PDA

View Full Version : John Robertson

Babyshamble
10-02-2024, 09:01 PM
Lot of people losing their **** about him,
Breaking news,... Hearts legend wants hibs to lose . Shocker there eh?
His co commentary was fair, and described the game perfectly. .he is based up north so regularly does open all mics for ict .
Hibs win. People moan. Same old pish on here

CallumLaidlaw
10-02-2024, 09:02 PM
His co commentary was fair, and described the game perfectly. .he is based up north so regularly does open all mics for ict .

And yet the fans that were there said Amos was decent yet Robertson made out he was horrendous, giving the ball away constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
10-02-2024, 09:06 PM
Nah, you’re moaning about people moaning :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2024, 09:14 PM
Naw guy is sound comes from a Hibs supporting family

Spoke up for us at the Usher Hall

Never heard him say a bad word about Hibs tbh

He was too wee to make it at Hibs anyway 😀

Wee pain in the arse

MagicSwirlingShip
10-02-2024, 09:17 PM
He’s also their sporting director is he not?

Hibees1973
10-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Naw guy is sound comes from a Hibs supporting family

Spoke up for us at the Usher Hall

Never heard him say a bad word about Hibs tbh

He was too wee to make it at Hibs anyway 😀

Wee pain in the arse

I'm just pleased he is sitting in the stand with a microphone in his hand instead of still playing.

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 09:22 PM
As a previous poster has already said, I’ve never heard him say a bad word about Hibs.

I don’t mind his banter and his punditry is usually spot on.

His pal Biscuits on the other hand 😷

Hibbyradge
10-02-2024, 09:22 PM
He’s also their sporting director is he not?

I think he is. :agree:

jacomo
10-02-2024, 09:23 PM
Nah, you’re moaning about people moaning :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wait… are you moaning about someone moaning about someone moaning?

:wink:

I’m really not sure this needed another thread… but then I’ve just added to it, so someone will probably have a moan about that.

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2024, 09:26 PM
I'm just pleased he is sitting in the stand with a microphone in his hand instead of still playing.

As someone else posted his laddie is Hibs daft goes home and away and Robbo is Grant Stott’s cousin

Just the way things turned out would have taken him in a heartbeat was a fox in the box

A pain in the arse

Centre Hawf
10-02-2024, 09:56 PM
I think I said in the match day thread that I've always never minded Robbo despite how good he was against us and as big a legend for them he is. Always comes over well and usually speaks about us quite well too. But I think having him on the radio today was a bit grating, it wasn't a huge surprise to see a guy with such strong ICT connections (even worse if he's currently their Sporting Director) will them to win so much. I don't even think it came from a Hearts POV as some would like to think.

That said between Sky, Viaplay, BBC etc the circuit of pundits isn't great and it does end up being a bit of a love in for one side more often than not.

jeffers
10-02-2024, 09:58 PM
Always had a lot of time for Robbo. I’ll never forget when Mercer was trying to kill us off he was at the rally at ER.

Bakerman
10-02-2024, 10:15 PM
It shouldn't be about Robbo though. If we had a hibs man like Tam McManus commentating on the hearts matches, then yes fair enough. However, the bbc scottish football doesn't do hibs voices. Its all Hearts with some Aberdeen thrown in. Most Hibs fans avoid the BBC commentaries, because of it. I think a lot of folk were shocked today by the bias because they don't normally listen to it, and due to a blackout on streams today they had to. I'm not certain, if I'm going to renew my licence fee soon because of the ridiculous bias the BBC has. I'm thinking of cancelling my dd.

Pagan Hibernia
10-02-2024, 10:16 PM

Me too, and the sooner he has shankland up there in the commentary box with him the better

Pagan Hibernia
10-02-2024, 10:18 PM
Always had a lot of time for Robbo. I’ll never forget when Mercer was trying to kill us off he was at the rally at ER.

