PDA

View Full Version : On another topic re Aberdeen

LewysGot2
18-02-2024, 12:44 PM
Every time we go up there we're charged in excess of £30 for an experience that belongs in another century. Portacabin loos, exposed open terrace with crumbling stairs, rusted seats, shocking view, it could go on...

How do this lot continue to get away with actually the worst away end in Scottish top flight? 3rd biggest playing budget, mind.

DaveF
18-02-2024, 12:47 PM
They get away with it because folk keep paying what they are asking.

Steven79
18-02-2024, 12:47 PM
Every time we go up there we're charged in excess of £30 for an experience that belongs in another century. Portacabin loos, exposed open terrace with crumbling stairs, rusted seats, shocking view, it could go on...

How do this lot continue to get away with actually the worst away end in Scottish top flight? 3rd biggest playing budget, mind.It's why I refuse to go up.

Rubbish view of the pitch as the stand is too shallow and facilties that wouldn't look out of place back in the 70's.

They blew loads of money on players in the 90's rather than upgrading 3 sides of their grounds.

3 of the sides are still pretty much the same as when Fergie was in charge...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

LewysGot2
18-02-2024, 12:54 PM
I mean, obviously they're mysteriously getting safety certificates for it each season but there's surely some sort of basic expectation from the governing bodies as to what constitutes acceptable. It's not on the away support to stop supporting their own team in protest...

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2024, 01:19 PM
Place is a dump

Absolute disgrace

Keith_M
18-02-2024, 01:27 PM
I presume the SPFL have done away with the rule(s) but the SPL had very strict rules on seating areas... that they must be fully covered.

Aberdeen were the only club where that rule was never applied, as the South Stand at Pittodrie has three areas of uncovered seating; the East and West corners plus the front 5+ rows.

Add to that to the lack of decent facilities (Poratloos? Honestly?), and you wonder how they get away with charging such high prices.

Pagan Hibernia
18-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Awful ground, always has been. I'm fond of old school football grounds but that place is a joke.

Compare Pittodrie to Easter Road. I think away fans get a pretty excellent experience when they visit our home (and that's before their team walks away with three points..)

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2024, 01:36 PM
watching on the tellybox yesterday i was actually getting quite nostalgic looking at a football stadium from the early 20th century, inc different roofing materials on ye olde main stand roof. looked like half is done with corrugated iron and the other half like an overgrown garden

Steven79
18-02-2024, 01:39 PM
I presume the SPFL have done away with the rule(s) but the SPL had very strict rules on seating areas... that they must be fully covered.

Aberdeen were the only club where that rule was never applied, as the South Stand at Pittodrie has three areas of uncovered seating; the East and West corners plus the front 5+ rows.

Add to that to the lack of decent facilities (Poratloos? Honestly?), and you wonder how they get away with charging such high prices.Feels more than the first five rows of that stand are uncovered.

Roof is a joke and may as well not exist due to the wind and rain coming in at the front and either side.

The roof was installed in 1980 and the individual seats came a year later.

I'm surprised Aberdeen fans actually pay good money to buy season tickets in that stand!

Unless it's a big game (top six or European decider) I won't go near it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
18-02-2024, 01:51 PM
The view is a joke. Was all right with what was going on down our end, but trying to see up the other end, particularly down our left in the second half, was a non starter.

OstKurve Hibs
18-02-2024, 02:02 PM
Better view than derkheid, pie was decent to despite still being crap

Jones28
18-02-2024, 02:17 PM
Been twice and won’t be back. Place is a ***** hole.

bod
18-02-2024, 02:40 PM

:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 03:39 PM

Don't see the problem if 900 are happy to pay. It's a bit of a ramshackle in shape with different stand size etc, but I always enjoy Aberdeen away

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2024, 03:48 PM
Plus you go all the way up there only to be herded like sheep into a wee pen

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 04:49 PM
Plus you go all the way up there only to be herded like sheep into a wee pen

I see what you did there:wink:

overdrive
18-02-2024, 04:53 PM
Last time I was there the steward tried to confiscate my glasses as he said it was a potential missile. Once in the stand was literally crumbling beneath our feet.

Winston Ingram
18-02-2024, 04:53 PM
Are they still planning on building a new ground?

marinello59
18-02-2024, 04:56 PM
Are they still planning on building a new ground?

They’ve recently ditched plan number four when they were told , yet again, that they need to fund it themselves rather than having the Council pay.

Winston Ingram
18-02-2024, 04:57 PM
They’ve recently ditched plan number four when they were told , yet again, that they need to fund it themselves rather than having the Council pay.

👍🏻

linlithgowhibbie
18-02-2024, 04:58 PM
Last time I was there the steward tried to confiscate my glasses as he said it was a potential missile. Once in the stand was literally crumbling beneath our feet.

What were they? Pint glasses!:thumbsup:

Carheenlea
18-02-2024, 05:15 PM
Had pretty good “seats” yesterday. Quite near the back but given the shallowness of the terrace that’s not particularly high. The fence being disposed with was a big improvement and could almost see the bottom left corner flag, but still a bit sketchy trying to see down that flank from the halfway line.

