PDA

View Full Version : Memories of the East…

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2024, 09:37 AM
courtesy of HibernianRetro.

So what are your top memories of the East?

Mine:
- Basking in the sunshine watching KT and Broony smiling and laughing full of confidence playing keepy-uppie before a game Versus Rangers in front of the East. KT scored that day.
- Skol Cup return
- FC Liege game - so busy I had to stand in the South
- Intensity of the first Derby game post Mercer bid FAIL.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/hHKyDaK6p4pgsnTt/?mibextid=WC7FNe (https://www.facebook.com/share/p/hHKyDaK6p4pgsnTt/?mibextid=WC7FNe)

Bostonhibby
20-02-2024, 10:01 AM
Loved the atmosphere, got quite a few great memories of when it was like this, and earlier versions.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240220/c38c35778b986856b45514054c1bf2c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibby rae
20-02-2024, 10:43 AM
Steaming at the 1-0 going on 10 if not for Craig Gordon (something like 81% possession) QF win against Hearts in 2006/7.

When Jones scored I got back to my feet three rows in front of me without a scratch on me.

Hiber-nation
20-02-2024, 10:50 AM
The 4-3 against Celtic in the Scottish Cup back in 86. Absolute carnage when Eddie May headed in the winner.

2 more mayhem moments -

GOC's late winner against them in 2003.

Latapy's goal in the 6-2.

lyonhibs
20-02-2024, 11:49 AM
The game shortly after George Best died against Der Hun. Won 2-1 and could've been about 4 up in the first 30 minutes.

"what's it like to **** a Hun" at Caldwell for 90 minutes was great fun.

Very much of its time, which has been and gone, but the Romanov and Paul Hartley love tryst song when we beat them 2 - 1 with Benji scoring and then being restrained by Zibi on his way to the Dunbar end is another favourite memories.

gbhibby
20-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Best memories 4 3 Celtic Eddie May winner.
The Souness debut game

Worst memory CS Gas game against Celtic

HendoDelivered
20-02-2024, 12:18 PM
Loved the atmosphere, got quite a few great memories of when it was like this, and earlier versions.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240220/c38c35778b986856b45514054c1bf2c4.jpg

What a photo that is 🫶

Hibbyradge
20-02-2024, 12:24 PM
I remember it when it was simply the "main terrace".

Bostonhibby
20-02-2024, 12:25 PM
What a photo that is 🫶Straight of my Bathroom wall[emoji16]

scm70nyd1973
20-02-2024, 12:29 PM
Best memories 4 3 Celtic Eddie May winner.
The Souness debut game

Worst memory CS Gas game against Celtic

Mental x 100 when Eddie scored - sheer ecstasy

Souness game was epic - lovely warm day too

Re the CS game - I’d just got back from a 5 week trip to OZ - went to see my mum and then went straight to the game - genuinely thought there was gonna be a disaster on our hands when the barrier in front of us collapsed 🤬

I’ve got to add the last game of the season in 1986 - hardly anyone there so when the first went in it was like being in a huge dance hall - mental beyond belief 🍾🎉🍻🍷

Hibbyradge
20-02-2024, 12:45 PM
Mental x 100 when Eddie scored - sheer ecstasy

Souness game was epic - lovely warm day too

Re the CS game - I’d just got back from a 5 week trip to OZ - went to see my mum and then went straight to the game - genuinely thought there was gonna be a disaster on our hands when the barrier in front of us collapsed 🤬

I’ve got to add the last game of the season in 1986 - hardly anyone there so when the first went in it was like being in a huge dance hall - mental beyond belief 🍾🎉🍻🍷

I was at all of those games.

I remember Joe Tortolano was about to take a throw in when an almighty roar* went up because Dundee had scored. He siht himself.

*As almighty a roar as 3500 (less Arab fans) people could make! 😃

Since452
20-02-2024, 01:40 PM
My dad almost killing me celebrating when Kevin Harper scored the winner after running from his own half in the derby. 1998?

Remember the bizarre Scottish weather of sunshine, hail, snow and sunshine again all within a couple of hours.

