11-02-2024, 01:47 PM
Was it not the same against Celtc?

Hibeesdaft16
11-02-2024, 01:50 PM
Boyle?? :confused:

lugz
11-02-2024, 01:51 PM
Boyle?? :confused:

Was just going to say that, we're no actually calling him Australian are we :greengrin

Liam978
11-02-2024, 01:51 PM
Is that the first time?
Is David Marshall noo chinese.

Hibeesdaft16
11-02-2024, 01:53 PM
Was just going to say that, we're no actually calling him Australian are we :greengrin

:greengrin would hope no.

NeilT
11-02-2024, 01:53 PM
:agree: So was the Celtc game the first time?

DH1875
11-02-2024, 02:02 PM
Pretty sure its happened before. Sure there was a thread on it. It was all 11 players though so would have been a game that Marshall didn't play.

*I think maybe Boyle played but was being considered Australian.

AugustaHibs
11-02-2024, 02:05 PM
Is David Marshall noo chinese.

Naw he’s Scottish but he’s not outfield

BoomtownHibees
11-02-2024, 02:11 PM
:agree: So was the Celtc game the first time?

Boyle?

Itsnoteasy
11-02-2024, 02:17 PM
Is that the first time?

Sad day if that's the case.

Zazu62
11-02-2024, 02:21 PM
Boyle was born in Scotland so that counts for me.

CapitalGreen
11-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Maybe too many Scots has been the problem.

Gatecrasher
11-02-2024, 04:15 PM
It's so disappointing to see this happen. Developing Scottish players and bringing them through should be amongst the clubs ambitions. It looks like we're going to be pumped full of foreigners for the foreseeable.

Greensunshine
11-02-2024, 05:15 PM
Who cares? It won’t affect our international cridentials because we can always rely on someone somewhere in the world of football to have a great Scottish Granny! 🤣

Irish_Steve
11-02-2024, 05:24 PM
I don't care if we have an outfield made up of players from Govan - I just want players willing to give all for the cause

Donegal Hibby
11-02-2024, 05:48 PM
I suppose this is mainly down to looking in markets were we can get the best value from now . All is not lost from a Scottish player point of view though with a good crop of young Scottish players at Hibs though.

Smartie
11-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Would we ever have had a team made up entirely of Irishmen in 1875?

Cat Stanton
11-02-2024, 06:31 PM

Wasn't a problem in May 2016.

lyonhibs
11-02-2024, 07:42 PM
Couldn't care less as long as they're good enough.

Forza Fred
11-02-2024, 08:48 PM
At club level, what difference does it make where a player comes from?

He's here!
11-02-2024, 09:08 PM

You could argue that with an Sydney-born dad and dual UK/Australian citizenship he's as Aussie as he is Scottish. Not to mention he opted for Australia ahead of Scotland when decided who he wanted to represent internationally.

He's here!
11-02-2024, 09:13 PM

No difference, but it might be nice to have a few more players coming through the Academy (Scottish or not) otherwise you could question why we don't just scrap the youth system. The number of youth players who actually make it as a first team regular must be tiny at pretty much all top flight clubs.

CapitalGreen
11-02-2024, 09:30 PM
You could argue that with an Sydney-born dad and dual UK/Australian citizenship he's as Aussie as he is Scottish. Not to mention he opted for Australia ahead of Scotland when decided who he wanted to represent internationally.

I suppose you could argue that, why anyone would want to is another question.

CapitalGreen
11-02-2024, 09:34 PM
No difference, but it might be nice to have a few more players coming through the Academy (Scottish or not) otherwise you could question why we don't just scrap the youth system. The number of youth players who actually make it as a first team regular must be tiny at pretty much all top flight clubs.

5 academy products have made their first team debut this season with another 4 being named on the bench for the first time.

Hibee Mac
11-02-2024, 09:47 PM
Why do so many people treat Boyle as Australian? [emoji23] I've never understood it, he's Scottish through and through

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

EdinMike
11-02-2024, 09:50 PM
We’re all Jocks Bairns… 🤷

Greenio
11-02-2024, 09:58 PM
Why do so many people treat Boyle as Australian? [emoji23] I've never understood it, he's Scottish through and through

Nationality is a hard concept to pin down.

Technically is birth place and parentage.

However you can be half something, a quarter something...say your Scottish without having been born here, or have any family from here.

No idea what nationality Boyle considers himself.

He'll be a dual citizen of both.

So Scaussie maybe?

matty_f
11-02-2024, 10:03 PM
Nationality is a hard concept to pin down.

Technically is birth place and parentage.

However you can be half something, a quarter something...say your Scottish without having been born here, or have any family from here.

No idea what nationality Boyle considers himself.

He'll be a dual citizen of both.

So Scaussie maybe?

Ausstish.

Donegal Hibby
11-02-2024, 10:28 PM
Did he not opt for Australia over Scotland maybe due to it being partly because he wasn't getting picked and the then Scotland manager said he was well covered in Boyles position too ? ( Might be totally wrong on that btw ) .

