PDA

View Full Version : Top six

chrisski33
27-01-2024, 03:00 PM
Does anyone think we will actually finish in the top 6 now this season?

Jones28
27-01-2024, 03:00 PM
It’s half time?

JJP
27-01-2024, 03:02 PM
No.

chrisski33
27-01-2024, 03:09 PM
It’s half time?

Its not based on todays game

VoltaireHibs
27-01-2024, 03:21 PM
I think we need to be looking over our shoulder rather than aiming that high...

AL-Qaholik
27-01-2024, 03:23 PM
We’re just hoping there are 2 teams worse than us.
I’m not sure there are.

Jones28
27-01-2024, 03:24 PM
Ok yeah now we’re out of it.

Jim44
27-01-2024, 03:25 PM
No chance of top 6.

Garymcl
27-01-2024, 03:27 PM
Don’t give a f@@k about top six it’s no big deal and don’t say oh oh we get so much for each position don’t care if we don’t get 3rd or 4th no Europe at least a trip or two for the fans doesn’t matter between 5th and 3rd bottom as long as we don’t get relegated

Winston Ingram
27-01-2024, 03:28 PM
Does anyone think we will actually finish in the top 6 now this season?

Not with this clown in charge

California-Hibs
27-01-2024, 03:30 PM
Nope.

Doh Rae Me
27-01-2024, 03:32 PM
I'm not optimistic on our chances of top 6

DIXIHIBS
27-01-2024, 03:32 PM
Don’t give a f@@k about top six it’s no big deal and don’t say oh oh we get so much for each position don’t care if we don’t get 3rd or 4th no Europe at least a trip or two for the fans doesn’t matter between 5th and 3rd bottom as long as we don’t get relegated

Top 6 and bottom 6 makes a big difference financially. Not many fans think that it doesnt matter if we finish 5th or 10th.

GreenCastle
27-01-2024, 03:43 PM
Not making top 6 is a sackable offence.

With the Hibs budget it's non negotiable.

3rd is gone - Hearts

4th, 5th and 6th - Killie, St Mirren, Dundee Aberdeen or Hibs for these positions.

11 games left after Killie game.

Home - Celtic, Dundee, Livingston, St J, St Mirren, Ross County

Away - Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Ross County

Bold games very tough - so basically leaves 7 other games to get points and see if we can get anything from Bold teams.

Wilson
27-01-2024, 03:48 PM

That attitude is fine if you support Livi or Dundee. We should be aiming for third every year. Top six is barely par. The size of club. The investment. Bottom six should have alarm bells ringing.

chrisski33
27-01-2024, 03:51 PM
Not making top 6 is a sackable offence.

With the Hibs budget it's non negotiable.

3rd is gone - Hearts

4th, 5th and 6th - Killie, St Mirren, Dundee Aberdeen or Hibs for these positions.

11 games left after Killie game.

Home - Celtic, Dundee, Livingston, St J, St Mirren, Ross County

Away - Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Ross County

Bold games very tough - so basically leaves 7 other games to get points and see if we can get anything from Bold teams.
Id say all the teams bar Livi are tough!

chrisski33
27-01-2024, 03:52 PM
Finish bottom 6 with this lot and a higher chance of getting relegated with this lot!

SonOfDavidFrancey
27-01-2024, 04:12 PM
Concentrate on the cup - would be very sweet to win it if hearts run away with 3rd…

xbar81
27-01-2024, 04:22 PM
Concentrate on the cup - would be very sweet to win it if hearts run away with 3rd…

what have you been smoking lol. one round at a time with the cup plz

RIP
27-01-2024, 08:35 PM
That attitude is fine if you support Livi or Dundee. We should be aiming for third every year. Top six is barely par. The size of club. The investment. Bottom six should have alarm bells ringing.

In the past 20 years we have aimed for third in the Premiership every year and we have averaged sixth with the fifth biggest budget.

Not happy to realise that. I also remember our three years in the Championship

matty_f
27-01-2024, 10:46 PM
It's touch and go for top 6, imho. Peri ridiculous situation to be in, given the spend on the team.

Saturday's game against St Mirren is really crucial now, three points are an absolute must. Was much as today's game was two points dropped, getting the point also stopped Killie extending their lead in fourth, which could be vital come the split.

I honestly think it could go either way, we need the new guys to properly lift the quality of the first eleven and start knocking out wins asap.