Bushwoof
20-02-2024, 01:45 PM
Falling over the seats when Latapy put in no 6.

And Chris Hogg jumping up on the fence to remonstrate with some guy down the front who'd been dishing out abuse for the full 90 mins.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2024, 01:59 PM
Standing on the old high terrace freezing my nuts off totally exposed to the elements

Standing on the same terrace fully clothed under a running cold shower celebrating Joe Harper scoring the winner versus Liverpool

Watching Joe Harper scoring the opener I think our first goal in the Premier League from 30 yards in a 1-0 win over Hearts

2-1 Souness game versus the Hun

4-3 Celtic in the Cup They don’t like it up em

1-0 Eddie May versus Hearts

James Collins scoring versus Hearts

Getting tear gassed from the Smellies

Hillsidehibby
20-02-2024, 02:14 PM
My dad almost killing me celebrating when Kevin Harper scored the winner after running from his own half in the derby. 1998?

Remember the bizarre Scottish weather of sunshine, hail, snow and sunshine again all within a couple of hours.
I got headbutted and kissed by a total stranger when that went in.

Bostonhibby
20-02-2024, 02:20 PM
Standing in what I was convinced was directly in line with the melee where Souness got sent off on his debut and wee Sally McCoist hit someone then ran away.

Bought the picture with the crowd in view years later and we wurnae there[emoji1]

DickieDastardly
20-02-2024, 02:40 PM
Before the seats were installed the sweet waft of hash drifting across the terracing.....

Smartie
20-02-2024, 04:37 PM
Tam Scobbie for Falkirk being chopped right in front of the East and giving out a sort of harsh, effeminate, high-pitched banshee screech… meaning that every time the ball went near him for the rest of the game, the whole East collectively produced a noise the like of which I’d never heard before and haven’t heard since, trying to mimic the screech.

I still occasionally chuckle a bit just thinking about it.

Kato
20-02-2024, 05:00 PM
Getting an Edinburgh Festival review in the Guardian for being one of the most entertaining shows on the fringe.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Green forever
20-02-2024, 05:01 PM
Beating Rangers 2-1 in Souness' first game where he got sent off. Unbelievable atmosphere and scenes.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2024, 05:07 PM
Chic Charnley’s assist from Henrik Larrson

Scenes man scenes !

What could go wrong ?

Keith_M
20-02-2024, 05:12 PM
First ever game I saw against Rangers, 13 years old, standing next to the barrier near the half way line, avoiding bottles being thrown by visiting 'fans' from the back of the terracing.

Three weeks later, same experience against Celtc.

Malthibby
20-02-2024, 05:35 PM
Chic Charnley’s assist from Henrik Larrson

Scenes man scenes !

What could go wrong ?

:greengrin Remember that day so clearly, telling my mate that Celtic had bought a huddy.......:rolleyes:

Waxy
20-02-2024, 05:38 PM
The 2-1 win against them in 87. Hadn’t beat them in a long time and the atmosphere must have been the most electric in history.
This one followed by the 4-3 Celtic Scottish cup game

lugz
20-02-2024, 05:48 PM
Being in there for the Athens game was amazing.

Might sound dramatic but once the terracing was gone it felt like we lost a piece of the club. Having a bigger nicer stadium is fantastic but the atmosphere has rarely been the same since.

Hibs4185
20-02-2024, 05:50 PM
I only ever started one song in my entire life and it was the rudi skacel song in the last ever game before it was demolished .

lugz
20-02-2024, 05:51 PM
I only ever started one song in my entire life and it was the rudi skacel song in the last ever game before it was demolished .

Oh how times have changed.

The Modfather
20-02-2024, 05:56 PM
The AEK Athens game. Bizarrely a jambo from school came with us and I can still remember him on the ground below the bucket seats when Luna scored his second. He was not prepared for the carnage of the terracing or Hibs on a European night!

