PDA

View Full Version : If you were in charge of picking our manager who would you (realistically) appoint?

Pages : [1] 2

He's here!
04-02-2024, 03:09 PM
If, as seems likely, Monty isn't long for the Hibs job, I'd like to see Alex Neil succeed him but I don't think we could go wrong with Derek McInnes.

easty
04-02-2024, 03:12 PM
McInnes.

Should have been approached before Montgomery got the job.

Instead of someone proven we went for an absolute gamble. We’ve done the same in January with our approach to improving the defence.

Trinity Hibee
I’ve said before but McInnes is my first choice. Whether that happens or not is another matter.

VoltaireHibs
Steve Robinson. I would have liked him prior to NM, but also felt NM was worth the gamble.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2024, 03:13 PM
McInnes.

Should have been approached before Montgomery got the job.

Instead of someone proven we went for an absolute gamble. We’ve done the same in January with our approach to improving the defence.

This.:agree:

VoltaireHibs
04-02-2024, 03:13 PM
I’ve said before but McInnes is my first choice. Whether that happens or not is nothing matter.

I think with Robinson you get what McInnes basically offers but a bit more style. Wouldn't be upset by McInnes though. We desperately need to steady the ship.

HendoDelivered
04-02-2024, 03:16 PM
Probably McInnes. Mental because I’ve never been keen on him up until we were last looking for a new manager - it just makes sense atm.

He won’t touch us though, so it wont be happening.

Hibiza
04-02-2024, 03:17 PM
Robinson.

Bridge hibs
04-02-2024, 03:18 PM
Tony Mowbray

The Modfather
04-02-2024, 03:18 PM
Someone who knows the league, has a track record of finishing 3rd, has got his team to cup finals…. step forward Robbie Nelson :devil:

NC1875
04-02-2024, 03:20 PM
McInnes but I’m not sure he’d take the job now to be honest

Next I’d look at Robinson or Alex Neil.

Smartie
04-02-2024, 03:21 PM
The "realistically" part makes this really difficult.

We're rapidly becoming a managerial graveyard and any self-respecting manager with ability will be a bit concerned about taking a sip from the "get third whilst babysitting a bunch of transient youngsters" chalice, even if Foley money does sound attractive.

Libby Hibby
04-02-2024, 03:25 PM
McInnes

Torto7
04-02-2024, 03:26 PM
I'm in two minds with this. There's a lot of upheaval already at Hibs is it really all down to the manager the struggle for form and cohesion? Pocchetino is struggling at Chelsea and they've went through some turnover in players as well.

I'm willing to bite my lip and give him longer despite having doubts about the style he thinks he can implement.

If they punt him I'd let SDG have it.

h185forever
04-02-2024, 03:29 PM
Lennon till the end of the season …. if he’d take it….with a longer contract dangled for improving the current squad.

I appreciate he has baggage but we need someone who stands a chance of motivating/scaring/toughening the current squad.

ScottB
04-02-2024, 03:34 PM
On paper, some of the choices in recent years have made sense, and aren’t too dissimilar from what some of our rivals have also done;

Jack Ross - experienced in Scotland and down south, where perhaps things didn’t work out as he hoped, came back to Scotland to rebuild reputation, which is a tale as old as time, McInnes, Clarke etc.

Shaun Maloney - well thought of international coach, ex international, rookie. On paper he sounded a better bet than Robson or Naismith.

Lee Johnson - have to say I wouldn’t have ever picked him, but I guess on paper looked an experienced, safe pair of hands.

Nick Montgomery - won silverware in Oz on a tight budget and pushing youth players, I certainly thought he sounded exciting.

Any one of those routes, on paper, sound fine, and have worked out, either for other clubs, or even for us. But when you line them up like that, it’s clear the club have no idea what it wants, and is kind of rolling the dice or overreacting; the guy with experience in Scotland didn’t work, so let’s gets an exciting rookie, oh that didn’t work, so bring in a journeyman with loads of experience, ah damn, well the last guy had been sacked a lot so let’s find a winner!

It also says that while these ideas sound alright on paper, they don’t know how to judge the candidate, or prepare them for success. We appointed Maloney, mid season, and either tasked him with / let him try and change systems with an already limited squad, he was doomed from the start. Montgomery has come in, apparently, totally committed to a formation and tactics that, at best, this squad can’t cope with. We’ve created scenarios where these guys aren’t going to succeed. Meanwhile we all laughed at Aberdeen and Hearts appointing Robson and Naismith respectively, and even though one of them has just been sacked, they’ve both done better than any recent Hibs appointment, and presumably that’s largely down to the environment, planning and attitudes at both clubs rather than either of them being markedly better managers.

In short, everyone at the club with responsibility for running the football operation needs to be removed, perhaps the Black Knight guys can send / recommend someone who can be a proper Director of Football etc, that can then fully review coaching, scouting, recruitment, everything and start again. I’d leave SDG in charge for the rest of the season, then make way for whoever that process would then identity.

Nicho87
04-02-2024, 03:34 PM
Derek McInnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more records of developing young players in other leagues etc

Just a solid experienced spfl proven manager

ScottB
04-02-2024, 03:37 PM
I’d also think that, given Black Knight have invested in us specifically as another option for the development of players throughout their group, you can probably rule out any manager that isn’t well known for developing players or blooding youth.

Donegal Hibby
04-02-2024, 03:40 PM
Tony Mowbray

If only ,proper manager who's teams play good football ( no hoof ball )

Nicho87
04-02-2024, 03:43 PM
I’d also think that, given Black Knight have invested in us specifically as another option for the development of players throughout their group, you can probably rule out any manager that isn’t well known for developing players or blooding youth.

Get the point

However

If said manager doesn’t / can’t finish high up in the European slots which is foleys number 1 aim for the project / plan / investment to work, it’s almost irrelevant

LunasBoots
04-02-2024, 03:45 PM
McIness.

No more experiments trying to play the mythical 'Hibs way', plain and simple football with a result at the end.

Sparrows tongue
04-02-2024, 03:46 PM
Lennon, in the short term.

Then, have a look at how he did with a view to a longer stay.

allmodcons
04-02-2024, 03:49 PM
Stephen Robinson or Derek McInnes.

Someone with a good knowledge of our league, who knows how to set up a team would be a help.

Our last few appointments including the current clown have been shocking.

Our board love rookies.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2024, 03:50 PM
McIness.

If we went for another punt I wouldn't be against Rhys McCabe either but not really the right time for that I don't think.

scm70nyd1973
04-02-2024, 03:52 PM
Derek McInnes

No more experiments
No more projects

Yup -it has come to this.

At first my thoughts were that he’d refuse it anyway - but with us being so low and decent money being available then he might think that he could become an absolute legend at ER

Who knows ☹️

shetlandhibee
04-02-2024, 03:52 PM
Lennon till the end of the season …. if he’d take it….with a longer contract dangled for improving the current squad.

I appreciate he has baggage but we need someone who stands a chance of motivating/scaring/toughening the current squad.:top marks:agree:

bingo70
04-02-2024, 03:56 PM
Leaning towards McInnes because if we don’t, all we will hear forever more is we should have appointed McInnes.

He doesn’t get the juices flowing for me but I can see the attraction.

In terms of my actual preference, I’ve really no idea. I wanted Graham Arnold or Montgomery last time.

I still love the idea of a mental chain smoking South American that wears sun glasses all year round, I don’t have any names though.

Gatecrasher
04-02-2024, 03:57 PM
Experienced managers (safer pair of hands)
McInnes
Robinson
Mowbray

Inexperienced (could be worth a shot)
Ian Murray
David Gray

Scotty Leither
04-02-2024, 04:00 PM
McInnes. Should have got the gig 2 appointments ago but Kensell’s ego got in the way and we ended up with Maloney.

I think he’d like to manage us too, but there appears to be too many voices off at Easter Road that might stop a resolute character like him taking it over.

Total farcical state of affairs which is all on the Board.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2024, 04:00 PM
McInnes was available, and had a point to prove, when we sacked Ross. Not appointing him then has cost us a lot, IMO.

Would be my first choice now too, but I don’t think that we’ll go that way. Even if we did, I don’t think we’d match what Killie would want in compensation, and he doesn’t seem the type to resign in those circumstances.

ScottB
04-02-2024, 04:04 PM
Get the point

However

If said manager doesn’t / can’t finish high up in the European slots which is foleys number 1 aim for the project / plan / investment to work, it’s almost irrelevant

I’m not convinced us being in Europe matters one way or the other to Foley, maybe as a happy outcome of us having a better squad of young prospects I guess, but not as the number 1 goal; I can’t see him making money available to sign a bunch of 28 - 30 year old starters, for example, as while they’d be good for us, they’d be irrelevant for the group.

Also wonder if they’ll look to do what the City Group do with coaches and have them move around the clubs? Might be worth looking at the assistants or youth managers at Bournemouth or Lorient…

VoltaireHibs
04-02-2024, 04:08 PM
I’m not convinced us being in Europe matters one way or the other to Foley, maybe as a happy outcome of us having a better squad of young prospects I guess, but not as the number 1 goal; I can’t see him making money available to sign a bunch of 28 - 30 year old starters, for example, as while they’d be good for us, they’d be irrelevant for the group.

Also wonder if they’ll look to do what the City Group do with coaches and have them move around the clubs? Might be worth looking at the assistants or youth managers at Bournemouth or Lorient…

That's maybe true but Hibs still have money, we can still buy those players, and Foley's picks can supplement that.

Irish_Steve
04-02-2024, 04:08 PM
I get the whole McInnes chat but who’s to say he wasn’t approached before and just turned us down??

wookie70
04-02-2024, 04:10 PM
I would have chose McInnes every time since he left the Dons and Robinson wouldn't be far behind. They rarely preside over teams that are a shambles and lack fight. If we end up with an organised, hard working team with our budget top six is a given and we won't be far away from 3rd every season. Pretty much what McInnes does and Robinson has shown he is capable of. The last 3 appointments have been ridiculous imo as have many of teh signings we have made. No idea how fans get excited over a foreign sounding name as the success rate for players coming into Scotland is pretty low. Plenty decent players to be had and it is no surprise the likes of the McGinns, Nisbet, Fyvie etc etc were a success as they all had a pedigree. Most of them were cheaper than the duds we have signed since.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2024, 04:10 PM
I get the whole McInnes chat but who’s to say he wasn’t approached before and just turned us down??

We can’t know for sure, but I think we would have heard rumours at least.

I’d also be amazed if he turned us down after leaving Aberdeen.

May21/05/16
04-02-2024, 04:14 PM
How about supporting the management team we have just now

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

J-C
04-02-2024, 04:15 PM
I too wanted McInnes or Robinson, both know the league and have done very well with their limited budgets, seem to know how to set up a team and play well against the top 2-4 teams.

bingo70
04-02-2024, 04:15 PM

If we were to offer him the job tomorrow I’d be very surprised of he’d want it.

He turned Rangers down when he was happy at Aberdeen and I wouldn’t have thought we would look like a particularly appealing option for him just now.

I think he’s someone that people will just need to get over at some point.

Zazu62
04-02-2024, 04:16 PM
Mcinnes

1875M
04-02-2024, 04:19 PM
Robinson for me. Pretty impressive what he’s done at St Mirren, his teams are hard to play against but also play decent stuff. Think he deserves a chance at a bigger club.

VoltaireHibs
04-02-2024, 04:19 PM

He turned Rangers down when he was happy at Aberdeen and I wouldn’t have thought we would look like a particularly appealing option for him just now.

I suspect the lack of clarity at Hibs would put him off. Who's making what decisions etc. He's too grey in the beard to fall for sales chat.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2024, 04:20 PM
Alex Neil I would like as well.

bingo70
04-02-2024, 04:21 PM
I suspect the lack of clarity at Hibs would put him off. Who's making what decisions etc. He's too grey in the beard to fall for sales chat.

Aye, I agree.

That’s not to say we couldn’t appoint a brilliant manager from elsewhere, I just don’t think he would see us as a good fit for him just now.

easty
04-02-2024, 04:22 PM

If he doesn’t want it then that’s his choice, but I’d definitely be offering him it to see what he decided.

Hibees1973
04-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Stephen Robinson or Derek McInnes.

Someone with a good knowledge of our league, who knows how to set up a team would be a help.

Our last few appointments including the current clown have been shocking.

Our board love rookies.

Agree with this.

The board & Kensell need to uncomplicate things and make a sensible choice based on the facts and evidence that is immediately around them.

I have a feeling though that Robinson & McInnes would have serious doubts of our recruitment strategy/structure and would ask for things which The Gordons & Kensell would not permit. if Montgomery goes that would mean looking for our fifth manager in little more than three years.

What a complete and utter shambles The Gordons and Kensell have made of things.

DH1875
04-02-2024, 04:32 PM
If McInnes had a season like he had last season as Hibs manager then he would have been sacked at the end of last season and wouldn't have been given the time to have a season like he's having this season.

bingo70
04-02-2024, 04:33 PM
If he doesn’t want it then that’s his choice, but I’d definitely be offering him it to see what he decided.

