PDA

View Full Version : Tony mowbray : Breaking news

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2024, 09:59 AM
TONY MOWBRAY

According to newspaper reports Tony Mowbray has been struck down by a mystery serious illness and requires medical treatment and will temporarily step away from his post as Manager of Birmingham City for a period of 6-8 weeks

Assistant Manager Mark Venus will take temporary charge of the team with immediate effect

Our thoughts are with Tony and his family for a full and speedy recovery

Get well soon Boss

Daily Mail

Trinity Hibee
19-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Wishing him all the best for a quick recovery. Great manager and a lovely guy

Jones28
19-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Speedy recovery Mogga

Lancs Harp
19-02-2024, 10:02 AM
Wishing Tony a full recovery.

matty_f
19-02-2024, 10:02 AM
Get well soon, Mogga.

Betty Boop
19-02-2024, 10:05 AM
Terrible news hope he has a speedy recovery

GRA
19-02-2024, 10:08 AM
All the best Mogga hope the treatment goes well!

ChilliEater
19-02-2024, 10:11 AM
My favourite Hibs manager. Hope he's okay.

marinello59
19-02-2024, 10:13 AM
All the best to him, hopefully a speedy recovery.

DarlingtonHibee
19-02-2024, 10:14 AM
Best wishes. Genuinely good guy.

hibsbollah
19-02-2024, 10:15 AM
My favourite Hibs manager. Hope he's okay.

Same, he changed the culture of the club top to bottom. We played some great stuff at times and had some wonderful players with Boozy, the Moroccans and that young midfield. Wish he'd won a trophy with us.

hibeelin
19-02-2024, 10:17 AM
Great Guy
Great Boss

All the best Mogga, get well soon💚

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-02-2024, 10:34 AM
He was good entertainment in Daugavpils when he and Venus were trawling the local bars on the lookout for any Hibs players that might've gone astray, that was their story anyway! 😊

Get well soon Tony. 🤞

Hiber-nation
19-02-2024, 10:37 AM
All the best Mogga 👍

McSwanky
19-02-2024, 10:50 AM
Lovely man. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Lago
19-02-2024, 10:59 AM
The stress that comes with football management, we shouldn't under estimate it, Roy at Crystal Palace, now Tony also one of the reasons Jurgen leaving Liverpool at seasons end.

He's here!
19-02-2024, 11:05 AM
Same, he changed the culture of the club top to bottom. We played some great stuff at times and had some wonderful players with Boozy, the Moroccans and that young midfield. Wish he'd won a trophy with us.

It was pretty much the team he built which went on to lift the League Cup the season after he left and I recall him saying how delighted he was to see them win a trophy. I initially thought Collins had elevated things to the next level, but once he started bringing in his own signings things started to unravel.

All the best to him. Great manager for Hibs and by all accounts a lovely bloke.

Carheenlea
19-02-2024, 11:14 AM
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and that he’s back in the dugout within the timescale estimated.

And as requested by the family, hopefully the media respect their wishes for privacy during this time.

scm70nyd1973
19-02-2024, 11:19 AM
Echo all that’s been said on this thread.

Nice to win a trophy but I sometimes think that I’d rather be entertained week on week by a team like Mogga had for the time he was at the wheel - even when we didn’t win

It was a great ride so it was 😁

Murphys Touch
19-02-2024, 11:44 AM
I was 17/18/19 when Mogga was in charge....that time when you are going to the match yourself with mates, few pints before games, away buses etc!!!

What a team and what a gaffer!

This guy didn't need 4/5 transfer windows to implement his complex style of football. His first "1st team" coaching role too.....Hibs Class indeed

He's taken 10 points from 18 since being appointed at Birmingham....from a team in free fall.

Thats a gaffer and someone who knows what they are doing!

HFC93
19-02-2024, 11:58 AM
The stress that comes with football management, we shouldn't under estimate it, Roy at Crystal Palace, now Tony also one of the reasons Jurgen leaving Liverpool at seasons end.

Being a football manager must be horrendous for your physical and mental health.

Since452
19-02-2024, 11:59 AM
Terrible. Get well soon Tony.

Bostonhibby
19-02-2024, 12:00 PM
Very good Hibs manager and a top guy, I wish him well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Haymaker
19-02-2024, 12:23 PM
I was 17/18/19 when Mogga was in charge....that time when you are going to the match yourself with mates, few pints before games, away buses etc!!!

This guy didn't need 4/5 transfer windows to implement his complex style of football. His first "1st team" coaching role too.....Hibs Class indeed

He's taken 10 points from 18 since being appointed at Birmingham....from a team in free fall.