B.H.F.C
28-01-2024, 06:45 AM
Can’t believe it’s a question, but it’s a valid one with how tight things are. Yesterday was a different performance and saw enough to make me think we’re going to create a hell of a lot more than we have done recently. We mist back it up with a win next week and, if we do that, we’ll be fine IMO.

If we fail, it’ll be down to the neglect of the defence and nothing else IMO.

Trinity Hibee
28-01-2024, 06:59 AM
Ridiculous this is even a possibility given our spend and our size in terms of Scottish football. I don’t expect Hibs to get 3rd every year but when we cant consistently beat the smaller clubs in the league we really have to wonder what is going on. This team have been sleepwalking for 3 seasons now. Just sick of it

1875Sean
28-01-2024, 07:19 AM
11 games to go before the split and I think Monty need to be given them to see if we can stay in the top 6 or not, after the split we need to get 4th or 5th place for a potential European spot

Since452
28-01-2024, 07:52 AM
No chance. Actually thought we slipped out of the top 6 yesterday but somehow we're still in it. Over our last 7 games only Livingston have less points. The teams directly behind us in the league have 2 games in hand as do Ross County in 11th. The way we're playing it'll take a miracle to finish top 6. Unless we get some more players to pull the manager out a hole.

B.H.F.C
28-01-2024, 07:57 AM
No chance. Actually thought we slipped out of the top 6 yesterday but somehow we're still in it. Over our last 7 games only Livingston have less points. The teams directly behind us in the league have 2 games in hand as do Ross County in 11th. The way we're playing it'll take a miracle to finish top 6. Unless we get some more players to pull the manager out a hole.

We were the better side yesterday and should have won the game but for an inability to defend.

Saying there is no chance of us making the top six, when we are in the top six, is just daft. But unsurprising. Was clear yesterday the new players are going to make a big difference to the way we play.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2024, 08:04 AM
Europe should still be the target and is easily achievable.

If we can't manage that, I'll not be too fussed whether we finish 6th or 7th. Either would kinda suck.

Carheenlea
28-01-2024, 08:09 AM
With a strong transfer window and what will be a stronger squad post window if business is still to be done, then I think we’ll comfortably finish in top 6.

Montgomery’s ideals are going through a bit of a wobble of late, but I think his football will prevail in the end and be rewarded with a respectable league record placing.

xbar81
28-01-2024, 08:26 AM
I predict 6th.

1875Sean
28-01-2024, 08:29 AM
Win on Sat against st mirren and we go 5th with a game in hand over them, could be a turning point

matty_f
28-01-2024, 08:50 AM
Win on Sat against st mirren and we go 5th with a game in hand over them, could be a turning point

It's a crucial game - we are running out of games to the split so we don't have much wriggle room for dropping points to the teams around us. Yesterday was two points dropped but stopped Killie pulling away from us which was the worst case scenario.

I think Dundee are one to watch, and Aberdeen are probably looking at the table in the same way we are - potentially top six but just as easily ending up bottom six.

Mikey_1875
28-01-2024, 08:58 AM
Think we have enough for top six as it stands. Commanding centre half and we will be fourth. Probably getting carried away from the end of yesterday but the new guys look the business.

xbar81
28-01-2024, 08:58 AM
Can 5th still get Europe?

Smartie
28-01-2024, 08:59 AM
So much depends on the new players coming in and making an impact - although the early signs are promising.

Without them we’ve got that awful “problems in every department” feeling - not creating enough chances , not taking enough chances, not defending well enough, keeper occasionally wobbly, never really dominating midfield, weak bench.

Last 2 games we’ve created more and it took real guts to dig ourselves out a hole away to a decent side so there are definitely signs of hope.

Signs which could quickly be wiped out if we lose an early goal next week and Easter Road gets as nervous as it can do when things aren’t going our way.

B.H.F.C
28-01-2024, 09:04 AM
It's a crucial game - we are running out of games to the split so we don't have much wriggle room for dropping points to the teams around us. Yesterday was two points dropped but stopped Killie pulling away from us which was the worst case scenario.

I think Dundee are one to watch, and Aberdeen are probably looking at the table in the same way we are - potentially top six but just as easily ending up bottom six.

Couple of games against teams around us in the next few weeks that are absolute must wins; St Mirren and Dundee.

We’ll get nothing from Celtic and avoiding defeat up at Aberdeen would be reasonable enough.

