PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Vente

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-02-2024, 07:22 PM
So what's happened to this guy. When he first came into the team every shot he had ended up with a goal. Now he simply cannot get a game. Today we bring on 37 year old Adam Le Fondre and Vente stays on the bench. Does Monty not fancy him, or play into his style. Is he simply not good enough? Bizarre for a player we spent £700k on.

hibbydad
17-02-2024, 07:28 PM
So what's happened to this guy. When he first came into the team every shot he had ended up with a goal. Now he simply cannot get a game. Today we bring on 37 year old Adam Le Fondre and Vente stays on the bench. Does Monty not fancy him, or play into his style. Is he simply not good enough? Bizarre for a player we spent £700k on.
Monty has never played him in his proper position as a penalty box striker

The Modfather
17-02-2024, 07:29 PM

5 goals from his first 5 shots was never going to be sustainable. He works hard but doesn’t seem to have the all round game suited to playing up front in his own. A good player but why we would spend £700k on someone who can finish, but not able to create his own chances or bring others into play, like Nisbet could, is another poor, disjointed, signing.

Money he cost aside, probably 3rd choice for playing up on his own.

Jones28
17-02-2024, 07:29 PM
He’ll be away in the summer imo. Hasn’t worked, being played out of position for three months and is now second fiddle to a guy on loan.

I’d love him to start banging them in but I don’t see where it’s coming from.

truehibernian
17-02-2024, 07:32 PM

This 👍

Centre Hawf
17-02-2024, 07:32 PM

The guy scored 20+ in back to back seasons in Holland and the second he came in the door he looked a goal threat, so I refuse to believe the guy isn't good enough. In fact it was one of the few positives under LJ before he left that if he could get the ball up there and Vente got a sniff at goal he would score it.

Since NM has come in however he has played literally anywhere but in the penalty box. Surely part of the interview process was how do you plan to use the players we have currently especially if we've forked out a heavy amount for him?

Wheat Hound
17-02-2024, 07:37 PM
Bringing Jair on instead of Vente is absurd and worries me yet further about NM. Jair ran about like a headless chicken and showed zero promise of producing anything noteworthy and not for the first time.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2024, 07:38 PM
The guy scored 20+ in back to back seasons in Holland and the second he came in the door he looked a goal threat, so I refuse to believe the guy isn't good enough. In fact it was one of the few positives under LJ before he left that if he could get the ball up there and Vente got a sniff at goal he would score it.

Since NM has come in however he has played literally anywhere but in the penalty box. Surely part of the interview process was how do you plan to use the players we have currently especially if we've forked out a heavy amount for him?

I know it’s been mentioned loads of time but, IMO, it was never sustainable for him to keep scoring given the lack of efforts on goal.

Before Johnson got the bullet, he’d had two shots on goal and both had went in. Then he scored with his first three shots on goal under Montgomery when he came in, you can’t keep doing that.

I just don’t think he’s done enough and we’ve looked more of a threat in the last two and a half games with him out the team. He did score plenty goals for his team in Holland but I think it’s more difficult to score in our league than the Dutch second division. And it’s a totally different way of playing.

Hibeesdaft16
17-02-2024, 07:40 PM
He’ll be away in the summer imo. Hasn’t worked, being played out of position for three months and is now second fiddle to a guy on loan.

I’d love him to start banging them in but I don’t see where it’s coming from.

nah the manager will be gone by the summer and he will come good under someone that can play to the strengths of the team.

bingo70
17-02-2024, 07:41 PM
Bringing Jair on instead of Vente is absurd and worries me yet further about NM. Jair ran about like a headless chicken and showed zero promise of producing anything noteworthy and not for the first time.

Has Vente looked like creating much when he’s played recently?

People wanted to go with three in the midfield, I get why and we look better that way, the problem is when we do that, we only have one up front. If we’re playing one up front, that doesn’t suit Vente either. If he’d come on, I feel pretty confident he wouldn’t have offered very much either.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2024, 07:43 PM

For me is an absolute must and possibly first question to qualify out what we don’t need.
If that’s not part of the interview process it’s no wonder we go round in circles.

Partyraiser
17-02-2024, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he described himself as a striker who likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender when he arrived. Whens the last time we scored a goal from someone slipping a pass through a defence? We're not setting up to play to his strengths

Hibees1973
17-02-2024, 07:49 PM

Headless chicken sums up Jair perfectly. Clearly Jair plays off the cuff. Cannot control a ball and one of the most selfish players I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Mind you, Youan runs him a close second.

Vente on the other hand has quality. He comes looking for the ball a lot and plays most of his stuff outside of the box. Nothing like the way he played in Dutch football and clearly carrying out instructions by Montgomery.

Vente and Jair both encompass up all that is wrong with Montgomery. Failing to play a quality player in his correct position and not getting the best out of him (Vente). Then handing an imposter a Hibs jersey to wear (Jair).

Wheat Hound
17-02-2024, 07:50 PM

People wanted to go with three in the midfield, I get why and we look better that way, the problem is when we do that, we only have one up front. If we’re playing one up front, that doesn’t suit Vente either. If he’d come on, I feel pretty confident he wouldn’t have offered very much either.

Ventes barely been used as a centre forward since the manager finally admitted his mistake and played 433. Would rather he was tried than the completely out of his depth Jair.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2024, 07:50 PM

It’s not just about goals for me. You need someone who can occupy centre halves and make something happen. I think we’ve seen that with Maolida in the last couple of games, with his goal last week and assist today. He’s not getting chances created for him left right and centre but he’s impacting games (although I didn’t think he was great today).

Hillsidehibby
17-02-2024, 07:52 PM
Headless chicken sums up Jair perfectly. Clearly Jair plays off the cuff. Cannot control a ball and one of the most selfish players I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Mind you, Youan runs him a close second.

Vente on the other hand has quality. He comes looking for the ball a lot and plays most of his stuff outside of the box. Nothing like the way he played in Dutch football and clearly carrying out instructions by Montgomery.

Vente and Jair both encompass up all that is wrong with Montgomery. Failing to play a quality player in his correct position and not getting the best out of him (Vente). Then handing an imposter a Hibs jersey to wear (Jair).

100 per cent

Simkin911
17-02-2024, 07:53 PM

+1 - round nailed it.

Chorley Hibee
17-02-2024, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure he described himself as a striker who likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender when he arrived. Whens the last time we scored a goal from someone slipping a pass through a defence? We're not setting up to play to his strengths

Spot on, and I said at the time that this was worrying and that he certainly wouldn't get those opportunities playing for Hibs.

I wasn't wrong.

Stanton Spence
17-02-2024, 07:56 PM

That sounds like vente for the past few months

Centre Hawf
17-02-2024, 07:56 PM
I know it’s been mentioned loads of time but, IMO, it was never sustainable for him to keep scoring given the lack of efforts on goal.

Before Johnson got the bullet, he’d had two shots on goal and both had went in. Then he scored with his first three shots on goal under Montgomery when he came in, you can’t keep doing that.

I just don’t think he’s done enough and we’ve looked more of a threat in the last two and a half games with him out the team. He did score plenty goals for his team in Holland but I think it’s more difficult to score in our league than the Dutch second division. And it’s a totally different way of playing.

Perhaps you're right that the 1 goal per shot ratio would die off. I would expect that to be honest unless he was one of the best scorers of goals ever seen.

What we've never really done is identify how we can get him to have about 3 shots a game. Miovski averages 2.8 shots a game, Shankland 3.6. Both can miss a chance because they feel as though, on the whole, another chance is coming round the corner to bury and that's proven in their goal tallies this season. Meanwhile Vente is still averaging just the one all season. It must be dire in his mind to be in a situation where he feels he HAS to take the one chance, whatever it may look like, because he isn't getting anything else.

Perhaps his overall play is to blame for the lack of chances as well, but it's beggars belief that you pay this amount of money in our league for a goalscorer and don't create the ideal conditions in which to score goals. It's football 101 to play to your players strengths or sign players that fit your plan on how to play.

Either we signed him based on just his goal scoring record alone, hired a manager with zero regard to how his philosophy would work with him (including other players we've just spent probably north of £1.5m for if you include Youan and Levitt), or we actually did do all our homework on the compatibility of Vente and Montgomery and we've gotten it drastically wrong, again. Either way it points to horrendously bad joined up thinking and decision makers not capable of making the right decisions.

Donegal Hibby
17-02-2024, 07:59 PM

He's a poacher :agree:

Northernhibee
17-02-2024, 08:06 PM
He’s nowhere near good enough. Myziane and Boyle haven’t exactly struggled to find the net as of late. A complete waste of money.

Smartie
17-02-2024, 08:07 PM
For all Monty may appear to have weaknesses, he does appear to be decisive. Some players he fancies (Levitt, contrary to all available evidence being one) and some he really doesn’t (Vente and Hanlon being amongst those).

These are big calls, upon which he’ll sink or swim. I’m not convinced I’m on the same page as him at all but fair play to him making these decisions. Our football has been abject for long periods this season and the manager wasn’t going to fix it without ruffling feathers or making big calls on either experienced or expensive players.

Bakerman
17-02-2024, 08:08 PM
I just think his confidence is shot to pieces just now. He needs to have a bit time out to regain his mojo.

Hiber-nation
17-02-2024, 08:09 PM
Vente looked like a 20 goal a season striker when he wasn't actually fit. Surely it's down to Monty what's happened since.

Unseen work
17-02-2024, 08:11 PM
He hasn’t even looked like getting an attempt on target lately never mind scoring

The ball isn’t falling for him and he also isn’t creating something out of nothing.

Rightly benched and we look better for it

Heisenberg
17-02-2024, 08:13 PM
He's a poacher :agree:

Sadly just being a poacher these days isn’t enough. For 700k+ we needed a striker that could do it all at our level and that’s not what Vente can offer.

I do find it curious that he’s not even had a chance off the bench in the last two games. Maybe a wee falling out has happened.

Rumble de Thump
17-02-2024, 08:14 PM
He's played a lot of minutes for us as we have been so short of option up front. A bit of a rest will do him good now we have a few strikers available.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2024, 08:15 PM
Perhaps you're right that the 1 goal per shot ratio would die off. I would expect that to be honest unless he was one of the best scorers of goals ever seen.