To be fair, Birmingham were not a shabby team before Rooney appeared. He was useless! But yes, he can organize a team well and has done a good job there.

Trinity Hibee
19-02-2024, 12:39 PM

You must be around my age as it was when I was coming to the end of playing 11s on a Saturday/Sunday that Mogga was in charge. I got a season ticket again and my god it was brilliant. Will never experience that excitement again with Hibs in my life.

hibsbollah
19-02-2024, 12:59 PM
You must be around my age as it was when I was coming to the end of playing 11s on a Saturday/Sunday that Mogga was in charge. I got a season ticket again and my god it was brilliant. Will never experience that excitement again with Hibs in my life.

There was a 7-0 against livingston when Chris Killen had just joined, Riordan, O'Connor, Steven Fletcher, Sproule all playing like the Famous Five...

Baader
19-02-2024, 01:01 PM
Get well soon Mogga. Top bloke, fantastic manager for us.

marinello59
19-02-2024, 01:02 PM
There was a 7-0 against livingston when Chris Killen had just joined, Riordan, O'Connor, Steven Fletcher, Sproule all playing like the Famous Five...

A mid-week game, we could have scored more, we were so good that night.

badabing67
19-02-2024, 01:25 PM
All the best big guy... Haste ye back :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
19-02-2024, 01:31 PM
A mid-week game, we could have scored more, we were so good that night.

We were brilliant.

Kenny Dalglish's son, Paul, played for Livi that night, iirc.

Just_Jimmy
19-02-2024, 01:35 PM
We were brilliant.

Kenny Dalglish's son, Paul, played for Livi that night, iirc.He did not. I thought he did too so I checked, they were:

Livingston: McKenzie, McNamee (Snodgrass 67), Pinxten, Strong, Mackay, Lambert (Adams 72), Walker, Dair, Tierney, Hislop (Scott 45), Hoolahan. Subs Not Used: Roy, Dorado, Dorrans, Vincze.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Not So Young
19-02-2024, 01:42 PM
Get well soon Tony

WeeRussell
19-02-2024, 01:46 PM
We were brilliant.

Kenny Dalglish's son, Paul, played for Livi that night, iirc.

Made football look easy. So much fun to watch in those days.

Get well soon, Tony.

PatHead
19-02-2024, 01:55 PM
Get well soon Tony.

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 02:23 PM
Get well quickly Tony, made watching Hibernian an absolute treat again.

AngloHibs
19-02-2024, 02:52 PM
Mogga was Bruce Rioch's captain during the Boro's liquidation crisis of 1986 and the subsequent consecutive promotions. I followed the club home and away during that time, and they were the best times of my football supporting life. Mogga will always be a legend to me and many like me (despite having managed Sunderland), and everyone down here will be wishing him a swift recovery.

On a different note, Arriva North East has a small "Boro Legends" fleet of buses, and as a driver I often get to drive the bus named after Tony Mowbray. For any bus nerds out there, it's Fleet Number 1444, currently based at Redcar depot.

Vault Boy
19-02-2024, 02:55 PM
Get well soon, Mogga. First Hibs manager I have memories of as a child, and what a way to start. They don’t come much better than him. 💚

hibsbollah
19-02-2024, 03:02 PM
Mogga was Bruce Rioch's captain during the Boro's liquidation crisis of 1986 and the subsequent consecutive promotions. I followed the club home and away during that time, and they were the best times of my football supporting life. Mogga will always be a legend to me and many like me (despite having managed Sunderland), and everyone down here will be wishing him a swift recovery.

On a different note, Arriva North East has a small "Boro Legends" fleet of buses, and as a driver I often get to drive the bus named after Tony Mowbray. For any bus nerds out there, it's Fleet Number 1444, currently based at Redcar depot.

Brilliant!

VoltaireHibs
19-02-2024, 03:47 PM
Best wishes to TM and his family, hope he makes a full recovery.

My favourite Hibs manager overall. Stubbs a very close second.

Greensunshine
19-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Always enjoyed his time as a Hibs manager. Honest and very down to earth, I really hope he makes a speedy recover!

Get well soon Tony!

19-02-2024, 05:05 PM
Speedy recovery Tony. Hopefully taking this step back will allow him to get whatever the issue is sorted.

A fabulous manager for Hibernian at a time when we needed one badly. Will always be grateful to him developing and bringing through the golden generation while adding the likes of Jones, Murphy, Sproule, Zemmama, Benji, etc that played the best brand of football I’d seen at Easter Road since I was a boy and the Tornadoes.

