PDA

View Full Version : Ewan Murray: The continuing decline of sports journalism

Lester B
27-01-2024, 11:57 AM
This morning's Guardian has this gem:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/27/scottish-strugglers-turning-to-english-clubs-for-investment-looks-desperate

Utterly pathetic. Do you think he speaks French too? Maybe he finished this piece and pretended to be a fan of another club on here after a couple of cooking sherries?

Baader
27-01-2024, 12:08 PM
This morning's Guardian has this gem:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/27/scottish-strugglers-turning-to-english-clubs-for-investment-looks-desperate

Utterly pathetic. Do you think he speaks French too? Maybe he finished this piece and pretended to be a fan of another club on here after a couple of cooking sherries?

Just a cyncial bitter Jambo hack. Albeit not a very good one. The face says it all...

Henry Winter, a proper sports journalist, went to Edinburgh University and watched Hibs during his time there.

USA_Hibee
27-01-2024, 12:09 PM
Raging.

Like most hearts fans, worth ignoring.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-01-2024, 12:10 PM
He is absolutely boiling. Pleasing.

Off you pop you golf-****ging, cardigan wearing, bowling club committee member **** that ye are.

Col2
27-01-2024, 12:19 PM
The bitterness is oozing out of him.

He regularly tweets about how bad the game is but is sycophantic about ‘Queen Budge’ and FOH model failing to recognize the millions they have squandered and the ZERO trophies achieved in that time (but TWO relegations!)

Supported Levein to the end (known friend) and has the same weirdness, oddball, loner type way about him.

I actually like the article as given the snide digs it shows how truly bitter he is that Hibs will come along and likely have greater resources over time than the tramps across in gorgie. But hey Budge is building a hotel….so there’s that….

Ozyhibby
Be good to not contribute to his wages by clicking the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickShoes
Comparing this to Mercer in the first line shows he’s not got a clue what he’s even talking about

Carheenlea
27-01-2024, 12:25 PM
I follow him on Twitter largely because his replies to folk who get his name mixed up with Ewen Murray the golf commentator can be quite amusing, and his own golf writing is perfectly fine.

When he turns to football however he just reverts into the archetypal Hearts supporter that we all know of, and comes across as a proper oddball. Just something that goes with the territory of Hearts I guess.

Northernhibee
27-01-2024, 12:28 PM
The peasants are revolting.

They’re also not very happy about the Foley deal.

xbar81
27-01-2024, 12:36 PM
i'm worried he may have a point.

Bishop Hibee
27-01-2024, 12:38 PM
Bitter Hertz fud.

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2024, 12:40 PM

Which is?

xbar81
27-01-2024, 12:41 PM
Which is?

The bit about Scottish clubs and investment from down south.

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2024, 12:42 PM

As opposed to investment from Ireland (Celtic), South Africa (Rangers), the US (us and Aberdeen), Lithuania?

Northernhibee
27-01-2024, 12:44 PM

Right now is a VHS and Betamax moment for Scottish football.

If you don’t accept investment from a bigger club down south and it turns out to be a positive then you’ll be left behind. If you accept it and it is a negative then you’re in trouble.

It’s guesswork which way these investments are going to go, but on the balance of things I’d rather be linked with a club like Bournemouth where we are part of a group of a small handful of clubs than something like the RB group or the Cuty group where we’re a tiny cog in a huge machine.

KeithTheHibby
27-01-2024, 12:45 PM
The Hearts prick blocked me on Twitter years ago. He’s about relevant as my next jobby.

xbar81
27-01-2024, 12:49 PM
The Hearts prick blocked me on Twitter years ago. He’s about relevant as my next jobby.

if you ignore a jobby you will be in trouble. People won't want to sit next to you on the bus

Carheenlea
27-01-2024, 12:51 PM

Bitter Hertz fud.

Is that a reply to Murray or xbar81, or both?

Rumble de Thump
27-01-2024, 12:54 PM

Black Knight Sports and Entertainment are investing in Hibs. Not an English football club. I think the group is based in Las Vegas.

Kato
27-01-2024, 12:56 PM
I'm sure he'll be keeping one eye on Hibs progress.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

DIXIHIBS
27-01-2024, 12:59 PM

😀😀

Cat Stanton
27-01-2024, 01:00 PM
There seems to be a lot of ranting about this - it's on the other thread about the Foley investment. I don't know the journalist and the extent to which he is a jambo or not, but I read the article this morning (before seeing it here) and I didn't have much of an issue with it in terms of the general point about the position of Scottish football relative to England, and current finance trends.