Hibee Mac
11-02-2024, 10:31 PM
Did he not opt for Australia over Scotland maybe due to it being partly because he wasn't getting picked and the then Scotland manager said he was well covered in Boyles position too ? ( Might be totally wrong on that btw ) .That's correct, had he been shown some signs of being chosen for Scotland he 100% would be playing for our national team.

Ultimately he's probably made the better decision for his own career, but I've no doubt Scotland would have been his first choice early in his career.

mjh
11-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Naw he’s Scottish but he’s not outfield

He does have form on that score !

He's here!
11-02-2024, 10:41 PM
Did he not opt for Australia over Scotland maybe due to it being partly because he wasn't getting picked and the then Scotland manager said he was well covered in Boyles position too ? ( Might be totally wrong on that btw ) .

Pretty sure he'd have been capped for Scotland had he decided to choose them ahead of Australia but I imagine he weighed it up and reckoned he'd be more successful with the latter. 28 caps and 8 international goals later who can argue with his decision? Australia have also been World Cup regulars this century versus Scotland's zero appearances.

BoomtownHibees
11-02-2024, 11:03 PM
Pretty sure he'd have been capped for Scotland had he decided to choose them ahead of Australia but I imagine he weighed it up and reckoned he'd be more successful with the latter. 28 caps and 8 international goals later who can argue with his decision? Australia have also been World Cup regulars this century versus Scotland's zero appearances.

He never had a choice. Scotland never tried to call him up

Hibeesdaft16
11-02-2024, 11:14 PM

Nope. He spoke to McLeish who never had him part of his plans.

He's from up North, lived in Scotland all his life, made no secret he wanted to play international football and tournaments. He's as Aussie as Matt Elliot is Scottish.

He's here!
12-02-2024, 07:22 AM
He never had a choice. Scotland never tried to call him up

He opted for Australia about six years ago I think? Hard to imagine his form since then wouldn't have had him in the Scotland frame.

Whatever, I'm sure he's happy enough with the way his international career has worked out despite being injured for the World Cup.

Forza Fred
12-02-2024, 07:27 AM

Boyler Born a Leither, the same as a lot of us.

He's here!
12-02-2024, 07:38 AM
5 academy products have made their first team debut this season with another 4 being named on the bench for the first time.

How many since the academy was opened in 2007 have gone on to become regulars though? Its a tiny percentage of those who have been recruited. I've been glad to see Monty giving some their chance but the likes of Whittaker seem to take a lot of flak on here about not being ready/good enough.

It's not a problem unique to Hibs by any means. Most managers will opt to bring in experience over raw youth, irrespective of how effective a signing proves to be.

He's here!
12-02-2024, 07:41 AM
Boyler Born a Leither, the same as a lot of us.

Thought he was born in Aberdeen? His Dad was definitely born in Australia, but supports the yams IIRC.

LewysGot2
12-02-2024, 07:44 AM
Nope. He spoke to McLeish who never had him part of his plans.

He's from up North, lived in Scotland all his life, made no secret he wanted to play international football and tournaments. He's as Aussie as Matt Elliot is Scottish.

It was McLeish in charge when he had the decision to make about Australia. Boyle wanted to play for Scotland but GJP basically told him nae chance, pal. The rest is history.

Sure Boyles father was also a Jambo...and Martin's as much a Jambo as he is Australian too 🤣😉

Forza Fred
12-02-2024, 07:50 AM
Thought he was born in Aberdeen? His Dad was definitely born in Australia, but supports the yams IIRC.

Press repeatedly get his place of birth wrong.

Martin grew up in Aberdeen, but was actually born in the same place as me and many others on here…The Eastern General Hospital, Seafield Road Edinburgh 6.

His Dad is from the Sydney suburb of Balmain..but not aware of any previous Jambo sympathies!

hibby rae
12-02-2024, 07:53 AM

Under FIFA rules he's now Aussie. If you look at the Hibs team on wiki, there will be an Aussie flag next to him

hibby rae
12-02-2024, 07:55 AM
Would we ever have had a team made up entirely of Irishmen in 1875?

Most probably. The main reason why so league clubs at the time hated us.

Not In The Know
12-02-2024, 08:01 AM
Scottish Manager too…

Forza Fred
12-02-2024, 08:05 AM
Under FIFA rules he's now Aussie. If you look at the Hibs team on wiki, there will be an Aussie flag next to him

He’s an Australian internationalist….not sure that doesn’t mean he’s not Scottish in the context we are talking about…….but could argue either way I guess.

Complicated business now, dual citizenship………what does that make Monty….Austrlian…where he first coached….English…where he was born……or Scottish because he played for Scottish youth…….but doesn’t tie him to Scotland?

J-C
12-02-2024, 09:11 AM
Boyle holds dual nationality, only plays for Oz due to his father and short sightedness of the then Scottish manager.

Billy Whizz
12-02-2024, 09:15 AM
Transfermarkt has Hibs down as 80% foreign players
I’m not sure if England is classed as foreign
Killie are just over 48%, so looks like McInnes likes tried and trusted SPFL players

He's here!
12-02-2024, 09:21 AM
Press repeatedly get his place of birth wrong.