Pretty Boy
19-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Probably my favourite Hibs manager. I loved watching his Hibs team and he has always seemed a thoroughly decent man. I could never get all that worked up about the Celtic huddle thing so many seem to hold against him.

Wishing him all the best and hope he's back fighting fit soon.

Keith_M
19-02-2024, 05:49 PM
Something that reflects the difference Mowbray made was the increase in average attendance at Easter Road, 3.400 higher than the previous season.

We would have games against Rangers and Celtc and knew we had a decent chance of winning, even at Ibrox and Celtc Park

A wonderful time to be a Hibby.

wallpaperman
19-02-2024, 05:50 PM
He did not. I thought he did too so I checked, they were:

Livingston: McKenzie, McNamee (Snodgrass 67), Pinxten, Strong, Mackay, Lambert (Adams 72), Walker, Dair, Tierney, Hislop (Scott 45), Hoolahan. Subs Not Used: Roy, Dorado, Dorrans, Vincze.

I’m sure Paul Dalglish was in the Hibs team that night. Best wishes to Tony.

Edit: I can see he wasn’t in the team, maybe I was sitting near him or something, something about that game and Paul Dalglish rings a bell!

Joe6-2
19-02-2024, 05:51 PM
All the best Tony

Tambo
19-02-2024, 07:38 PM
Get well soon Mogga.

Just_Jimmy
19-02-2024, 07:48 PM

On a different note, Arriva North East has a small "Boro Legends" fleet of buses, and as a driver I often get to drive the bus named after Tony Mowbray. For any bus nerds out there, it's Fleet Number 1444, currently based at Redcar depot.That's cool. I didn't know bus nerds were a thing, but it's cool.

McD
19-02-2024, 08:14 PM

Was that the same season we put 9 past someone in the cup?

I remember listening to the radio in the car the following day, grant stott and a hearts supporting presenter (who’s name I can’t remember) were on, both had been at the game. The hearts fan was saying when we got to 6, he was praying that if we scored again we’d get another after that, just so the 7-0 references wouldn’t come out :greengrin

Hibbyradge
19-02-2024, 08:22 PM

I'm driving up to play Cleveland Links on Friday so I'll keep an eye out for any buses!

Hibbyradge
19-02-2024, 08:31 PM
I’m sure Paul Dalglish was in the Hibs team that night. Best wishes to Tony.

Edit: I can see he wasn’t in the team, maybe I was sitting near him or something, something about that game and Paul Dalglish rings a bell!

I could have sworn that he had played for Livi that night, but he must have been in my head because we had just signed him a few days earlier at the end of the January window.

The memory can't be trusted!

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 08:39 PM
I could have sworn that he had played for Livi that night, but he must have been in my head because we had just signed him a few days earlier at the end of the January window.

The memory can't be trusted!

He signed from Livi for us at the end of January that year. We played Livi in Feb/March I'm sure. He of course set up Benji with the layoff in a 2-1 win over hertz.

Bakerman
19-02-2024, 08:41 PM
Wishing you well, and are back on your feet again soon Tony. A golden time when you were Hibernian Manager.

I enjoyed this video of Stephen Glass, on TM's tenure. A good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRU9Fv7obzI

Hibbyradge
19-02-2024, 08:41 PM
He signed from Livi for us at the end of January that year. We played Livi in Feb/March I'm sure. He of course set up Benji with the layoff in a 2-1 win over hertz.

Yes, the game was on the 8th of February 2006.

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 08:43 PM
Yes, the game was on the 8th of February 2006.

:aok: it was bloody freezing too.

Just_Jimmy
19-02-2024, 08:54 PM
Wishing you well, and are back on your feet again soon Tony. A golden time when you were Hibernian Manager.

I enjoyed this video of Stephen Glass, on TM's tenure. A good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRU9Fv7obzIDecent that.

Hits home on our recent woes too and what I keep saying. You can tell early on who has it and who doesn't and thats usually right.

Bakerman
19-02-2024, 09:06 PM
Decent that.

Hits home on our recent woes too and what I keep saying. You can tell early on who has it and who doesn't and thats usually right.

TM signed Ivan Sproule. Probably my favorite ever Hibs winger, since goodness knows when. Watched Ivan score a hat trick at Ibrox, and it was magical. Squirrel is right up there too, and when he retires, he'll be held up as a hibs legend. TM's time as manager was simply brilliant, and as everyone else does, I hope he recovers soon. You can tell the respect that Stephen Glass holds for TM in that interview, and Stephen is an intelligent articulate guy, just as he was a footballer.