I'm not sure it deserves all this foaming at the mouth?

lyonhibs
27-01-2024, 01:05 PM
A merger with Bournemouth?!? What did I miss?

green day
27-01-2024, 01:09 PM
A merger with Bournemouth?!? What did I miss?

Nothing. It's one reason why this is a valid thread.

Murrays story is hardly journalism, never mind investigative journalism.

He could have cobbled that pish together in between courses at the FOH dinner........

xbar81
27-01-2024, 01:14 PM

easy now. ney need for that

Hiber-nation
27-01-2024, 01:17 PM
easy now. ney need for that

Rumbled. Again

xbar81
27-01-2024, 01:20 PM
Rumbled. Again

very good, these results making us turn on ourselves now is it?

Ewan Murray has never been my favourite person and I blocked him years ago.

green day
27-01-2024, 01:21 PM
very good, these results making us turn on ourselves now is it?

Ewan Murray has never been my favourite person and I blocked him years ago.

You blocked him, then read his article today?

Torto7
27-01-2024, 01:22 PM
Another Jambo F@nny who can't get over the bitterness and act professionally.

xbar81
27-01-2024, 01:23 PM
You blocked him, then read his article today?

read it on here today and it was in another paper. Blocked him a while ago and can't remember why,, other than him being a jamboid and annoying

Aldo
27-01-2024, 01:27 PM

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] you’re not even subtle are you.

Bitter bitter article by a bitter bitter Jambo who is very liberal with his writing, doesn’t like FACT and beLIEves everything that comes out of The Tiniest Park!

Keith_M
27-01-2024, 01:30 PM
It was utterly pathetic and he came across as nothing but a bitter Jambo

He's here!
27-01-2024, 01:30 PM
There seems to be a lot of ranting about this - it's on the other thread about the Foley investment. I don't know the journalist and the extent to which he is a jambo or not, but I read the article this morning (before seeing it here) and I didn't have much of an issue with it in terms of the general point about the position of Scottish football relative to England, and current finance trends.

I'm not sure it deserves all this foaming at the mouth?

Agreed. It's a bit of a Saturday space filler but as you say the general point is reasonable enough. Not really worth getting riled by.

xbar81
27-01-2024, 01:35 PM
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] you’re not even subtle are you.

Bitter bitter article by a bitter bitter Jambo who is very liberal with his writing, doesn’t like FACT and beLIEves everything that comes out of The Tiniest Park!

He sure is

Svengali
27-01-2024, 04:22 PM
He reminds me of Katie Price - a huge fanny

Hibbyradge
27-01-2024, 04:36 PM

What about it worries you?

Keith_M
27-01-2024, 04:52 PM
Rather than read this article in isolation, consider it in the context of what Murray had to say previously about foreign investment, into Hearts, from a certain Mr Romanov.

------------------------------------
"For six years, Romanov has held Hearts' existence in the palm of his hand – and without Ubig's help, this financial basket case would have been shut down long ago. Those who berate Romanov fail to recognise Hearts' desperate state before his arrival."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/oct/29/hearts-scottish-premier-league-football

"Vladimir Romanov's legacy? The nature of it at Heart of Midlothian will be determined by the end of this season. The insistence that such a narrative is guaranteed to be negative towards the Lithuania-based businessman isn't yet entirely correct."

"Just as when Romanov stepped in to remove Hearts from the clutches of Chris Robinson, there is no legitimate prospect of a white knight providing a lucrative counter-bid.

"It is in his defence that Romanov has spent millions of pounds at Tynecastle, and therefore suffered financially more than anyone else associated with the club, but also plainly true that far too much of that resource has been wasted. Hearts are one of few clubs in Scotland who should be fiscally sound, if operated within a sensible cost-base."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/nov/13/foundation-hearts-vladimir-romanov

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2024, 05:57 PM
Pathetic article. English clubs turning to Saudi investment is even more desperate. Unfgortunately, money is (almost) the sole governing mechanism of the game, and you want any kind of success, you have to go where it is.

VoltaireHibs
27-01-2024, 08:17 PM
I didn't actually think the article was that bad. Remove Hibs from the equation and I suspect most would be nodding along.

jacomo
27-01-2024, 08:17 PM
Be good to not contribute to his wages by clicking the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But by clicking the link you are proving there is an audience for Scottish football. The Guardian’s coverage is scant as it is.

Conflicting!

ScottB
27-01-2024, 08:58 PM
I think he’s there mostly as a golf pundit, but seems to get to occasionally write about Scottish football that I suppose nobody else on staff cares to read over.