I 100% get where you’re coming from and can completely see the appeal behind McInnes. I do wonder though, would McInnes be a good fit for our current structure and ownership model we have?

It’s important our next manager is a good fit for us as a club just now too. I think the type of manager that replaces Montgomery, whenever that is, will probably be someone who’s fully behind the multi club structure and all that goes with it. I know lots of people won’t like that but imo we’re not just getting given £6m+ for nothing.

Hibernia&Alba
04-02-2024, 04:34 PM
I wouldn’t have an issue with offering the job to McInnes. His teams mightn’t be the most entertaining, but they are well drilled and organised. He can get results, and right now that’s what we need. He knows the SPL as well as anybody in the game. Lots of positives overall.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2024, 04:36 PM
If McInnes had a season like he had last season as Hibs manager then he would have been sacked at the end of last season and wouldn't have been given the time to have a season like he's having this season.

It’s not a like for like comparison though. Killie were newly promoted, and would be delighted with where they finished last year.

easty
04-02-2024, 04:40 PM
I 100% get where you’re coming from and can completely see the appeal behind McInnes. I do wonder though, would McInnes be a good fit for our current structure and ownership model we have?

It’s important our next manager is a good fit for us as a club just now too. I think the type of manager that replaces Montgomery, whenever that is, will probably be someone who’s fully behind the multi club structure and all that goes with it. I know lots of people won’t like that but imo we’re not just getting given £6m+ for nothing.

I think you’re over complicating it.

If we bring in Mcinnes then we are bringing in a manager who has proven he can be a success in this league. Repeatedly.

Take it back to its simplest form. Get a manager who wins.

easty
04-02-2024, 04:41 PM
It’s not a like for like comparison though. Killie were newly promoted, and would be delighted with where they finished last year.

Newly promoted and a side who don’t expect to be finishing in the top 6 based on their budget.

McInnes last season with Killie was not a poor season for Killie.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2024, 04:43 PM

Yep. A season like they had last year from the starting point they had would be the equivalent of us finishing about were we did last season from the starting point we had and that was enough to get Johnson another window. If Johnson had us having an equivalent season to what McIness is having at Killie this year that would have meant progression again and us sitting clear in 3rd. It's oranges and apples in terms of budget, targets and expectations.

McIness was brought in at Killie to get them up which he did. Last year was about consolidation and they stayed up comfortably in the end and people posting a league table after 32 games proves nothing otherwise, the season doesn't end after 32 games and results against comparable sides after the split saw them win 3 from 5 and stay up with a healthy cushion. This year European football looks a real possibility and they have a couple of wins against the OF as well, games we all but right off before a ball is kicked these days.

bingo70
04-02-2024, 04:44 PM
I think you’re over complicating it.

If we bring in Mcinnes then we are bringing in a manager who has proven he can be a success in this league. Repeatedly.

Take it back to its simplest form. Get a manager who wins.

I think you’re over simplifying it.

There’s no dangers McInnes would come to us for the reasons mentioned.

LunasBoots
04-02-2024, 04:47 PM
How about supporting the management team we have just now

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Many have tried that, most have had enough.

glenberviehibee
04-02-2024, 04:48 PM
Robinson

Hibiza
04-02-2024, 04:50 PM
Agree with this.

The board & Kensell need to uncomplicate things and make a sensible choice based on the facts and evidence that is immediately around them.

I have a feeling though that Robinson & McInnes would have serious doubts of our recruitment strategy/structure and would ask for things which The Gordons & Kensell would not permit. if Montgomery goes that would mean looking for our fifth manager in little more than three years.

What a complete and utter shambles The Gordons and Kensell have made of things.

Keep Kensell out of any manager picks please.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2024, 04:51 PM
I'll add I saw a post on an Aberdeen page on Facebook the other day that lists former players and managers (I saw it because my Aberdeen supporting mate commented). It was a picture of McInnes and a list of his achievements.

I excepted the comments to be fairly negative given what some on here say about their perception of Aberdeen's fans views on him. That vast majority were 'didn't know what we had until it was gone', 'best manager since Fergie' and 'I hope those who hounded him out are happy'. I have a few Aberdeen supporting mates and whilst they did feel it had gone stale for his final year, they pretty much unanimously agree getting shot of him was a mistake.

Maybe that is because like us they have made 3 disastrous appointments since and is the same reason with hindsight us getting rid of Ross looks a bad decision.

easty
04-02-2024, 04:58 PM
I think you’re over simplifying it.

There’s no dangers McInnes would come to us for the reasons mentioned.

Why wouldn’t he come into this set up? What wouldn’t he be allowed to do that’s so important to him, and how does anyone know?

leith lynx
04-02-2024, 04:59 PM
I've always wanted Michael O'Neill to have a crack at it, think he would be a good fit, or depending on ambition and amount of investment coming our way, how about Steve Cooper?(available).

JammyDoidger
04-02-2024, 05:01 PM
Derek Mciness, I love Neil Lennon but Mciness would be the obvious sensible option, he was before Monty and even more so now we need an experienced manager to steady the ship. He's as safe as we can get.

jakedance
04-02-2024, 05:04 PM
Something you can say about Robinson or McInnes teams is that they’re well organised, fit and have a few players that can get stuck in and win battles. By being well drilled and competitive in this league teams can be greater than the sum of its parts. These are all qualities you could rarely apply to any Hibs team in the 30 odd years I’ve been supporting them.

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2024, 05:07 PM
On paper, some of the choices in recent years have made sense, and aren’t too dissimilar from what some of our rivals have also done;

Jack Ross - experienced in Scotland and down south, where perhaps things didn’t work out as he hoped, came back to Scotland to rebuild reputation, which is a tale as old as time, McInnes, Clarke etc.

Shaun Maloney - well thought of international coach, ex international, rookie. On paper he sounded a better bet than Robson or Naismith.

Lee Johnson - have to say I wouldn’t have ever picked him, but I guess on paper looked an experienced, safe pair of hands.

Nick Montgomery - won silverware in Oz on a tight budget and pushing youth players, I certainly thought he sounded exciting.

Any one of those routes, on paper, sound fine, and have worked out, either for other clubs, or even for us. But when you line them up like that, it’s clear the club have no idea what it wants, and is kind of rolling the dice or overreacting; the guy with experience in Scotland didn’t work, so let’s gets an exciting rookie, oh that didn’t work, so bring in a journeyman with loads of experience, ah damn, well the last guy had been sacked a lot so let’s find a winner!

It also says that while these ideas sound alright on paper, they don’t know how to judge the candidate, or prepare them for success. We appointed Maloney, mid season, and either tasked him with / let him try and change systems with an already limited squad, he was doomed from the start. Montgomery has come in, apparently, totally committed to a formation and tactics that, at best, this squad can’t cope with. We’ve created scenarios where these guys aren’t going to succeed. Meanwhile we all laughed at Aberdeen and Hearts appointing Robson and Naismith respectively, and even though one of them has just been sacked, they’ve both done better than any recent Hibs appointment, and presumably that’s largely down to the environment, planning and attitudes at both clubs rather than either of them being markedly better managers.

In short, everyone at the club with responsibility for running the football operation needs to be removed, perhaps the Black Knight guys can send / recommend someone who can be a proper Director of Football etc, that can then fully review coaching, scouting, recruitment, everything and start again. I’d leave SDG in charge for the rest of the season, then make way for whoever that process would then identity.

Great post that contextualises our mess. We really have tried (with limited success and a lot of failure) a range of different approaches. I think the board really does have to take that step back before just going for another metaphorical safe pair of hands/exciting gamble etc appointment again.

Victor
04-02-2024, 05:08 PM
Don’t know, but none of the ones mentioned so far. A manager coming in now would have to start again and we cannot afford to do that at this time. For that reason I think we would be better sticking with what we have and only move to replace when it becomes obvious that things aren’t going to get better. I would be very surprised if we don’t pick up points once we get the Celtic game out of the way.

He's here!
04-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Don’t know, but none of the ones mentioned so far. A manager coming in now would have to start again and we cannot afford to do that at this time. For that reason I think we would be better sticking with what we have and only move to replace when it becomes obvious that things aren’t going to get better. I would be very surprised if we don’t pick up points once we get the Celtic game out of the way.

On what evidence?

Greensunshine
04-02-2024, 05:22 PM
Got to be Lennon for me.

Jones28
04-02-2024, 05:22 PM
The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

I’m not saying I particularly want Keane, but I’m Keane-curious.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

I just want Hibs to be exciting again.

Pedantic_Hibee
04-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Every manager, you’d expect, would have a team that is aggressive, works hard and is up for it. I’d imagine that’s a minimum. I’m certain our previous managers including the current one will have said so during their interview/first press conference that that’s what we can expect.

So why have they all failed? Were they liars? Or do we have a club culture/mentality that perennially sees us being soft as ****?

Victor
04-02-2024, 05:31 PM
On what evidence?

Belief. Something all supporters need to have. I know we have good players and I believe that the Coaching staff know what we should be doing. I was at the match yesterday and saw our main problems, in the first half, were two players (replaced at halftime) who were inept and the fact we were forced to play a youngster at right back. What good will replacing the manager do? We won’t have an instant replacement so we will lose not only the manager, but his assistant also, leaving DG in charge for, who knows how long? Let’s see what happens after the Celtic match before pressing the reset button again. Just imagine what would happen if we beat Celtic on Wednesday.

Since452
04-02-2024, 05:33 PM
Robinson was my choice when LJ was emptied so I'll stand by that. Wouldn't say no to McInnes either.

Smartie
04-02-2024, 05:40 PM
Belief. Something all supporters need to have. I know we have good players and I believe that the Coaching staff know what we should be doing. I was at the match yesterday and saw our main problems, in the first half, were two players (replaced at halftime) who were inept and the fact we were forced to play a youngster at right back. What good will replacing the manager do? We won’t have an instant replacement so we will lose not only the manager, but his assistant also, leaving DG in charge for, who knows how long? Let’s see what happens after the Celtic match before pressing the reset button again. Just imagine what would happen if we beat Celtic on Wednesday.

I think you make some fair points tbh.

We struggled down our right side - we had a (?) 4th choice RB playing who has just turned 17. We WILL get players back from injury and international duty and that should improve us.

Also, many of us have moaned about the centre of midfield for years. We’ve signed central midfielders, neither of whom were fit to start yesterday. There’s a chance that they’ll be an improvement on the horror show pairing who have been mince for months. Just not having to carry Dylan Levitt will improve our team beyond recognition imo.

Hanlon and Rocky - whilst neither is perfect - would be an upgrade on yesterday’s centre halves.

A new man coming in will probably look at Levitt’s cv, think a Wales international who was at Man Utd until fairly recently would be a player to build a team around and find out to his cost that he really isn’t after a few games. At least Monty should (!!!!!!!!) be closer to making these realisations than anyone else will be.

Donegal Hibby
04-02-2024, 05:48 PM
The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

No disrespect mate though of all the names mentioned if you wanted Hibs to press the ultimate self destruction button Roy Keane is the perfect choice.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane

The Green Goblin
04-02-2024, 05:51 PM

Really good post - hard to see how any change is going to result in anything other than the same calamities we have seen over the past years, however I wonder if some more serious money comes into the club with Foley that we see a name from a much higher level step in as a result or a manager who might not have considered coming here tempted by an irresistable financial incentive? I don´t know really - that´s the most optimistic thought I can muster...

Just_Jimmy
04-02-2024, 05:54 PM
Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary
Tell him he's got 5 years and write into it that he won't be sacked bar relegation. Let him build something with some time.

We've got a bit cash, flex it in the right way. Get a manager who knows what he's doing up here and who can spot a player.

Stop pissing about.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edinburgh Green
04-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Tbh I just want a manager who plays a system that line up with the strengths of the players we’ve got.

eastmainsmsh
04-02-2024, 06:12 PM
Neil Lennon a winner who wouldn’t tolerate slackers what happened in past is gone clean slate would get him in now

Hiber-nation
04-02-2024, 06:14 PM
Punt Monty, SDG in for the rest of the season then tempt Steve Clarke away after our failed Euro campaign.

Diclonius
04-02-2024, 06:31 PM
Derek.

McInnes.

NOW

skyehibee
04-02-2024, 06:33 PM
McInnes if he says no then Lennon till end of the season

Scotty Leither
04-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary
Tell him he's got 5 years and write into it that he won't be sacked bar relegation. Let him build something with some time.

We've got a bit cash, flex it in the right way. Get a manager who knows what he's doing up here and who can spot a player.

Stop pissing about.

This in spades.

Since90+2
04-02-2024, 06:50 PM
McInnes was available, and had a point to prove, when we sacked Ross. Not appointing him then has cost us a lot, IMO.

Would be my first choice now too, but I don’t think that we’ll go that way. Even if we did, I don’t think we’d match what Killie would want in compensation, and he doesn’t seem the type to resign in those circumstances.

Compensation wouldn't be the barrier IMO. Probably talking a few hundred grand at most and that wouldn't preclude a move for him.