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 09:10 PM
Was it Dunfermline Glass scored a peach of a volley to win a game for us towards the end under Mowbray? Might have been right before Christmas.

HibbyAndy
19-02-2024, 09:18 PM
Was it Dunfermline Glass scored a peach of a volley to win a game for us towards the end under Mowbray? Might have been right before Christmas.

Aberdeen

Hibs won 2-1

Scooter
19-02-2024, 09:21 PM
All the best Tony, speedy recovery.

Sparrows tongue
19-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Best wishes, Tony.

I hope you make a full recovery. :flag:

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 09:33 PM
Aberdeen

Hibs won 2-1

Cheers Andy. Sure we won late against Dunfermline too around the same time too, but maybe not.

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2024, 09:33 PM
Love him. Wish nothing but the best for him. He brought me so much joy with that team of his.

Get well soon Tony.

Chorley Hibee
19-02-2024, 10:22 PM
Cheers Andy. Sure we won late against Dunfermline too around the same time too, but maybe not.

We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas.

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2024, 10:38 PM
My memory of Tony Mowbray’s time at Hibs was he was like a text book Manager always had the perfect answers and at the perfect time never spoke about the opposition but always gave them the respect they deserved

One stand out memory for me was Mowbray took his Teenage Kicks up to Tannadice on Boxing Day ( Tsunami) and Dundee United fancied it I think they had just signed the goalkeeper Tony Bullock but the goalden generation fancied it more and backed by a large and vocal travelling support resplendent in their all white attire they blew the Arabs away 1-4 on their own sand patch with a devastating display of fast attacking football

Get well soon Boss

Hibeesdaft16
19-02-2024, 10:57 PM
We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas.

Thanks mate. Glad I'm not losing it completely. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2024, 11:55 PM
In the near 50 years I've been going to see Hibs his team is one of the very few that deserved the use of the word 'swashbuckling' .... get well soon Tony.

Donegal Hibby
20-02-2024, 12:16 AM
The football we played when Mowbray was our manager was quite something. Wish him well .

Just_Jimmy
20-02-2024, 08:24 AM
My memory of Tony Mowbray’s time at Hibs was he was like a text book Manager always had the perfect answers and at the perfect time never spoke about the opposition but always gave them the respect they deserved

One stand out memory for me was Mowbray took his Teenage Kicks up to Tannadice on Boxing Day ( Tsunami) and Dundee United fancied it I think they had just signed the goalkeeper Tony Bullock but the goalden generation fancied it more and backed by a large and vocal travelling support resplendent in their all white attire they blew the Arabs away 1-4 on their own sand patch with a devastating display of fast attacking football

Get well soon BossRiordan
O'Connor
Orman
Morrow

Orman was excellent that day. I was absolutely hanging from the night before.

Jason scotland scored for them to put them 1-0 up. Assisted by future Hibs Managerial legend Derek McInnes. [emoji6]

Dan Sarf
20-02-2024, 08:42 AM
As I reported at the time, a young female photographer who worked for the Edinburgh Evening News (a newspaper in those days) described him as "The sort of man you'd like to have as your Dad."

Loved watching his fearless young team play.

lapsedhibee
20-02-2024, 09:11 AM

Can't remember who the Livi manager was at the time, but on the radio after the game he described the score as "seven going on fifteen".

marinello59
20-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Can't remember who the Livi manager was at the time, but on the radio after the game he described the score as "seven going on fifteen".

Paul Lambert.

Tricla
20-02-2024, 09:20 AM
Get well soon Mogga. Your team was the best I've had the pleasure of watching.

lapsedhibee
20-02-2024, 09:24 AM
Paul Lambert.

:aok:

hibsbollah
20-02-2024, 09:28 AM

A joyous evening. I have a photo of the scoreboard somewhere, its not a scoreline you see often.

neil7908
20-02-2024, 09:33 AM
One of my favourite ever Hibs managers.

All the best Tony and hope it's a speedy recovery.

Mon Dieu4
20-02-2024, 09:46 AM
Loved Mogga, there was a half hour spell against Aberdeen at the start of one season in which we played the best football I've ever seen a Hibs team play, full of one touch passing and movement, what football should be all about

CockneyRebel
20-02-2024, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Chorley Hibee;7591159]We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas

and all through the house.........

penihibs
20-02-2024, 12:20 PM

Get well soon Boss
Remember that game well big support and atmosphere was tremendous my son's first away game,what a team we had.
Get well soon Tony.