Our run in to the split is actually all right when we play Ross County back to back followed by Livingston in March. Hearts have shown how much one good run can change things for you (like Aberdeen did last year). It’s mental that it’s only 5 games ago for us that we were ahead of them.

Iain G
28-01-2024, 09:12 AM
So much depends on the new players coming in and making an impact - although the early signs are promising.

Without them we’ve got that awful “problems in every department” feeling - not creating enough chances , not taking enough chances, not defending well enough, keeper occasionally wobbly, never really dominating midfield, weak bench.

Last 2 games we’ve created more and it took real guts to dig ourselves out a hole away to a decent side so there are definitely signs of hope.

Signs which could quickly be wiped out if we lose an early goal next week and Easter Road gets as nervous as it can do when things aren’t going our way.

1 or 2 more at the back to address our defensive wobbles and am confident of a top 5 finish. Enough signs yesterday that the new guys help address the gaps in the team and add quality to the squad.

Billy Whizz
28-01-2024, 09:17 AM
Can 5th still get Europe?

Only if one of the top 4 win the cup. 4th is still up for grabs

We may go and win it though😀

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-01-2024, 09:18 AM
We'll be top 6. Fighting with killie and the sheep for 4th

xbar81
28-01-2024, 09:21 AM
Only if one of the top 4 win the cup. 4th is still up for grabs

We may go and win it though😀

Hope so

mcfly
28-01-2024, 09:22 AM
I don’t know where everyone is getting this confidence re finishing 4th.

Clubs know how we will predictably play, any cross ball into the box and it’s panic stations.

We are a bottom 6 side unless we seriously address the defence and highly paid players start performing.

I wouldmr be surprised if we end up 10th with a scare of finishing 11th.

Thankfully Livvy are gone already. Cause with this defence I don’t believe we win many

SickBoy32
28-01-2024, 09:26 AM
Think it’s 50/50 whether we make top 6 or not, need to get results against St Mirren, Dundee and Ross County x 2.

Thrilling stuff battling it out to sneak top 6 😂

mcfly
28-01-2024, 09:35 AM
Saddest thing for me is the fans accept mediocrity - it’s happening far too often.

We have underperformed for years. Our derby record is appalling. We haven’t competed in games v the old firm in seasons.

We really are treading water as a club. I really hope this investment is spent wisely and we really move on upwards.

scoopyboy
28-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Saddest thing for me is the fans accept mediocrity - it’s happening far too often.

We have underperformed for years. Our derby record is appalling. We haven’t competed in games v the old firm in seasons.

We really are treading water as a club. I really hope this investment is spent wisely and we really move on upwards.

What do you want them to do?

Stop going, have protests outside the main stand or what?

I can't say I'm happy with things but I will still buy season tickets and go to Easter Road

Fans can only do so much.

Trinity Hibee
28-01-2024, 09:42 AM

It’s hard to argue with this IMO. Fans accepting mediocrity is when they are quite happy with the players we have at the club (many rate our squad) but it’s failed multiple managers now. We find ourselves outworked and out thought in far too many games nowadays which isn’t acceptable. Recruitment has been very poor for a few years now too. That may change in the near future but it’s where we are just now.

Fans can’t do anything other than pay their money and Hibs fans have stuck by the club well in that regard when it comes to ST’s. This isn’t on the fans but many have to wake up to the fact the current setup is not working

Jones28
28-01-2024, 09:52 AM

I can’t stand that phrase.

One man’s acceptance of mediocrity is another man’s supporting the team, even when they’re at their lowest ebb.

Nobody can quantify what it means to not accept mediocrity. Throw stuff? Boo every touch?

Kentao1985
28-01-2024, 09:54 AM
Think we will get 4th, we're only 6 points off it with a game in hand. We have brought in at least 2 players that are normally above our level. Amos should be starting and Nathans quality is unknown for most. Talks of another 1 or 2 joining before we play St. mirren.

Cadden and Miller will be back soon to strengthen RB with Boyle at RM might make all the difference.

Sent from my moto g32 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-01-2024, 09:56 AM

One man’s acceptance of mediocrity is another man’s supporting the team, even when they’re at their lowest ebb.

Nobody can quantify what it means to not accept mediocrity. Throw stuff? Boo every touch?

Totally agree the last thing imo Hibs as a club or a team is for the fans to get more critical. As you say support the team.