Martin grew up in Aberdeen, but was actually born in the same place as me and many others on here…The Eastern General Hospital, Seafield Road Edinburgh 6.

His Dad is from the Sydney suburb of Balmain..but not aware of any previous Jambo sympathies!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72kp8v27z5o

Looks like he converted him!

Vault Boy
12-02-2024, 01:55 PM
If you’re good enough, you’re Scottish enough

WhileTheChief..
12-02-2024, 02:30 PM
Not saying it's a problem having no Scottish players, but I liked it when we had guys like McGregor in the team.

Guys like him just 'get it', whereas far too many of our signings had probably never even heard of us before their agent mentioned it! I really hope a couple of the young guys can break through and become fans favourites with us.

It's hard to feel anything for players that are only here on loan or passing through as part of another failed window from us. They're quickly forgotten only to be replaced by more of the same.

It'll be good if we sign a few quality players on decent length contracts this summer so that we can actually build something and have that identity that's been missing for so long.

SickBoy32
12-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Not saying it's a problem having no Scottish players, but I liked it when we had guys like McGregor in the team.

Guys like him just 'get it', whereas far too many of our signings had probably never even heard of us before their agent mentioned it! I really hope a couple of the young guys can break through and become fans favourites with us.

It's hard to feel anything for players that are only here on loan or passing through as part of another failed window from us. They're quickly forgotten only to be replaced by more of the same.

It'll be good if we sign a few quality players on decent length contracts this summer so that we can actually build something and have that identity that's been missing for so long.

Excellent post, sadly this appears to be the direction of travel in our quest for player trading gains.

Hibby Kay-Yay
12-02-2024, 03:12 PM
It's so disappointing to see this happen. Developing Scottish players and bringing them through should be amongst the clubs ambitions. It looks like we're going to be pumped full of foreigners for the foreseeable.

So we have one or two games with no outfield Scottish rep, for potentially the first time in our history, and we conclude that we will be ‘pumped full of foreigners for the foreseeable’?

This place is nuts at times.

LaMotta
12-02-2024, 03:31 PM
Another interesting thing (at least to me) is that 20 years on from Kevin Harper becoming the first black player to play competitively for Hibs, we could now fill a starting eleven featuring only black players. We would have to recall Kenneh from loan and we'd have to go 3-5-2

Wollacot

Megwa
Rocky
Obita

Jair
Moriah Welsh
Kenneh
Amos
Mayenda

Youan
Maolida

ancient hibee
12-02-2024, 04:49 PM
So we have one or two games with no outfield Scottish rep, for potentially the first time in our history, and we conclude that we will be ‘pumped full of foreigners for the foreseeable’?

Yes. We need another Hanlon and Stevenson so that netters can spend the next 15 years arguing over whether or not they’re good enough to be in the team.

AgentDaleCooper
12-02-2024, 04:55 PM

it is always nice to see the community represented in the team, as we have done in the past, with keith, o'connor, deeks, leigh, hanlon and mcgregor (probably missed a few as well). It wouldn't bother me where such people originated from - leith has always been multicultural, as demonstrated by our 'origin story'.

Gatecrasher
12-02-2024, 05:12 PM

we've only signed like 3 scottish players in the last 2 years out of about 25 players. It's clear the scottish market isn't a priority for hibs any more. Its sad to see home grown talent being ignored, it will only harm the wider Scottish game in the long run. The bigger picture is being ignored, if all clubs done this the national team would be struggling.

Any good Hibs team I remembered always had a good core Scottish players, even in the Mixu/Latapy/Sauzee years we had good Scottish players playing for us. I'm not against foreigners playing for us if the improve the squad, buts it's difficult to say that about some of the guys in our squad right now.

LewysGot2
12-02-2024, 05:48 PM
Yes. We need another Hanlon and Stevenson so that netters can spend the next 15 years arguing over whether or not they’re good enough to be in the team.

Don't worry there's still Josh Campbell 😉

Donegal Hibby
15-02-2024, 12:39 PM
Besides the cost of buying Scottish players could it be a factor that maybe be some managers don't play young Scottish players as often as they'd like due to the set up of league in that 3 defeats could possibly see you down in the relegation play-offs and the manager under pressure? .

He's here!
15-02-2024, 02:23 PM
we've only signed like 3 scottish players in the last 2 years out of about 25 players. It's clear the scottish market isn't a priority for hibs any more. Its sad to see home grown talent being ignored, it will only harm the wider Scottish game in the long run. The bigger picture is being ignored, if all clubs done this the national team would be struggling.

Any good Hibs team I remembered always had a good core Scottish players, even in the Mixu/Latapy/Sauzee years we had good Scottish players playing for us. I'm not against foreigners playing for us if the improve the squad, buts it's difficult to say that about some of the guys in our squad right now.

Just O'Neil and Smith in the starting line-up for the 6-2 game, although not many Scots would have displaced the terrific array of non-Scots in that team!

Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli.