish that would have been. I think Dylan had more saved and blocked than anyone last night.

It'll click for him and he'll go on a run, I'm almost certain of it.

Stuart93
29-02-2024, 06:14 PM

You could be right but just think if a couple they chances fell to shankland at the other end they’d end up in goals & that’s the kind of quality we need up there.

However, also get your point that we were unlucky last night

Brooster
29-02-2024, 07:10 PM
NM now has better players to pick from, he's tweaked the formation. We are undoubtedly playing much better and only poor finishing and atrocious refereeing has cost us points.

I'm happy with the progress we have made in the last month and will stick by the manager.

Are people really getting hot and bothered about his interview technique?

Dashing Bob S
29-02-2024, 07:48 PM
NM now has better players to pick from, he's tweaked the formation. We are undoubtedly playing much better and only poor finishing and atrocious refereeing has cost us points.

I'm happy with the progress we have made in the last month and will stick by the manager.

Agreed. Let’s get some perspective here. We’re looking good and getting better. It’s pointing to a strong finish.

truehibernian
29-02-2024, 07:54 PM

I agree Brooster but for me, to prove he’s learned lessons, I’m hoping he’s more flexible when we face The Rangers in the cup as we’ve a real chance with this side in the cup. I like Monty, the new additions are excellent - but I’ll be watching his approach to that game in particular to see if he’s learning. Couldn’t care less about interviews as every manager rolls out cliches - but that’s the best we’ve played at Tynecastle in years last night.

VoltaireHibs
29-02-2024, 07:59 PM
Agreed. As long as the players get what he’s asking them to do how he comes across in interviews is irrelevant. I don’t think he’s too comfortable with the media but that’s alright by me.

I don't find him particularly inspiring but that's neither here not there. I've worked with various types of managers, some were good and some were crap, how they spoke didn't have much to do with it. I also think you're correct in that he's not that comfortable doing media. He's come from (and no offence to our Aussie Hibs fans) a footballing backwater in terms of media coverage. I think we underestimate how taken aback incomers to the Scottish game are by the level of analysis in the media of every aspect of a club. He's come from a cornershop and found himself in charge of a supermarket, that's always going to take a bit of adjustment. Even Old Firm managers that have been at big clubs previously talk about it. There is no 'Off Switch' here. Football is 24/7 in Scotland.

JimBHibees
01-03-2024, 06:18 AM
FFS. Get off the guy's back and support him. Moaning about interview style. Who gives a flying ****.

Hibs have started to play well. Managers need good players. We now have more of them.

Everything about Hibs is positive right now as far as I'm concerned.

Agree totally almost as if we are looking like turning a corner let's find something else to have a go at. Give the guy a break and support him.

JimBHibees
01-03-2024, 06:21 AM

Genuinely thought that was Dylan's best performance by miles for Hibs so unlucky with the two attempts cleared off the line. Great work rate also won a few headers.

Since452
01-03-2024, 06:33 AM
Couldn’t care less.

Some people are better infront of the press than others, honestly who cares.

Would you prefer Montgomery who speaks in simple terms or Johnson who is a far better speaker however the majority of what he says is nonsense?

I prefer Montgomery saying “I thought” or “what we wont do” rather than LJ who suggests Fish consider his running speed based on if a lion was chasing him

Didn't care how LJ was Infront of the camera and don't really care about Montgomery either. It's not the X factor. The most important thing is hes now playing a system that seems to suit the players. Some very good players. It was likely going to cost him his job of he didn't. He's bought himself a bit of time.

Forza Fred
01-03-2024, 06:57 AM
When in Oz Jason Cummings was asked about his view on the difference between playing in Oz and playing in Scotland.

He basically answered along the lines of that in Scotland the media and the fans concentrated much more on looking for negatives than positives..

I thought that was an interesting comment.

joe breezy
01-03-2024, 07:05 AM

Yeah doesn’t come across well - but I can forgive that if the tactics are right and the players feel galvanised by him

joe breezy
01-03-2024, 07:06 AM
When in Oz Jason Cummings was asked about his view on the difference between playing in Oz and playing in Scotland.

He basically answered along the lines of that in Scotland the media and the fans concentrated much more on looking for negatives than positives..