Smartie
28-01-2024, 10:07 AM

I actually think a lot of our problems boil down to the opposite of the accepting of mediocrity - it’s the intolerance of the imperfect and impatience working with what we’ve got to get better.

We’ve failed to back managers through tough spells, we don’t acknowledge the benefits of players with hundreds of games behind them who are nearing the end of their careers, we’re quick to criticise youngsters making their very first steps in the first team etc etc.

Personally, I reckon we’d be in better shape if we just accepted a wee bit more mediocrity along the way.

mcfly
28-01-2024, 10:22 AM
I don’t know the solution - I wish I did.

I just hope we get the defence sorted out and any investment is spent very wisely.

It just seems every season is the same with the same chat on these pages.

Maybe we expect too much ? I don’t know.

Trinity Hibee
28-01-2024, 11:01 AM
I don’t know the solution - I wish I did.

I just hope we get the defence sorted out and any investment is spent very wisely.

It just seems every season is the same with the same chat on these pages.

Maybe we expect too much ? I don’t know.

I don’t think expecting to challenge for 3rd place and minimum top 5 each season is asking too much. We do not do either of those anywhere near enough

ChicoM1875
28-01-2024, 11:07 AM

What should they do? Jack Hibs and glory hunt by following the Old Squirm? That'll show 'em

Jones28
28-01-2024, 11:12 AM
I actually think a lot of our problems boil down to the opposite of the accepting of mediocrity - it’s the intolerance of the imperfect and impatience working with what we’ve got to get better.

We’ve failed to back managers through tough spells, we don’t acknowledge the benefits of players with hundreds of games behind them who are nearing the end of their careers, we’re quick to criticise youngsters making their very first steps in the first team etc etc.

Personally, I reckon we’d be in better shape if we just accepted a wee bit more mediocrity along the way.

Agree with every word Smartie.

ancient hibee
28-01-2024, 11:12 AM
Aberdeen play Dundee on Tuesday so there’s a possibility we could be out of the top six before we play St.Mirren.

Alex Trager
28-01-2024, 11:19 AM

What cab fans do to not accept mediocrity?

Alex Trager
28-01-2024, 11:21 AM

I think this is an issue as well. Calling for managers to leave all the time because of not accepting *****, leads to instability a constant churn and ultimately a lack of success.

greenlex
28-01-2024, 11:32 AM
What do you want them to do?

Stop going, have protests outside the main stand or what?

I can't say I'm happy with things but I will still buy season tickets and go to Easter Road

Fans can only do so much.
I don’t know about you but I’m gonna be stamping my feet if not rolling around on the ground with my arms flailing.

JohnM1875
28-01-2024, 11:37 AM
Think we’ll still finish fourth. Strengthened this window and players coming back from injury/international duty.

Still plenty football to be played.

GreenPJ
28-01-2024, 11:39 AM

Is it really underperformance if its been happening for years.

Ronniekirk
28-01-2024, 11:59 AM
We need to make sure this happens and then fourth more than attainable
Not sure we. Can catch hearts unless Shankland goes and they hit a bad patch losing a few games in a row

DIXIHIBS
28-01-2024, 11:59 AM

We are on our 4th manager in 3 years because the club are NOT accepting mediocrity. Hibs may be making bad decisions, bad signings etc but i dont see anyone accepting mediocrity. Ps supporting your team when playing badly is not acceptance either.

xbar81
28-01-2024, 12:00 PM
We are on our 4th manager in 3 years because the club are NOT accepting mediocrity. Hibs may be making bad decisions, bad signings etc but i dont see anyone accepting mediocrity. Ps supporting your team when playing badly is not acceptance either.

:-) :-)

Since452
28-01-2024, 12:05 PM

I agree with this. You can't fault Kensells ruthlessness in getting rid of managers. It's to be commended actually. You can fault him for appointing then in the first place though. The last time I felt confident that we were in good hands was with Jack Ross despite the poor run. I'd like to have that confidence in a manager again. In a way I was quite excited when we sacked Ross as I thought the bar had been set and we'd get a better manager in. 3 years later were here...

Is It On....
28-01-2024, 12:09 PM
It’s hard to argue with this IMO. Fans accepting mediocrity is when they are quite happy with the players we have at the club (many rate our squad) but it’s failed multiple managers now. We find ourselves outworked and out thought in far too many games nowadays which isn’t acceptable. Recruitment has been very poor for a few years now too. That may change in the near future but it’s where we are just now.