BoomtownHibees
20-02-2024, 06:24 PM
The ball going in to the East and being replaced by a rugby ball that was thrown back on to the pitch. Was around when Hearts were talking about moving to Murrayfield

Winston Ingram
20-02-2024, 06:25 PM
I remember having to climb up the girders at the back to see as the East was absolutely rammed. Dave Beaumont scored and I end it up 20 yards from the front.

Chorley Hibee
20-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Getting lifted, as a teenager, after a full-scale rammy broke out on the East between us and the cops against the Huns.

Cops tried to take my flag down at the front of the East stand, which didn't go down well with quite a few of the old-school nutters around me.

Whilst that rammy was going on, another guy got on the pitch and attacked Goram.

ancient hibee
20-02-2024, 06:41 PM
I remember it when it was simply the "main terrace".

In all its glory. Only the top section was concrete. The other two thirds was mud and wood .

Nicho87
20-02-2024, 06:43 PM
The toilets in the east.

cave men had better facilities

Tambo
20-02-2024, 06:48 PM
Only experienced it a few times, once in the Dirk Lehmann 2-2 vs Motherwell and a hearts game that I can't remember.

Alex Trager
20-02-2024, 06:50 PM
I remember that stand extremely fondly, just as everyone else has mentioned.

I started to properly go along to games under Collins and it didn’t matter who we were playing, that stand had a barry atmosphere.

I remember a good few games from it, but I also remember looking up at Arthurs Seat on a gloomy afternoon, no idea who we were playing but fairly certain we were being beat at half time.

Hitting the bar on the way out as well.

Weird wee things.

Incidentally, I seen the seat that I took out from the last day in there in my attic on Saturday.

The Modfather
20-02-2024, 07:02 PM
Tapping the gate on the way out. What was the history behind that? Remember a Scotland friendly, against Sweden I think, at Easter Road and spotting the fellow Hibees touching the gate in the way out.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2024, 07:06 PM
I've still got my old East stand season ticket books.

LithgaeHibby
20-02-2024, 07:08 PM
2-0 vs pre-2012 Rangers, Houchen and Weir, August 1989. What an atmosphere in the East Terracing that day.

Used to love the banter, and the individual abuse that the likes of Mike Galloway, Peter Grant, Richard Gough etc would get. Definitely gave us an advantage. No opposition player would fancy getting a throw in or making a foul near the East in those days. All too sanitised these days, it's not the same.

DIXIHIBS
20-02-2024, 07:59 PM
Tapping the gate on the way out. What was the history behind that? Remember a Scotland friendly, against Sweden I think, at Easter Road and spotting the fellow Hibees touching the gate in the way out.

Remember lifting my laddie a few times when he was too wee to reach the gate. Loved the old East...stadium definitely lost something after it was gone. Probably other clubs will say the same after their stadiums were modernised.

The Harp
20-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Most memorable game for me would have to be the 3-2 Fairs Cup victory against Barcelona. As laddies we used to watch games from the high east terracing - the view from up there was amazing.

jacomo
20-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Before the seats were installed the sweet waft of hash drifting across the terracing.....

I remember a Sunday lunchtime game v Celtc and 3/4 of the crowd in the east looked like they’d come straight from Saturday night partying without any sleep in between. The game was sh*te but the atmosphere was fun.

I miss that sense of anarchy…

wookie70
20-02-2024, 08:52 PM
So many memories, good and bad of the east. The old east memory would be George Best's debut. It was absolutely rammed that day and I suspect Tom Hart got most of his cash back in gate receipts for that game alone. The taxman certainly never got his full whack. Skol Cup Tourney was an early memory of me going with mates. Chocolate Coventry strip and a win against Hearts(if only I knew then it wasn't always like that).

AEK Athens was amazing as was the Souness brawl game. McGinley, Goram and Chic all scoring from our half all memorable moments but I think one of my favourite memories is watching Hibs get beat 2-1 by Dundee Utd. There was less than 4000 at the game which finished off a truly miserable season. Most of us saw very little of our team getting defeated as we were huddled round trannies(small radios for the kids reading) with reports of captains on toilets and Heroes in blue making the end of season defeat a pretty happy affair for those of us that bothered to attend.

A wee personal one was taking my son to the last game before it came down. He had only been to FFL but he had to go at least once.

The thing I remember most overall about the east was going with a big group of mates though. Mostly through the boredom of the Miller years. Drunk, smoking cigars and singing our selves hoarse week in week out. The football was crap but the days we went were brilliant.

One Day Soon
20-02-2024, 10:12 PM
I've still got my old East stand season ticket books.

Me too! I loved that terrace. Great when it was just steps and rails and great when it was bench seating. What an atmosphere.

cubehindthegoal
20-02-2024, 10:33 PM
:greengrin Remember that day so clearly, telling my mate that Celtic had bought a huddy.......:rolleyes:

I mind everyone I talked to thought Larsson couldn’t do it in the scottish game, after seeing him for first time at easter road, it was so clear to us all … 😂 .. just like monty and managing here now maybe ?

Ok, I couldn’t resists that comparison .. lol.

I remember the east being a gigantic hill of steps, like a pyramid, when I was a kid … to somehow find a way to climb in … our dads couldn’t afford to give us the entry fee, and although liftovers were ok still, the excitement of the afternoon with the goal of trying to get in for nothing … and by the way not all my pals were hibs fans .. didn’t matter tho … and if we’d fail at the east then trying all around the ground, how to get in … before they did the paint stuff on top of the wall, and maybe spikes before that, though i could be having memory issues there lol

Also just walking about the place … doing “stuff” … flicking beer can rings 😂… it wasn’t just about sitting there and moaning about Hibs 😂

God I’m old. Always be an old Hibs fan though 😊

Bakerman
20-02-2024, 11:06 PM
First experience of the East was Shaws Heights. For a young lad in the seventies it was some viewing area. Looked to me as if we were indeed up amongst the heavens. Since then, I've seen many transformations of it. Its now a lovely stand, that looks great when full. I've watched many a memorable game already mentioned on here, in there, however, one stands out as a cracker was the dundee utd 0-0 game, on a damp day, watching a bog standard match, when the news filtered through on the many transistor mini radio's that folk took to games to keep abreast of other Scottish football matches, that Albert Kidd had put Dundee ahead against the Jambo's. Marvellous, and got the biggest cheer at the game that day. We left ER whooping and happy as pigs in the doo dah. Albert Kidd had no idea that day, that he'd end up a Hibernian legend.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-02-2024, 12:01 AM
First experience of the East was Shaws Heights. For a young lad in the seventies it was some viewing area. Looked to me as if we were indeed up amongst the heavens. Since then, I've seen many transformations of it. Its now a lovely stand, that looks great when full. I've watched many a memorable game already mentioned on here, in there, however, one stands out as a cracker was the dundee utd 0-0 game, on a damp day, watching a bog standard match, when the news filtered through on the many transistor mini radio's that folk took to games to keep abreast of other Scottish football matches, that Albert Kidd had put Dundee ahead against the Jambo's. Marvellous, and got the biggest cheer at the game that day. We left ER whooping and happy as pigs in the doo dah. Albert Kidd had no idea that day, that he'd end up a Hibernian legend.

United won 2-1 that day.

Bakerman
21-02-2024, 12:10 AM
United won 2-1 that day.

Ah well, memories not what it used to be. At least I got us playing against the correct team though :greengrin. Was a pretty crap game, until the news filtered through that the Jambos were being beaten. :aok:

hibby rae
21-02-2024, 07:40 AM
A 3-2 win (I think) against Dundee United in 04/05. Murphy's first season with us. He goes into a 50/50 right infront of thr East and the other player, in my memory, somersaults when Murph goes through him.

The entire stand is chanting his name, the United player is unmoving heap on the ground, and Murph is just pacing in a little circle absolutely pumped

Gettin' Auld
21-02-2024, 07:52 AM
The days of no segregation on the vast terrace and praying that you never needed to use the open air bogs.

Bridge hibs
21-02-2024, 07:59 AM
I loved the East, not so much the vast open terrace but moreso when it was reduced and the roof put on, pure radgeism especially v the rangers, celtc and hearts

scm70nyd1973
21-02-2024, 08:15 AM
United won 2-1 that day.

