PDA

View Full Version : Graeme Shinnie

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 09:53 AM
I’ve been an admirer of this guy for many years, he’s not blessed with half the skill a lot of players have but what he lacks in skill he certainly makes up for with his leadership.

I watched the Aberdeen vs Celtic game recently and he was immense, he seemed to be everywhere on the pitch.
Offering assists, last ditch tackles, making runs off the ball to help his team mates.
He maybe in the twilight of his career but he still gets himself about.
An absolute stalwart for Aberdeen.

Which brings me to my point, if we’re going down the losn player route then we need a proper leader in our squad to make sure we don’t have another 2012 scenario.

Bridge hibs
10-02-2024, 10:22 AM
I’ve been an admirer of this guy for many years, he’s not blessed with half the skill a lot of players have but what he lacks in skill he certainly makes up for with his leadership.

I watched the Aberdeen vs Celtic game recently and he was immense, he seemed to be everywhere on the pitch.
Offering assists, last ditch tackles, making runs off the ball to help his team mates.

Which brings me to my point, if we’re going down the losn player route then we need a proper leader in our squad to make sure we don’t have another 2012 scenario.I dont see it in him, yes he tackles but average footballing ability now, if caps were handed out for being a moaning **** calling for opponents to get carded and screaming at refs faces then he would be international class at that

I watched the game against the rangers and he played like he was running about in welly boots

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2024, 10:26 AM
I can’t say ive seen much of him this season, he’s been an excellent player at our level throughout his career though.

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 10:28 AM
I dont see it in him, yes he tackles but average footballing ability now, if caps were handed out for being a moaning **** calling for opponents to get carded and screaming at refs faces then he would be international class at that

I watched the game against the rangers and he played like he was running about in welly boots

He’s a leader, something we very much lack in our team. Agreed, he’s not the greatest footballer in the world but he drives others to do better.

Brightside
10-02-2024, 10:41 AM
Graeme Shinnie is a very poor footballer. Just complaining to refs doesn’t make you a leader.

Trinity Hibee
10-02-2024, 10:41 AM

Which brings me to my point, if we’re going down the losn player route then we need a proper leader in our squad to make sure we don’t have another 2012 scenario.

I agree. He’s technically average or just above average but he has energy, gets stuck in, leads his team. It’s an underrrated quality in the modern game

I’m sure we were looking at him when he was at ICT and Butcher arrived at Hibs

Hibs4185
10-02-2024, 10:51 AM
I hate to say but probably the player and character we are missing.

Watched him against rangers and he was diving, cheating, moaning and all the horrible things but above else he was driving his team forwards with his passion and drive.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-02-2024, 10:58 AM
He could sniff out a Sunday roast on a Wednesday. Boy’s a walloper.

Unseen work
10-02-2024, 11:05 AM
Have alot of Aberdeen supporting mates who think he’s been brutal since his return last January.

I never saw the game against Celtic however if he was good I think that seems rare now a days

Frazerbob
10-02-2024, 11:29 AM
He's a horrible, dirty, greeting faced wee runt. Always in the referee's ear. Reminds me of Steven Naebadges when he was playing for Hearts. Exactly the type of player we've been missing for years.

Bostonhibby
10-02-2024, 11:33 AM
He's a horrible, dirty, greeting faced wee runt. Always in the referee's ear. Reminds me of Steven Naebadges when he was playing for Hearts. Exactly the type of player we've been missing for years.He certainly knows how to manipulate, and navigate his way through the Scottish game. Staggering how he doesn't get far more yellows and reds.

Refs seemed to run scared of him, he is always in their faces and likes a foul.

Anti footballer but has found a niche.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

easty
10-02-2024, 11:41 AM
He’s a leader, something we very much lack in our team. Agreed, he’s not the greatest footballer in the world but he drives others to do better.

If he’s a leader and it’s what they have and we don’t…how come they’re behind us in the league, even though we’ve been terrible and have no wins, and only 2 points, in our last 7 games?

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Who do we have as our leader?

Hanlon? Not a leader for me. Too much of a nice guy.

Newell? He’s got a wand of a left foot and does get stuck in I’ll admit but he’s not a leader.