Fans can’t do anything other than pay their money and Hibs fans have stuck by the club well in that regard when it comes to ST’s. This isn’t on the fans but many have to wake up to the fact the current setup is not working

I think you can only really argue that Jack Ross was "failed" by the squad however he (and Mathie) were failed by Kensall and Ron Gordon were desperate too put their only people in
charge. Maloney and Johnson simply were not good enough and it could be argued failed the squad with the jury being out on Montgomery.

greenlex
28-01-2024, 01:07 PM
I agree with this. You can't fault Kensells ruthlessness in getting rid of managers. It's to be commended actually. You can fault him for appointing then in the first place though. The last time I felt confident that we were in good hands was with Jack Ross despite the poor run. I'd like to have that confidence in a manager again. In a way I was quite excited when we sacked Ross as I thought the bar had been set and we'd get a better manager in. 3 years later were here...
I’m not sure Kensell actually wanted to sack Rosswhen he did. The axe came on Gordon’s orders.

Skol
28-01-2024, 01:12 PM

I said when we sacked Ross that those who were pushing for that might live to regret forcing the club to make a change.

Looking back now it’s pretty clear we have suffered from that change. Maloney was the wrong guy but we also didn’t give him time. Johnson was also the wrong guy, but again did we give him time. Montgomery is still to be proven but deserves time and our support.

I feel more positive about Montgomery than the other two, but sometimes I wonder if the days of Ross were really accepting mediocrity that people thought.

Callum_62
28-01-2024, 01:14 PM
I don’t think expecting to challenge for 3rd place and minimum top 5 each season is asking too much. We do not do either of those anywhere near enoughSo you don't accept mediocrity?

What are you doing to not accept it?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

chrisski33
28-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Dunno where folk think we will finish 4th tbh. Think we will be lucky to finish 5th even 6th. Not consistent enough in league. Fair enough scraping a few draws. The next 11 games arent that easy tbh. County, st. J will not be easy to play against.

Carheenlea
28-01-2024, 02:02 PM
So you don't accept mediocrity?

While it’s largely a figure of speech, I think the number of managers we’ve gone through in recent years suggests that we are not accepting mediocrity. When results and performances slip, the support starts to makes its voice heard. Usually at first on the forums before gathering momentum and you start to hear voices of discontent at the games. The boardroom senses the mood and within no time they’re joining in and making another change in an effort to move from the mediocre to something more rewarding.

The regular turnover of managers hasn’t exactly helped us to reach those goals. Perhaps we need to maybe accept mediocrity in the short term to see the fruits of a squad rebuild in the longer term.

Ronniekirk
28-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Dunno where folk think we will finish 4th tbh. Think we will be lucky to finish 5th even 6th. Not consistent enough in league. Fair enough scraping a few draws. The next 11 games arent that easy tbh. County, st. J will not be easy to play against.
Think people are hoping we are now turning the corner with the new additions and thst a win v st Mirren would give us platform to push on and be more consistent

DIXIHIBS
28-01-2024, 04:11 PM

I think the fact we've had a really bad run of results and we're not that far behind. 4th place isn't unrealistic if we start stringing a few results together. 3rd is clearly gone.

Trinity Hibee
28-01-2024, 04:14 PM
So you don't accept mediocrity?

Same as you. I’m just accepting it but not happy about it

Jones28
28-01-2024, 04:27 PM
I’m not sure Kensell actually wanted to sack Rosswhen he did. The axe came on Gordon’s orders.

RG said himself it was a mistake to do it when they did, so I’d assume it was most definitely Ron that made the call.

Basildon Hibs
28-01-2024, 05:11 PM

Every team should be aiming to be first every year - not third !!

Just like in business, you aim to be the best. 😉

LewysGot2
28-01-2024, 05:14 PM
If you’d asked me at HT yesterday after the arse fell out the players once Kilmarnock took a lead - no matter how dodgy the goal was - I’d have telt ye we are not finishing in the top 6 and thank Sauzee for Livi and County.

However, credit where it’s due they turned things round and the clear quality of the new players has me more optimistic. Emi , Myziane and Amos all look improvements on the incumbents. With improved fitness and adjustments to the game here they can only improve things. Boyle, Cadden and others returning will, too. Win next Saturday will be important on a number of fronts.