Maybe it’s the crap weather that makes people fundamentally unhappy

Pagan Hibernia
01-03-2024, 08:37 AM

There's absolutely no doubt that society in general is more cynical in Scotland, and Britain as a whole tbh than it is in Australia.

I lived in Australia for a year. The chirpy optimism got on my nerves tbh

Greensunshine
01-03-2024, 08:42 AM
There's absolutely no doubt that society in general is more cynical in Scotland, and Britain as a whole tbh than it is in Australia.

Ha ha you old cynic you! 😂🤣😂🤣

JimBHibees
01-03-2024, 08:44 AM

Seems accurate as well

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2024, 08:53 AM
We are playing better, results could still have been better but for a couple of horrendous referee decisions.

Now we have 3 games where we really need to be taking at least 7 points from, and to be fair i think i'd be disapointed with 7, i want 9 points.

Any less than 7 and have we really improved, especially given the quality of players brought in?

Scottie
01-03-2024, 09:32 AM

Maybe we should have looked for the positives when he done his Panenka in the Cup semi against Dundee Utd :greengrin

Like someone said above maybe its the weather but I've always found us Scots are positive people in general.

Ozyhibby
01-03-2024, 09:41 AM

Me too.[emoji23]

Fergus52
01-03-2024, 09:46 AM
We are playing better, results could still have been better but for a couple of horrendous referee decisions.

Now we have 3 games where we really need to be taking at least 7 points from, and to be fair i think i'd be disapointed with 7, i want 9 points.

Any less than 7 and have we really improved, especially given the quality of players brought in?

Really depends on how the performances imo,

If we play how we played against Dundee, Hearts and the second half against Celtic - creating lots of chances and looking more solid in midfield - but end up losing one of the games, or drawing two of them down to dodgy refereeing decisions again then I'll have more sympathy.

If we regress to how we looked around xmas time then that argument will be valid.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2024, 09:50 AM

If we play how we played against Dundee, Hearts and the second half against Celtic - creating lots of chances and looking more solid in midfield - but end up losing one of the games, or drawing two of them down to dodgy refereeing decisions again then I'll have more sympathy.

If we regress to how we looked around xmas time then that argument will be valid.

Not for me, we need to start winning games now.

tamig
01-03-2024, 10:07 AM
Looks like an upgrade? He's like Platini compared to Gogic.

Indeed. Strange observation.

Stubbsy90+2
01-03-2024, 10:15 AM

I said before the Dundee game that we needed 10 points from the next 5 league games (Dundee, Hearts, RC x 2 and Livi). I still think that’s fair, especially with the performances being good in the last 2 league games.

Any less than 10 from this point though would mean winning only one of the next 3 against RC, RC and Livi. That would suggest to me we haven’t actually improved all that much.

2 wins from the next 3 league games absolute minimum for me. Any more than that would be very good, 3 wins would be exceptional.

Performances have improved, now we need the results to do the same if we want to be able to say we’re genuinely seeing improvement. The next 3 games are a massive opportunity for that and in theory, it doesn’t get much easier than playing the bottom 2 in 3 games in a row.

Centre Hawf
01-03-2024, 10:41 AM

I do understand where you're coming from with this but I can't really be arsed with us being nearly men between now and the split. We either win games or we don't at this point.

Fergus52
01-03-2024, 11:10 AM
I do understand where you're coming from with this but I can't really be arsed with us being nearly men between now and the split. We either win games or we don't at this point.

Aye, that's fair - bottom 6 would be a complete disaster

Donegal Hibby
01-03-2024, 11:21 AM

I think we have a good chance of 9 though would be happy with 7 . Ross county away won't be easy. Really pissed off about the decisions lately , should have an extra 5 points which would have made a massive difference.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Because of where we’ve found ourselves, every single game no has so much on it for us (and Montgomery).

IMO, we should make the top six from the position we’re in now and with the games we have. It’s 5 games against bottom six teams plus the Rangers game at Ibrox, which we’ll more than likely lose.

No excuses now, we should be getting a good number of points between now and the split.

Diclonius
01-03-2024, 11:32 AM
If he gets top six he'll keep his job.

HoboHarry
01-03-2024, 12:49 PM
He'll keep his job regardless IMHO and I hope he does, I'm happy to acknowledge that Rome wasn't built in a day and he looks like he is very clear in what he is aiming for. Repeated short term managers will get us relegated, not giving NM a chance to build something. Aberdeen are a good example currently of that too.