Same. No problem with him at all (as long as I'm not subjected to watching his highlights from his playing career)

greenlex
11-02-2024, 05:33 AM
I think folk were quite rightly pissed off he was commentating rather than the way he was commentating. It shouldn’t be difficult to have a neutral do it but the bbc Scotland team seem anything but. The only live choice for Hibs fans today that weren't at the game was to listen to the caley love in and not a neutral view. That’s not right.

Carheenlea
11-02-2024, 07:36 AM
We don’t have our own club cheerleader employed by the BBC like many of our competitors do, and those that do have some Hibs connection are often as quick to join in sticking the boot into the club as the usual suspects.

I actually believe that of all the pundits I’ve heard, Allan Preston is the one who despite his Hearts leanings is one who appears to be genuinely interested and enthusiastic about Hibs, which in itself shows you where we are.

Ultimately though, if the likes of Sportsound are getting rattled with something Hibs so then that’s a sign we’re doing something right. Long may that continue.

If you want quality Hibs media, just wait for the post match Hibs Observer content in written form and on YouTube. The standards are miles ahead of anything you’ll hear on BBC Scotland’s amateurish football output.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2024, 08:20 AM
Maybe I'm a just desensitised to it but I thought Robertson was fine yesterday.

Pre match he said earlier in the week he had really thought an upset was on the cards but after our performance against Celtic he thought it was less likely. That's something I heard from loads of Hibs fans.

At HT he said Hibs had been the better side without creating a lot but said Ferguson would be the happier manager as his side were competitive and still in the game. He said Hibs might need a couple of changes to spark something (Monty obviously agreed). He also didn't 'slaughter' Amos. He said he had worked hard and got in a lot of good positions but had given the ball away a few times and made some poor decisions.

At FT he said we were well worthy of the win and the quality of our players was clearly a level above what ICT had, he also said our tempo was better in the 2nd half and that told. Both Duncan Ferguson and Monty said similar in their post match interviews.

McD
11-02-2024, 08:24 AM
I think I said in the match day thread that I've always never minded Robbo despite how good he was against us and as big a legend for them he is. Always comes over well and usually speaks about us quite well too. But I think having him on the radio today was a bit grating, it wasn't a huge surprise to see a guy with such strong ICT connections (even worse if he's currently their Sporting Director) will them to win so much. I don't even think it came from a Hearts POV as some would like to think.

That said between Sky, Viaplay, BBC etc the circuit of pundits isn't great and it does end up being a bit of a love in for one side more often than not.

That’s because sky and viaplay almost exclusively seek out former old firm affiliated people to be pundits. The only exception to that is that they seem to have poached McFadden recently, but he ends up following the old firm centric opinion on there anyway. This is also evident in the matches shown - why bother having an Edinburgh derby on when there *might* be a match at Easter road or tynecastle in 8 months that could be a part of the title being decided. I think there’s been 2 Edinburgh derbies out of the last 7 shown on sky.

The BBC are left to pick from the dregs, which are still heavily OF biased, with the occasional Marvin Bartley or Richard Foster (who still had a short spell at rangers and talks nonsense anyway), or Michael Stewart who since he criticised rangers and was clearly censured, has toed the party line. Sportscene is generally made up of 50% rangers or Celtic, the rest of the matches crammed in. If both OF play on the same day, then it’s about 75% for their 2 matches.

There are fan led podcasts and bloggers who do a far more polished and balanced analysis.

greenlex
11-02-2024, 08:43 AM

Pre match he said earlier in the week he had really thought an upset was on the cards but after our performance against Celtic he thought it was less likely. That's something I heard from loads of Hibs fans.

At HT he said Hibs had been the better side without creating a lot but said Ferguson would be the happier manager as his side were competitive and still in the game. He said Hibs might need a couple of changes to spark something (Monty obviously agreed). He also didn't 'slaughter' Amos. He said he had worked hard and got in a lot of good positions but had given the ball away a few times and made some poor decisions.