Terrible game it was - They scored right at the end and I remember that by then it was 1-0 to Dundee and I recall cheering their goal as I was beyond ecstatic - we’d have cheered at a kettle boiling by that point.

Beedie scored for them - last goal of the season - he scored the first goal of the following season for us - good trivia equestrian too.

Brizo
21-02-2024, 09:30 AM
Going as a young laddie to the old open unseated East and the absolute pre-segregation carnage with the Huns and Hertz when the opposing fans were only separated by a thin line of police.

Standing on the upper tier of it with my Dad and then moving down to the lower tier halfway line or Cave end corner when I started going with pals

Watching Leeds, Liverpool , Juventus and others from the East and us going toe to toe with them.

Climbing over the wall to get in when I had no cash.

The wilderness years of the early 80s when crowds of 4 or 5 thousand weren't uncommon and the wind and rain blasted the few of us on the vast terracing

Starting a chant of "Super Tortolano" at the last game of the old East.

Greensunshine
21-02-2024, 09:44 AM
A game against Rangers ( not sure which one ) Super Ally & Terry Butcher were out on the pitch warming up knocking the ball about to each other quite near the East stand.

Suffice to say they were getting pelters from the fans and I always remember this, McCoist bending down with his arse facing us and giving us the two fingered salute from between his legs whilst pissing himself laughing.

It was a nice moment in a fixture filled with hatred.
I’ll never forget it, something so simple. I think most of of our supporters laughed out loud.
Good stuff from McCoist. Butcher was seen to be s******ing also!

Lester B
21-02-2024, 10:12 AM
As a kid I remember what seemed like climbing a mountain on the old full terracing and on midweek games the floodlights were already on. Looked like a magical place.

As others have said, the Souness match had an astounding atmosphere.

Serenading Steve Fulton after he got booked was fun too

Since452
21-02-2024, 10:17 AM

Yeah it felt wrong not doing that.

Also the toora loora loola guy who just randomly stared singing his song during games

Good memories

WeeRussell
21-02-2024, 10:46 AM
Yeah it felt wrong not doing that.

Also the toora loora loola guy who just randomly stared singing his song during games

Good memories

I know some refer to a couple of derbies since the new East arrived, but I truly believe the atmosphere in Easter road has never been the same since we lost the ‘terracing’. It’s not a complaint as such as appreciate we have to move with the times, but they truly were the good old days of football.

** I’m not suggesting the toorelay guy was the atmosphere 😁

Alex Trager
21-02-2024, 11:21 AM
I know some refer to a couple of derbies since the new East arrived, but I truly believe the atmosphere in Easter road has never been the same since we lost the ‘terracing’. It’s not a complaint as such as appreciate we have to move with the times, but they truly were the good old days of football.

** I’m not suggesting the toorelay guy was the atmosphere 😁
I think there was something quite gritty about the old east that made it that *****y atmosphere most weeks.

You also have to remember that we have had only a few decent seasons since the new east, and one of them, we were locked out.

Kato
21-02-2024, 11:30 AM
erra macaroon bars ina spearmint choongum

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
21-02-2024, 11:50 AM
I think there was something quite gritty about the old east that made it that *****y atmosphere most weeks.

You also have to remember that we have had only a few decent seasons since the new east, and one of them, we were locked out.

That’s true I guess - most fond memories are during Mowbray era and some select good times right enough.

I still pine for the old standing on the seat as the ball went up to the blind corner though 😁

ancient hibee
21-02-2024, 02:26 PM
Changing ends at half time along the muddy channel below the top section. Away fans coming in the opposite direction.Doing the same before kick off when the Hibs lost the toss and got put down the hill instead of kicking towards the Dunbar end.Probably as dangerous as the Somme. Segregation is for wimps!

heretoday
21-02-2024, 03:38 PM
I can remember standing at the top watching matches and folk swigging from cans. Once there was a guy in raincoat, shirt and tie curled up asleep on the terrace!