What we've never really done is identify how we can get him to have about 3 shots a game. Miovski averages 2.8 shots a game, Shankland 3.6. Both can miss a chance because they feel as though, on the whole, another chance is coming round the corner to bury and that's proven in their goal tallies this season. Meanwhile Vente is still averaging just the one all season. It must be dire in his mind to be in a situation where he feels he HAS to take the one chance, whatever it may look like, because he isn't getting anything else.

Perhaps his overall play is to blame for the lack of chances as well, but it's beggars belief that you pay this amount of money in our league for a goalscorer and don't create the ideal conditions in which to score goals. It's football 101 to play to your players strengths or sign players that fit your plan on how to play.

Either we signed him based on just his goal scoring record alone, hired a manager with zero regard to how his philosophy would work with him (including other players we've just spent probably north of £1.5m for if you include Youan and Levitt), or we actually did do all our homework on the compatibility of Vente and Montgomery and we've gotten it drastically wrong, again. Either way it points to horrendously bad joined up thinking and decision makers not capable of making the right decisions.

I’m not saying it’s all down to him, I don’t think it is, but I just don’t think you can get away with being a centre forward in this league that isn’t going to give defenders a hard time or create something for himself. As I say if you look at Maolidas goal last week, he gets a bit of luck but he also works the space for himself in the first place. Similar today, he makes something out of a punt up the park to set Boyle up. I just don’t see Vente doing either and I don’t think we are, or ever will be, good enough to carry someone who is just a finisher.

Onion
Feel sorry for Vente. Hibs have turned a footballer into a headless chicken. He's best to move away, find a club that values and uses him properly (with a functioning midfield) and put this sorry time at Hibs behind him.

Northernhibee
Same issue as with Melkersen if we’re going to be honest. Decent in the lower levels elsewhere but not physical enough to do the job here, doesn’t fancy battling with big strong centre halves and ends up nowhere near where he needs to be to score goals.

You’d have thought we’d have learned the first time around but it’s the same issue again.

Mcbizz1998
17-02-2024, 08:19 PM
He just isn’t up to much unfortunately. You can’t blame the club too much given the outlay but he has been a massive disappointment.

Centre Hawf
17-02-2024, 08:20 PM
I’m not saying it’s all down to him, I don’t think it is, but I just don’t think you can get away with being a centre forward in this league that isn’t going to give defenders a hard time or create something for himself. As I say if you look at Maolidas goal last week, he gets a bit of luck but he also works the space for himself in the first place. Similar today, he makes something out of a punt up the park to set Boyle up. I just don’t see Vente doing either and I don’t think we are, or ever will be, good enough to carry someone who is just a finisher.

I agree with you. I go back to my question on did we sign him on his goal scoring record alone? Or did we actually look at how he played and scored his goals and decide he was compatible with our team?

Either way recruitment has once again looked horrendous.

VoltaireHibs
17-02-2024, 08:23 PM
Sadly just being a poacher these days isn’t enough. For 700k+ we needed a striker that could do it all at our level and that’s not what Vente can offer.

I do find it curious that he’s not even had a chance off the bench in the last two games. Maybe a wee falling out has happened.

The one thing the Dutch aren't shy about is giving an opinion. He definitely hasn't looked happy the last couple of months so it wouldn't surprise me. I mentioned a week or two ago that I think we'll see a parting of the ways in the summer as this situation doesn't suit anyone.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2024, 08:24 PM
Feel sorry for Vente. Hibs have turned a footballer into a headless chicken. He's best to move away, find a club that values and uses him properly (with a functioning midfield) and put this sorry time at Hibs behind him.

I find the sympathy he gets a bit bizarre at times.

I don’t dislike him, I think he’s probably a bit better than he’s shown or had the opportunity to show.

But he’s a guy that came from the Dutch second division. We paid a fortune (by our standards) and, whatever the reasons, he’s not lived up to expectations. Definitely could have been used differently at times. Definitely could have done more himself as well though.

I just find it hard to have too much sympathy for any player of ours given what we’ve watched for most of the season.

The Captain....
17-02-2024, 08:30 PM
Not playing to his strengths imo...get the ball to him early enough in space and he'll look a lot better player.

We seem to want a central striker who defends from the front first and foremost who can occupy a centre half and play with his back to goal.

He'll join the neverending merry go round of players going out and coming in on loan no doubt.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
17-02-2024, 08:37 PM
I agree with you. I go back to my question on did we sign him on his goal scoring record alone? Or did we actually look at how he played and scored his goals and decide he was compatible with our team?

Either way recruitment has once again looked horrendous.

I reckon it would be based on goal scoring.

I’m just not sure he’s suited to playing here. Folk say he looked good straight away under Johnson. He did on his debut in Europe but then got hooked at half time on his first league start having barely touched the ball.

We spent plenty on players in the summer but I think they, and us, have suffered for there not being any clear idea on how they were going to be used.

Stanton Spence
17-02-2024, 08:39 PM

I don’t dislike him, I think he’s probably a bit better than he’s shown or had the opportunity to show.

But he’s a guy that came from the Dutch second division. We paid a fortune (by our standards) and, whatever the reasons, he’s not lived up to expectations. Definitely could have been used differently at times. Definitely could have done more himself as well though.

I just find it hard to have too much sympathy for any player of ours given what we’ve watched for most of the season.
I think it’s to do with the price tag and loads including me want him to be good along with the early goals and work rate has bought him some credit
I’m now thinking it would be better for both if we could move him on. His numbers and stats should attract offers back in Holland or somewhere

JimBHibees
17-02-2024, 08:42 PM
He hasn’t even looked like getting an attempt on target lately never mind scoring

The ball isn’t falling for him and he also isn’t creating something out of nothing.

Rightly benched and we look better for it

Agree has been very poor for ages

Centre Hawf
17-02-2024, 08:43 PM
I reckon it would be based on goal scoring.

I’m just not sure he’s suited to playing here. Folk say he looked good straight away under Johnson. He did on his debut in Europe but then got hooked at half time on his first league start having barely touched the ball.

We spent plenty on players in the summer but I think they, and us, have suffered for there not being any clear idea on how they were going to be used.

Therein lies the biggest problem at our club I think now. We paid out the backside for a striker that we had no idea if was capable of making the transition to this league or play in our set up.

We also paid out the backside for Youan and immediately hired a manager that tried to make him play 20 yards deeper than he's comfortable with.

We paid a decent amount for a midfielder who has shown he's only a standout performer when he's got two sitting behind him, so we turn him into one of 2 CM's in a 442.

It's like we go week to week forgetting what on earth we're trying to build at any given moment and it's exhausting watching it now.

hibsbollah
17-02-2024, 08:44 PM

I agree with this. On another subject, I liked the interview with ALF yesterday, talking about his enthusiasm to stay next season when he’ll be 38. Its the kind of determination im not hearing or seeing from Vente. ALF has shown much more in the box and id like to see him stay. Would definitely be a cheaper plan B coming off the bench.

JohnM1875
17-02-2024, 08:44 PM
Think he's a good player. You don't end up playing for Feyenoord, scoring as many as he did in he second tier and having the start you did with us if you're rank. Just not sure how suited he is to our league. He doesn't shoot enough either, needs to be more selfish.

Chorley Hibee
17-02-2024, 08:47 PM
Therein lies the biggest problem at our club I think now. We paid out the backside for a striker that we had no idea if was capable of making the transition to this league or play in our set up.

We also paid out the backside for Youan and immediately hired a manager that tried to make him play 20 yards deeper than he's comfortable with.

We paid a decent amount for a midfielder who has shown he's only a standout performer when he's got two sitting behind him, so we turn him into one of 2 CM's in a 442.

It's like we go week to week forgetting what on earth we're trying to build at any given moment and it's exhausting watching it now.

A list of incompetent individuals, in senior positions, hoping that if they throw enough **** at the wall then some of it will stick.

We're run by a bunch of clowns, most woefully under qualified to be holding such positions of authority at a club like Hibs.

Centre Hawf
17-02-2024, 08:51 PM
A list of incompetent individuals, in senior positions, hoping that if they throw enough **** at the wall then some of it will stick.

We're run by a bunch of clowns, most woefully under qualified to be holding such positions of authority at a club like Hibs.

I used to try and defend some of them, I don't know why. I think I somewhat believed that we were trying to be a bit different and get ahead of some trend to make us the strongest possible. But in reality I think it's turned out over the last 2.5 years of windows that those in charge of these things are just not good enough or understand what is needed in this league.

I'm not convinced Foley/Bournemouth will change anything but if there's one thing that I would like to see is some sort of clear out at the club in regards to the decision makers on the football side.

AFKA5814_Hibs
Some interesting answers. Tbh, I think we can compare Vente to Melkerson. Untried young striker who played in foreign lower leagues and not able to adapt to Scottish football. Wouldn't be surprised if we sold Vente back to Dutch league or similar in the summer.

B.H.F.C

A lot of that probably comes about with the constant changes in manager. All have different ideas etc. In theory, the director of football should help with that by setting out some kind of strategy but I’m not sure we’re seeing much evidence of that so far.

He's here!
17-02-2024, 08:57 PM
There's a player there. He was terrific in the Luzern game. Great awareness for his goal and lovely lay-off for Newell's. Think those saying his confidence has taken a big knock are right.

berwickhibee
17-02-2024, 08:58 PM

He's not good enough, worrying that the manager does.

Hibee Mac
18-02-2024, 08:39 AM
The reason he gets a lot of sympathy from some (myself included) is that he's come to Hibs and started brilliantly scoring 5 goals in a short period of time and absolutely looked the part.

Then a new manager comes in and spends 4 months playing him in a bizarre false 9 / midfielder role, with an ineffectual midfield behind him. I still have no doubt that he's a quality player, he's not had a fair crack at it if you ask me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2024, 08:41 AM
The reason he gets a lot of sympathy from some (myself included) is that he's come to Hibs and started brilliantly scoring 5 goals in a short period of time and absolutely looked the part.

Then a new manager comes in and spends 4 months playing him in a bizarre false 9 / midfielder role, with an ineffectual midfield behind him. I still have no doubt that he's a quality player, he's not had a fair crack at it if you ask me.

Spot on

easty
18-02-2024, 08:43 AM

Yep.

He’ll score goals if he’s played as a striker.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2024, 08:51 AM
Yep.

He’ll score goals if he’s played as a striker.