Ozyhibby
01-03-2024, 01:38 PM
Indeed. Strange observation.

It’s not really. Gogic was the last midfielder we had who consistently closed down the other teams midfielders and made it difficult for other teams to play. It’s no coincidence that we finished 3rd that season. In football it can be just as important what you do without the ball as with it.
Moriah-Welsh looks excellent at stopping other teams playing (small sample size obviously).
Comparing either to Platini is a stranger observation.
Since 2020 our midfield has been soft and low energy. Very easy to play through. Most of them too lightweight or positionally illiterate. Jeggo came close but he was hopeless with the ball.

LaMotta
01-03-2024, 01:40 PM
It’s not really. Gogic was the last midfielder we had who consistently closed down the other teams midfielders and made it difficult for other teams to play. It’s no coincidence that we finished 3rd that season. In football it can be just as important what you do without the ball as with it.
Moriah-Welsh looks excellent at stopping other teams playing (small sample size obviously).
Since 2020 our midfield has been soft and low energy. Very easy to play through. Most of them too lightweight or positionally illiterate. Jeggo came close but he was hopeless with the ball.

I would agree with you on this.

Brightside
01-03-2024, 01:43 PM

But Gogic is / was also hopeless on the ball. No different to Jeggo.

Lago
01-03-2024, 01:50 PM

And very true, applies to some fans as well.

Se7enUp
01-03-2024, 01:50 PM
Maybe we should have looked for the positives when he done his Panenka in the Cup semi against Dundee Utd :greengrin

Like someone said above maybe its the weather but I've always found us Scots are positive people in general.

You'll be too young to remember Private Frazer, then? 🤣

HIBS NUTS
01-03-2024, 02:16 PM
We need consistency now, we have new players, hopefully some money in the summer, I expect us to make the top six now, however with our games being dictated by horrendous referee decisions, nothing is certain.

For a moment I thought our goal against hearts, was going to be disallowed, thankfully the delay to the kick off, was a flare on the pitch.

JimBHibees
01-03-2024, 02:20 PM
But Gogic is / was also hopeless on the ball. No different to Jeggo.

But was a heck of alot more athletic

Centre Hawf
01-03-2024, 03:39 PM
He'll keep his job regardless IMHO and I hope he does, I'm happy to acknowledge that Rome wasn't built in a day and he looks like he is very clear in what he is aiming for. Repeated short term managers will get us relegated, not giving NM a chance to build something. Aberdeen are a good example currently of that too.

I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread again as we're in hopefully a bit of ascendency into positive territory at the moment, but are we sure it's very clear in what he wants to do? I assume you mean in terms of tactics and style?

He's only recently changed the formation due to terrible results so he's already changed his approach from where it was probably 6-8 weeks ago (not bashing him for that as it's what I certainly wanted to see him do). I'm still not massively sure what the overarching philosophy is so to speak other than playing a few risky passes from the back, but maybe I'm a simpleton who hasn't picked up on it yet.

The Modfather
01-03-2024, 04:09 PM
I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread again as we're in hopefully a bit of ascendency into positive territory at the moment, but are we sure it's very clear in what he wants to do? I assume you mean in terms of tactics and style?

He's only recently changed the formation due to terrible results so he's already changed his approach from where it was probably 6-8 weeks ago (not bashing him for that as it's what I certainly wanted to see him do). I'm still not massively sure what the overarching philosophy is so to speak other than playing a few risky passes from the back, but maybe I'm a simpleton who hasn't picked up on it yet.

For me has shown early encouraging signs that with good players signed, who fit how he wants to play, we will compete at the right end of the league going forward. It’s only 5 or 6 games though so could all change quite quickly.

He’s the first manager to address the issue of Stevenson & Hanlon. Went a big way to addressing the midfield issues, not just in terms of quality, but the type of players Moriah-Welsh and Amos are. Signed Maolida who gives us a physical focal point (as well as also being athletic and technical).