The reasoning for this post wasn’t just to shine sunshine up GS arse, it was to highlight the fact we are devoid of leaders in our squad and if we are going to be bringing in a raft of loan players we need someone to set them standards.
What we saw against Celtic was fantastic but look at the criticism it took for us to get that response from the players.
I worry we go back to our old ways and with one win in eight games we are bang in trouble if that happens.

We really could do with a major signing that starts the ball rolling, someone who’ll be here for the next few years who’ll set those markers and make sure standards don’t drop.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-02-2024, 11:44 AM

Newell? He’s got a wand of a left foot and does get stuck in I’ll admit but he’s not a leader.

The reasoning for this post wasn’t just to shine sunshine up GS arse, it was to highlight the fact we are devoid of leaders in our squad and if we are going to be bringing in a raft of loan players we need someone to set them standards.
What we saw against Celtic was fantastic but look at the criticism it took for us to get that response from the players.
I worry we go back to our old ways and with one win in eight games we are bang in trouble if that happens.

We really could do with a major signing that starts the ball rolling, someone who’ll be here for the next few years who’ll set those markers and make sure standards don’t drop.

Totally agree with the last paragraph. A statement signing in the summer who sets and drives the standards home day in day out.

Bostonhibby
10-02-2024, 11:53 AM

We really could do with a major signing that starts the ball rolling, someone who’ll be here for the next few years who’ll set those markers and make sure standards don’t drop.I agree with you re our leadership void, have felt that way for a while.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

green day
10-02-2024, 11:57 AM
Shinnie has - according to my Aberdeen mates - barely reached a tackle for 6 months.

Shinnie of 5 or 6 years ago is what we need.

Bakerman
10-02-2024, 12:09 PM
I just want players who are capable of playing football, do the simple things really well, and put their heart and soul into every minute on the pitch. We saw that on Wednesday night, need to maintain that level of performance. Leaders don't have to snarl, and moan their way through games. Guys like big Frank, Matty Jack, John O neill etc often played with a smile and looked as if they enjoyed their time on the pitch. We just need talented players playing well.

Hiber-nation
10-02-2024, 12:36 PM
He's nowhere near the player he was. Canny run.

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 12:52 PM
I just want players who are capable of playing football, do the simple things really well, and put their heart and soul into every minute on the pitch. We saw that on Wednesday night, need to maintain that level of performance. Leaders don't have to snarl, and moan their way through games. Guys like big Frank, Matty Jack, John O neill etc often played with a smile and looked as if they enjoyed their time on the pitch. We just need talented players playing well.

It took a half time fire drill and an absolute lambasting of the manager and players to get that performance against Celtic.
It shouldn’t need to be like that. Before it gets to that point, you need leaders who can motivate the team.
I think we badly need a big signing to build our team and the loan players that are going to inevitably come next season.

Bakerman
10-02-2024, 01:03 PM
It took a half time fire drill and an absolute lambasting of the manager and players to get that performance against Celtic.
It shouldn’t need to be like that. Before it gets to that point, you need leaders who can motivate the team.
I think we badly need a big signing to build our team and the loan players that are going to inevitably come next season.

Every successful team needs players who inspire others to play at their optimum levels. Do we need a Graham Shinnie though? Not really. I agree with your central point though, that there does need to be an overhaul of the team, but that will come in the summer, when some players will move on, and others brought in. I just want to see the spirit and drive that was evident against Celtic until then, with getting a run in the Scottish Cup, and cementing a move into the top six. I think there will be big changes in the summer, that will a crucial period for acquiring the type of players we will need for a successful 24/25 season.

Greensunshine
10-02-2024, 01:09 PM
Every successful team needs players who inspire others to play at their optimum levels. Do we need a Graham Shinnie though? Not really. I agree with your central point though, that there does need to be an overhaul of the team, but that will come in the summer, when some players will move on, and others brought in. I just want to see the spirit and drive that was evident against Celtic until then, with getting a run in the Scottish Cup, and cementing a move into the top six. I think there will be big changes in the summer, that will a crucial period for acquiring the type of players we will need for a successful 24/25 season.

I agree with some of what you say but we can’t just sign a plethora of players next season and hope everything falls into place.
It’s different types we need and what we have sadly been lacking is that leader type of player to build around.
I think we’re one defeat away from our manager being bang in trouble and I think it’s a testament of the weakness of this current squad that will ultimately see him get his jotters.
I hope I’m wrong

Pretty Boy
10-02-2024, 01:22 PM
At his best he was a very good player. 300+ games in the Scottish Premiership, 100+ in the English Championship and half a dozen international caps suggest there is a bit more about him than just shouting and moaning.