I’m not convinced. We’ve scored 5 goals in the last 2 games he’s not played in. There hasn’t been any talk about us not creating anything as has been the case with Vente. Big difference for me is the centre forward looking capable of doing a bit of the creating (be it for himself or others) rather than having to wait for the perfect chance to fall his way.

.Sean.
18-02-2024, 08:52 AM
He’ll come good with a manager with half a brain cell who’ll use him properly and doesn’t play garbage like Jair instead of him

easty
18-02-2024, 09:03 AM
I’m not convinced. We’ve scored 5 goals in the last 2 games he’s not played in. There hasn’t been any talk about us not creating anything as has been the case with Vente. Big difference for me is the centre forward looking capable of doing a bit of the creating (be it for himself or others) rather than having to wait for the perfect chance to fall his way.

We should still be scoring goals without him, we’ve got quality attacking players who should score goals.

I just think there’s a middle ground, where a better manager gets the most out of what we have. Vente as a poacher, with 2/3 of Boyle/Yoann/Maolida working as a unit, rather than hoping those players can make something happen themselves.

Bostonhibby
18-02-2024, 10:00 AM

This is where I am, eventually I expect us to play the guy at centre half and he will try his best.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
18-02-2024, 10:06 AM

Those would be my thoughts.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2024, 10:07 AM
We should still be scoring goals without him, we’ve got quality attacking players who should score goals.

I just think there’s a middle ground, where a better manager gets the most out of what we have. Vente as a poacher, with 2/3 of Boyle/Yoann/Maolida working as a unit, rather than hoping those players can make something happen themselves.

I’m not convinced that he has enough of an all round game to be the centre forward in the three and I don’t think we can get away with having a poacher. All his goals have came when playing in a front 2 but there is near universal agreement that we shouldn’t play with that. I think the shape change is why he finds himself on the bench now. The lack of chances has mainly applied to Vente, the rest seem to find a way of getting chances. Even Doidge before he left, he’d generally miss but he’d get on the end of things. I just don’t see that with Vente and I don’t think it’s because he’s on the halfway line all the time either.

Hibee Mac
18-02-2024, 10:11 AM
I’m not convinced. We’ve scored 5 goals in the last 2 games he’s not played in. There hasn’t been any talk about us not creating anything as has been the case with Vente. Big difference for me is the centre forward looking capable of doing a bit of the creating (be it for himself or others) rather than having to wait for the perfect chance to fall his way.Keep in mind that the last two games you're talking about are also some of the first games where Monty has played 3 in midfield and ditched the system he's been using since he joined.

It's also the first few games where the new signings like Moriah-Welsh and Myziane are looking fit enough to last most of the game.

Don't think it's a fair comparison.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2024, 10:24 AM
Keep in mind that the last two games you're talking about are also some of the first games where Monty has played 3 in midfield and ditched the system he's been using since he joined.

It's also the first few games where the new signings like Moriah-Welsh and Myziane are looking fit enough to last most of the game.

Don't think it's a fair comparison.

I get that but I just think Maolida offers more. Every game he’s played he’s had opportunities and/or created something for himself or others. I’d still, obviously, like Vente to come good and the change of system might help him but I’m sceptical based on what I’ve seen.

Hibee Mac
18-02-2024, 01:34 PM
I get that but I just think Maolida offers more. Every game he’s played he’s had opportunities and/or created something for himself or others. I’d still, obviously, like Vente to come good and the change of system might help him but I’m sceptical based on what I’ve seen.That's fair, certainly don't disagree with that, I like what I've seen with Maolida and think he's definitely brought some much needed quality and power to the front line.

RIP
18-02-2024, 09:55 PM
Bit confused by fans asking why Monty brings on a winger rather than a striker. Is this a question only asked by fans who don't go to watch Hibs live?

Like his predecessor Nick is fixated on playing up the wings. Either full backs or wingers trying to get the ball into the box from the touchline.

All of the teams above us play through the middle of the pitch. That's why their shots on goal ratio is much higher.

If we played Vente within 10 yards of Myziane we would see a different Dylan. But Montyball is slow, predictable and easy to defend against.

Northernhibee
21-02-2024, 09:09 AM

And yet Maolida comes in and after half a game to get up to speed looks ten times more dangerous than Vente does.

I’m trying to think of a single player we’ve signed before this winter transfer window in the two or three windows prior that I’d be bursting a gut to keep at the club and I can only think of Obita just now. That’s still the main problem that we’re seeing IMO - key football functions at the club having been run by completely the wrong people IMO for too long and changing the manager will only be a sticking plaster until we can get rid of a good chunk of the squad.

Brightside
21-02-2024, 09:15 AM
Bit confused by fans asking why Monty brings on a winger rather than a striker. Is this a question only asked by fans who don't go to watch Hibs live?

Like his predecessor Nick is fixated on playing up the wings. Either full backs or wingers trying to get the ball into the box from the touchline.

All of the teams above us play through the middle of the pitch. That's why their shots on goal ratio is much higher.

If we played Vente within 10 yards of Myziane we would see a different Dylan. But Montyball is slow, predictable and easy to defend against.

Calling Jair a winger is a stretch imo. Vente could easily have played wide left v Aberdeen, or they could have shifted Myziane out left. I'd play Vente anywhere rather than Jair.

sauzee1989
21-02-2024, 09:21 AM
Vente is a very good striker just ashame our manager hasn’t the intelligence to use him effectively.

hibbydad
21-02-2024, 09:22 AM
Calling Jair a winger is a stretch imo. Vente could easily have played wide left v Aberdeen, or they could have shifted Myziane out left. I'd play Vente anywhere rather than Jair.
The manager has consistently played Vente too deep. Vente is a penalty box player who will score goals if he is played in his proper position I am afraid this is just one example of the manager being totally out of his depth. Bringing on Jair after his recent performances is beyond my comprehension and saying that Ihave nothing against the lad

Winston Ingram
21-02-2024, 09:25 AM

He's played as a winger for his entire career.

Vente has never played as a left winger so asking a player to do something they've never done before in a game as important as that wouldn't have been the brightest.

Winston Ingram
21-02-2024, 09:29 AM
The manager has consistently played Vente too deep. Vente is a penalty box player who will score goals if he is played in his proper position I am afraid this is just one example of the manager being totally out of his depth. Bringing on Jair after his recent performances is beyond my comprehension and saying that Ihave nothing against the lad

Instead of focusing on what a centre forward does, he changed his focus to concentrate on switching with the wide players. It's destroyed his confidence. He's been Monty'd.

Brightside
21-02-2024, 09:30 AM
He's played as a winger for his entire career.

Vente has never played as a left winger so asking a player to do something they've never done before in a game as important as that wouldn't have been the brightest.

You sure he's never played left or right?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dylan-vente/profil/spieler/369319

Jair simply isn't very good. Its a mistake by Monty to keep playing him.

Northernhibee
21-02-2024, 09:31 AM
This idea that in an ultra competitive league we can afford to have someone stand about up front waiting for someone else to do all the hard work for him is a total misnomer. Unless you’re a player who is good enough to build a team around that doesn’t work and if you have that player you’ll lose them sooner rather than later. Cummings was harder working than we remember and he was a penalty box striker.

Simple fact is that Vente isn’t good enough to do all the jobs required of a striker and that’s on the recruitment team

JimBHibees
21-02-2024, 10:17 AM

Agree about Jair was staggered he was brought on at Aberdeen.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2024, 10:25 AM
Agree about Jair was staggered he was brought on at Aberdeen.

Getting to the business end need to forget about Jair in my humble opinion

Hasn’t shown enough and we now have better options

Would have kept Youan on always worth a goal or would have thrown Vente on up beside the big guy

JimBHibees
21-02-2024, 10:36 AM
Getting to the business end need to forget about Jair in my humble opinion

Hasn’t shown enough and we now have better options

Would have kept Youan on always worth a goal or would have thrown Vente on up beside the big guy

Agree with that both were better options

WeeRussell
21-02-2024, 10:40 AM
This idea that in an ultra competitive league we can afford to have someone stand about up front waiting for someone else to do all the hard work for him is a total misnomer. Unless you’re a player who is good enough to build a team around that doesn’t work and if you have that player you’ll lose them sooner rather than later. Cummings was harder working than we remember and he was a penalty box striker.

Simple fact is that Vente isn’t good enough to do all the jobs required of a striker and that’s on the recruitment team

Disagree. Vente has been working his nuts off during a spell when goals haven’t been coming for him, whether that’s down to form, the role he’s been given, service or whatever else.

I think he’ll be a better footballer than Cummings, and he’s definitely a good enough player for Hibs.

Since452
21-02-2024, 10:45 AM
Disagree. Vente has been working his nuts off during a spell when goals haven’t been coming for him, whether that’s down to form, the role he’s been given, service or whatever else.

I think he’ll be a better footballer than Cummings, and he’s definitely a good enough player for Hibs.

I agree. I really rate Vente.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2024, 10:53 AM

I agree, i think he'd score more goals if the manager set the team up for that to happen, but the manager just throws the team together the way he wants the team to play.

When he's sacked surely tae **** the next guy will have a proper strategy(christ how many times have i said that) to get the best out of the players available, and also pick the best team, not try and shoehorn in players cleary not suitable for the formation, or the team.

Bakerman
21-02-2024, 11:07 AM
And yet Maolida comes in and after half a game to get up to speed looks ten times more dangerous than Vente does.

I’m trying to think of a single player we’ve signed before this winter transfer window in the two or three windows prior that I’d be bursting a gut to keep at the club and I can only think of Obita just now. That’s still the main problem that we’re seeing IMO - key football functions at the club having been run by completely the wrong people IMO for too long and changing the manager will only be a sticking plaster until we can get rid of a good chunk of the squad.

I like Vente, and think he has a wealth of goals to score, but Maolida is at the moment, a class above. Just hope Vente can find his mojo again, after some time out to regain confidence, and composure.

Alex Trager
21-02-2024, 11:16 AM
I like Vente and want to see him succeed as do we all.

It could well be that the manager and Vente have had a chat and said that they want to take things a bit differently or that he needed to sit out for a wee while.

I think Monty is regarded as being a good man manager, and there will be a plan there.

I hope it is as I have said it could be rather than Vente is on his way out.

B.H.F.C
21-02-2024, 11:23 AM
I like Vente and want to see him succeed as do we all.