Toilets are toilets whether they are within an enclosed stand or a portakabin and food choice looked reasonable. The set up for buses being parked within the Pittodrie complex is a handy arrangement and I'd say our seats yesterday were almost value worthy of the price, but the vast manority fall way short.

Carheenlea
18-02-2024, 05:24 PM
A lot had been made previously of the Aberdeen “ultras” standing the similar section that our safe standing will be located next season. I hope ours generates a bit more atmosphere than theirs. Wasn’t exactly a wall of noise. The kids in the Beach End made more of a racket with their “Ab-er-deen” chants.

Joe6-2
18-02-2024, 05:27 PM
What were they? Pint glasses!:thumbsup:

😂😂

brianmc
18-02-2024, 05:36 PM

Add to that to the lack of decent facilities (Poratloos? Honestly?), and you wonder how they get away with charging such high prices.

You've imagined those rules - The seating at Aberdeen has never been fully covered (it's actually worse in their end of that 'stand') yet they've never been relegated.

Since452
18-02-2024, 05:37 PM
Their stadium is an embarrassment in this day and age. A complete throwback. Are they still moving?

Keith_M
18-02-2024, 05:38 PM
A lot had been made previously of the Aberdeen “ultras” standing the similar section that our safe standing will be located next season. I hope ours generates a bit more atmosphere than theirs. Wasn’t exactly a wall of noise. The kids in the Beach End made more of a racket with their “Ab-er-deen” chants.

That was often the example given as to why our 'Ultras' should be behind the goal, but it just shows that, as with most fans,the atmosphere is negatively affected by long spells of poor results/performances.

I presume they;re just as p1ssed off watching their team this season.

Kato
18-02-2024, 05:42 PM
Plus you go all the way up there only to be herded like sheep into a wee penWere you in the home end?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

DaveF
18-02-2024, 05:51 PM
Don't see the problem if 900 are happy to pay. It's a bit of a ramshackle in shape with different stand size etc, but I always enjoy Aberdeen away

I'm pleased for you but I was only answering the OP as to why they get away with it 🙂

HIBS NUTS
18-02-2024, 06:21 PM
I'm pleased for you but I was only answering the OP as to why they get away with it 🙂
The worse experience in away league games in the whole league
absolutely no fan can be happy with the experience at Aberdeen, terrible view , on old concrete standing area , low view , you can see very little .
And £30 😳

Carheenlea
18-02-2024, 06:26 PM
You've imagined those rules - The seating at Aberdeen has never been fully covered (it's actually worse in their end of that 'stand') yet they've never been relegated.

The two wings of the main stand at Inverness are uncovered. To be sat in there with the wind and rain whistling into your back off Rosemarkie Bay is made for fans of stouter heart than me!

Cappilow isn’t a bed of roses either.

He's here!
18-02-2024, 06:54 PM
Pittodrie used to get referred to as one of Scotland's first all-seater stadiums, along with Ibrox (which, while a bit uninspiring, was a genuine rebuild) and, IIRC, Kilbowie. In reality Pittodrie and Kilbowie had just had benches bolted on to the previous terracing and made the spectator experience worse. Hampden followed a similar strategy, just not quite as bad. Our own 'seating' in the cowshed was similarly c**p.

Now that I think about it did we actually seat the unvovered away end at ER for a short spell in the 90s with green seats or am I imagining that?

CapitalGreen
18-02-2024, 07:00 PM
Pittodrie used to get referred to as one of Scotland's first all-seater stadiums, along with Ibrox (which, while a bit uninspiring, was a genuine rebuild) and, IIRC, Kilbowie. In reality Pittodrie and Kilbowie had just had benches bolted on to the previous terracing and made the spectator experience worse. Hampden followed a similar strategy, just not quite as bad. Our own 'seating' in the cowshed was similarly c**p.

Now that I think about it did we actually seat the unvovered away end at ER for a short spell in the 90s with green seats or am I imagining that?

Yeah, the Dunbar end was seated for a period prior to redevelopment.

Just_Jimmy
18-02-2024, 07:06 PM
I've not been up for years. Do you still get treated by the polis like you're Ronnie Biggs and have cameras shoved in your face?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

He's here!
18-02-2024, 07:11 PM
I've not been up for years. Do you still get treated by the polis like you're Ronnie Biggs and have cameras shoved in your face?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

A mate of mine was a student at Robert Gordon’s and tried to head back to his digs after a Hibs game at Pittodrie. The police refused to believe he could be living in Aberdeen and support Hibs so made him exit the same way as the rest of the Hibs support, adding a long diversion to his walk home!

marinello59
18-02-2024, 07:15 PM

I hate it. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
18-02-2024, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the Dunbar end was seated for a period prior to redevelopment.

We did dish out yellow plastic bags for our guests to wear though. You can’t say fairer than that! :greengrin

Glory Lurker
18-02-2024, 07:23 PM
Is there any impression that Aberdeen fans are embarrassed about that place? We all know it's a throwback hovel, can you imagine what some of their European visitors must have made of the place?

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 07:24 PM
I hate it. :greengrin

Your only home game too lol

marinello59
18-02-2024, 07:24 PM
Is there any impression that Aberdeen fans are embarrassed about that place? We all know it's a throwback hovel, can you imagine what some of their European visitors must have made of the place?

They are still living in the eighties so are fine with it. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Grounds like Dundee United and Kilmarnock have little leg room, and Tynecastle is a big hovel

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 07:37 PM
Grounds like Dundee United and Kilmarnock have little leg room, and Tynecastle is a big hovel

Dundee United's terraced standing away end used to put the fear into me. maybe I was younger and smaller then, but the steepness of the away end back in the day was scary. I was always wary of a sway in there. :greengrin

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 07:43 PM
The two wings of the main stand at Inverness are uncovered. To be sat in there with the wind and rain whistling into your back off Rosemarkie Bay is made for fans of stouter heart than me!

Cappilow isn’t a bed of roses either.

Cappilow was never a good day out for me. Not got good memories at all of there. i used to enjoy the trip to Dumbarton funnily enough. If I remember rightly, you could see into the ground from the top of the road before going down to pay at the turnstiles. I think at one time in the relegation days of the very early eighties we nearly visited most grounds in Scotland back then, some good some not so good. Good memories though.

18-02-2024, 07:45 PM
The last time Pittodrie could be considered a modern stadium Neil Warnock was in short troosers.

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 08:09 PM
Fwiw too, Tiny was a much better ground when we had the big standing terracing at the Gorgie Road end. A much better day out, albeit, the results were never great until Geebsy stuck it to them. The Roseburns a dive, and the turnstiles are often a joke to get to, with the security and police herding us in. Its a soulless stadium for me now, and it's like a library most of the time I believe, until we turn up and bring the noise with us.

Kato
18-02-2024, 08:26 PM
the big standing terracing at the Gorgie Road end.

The last good thing about Pittodrie (which has the words dire and pit in the name) was the big standing terrace at the beach end.

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 08:30 PM
Dundee United's terraced standing away end used to put the fear into me. maybe I was younger and smaller then, but the steepness of the away end back in the day was scary. I was always wary of a sway in there. :greengrin

Aye it was steep there

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 08:32 PM
The last good thing about Pittodrie (which has the words dire and pit in the name) was the big standing terrace at the beach end.

Aye, changed days buddy. In one way, I was glad that the terracings were turned into all seating after the disasters that happened, but on the other hand, look back with romanticised fondness of the way football was back then. An auld fool or just auld maybe or maybe just a fool? whae knows? :greengrin

LewysGot2
18-02-2024, 08:36 PM
A mate of mine was a student at Robert Gordon’s and tried to head back to his digs after a Hibs game at Pittodrie. The police refused to believe he could be living in Aberdeen and support Hibs so made him exit the same way as the rest of the Hibs support, adding a long diversion to his walk home!

Happened the last Friday night game up there - game where Duk dived for a penalty :rolleyes:

Fair few Hibs fans parked on the esplanade road. End of the game the police stopped us going back to the car. Forced everyone to walk in the direction of the city centre :rolleyes:

Was almost at the ferris wheel when we managed to cut back along a side street, colours removed so polis would leave us be. Meant it was nearly 11pm before we set off :rolleyes:

spikeymike
18-02-2024, 09:55 PM
Is it any worse than tynecastle…. Especially if your unfortunate enough to be just above the walkway where ignorant self entitled so called Hibs fans continually deprive fellow supporters of a view of any action inside the 18 yard box due to their self importance

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 10:01 PM
Aye it was steep there

Thanks pal. Glad it wasn't just me who remembers the big steps and very steep terracing. Gave me the fear :greengrin.

marinello59
18-02-2024, 10:43 PM
Your only home game too lol

:greengrin

Bakerman
18-02-2024, 11:06 PM
Is it any worse than tynecastle…. Especially if your unfortunate enough to be just above the walkway where ignorant self entitled so called Hibs fans continually deprive fellow supporters of a view of any action inside the 18 yard box due to their self importance

Tiny will never be the same, after it destroyed its main stand. Its a library, soulless, and devoid of passion, until the Hibernian attend. Okay? Got it? :aok:

Bridge hibs
19-02-2024, 05:03 PM

Thanks pal. Glad it wasn't just me who remembers the big steps and very steep terracing. Gave me the fear :greengrin.

They should have supplied bungee cords if you were at the top and a climbing axe, boots and oxygen if you ended up at the bottom and had to start your ascent to the top 🫣

Carheenlea
19-02-2024, 08:05 PM
Tannadice was certainly on the steep side!

https://i.postimg.cc/XYLZXzZV/IMG-0084.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Yv42s8fV)

Can remember a bumper crowd up there and standing on that terrace for what was Murdo McLeod’s debut.

Chorley Hibee
19-02-2024, 08:06 PM
Tannadice was certainly on the steep side!

https://i.postimg.cc/XYLZXzZV/IMG-0084.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Yv42s8fV)

Can remember a bumper crowd up there and standing on that terrace for what was Murdo McLeod’s debut.

Was there with my Dad.

Willie Miller spectacular OG in the last minute if I remember right.