Paul1642
04-02-2024, 07:05 PM
I’m still not done with Montgomery and would give him the season. Should he finish the season as things are going then we should be tapping into the Bournemouth link up.

Iraola doesn’t look like he will be leaving any time soon so Foley should be offering someone they have their eye on the Hibs job on the promise that if he’s doing well he gets the Bournemouth job when the time comes.

The downside of this is we may loose a good manger earlier than expected (not to mention the usual no guarantee of success) but the upside is we could potentially bring in a manger an EPL team is ready to take a punt on.

Rob
04-02-2024, 07:12 PM
McInnes for me is a no brainer and should have been here already. We've messed around too much with managers who are untried and untested in the SPL. McInnes did a great job at Aberdeen over many seasons and now has Killie punching above their weight. We cannot afford to take any more risks when making our next managerial appointment.

easty
04-02-2024, 07:22 PM
I’m still not done with Montgomery and would give him the season. Should he finish the season as things are going then we should be tapping into the Bournemouth link up.

Iraola doesn’t look like he will be leaving any time soon so Foley should be offering someone they have their eye on the Hibs job on the promise that if he’s doing well he gets the Bournemouth job when the time comes.

The downside of this is we may loose a good manger earlier than expected (not to mention the usual no guarantee of success) but the upside is we could potentially bring in a manger an EPL team is ready to take a punt on.

I cannae see that happening, but the only way Bournemouth would be taking a manager from Hibs is if he was doing an outstanding job up here, so it’d be great for us!

IberianHibernian
04-02-2024, 07:23 PM
Many seem to assume McInnes would jump at chance of managing Hibs or Lennon would be available while with a chance of being Ireland manager .
Before paying compensation for McInnes , Robinson etc I`d be looking at other options like :
1. Sticking with NM and seeing how things work out after signing half a dozen players in last week or so . Seems to have a good team of assistants too .
2. Brian McD if he was interested in being manager for a few weeks / months . He`s got a better managerial record than the others mentioned so far .
3. Mixture of folk already at club till end of the season - DG , Darren McG , Gareth Evans ,.....even Lewis S and Hanlon .
4. Other options , mainly thinking of next season - Stephen Kenny ?
For next season , will obviously depend on which league we`re in , but there are a lot of options and any candidates will obviously want to know what situation is regarding decisionmaking , signings etc .

IberianHibernian
04-02-2024, 07:39 PM
Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary

Stop pissing about.

Sent from my SM-G991B using TapatalkBuild what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .

hibsforeurope
04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
We can’t gamble this time, the next appointment has to be right. They need to stop trying to pluck folk from obscurity and go with someone who is proven in the league and has a good track record behind them.
Has to be Mcinnes or Lennon both have great records in the league and shouldn’t be unrealistic targets.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2024, 07:49 PM
Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .

Why would crowds fall? If we are finishing 3rd and in Europe then I don't get why that would happen, our crowds have remained consistent through the last 2 or 3 years of dross on the park.

Worth noting Aberdeen's average attendance the season before McInnes was appointed was 9615. The no lockdown seasons under his watch were 12394, 13359, 13084, 12640, 15775, 14924 and 13796. The notion McIness drives fans away doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 07:53 PM
Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .

If McInnes finished third a couple of times he would be the only Hibs manager to have done so since Eddie Turnbull. Yet that still wouldn't be good enough for you because you've decided his football is dull?

If McInnes done that we would likely be playing group stage football several times. There's no danger crowds would be down.

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 07:56 PM
No disrespect mate though of all the names mentioned if you wanted Hibs to press the ultimate self destruction button Roy Keane is the perfect choice.

We've hit the self destruct button with our last three managers. That ship has sailed. At least he would be box office.

Trinity Hibee
04-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Many seem to assume McInnes would jump at chance of managing Hibs or Lennon would be available while with a chance of being Ireland manager .
Before paying compensation for McInnes , Robinson etc I`d be looking at other options like :
1. Sticking with NM and seeing how things work out after signing half a dozen players in last week or so . Seems to have a good team of assistants too .
2. Brian McD if he was interested in being manager for a few weeks / months . He`s got a better managerial record than the others mentioned so far .
3. Mixture of folk already at club till end of the season - DG , Darren McG , Gareth Evans ,.....even Lewis S and Hanlon .
For next season , will obviously depend on which league we`re in , but there are a lot of options and any candidates will obviously want to know what situation is regarding decisionmaking , signings etc .

These suggestions are absolutely bonkers

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-02-2024, 08:02 PM

Stephen Kenny gave me a laugh, faither in law doesn’t allow his name to be uttered in his house, that’s how ***** he was as Ireland manager. Utterly brutal. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torto7
04-02-2024, 08:03 PM
Punt Monty, SDG in for the rest of the season then tempt Steve Clarke away after our failed Euro campaign.

There's a dour Scotsman. :greengrin

Torto7
04-02-2024, 08:04 PM
Stephen Kenny gave me a laugh, faither in law doesn’t allow his name to be uttered in his house, that’s how ***** he was as Ireland manager. Utterly brutal. No thanks.

He also plays really boring football although tbf Ireland were pretty gash players wise during his tenure.

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 08:07 PM

He also plays really boring football although tbf Ireland were pretty gash players wise during his tenure.

Dismissing Derek McInnes because the football would be too dull then suggesting Stephen Kenny as an ideal man for the job is a wild wild take.

Willis1875
04-02-2024, 08:10 PM

Jesus!!!
It’s bad but it’s not Stephen Kenny level bad

IberianHibernian
04-02-2024, 08:16 PM
Why would crowds fall? If we are finishing 3rd and in Europe then I don't get why that would happen, our crowds have remained consistent through the last 2 or 3 years of dross on the park.

Worth noting Aberdeen's average attendance the season before McInnes was appointed was 9615. The no lockdown seasons under his watch were 12394, 13359, 13084, 12640, 15775, 14924 and 13796. The notion McIness drives fans away doesn't stand up to scrutiny.Interesting statistics . Can`t remember what Aberdeen`s situation was like before McInnes took over . Lots of factors affect crowds - Hibs and Hearts have had great home crowds in recent years despite struggling teams at times cause of a rising , prosperous population just as Aberdeen and Dundee United did well in 70s and 80s during North Sea oil boom ( not saying it was the only reason but was a factor ) . Nowadays so many fans have season tickets that statistics don`t change much ( folk are fed up so don`t go to matches if not interested but that doesn`t affect announced crowds ) unless there´s a massive fall / rise in season ticket numbers .

darwenhibby
04-02-2024, 08:24 PM
The boy at Blackburn JDT is very unsettled there.
I know he turned us down before but could he be an option??
He has apparently offered to walk

Hibby Bairn
04-02-2024, 08:28 PM
Compensation wouldn't be the barrier IMO. Probably talking a few hundred grand at most and that wouldn't preclude a move for him.

We'd be net £££ up if we don't got to Dubai next winter.

scm70nyd1973
04-02-2024, 08:29 PM

Sorry but the Stephen Kenny one is beyond bonkers

joebakerforever
04-02-2024, 08:33 PM
We really have to stop sacking managers just because of a current run of poor performances, especially as Montgomery only arrived five months ago!

I really hope Hibs ignore the "expert internet-know-alls" who, have NO knowledge & experience of either managing or playing at SPFL level.

Constantly demanding the manager's head when we run into a rough patch has shown the folly of this lemming-like approach since we ditched Jack Ross.

Some on here should remember the club motto is PERSEVERE not PANIC.

However, whenever the time comes to change manager, hope we go for someone with SPFL experience, not another promising/glitzy newcomer who has no practical experience of the Scottish game.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2024, 08:38 PM
Probably McInnes. Mental because I’ve never been keen on him up until we were last looking for a new manager - it just makes sense atm.

He won’t touch us though, so it wont be happening.

Good - for those supporting MacInnes - speak with the Dons fans. and if you were not a fan of Jack Ross just wait til Del has the reigns. If he does come he’ll have my support but I expect these words to stand the test of time should his appointment come to pass.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2024, 08:42 PM
We really have to stop sacking managers just because of a current run of poor performances, especially as Montgomery only arrived five months ago!

I really hope Hibs ignore the "expert internet-know-alls" who, have NO knowledge & experience of either managing or playing at SPFL level.

Constantly demanding the manager's head when we run into a rough patch has shown the folly of this lemming-like approach since we ditched Jack Ross.

However, whenever the time comes to change manager, hope we go for someone with SPFL experience, not another promising/glitzy newcomer who has no practical experience of the Scottish game.

For basketcase club see Aberdeen.
Let’s not turn into them - this revolving door has been horrendous but they appointed some real duds. Incredible they never got relegated (poor Falkirk and reconstruction iirc).

They turned on Alex Smith we took them to a bawshair of the title. Then went into free fall with their impatience.

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-02-2024, 08:43 PM

Do you know, for an absolute fact, that none of us have experience of playing or managing at spfl level?

Pretty Boy
04-02-2024, 08:43 PM
Good - for those supporting MacInnes - speak with the Dons fans. and if you were not a fan of Jack Ross just wait til Del has the reigns. If he does come he’ll have my support but I expect these words to stand the test of time should his appointment come to pass.

I reckon I know more Aberdeen fans than most on here and the majority of those hold him in exceptionally high regard and blame Cormack for the decline in performance towards the end of his time there rather than DM himself.

Even the couple who aren't keen on him admit they have got infinitely worse both in terms of results and performances since he moved on.

He's here!
04-02-2024, 08:56 PM

You mean in the relegation play-off?

Nicho87
04-02-2024, 08:57 PM

Have we not only finished 3rd twice in 20 years

Mowbray
Ross

If McInnes delivered that as you say plus an odd cup final or two it’s complete the direction I want to be going in

Just_Jimmy
04-02-2024, 09:15 PM
Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .With respect, lennon or your suggestions in your other post are bonkers.

McInnes is the right man and he would bring stability and success. Name me someone who has a better CV, is available/would come and who could almost guarantee success...

We blew it not bringing him in before.

IberianHibernian
04-02-2024, 09:16 PM
Dismissing Derek McInnes because the football would be too dull then suggesting Stephen Kenny as an ideal man for the job is a wild wild take.Who has suggested Kenny would be ideal manager for us ? I gave his name with a question mark as a possible future Hibernian manager as someone who knows the Scottish league and has a lot of managerial experience . Possible in that he could be one of many candidates who we could consider .

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Who has suggested Kenny would be ideal manager for us ? I gave his name with a question mark as a possible future Hibernian manager as someone who knows the Scottish league and has a lot of managerial experience . Possible in that he could be one of many candidates who we could consider .

So just to confirm, you don't want McInnes, a guy who knows the league and has lots of experience and has consistently taken teams to 2nd or 3rd in that league. But you do think we could consider Stephen Kenny - a guy whose experience of the SPFL is to relegate Dunfermline? :hmmm:

IberianHibernian
04-02-2024, 09:27 PM
So just to confirm, you don't want McInnes, a guy who knows the league and has lots of experience and has consistently taken teams to 2nd or 3rd in that league. But you do think we could consider Stephen Kenny - a guy whose experience of the SPFL is to relegate Dunfermline? :hmmm:Yes . Would consider Kenny yes .

DH1875
04-02-2024, 09:30 PM
I'd give it to Ian Murray.

Donegal Hibby
04-02-2024, 09:33 PM
We've hit the self destruct button with our last three managers. That ship has sailed. At least he would be box office.

Which is even more reason not to make matters worse . Birmingham City had exactly the same idea when appointing Rooney too who was seen as box office as well , both are s**** managers though .

Stevie Reid
04-02-2024, 09:36 PM
For basketcase club see Aberdeen.
Let’s not turn into them - this revolving door has been horrendous but they appointed some real duds. Incredible they never got relegated (poor Falkirk and reconstruction iirc).

They turned on Alex Smith we took them to a bawshair of the title. Then went into free fall with their impatience.

That’s not quite true. Smith was quite harshly dealt with, but he had a run of 17 games where they only won three and lost eight, which cost him his job (fun fact, one of those three wins was a 4-0 win at Tynie, and it was a home defeat to us that finally cost him).

There were two automatic relegation spots back then, and Aberdeen were getting dragged into it. Willie Miller came in and steadied the ship and they finished 6th.

Couple of points: Smith was the first Aberdeen manager to ever be sacked, so it’s not as if the supporters had previous for it. Secondly: in his first full season Miller finished 2nd in the league and lost the two cup finals; in his second one, they were 2nd in the league again, so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

Incidentally, Aberdeen’s next manager will be their 10th appointed this century - we’re already on 16 so I don’t know how they can be called more of a basket case than us. And that’s not to mention all the high league finishes under McInnes.

He's here!
04-02-2024, 09:37 PM

I'm all for belief but it's got to be based on something and it's hard to share yours that the management team know what they're doing based on current evidence. Are you also sure we have good players? They strike me as pretty hapless as they far more often play poorly than well. Six league wins all season is testament to that. I'd say hope, rather than belief, is all most fans have to cling to.