I think his inexperience showed in not knowing how to get the best out of the pre January squad. However there is mitigation in terms of having midfield options of Jeggo, Newell & Levitt. Being left with Whittaker as the only available RB for a month. Tavares one of only two wide options for a month, the other being Youan who is erratic at best. As well as Inheriting a really poor defence. He probably looks back on the many mistakes he made, but given it’s taken big January surgery for us to look like a functioning team again I think most managers would have struggled, to varying degrees, with the above mitigations.

His first window looks like he knows what needs done, made a good fist of actually doing what was needed and has translated that into the team and performances we’ve seen the last 5 or 6 weeks. His progress is also hamstrung by a defence that makes basic errors every week and has cost us a couple of league positions in dropped points. I’m quite exited to see him get his hands on the defence in the summer and where that takes us.

Sparrows tongue
01-03-2024, 04:29 PM

Top six and the Cup, surely?

:cb

hibsbollah
01-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Top six and the Cup, surely?

:cb

I dunno, even if he wins the Cup i reckon his coats still on a shoogly peg. He needs to do better in all those tv interviews furra start.

Stubbsy90+2
01-03-2024, 05:40 PM

Was my first thought when I read that post as well.

As you say, he’s finally changed the formation and approach and it’s looking much better, so it’s not in anyway a criticism. The fact he’s abandoned a way of playing that he previously declared he wouldn’t be straying from hardly screams very clear in what he’s aiming for though.

Skol
01-03-2024, 06:08 PM
It is only a very subtle change in formation.

Murphys Touch
01-03-2024, 07:02 PM
It is only a very subtle change in formation.

But a big change in style. A lot more diagonals and then good football going forward

Keepthefaith
01-03-2024, 07:14 PM

As you say, he’s finally changed the formation and approach and it’s looking much better, so it’s not in anyway a criticism. The fact he’s abandoned a way of playing that he previously declared he wouldn’t be straying from hardly screams very clear in what he’s aiming for though.

So what more do you want him to say? Just seems to me that you're wanting him to give you a breakdown in detail of his approach. He's been very clear about being possession based, having players who are confident ball players, including the defence who can play from the back.

He's talked about being on the front foot, playing with pace. Every player who has come in under him has spoken about wanting to play his way, how he gave each player a blueprint of how he saw them contributing to the team.

Sure that description hasn't been apparent throughout his tenure so far, but it's a lot more evident after the transfer window.

It's like those who were against him are now saying aye were playing better but does he really know what he's doing? Hardly seems fair and just an excuse to maintain previous negatives.

Bakerman
01-03-2024, 07:19 PM

I don't think he has abandoned his style of play. Against Hearts we tried to play out from the back as much as we could. It worked very well for most of the match. The key difference is, we now have players who are much more capable of playing that way. The team has been transformed since the window. Monty is a good manager, who now has serious backing from various quarters. No wonder Hearts are afraid.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2024, 07:46 PM
I don't think he has abandoned his style of play. Against Hearts we tried to play out from the back as much as we could. It worked very well for most of the match. The key difference is, we now have players who are much more capable of playing that way. The team has been transformed since the window. Monty is a good manager, who now has serious backing from various quarters. No wonder Hearts are afraid.

And yet our goal came from a long kick from Marshall, flicked on by Miller to Vente then Boyle. I think he persisted with the 2 in the middle of midfield way too long, but as seen recently with better players and a change of system, we can play out from the back better at times, as the goal against Dundee showed. :greengrin

HoboHarry
01-03-2024, 07:48 PM
So what more do you want him to say? Just seems to me that you're wanting him to give you a breakdown in detail of his approach. He's been very clear about being possession based, having players who are confident ball players, including the defence who can play from the back.

He's talked about being on the front foot, playing with pace. Every player who has come in under him has spoken about wanting to play his way, how he gave each player a blueprint of how he saw them contributing to the team.

Sure that description hasn't been apparent throughout his tenure so far, but it's a lot more evident after the transfer window.

It's like those who were against him are now saying aye were playing better but does he really know what he's doing? Hardly seems fair and just an excuse to maintain previous negatives.

