PDA

View Full Version : The defence

Unseen work
28-02-2024, 12:27 AM
Couple of points I was thinking about lately and wanted others thoughts.

With Triantis coming in it doesn’t seem that he’s an obvious upgrade on Rocky, however will we see us mixing who we start depending on the opposition. For example Rocky against teams likely to play bigger physical strikers and Triantis against the quicker ones?

I think Triantis has a lot of good attributes however needs to get upto speed quick and learn the physicality side of it.

The other one I wanted to discuss is Lewis Miller.

A good defender, really powerful player however is he suited to Montgomery? I find him frustrating with his diving/always trying to win a foul anyway but it’s his passing forward I’m not sure suits us.

I can imagine Monty wanting a right back similar to Obita that can play a good ball forward, good cross or pick a man out. For me Miller really struggles with even the simplest of passes down the line to Boyle, if we had someone of Obita’s style on the right I think we’d find Boyle in really threatening positions alot more often.

So do we think Monty might be willing to replace him in the summer as he might get a good fee for him? Obvious one would be Ryan Strain as he is out of contract, Australian, knows the league and is very good on the ball, albeit not nearly as physical or good defensively.

Miller obviously has loads he’s good at, but it’s almost a head down and charge into the space rather than anything intricate.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2024, 04:17 AM

With Triantis coming in it doesn’t seem that he’s an obvious upgrade on Rocky, however will we see us mixing who we start depending on the opposition. For example Rocky against teams likely to play bigger physical strikers and Triantis against the quicker ones?

I think Triantis has a lot of good attributes however needs to get upto speed quick and learn the physicality side of it.

A good defender, really powerful player however is he suited to Montgomery? I find him frustrating with his diving/always trying to win a foul anyway but it’s his passing forward I’m not sure suits us.

I can imagine Monty wanting a right back similar to Obita that can play a good ball forward, good cross or pick a man out. For me Miller really struggles with even the simplest of passes down the line to Boyle, if we had someone of Obita’s style on the right I think we’d find Boyle in really threatening positions alot more often.

So do we think Monty might be willing to replace him in the summer as he might get a good fee for him? Obvious one would be Ryan Strain as he is out of contract, Australian, knows the league and is very good on the ball, albeit not nearly as physical or good defensively.

Miller obviously has loads he’s good at, but it’s almost a head down and charge into the space rather than anything intricate.

Triantis might be better as a defensive midfielder.................

wookie70
28-02-2024, 10:38 AM

Not sure there is a problem with Rocky's pace as he seems plenty quick enough to me. Triantis has been poor since he signed but lots of players start off like that in Scotland. I'd start Rocky and Fish tonight as Hanlon looked off the pace when he come on at the weekend and I don't think Triantis is ready yet

Centre Hawf
28-02-2024, 11:17 AM
If there’s a chance to get Ryan Strain I’d love to see us go for it personally. I’m not sure I see enough in Miller or at least him developing over the course of the last year or so.

Triantis for me is probably the 4th choice CB when Hanlon is back up to fitness, which I don’t think he is still yet.

Unseen work
28-02-2024, 11:41 AM
Not sure there is a problem with Rocky's pace as he seems plenty quick enough to me. Triantis has been poor since he signed but lots of players start off like that in Scotland. I'd start Rocky and Fish tonight as Hanlon looked off the pace when he come on at the weekend and I don't think Triantis is ready yet

Yeah sorry was meaning more the smaller, sharper strikers in the league as opposed to just pace as I agree Rocky is quick.