Not the player he was though.

Stevie Reid
10-02-2024, 01:30 PM
At his best he was a very good player. 300+ games in the Scottish Premiership, 100+ in the English Championship and half a dozen international caps suggest there is a bit more about him than just shouting and moaning.

Not the player he was though.

All that needs to be said, IMO.

Kato
10-02-2024, 01:44 PM
Watched him against rangers and he was diving, cheating, moaning and all the horrible things

What's the chances a Hibs player gets away with those things? What's the chances a Hibs player is allowed 6-8 fouls in a game before getting booked in the last 10?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Bridge hibs
10-02-2024, 01:49 PM
He wont see much game time when the blue card comes into play, torn faced git

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2024, 02:15 PM
What's the chances a Hibs player gets away with those things? What's the chances a Hibs player is allowed 6-8 fouls in a game before getting booked in the last 10?

z-e-r-o absolute z-e-r-o.

I'd suggest in all my time watching Hibs (since 87) we’ve never had such a player. Have we ever?! Even less likely in this modern era. Liam Craig that went back to St Johnstone just got booked.

KWJ
10-02-2024, 04:42 PM
Heard Willie Miller on the radio today talking about Shinnie's leadership and he said that he's noticed a big drop in the amount of players like this in the modern game and he's right.

Scott Brown was the other obvious one and while MacGregor is a great player and has taken his mantle, he isn't that kind of leader. Miller did go onto say that you can be a great leader just by setting the standards and leading by example and by all accounts that's where someone like Lewis Stevenson would stand out for us.

Moriah-Welsh looks like he could be that sort of guy the way he hares about the pitch popping up everywhere. Newell at times too.

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2024, 04:46 PM
I thought James McPake looked like that guy but was just never fit :confused:

Diclonius
10-02-2024, 04:47 PM
Half of his reputation is based solely on the fact that he seems to be the only non-OF player in the league who is immune to bookings.

jakedance
10-02-2024, 04:52 PM
Whether he’s still any good is besides the point. We need a nasty prick like that in our squad, as well as a battle worn centre half that takes his teeth out before kick off.

PHeffernan
10-02-2024, 05:17 PM
Half of his reputation is based solely on the fact that he seems to be the only non-OF player in the league who is immune to bookings.

The reality is it's just another example of supporter fiction.
Shinnie has had 8 yellow cards this season and had 4 yellows and 2 reds after arriving on the 7th January last season.
That evidences that he is not immune.

Hibeesdaft16
10-02-2024, 05:21 PM
I thought James McPake looked like that guy but was just never fit :confused:

Fraser Fyvie. He was a better Shinnie, ruined by injury.

Kato
10-02-2024, 05:23 PM
Shinnie has had 8 yellow cards this season and had 9 yellows and 2 reds last season.
That evidences that he is not immune.How many fouls per booking?

Bridge hibs
10-02-2024, 05:33 PM
Shinnie has had 8 yellow cards this season and had 4 yellows and 2 reds after arriving on the 7th January last season.

Got booked today too 😀

Saint Hibee
10-02-2024, 06:05 PM

I’ll raise you Liam Craig!

ErinGoBraghHFC
10-02-2024, 06:10 PM

Yep, Fyvie could’ve been a cracking player (and at times, he was), criminal that Hibs have been the pinnacle of his career imo he could’ve had a good crack at it down south if he hadn’t had so many injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHeffernan
10-02-2024, 06:18 PM
How many fouls per booking?

No idea but he ain't all but immune, or anywhere near it, as was suggested.

Jones28
10-02-2024, 07:03 PM
Yep, Fyvie could’ve been a cracking player (and at times, he was), criminal that Hibs have been the pinnacle of his career imo he could’ve had a good crack at it down south if he hadn’t had so many injuries

He had a decent crack down with Wigan, won the FA Cup.

ErinGoBraghHFC
10-02-2024, 10:24 PM
He had a decent crack down with Wigan, won the FA Cup.

That’s true, could’ve went further than Wigan though imo

JimBHibees
11-02-2024, 10:34 AM

How many times should he have been booked?