Bakerman
01-03-2024, 07:58 PM
And yet our goal came from a long kick from Marshall, flicked on by Miller to Vente then Boyle. I think he persisted with the 2 in the middle of midfield way too long, but as seen recently with better players and a change of system, we can play out from the back better at times, as the goal against Dundee showed. :greengrin

The playing out from the back also gives the opportunity of a long kick to an outfield player. It affords variability, as you'll well know, being a long time supporter. The difference being we now have players of quality, who can either comfortably play with the ball at feet, or attempt a longer ball to players who can win it up there. We've been crying out for a manager like Monty, provided with players who are comfortable playing at a higher level, and we're now seeing the benefits of it. If it wasn't for the lanarkshire house of disrepute, it would be even better :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
01-03-2024, 08:28 PM

I don’t care what he says. The idea he has a very clear way of playing, when he’s completely changed the way he’s playing despite saying he wouldn’t, doesn’t make any sense. It’s quite simple really. If you say ‘I’m playing my way and won’t change’ then go on to change the way you’re playing, then it’s a stretch to claim you’ve got a clear way of playing, at least until your new way of playing beds in.

If it’s a clear way of playing but it’s not been evident through his tenure so far, then how is it a ‘clear way of playing’? Likewise if this new of playing is his way of playing, I’m not sure it can be described as ‘very clear’ when it’s taken 20 odd games to see it. Let’s keep in mind we’ve had people claiming he had a clear way of playing months ago. You’re saying it hasn’t been evident. Was it evident then or not? The fact nobody seems to know or can agree again would suggest there’s nothing clear about it.

Like I said, that’s not a criticism at all, it’s a positive and something many of us were insistent would see us improve (which it has), so you can go on about maintaining negatives or questioning whether he knows what he’s doing all you want but that’s nonsense.

Paul1642
01-03-2024, 08:29 PM
I was still in favour of sticking with Monty for at least the season following the St Mirren game as I was convinced he would come good. Everything I have seen since the 5 games since has been very encouraging and solidified that belief.

The points on the board in recent games hasn’t matched the performance and terrible refereeing performances are in large to blame for 5 dropped points imo.

The next 3 leauge games are a great opportunity to take 9 points and climb the table a lot closer to where we want to be. The 3 teams we want to catch all have worse fixtures and a guaranteed to drop points due to playing each other. Really think we’re going to be in touching distance of 4rd come the end of day March 16th.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2024, 08:49 PM
I don’t care what he says. The idea he has a very clear way of playing, when he’s completely changed the way he’s playing despite saying he wouldn’t, doesn’t make any sense. It’s quite simple really. If you say ‘I’m playing my way and won’t change’ then go on to change the way you’re playing, then it’s a stretch to claim you’ve got a clear way of playing, at least until your new way of playing beds in.

If it’s a clear way of playing but it’s not been evident through his tenure so far, then how is it a ‘clear way of playing’? Likewise if this new of playing is his way of playing, I’m not sure it can be described as ‘very clear’ when it’s taken 20 odd games to see it. Let’s keep in mind we’ve had people claiming he had a clear way of playing months ago. Was it evident then or not? The fact nobody seems to know again would suggest there’s nothing clear about it.

Like I said, that’s not a criticism at all, it’s a positive and something many of us were insistent would see us improve (which it has), so you can go on about maintaining negatives or questioning whether he knows what he’s doing all you want but that’s nonsense.

We have undoubtedly improved since the change of shape but I still think the 3 quality players are the biggest difference. Obviously we’ll never know but I’m not sure switching to a midfield three of Jeggo, Levitt and Newell as opposed to a midfield three of Moriah-Welsh, Marcondes and Newell would have seen us playing as well. Especially as you were still at the point of having to play the likes of Whittaker and Tavares from the start.

The eight game run that has saw us drop so far off it, we saw the shape changing from St Mirren forward. The big turning point for me was the ICT game when you saw what we actually had available. We were able to bring on Youan, Levitt, Marcondes, Le Fondre and Cadden off the bench that day. Night and day to the options from November through to late January.

I still think he should have tried the change of shape much, much earlier but I’m just not convinced it’d have had the same impact with the players available.

Keepthefaith
01-03-2024, 08:56 PM

If it’s a clear way of playing but it’s not been evident through his tenure so far, then how is it a ‘clear way of playing’? Likewise if this new of playing is his way of playing, I’m not sure it can be described as ‘very clear’ when it’s taken 20 odd games to see it. Let’s keep in mind we’ve had people claiming he had a clear way of playing months ago. You’re saying it hasn’t been evident. Was it evident then or not? The fact nobody seems to know again would suggest there’s nothing clear about it.