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 09:49 PM
Which is even more reason not to make matters worse . Birmingham City had exactly the same idea when appointing Rooney too who was seen as box office as well , both are s**** managers though .

Keane did well with Sunderland. There's nothing to suggest he would make matters worse IMO.

KWJ
04-02-2024, 09:50 PM
If, as seems likely, Monty isn't long for the Hibs job, I'd like to see Alex Neil succeed him but I don't think we could go wrong with Derek McInnes.

Spotted this thread and post straight after bumping the Alex Neil one up.

Would take McInnes but Neil would be more exciting.

eastmainsmsh
04-02-2024, 09:59 PM
Scott Parker ?

Donegal Hibby
04-02-2024, 10:21 PM
Keane did well with Sunderland. There's nothing to suggest he would make matters worse IMO.

He got Sunderland promoted though ended up resigning to which reportedly the Sunderland players celebrated when hearing he was gone . Ipswich he was dismissed .

Two jobs he's had which ended badly . He has only a win ratio of 38% and seems to create mayhem most places he's been one way or the other .

Nothing to suggest he'd improve us and imo he'd make matters worse.

LaMotta
04-02-2024, 10:23 PM
He got Sunderland promoted though ended up resigning to which reportedly the Sunderland players celebrated when hearing he was gone . Ipswich he was dismissed .

Two jobs he's had which ended badly . He has only a win ratio of 38% and seems to create mayhem most places he's been one way or the other .

Nothing to suggest he'd improve us and imo he'd make matters worse.

Matters cant get much worse.

Anyway pointless discussion as he will never be coming.:greengrin

Donegal Hibby
04-02-2024, 10:38 PM
Matters cant get much worse.

Anyway pointless discussion as he will never be coming.:greengrin

Things are bad though imo an appointment like Keane or Kenny would see things it worse .

Hopefully not 👍

Dr What If?
04-02-2024, 11:25 PM

If Keane was our manager we wouldn't have had a team for the second 45 on Saturday. After the half-time talk most would be out long term injured with severely damaged feelings! I seriously believe he would have some of them crying for their mummies.

ScottB
04-02-2024, 11:32 PM
Honestly, the Keane / Lennon chat is chronic. If they’re such marvellous, wannabe hard man miracle workers, why are they both spending their lives as pundits?

How long since Keane was last a manager?

Lennon has been linked with every job going in Scotland, if he’s so damn good, why hasn’t he gotten one? Aberdeen have rather gone with a guy so old a cold snap might see him off!

Just utter nonsense.

SteveHFC
04-02-2024, 11:42 PM
McInnes and I would give him the highest transfer budget available.

Smartie
05-02-2024, 12:24 AM

He did do well at Sunderland but a quick check shows that he was there from 2006-2008.

Other things that happened in that time period were that the first I-phone was released and Rory Whittaker was born.

The world has moved on since then and Keane himself has carved out a nice little niche for himself in punditry, something I find it hard to see him relinquishing for an inevitably short stint at Hibs.

Hibeesdaft16
05-02-2024, 12:36 AM
Hi guys, first post.

Alex Neil would be my first choice.

There are other managers out there though, Michael Duff done a fantastic job at Barnsley and had them playing brilliantly. John Eustace at Birmingham sacked very harshly too.

Neil ticks all the boxes for me though.

Unseen work
05-02-2024, 01:54 AM
What I’ll say is the majority of managers that say they play good attacking football talk nonsense

Ross gets criticised however give me his style over Maloney and Montgomery any day of the week

On suggestions, what about Tony Docherty? Great job at Dundee

Unseen work
05-02-2024, 02:01 AM
The question is who would the rest of the league not like to see us appoint?

IMO they’d hate to see us appoint Mcinnes because they know he’d make us good, challenging for Europe and every game would be difficult.

There’s your answer

houstonhibbee
05-02-2024, 04:59 AM
Ian Murray has worked his way up the leagues and doing a good job at raith

Hibeesdaft16
05-02-2024, 05:16 AM
The question is who would the rest of the league not like to see us appoint?

IMO they’d hate to see us appoint Mcinnes because they know he’d make us good, challenging for Europe and every game would be difficult.

There’s your answer

If we appointed Alex Neil every club including even the bigots would wish they could appoint and attract that calibre of manager.

Since452
05-02-2024, 05:54 AM
Playing open, expansive football or what we would class as "good football" these days will result in us getting pumped most weeks. A pragmatic approach is what gets you success in this league. The days of Mowbrayesque football are gone and managers will see through it in 5 minutes. We'd all love that type of football but McInnnes/Robinson have it spot on and it's proven to work. People complained about Jack Ross's football but he finished 3rd and never failed to get us to Hampden in every competition he entered playing his "pragmatic" football (which in hindsight actually wasn't that bad) before the club screwed him over with transfers. Steve Clarke at Killie was another one who's football wasn't exactly exhilarating but brought success. St Mirren schooled us on Saturday and we were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5.

Maloney/Montgomery MIGHT have had more luck here 20 years ago or with Celtic or someone.

Us as Hibs fans all yearn for 1970's/Mowbray/Lennon post January transfer window football. We are dreamers/romanticists as a fanbase. There's nothing wrong with that and it's one of the things that make Hibs special but it just isn't going to work now. Not long term anyway.

LaMotta
05-02-2024, 06:33 AM
He did do well at Sunderland but a quick check shows that he was there from 2006-2008.

Other things that happened in that time period were that the first I-phone was released and Rory Whittaker was born.

The world has moved on since then and Keane himself has carved out a nice little niche for himself in punditry, something I find it hard to see him relinquishing for an inevitably short stint at Hibs.

Yeh totally. I mentioned above there is no chance of him coming. I was just responding to a poster who said he'd make things worse. I don't think he would, but as you say we will never know.

Broxburn Greens
05-02-2024, 07:16 AM
Not sure who I’d go for but there’s surely going to be plenty of interested parties given the Foley investment.

For me if it comes to it we should really push the boat out for as high a calibre manager as we can. No point having a big transfer kitty (relatively speaking for Scotland) if we don’t have the best man in charge we possibly can.

100% no more punts on someone who could be the next big thing, someone who knows our game inside out or failing that a well known high profile (again relatively speaking) manager.

Given the potential budget and just for his sheer undoubted football knowledge and his work ethic I’d be tempted to right a historical wrong (my opinion) and sound out John Collins.

Jones28
05-02-2024, 07:28 AM

It would be a blast though.

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 07:31 AM
Would imagine the next guy won’t be from the usual circles of names that get mentioned. It’ll be a heavily Foley/Black Knights influenced appointment I reckon.

Jones28
05-02-2024, 07:32 AM
Honestly, the Keane / Lennon chat is chronic. If they’re such marvellous, wannabe hard man miracle workers, why are they both spending their lives as pundits?

Lennon has been linked with every job going in Scotland, if he’s so damn good, why hasn’t he gotten one? Aberdeen have rather gone with a guy so old a cold snap might see him off!

Just utter nonsense.

Re Keane I brought him up semi jokingly but that’s the last time I was really genuinely excited about a managers name.

I don’t think he’d come, I don’t think we’d want him, but it would be exciting.

Septimus
05-02-2024, 07:34 AM

Hope springs eternal.

LustForLeith
05-02-2024, 07:41 AM
What’s the craic with Michael O’Neill?

TrinityHFC
05-02-2024, 07:46 AM
What’s the craic with Michael O’Neill?

Very well paid at his NI job.

Bobby's Cinema
05-02-2024, 07:55 AM
Go out and get McInnes. As with a few other posters he has been my choice for the last 2/3 appointments.

Rebuilt his Aberdeen team a few times and keep them up there, and done the same with a relegated Killi side.

I have no doubt he can get a Hibs side well organised and build from there.

Not a reason to appoint him but I like the way he interviews - I've not regularly listened out for a Hibs manager's interview since Lennon.

Septimus
05-02-2024, 07:56 AM
Playing open, expansive football or what we would class as "good football" these days will result in us getting pumped most weeks. A pragmatic approach is what gets you success in this league. The days of Mowbrayesque football are gone and managers will see through it in 5 minutes. We'd all love that type of football but McInnnes/Robinson have it spot on and it's proven to work. People complained about Jack Ross's football but he finished 3rd and never failed to get us to Hampden in every competition he entered playing his "pragmatic" football (which in hindsight actually wasn't that bad) before the club screwed him over with transfers. Steve Clarke at Killie was another one who's football wasn't exactly exhilarating but brought success. St Mirren schooled us on Saturday and we were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5.

Maloney/Montgomery MIGHT have had more luck here 20 years ago or with Celtic or someone.

Us as Hibs fans all yearn for 1970's/Mowbray/Lennon post January transfer window football. We are dreamers/romanticists as a fanbase. There's nothing wrong with that and it's one of the things that make Hibs special but it just isn't going to work now. Not long term anyway.

I yearn for the Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond days but I am quite sure I will never see anything like that again from any team far less Hibs.

So being realistic all I would like from a manager right now is a vague idea what a centre half is for and perhaps somebody old fashioned enough to stick a couple of defenders on the posts when corner kicks are taken. Almost every week I see other teams with good but not spectacular centre halves or whatever they are called now (Gogic on Saturday for instance: Findlay the week before ) who earn their corn by closing down opposing players when they attack and organise the players round them.

Since452
05-02-2024, 07:58 AM
I yearn for the Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond days but I am quite sure I will never see anything like that again from any team far less Hibs.

So being realistic all I would like from a manager right now is a vague idea what a centre half is for and perhaps somebody old fashioned enough to stick a couple of defenders on the posts when corner kicks are taken. Almost every week I see other teams with good but not spectacular centre halves or whatever they are called now (Gogic on Saturday for instance: Findlay the week before ) who earn their corn by closing down opposing players when they attack and organise the players round them.

Fair point.

.Sean.
05-02-2024, 08:01 AM

Yes please

He was still saying on the Stick To Football podcast recently he would get back into management if it was the right job

Cannot believe we’re talking potential new managers again 😂😂

LaMotta
05-02-2024, 09:34 AM

Just utter nonsense.

Your preference (and others) for an "exciting" young manager like Montgomery has proved to be the biggest pile of nonsense ever.

Betty Boop
05-02-2024, 09:45 AM
Scott Parker ?

Yea :aok:

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 09:53 AM
Scott Parker ?

He’s probably the kind of level I’d expect us to be looking at going forward. It certainly won’t be Ian Murray or guys like Montgomery who are coming from significantly lower levels.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 10:01 AM
He’s probably the kind of level I’d expect us to be looking at going forward. It certainly won’t be Ian Murray or guys like Montgomery who are coming from significantly lower levels.

With the greatest respect to him, is he guaranteed to be a success just because he managed Fulham and Bournemouth at a decent level? Same goes for other guys at that level. Are we just at that point taking dreggs off the Championship drip tray and getting excited by a name and CV history than anything we think they would bring to the club?

At least someone like McInness might see this job as a step up from where he is and get him back into some sort of limelight to go do something else after 3/4 years of turning us around and finding success here. Or even build something quite long term.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2024, 10:06 AM
That’s not quite true. Smith was quite harshly dealt with, but he had a run of 17 games where they only won three and lost eight, which cost him his job (fun fact, one of those three wins was a 4-0 win at Tynie, and it was a home defeat to us that finally cost him).

There were two automatic relegation spots back then, and Aberdeen were getting dragged into it. Willie Miller came in and steadied the ship and they finished 6th.

Couple of points: Smith was the first Aberdeen manager to ever be sacked, so it’s not as if the supporters had previous for it. Secondly: in his first full season Miller finished 2nd in the league and lost the two cup finals; in his second one, they were 2nd in the league again, so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

Incidentally, Aberdeen’s next manager will be their 10th appointed this century - we’re already on 16 so I don’t know how they can be called more of a basket case than us. And that’s not to mention all the high league finishes under McInnes.

Ebbe Skovdahl
Pele (bundled out of Pittodrie in the boot of a car)
Alex Miller
Paul Hegarty
Tangoman (somewhat steadied ship) amongst the ones I recall.

Paw Broon probably laid the foundations and Del was consistent.

but for someone that lived in Aberdeen through the most turbulent period I’d argue they don’t give management a lot of time. The did employ some numpties tho.

Paul1642
05-02-2024, 10:13 AM
With the greatest respect to him, is he guaranteed to be a success just because he managed Fulham and Bournemouth at a decent level? Same goes for other guys at that level. Are we just at that point taking dreggs off the Championship drip tray and getting excited by a name and CV history than anything we think they would bring to the club?

At least someone like McInness might see this job as a step up from where he is and get him back into some sort of limelight to go do something else after 3/4 years of turning us around and finding success here. Or even build something quite long term.

Parker got two teams promoted to the English premiership. Now that we have a budget on par with Hearts and Aberdeen I would argue that promoting Fulham and Bournemouth is a comparable challenge to getting Hibs 3rd place.

He did however have a shocker in his most recent job at Club Brugge.

yerauldda
05-02-2024, 10:13 AM
John Eustace or Ian Murray.

Alex Trager
05-02-2024, 10:14 AM
Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary

Stop pissing about.

That would require some serious balls from the board in the sense that the fans would (rightly) call for his head if we finished tenth.

If they allowed him to transform the club whilst having a shocker of a season then I would be shocked.

I would be up for that though.

Communicate it. Say ‘this man will not be removed unless we get relegated, so strap in’.

Clear lines.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 10:17 AM
Parker got two teams promoted to the English premiership. Now that we have a budget on par with Hearts and Aberdeen I would argue that promoting Fulham and Bournemouth is a comparable challenge to getting Hibs 3rd place.

He did however have a shocker in his most recent job at Club Brugge.

He definitely did well in those roles so I'm not going to necessarily reject him as a candidate outright, but I do think we need to be careful of hiring these types of guys again after the disaster of Heckingbottom and Johnson. Sometimes guys are built for certain leagues and the first time he came out his comfort zone in Belgium it crumbled.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2024, 10:19 AM
No more experiments
No more projects

This all day long. Nice and simple.

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 10:21 AM

I don’t think he’d be a guaranteed success, would agree with all of your post. I do think guys like him are a level above anything we’d have been looking at previously though. 2 Premiership promotions is much better than Heckingbottom or Johnson had done before coming to us.

I’m not necessarily advocating Parker specifically btw. I just think a manager with a CV more in line with his may be the type we’ll be looking at in future rather than the previous markets we were looking at.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2024, 10:21 AM

This as well!!

chasitup
05-02-2024, 10:24 AM
McInnes and I would give him the highest transfer budget available.

Should have gone and got him before.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2024, 10:24 AM

Just utter nonsense.

Yeah but on paper you thought Maloney, LJ and NM were decent appointments so there’s just as much nonsense coming from you too!!

I doubt Keane or Lennon could do any worse than what we’ve seen the last few years.

TrinityHFC
05-02-2024, 10:47 AM
Yeah but on paper you thought Maloney, LJ and NM were decent appointments so there’s just as much nonsense coming from you too!!

I doubt Keane or Lennon could do any worse than what we’ve seen the last few years.

I don't know why LJ keeps getting lumped in with people who have been total failures?

He improved the league position in his one season. He took over quite a poor squad and he was hamstrung by the grand plan of buying a lorry load of project players who have pretty much all been shown to have not been good enough. He had to make decisions to move people on or separate them from the main group because there were too many players to manage and keep happy. Of course we had ups and downs but we ended the season fairly strongly. We signed reasonably well in the summer for how he wanted to play although we still needed better central defenders.

I thought the away game in Andorra was disappointing but we ultimately won well over the two games, the Luzern games were both good and he paid the price for scoring 5 goals in 3 opening league game and managing to lose them all. Fine, perhaps that meant he wasn't the man to move us on to being a third placed team - who knows how the games would have gone after that, but I think his competence, or lack of it, has been hugely overplayed. I enjoyed going to the games in the main, we didn't always get it right but we created lots of chances in most games.

Contrasting with Maloney and Montgomery there's no way the should be in there.

Since452
05-02-2024, 11:04 AM
I don't know why LJ keeps getting lumped in with people who have been total failures?

He improved the league position in his one season. He took over quite a poor squad and he was hamstrung by the grand plan of buying a lorry load of project players who have pretty much all been shown to have not been good enough. He had to make decisions to move people on or separate them from the main group because there were too many players to manage and keep happy. Of course we had ups and downs but we ended the season fairly strongly. We signed reasonably well in the summer for how he wanted to play although we still needed better central defenders.

I thought the away game in Andorra was disappointing but we ultimately won well over the two games, the Luzern games were both good and he paid the price for scoring 5 goals in 3 opening league game and managing to lose them all. Fine, perhaps that meant he wasn't the man to move us on to being a third placed team - who knows how the games would have gone after that, but I think his competence, or lack of it, has been hugely overplayed. I enjoyed going to the games in the main, we didn't always get it right but we created lots of chances in most games.

:agree:

thebausburst
05-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Should have gone and got him before.

This is the only response for me 👍 McInnes all day long.

LaMotta
05-02-2024, 11:27 AM

Exactly. Whilst there are never gurantees about results etc as a few folk have alluded to they would absolutely gurantee at the very least raising the profile of the club and some box office entertainment from the touchlines.

VoltaireHibs
05-02-2024, 11:32 AM
Lots of folk on the McInnes bandwagon but for me Robinson is the pick. Similar football to McInnes but usually a bit more entertaining, especially given his budget constraints. He also appears to be excellent at getting teams to gel, which is the nature of the beast at clubs like Motherwell and St Mirren, he's good at bringing in youngsters and getting them playing at a solid SPL level. I also think he'd come here, which I don't think McInnes currently would.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2024, 11:33 AM

Not speaking for anyone else but I couldn’t stand LJ from the minute he arrived. He’s one of the worst managers we’ve ever had.

I know the stats don’t point to that, and you can point towards qualifying for Europe, but his overall demeanour, chat, and way he treated our club was crap. ( just my own wee opinion on things)

I’m kinda feeling similar towards NM now.

Doh Rae Me
05-02-2024, 11:40 AM
Neil Lennon for me.

First time I've ever left ER early was Saturday and very doubtful I'll be back unless big changes happen.
Whatever differing opinions about NL there are he brings in the crowds, think it was Lewis that stated he's the best coach he's been under, I for one would be delighted if he was reappointed, he's older and wiser now and definitely knows the league. I'd rather see passion from our manager than the NM cobblers Interview witnessed on Saturday night.

If not him I'd go for Duncan Ferguson but he may be difficult to get after putting us out of the cup.

Brizo
05-02-2024, 11:42 AM
When Montgomery goes, I think we need to go for proven SPL experience, as trying managers with none has failed. It's Mcinnes, Docherty, or Robinson for me although Im not convinced any of them would come. I get the impression they're old school in terms of who they sign and not sure our club's recruitment strategy allows that level of autonomy.

TrinityHFC
05-02-2024, 11:48 AM
Not speaking for anyone else but I couldn’t stand LJ from the minute he arrived. He’s one of the worst managers we’ve ever had.

I know the stats don’t point to that, and you can point towards qualifying for Europe, but his overall demeanour, chat, and way he treated our club was crap. ( just my own wee opinion on things)

I’m kinda feeling similar towards NM now.

A lot of people seemed to get caught up in whether they liked him as a person or not. I get that possibly has an impact on how he manages and what he gets out of players but ultimately that all comes out in performances and results.

I'm locking for Hibs managers to give me a team I enjoy watching and hopefully get results. I doubt I'll ever go for a pint with any of them or have them over for dinner.

We had a lot of chat about how the players were enjoying working with NM in the early days. Great, I'm glad they are all having a lovely time while ER is half empty well before the end of games.

Donegal Hibby
05-02-2024, 12:20 PM

I don't know why LJ is lumped in with people that were total failures either. I'd take a 5th place finish and qualifying for Europe right now tbh and going into the split with still a chance of 3rd .

Was the team LJ took over on any scale equal to the one Lennon took over and made worse ?. His conduct was a hell of a lot better when leaving than the latter too though I always suspected he was angling to get back to parkhead anyhow which we all know how that worked out after he blew over £30m on signings ! .

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 12:21 PM

Would generally agree.

I wanted LJ gone and I don’t think he was particularly good, but lumping him in with Maloney and especially Montgomery is well off the mark imo.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2024, 12:24 PM
A lot of people seemed to get caught up in whether they liked him as a person or not. I get that possibly has an impact on how he manages and what he gets out of players but ultimately that all comes out in performances and results.

I'm locking for Hibs managers to give me a team I enjoy watching and hopefully get results. I doubt I'll ever go for a pint with any of them or have them over for dinner.

We had a lot of chat about how the players were enjoying working with NM in the early days. Great, I'm glad they are all having a lovely time while ER is half empty well before the end of games.

I think the players were just delighted that LJ was away!

Judging by what we saw on Saturday, I don’t think (m)any of them are enjoying playing for NM now.

Similar to yourself, I also want a team I can enjoy watching. None of our recent managers have provided that.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 12:32 PM
I think the players were just delighted that LJ was away!

Judging by what we saw on Saturday, I don’t think (m)any of them are enjoying playing for NM now.

Similar to yourself, I also want a team I can enjoy watching. None of our recent managers have provided that.

I think you're spot on. I do agree with others that perhaps LJ shouldn't be lumped in with NM and Maloney (as much as I openly detested the man). But it was clear at the end the players didn't enjoy playing for him and the chat around the place sounded pretty chronic.

But it's a lesson for everyone to learn that the new manager bounce is sometimes not indicative of the new guys qualities longer term, sometimes not being the guy everyone hated is enough to have a short term improvement. Think people got a bit too excited by a win or two in the league.

Since452
05-02-2024, 12:34 PM
Could you imagine Kensell's shortlist/instructions IF Montgomery gets his books?

A German - Might be a bit like Klopp. Ideal candidate would preferably wear a baseball cap. Also the Euros are there this summer so will get European experience.

A Spaniard. Spain won the woman's World Cup so they must be good.

Experience of the Scottish Premiership - Rylan from the Cinch adverts. Check his availability.

Young project with potential - Charlie Adam. Has yet to be sacked by Fleetwood so must be great.

We will interview each of these candidates for 48 hours each to make absolutely 100% sure they are the right person.

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2024, 12:40 PM
Neil Lennon for me.

First time I've ever left ER early was Saturday and very doubtful I'll be back unless big changes happen.
Whatever differing opinions about NL there are he brings in the crowds, think it was Lewis that stated he's the best coach he's been under, I for one would be delighted if he was reappointed, he's older and wiser now and definitely knows the league. I'd rather see passion from our manager than the NM cobblers Interview witnessed on Saturday night.

If not him I'd go for Duncan Ferguson but he may be difficult to get after putting us out of the cup.

The 1st team squad we presently have at the club, while imbalanced and in need of better quality, should still be well capable of getting into the top 6 and challenging for 4th place. The problem is NM is getting nowhere near the best out of the squad, which for me is due to poor tactics, poor team selection and a refusal to change team formation based on the opposition we are playing. If he stays in post until the end of the season I think we will end up in the bottom 6 and possibly get drawn into a relegation battle.

I'd offer Lennon the job until the end of the season. He knows the club, he knows the league and would iron out the gutless performances overnight and get us being competitive again. That would give the club time to consider permanent candidates for the Manager's job from next Summer.

Heedersnvolleys
05-02-2024, 12:45 PM
Would imagine the next guy won’t be from the usual circles of names that get mentioned. It’ll be a heavily Foley/Black Knights influenced appointment I reckon.

What managers fall into that category?

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 01:10 PM
What managers fall into that category?

Someone mentioned Scott Parker further up the thread. Managed at Bournemouth previously and is probably outside our budget we’d usually have but may be within reach with the increased investment.

Other than that, I’ve no idea, I never really had any names in mind but if we’re increasing our spend then it would stand to reason that would also include our spend on managers. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a foreign manager that their data driven approach uncovered.

Greenio
05-02-2024, 01:49 PM
Ian Murray. Knows hibs, knows the Scottish game, good prospects, his next job will be with an spl club so why not us

Saying that. I'm still hopeful we can turn it around with NM n these new players. Last match was our bottom, there's players coming back, players to settle in, if we can get a few good performances and pick up points, football cam change quickly

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Ian Murray. Knows hibs, knows the Scottish game, good prospects, his next job will be with an spl club so why not us

Saying that. I'm still hopeful we can turn it around with NM n these new players. Last match was our bottom, there's players coming back, players to settle in, if we can get a few good performances and pick up points, football cam change quickly

The same Ian Murray who has lost 5 in a row? :greengrin

Greenio
05-02-2024, 02:05 PM

Not against anyone else... apart from Lennon. Burnt his bridges in the worst way and I see no reason to think he's deserving of another chance with us as if he didn't treat the club and everyone at it with zero respect

Hamish
05-02-2024, 02:06 PM
Always impressed when I watch Ian Murrays post match interviews at Raith, even in defeat he is articulate and honest.

Not sure he would bring his current assistant with him if he did come to ER...

Greenio
05-02-2024, 02:06 PM
The same Ian Murray who has lost 5 in a row? :greengrin

Ha!

Nah, it's a dip in form... doesn't make someone a bad choice. He even said it would happen himself

Hibee Daft
05-02-2024, 02:09 PM
I would never have gotten rid of Jack Ross, he previously had us 3rd and a week away from a cup final.

I was really surprised he got sacked and some fans need to look at themselves and realise they are partly to blame for moaning even when we have a good manager.

GreenCastle
05-02-2024, 02:18 PM
McInnes would cost quite a bit to get him out his contract and he would be able to demand a massive wage as knows Hibs would be desperate.

Lennon would be the opposite. Lennon isn’t perfect but at the same time he would definitely improve us and similar to Warnock the worst we could do is give him till summer and see how he does.