JimBHibees
27-01-2024, 09:12 PM
I didn't actually think the article was that bad. Remove Hibs from the equation and I suspect most would be nodding along.

Don't think they would and given his previous anti Hibs nonsense and playing along with the Mr Romanov cap doffing he deserves every criticism he gets

xbar81
27-01-2024, 09:17 PM

you'll get called a yam if you say that on here

Rumble de Thump
27-01-2024, 09:22 PM

Probably.

berwickhibee
27-01-2024, 09:24 PM
His.own club is subsidised to the tune of £5million PA🤣

£100,000 a week free money from Anderson, but let's not mention that👍💚

Northernhibee
27-01-2024, 09:30 PM
It is probably difficult to wake up and realise that some decisions will be made for the benefit of Bournemouth or the wider club going forward.

At least we won’t be waking up, looking in the bathroom mirror and looking like someone’s attached Mr. Potatohead parts to their arsecheek.

MagicSwirlingShip
27-01-2024, 09:33 PM
This is what happens when you get locked in a hotel room with no window

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-01-2024, 09:35 PM
Weapon

MKHIBEE
28-01-2024, 05:37 AM
He reminds me of Katie Price - a huge fanny

Pathetic

The Baldmans Comb
28-01-2024, 05:50 AM
All rather uninteresting with a remarkable lack of depth though I cant see what it contains to get so frothed in the mouth about.

Its a token Scottish article written by the "house jock" which will be quickly skimmed over by the English readership.

Kato
28-01-2024, 10:51 AM
At least we won’t be waking up, looking in the bathroom mirror and looking like someone’s attached Mr. Potatohead parts to their arsecheek.

Hilarious and accurate. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Greencore
28-01-2024, 09:12 PM
They're scared.

cubehindthegoal
28-01-2024, 09:28 PM

Isn’t the article showing his hypocrisy v his Romanov “investment” stance.

From what I’ve seen in the past, and now, generally people call others yams when those that they call out have nothing positive to say in relation to Hibs. They may be right, maybe not, but it’s a valid opinion given such evidence.

JimBHibees
28-01-2024, 09:31 PM
Isn’t the article showing his hypocrisy v his Romanov “investment” stance.

Absolutely is

cubehindthegoal
28-01-2024, 09:32 PM
They're scared.

yup

Greensunshine
28-01-2024, 09:51 PM
If it was an anonymous investor, would he be so quick to critique? 🤔

Cat Stanton
28-01-2024, 10:49 PM

It's already happened if you scroll back...

WeeRussell
28-01-2024, 10:58 PM
What about it worries you?

I’m worrying about what you’ve got against investors.

(What a slavering mess of an article)

Victor
28-01-2024, 11:45 PM
Rather than read this article in isolation, consider it in the context of what Murray had to say previously about foreign investment, into Hearts, from a certain Mr Romanov.

------------------------------------
"For six years, Romanov has held Hearts' existence in the palm of his hand – and without Ubig's help, this financial basket case would have been shut down long ago. Those who berate Romanov fail to recognise Hearts' desperate state before his arrival."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/oct/29/hearts-scottish-premier-league-football

"Vladimir Romanov's legacy? The nature of it at Heart of Midlothian will be determined by the end of this season. The insistence that such a narrative is guaranteed to be negative towards the Lithuania-based businessman isn't yet entirely correct."

"Just as when Romanov stepped in to remove Hearts from the clutches of Chris Robinson, there is no legitimate prospect of a white knight providing a lucrative counter-bid.

"It is in his defence that Romanov has spent millions of pounds at Tynecastle, and therefore suffered financially more than anyone else associated with the club, but also plainly true that far too much of that resource has been wasted. Hearts are one of few clubs in Scotland who should be fiscally sound, if operated within a sensible cost-base."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/nov/13/foundation-hearts-vladimir-romanov

Can you post this on the ‘Guardian’ website to show that their impartiality isn’t really that. Will maybe stop anyone of a Hibs bent funding their newspaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J-C
29-01-2024, 01:41 PM

The investment is from an American company, similar to Ron Gordon, you really are very anti Hibs and anything positive about the club, you not missing your chums on keekback.

Keith_M
29-01-2024, 08:34 PM
Can you post this on the ‘Guardian’ website to show that their impartiality isn’t really that. Will maybe stop anyone of a Hibs bent funding their newspaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd live to but there's no comments allowed on the article.

Hardly a surprise, TBH