At FT he said we were well worthy of the win and the quality of our players was clearly a level above what ICT had, he also said our tempo was better in the 2nd half and that told. Both Duncan Ferguson and Monty said similar in their post match interviews.
Did you miss his “that's unfortunate” comments when we scored? I actually don’t mind him to be honest but having him commentating on our game is wrong. There is no way in hell for example Scott Brown would do a Rangers v Hibs match.

hibee_girl
11-02-2024, 09:03 AM

I agree. I listened to the whole game and really didn’t find any of his comments that bad.

DH1875
11-02-2024, 09:46 AM
Folk complaining he said their goal was the best one. It was lol.
No one ever listened to Marvin Bartley on the TV or radio?

CentreLine
11-02-2024, 09:58 AM
There are fan led podcasts and bloggers who do a far more polished and balanced analysis.

I have to confess I’ve never quite managed to connect to any of these podcasts and blogs. I certainly miss the excellent “This is how it feels” reports on here. I do feel I am missing out. Would you mind posting a couple of links to blogs and podcasts that you’d recommend?

JimBHibees
11-02-2024, 10:07 AM
As a previous poster has already said, I’ve never heard him say a bad word about Hibs.

I don’t mind his banter and his punditry is usually spot on.

His pal Biscuits on the other hand 😷

Heard him say loads of bad things about Hibs. Him and Prestons bias is nauseating and add in fat Brian we really do have to deal with a few tricky biased characters

Bridge hibs
11-02-2024, 10:10 AM
Folk complaining he said their goal was the best one. It was lol.
No one ever listened to Marvin Bartley on the TV or radio?

Yes many times and Marvin Bartley has also been critical of hibs too, of course he holds a strong affection for hibs but overall I think he is fair, as it should be

Victor
11-02-2024, 10:16 AM
Wrong man for the job. The commentator was sufficiently bias, without an extra layer of nonsense. As I have said on other threads, I had no idea what was happening at the match because of the Inverness love in and both voices desperate for an Inverness victory and Hibs humiliation. I would have thought that a commentator’s job was to describe what was happening at the game rather than chat with his co-commentator? Why did they need a second person anyway? The BBC covered games for years with just one voice and in these cash strapped times maybe they should return to that policy.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2024, 10:17 AM
Did you miss his “that's unfortunate” comments when we scored? I actually don’t mind him to be honest but having him commentating on our game is wrong. There is no way in hell for example Scott Brown would do a Rangers v Hibs match.

Wasn't the "that's unfortunate" comment referring to the deflection?

Kato
11-02-2024, 10:49 AM
Wasn't the "that's unfortunate" comment referring to the deflection?Exactly

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Kato
11-02-2024, 12:27 PM
By "exactly" I also mean he could have said "but fortunate for Hibs" or even " it might have been going in anyway".

McD
11-02-2024, 12:32 PM
I have to confess I’ve never quite managed to connect to any of these podcasts and blogs. I certainly miss the excellent “This is how it feels” reports on here. I do feel I am missing out. Would you mind posting a couple of links to blogs and podcasts that you’d recommend?

There are a few out there, some I’ve taken to more than others, although I should also say that’s purely down to personal taste, not that the others are poor.

In my opinion, the podcasts in particular tend to be pretty balanced about Hibs, I’ve certainly not come across any that are overly sycophantic, if anything at times some could be interpreted as a bit harsh (in the same way we can all get hacked off with things when we’re not doing well).

For written content, Hibs Observer has launched in the last several months, and generally gets a good reception across the board - https://www.hibsobserver.co.uk/

For podcasts, I’m not so good at linking them, but I can name some which you can search for using whatever podcast platform you choose to use.

Longbangers is very good - Matty amongst others on here do this one :greengrin
Down the slope is another that’s been on the go a wee while and is good
The Hibs ramble

There are some other I’ve listened to but they’ve not released a new pod for some time.