You would think the club have a plan but doubt it. Took 2 weeks to get us Monty after LJ was sacked.

Think it took them about 1 month between Maloney and LJ.

Maloney to Ross was around 3 weeks I think.

Since90+2
05-02-2024, 04:16 PM
McInnes would cost quite a bit to get him out his contract and he would be able to demand a massive wage as knows Hibs would be desperate.

Lennon would be the opposite. Lennon isn’t perfect but at the same time he would definitely improve us and similar to Warnock the worst we could do is give him till summer and see how he does.

You would think the club have a plan but doubt it. Took 2 weeks to get us Monty after LJ was sacked.

Think it took them about 1 month between Maloney and LJ.

Maloney to Ross was around 3 weeks I think.

Lennon would likely demand higher wages than McInnes.

Cabbage-Patch
05-02-2024, 04:22 PM
All the experiments have failed, English Lower League Managers, Managers from foreign leagues. We need a proven SPL manager so based on our budget and who we could likely get it has to be McInnes or Lennon with my preference being McInnes

Bushwoof
05-02-2024, 04:38 PM
Doesn't the Foley money give us more clout here? If you want a successful club then a good manager is surely the foundation of that. We should be looking in the same shop as Celtc or the Huns (thank you, appeal court!!!) in that regard.

Since90+2
05-02-2024, 04:40 PM
Doesn't the Foley money give us more clout here? If you want a successful club then a good manager is surely the foundation of that. We should be looking in the same shop as Celtc or the Huns (thank you, appeal court!!!) in that regard.

Celtics turnover iirc is about 10 times higher than ours. They are also a club with a far higher profile. Absolutely no chance we'd be looking at the same level of candidates as them.

Rodgers is supposedly on about £80k a week.

Torto7
05-02-2024, 04:47 PM

Wait you can say Hun now? How hunderful.

Bushwoof
05-02-2024, 04:49 PM
Can the Black Knights not afford £4M p.a. on a manager? They're talking about challenging at the top and it won't happen without spending.

Since90+2
05-02-2024, 04:53 PM
Can the Black Knights not afford £4M p.a. on a manager? They're talking about challenging at the top and it won't happen without spending.

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious or just trolling.

Jones28
05-02-2024, 05:28 PM
Hun

Haha yass well done admins

h1bs4life
05-02-2024, 06:08 PM

If you were there on Saturday you would have seen and heard the support has turned against him not the expert internet know alls .
I was happy when Monty got appointed sadly he doesn’t have it and should be let go.
Next appointment should be an experienced Scottish Manager McInnes or Robinson

Joe6-2
05-02-2024, 06:10 PM
Wait you can say Hun now? How hunderful.

Something to shout about at last!

Paul1642
05-02-2024, 06:23 PM
Someone mentioned Scott Parker further up the thread. Managed at Bournemouth previously and is probably outside our budget we’d usually have but may be within reach with the increased investment.

Other than that, I’ve no idea, I never really had any names in mind but if we’re increasing our spend then it would stand to reason that would also include our spend on managers. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a foreign manager that their data driven approach uncovered.

Parker was sacked form Bournemouth. Not sure that’s going to make him want to manage for the same owners. Not impossible and being sacked doesn’t mean they didn’t have a good relationship.

Bushwoof
06-02-2024, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure if you're actually being serious or just trolling.
OK, I was maybe maybe a bit OTT, but I'm not trolling. I'd have thought it would be much more cost effective to spend a large sum on a good manager than the same on a player. A good manager will have much more impact on the team. If the Black Knights want to spend some cash that's where it should go.

Since452
06-02-2024, 09:03 AM
Hun

Haha yass well done admins

Yeah really good, positive news to be honest. Given us all a boost.

BoomtownHibees
06-02-2024, 09:10 AM
Parker was sacked form Bournemouth. Not sure that’s going to make him want to manage for the same owners. Not impossible and being sacked doesn’t mean they didn’t have a good relationship.

I think he was sacked before Foley was involved with Bournemouth

Winston Ingram
06-02-2024, 09:14 AM
I think Jack Ross is the only favourite for the job we've appointed in recent years. When the board finally get their arse in gear and bullet Monty, the likelihood is we'll appoint someone that no one really expects as we did with Maloney, Johnson and Monty.

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2024, 09:18 AM

Pre Foley though.

I’m not really using Parker as an individual example to be honest. I’d just suspect that someone with his sort of pedigree may be more along the lines of what we’re looking at. Parker, Mowbray etc rather than English League One.

Saint Hibee
06-02-2024, 10:01 AM
I think Jack Ross is the only favourite for the job we've appointed in recent years. When the board finally get their arse in gear and bullet Monty, the likelihood is we'll appoint someone that no one really expects as we did with Maloney, Johnson and Monty.

Surely they'll have learnt their lesson by now?

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2024, 10:04 AM

I think the next man will be an appointment heavily influenced by Foley/BKFC. And that will likely mean someone we haven’t heard of, but probably of a higher calibre (at least on paper) than guys like Maloney, Johnson or Montgomery.

Donegal Hibby
06-02-2024, 10:13 AM

It's not always been bad appointing someone we don't expect , Mowbray and Stubbs being prime examples.

Spike Mandela
06-02-2024, 10:28 AM
Will depend entirely how much of the investment you want to spend on it.

worcesterhibby
06-02-2024, 11:14 AM
I still love the idea of a mental chain smoking South American that wears sun glasses all year round, I don’t have any names though.

César Luis Menotti :agree:

O'Rourke3
06-02-2024, 11:47 AM

I appreciate he has baggage but we need someone who stands a chance of motivating/scaring/toughening the current squad.That approach was last tried under Butcher.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Chorley Hibee
06-02-2024, 11:54 AM
Somebody who can galvanise both the team and the support and has a bit of character about them, without having a used car salesman vibe (Johnson).

I'm sorry, but Maloney, and now Montgomery, couldn't be more boring and characterless if they tried.

worcesterhibby
06-02-2024, 12:01 PM
Somebody who can galvanise both the team and the support and his a bit of character about them, without having a used car salesman vibe (Johnson).

I'm sorry, but Maloney, and now Montgomery, couldn't be more boring and characterless if they tried.

No one would care whether they were as boring as my old maths teacher or as funny as Lee Mack if we were winning more than we lost and were playing decent football.

Winston Ingram
06-02-2024, 12:04 PM

That was a bit of a different situation as he was the outstanding candidate and was available. When replacing the last 3, i can't think of any outstanding candidates and I certainly can't think of any available.

People may argue the case with Lennon is similar but i suspect his departure was a lot messier than people think it was and i suspect that's stopped us going there.

Now i think there is an outstanding candidate in Alex Neil and he is available.

Mainstandman
06-02-2024, 12:05 PM
Its really hard to attract a good upward trending manager to Scotland. The appointment at Hibs and our peers (Hearts, Aberdeen, St Mirren (maybe)) are often the peak of their ability or have been promoted to incompetence. In the last 20 years we've only had Mowbray & Mcleish who have actually gone on to succeed at a higher level. Aberdeen - Ferguson is that it poss, McInnes, Hearts - Maybe Neilson. The rest have been found out, had a good season when the signings fell in their favour but when they had to make the difference it ended.

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 12:15 PM
the problem I have with all this, is that folk talk about Mcinnes and Lennon as if they would automatically bring success. IMO Monty needs more time - you don't win a league title on a tight budget if you don't have good management skills, regardless of the league. he's just brought his own players in FFS and after 1 game (albeit a horrendous performance) folk saying to bin him. we have to stop this cycle of hire and sack the minute things go wrong.

Heckingbottom went on to do ok after he left us, and Maloney doing ok with Wigan given the restrictions / points reduction they are under too. look at Potter / Poch at Chelsea, both respected experienced managers but both failed / failing there. you can also argue that Ipswich are doing incredibly well with their manager who's in his first job having come from Man U reserves I believe.

sometimes things take time, changes in the team need to be made but IMO you need to back the manager once you've given him the funds and the decision making to make those changes. part of the problem is that Hearts are doing well - look at Naismith - awful personality, no experience and their fans wanting him out before a crazy run where they seem to be winning without playing that well...exactly the sort of manager our fans don't want.

folk are angry, I get that. however booing players back onto the pitch at half time on Saturday was out of order - are we really all so child like? folk will always do better with encouragement, not being constantly criticised, so I do think we need to bite our lip at times and try to encourage a bit more.

Monty is and should be under scrutiny / pressure however I do think we need to give him time to get the new signings to gel and reintegrate the likes of Boyle who can maybe be the spark / character in the dressing room to make a difference. there is no magic wand like some folk seem to think when it comes to appointing a manager, sometimes we need patience to get there.

worcesterhibby
06-02-2024, 12:18 PM
Lots of people on here saying we should just appoint someone who wins matches and grinds out results who knows the Scottish game.. A bit like Jack Ross then.. who had a much better win rate in the top flight for us than Lennon did by the way. Yet the crowds were going down, people were moaning about "eye-bleeding" football on here every week and most were quite happy to see him gone when he was sacked (until we got much worse under Maloney and then changed their mind).

We migth say we just want relative success.. but as soon as there are five results in a row which are 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 1-0, 0-1 the majority on here and in the stands will be booing the boring football and demanding some attacking intent.

Maybe Robinson is the best bet.. but his win rate is pretty poor. Jack Ross got sacked with a win rate of 49% !! The only Managers that get close to that (for top flight matches) in the modern era (since 1980) for Hibs were Tony Mowbray and John Collins.

Robinsons win rate below

Oldham Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_Athletic_A.F.C.)
9 July 2016
12 January 2017

Motherwell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherwell_F.C.)
28 February 2017
31 December 2020

Morecambe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morecambe_F.C.)
7 June 2021
22 February 2022

St Mirren (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mirren_F.C.)
22 February 2022
Present

Total

MicInnes win rate is much better (if you ignore his Bristol City flop) and he's done it at three different clubs in Scotland.

Team
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

St Johnstone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Johnstone_F.C.)
27 November 2007
19 October 2011

Bristol City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_City_F.C.)
19 October 2011
12 January 2013

Aberdeen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_F.C.)
7 April 2013
8 March 2021

Kilmarnock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmarnock_F.C.)
4 January 2022
present

Total

Monty's win ratio has suffered since he came here

Team
Nat
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

Central Coast Mariners (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_Mariners_FC)[23] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Montgomery#cite_note-27)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg/23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia)
4 July 2021
11 September 2023

Hibernian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_FC)[24] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Montgomery#cite_note-28)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)
11 September 2023
Present

Total

Just for comparison.. Ian Murray below

Team
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

Dumbarton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbarton_F.C.)
22 November 2012
22 May 2015

22 May 2015
12 December 2015

Airdrieonians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airdrieonians_F.C.)
19 October 2018
24 May 2022

Raith Rovers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raith_Rovers_F.C.)
24 May 2022
Present

Total

Since452
06-02-2024, 12:21 PM
the problem I have with all this, is that folk talk about Mcinnes and Lennon as if they would automatically bring success. IMO Monty needs more time - you don't win a league title on a tight budget if you don't have good management skills, regardless of the league. he's just brought his own players in FFS and after 1 game (albeit a horrendous performance) folk saying to bin him. we have to stop this cycle of hire and sack the minute things go wrong.

Heckingbottom went on to do ok after he left us, and Maloney doing ok with Wigan given the restrictions / points reduction they are under too. look at Potter / Poch at Chelsea, both respected experienced managers but both failed / failing there. you can also argue that Ipswich are doing incredibly well with their manager who's in his first job having come from Man U reserves I believe.

sometimes things take time, changes in the team need to be made but IMO you need to back the manager once you've given him the funds and the decision making to make those changes. part of the problem is that Hearts are doing well - look at Naismith - awful personality, no experience and their fans wanting him out before a crazy run where they seem to be winning without playing that well...exactly the sort of manager our fans don't want.

folk are angry, I get that. however booing players back onto the pitch at half time on Saturday was out of order - are we really all so child like? folk will always do better with encouragement, not being constantly criticised, so I do think we need to bite our lip at times and try to encourage a bit more.

Monty is and should be under scrutiny / pressure however I do think we need to give him time to get the new signings to gel and reintegrate the likes of Boyle who can maybe be the spark / character in the dressing room to make a difference. there is no magic wand like some folk seem to think when it comes to appointing a manager, sometimes we need patience to get there.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the Australian league but did he actually win the league or was it a knockout competition? Something is telling me his team were miles beind but it changes to a cup style format? He won the competition he entered so fair doos regardless. Still an achievement.

Hibs90
06-02-2024, 12:25 PM
Mourinho :greengrin

The_Exile
06-02-2024, 12:27 PM
I don't think it really matters who the next manager is if we end up having to find another one. The problems we have go much deeper than who picks the team and what shape he sends them out in or even what they work on in training. If McInnes/Lennon came in I reckon you'd still get games where we get turned over far too easily. I feel like we are very very soft in key areas. Every team needs a solid spine to it, we don't have one, you need strong mental leadership all over the park, (IMO, mainly centre back and centre mid so you don't lose the battle in the middle of the park, which we do in practically every game I see us play these days, outnumbered and outfought). We've no leaders in that team that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and drive his team mates on, we've no real experience other than the keeper (and Hanlon I suppose) and he's finished at this level IMO, so it's not as if the only 'leader' in this team is capable of leading by example these days. We've brought in a bunch of kids, and as talented as they may be, with the best will in the world they're not going to drive us on and become match winners the way a more seasoned pro would (still have high hopes that Marcondes will show his obvious quality more often than not and win us games).