It could well be that the manager and Vente have had a chat and said that they want to take things a bit differently or that he needed to sit out for a wee while.

I think Monty is regarded as being a good man manager, and there will be a plan there.

I hope it is as I have said it could be rather than Vente is on his way out.

I think it’s simpler than that. Vente wasn’t looking a threat, we’ve signed someone who has come in and looked a threat almost straight away and he’s now playing in front of Vente. Couple that with a striker coming back from injury as well, it’s just a case of out of form, out of the team.

Alex Trager
21-02-2024, 11:24 AM
I think it’s simpler than that. Vente wasn’t looking a threat, we’ve signed someone who has come in and looked a threat almost straight away and he’s now playing in front of Vente. Couple that with a striker coming back from injury as well, it’s just a case of out of form, out of the team.

Aye it could be mate.

I’m not sure that being out of the team will help him get his form back.

That said, he’s a better player than Jair so I don’t know why he was brought on on Sat instead of Vente.

B.H.F.C
21-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Aye it could be mate.

I’m not sure that being out of the team will help him get his form back.

That said, he’s a better player than Jair so I don’t know why he was brought on on Sat instead of Vente.

It might not help him get his form back but there are some signs that it’s helping the team.

I agree he’s a better player than Jair but it’s not like for like.

BoomtownHibees
21-02-2024, 11:32 AM

He could have put Vente on and moved Maolida out wide to where he ended up moving to when ALF came on for Boyle

Winston Ingram
21-02-2024, 12:56 PM

Sorry. Ye got me there. He came on as a sub nearly 3 years ago and played 21 mins as a right winger in a 3-0 win.:rolleyes:

Jair may not be very good but he's without question a winger,.

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2024, 09:59 PM
The treatment of Vente - an obvious talent and a costly acquisition- has done more to turn me off NM than anything else.

truehibernian
21-02-2024, 11:04 PM
The treatment of Vente - an obvious talent and a costly acquisition- has done more to turn me off NM than anything else.

Why DBS ? DV was bought at high expense to score goals - he’s not. He’s been profligate in games, missed chances, and even in the derby when he won the pen it was actually easier to score. Nothing to do with Montgomery, Vente needs to score goals and take his chances better. He’s had plenty of them. He’ll come good, no doubt about it, he’s a good footballer, but he needs to be far more clinical and stay in the penalty box rather than wandering about looking for the ball. He needs to be more disciplined and play off the centre half rather than get into physical battles with them.

Greenio
22-02-2024, 06:24 AM

I dont think he's been badly treated at all has he?

Form went off, NM stuck with him until he couldn't really anymore, hits the bench for a bit to give someone else their chance

Kinda standard no

Northernhibee
22-02-2024, 07:27 AM

Considering he’s been anonymous for most of the season, “obvious talent” is quite some stretch.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2024, 07:49 AM
Needs a reset

Always liked him and wanted him to succeed but privately I was thinking he was starting to look like a bit of a dud tbh

Needs to get his confidence back return to the side and play upfront beside ALF and Maolida though not at the same time obviously and needs to concentrate on getting on the end of things in the box more- too many times he is too far back when we are on the front foot to have any impact

No doubting his work ethic but he has proved he can finish

Badly needs a goal to kick on

Hopefully he makes it here worst case scenario he returns to Holland

Up-the-slope
22-02-2024, 09:39 AM
I don't think it should be missed that Vente spent a lot of games making great runs and rarely getting the pass (wingers either poor / choosing wrong options and little drive from midfield and through balls)

Maolida has benefited from coming into the team where at last the midfield shape and composition has our next club hero NMW in it... and a previously off form Boyle has returned after weeks away with his mojo back... and suddenly there are dangerous balls for a striker to work off and far less isolation.

Joe Newall is again hitting good form as he is not having to do all the spade work himself, and spending more of his play on playing passes that open up defences...

Early days but when Dylan gets his chance he will be coming back into a very different team and system for the central striker

The Tubs
22-02-2024, 10:04 AM
I don't think it should be missed that Vente spent a lot of games making great runs and rarely getting the pass (wingers either poor / choosing wrong options and little drive from midfield and through balls)

Maolida has benefited from coming into the team where at last the midfield shape and composition has our next club hero NMW in it... and a previously off form Boyle has returned after weeks away with his mojo back... and suddenly there are dangerous balls for a striker to work off and far less isolation.

Joe Newall is again hitting good form as he is not having to do all the spade work himself, and spending more of his play on playing passes that open up defences...

Early days but when Dylan gets his chance he will be coming back into a very different team and system for the central striker

Myziane has been far better at picking up a lot of the random punts that get played up too. The manager really needs to get the basics he understands working and then think about how he can get more out of players that he doesn't know how to use. Apart from centre-halves, he should have everything he needs now.

wookie70
22-02-2024, 10:15 AM

If we played Vente within 10 yards of Myziane we would see a different Dylan. But Montyball is slow, predictable and easy to defend against. St Mirren play with wide men, often full backs, getting the ball in from wide. They don't take 5 minutes to give the wide man the ball and have to wait another 5 minutes for the central striker to make his way from midfield into the box though.

Unseen work
22-02-2024, 10:26 AM

I would argue the only difference is Maolida is actually making something out of the nothing balls.

Maolida’s goal against killie and assist against Aberdeen was down to him making it good and not a brilliant bit of play to enable him to score. The goal was a good pass from Levitt but it’s one Vente would probably lose possession of.

Maolida’s strength and ability to shield the ball is the main difference.

Even crosses into the box Vente never seems to get on the end of, and there have been some brilliant ones throughout the season especially from Obita. Even against Aberdeen Marcondes managed to get on the end of a cross and head it at goal.

I think it’s confidence, but I also think he needs a striker next to him who can either play intricate balls through to him or have some clever play ala Fondre earlier in the season or someone like Maolida who can bring a physical presence.

For as much as we can criticise Montgomery, Vente needs to do more. No question.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2024, 10:33 AM
St Mirren play with wide men, often full backs, getting the ball in from wide. They don't take 5 minutes to give the wide man the ball and have to wait another 5 minutes for the central striker to make his way from midfield into the box though.

:top marks

B.H.F.C
22-02-2024, 10:42 AM
I would argue the only difference is Maolida is actually making something out of the nothing balls.

Maolida’s goal against killie and assist against Aberdeen was down to him making it good and not a brilliant bit of play to enable him to score. The goal was a good pass from Levitt but it’s one Vente would probably lose possession of.

Maolida’s strength and ability to shield the ball is the main difference.

Even crosses into the box Vente never seems to get on the end of, and there have been some brilliant ones throughout the season especially from Obita. Even against Aberdeen Marcondes managed to get on the end of a cross and head it at goal.

I think it’s confidence, but I also think he needs a striker next to him who can either play intricate balls through to him or have some clever play ala Fondre earlier in the season or someone like Maolida who can bring a physical presence.

For as much as we can criticise Montgomery, Vente needs to do more. No question.

This is my view of Vente as well. I don’t think he’s got the game to play as that one central striker and it’s been well established that we shouldn’t be playing a two. With the change in system I think that leaves him where he is, out of the team.

He’s obviously been used differently at times but I do think some of the talk about his positioning is exaggerated. You’d think he’s never in the box sometimes. He is, just rarely on the end of things. I actually thought, in his last couple of games, he was making better runs in fairness.

JimBHibees
22-02-2024, 10:46 AM
This is my view of Vente as well. I don’t think he’s got the game to play as that one central striker and it’s been well established that we shouldn’t be playing a two. With the change in system I think that leaves him where he is, out of the team.

He’s obviously been used differently at times but I do think some of the talk about his positioning is exaggerated. You’d think he’s never in the box sometimes. He is, just rarely on the end of things. I actually thought, in his last couple of games, he was making better runs in fairness.

Agree with that also think some of the chat around his position is overstated and giving him a bit of a free pass on not impacting games as much as he could. Vente played against Celtic Maolida comes on for him literally a night and day difference.

Brightside
22-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Agree with that also think some of the chat around his position is overstated and giving him a bit of a free pass on not impacting games as much as he could. Vente played against Celtic Maolida comes on for him literally a night and day difference.

Vente was excellent against Celtic (by stopping Celtic play) - but we changed our game when Maolida came on.

Smartie
22-02-2024, 11:14 AM

The situation with NM and Vente has done more to turn me off those higher up the chain at Hibs than anything else.

A player with obvious credentials and excellent recent scoring record is signed for a not insignificant fee, states in an interview what his style of play is and how he tends to get his goals. Very soon into his first season (after a half decent start for the player) the coach is hoofed, before the transfer window has closed and before we can finish building the sort of team who can create the sort of chance that the player has fed off in recent years.

New manager comes in, tries to fit a square peg into a round hole before deciding player isn't one he can really rely on right now, at a time when the new manager is already under serious pressure to get results and save his own job.

Neither of these things are the fault of Vente or NM, it's a mess created by folk who don't have a clear vision about how the football department should look and who drop the appropriate pieces in to form a robust unit.

I have great sympathy for Vente and hope that it might yet come good for him but I also have sympathy for NM. If NM finds that he has alternatives in the squad who give him what he needs right now, even if they're loan players, then so be it and Vente's just going to need to learn to be patient.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2024, 11:33 AM
I'm not so sure he's as good as others suggest, although difficult to tell in the system.

Hold up, link up and first touch been poor for a while. Those are the basics for any striker in any system.

flash
22-02-2024, 11:49 AM
I'm not so sure he's as good as others suggest, although difficult to tell in the system.

Hold up, link up and first touch been poor for a while. Those are the basics for any striker in any system.

Nice to see you back.

Stuart93
22-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Nice to see you back.

With a post that’s hard to disagree with

Lago
22-02-2024, 11:57 AM

Just yesterday thinking a lot of familiar faces had disappeared from the main forum, you being one, but pleased to see you back hopefully others will follow.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2024, 11:58 AM
Just yesterday thinking a lot of familiar faces had disappeared from the main forum, you being one, but pleased to see you back hopefully others will follow.

I'm very flattered. Thank you.

EGL2000
22-02-2024, 12:30 PM

I think it was obvious when he first came in how much quality he had, some of his touches were brilliant. I always like that you can see he works hard (which I think is sometimes a downfall). Multiple times if he looses the ball he will put in loads of effort to win it back running 30-40 yards, which I don't always think is the best use of his energy. If he gets back to getting decent service he will score goals.