Ship of Hope
28-01-2024, 05:29 PM
I am confident we will finish in top 6.

greenlex
28-01-2024, 05:31 PM

May your hull always be full.👍💚

Bridge hibs
28-01-2024, 06:00 PM
May your hull always be full.👍💚

And your sails full of wind 👍

Crunchie
28-01-2024, 06:04 PM
We're certanties to finish top 6 are there any bookies out there offering odds?

Just found the odds and we're 4/5.

WeeRussell
28-01-2024, 06:06 PM
We're certanties to finish top 6 are there any bookies out there offering odds?

Evens skybet

Crunchie
28-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Evens skybet
:aok: William Hill wouldn't take my bet haha, SkyBet it is

WeeRussell
28-01-2024, 06:13 PM
:aok: William Hill wouldn't take my bet haha, SkyBet it is

Someone on here might offer you better - if it’s going to take a miracle and we’ve next to no chance, we should be bigger odds 😁

Crunchie
28-01-2024, 06:16 PM
Someone on here might offer you better - if it’s going to take a miracle and we’ve next to no chance, we should be bigger odds 😁
We're certainties to finish top 6. These new signings will propel us up the league.

Crunchie
28-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Evens skybet
They wouldn't take my bet either, I tried placing a grand and took it down a hundred a time to £200 they still wouldn't take it.
They're taking a max of £125, the bookies aren't daft

greenlex
28-01-2024, 06:37 PM
And your sails full of wind 👍

😀

WeeRussell
28-01-2024, 07:49 PM
They wouldn't take my bet either, I tried placing a grand and took it down a hundred a time to £200 they still wouldn't take it.
They're taking a max of £125, the bookies aren't daft

Strange, skybet usually tell you straight away what the max stake is when you put too much in the box?

For instance it’s coming up “max 500” for me if I put more in the box. Just out of curiosity that is, I haven’t put a penny on never mind that sort of radge money 😂

xbar81
28-01-2024, 08:44 PM
Tbh bottom 6 is quite boring if not involved in a relegation dog fight,, which we won't be.

That 6th place is enough to get another 2 old firm games plus a home game v the yams. Big difference between 6th and 7th and we should try to ensure it happens

Gordy M
28-01-2024, 08:50 PM
Im going for us finishing 4th. Under NM we have only lost to old firm and hearts outwith that stupid loss to StJ. I dont think there are any great teams outwith the old firm and teams can win on any given day. I think with the new players we will turn the corner and over take St mirren and Killie.

Nicho87
28-01-2024, 08:54 PM
I just can’t see us getting top six.

As pointed out we actually have a tricky few games particularly away from home.

Our powderpuff defence and weak goalkeeping departments will not improve.

I do like the look of Amos and think that will help and the boy we signed yesterday has a good write up.

However weak defence and style of play we go for hasn’t worked - produced results in the last 6-8 weeks. I just can’t see it changing dramatically. We will a few but we will lose a few.

When you see that lot over the road go on a 8-9 game unbeaten run and winning close to all it’s sickening cause they’re not that good. It’s just we’re woeful in defence.

I predict miss out on top 6 and board review to follow…..

JohnM1875
28-01-2024, 08:59 PM

I do like the look of Amos and think that will help and the boy we signed yesterday has a good write up.

However weak defence and style of play we go for hasn’t worked - produced results in the last 6-8 weeks. I just can’t see it changing dramatically. We will a few but we will lose a few.

When you see that lot over the road go on a 8-9 game unbeaten run and winning close to all it’s sickening cause they’re not that good. It’s just we’re woeful in defence.

I mean, we currently are sixth though. Aye a few teams have games in hand (they also play each other so there's dropped points right away), but their form has surely been as erratic as ours seeing as they are where they are in the league?

Looks like we've improved quite a bit this window, much more than any other team in the league for me. Get them in the first XI and used to playing with the rest of the team and I can't see us not kicking on.

Definitely need to sign a defender though, goes without saying.

xbar81
28-01-2024, 09:05 PM
Let's see how we are after another round of fixtures

B.H.F.C
28-01-2024, 09:05 PM

To be fair, everyone is going to have difficult games between now and the split. Aberdeen, for example, play Rangers and Celtic in the space of a few days next week. And everybody is going to be taking points from each other.

We’ve got the benefit of having the two teams either side of us at home in the next few weeks, St Mirren and Dundee.

Just need to get a win against St Mirren next week and, if we do that, I think we can kick in from there. We actually played reasonably well yesterday at one of those tough away games many would have had down as a defeat.