KeithTheHibby
20-02-2024, 12:32 PM
I remember when he was appointed and couldn't help but feel it was a massive mistake by the board to give a rookie the job.
He had me onside from his first interview though and although we lost the first league match at home to Killie you could see the team was playing very different to the one under Williamson the season before.

Gloucester Hibs
20-02-2024, 12:33 PM
Think Mogga's Hibs team was the most confident I've been watching us play at ER. Seeing that young side line up with that incredible midfield including Thomson, Brown, Boozy etc, and Deeks and GOC up front, "Teenage Kicks" blaring over the PA, I thought we could beat anyone. Was an exciting time.

Kato
20-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Can't remember who the Livi manager was at the time, but on the radio after the game he described the score as "seven going on fifteen".Paul Lambert. He wasn't exaggerating.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Smartie
20-02-2024, 12:57 PM
I think his casual shrug and comment that “if we keep playing like that, we’ll win more than we’ll lose” following an imperfect result (might have been the 4-4 draw with Dundee) was my favourite comment from any Hibs manager, ever.

He was right, and iirc he took quite a lot of flak for it at the time.

It’s that sort of feeling that we’re on the right track that we’ve been craving for a while but not really feeling.

Broken Gnome
20-02-2024, 01:07 PM
I think his casual shrug and comment that “if we keep playing like that, we’ll win more than we’ll lose” following an imperfect result (might have been the 4-4 draw with Dundee) was my favourite comment from any Hibs manager, ever.

It’s that sort of feeling that we’re on the right track that we’ve been craving for a while but not really feeling.

I remember him taking pelters from a pretty mouthy minority at full time. Might have been a hangover from the Williamson team and all the soft late goals we used to concede, but there was folk screaming at him to sort it out after the equaliser.

We were still flawed throughout his time, but I don't half miss shooting towards the FF during second half of games from 2005 up to 2009-odd knowing it would be a bit of a bombardment no matter who we were playing.

Just_Jimmy
20-02-2024, 07:07 PM

It’s that sort of feeling that we’re on the right track that we’ve been craving for a while but not really feeling.Aye and we got shafted on that day too because Deeks goal was never offside.

eastterrace
20-02-2024, 07:09 PM

Get well soon Boss was at this game and mind Sam morrow scoring for hibs

eastterrace
20-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Only thing that Tony never sorted was the goalkeeper, he signed some huddies in that position. But got to admit it was brilliant to watch us at Easter road .

jacomo
20-02-2024, 07:44 PM
Describing it as a ‘mystery illness’ just invites speculation, it really is no one’s business except his, his family, the medical professionals treating him, and whoever he decides to tell about it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mogga.

Glory Lurker
20-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Best wishes to Mowbray.

Brizo
21-02-2024, 07:02 AM
An absolute gentleman whose Hibs team played football the way we all want Hibs to play and who always conducted himself in a dignified and classy way. Get well soon Tony

VoltaireHibs
21-02-2024, 11:52 PM
As I reported at the time, a young female photographer who worked for the Edinburgh Evening News (a newspaper in those days) described him as "The sort of man you'd like to have as your Dad."

Loved watching his fearless young team play.

In it's own way that's as lovely a tribute to a man as you can get.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2024, 08:16 AM
Birmingham City confirm Tony Mowbray has taken formal leave of absence until the start of the 2024/25 Season

Twitter X

McSwanky
20-03-2024, 08:48 AM
Birmingham City confirm Tony Mowbray has taken formal leave of absence until the start of the 2024/25 Season

Twitter X

Doesn't sound too great. I'm sure football fans from across the board will be wishing him well. One of life's good guys.

Alfiembra
20-03-2024, 08:54 AM
I remember reading an interview with him in the evening news shortly after he was appointed and I felt any doubts I might have had about his appointment immediately vanished, the way he spoke and his plans for the club got me onboard straight away. Don’t recall who we were playing at ER but I remember the opposing manager in an after match interview after a severe drubbing from Hibs said there was a period of about half an hour in the game when Hibs were completely unplayable. Get well soon Tony.

jacomo
20-03-2024, 08:56 AM

Twitter X

Best wishes Mogga! Get well soon.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-03-2024, 09:44 AM
The fact he's scheduled to return is hopefully a positive sign

Echo the best wishes to Mogga.

Hibiza
20-03-2024, 10:43 AM
Get well Tony.

VoltaireHibs
20-03-2024, 10:46 AM
The fact he's scheduled to return is hopefully a positive sign

Echo the best wishes to Mogga.

Definitely. Hope he makes a full recovery. My favourite manager at Hibs and all round top guy.

BILLYHIBS
01-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Gary Rowett appointed Interim Birmingham City Manager until June