Greenio
22-02-2024, 12:37 PM
The situation with NM and Vente has done more to turn me off those higher up the chain at Hibs than anything else.

A player with obvious credentials and excellent recent scoring record is signed for a not insignificant fee, states in an interview what his style of play is and how he tends to get his goals. Very soon into his first season (after a half decent start for the player) the coach is hoofed, before the transfer window has closed and before we can finish building the sort of team who can create the sort of chance that the player has fed off in recent years.

New manager comes in, tries to fit a square peg into a round hole before deciding player isn't one he can really rely on right now, at a time when the new manager is already under serious pressure to get results and save his own job.

Neither of these things are the fault of Vente or NM, it's a mess created by folk who don't have a clear vision about how the football department should look and who drop the appropriate pieces in to form a robust unit.

I have great sympathy for Vente and hope that it might yet come good for him but I also have sympathy for NM. If NM finds that he has alternatives in the squad who give him what he needs right now, even if they're loan players, then so be it and Vente's just going to need to learn to be patient.

This x 11 is the problem with firing managers too soon because you're frustrated and don't have any other answers

Alex Trager
22-02-2024, 12:45 PM

This is it.

I don’t think this means that if NM is sacked it all starts again.

Dempster spoke of continuity. If a manager is poached or sacked then it wouldn’t matter. The footballing department is run above the manager/coach so they come in to suit that and the players.

Now I don’t think she achieved that across managers, but I do think thay is the correct way to run the department.

If you’re not going to give a manager the time, money, and control that used to happen, then you need to have a greater process.

We have jumped from pillar to post over the last wee while. Neglecting obvious areas of the team, and bringing in coaches with completely different thoughts on the game.

Hopefully with BMc in place we can now start to see a settled approach, but I’m not sure how realistic that is based on what has happened under him so far.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2024, 12:58 PM
I think it was obvious when he first came in how much quality he had, some of his touches were brilliant. I always like that you can see he works hard (which I think is sometimes a downfall). Multiple times if he looses the ball he will put in loads of effort to win it back running 30-40 yards, which I don't always think is the best use of his energy. If he gets back to getting decent service he will score goals.

He needs to be a part of him getting decent service. If he can't hold it, he can't bring others into the game. If he can't link up play, Hibs can't attack as much.

For 700k he shouldn't need them put on a plate. Shankland certainly doesn't.

Heisenberg
22-02-2024, 01:19 PM
He needs to be a part of him getting decent service. If he can't hold it, he can't bring others into the game. If he can't link up play, Hibs can't attack as much.

That’s the problem I’ve had with him for a while now. Straight away Maolida has come in and made things happen just by being a bit stronger and having more about him to keep the ball and move it on or make a chance for himself. I’m not saying he’s been brilliant every minute he’s played by any means but he’s been an upgrade on what Vente was offering.

EGL2000
22-02-2024, 02:38 PM

Still think he's trying to do this fairly well. Won a number of good flick on headers against Celtic (which he definitely wouldn't be favourite to win) with no around him to pick the ball up. He probably needs to do more in the linking play front but I'd definitely say he's still out best finisher by some bit.

HibbyAndy
22-02-2024, 02:55 PM

Welcome back Bud :aok:

Lago
22-02-2024, 04:08 PM
I'm very flattered. Thank you.
:aok:

B.H.F.C
24-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Best game for Hibs today.

The Modfather
24-02-2024, 04:27 PM
Best game for Hibs today.

Thought he grew into the game and was better all round outside of the two times he out the ball n the net. Up until the penalty though I was thinking we should take him off at half time for Youan and put Maolida central as he wasn’t doing enough.

neil7908
24-02-2024, 04:31 PM
He's a quality player and will score goals if he gets the chances.

Dashing Bob S
24-02-2024, 04:35 PM

Yes he is and yes he will

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2024, 04:43 PM

I think he's a decent player, who would score goals if we create plenty.

Maolida is a quality player. His touch, hold up play, dribbling etc is miles clear of Vente.

VoltaireHibs
24-02-2024, 05:07 PM
I think he's a decent player, who would score goals if we create plenty.

Maolida is a quality player. His touch, hold up play, dribbling etc is miles clear of Vente.

Maolida is like Youan, with added game intelligence.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2024, 05:09 PM
Maolida is like Youan, with added game intelligence.

Maolida is like Youan if Youan was a good footballer.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-02-2024, 05:10 PM
Managed to stay on beyond 80 mins today, possibly the first time I've seen that.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-02-2024, 05:13 PM
Maolida is like Youan if Youan was a good footballer.

🤣🤣🤣

Heisenberg
24-02-2024, 06:27 PM
Glad he had the confidence to step up and take the penalty, good assist too. Definitely think that was one of his better all round performances. Like to see him keep his place for Wednesday.

Hibby Bairn
24-02-2024, 06:30 PM
Managed to stay on beyond 80 mins today, possibly the first time I've seen that.

That's because he wasn't playing as an extra midfielder.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2024, 06:43 PM
Thought he grew into the game and was better all round outside of the two times he out the ball n the net. Up until the penalty though I was thinking we should take him off at half time for Youan and put Maolida central as he wasn’t doing enough.

Totally disagree that he wasn’t doing enough. Even before the penalty he was linking the play really well. Had some lovely one touch layoffs all through the game, and his cushioned header in the second half was really clever.

He hits the target with the chances he is presented. Some criticism has been justified in the last couple of months, but the most derogatory comments about his ability in this thread are embarrassing.

Used correctly, he’ll score goals. Today he was used correctly.

Lago
24-02-2024, 06:46 PM
Really pleased for him considering the stick he's taken lately on here.

Smartie
24-02-2024, 06:47 PM

I agree with the part about him growing into the game. No issues with his work rate but I thought he looked nervous and bereft of confidence first half, at times almost like he didn’t know what to do. I thought he looked visibly happier as the game went on and it was clear he was having a positive impact on the game.

He needed to have a good game today and he did.

Kato
24-02-2024, 07:38 PM
Got an 8.6 on the footy apps today. Doesn't tell you everything but still impressive.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Jones28
24-02-2024, 07:38 PM
Delighted for him, goal and an assist and should have been more.

LaMotta
24-02-2024, 07:45 PM

With a post that’s hard to disagree with

He hasn't been great for a while before today, but I think that in bold is nonsense. Whilst he doesn't have the presence of many other strikers his hold up/link up play (for a wee guy) is very intelligent, and despite his lack of goals, has been for a while. On another day he could have had a hat trick today. Great to see him back, scoring, and playing well. And what a brilliant assist for Maolida's goal.

LaMotta
24-02-2024, 07:47 PM
Totally disagree that he wasn’t doing enough. Even before the penalty he was linking the play really well. Had some lovely one touch layoffs all through the game, and his cushioned header in the second half was really clever.

He hits the target with the chances he is presented. Some criticism has been justified in the last couple of months, but the most derogatory comments about his ability in this thread are embarrassing.

Used correctly, he’ll score goals. Today he was used correctly.

:agree::agree::agree:

Scooter
24-02-2024, 08:07 PM
He's one of my favourite players. He's no way scored as much as he should have. But he's neither up or down (never seems grumpy)and usually just works incredibly hard even if it not going his way

B.H.F.C
24-02-2024, 08:12 PM
I agree with the part about him growing into the game. No issues with his work rate but I thought he looked nervous and bereft of confidence first half, at times almost like he didn’t know what to do. I thought he looked visibly happier as the game went on and it was clear he was having a positive impact on the game.

He needed to have a good game today and he did.

The goal changed things for him.

Him grabbing the ball as soon as the penalty was given was good.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2024, 08:28 PM
Great player, can't believe he has doubters. Played correctly he will score goals.

sauzee1989
24-02-2024, 09:21 PM
Superb player and should be one of first names on team sheet.

SerenityGreen
24-02-2024, 09:36 PM
Superb player and should be one of first names on team sheet.

Totally agree, as others as well have posted. His touch and link play is superb. Put him in the right place and he will score. His finish today was excellent and only freeze frame technology robbed him of a well taken goal.

LaMotta
24-02-2024, 09:49 PM
Totally agree, as others as well have posted. His touch and link play is superb. Put him in the right place and he will score. His finish today was excellent and only freeze frame technology robbed him of a well taken goal.

Ridiculous that this is seen as offside these days:

https://twitter.com/Nathan_Andy22/status/1761426856144703740

How did it come to that? Pre VAR this is as clear an onside goal as you could see:

Hibeesdaft16
24-02-2024, 09:50 PM
Should have had two today and a great ball through for the winner. My MOTM.

BoomtownHibees
24-02-2024, 10:13 PM
Should have had two today and a great ball through for the winner. My MOTM.

Surely Maolida was everyone’s MOTM no?

Torto7
24-02-2024, 10:14 PM
He's a smashing player and I'm glad he scored and got an assist.

Hibeesdaft16
24-02-2024, 10:15 PM

I would go Vente for the assist also. Both had brilliant games.

Stairway 2 7
24-02-2024, 10:18 PM
He was good today. I think it's very clear he's a great striker.

We're fortunate Vente Boyle, Youan and Maolida are top drawer in this league, everyone with an idea knows that. What they need is supply With players like Marcondes they will score bucket loads.

Stairway 2 7
24-02-2024, 10:20 PM

Vente, Maolida and Marcondes were levels above. I'd say Maolida for the points but Marcondes was levels above anyone on the park

JohnM1875
24-02-2024, 10:29 PM
Yaaassssss!!! Chuffed for the boy. Took a set of stones tucking that penalty away.

Confidence player for sure. Seemed a yard quicker and hungrier after the goal. So happy for him.

eastmainsmsh
24-02-2024, 10:58 PM
The offside goal was classy great player when played correctly

Unseen work
24-02-2024, 11:08 PM
Great player, can't believe he has doubters. Played correctly he will score goals.

As much as some were maybe overreacting before, the same could maybe be said now the opposite way.

I’m chuffed for him and really hope this is the confidence boost he needed, good pen, good offside goal and good assist.

But we need to see good performances and an impact a lot more than he has been for the majority of the season. Thankfully he now has other players around him that will hopefully get the best out of him.

Is he a great striker? Still alot to prove imo.