I find your answer really odd! He hasn't changed his style completely just because he's tweaked his formation! There are still consistent components there...but now we have players who can actually carry it out so it's more obvious/ successful.

Id also argue it's not taken 20 odd games to see it, there have been good performances within that. He's not had the players to implement it fully

We'll never agree as IMO you are pretty fixed on finding negatives. It is criticism if you're saying you can't see what his playing ethos is...if you can't see the thematic picture you're even more negative than Mikey Stewart!

IMO we have a manager of real substance, who has a clear ethos but who isn't afraid to adapt this as he learns his trade. That's not getting carried away or being overly positive, it's about being realistic that he's not the finished article yet ( and how could we expect that?!) but I do believe the club will grow as he grows but it really doesn't help to regurgitate narratives that are negative when the evidence post transfer window contradicts it

brydekirk
01-03-2024, 08:59 PM

Well said

Stubbsy90+2
01-03-2024, 09:02 PM
I find your answer really odd! He hasn't changed his style completely just because he's tweaked his formation! There are still consistent components there...but now we have players who can actually carry it out so it's more obvious/ successful.

Id also argue it's not taken 20 odd games to see it, there have been good performances within that. He's not had the players to implement it fully

We'll never agree as IMO you are pretty fixed on finding negatives. It is criticism if you're saying you can't see what his playing ethos is...if you can't see the thematic picture you're even more negative than Mikey Stewart!

IMO we have a manager of real substance, who has a clear ethos but who isn't afraid to adapt this as he learns his trade. That's not getting carried away or being overly positive, it's about being realistic that he's not the finished article yet ( and how could we expect that?!) but I do believe the club will grow as he grows but it really doesn't help to regurgitate narratives that are negative when the evidence post transfer window contradicts it

He has changed his style. It’s football, obviously there’s going to be some consistent components. There’s some consistent components in every single style of football.

Again, nobody is arguing about whether the performances have been good previously. We’ve not played the way we’re playing now over the games pre January. That’s the point that’s being discussed.

You can keep going on and on about ‘finding negatives’ but you’re literally quoting posts which are saying that the changes in recent weeks have been a positive, some thing which the whole of the Hibs support are pretty much unanimous in thinking, and trying to spin it as a negative post. So who is it really thats trying to ‘find negatives’?

Keepthefaith
01-03-2024, 09:38 PM
He has changed his style. It’s football, obviously there’s going to be some consistent components. There’s some consistent components in every single style of football.

Again, nobody is arguing about whether the performances have been good previously. We’ve not played the way we’re playing now over the games pre January. That’s the point that’s being discussed.

You can keep going on and on about ‘finding negatives’ but you’re literally quoting posts which are saying that the changes in recent weeks have been a positive, some thing which the whole of the Hibs support are pretty much unanimous in thinking, and trying to spin it as a negative post. So who is it really thats trying to ‘find negatives’?

Jees man...this thread is about Monty. My point is reflecting that despite folk acknowledging improved performances you're still, still finding negatives by then questioning if the manager actually really knows what he's doing.

If you can't see that then there's no further comment I can make. I hope in coming weeks you can bring yourself to give him some genuine and unequivocal praise.

Fergus52
01-03-2024, 09:59 PM

If it’s a clear way of playing but it’s not been evident through his tenure so far, then how is it a ‘clear way of playing’? Likewise if this new of playing is his way of playing, I’m not sure it can be described as ‘very clear’ when it’s taken 20 odd games to see it. Let’s keep in mind we’ve had people claiming he had a clear way of playing months ago. You’re saying it hasn’t been evident. Was it evident then or not? The fact nobody seems to know or can agree again would suggest there’s nothing clear about it.

We've tweaked the formation but the style overall is still very similar

01-03-2024, 10:29 PM

Did he even say that? Maybe you've misinterpreted what he said.

Bakerman
01-03-2024, 10:31 PM
We've tweaked the formation but the style overall is still very similar

Centre Hawf
01-03-2024, 10:47 PM
Jees man...this thread is about Monty. My point is reflecting that despite folk acknowledging improved performances you're still, still finding negatives by then questioning if the manager actually really knows what he's doing.