Nicho87
28-01-2024, 09:19 PM
To be fair, everyone is going to have difficult games between now and the split. Aberdeen, for example, play Rangers and Celtic in the space of a few days next week. And everybody is going to be taking points from each other.

We’ve got the benefit of having the two teams either side of us at home in the next few weeks, St Mirren and Dundee.

Just need to get a win against St Mirren next week and, if we do that, I think we can kick in from there. We actually played reasonably well yesterday at one of those tough away games many would have had down as a defeat.

Agree to be fair

Next week is vital. Your right a win next week and it does change how you look at it. With Celtic on the Wednesday a crucial win must happen this weekend. Absolutely no other result will do if we want to try and push on and have a late charge

Lancs Harp
28-01-2024, 09:31 PM
All about how the new signings settle in and chasing a European spot in what to date has been a highly disappointing season for me. 6 wins in over 20 matches says it all.

Looks promising going forward and i believe we'll have a better second half to the season than the first.

Im far from convinced by Monty but prepared to give him a little time. Not sure Foleys infuence will be as patient

B.H.F.C
28-01-2024, 09:34 PM
Agree to be fair

Next week is vital. Your right a win next week and it does change how you look at it. With Celtic on the Wednesday a crucial win must happen this weekend. Absolutely no other result will do if we want to try and push on and have a late charge

Agree, it has to be a win. We all know about how pish we are defensively, we have been for ages and continue to be. But there were definitely some positive signs yesterday and we actually showed a wee bit character, that I didn’t think we had in us. Just wish Doidge had put his chance away.

Looking at the games between now and the split and the ones we really need to be getting a good number of points from are the home ones against St Mirren, Dundee, Ross County, Livingston and St Johnstone. Got Ross County and Motherwell away as well that you’d like to think are opportunities for points. Just win on Saturday and take it from there.

cubehindthegoal
28-01-2024, 09:37 PM
All about how the new signings settle in and chasing a European spot in what to date has been a highly disappointing season for me. 6 wins in over 20 matches says it all.

Looks promising going forward and i believe we'll have a better second half to the season than the first.

Im far from convinced by Monty but prepared to give him a little time. Not sure Foleys infuence will be as patient

See, I don’t think 6 wins in 20 matches does say it all. I see a bigger picture … I’m not saying I’ll be right … no-one knows that … but

Lancs Harp
28-01-2024, 09:42 PM
See, I don’t think 6 wins in 20 matches does say it all. I see a bigger picture … I’m not saying I’ll be right … no-one knows that … but

Its a result business fella. A very disappointing season for me to date. Encouraged by our recent signings tho so as I said previously hoping and expecting a better second half to the season.

cubehindthegoal
28-01-2024, 09:45 PM
Its a result business fella. A very disappointing season for me to date. Encouraged by our recent signings tho so as I said previously hoping and expecting a better second half to the season.

… and until you have a chance to bring in signings, you can’t turn it around completely … did you see the team alex ferguson inherited at man u ? Night and day to the players he brought in / developed through from youth. … he improved some of them, but most were moved on when he could find better …

xbar81
28-01-2024, 09:45 PM

When did you have a season you were happy with apart from the obvious.

Lancs Harp
28-01-2024, 10:10 PM
When did you have a season you were happy with apart from the obvious.

Up until fairly recently. Qualifying for Europe etc. Are you happy with this season?

Lancs Harp
28-01-2024, 10:14 PM
… and until you have a chance to bring in signings, you can’t turn it around completely … did you see the team alex ferguson inherited at man u ? Night and day to the players he brought in / developed through from youth. … he improved some of them, but most were moved on when he could find better …

With respect mate we're not Manchester United. If youre happy with the "progress" we've made this season then fair enough. Im disappointed with the season to date personally but like im said im hopeful the new signings will improve the team and we'll kick on for a European place.

xbar81
28-01-2024, 10:49 PM
Up until fairly recently. Qualifying for Europe etc. Are you happy with this season?

Not happy at all.. but I am realistic.

We ain't getting much this season but top 6 is possible. Beating hearts at home is possible. A cup run to semis is possible

Gloucester Hibs
28-01-2024, 10:58 PM
I’d be very surprise if we weren’t top 6. Reckon we might get 4th actually, Saturday is a big game.