Donegal Hibby
24-02-2024, 11:29 PM
The offside goal was classy great player when played correctly

:agree: . If we play him correctly and create chances for him I think we have a striker who could get 15 or 20 goals for us . Did Lovell mention at one point he was playing to deep ? ( Maybe wrong on that ) .

Brightside
25-02-2024, 07:42 AM
He was excellent. He generally is in most game. Work rate is a different level.

Greensunshine
25-02-2024, 07:51 AM
Delighted for him, just a pity he got one chalked off.

Stanton Spence
25-02-2024, 07:53 AM
I’ve been critical of him off lately and mostly justified but when I seen how we set up yesterday I thought he might score and backed him for the first goal.
Hopefully he can go on a wee run now and has gained some confidence from yesterday

Mikey_1875
25-02-2024, 08:40 AM
Hopefully kicks on from a good performance yesterday. A couple of games out the team seems to have done him the world of good.

Jones28
25-02-2024, 08:42 AM
Tidy penalty, some great saves from Carson and a goal that would have been given pre VAR.

Hope he has a good end to the season.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Hit the target with every attempt he had I think again yesterday. Penalty, the header that he had to generate all the power with, the disallowed goal, and the brilliant save by Carson just after we opened the scoring.

I’d certainly be looking for him to be scoring that latter chance, but at the same time, I’m quite happy with how he missed it. Had he simply slashed at it/blasted it over the bar, I’d have been annoyed, but he once again showed great composure.

Think he was banking on the keeper throwing himself across the goal, so the deliberate side foot finish to the near post made sense. To go through that thought process and execute the finish in a split second is impressive.

Obviously if he were to miss chances like that every week it would be a problem, but I think his composed and deliberate approach will bring many more goals. Didn’t appreciate just how good his finish was for the disallowed goal, thought he was much closer in. That was a lovely, guided side foot, on the half volley, as well.

BILLYHIBS
25-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Our best player yesterday according to football stats giant Sofa with a score of 8.6 three shots on target one goal one assist closely followed by Joe Newell 7.5 Maolida 7.4

HendoDelivered
25-02-2024, 10:54 PM
Makes a point a few times about his role as a striker: https://youtu.be/KfXJYgIBwH4?si=gM9hgjhXDJtwc9zC

Centre Hawf
26-02-2024, 12:02 AM
Said earlier in thread I felt his lack of goals came from generally just a lack of service, his average shots per game this season has been so low in comparison to strikers we would ideally like him to be close to (Miovski and Shankland for example).

But Saturday was the first time since the last derby where he had more than one shot in a game and the first since we beat Aberdeen in early December that he's had more than two, and he's came away with a goal (which should have been two) and an assist. Getting him involved in the game as an actual striker in the box with the team almost built to create as many chances for him between will, in my opinion, be a big reason we make top 6 if it happens.

Donegal Hibby
26-02-2024, 08:36 AM
Said earlier in thread I felt his lack of goals came from generally just a lack of service, his average shots per game this season has been so low in comparison to strikers we would ideally like him to be close to (Miovski and Shankland for example).

But Saturday was the first time since the last derby where he had more than one shot in a game and the first since we beat Aberdeen in early December that he's had more than two, and he's came away with a goal (which should have been two) and an assist. Getting him involved in the game as an actual striker in the box with the team almost built to create as many chances for him between will, in my opinion, be a big reason we make top 6 if it happens.

Agree about the lack service for Vente , he's also been played were we haven't been getting the best out of him either which must have had an effect on his confidence too . Play him more were he's suited and give him the service and I do think he would score a lot of goals for us .

Centre Hawf
26-02-2024, 09:17 AM
Agree about the lack service for Vente , he's also been played were we haven't been getting the best out of him either which must have had an effect on his confidence too . Play him more were he's suited and give him the service and I do think he would score a lot of goals for us .

Definitely. I think his play in the assist alone showed that his confidence was back up after even having one ruled out. Lovely weighted ball.

Hibernian Verse
26-02-2024, 09:27 AM
Our best player yesterday according to football stats giant Sofa with a score of 8.6 three shots on target one goal one assist closely followed by Joe Newell 7.5 Maolida 7.4

If there was a stat for how many times you put Shaughnessy on his arse Maolida would've got a 10.

BoomtownHibees
26-02-2024, 09:32 AM
Definitely. I think his play in the assist alone showed that his confidence was back up after even having one ruled out. Lovely weighted ball.

Which funnily enough came from him being deep and getting on the ball

Donegal Hibby
26-02-2024, 09:34 AM

Amazing what scoring a goal can do for a striker's confidence. He was very unfortunate with the disallowed goal , thought his movement was very good in it . The ball to Maolida was perfectly played alright. Hopefully his confidence is high now going into the derby and he scores again 🤞

hibsbollah
27-02-2024, 08:05 AM

The stat that jumped out at me was touches in opposition penalty box with 7. Thats something, especially as he was barely getting a touch in recent games. That stat, as well as the obvious talent we’ve stumbled into with Chairman Maolida, who looks like an actual Lyon/Hertha standard player, Boyle in the goals again and Emiliano being a step above what were used to, gives me real confidence there are goals in this team now.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2024, 08:47 AM
The stat that jumped out at me was touches in opposition penalty box with 7. Thats something, especially as he was barely getting a touch in recent games. That stat, as well as the obvious talent we’ve stumbled into with Chairman Maolida, who looks like an actual Lyon/Hertha standard player, Boyle in the goals again and Emiliano being a step above what were used to, gives me real confidence there are goals in this team now.

The best thing he did was grab the ball as soon as the penalty was given. He was taking it and that was that and that’s what I want from my striker.

There is definitely more goals in the team now and that wasn’t our biggest problem anyway.

Donegal Hibby
27-02-2024, 09:18 AM

I think the midfield players we have recruited are a big part of this , Marcondes allowing Vente to play further forward and Moriah -Welsh energy in midfield , covering as much ground as he does have improved us , Amos looks very good too . I thought our midfield dominated the game which probably helped the defence as well as we restricted them to only one shot on target too which was a good sign.

eastmainsmsh
27-02-2024, 11:13 AM
His holding the ball and link up play is good as well hope he can kick on rate him 👍

JimBHibees
27-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Which funnily enough came from him being deep and getting on the ball

Indeed

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-02-2024, 09:18 PM
I thought he was fantastic tonight. Put in a shift and should have had at least one goal

Between ridiculous offside goals and clearances off the line the lad should be on double digits.

Formation change and better players coming in has helped him massively

Iain G
28-02-2024, 09:21 PM
I thought he was fantastic tonight. Put in a shift and should have had at least one goal

Between ridiculous offside goals and clearances off the line the lad should be on double digits.

Formation change and better players coming in has helped him massively

Noticeable difference when he went off, our front four had been putting in a power of work to close down and block and hit on the break, Vente more than the others. We missed that when he was subbed.

Scooter
28-02-2024, 09:29 PM
I say this all the time I think he's great, he works his socks off every game.

Unseen work
28-02-2024, 09:33 PM
Two cleared off the line tonight, one was a brilliant flick.

Very unlucky.

Hopefully gets for confidence now and bangs them in for the rest of the season

Hibees1973
28-02-2024, 09:34 PM
He's quality, no doubt.

And with better players around him now, we will see him become a key player for us.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2024, 09:57 PM
Will get the goals his play deserves sooner rather than later. Really unlucky tonight.

Stairway 2 7
07-03-2024, 08:47 PM
Called up to the Suriname squad

https://twitter.com/windowintlpod/status/1765828838926307353

LaMotta
07-03-2024, 08:58 PM

Interesting. How does he qualify for them??

Stairway 2 7
07-03-2024, 09:00 PM
Interesting. How does he qualify for them??

No idea there are obviously huge links between the countries can only assume a parent/grandparent

Stubbsy90+2
07-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Read earlier that his great uncle had a nearly goal a game record for Feyenoord and the Netherlands and played in the 1934 and 1938 World Cup.

Useless fact for the day :aok:

Centre Hawf
07-03-2024, 10:10 PM

Interesting one. I wonder now with Brexit if some European players feel it's better now to get out and play for these types of nations once their chances of ever playing for their country of birth dies off to help with future work permits as they get older?

That said it's also great chance to potentially go play in the Gold Cup etc down the line and either way will probably be a half decent experience if he can put up with the travel.

JimBHibees
08-03-2024, 06:17 AM
Will get the goals his play deserves sooner rather than later. Really unlucky tonight.

Hopefully Sunday.

Donegal Hibby
08-03-2024, 07:12 AM
Looking at the Hibs squad ( including loans in/out ) . With Vente being called up by Suriname I make it we have 14 different nationalities . Don't think we have ever had that many different , have we ? .

Cocaine&Caviar
08-03-2024, 07:44 AM
New national coach Suriname withdraws call for Dylan Vente at the last minute (voetbalzone.nl) (https://www.voetbalzone.nl/nieuws/nieuwe-bondscoach-suriname-trekt-oproep-voor-dylan-vente-op-laatste-moment-terug/431811)

New national coach Suriname withdraws call for Dylan Vente at the last minute

Dylan Vente appeared to be included in the pre-selection of the national team of Suriname (https://www.voetbalzone.nl/club.asp?uid=1940) on Thursday, but that news was premature. The Hibernian FC striker suddenly appeared on the list of the provisional selection, without having made a decision about his international career. That's what sources around the player report to Voetbalzone. In the meantime, the news has also been rectified by the Surinamese federation (SVB). Furthermore, it was announced on Thursday-evening that Stanley Menzo is the new national coach.

n the pre-selection for the friendly game against Martinique, Vente's name suddenly appeared. The 24-year-old striker from Rotterdam has never played for Suriname, but as a top talent of Feyenoord he played dozens of youth international matches for the Dutch national team. The fact that Vente was on the provisional list of the Natio caused a lot of confusion on X.

In the future, Vente could possibly play for Suriname, but at the moment there is no question of an international career for the Natio. Inquiries show that the centre-forward does indeed have Surinamese roots, but sources around the player report that the rumour is 'not yet applicable'.

In the end, the alleged selection turns out to be a misunderstanding. The official account of the federation (@officialsvb on Instagram) had initially shared a list with Vente's name on it, but it has now been reposted. The former club top scorer of Roda JC is therefore missing from the correct list.