If you can't see that then there's no further comment I can make. I hope in coming weeks you can bring yourself to give him some genuine and unequivocal praise.

I think best I jump in since I kickstarted this mini debate with my question.

I don't think it's a case of any of us are questioning that the manager actually knows what he's doing like you suggest we are, no one is calling him clueless here and trying to find some negatives. The point of my initial question was do we have a clear view of 'what he wants to do'? in reply to someone saying we do, I'm still not hugely sure that is the case. But that in itself isn't such a bad thing if we're a team that can mix it about to suit different opponents. I think that's something I would personally prefer to see from a Hibs side that's going to come up against a variety of different styles in this league.

I've probably seen us score more goals from a long ball in behind a defence for a pacey player under this manager than playing a couple of short quick passes through defence into the midfield and attack before creating a tap in at the back post for example. I think to say we have a 'clear ethos' or we 'know how the manager wants to play' isn't something I hugely agree with as I think we're either still finding out what works for ourselves still, or being a lot more fluid in our approach than we perhaps were a couple months back, which for clarity I think is signs of positive change.

Donegal Hibby
01-03-2024, 10:59 PM
Thought Monty spoke well in his preview of the Ross county game here . Found it interesting that he says Triantis can play as a 6 in it .
https://youtu.be/FlARPTDKrbA?si=Ch7pb5rCscr9VQMX

Forza Fred
01-03-2024, 11:14 PM
Well, at least this thread proves we can always find things to disagree on😂

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2024, 05:59 AM

You’ve managed to turn ‘do we have a very clear style of play seeing as we’ve changed it a few games ago?’ Into ‘he doesn’t know what he’s doing’. You’re quite clearly the one trying to find the negatives here.

And again, it’s been said that it’s a positive he’s changed the system recently. That’s praise. I’ve mentioned that the performances have been hugely improved. That’s praise. You’re completely ignoring that, because again, you seem determined to find negatives.

Unseen work
02-03-2024, 06:24 AM
I actually find Monty’s change in style quite odd timing.

Stuck to 442 and we thought we’d recruit for that, but when he gets his own players in we change shape.

He’s brought in a player in Moriah Welsh that could play as part of a 2 in midfield along with Newell but changes to a 3. He had Jeggo, Levitt and Newell and refused to change it.

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he changed it as I think it’s for the best and will also get the best out of Marcondes, Maolida etc. But if he changed it earlier and had a middle 3 if Jeggo, Levitt, Newell or Campbell, with Boyle and Youan on the wings and Vente on top he maybe would’ve had a bit more credit in the bank.

Brightside
02-03-2024, 06:49 AM

Formations don’t win football games.

Brightside
02-03-2024, 06:50 AM
I actually find Monty’s change in style quite odd timing.

Stuck to 442 and we thought we’d recruit for that, but when he gets his own players in we change shape.

He’s brought in a player in Moriah Welsh that could play as part of a 2 in midfield along with Newell but changes to a 3. He had Jeggo, Levitt and Newell and refused to change it.

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he changed it as I think it’s for the best and will also get the best out of Marcondes, Maolida etc. But if he changed it earlier and had a middle 3 if Jeggo, Levitt, Newell or Campbell, with Boyle and Youan on the wings and Vente on top he maybe would’ve had a bit more credit in the bank.

Or the players mentioned simply weren’t good enough in the managers eyes. Hes playing in the style he believes is best for the squad he haves.

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2024, 07:05 AM
Formations don’t win football games.

A combination of everything wins football games. We wouldn’t win football games if we played 0-0-10 with 10 Maolidas playing either despite the fact he’s class. Formation absolutely plays a part in it.

I find it bizarre that folk like yourself back the manager so heavily, talk about how we absolutely don’t need more managerial upheaval etc but then essentially tell us that nothing matters other than the standard of player. If that’s the case, I’m not sure why it would matter who the manager is, the only thing that would matter would be the recruitment team.

Aritch
02-03-2024, 07:09 AM
He's a young and relatively inexperienced manager (not a knock against him). I think football fans, and people in general across all industries, expect managers to be fully formed as soon as they take on the job.

I think the reality is that everything is a learning process. It's when someone stops wanting to learn that you end up with a dinosaur.