Barring an absolute capitulation that sees us dragged down into a relegation battle, I think the manager will see out the season. We will likely line someone up to come in not long after the season finishes so that they have time to get on board with recruitment. Given the surgery the entire squad needs, I fear another dreaded 'season of transition' next season, with fickle performances while the team gels and gets going.

It's fun being a Hibs supporter eh? :duck:

badabing67
06-02-2024, 12:34 PM
César Luis Menotti :agree:

He looks older than Bill Foley

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2024, 12:36 PM

Why stick with someone who can’t do the job? He’s a novice that shouldn’t be anywhere near us.

He only managed something like 65 games before coming to ER. That’s a huge problem.

We need someone that players can look up to and respect. He’s a nobody and hasn’t done a single thing to make anyone think he’s the right man in charge.

Pretty much the entire crowd on Saturday could see he’s not the right man. Folk like yourself are in the tiniest of minorities and are, to be blunt, wrong.

Magic spark from Boyle?? Have you watched him since he came back from injury? He’s a shadow of the player that went to S Arabia.

You just need to listen to him to know his people skills suck. He’s as boring and bland as can be.

Who on here thinks there’s a magic wand or quick fix? I’ve not seen anyone saying anything remotely close to that.

What I am reading is people saying they want to enjoy going back to ER again. They’re also saying it will take a new manager for that to happen.

There was a huge home support there on Saturday. Are you really suggesting that we’re all wrong?

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2024, 12:37 PM
I'm ignorant when it comes to the Australian league but did he actually win the league or was it a knockout competition? Something is telling me his team were miles beind but it changes to a cup style format? He won the competition he entered so fair doos regardless. Still an achievement.

I think they finished 2nd in the league (11 behind Melbourne City) and essentially won what is a cup competition afterwards.

Top 6 (from 12) qualify for the cup style competition, top 2 get a bye to the 2 legged semi.

Think Melbourne City are considered ‘The Premiers’ for winning the regular season league and CCM are considered ‘The Champions’ for winning the finals series.

A really strange set up.

badabing67
06-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Why stick with someone who can’t do the job? He’s a novice that shouldn’t be anywhere near us.

He only managed something like 65 games before coming to ER. That’s a huge problem.

We need someone that players can look up to and respect. He’s a nobody and hasn’t done a single thing to make anyone think he’s the right man in charge.

Pretty much the entire crowd on Saturday could see he’s not the right man. Folk like yourself are in the tiniest of minorities and are, to be blunt, wrong.

Magic spark from Boyle?? Have you watched him since he came back from injury? He’s a shadow of the player that went to S Arabia.

You just need to listen to him to know his people skills suck. He’s as boring and bland as can be.

Who on here thinks there’s a magic wand or quick fix? I’ve not seen anyone saying anything remotely close to that.

What I am reading is people saying they want to enjoy going back to ER again. They’re also saying it will take a new manager for that to happen.

There was a huge home support there on Saturday. Are you really suggesting that we’re all wrong?

Couldn't of put it Better myself....

Donegal Hibby
06-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Lots of people on here saying we should just appoint someone who wins matches and grinds out results who knows the Scottish game.. A bit like Jack Ross then.. who had a much better win rate in the top flight for us than Lennon did by the way. Yet the crowds were going down, people were moaning about "eye-bleeding" football on here every week and most were quite happy to see him gone when he was sacked (until we got much worse under Maloney and then changed their mind).

We migth say we just want relative success.. but as soon as there are five results in a row which are 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 1-0, 0-1 the majority on here and in the stands will be booing the boring football and demanding some attacking intent.

Maybe Robinson is the best bet.. but his win rate is pretty poor. Jack Ross got sacked with a win rate of 49% !! The only Managers that get close to that (for top flight matches) in the modern era (since 1980) for Hibs were Tony Mowbray and John Collins.

Robinsons win rate below

Oldham Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_Athletic_A.F.C.)
9 July 2016
12 January 2017

Motherwell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherwell_F.C.)
28 February 2017
31 December 2020

Morecambe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morecambe_F.C.)
7 June 2021
22 February 2022

22 February 2022
Present

Total

MicInnes win rate is much better (if you ignore his Bristol City flop) and he's done it at three different clubs in Scotland.

Team
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

St Johnstone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Johnstone_F.C.)
27 November 2007
19 October 2011

Bristol City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_City_F.C.)
19 October 2011
12 January 2013

Aberdeen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_F.C.)
7 April 2013
8 March 2021

Kilmarnock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmarnock_F.C.)
4 January 2022
present

Total

Monty's win ratio has suffered since he came here

Team
Nat
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

Central Coast Mariners (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_Mariners_FC)[23] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Montgomery#cite_note-27)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg/23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia)
4 July 2021
11 September 2023

Hibernian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_FC)[24] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Montgomery#cite_note-28)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)
11 September 2023
Present

Total

Just for comparison.. Ian Murray below

Team
From
To
Record

G
W
D
L
Win %

Dumbarton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbarton_F.C.)
22 November 2012
22 May 2015

22 May 2015
12 December 2015

Airdrieonians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airdrieonians_F.C.)
19 October 2018
24 May 2022

Raith Rovers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raith_Rovers_F.C.)
24 May 2022
Present

Total

Excellent post . 👍 The 3 most popular choices on here to replace Monty would I think no doubt steady the ship sort term though long term it would eventually end badly with complaints about the football or results. If the worse comes to the worse and we are looking for a manager again I'm hoping we keep well clear of McInnes, Robinson and Lennon . Personally I'd rather SDG than Ian Murray too .

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 12:43 PM

you might be right, but I do think the point still stands that he was able to man manage a team of young players and those (like Cummings) who had been written off as done in the game. if we're accusing him of losing the dressing room as has been alleged elsewhere, it just doesn't add up when you look at what he achieved before. who knows whether that will be a one of success for him, but he also had a great impact on changing the youth set up at CCM before that too.

sometimes you need to look at the skill set of the manager and accept that it might take time, and that changes need to be made to support his vision. I've had it myself in my own workplace when I changed my own team to achieve what I needed to achieve. it took a bit of short term pain and a bit of time but now I believe we've got there. the grass isn't always greener...

Paul1642
06-02-2024, 12:44 PM
Our permanent mangers appointed this century are

Frank Sauzee
Bobby Williamson
Tony Mowbray
John Collins
Mixu Paatelainen
John Hughes
Colin Calderwood
Pat Fenlon
Terry Butcher
Alan Stubbs
Neil Lennon
Paul Heckingbottom
Jack Ross
Shaun Maloney
Lee Johnson
Nick Montgomery

If I remember correctly the in my ones on this list who weren’t sacked are Mowbray and Stubbs, and even then Stubbs was probably on the verge of it if he never won the cup final.

Out of those who got sacked eventually I would say that Collins, Lennon and Ross were successes overall despite the ending.

These appointments are very balanced between those who know Scottish football and those who don’t including a fair few ex Hibs players and this seems to have had little, if any bearing on whether or not they were a success.

Out of the 4 I have called successes Lennon and Ross were probably expected to be good whereas Mowbray and Stubbs were definitely wildcards.

Terry Butcher probably came with the highest expectations bar Lennon and turned into the biggest disaster of the lot.

Personally I would give Monty until the end of the season because sacking managers after 6 months is just not enough time for me. If he’s not turned it around by the end of the season then we should have our target lined to take over as soon as pre season resumes rather than a last minute move just as our season is beginning.

The new manager is going to inherit a decent squad and be backed in the transfer market so the need to play it safe with McInnes doesn’t apply pre season as far as I’m concerned, whereas if we sack Monty mid season we will need to chose a safe bet to steady the ship.

KeithTheHibby
06-02-2024, 12:48 PM
If we need a new manager and given the fixtures that lie ahead in February, it looks likely I want a manager with experience of the premier league. No more of these out the box leftfield type of appointments that within a matter of a few month start to fail.

McInnes or Robinson for me and both would jump at the chance of taking over at ER.

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2024, 01:00 PM
Been very impressed with The Rangers’ Manager Philippe Clement so far

Sensible old school earned his spurs as a Manager in the Belgian League and a decent pedigree as a player and still quite young at 49

Keeps saying the SPL is similar to the Belgian League and won’t be drawn on any issues or what other teams are doing outwith his own club

Reminds me of Tony Mowbray

Someone like him

I also like the way Tony Docherty has conducted himself as a Manager

jacomo
06-02-2024, 01:11 PM

Tbf you are making some huge presumptions here.

You presume that all those Hibs fans who attended on Saturday agree with you, and you presume to know the mood inside the dressing room and the gaffer’s management style.

Every Hibs fan is frustrated with recent results but that doesn’t mean everything else you say is true.

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 01:24 PM

it's probably pointless even replying to you as your mind is so set and I think from your other posts has been for a while. I think generalising your points and speaking on behalf of the majority of our support isn't your best argument tbh. the crowd on Saturday were rightly having a go at the lack of effort from the players, especially first half. there wasn't a chorus of chanting for monty to go - I was brought up a Newcastle fan and know only too well what a toxic support looks and feels like.

saying he's only managed 65 games before now is just a nonsense thing to say as evidence that he's not able. look at mowbray when he came to u? Docherty at Dundee, the guy at Ipswich who's got them 3rd after promotion. means nothing. you'd rather dismiss his achievement in those games and just focus on the number? bit odd and stinks of you not being prepared to be at all balanced in your argument.

we all want to enjoy going back to ER again and yeah its not been great this season so far - you really think the manager doesn't want that too? you really think he's brought in players with pace and quality to somehow bore us instead? if you stayed to watch the second half (if you were even there?) you'd have seen Moriah welsh and Mayenda play well. if you watched previous games you'd have seen Marcondes and maolida play well too. you might be right about Boyle, but I did wonder whether he was holding back a bit in order not to get injured before the Asian cup...

he may not be that polished in front of the camera but to equate that with his man management skills is bonkers. unlike Johnson (and Lennon and Ross) he hasn't thrown the players under the bus, hasn't hung them out to dry. he has named the lack of effort evident overall and now needs to back it up with changes to the team. fans wanted him to make changes and move folk on - he's done that. my point is that with so much change, he has to be given more than 1-2 games post window to show that the players he has brought in can get better results AND perform better.

I think folk would be less angry if the performance hadn't been so abject. I think he made selection errors. we all make mistakes when starting out in new roles do we not? you really saying that al the great managers got it spot on all the time? Folk are talking about Lennon and McInnes as being able to fix it, just because they know the Scottish game / can shout a bit. we'll never agree mate but I'm not going to let you generalise and spout it as some sort of truth

MikeyS
06-02-2024, 01:39 PM
I think they finished 2nd in the league (11 behind Melbourne City) and essentially won what is a cup competition afterwards.

Top 6 (from 12) qualify for the cup style competition, top 2 get a bye to the 2 legged semi.

Think Melbourne City are considered ‘The Premiers’ for winning the regular season league and CCM are considered ‘The Champions’ for winning the finals series.

A really strange set up.

I hadn't realised this was the set up over there! A nonsense set up that shouldn't be taken seriously never mind poached from!

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2024, 01:43 PM
Tbf you are making some huge presumptions here.

You presume that all those Hibs fans who attended on Saturday agree with you, and you presume to know the mood inside the dressing room and the gaffer’s management style.

Every Hibs fan is frustrated with recent results but that doesn’t mean everything else you say is true.

Not presuming anything.

The silence and empty seats in the second half told me exactly how the fan base is feeling and one look at the players on the pitch told us the players attitude to things.

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2024, 01:43 PM
it's probably pointless even replying to you as your mind is so set and I think from your other posts has been for a while. I think generalising your points and speaking on behalf of the majority of our support isn't your best argument tbh. the crowd on Saturday were rightly having a go at the lack of effort from the players, especially first half. there wasn't a chorus of chanting for monty to go - I was brought up a Newcastle fan and know only too well what a toxic support looks and feels like.

saying he's only managed 65 games before now is just a nonsense thing to say as evidence that he's not able. look at mowbray when he came to u? Docherty at Dundee, the guy at Ipswich who's got them 3rd after promotion. means nothing. you'd rather dismiss his achievement in those games and just focus on the number? bit odd and stinks of you not being prepared to be at all balanced in your argument.

we all want to enjoy going back to ER again and yeah its not been great this season so far - you really think the manager doesn't want that too? you really think he's brought in players with pace and quality to somehow bore us instead? if you stayed to watch the second half (if you were even there?) you'd have seen Moriah welsh and Mayenda play well. if you watched previous games you'd have seen Marcondes and maolida play well too. you might be right about Boyle, but I did wonder whether he was holding back a bit in order not to get injured before the Asian cup...

he may not be that polished in front of the camera but to equate that with his man management skills is bonkers. unlike Johnson (and Lennon and Ross) he hasn't thrown the players under the bus, hasn't hung them out to dry. he has named the lack of effort evident overall and now needs to back it up with changes to the team. fans wanted him to make changes and move folk on - he's done that. my point is that with so much change, he has to be given more than 1-2 games post window to show that the players he has brought in can get better results AND perform better.