However, the previously posted list was quickly copied on social media, making it unclear for a while. In the meantime, the list has been corrected: Vente is no longer among the other names. Aris Limassol striker Jaden Montnor, who is included in the second version, can therefore still hope for a call-up for the friendly game with Martinique.

The Modfather
04-05-2024, 05:38 PM
Was he was taken off at half time because he was poor or for injury? How did he play?

Northernhibee
04-05-2024, 05:39 PM
Was he was taken off at half time because he was poor or for injury? How did he play?

Offered about the same amount of goal threat as he did when he was out injured.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2024, 05:43 PM
I don't think he's hopeless, but it isn't service. He simply has not been playing well.

Dazzjw1875
04-05-2024, 05:45 PM
He can't do anything without service, Alf came on and for me done even less than Him. But if NM does somehow manage to keep his job I think DV will be moved on I don't think he is rated.. why, well for me he should only be subbed if he was injured.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2024, 05:56 PM
He can't do anything without service, Alf came on and for me done even less than Him. But if NM does somehow manage to keep his job I think DV will be moved on I don't think he is rated.. why, well for me he should only be subbed if he was injured.

He had chances in the box today but was too slow. It seems like the only way he is going to do anything is if he’s standing in the box, on his own, under little pressure. His general play was once again poor. Compare him to Murray who never gave our defence a minute. Doesn’t do nearly enough in games for me.

J-C
04-05-2024, 06:20 PM
Funnily enough ALF did the square root of nowt just like Vente when he replaced him, slow pedestrian tactics, poor crosses, poor passing and poor choices don't help. Stats are 20 shots, 5 on target, 7 off target and 8 blocked, with only one goal scored says it all.

PHeffernan
04-05-2024, 06:26 PM

Just back from injury. Played twice as many minutes as he did last week .
Didn't appear injured so should be able to manage an hour next week.
Had little effect on the game, same as his half time replacement ALF.

Centre Hawf
04-05-2024, 06:35 PM
Thought he was unlucky with a chance in the first half but like others said his service left a lot to be desired as well as his general play.

Would have liked to have seen him get an hour today rather and for the rest of the split to get a proper run as his Hibs career so far has been very stop start. Hope it was just fitness that caused him to come off.

truehibernian
04-05-2024, 06:40 PM
I think there’s a terrific player in Vente and given it’s his first season in Scottish football and his injury I’m excited to see him after a good preseason under a manager who plays him up top with a partner and a midfield that can create.

The other issue is how we play - playing pointless needless passes from keeper along the back four and back until we are pressed out of possession really isn’t helping our front three. We need to ditch that and be more direct. The only team good at that in this league are Celtic because they have very good quality defenders who can pass and out of trouble, with the added quality of McGregor, Harate and O’Riley who can take the ball, retain it, and move it rapidly wide.

I’m not advocating a long ball game, but we need to ditch playing every single time from the keeper to our back line - teams have sussed that and it’s easy to play against with the type of players we have at the back and centrally in midfield.

Bostonhibby
04-05-2024, 06:41 PM
Funnily enough ALF did the square root of nowt just like Vente when he replaced him, slow pedestrian tactics, poor crosses, poor passing and poor choices don't help. Stats are 20 shots, 5 on target, 7 off target and 8 blocked, with only one goal scored says it all.There's been something rotten tactically at the club for such a long time, if we got Harry Kane on loan we'd suck his ability to dive out of him.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
04-05-2024, 06:52 PM
I was disappointed when he didn`t come out for the second half and the change certainly didn`t help us . We`re not getting the best out of him . Hopefully he gets more time in the next three matches and is ready to make an impact next season . Can see him scoring more than a goal per game in LC group matches and hopefully that will lead to more goals in the league .

LaMotta
04-05-2024, 07:05 PM
Alf and Vente played well together. Monty isnt playing them at the same time though. I think both would be better if they were linking up with each other.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2024, 07:11 PM

Hasn't Simon Murray scored about 18 goals this season? Is he getting 18 goals worth of service? Or is he doing a bit himself.

Far too many games passed Vente by now.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2024, 07:11 PM
Alf and Vente played well together. Monty isnt playing them at the same time though. I think both would be better if they were linking up with each other.

Bring back the 442!

ChuckNor
04-05-2024, 07:19 PM
Things looked incredibly bright for Vente at the start. The confidence and ability has been torn out if him by a manager totally out of his depth. Some of the decisions behind the scenes at this club are toxic. Ben Kensell must go.

eastmainsmsh
04-05-2024, 07:25 PM
Hasn't Simon Murray scored about 18 goals this season? Is he getting 18 goals worth of service? Or is he doing a bit himself.

To think we let him go and got mclaren baffling

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2024, 07:27 PM
To think we let him go and got mclaren baffling

An excellent deal at the time. We were the second best team in the country for that 6 month period and Maclaren was a key part of that.

truehibernian
04-05-2024, 07:28 PM

I’d have Simon back in summer - alongside Vente and Maoilida. You know what you get with SM, an absolute bursting desire to play for the team press and score goals. It would be a no brainer for me. Fit as a fiddle, loves Hibs, and would come back in a heartbeat.

LaMotta
04-05-2024, 07:41 PM
Bring back the 442!

:greengrin:greengrin

Smartie
04-05-2024, 07:42 PM
I’d have Simon back in summer - alongside Vente and Maoilida. You know what you get with SM, an absolute bursting desire to play for the team press and score goals. It would be a no brainer for me. Fit as a fiddle, loves Hibs, and would come back in a heartbeat.

Signing Murray is about as obvious a good move for us as there is.

Every move has risks but that one would have very few downsides.

Apart from anything else - he makes defenders’ lives difficult with his pace, work rate and pressing, we don’t really have anyone similar. Do you think there are many SPFL defenders going about saying “that Dylan Vente is a nightmare to play against, never gives you a minute’s peace”.

I mean, of course we won’t actually sign him. But we absolutely should.

Silky
04-05-2024, 08:21 PM
Things looked incredibly bright for Vente at the start. The confidence and ability has been torn out if him by a manager totally out of his depth. Some of the decisions behind the scenes at this club are toxic. Ben Kensell must go.

That's interesting. He had a different manager at the start. One who was also out of his depth! I wonder, then, if the previous incumbent maybe knew how to get the best out of him or if the problem is, actually, Vente!!

hibbydad
04-05-2024, 08:31 PM
That's interesting. He had a different manager at the start. One who was also out of his depth! I wonder, then, if the previous incumbent maybe knew how to get the best out of him or if the problem is, actually, Vente!!
The problem is not Vente ply him along with another layer alongside him and he will score goals. Monty has never played him properly since he became manager he has no clue

B.H.F.C
04-05-2024, 08:38 PM
The problem is not Vente ply him along with another layer alongside him and he will score goals. Monty has never played him properly since he became manager he has no clue

For months, all we heard we needed to do with Vente was play him in a front three with Boyle and Youan either side. That was something that would really improve us and him. Now that he looks ineffective in that formation, we need to go back to a two (which as far as he goes I don’t disagree with as long as he was played right up). Irrespective of formation he’s done nowhere near enough in far too many games over the course of the season. Today was another example of that.

Northernhibee
04-05-2024, 08:48 PM
Utterly bored of the excuses being made for him. Simon Murray doesn’t need an entire team to play his way to get o chances, he works hard and makes his own chances. Jordan White didn’t, he put himself about and made enough of a nuisance of himself to get on the scoresheet.

He doesn’t work hard enough, he isn’t physical enough, he’s an absolute country mile away from being good enough from this level.

Brooster
05-05-2024, 06:51 AM
As said umpteen times on this thread for weeks....Simon Murray is a far better player than Dylan Vente.

Jones28
05-05-2024, 07:35 AM
He had a promising start under Johnson, imo it’s not coincidence NM came in and he’s looked a shadow of the player we signed.

He showed against St Johnstone he plays off the shoulder and gets in behind and can finish, he needs chances and he needs teams to give him a bit of space in behind. Our ponderous play style allows for none of that.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2024, 07:50 AM
He had a promising start under Johnson, imo it’s not coincidence NM came in and he’s looked a shadow of the player we signed.

He showed against St Johnstone he plays off the shoulder and gets in behind and can finish, he needs chances and he needs teams to give him a bit of space in behind. Our ponderous play style allows for none of that.

We can’t carry a striker where all we are reliant on him getting a chance under next to no pressure inside the box but who contributes very little else throughout the game. The contrast in the centre forwards on the park yesterday made it so apparent how much we are lacking in that area.

He also scored two goals under Johnson then three in Montgomery’s first three games so I don’t think the promising start can all be attributed to Johnson. Up until that point he’d scored with every shot he’d had and that was never sustainable.

Jones28
05-05-2024, 07:59 AM
We can’t carry a striker where all we are reliant on him getting a chance under next to no pressure inside the box but who contributes very little else throughout the game. The contrast in the centre forwards on the park yesterday made it so apparent how much we are lacking in that area.

He also scored two goals under Johnson then three in Montgomery’s first three games so I don’t think the promising start can all be attributed to Johnson. Up until that point he’d scored with every shot he’d had and that was never sustainable.

IIRC Vente played two key passes after picking the ball up from practically the half way line yesterday in the build up to the corner for our goal so he made a decent enough contribution in his time in the pitch yesterday.

Maybe that wasn’t all attributable to LJ but he was being playing in his proper position under him at least, I don’t remember exactly when he effectively turned in to a midfielder under NM but I don’t think it was immediately after he came in.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2024, 08:11 AM
IIRC Vente played two key passes after picking the ball up from practically the half way line yesterday in the build up to the corner for our goal so he made a decent enough contribution in his time in the pitch yesterday.

Maybe that wasn’t all attributable to LJ but he was being playing in his proper position under him at least, I don’t remember exactly when he effectively turned in to a midfielder under NM but I don’t think it was immediately after he came in.

When Le Fondre got injured and we were short of bodies Vente started playing a bit differently whilst paired with Boyle for a bit. Incidentally for all the criticism at the time, we’d managed to grind out some results and get ourselves into a reasonable position leading up to Christmas. Other than that, the positional stuff is overplayed IMO. I can’t believe anyone would consider his contribution yesterday decent enough and I can’t remember having a player who has had so many excuses made for him. There is clearly a bit of ability there but he’s done nowhere near enough in his time here.