I know some people might then say "Why doesn't he go learn somewhere else?" but I think the fact that he was willing to change the formation and style should be viewed as progress and willingness to learn and adapt.

He's probably also learnt another important lesson of not to say "This is my style and I'll never change it."

Brightside
02-03-2024, 07:11 AM
A combination of everything wins football games. We wouldn’t win football games if we played 0-0-10 with 10 Maolidas playing either despite the fact he’s class. Formation absolutely plays a part in it.

They don’t. Grinds my gears. A formation is just for kick off. You’ll have people determined to say we played 433 v Hearts. In reality that shape was there for about 8 mins. It’s massively out dated to talk about formations. Our style of play is clear with this current squad. Monty is magic you know.

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2024, 07:12 AM
I know some people might then say "Why doesn't he go learn somewhere else?" but I think the fact that he was willing to change the formation and style should be viewed as progress and willingness to learn and adapt.

It absolutely is progress :agree:

Brightside
02-03-2024, 07:13 AM
He's a young and relatively inexperienced manager (not a knock against him). I think football fans, and people in general across all industries, expect managers to be fully formed as soon as they take on the job.

I think the reality is that everything is a learning process. It's when someone stops wanting to learn that you end up with a dinosaur.

He's probably also learnt another important lesson of not to say "This is my style and I'll never change it."

Do you think he’s better or worse than warnock whose learned for 70 years.

WhileTheChief..
02-03-2024, 07:16 AM
Our midfield has been honking for years, practically everyone could see it, and we banged on about it on here often enough.

NM gets huge credit for fixing it in January.

At the same time, all the criticism that went his way earlier in the season, or after the St Mirren game, was fully justified.

Folk are happier now, and things are definitely improving, but that doesn't mean the earlier criticism wasn't valid.

Aritch
02-03-2024, 07:20 AM
Do you think he’s better or worse than warnock whose learned for 70 years.

I covered that in the dinosaur part.

southern hibby
02-03-2024, 08:04 AM
Don’t know if anyone else seen it but Marcondes was rubbing his groin twice before taking the corners before he went off.

I’m not saying he had an injury but maybe he went off to prevent him from causing either further damage or an injury.

GGTTH

B.H.F.C
02-03-2024, 08:10 AM
Don’t know if anyone else seen it but Marcondes was rubbing his groin twice before taking the corners before he went off.

I’m not saying he had an injury but maybe he went off to prevent him from causing either further damage or an injury.

GGTTH

He hurt himself early in the second half. Was when we were on the break and Vente ran from the half way and had a shot deflected wide.

Cat Stanton
02-03-2024, 08:15 AM

GGTTH

Maybe he's just excited to be playing for Hibs?

Ronniekirk
02-03-2024, 08:16 AM
I was still in favour of sticking with Monty for at least the season following the St Mirren game as I was convinced he would come good. Everything I have seen since the 5 games since has been very encouraging and solidified that belief.

The points on the board in recent games hasn’t matched the performance and terrible refereeing performances are in large to blame for 5 dropped points imo.

The next 3 leauge games are a great opportunity to take 9 points and climb the table a lot closer to where we want to be. The 3 teams we want to catch all have worse fixtures and a guaranteed to drop points due to playing each other. Really think we’re going to be in touching distance of 4rd come the end of day March 16th.
Tge teams around us will all fancy Thier chances in beating Aberdeen Stvmirren play them today for eg So we need to win a few games in a row to get snd stay in top six

Unseen work
02-03-2024, 08:17 AM
Or the players mentioned simply weren’t good enough in the managers eyes. Hes playing in the style he believes is best for the squad he haves.

But he did play them? Just in a different formation. One that was clear to most wasn’t suiting the players.

Even with subs he wouldn’t change shape, he’d bring on 17 year old Landers up top for example instead of a Jeggo to help see a game out.

Nothing wrong with him sticking with his style of changing it, I just find it interesting when he has changed it.

Heisenberg
02-03-2024, 08:20 AM
But he did play them? Just in a different formation. One that was clear to most wasn’t suiting the players.

Even with subs he wouldn’t change shape, he’d bring on 17 year old Landers up top for example instead of a Jeggo to help see a game out.

Nothing wrong with him sticking with his style of changing it, I just find it interesting when he has changed it.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that he changed it immediately after the meeting with the players following the St Mirren game.