There was also a Hibs.net podcast, which I always thought was good, but I think I saw PB saying recently it had been shelved (please correct me if I’m wrong anyone 😊)

If anyone has any others the share, please fire away :greengrin

neil7908
11-02-2024, 12:36 PM
I think the problem isn't Robbo per se, more the sheer number of people the BBC have commenting at Hibs games that are former Hearts, Aberdeen, Sevco and Celtic players or managers.

Every game we play it seems that it's Robertson, Willie Miller, Alan Preston, McLaughlin, Boyd, Lennon etc that are covering the game. And generally they do a ***** job in maintaining any semblance of impartiality.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2024, 12:45 PM
There are a few out there, some I’ve taken to more than others, although I should also say that’s purely down to personal taste, not that the others are poor.

In my opinion, the podcasts in particular tend to be pretty balanced about Hibs, I’ve certainly not come across any that are overly sycophantic, if anything at times some could be interpreted as a bit harsh (in the same way we can all get hacked off with things when we’re not doing well).

For written content, Hibs Observer has launched in the last several months, and generally gets a good reception across the board - https://www.hibsobserver.co.uk/

For podcasts, I’m not so good at linking them, but I can name some which you can search for using whatever podcast platform you choose to use.

Longbangers is very good - Matty amongst others on here do this one :greengrin
Down the slope is another that’s been on the go a wee while and is good
The Hibs ramble

There are some other I’ve listened to but they’ve not released a new pod for some time.

There was also a Hibs.net podcast, which I always thought was good, but I think I saw PB saying recently it had been shelved (please correct me if I’m wrong anyone 😊)

If anyone has any others the share, please fire away :greengrin

Yep the .net podcast is no more.

It was something we enjoyed doing and the listening numbers were good for the episodes we put out. The feedback was also generally pretty positive and we were able to get some very good guests on.

It was an idea we first visited during lockdown though and as the world normalised it became clear the time we had to dedicate to it was less than it had initially been. We simply struggled to get episodes out quickly enough and couldn't get as much content out as the other podcasts.

Events overtook us a wee bit and we decided it was best to stick to what we do and let the other podcasts do their thing. There is no shortage of good Hibs content out there and the guys involved in the other podcasts do a great job and are all great guys into the bargain (well the ones I have met are anyway).

Never say never and all that but for now it's on an indefinite hiatus.

Victor
11-02-2024, 01:02 PM
I think the problem isn't Robbo per se, more the sheer number of people the BBC have commenting at Hibs games that are former Hearts, Aberdeen, Sevco and Celtic players or managers.

Every game we play it seems that it's Robertson, Willie Miller, Alan Preston, McLaughlin, Boyd, Lennon etc that are covering the game. And generally they do a ***** job in maintaining any semblance of impartiality.

I agree. I understand that the pundits are ex players, will have played for teams and may be supporters, but that doesn’t mean they should be biased. Example last night during the Rangers v Ayr game. Co- commentators were Michael Stewart and Alan Hutton. Da Silva commits a foul deserving of a yellow card, while already on a yellow. Stewart thinks it worthy of a second card whilst Hutton states there was no contact, then when seeing the replay that shows him kicking his opponent states that the contact was minimum. What is the point of that? In my opinion an ex player should be there to add ‘colour’ i.e tactics, formation insights, not defend the actions of the team he supports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bridge hibs
11-02-2024, 01:08 PM

It was something we enjoyed doing and the listening numbers were good for the episodes we put out. The feedback was also generally pretty positive and we were able to get some very good guests on.

It was an idea we first visited during lockdown though and as the world normalised it became clear the time we had to dedicate to it was less than it had initially been. We simply struggled to get episodes out quickly enough and couldn't get as much content out as the other podcasts.

Events overtook us a wee bit and we decided it was best to stick to what we do and let the other podcasts do their thing. There is no shortage of good Hibs content out there and the guys involved in the other podcasts do a great job and are all great guys into the bargain (well the ones I have met are anyway).