PHeffernan
29-01-2024, 04:09 AM

Then we play Celtic. Momentum stopper right there.
February is going to be very tough.
If we are still 6th on the 28th we will have done well.
We must win against St Mirren on Saturday to keep up with Kilmarnock.

Crunchie
29-01-2024, 06:49 AM
Strange, skybet usually tell you straight away what the max stake is when you put too much in the box?

For instance it’s coming up “max 500” for me if I put more in the box. Just out of curiosity that is, I haven’t put a penny on never mind that sort of radge money 😂
TBF mate it did, I just didn't see it. I hadn't put that radge amount on with that bookie either. BetVictor used to be my bookie of choice.

RIP
29-01-2024, 08:00 AM
I see a lot of faith placed in the loan signings. Yet the quality of player hasnt been my main concern with Hibs this season.

After hiring our fourth manager in four years I'm yearning for a football department that have the skill and experience to build a squad and offer fans an entertaining brand of football with a settled first eleven.

Under Brian and Nick we seem a million miles off that. Nick was hired because of his reputation of improving players. Yet Vente, Youan and others appear to be regressing, played out of their best position in a negative style of play that's making our eyes bleed.

2 points out of 15 at this point of the season isn't where the fans expected us to be under Montgomery. When the loans go back in May, will we be back at Square One with yet another summer player churn?

That settled squad seems a long way away.

greenlex
29-01-2024, 08:09 AM
Need to be winning more than we don’t. It’s doable but we need to start turning the possession into points starting Saturday. European football is a must if we want to have any chance of keeping our loan players.

Steve20
29-01-2024, 09:03 AM
Not happy at all.. but I am realistic.

We ain't getting much this season but top 6 is possible. Beating hearts at home is possible. A cup run to semis is possible

I don't get this. Winning the cup is a success. Getting to a semi final and no further is not. It means we've lost.

It's why I could never understand people defending Jack Ross when he lost a semi final and a final to St Johnstone. That should have been against him, but people thought just because we reached a final and a semi final, it should be applauded.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2024, 09:13 AM

I am accepting mediocrity, what do i do to not accept it? :confused:

Stubbsy90+2
29-01-2024, 09:25 AM
Reckon we’ll either finish 6th or 7th and we’ve about an equal chance of finishing either.

Can’t see us putting a run together to catch anyone in 4th or 5th and 3rd is long gone.

Ronniekirk
29-01-2024, 09:26 AM
Need to be winning more than we don’t. It’s doable but we need to start turning the possession into points starting Saturday. European football is a must if we want to have any chance of keeping our loan players.
Saturday is the proverbial six pointer and it’s must win if we want to challenge for fourth place

matty_f
29-01-2024, 08:29 PM
I don't get this. Winning the cup is a success. Getting to a semi final and no further is not. It means we've lost.

It's why I could never understand people defending Jack Ross when he lost a semi final and a final to St Johnstone. That should have been against him, but people thought just because we reached a final and a semi final, it should be applauded.

Same with finishing third, no way should Jack Ross have been given credit for finishing third because unless you win the league, you've failed.

Northernhibee
29-01-2024, 08:31 PM
Same with finishing third, no way should Jack Ross have been given credit for finishing third because unless you win the league, you've failed.

Why haven’t we won the Champions League by now?

matty_f
29-01-2024, 08:33 PM
Why haven’t we won the Champions League by now?

Because fans accept mediocrity.

WeeRussell
29-01-2024, 08:33 PM

Yep, and he clearly didn’t do any better than Butcher etc either. In fact, at least they spared us any false hope of winning anything.

Useless **** getting us to semis and finals. Ross even mare out.

matty_f
29-01-2024, 08:35 PM
Yep, and he clearly didn’t do any better than Butcher etc either. In fact, at least they spared us any false hope of winning anything.

Useless **** getting us to semis and finals. Ross even mare out.

Couldn't agree more :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
30-01-2024, 01:49 AM
We will be top six. Probably 4th.

Yorkshire HFC
30-01-2024, 05:02 AM
I am accepting mediocrity, what do i do to not accept it? :confused:

Shout on an internet forum to sack another manager - that's what a real fan does :-)

Musselbound
30-01-2024, 05:50 AM
It's touch and go for the top 6. We draw too many games and concede too many goals. It's been much the same all season so unless new players can make a big difference I don't see much changing. We might scrape in 5th or 6th but there are teams behind us with games in hand. There will need to be an improvement and I'm not that confident.