I don’t see how he fits in to this team. I don’t think he has enough about him to play as the central striker on his own but he can’t play with a partner as 442 is strictly forbidden.

The Modfather
05-05-2024, 08:30 AM
When Le Fondre got injured and we were short of bodies Vente started playing a bit differently whilst paired with Boyle for a bit. Incidentally for all the criticism at the time, we’d managed to grind out some results and get ourselves into a reasonable position leading up to Christmas. Other than that, the positional stuff is overplayed IMO. I can’t believe anyone would consider his contribution yesterday decent enough and I can’t remember having a player who has had so many excuses made for him. There is clearly a bit of ability there but he’s done nowhere near enough in his time here.

I don’t see how he fits in to this team. I don’t think he has enough about him to play as the central striker on his own but he can’t play with a partner as 442 is strictly forbidden.

Vente is a big downgrade on Nisbet IMO. It’s criminal to spend £700k on a player lacking in his all round game like Vente is. It’s like Jenga trying too play to one players strengths while balancing the obvious limitations that magnifies elsewhere.

Formations are definitely an overused mitigation for Vente. He’s played in a 433 in between Youan & Boyle. Deeper in a 442, higher in a 442 and almost in a 424 with Marcondes supporting him. The take home seems to be that Monty is to blame.

Monty is the lightning rod, understandably so, but every player bar Maolida & probably Obita have largely got off scot free this season for their performances which always go back to Montgomery being the reason despite them already having seen of Johnson this season and they’d have seen off Montgomery in the same season if Hibs hadn’t backed themselves into our current corner after the culmination of a number of years of mismanagement.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2024, 08:43 AM
Vente is a big downgrade on Nisbet IMO. It’s criminal to spend £700k on a player lacking in his all round game like Vente is. It’s like Jenga trying too play to one players strengths while balancing the obvious limitations that magnifies elsewhere.

Formations are definitely an overused mitigation for Vente. He’s played in a 433 in between Youan & Boyle. Deeper in a 442, higher in a 442 and almost in a 424 with Marcondes supporting him. The take home seems to be that Monty is to blame.

Monty is the lightning rod, understandably so, but every player bar Maolida & probably Obita have largely got off scot free this season for their performances which always go back to Montgomery being the reason despite them already having seen of Johnson this season and they’d have seen off Montgomery in the same season if Hibs hadn’t backed themselves into our current corner after the culmination of a number of years of mismanagement.

Agree totally. I’m not for a minute saying Montgomery isn’t at fault but so many of our players have failed to contribute positively throughout the season for reasons beyond that.

If Nisbet had played as many games for us this season as Vente has, I’m pretty certain that he’d have scored a lot more than 8 goals. And a lot of that would have been down to having a real determination to get in to positions to do so and being capable of scoring different types of goals.

eastmainsmsh
05-05-2024, 08:54 AM
If foley is real deal why not pay money and wages and bring Nisbet back Apart from wages on offer Millwall was a daft move

snedzuk
05-05-2024, 09:07 AM
I quite like Vente. However, even when he's fit you don't get any more than 60 minutes running out of him and that might be fine when he isn't tracking back half the time. Said to my Mrs yesterday let's watch Simon Murray for 5 minutes then Vente for 5. Murray = fit as a butchers dog and a total pain to play against / keeps a high line / a nuisance. For the next (Dylans) 5 minutes we could easily see him from our seat as well because he was at the half way line for most of it.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2024, 09:14 AM
If foley is real deal why not pay money and wages and bring Nisbet back Apart from wages on offer Millwall was a daft move

"Apart from wages"? What other reason is there to go to work?

snedzuk
05-05-2024, 09:40 AM
"Apart from wages"? What other reason is there to go to work?

In Kevin Nisbets case, maybe to get ahead of this from yesterday

Nisbet, 27, found himself DROPPED from Neil Harris' final squad of the season for Millwall's match against Swansea over an internal club matter - a week after finally overcoming a serious hamstring injury.

His 22 minutes against Plymouth last weekend was his first competitive action since January but Nisbet was banished back to the sidelines by his boss - who stressed standards must be met at The New Den.

JimBHibees
05-05-2024, 10:37 AM
I quite like Vente. However, even when he's fit you don't get any more than 60 minutes running out of him and that might be fine when he isn't tracking back half the time. Said to my Mrs yesterday let's watch Simon Murray for 5 minutes then Vente for 5. Murray = fit as a butchers dog and a total pain to play against / keeps a high line / a nuisance. For the next (Dylans) 5 minutes we could easily see him from our seat as well because he was at the half way line for most of it.

Very good comparison between the two players

Hibees1973
05-05-2024, 01:26 PM
Vente is a prime example of a good player, but when our coaches get hold of him he is played out of position and ineffectual.

Would have been a waste of time and money if he moves on.

A good manager, such as McInnes, would get the best out of him.

Northernhibee
05-05-2024, 01:45 PM
Vente is a prime example of a good player, but when our coaches get hold of him he is played out of position and ineffectual.

Along with Cabraja, a prime example of incompetent scouting. In another team in another league there may be a player but he, like Cabraja, is too slow and not strong enough to have any impact.

The Modfather
05-05-2024, 01:52 PM

A good manager/recruitment wouldn’t have signed him in the first place, certainly not for £700k when his all round game is limited and signing him doesn’t compliment what’s already there. Another case of signing a good individual player and then worry about how he fits in afterwards.

Centre Hawf
05-05-2024, 02:23 PM
A good manager/recruitment wouldn’t have signed him in the first place, certainly not for £700k when his all round game is limited and signing him doesn’t compliment what’s already there. Another case of signing a good individual player and then worry about how he fits in afterwards.

I think that also applies to the managerial appointment.

I said ages ago that something that has frustrated me the most with NM's appointment was that we went out and got a manager that seemed to want to play a system or use Vente and Youan in roles that quite clearly did not suit them. We've spent the best part of £1.5m on the two of them last summer and we done zero work on how the new manager would use them mere months after shelling out for them. I'm not saying we should run the entire club around suiting these guys but when you put in such a significant investment into some players the first thing you should want to do is make sure the conditions for them to succeed are as correct as can be. Instead

Instead we've just winged it since they've arrived and now here we are the end of both players first season as permanent Hibs players and the manager picks and chooses when he uses two of our most expensive players ever because he's never been able to coach the pair of them to actually perform consistently.

J-C
05-05-2024, 02:25 PM
Along with Cabraja, a prime example of incompetent scouting. In another team in another league there may be a player but he, like Cabraja, is too slow and not strong enough to have any impact.

Cabraja's form dropped dramatically when his father passed away suddenly and at a youngish age, his head was obviously nowhere near ER due to this and he was rightly allowed to move in the next window to be nearer his home and family.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2024, 02:29 PM
I think that also applies to the managerial appointment.

I said ages ago that something that has frustrated me the most with NM's appointment was that we went out and got a manager that seemed to want to play a system or use Vente and Youan in roles that quite clearly did not suit them. We've spent the best part of £1.5m on the two of them last summer and we done zero work on how the new manager would use them mere months after shelling out for them. I'm not saying we should run the entire club around suiting these guys but when you put in such a significant investment into some players the first thing you should want to do is make sure the conditions for them to succeed are as correct as can be. Instead

Instead we've just winged it since they've arrived and now here we are the end of both players first season as permanent Hibs players and the manager picks and chooses when he uses two of our most expensive players ever because he's never been able to coach the pair of them to actually perform consistently.

Youan has still chipped in pretty consistently over the season and has good numbers for a wide player. With Vente, I’m just not sure he’s the player the price tag suggests. He’s come from a low level, albeit the game will be much more technical, but it’s a totally different game here.

WhileTheChief..
05-05-2024, 02:38 PM

He was signed for the potential money we'd make on him, not for what he might do on the pitch for us. Another example of our failed strategy.

Centre Hawf
05-05-2024, 03:02 PM
Youan has still chipped in pretty consistently over the season and has good numbers for a wide player. With Vente, I’m just not sure he’s the player the price tag suggests. He’s come from a low level, albeit the game will be much more technical, but it’s a totally different game here.

I'm a fan of Elie and as you say he has chipped in. But the manager for the most part played him with a lot more defensive duties than he's clearly capable of in a 442 for a long time. He's also left him on the park when we're a goal up and wondering why he's let a man run off him at the 90th minute. It's poor from Elie, but man management would suggest you learn your players strengths and weaknesses and account for them.

When it comes to Vente I don't hugely know his capabilities as I never watched him in Holland, but I've seen a good finisher who takes up good positions. That's a good start. If we can start creating some chances for him and playing him for longer than 45 minutes a game we might get to find out for sure if he's capable or not.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2024, 03:38 PM
I'm a fan of Elie and as you say he has chipped in. But the manager for the most part played him with a lot more defensive duties than he's clearly capable of in a 442 for a long time. He's also left him on the park when we're a goal up and wondering why he's let a man run off him at the 90th minute. It's poor from Elie, but man management would suggest you learn your players strengths and weaknesses and account for them.

When it comes to Vente I don't hugely know his capabilities as I never watched him in Holland, but I've seen a good finisher who takes up good positions. That's a good start. If we can start creating some chances for him and playing him for longer than 45 minutes a game we might get to find out for sure if he's capable or not.

As far as the 442 goes, I’ve always felt that it’s negative impact has been overstated. If you look at Youan as an example, since we changed it he’s got 4 assists and one goal. It’s not as if he’s suddenly started banging them in since we changed and we’ve been equally as pish defensively before and after the shape change. I do agree there are times where you just take him off the park late in games when you’re trying to hold a lead as he’s a liability in that sense.

With Vente, a chance seems to be him being in the middle of the box under zero pressure with the ball rolled nicely in front of him. You’re not going to get those kind of chances all that often. He had a couple of opportunities yesterday. One was a ball in from the right, not an easy chance at all, but he got it all wrong and it went a mile over the bar. The other he was through but took too long / took too many touches and let the defenders back in. I just think he needs to do more. Simon Murray is the comparison with playing them yesterday. He’s not getting chances put on a plate for him but through work rate and a bit of determination he’s getting himself in to good positions and managed to get himself 19 goals for a struggling team.

WestStandWillie
06-05-2024, 12:32 PM
Vente's a good player but being used all wrong. His link up play with Le Fondre in the games they played together was cracking.

He'll score goals if used properly, whether that's here or elsewhere. I hope it's here!