I think folk would be less angry if the performance hadn't been so abject. I think he made selection errors. we all make mistakes when starting out in new roles do we not? you really saying that al the great managers got it spot on all the time? Folk are talking about Lennon and McInnes as being able to fix it, just because they know the Scottish game / can shout a bit. we'll never agree mate but I'm not going to let you generalise and spout it as some sort of truth

I was backing NM for a while the last few results changed my mind.

Smartie
06-02-2024, 01:44 PM
Were CCM not pretty much no-hopers before Monty got there though?

Whilst it might be fair to question the merit in the "title win" he oversaw a drastic improvement in a club's fortunes, where the 2nd placed finish would have been unheard of a few years before.

Ok, he's having a tough time and is deservedly under pressure with us but I don't know if it's necessary to diminish what was a very impressive performance at his club over there?

Chorley Hibee
06-02-2024, 01:46 PM
I hadn't realised this was the set up over there! A nonsense set up that shouldn't be taken seriously never mind poached from!

To be fair, it's not much different from play offs in the lower leagues here in Scotland and the UK.

A team in 5th/6th etc can gain promotion at the expense of a side sometimes having finished many points ahead of them.

MikeyS
06-02-2024, 01:56 PM
To be fair, it's not much different from play offs in the lower leagues here in Scotland and the UK.

A team in 5th/6th etc can gain promotion at the expense of a side sometimes having finished many points ahead of them.

That should be scrapped in my opinion too, it's either 1 up 1 down or 2 up 2 down. It should be based on a season long performance not a wee mini round robin tournament.

Fergus52
06-02-2024, 02:03 PM
Can't believe theres posters on here who bemoaned our football under jack Ross but are desperate for McInnes.

Kilmarnock have been good this season in terms of picking up points but whenever I've watched them for a full 90 they've been absolutely terrible to watch - playing for cheap fouls in a a low block and constantly time wasting etc.

Based on what happened under jack Ross I guarantee our fans would hound him out during our first bad run while moaning about poor football.

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 02:07 PM

Whilst it might be fair to question the merit in the "title win" he oversaw a drastic improvement in a club's fortunes, where the 2nd placed finish would have been unheard of a few years before.

Ok, he's having a tough time and is deservedly under pressure with us but I don't know if it's necessary to diminish what was a very impressive performance at his club over there?

this is exactly my point, which you maybe made more succinctly! for me it proves the guy has got good coaching and management skills - things don't always click immediately, doesn't mean you're no good, just means you need to keep trying...

Scotty Leither
06-02-2024, 02:13 PM
Can't believe theres posters on here who bemoaned our football under jack Ross but are desperate for McInnes.

Kilmarnock have been good this season in terms of picking up points but whenever I've watched them for a full 90 they've been absolutely terrible to watch - playing for cheap fouls in a a low block and constantly time wasting etc.

Based on what happened under jack Ross I guarantee our fans would hound him out during our first bad run while moaning about poor football.

IF we’re in a position in the Derby fixture of being 1-0 up and basically shutting them down/kicking and fouling them on the way to preserving a lead that brings us a win, then aye I would trade that for any argument about aesthetics or this mystical “Hibs way” of winning.

McIness brings you that. The latest rabbit in headlights in the dugout I doubt ever will.

JohnM1875
06-02-2024, 02:15 PM

Not sure who they got in to replace Monty, but they're currently second in the league after 16 played and two points off the top. Maybe they're just a good team for that level.

Fergus52
06-02-2024, 02:17 PM
IF we’re in a position in the Derby fixture of being 1-0 up and basically shutting them down/kicking and fouling them on the way to preserving a lead that brings us a win, then aye I would trade that for any argument about aesthetics or this mystical “Hibs way” of winning.

McIness brings you that. The latest rabbit in headlights in the dugout I doubt ever will.

If he was bringing us derby wins and third place finishes I wouldn't be complaining.

I just think as a fan base we'd have no patience with him playing that kind of football if we went on a 3 or 4 game winless run - as seen previously when we had a solid, knows the league, manager playing a vaguely defensive style

Smartie
this is exactly my point, which you maybe made more succinctly! for me it proves the guy has got good coaching and management skills - things don't always click immediately, doesn't mean you're no good, just means you need to keep trying...

I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with him at the moment but I do think the timing of the tide turning on him is harsh and unhelpful (as it was with LJ btw - nonsense keeping him all summer then punting him a few weeks into our season).

His fortunes depend on one or both of his central midfield additions being a success imo, either one beside Newell or both in place of him and Levitt. If he gets a pairing in the middle of the park that he can rely upon then I think every other department then moves up a notch and looks better.

If he's not fixed that department then he'll probably end up being classed alongside all those other managers who have tried and failed to address our midfield woes and paid the price accordingly, whether fairly or otherwise.

Paul1642

His team chucked a 2-0 lead at home to us. Your situation sounds great but how about we bunker down at 1-0 up then loose the lead. Fans will be raging and the Jack ross comparisons are spot on. We hounded him out for not playing exciting football and have never recovered since.

easty
06-02-2024, 02:20 PM

His first season they came 5th on 42 points.
His second season they came 2nd on 44 points.

The season before he was manager they came 3rd, with 42 points.

So he didn't really improve them that much.

Since452
06-02-2024, 02:20 PM

A really strange set up.

Yeah thought it was something like that but wasn't 100% sure

MikeyS
06-02-2024, 02:27 PM
My preference has been McInnes for a few years now but I do get people's concerns around his perceived style.

A few other random names to chuck in based on nowt else but them being available;

Gary Rowett
Ole Solskjaer
Jaap Stam
Martin O'Neill
Chris Hughton
Mick McCarthy
John Eustace
Garry Monk

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 02:29 PM
I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with him at the moment but I do think the timing of the tide turning on him is harsh and unhelpful (as it was with LJ btw - nonsense keeping him all summer then punting him a few weeks into our season).

His fortunes depend on one or both of his central midfield additions being a success imo, either one beside Newell or both in place of him and Levitt. If he gets a pairing in the middle of the park that he can rely upon then I think every other department then moves up a notch and looks better.

If he's not fixed that department then he'll probably end up being classed alongside all those other managers who have tried and failed to address our midfield woes and paid the price accordingly, whether fairly or otherwise.

agreed - I also think that Levitt has shown he's not suited for this league, a bit like Henderson tbh I think he'd do better abroad where he has more time on the ball. from what I saw, Mariah welsh looked good and we also have Amos to come in also who has proven pedigree. if either / both of them step up, I think we look more solid with marcondes up front too. still a worry for me at left back as don't think either lewis or obita are really what we need and I expect miller and mega to fight it out for right back. think Rory needs a wee break. what's obvious is that he has seen the problem and is attempting to fix it. I'd also wonder about playing marcondes in there and playing vente up front...

Since452
06-02-2024, 02:30 PM

That's interesting information i didn't know. Someone said they're currently 2nd. Can't knock the guy for winning the round robin part but seems like he had them at around their usual level?

I do remember the CCM chairman waxing lyrical about him though. I think they turned down an approach from Motherwell for Montgomery before us.

Paul1642
06-02-2024, 02:37 PM
My preference has been McInnes for a few years now but I do get people's concerns around his perceived style.

A few other random names to chuck in based on nowt else but them being available;

Gary Rowett
Ole Solskjaer
Jaap Stam
Martin O'Neill
Chris Hughton
Mick McCarthy
John Eustace
Garry Monk

That fills me with very little excitement at all. Ole Solskjaer is the only one I would be happy with on the face of it.

MikeyS
06-02-2024, 03:00 PM
That fills me with very little excitement at all. Ole Solskjaer is the only one I would be happy with on the face of it.

Aye its not an overly exciting list, I just plucked random British based managers.

Some big names available across Europe but definitely out of our reach financially;

Frank De Boer
Phil Cocu
Marco Bielsa
Javi Gracia
Slav Jokanovic
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Rui Faria

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2024, 03:29 PM

Yeah. They’re currently second with a vastly different squad than the one he left behind and they’re also one of the most succesful teams in the A-League. They’ve either been ‘Premiers’ or ‘Champions’ 4 times in 20 years.

Sydney have 9 combined, Melbourne Victory have 7 combined, Brisbane Roar have 5 combined and CCM and Melbourne City have 4 combined. CCM have also been runners up to the Premiers 3 times and the Champions 3 times.

The idea they had done a Leicester type thing has always been nonsense.

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Yeah. They’re currently second with a vastly different squad than the one he left behind and they’re also one of the most succesful teams in the A-League. They’ve either been ‘Premiers’ or ‘Champions’ 4 times in 20 years.

Sydney have 9 combined, Melbourne Victory have 7 combined, Brisbane Roar have 5 combined and CCM and Melbourne City have 4 combined. CCM have also been runners up to the Premiers 3 times and the Champions 3 times.

The idea they had done a Leicester type thing has always been nonsense.

I had no idea about this.

The chat on here when NM was linked with us was that he took over a tiny team that had never done anything and turned them into Champions within a year.

Turns out that was total BS as you've pointed out.

Keepthefaith
06-02-2024, 04:24 PM
I had no idea about this.

The chat on here when NM was linked with us was that he took over a tiny team that had never done anything and turned them into Champions within a year.

Turns out that was total BS as you've pointed out.

this is actually really disingenuous. if you look at the 6 seasons before he joined their coaching team, they hadn't finished higher than 8th, the previous 3 was 10th, 10, 11th. he reportedly reinvented their youth set up in 2019/20 providing players for the first team. the seasons after he joined CCM they finished 3rd, 5th and 2nd. so actually its not bull**** as much as you want it to be. on that basis I'd say that he has been part of a significant increase in their fortunes.

if we're going to critique him, at least have the decency of getting at least some of the facts right eh?

Willis1875
06-02-2024, 04:30 PM
If we go the route of experience and knowing Scottish football then you have got McInnes who I don’t think would take it and you have got Neil Lennon who could possibly take charge of Ireland shortly,beyond that the list is fairly bleak….Alex Neil….Robinson….Lambert 👀 starting to struggle beyond that

Bakerman
06-02-2024, 04:51 PM
If NM was to go, and I hope he doesn't, and that results and performances improve markedly. I think the McInnes boat has sailed. Lennon at the end of his tenure the last time, if my memory serves me right, had bizarre formations and line ups, and seemed to want away from ER as soon as he could.

When Roy Keane was linked, I was buzzing at the time. Wayne Rooney out of a job, or even Ian Murray might be worth a shout out. It would be great to get a big name in, get the fans on board, excited. Albeit, as said, I really hope NM can turn things around quickly.

Paul1642
06-02-2024, 06:30 PM
If NM was to go, and I hope he doesn't, and that results and performances improve markedly. I think the McInnes boat has sailed. Lennon at the end of his tenure the last time, if my memory serves me right, had bizarre formations and line ups, and seemed to want away from ER as soon as he could.

When Roy Keane was linked, I was buzzing at the time. Wayne Rooney out of a job, or even Ian Murray might be worth a shout out. It would be great to get a big name in, get the fans on board, excited. Albeit, as said, I really hope NM can turn things around quickly.

Roy Keane and Wayne Rooney have been pretty crap managers when given the opportunity. They are only exciting names because the were good players which means nothing in the management world. We need to steer well clear of options like them.

Donegal Hibby
06-02-2024, 06:58 PM
Roy Keane and Wayne Rooney have been pretty crap managers when given the opportunity. They are only exciting names because the were good players which means nothing in the management world. We need to steer well clear of options like them.

:agree:

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2024, 07:04 PM
this is actually really disingenuous. if you look at the 6 seasons before he joined their coaching team, they hadn't finished higher than 8th, the previous 3 was 10th, 10, 11th. he reportedly reinvented their youth set up in 2019/20 providing players for the first team. the seasons after he joined CCM they finished 3rd, 5th and 2nd. so actually its not bull**** as much as you want it to be. on that basis I'd say that he has been part of a significant increase in their fortunes.

if we're going to critique him, at least have the decency of getting at least some of the facts right eh?

The post you’ve quoted was in response to mine. A post that is literally nothing but factual.

They also finished third the season before he took over the first team, a time in which he had no involvement with the first team. You’ve conveniently missed that season out.

He took over a decent team, maintained them being a decent team and won what is essentially a mini cup with them where he played a semi final and a final. Deserves to be applauded for it, but it’s far from being unheard of for CCM, who are the 4th most succesful A-League team and far from being a Leicester style achievement.

Theres nothing disingenuous about that. It’s facts.