Was there a hibs net radio show many years ago as I seem to recall something about a shack ? Im sure I also remember listening to something broadcast from this forum a few years ago when in the car going to a game or it might have been something else as my memory is going

Im not really an avid listener of podcasts but I do regularly like to catch up with the Longbangers one that gets a mention on here, some good chats and topics, their mental health ones are most def worth a listen

Pretty Boy
11-02-2024, 01:11 PM
Was there a hibs net radio show many years ago as I seem to recall something about a shack ? Im sure I also remember listening to something broadcast from this forum a few years ago when in the car going to a game or it might have been something else as my memory is going

Im not really an avid listener of podcasts but I do regularly like to catch up with the Longbangers one that gets a mention on here, some good chats and topics, their mental health ones are most def worth a listen

Long before my time but there was.

silverhibee
11-02-2024, 01:50 PM
It shouldn't be about Robbo though. If we had a hibs man like Tam McManus commentating on the hearts matches, then yes fair enough. However, the bbc scottish football doesn't do hibs voices. Its all Hearts with some Aberdeen thrown in. Most Hibs fans avoid the BBC commentaries, because of it. I think a lot of folk were shocked today by the bias because they don't normally listen to it, and due to a blackout on streams today they had to. I'm not certain, if I'm going to renew my licence fee soon because of the ridiculous bias the BBC has. I'm thinking of cancelling my dd.

Tam is not a Hibs man..

silverhibee
11-02-2024, 01:52 PM

He also gave Monty some good praise about the changes he made during the game.

McD
11-02-2024, 01:58 PM

Thanks for confirming PB. Sad to hear, but thank you for the effort you and others put in, was always an enjoyable listen :thumbsup:

McD
11-02-2024, 02:03 PM
I agree. I understand that the pundits are ex players, will have played for teams and may be supporters, but that doesn’t mean they should be biased. Example last night during the Rangers v Ayr game. Co- commentators were Michael Stewart and Alan Hutton. Da Silva commits a foul deserving of a yellow card, while already on a yellow. Stewart thinks it worthy of a second card whilst Hutton states there was no contact, then when seeing the replay that shows him kicking his opponent states that the contact was minimum. What is the point of that? In my opinion an ex player should be there to add ‘colour’ i.e tactics, formation insights, not defend the actions of the team he supports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t mind if there was a bit of bias for both sides, but there never/rarely is. It’s almost always pro gers or pro Celtic people on. Sky for a time had Chris commons and kris Boyd, but commons was as dry as stale bread, and Boyd is so rangers focussed it’s untrue, you’d be watching Motherwell against Celtic and when asked for his opinion, would reply that it’s definitely a penalty to rangers!

However, if we had a pundit from both teams, at least we’d hear both sides of it

greenlex
12-02-2024, 11:54 AM
Wasn't the "that's unfortunate" comment referring to the deflection?
I’m sure it was in relation to the second goal rather than the first but do concede it may have been in connection to the defenders mis kick. Either way it was only unfortunate for ICT and reinforces why he shouldn’t be commentating at this game on Saturday. You can bet your last euro he wouldn’t have uttered that phrase had it been at the other end.

Kato
12-02-2024, 12:11 PM
I’m sure it was in relation to the second goal rather than the first but do concede it may have been in connection to the defenders mis kick. Either way it was only unfortunate for ICT and reinforces why he shouldn’t be commentating at this game on Saturday. You can bet your last euro he wouldn’t have uttered that phrase had it been at the other end.He found both the first and second goals unfortunate.

Good.

jacomo
12-02-2024, 01:59 PM
Tam is not a Hibs man..

If we see hoop conspiracies everywhere we turn then no wonder we struggle to find pundits we approve of.

heretoday
13-02-2024, 12:49 PM

Robbo is a fair enough guy. I'd rather listen to him than some of the hype-merchants.

scm70nyd1973
13-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Robbo is a fair enough guy. I'd rather listen to him than some of the hype-merchants.

Me too - I thought he was fine about us - the one I just can’t go is Kenny McIntyre, he has a real irritating voice (he can’t help that) but there is no warmth or humour in it - bugs me to bits ☹️