PDA

View Full Version : Boring

Stuart93
25-01-2024, 12:07 AM
Like robots. No personality. No flair. Nout

Just utter boring on the pitch.

Half of them don’t look like they can be arsed.

Thank god for that good work in Dubai though, right?

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 12:10 AM

I thought some of them had quite a nice tan.

Stuart93
25-01-2024, 12:11 AM
I thought some of them had quite a nice tan.

Aye their ***** by the end of that game

California-Hibs
25-01-2024, 03:20 AM
The way he has us set up is causing a major disconnect from the fans, as you say, absolutely zero pitch personality, it's brutal right now.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 05:20 AM

Genuinely baffles me what folk see in Monty. He’s hopeless

Mikey_1875
25-01-2024, 06:04 AM
It is boring and it’s reflected in the crowd/atmosphere at games. Rangers seemed to know our next move before we had taken a touch, lifted our head and looked around for options. There doesn’t seem to be much cohesion or players knowing instinctively where the other is going to be (not just based on last night). Teams have reset or taken the ball off us before we find a hibs player to pass to.

Saint Hibee
25-01-2024, 06:46 AM
I’m not defending LJ as a manager, but we were significantly more exciting to watch under him.

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 06:57 AM
It is boring and it’s reflected in the crowd/atmosphere at games. Rangers seemed to know our next move before we had taken a touch, lifted our head and looked around for options. There doesn’t seem to be much cohesion or players knowing instinctively where the other is going to be (not just based on last night). Teams have reset or taken the ball off us before we find a hibs player to pass to.

Our goal kicks consist of obita to Marshall, Marshall to fish, fish drive on 20 yards usually ending up in misplaced pass or control from next target

It’s so bad. I do feel like Monty is bringing this on himself now. He’s been coaching this group (core) a while now. We are simply awful, at the current rate and form we won’t get top 6.

Maloney suffered his fate with less investment and less time.

Not a maloney fan either btw

Unseen work
25-01-2024, 09:00 AM
I’m not defending LJ as a manager, but we were significantly more exciting to watch under him.

Said similar last night.

Under LJ I always had a feeling he’d manage to make a sub or tweak the formation to try and change the momentum back in our favour if we were losing.

Whether it be overload the midfield and then people just start flying into tackles which raise the crowd or just giving it to Youan and letting him run.

Under Monty when we go a goal down we never look like getting back into it

Centre Hawf
25-01-2024, 09:05 AM

I've been vocal on my dislike for LJ in the main thread for him. But I have to agree, there was at least a half decent dice roll chance of us being really really good or utterly miserable to watch.

Not saying I yearn for they days back at all but it feels like we've just went two steps back into the always miserable to watch category.

overdrive
25-01-2024, 09:16 AM
I've been vocal on my dislike for LJ in the main thread for him. But I have to agree, there was at least a half decent dice roll chance of us being really really good or utterly miserable to watch.

Not saying I yearn for they days back at all but it feels like we've just went two steps back into the always miserable to watch category.

I hated LJ but at least he was willing to change things. Montgomery's inflexibility is my main concern about him. Much more so than 4-4-2. OK, 4-4-2 is his favoured set-up but it won't work in every game, just like 3-5-2 won't work in every game, or if you don't have the personnel for it. Recognise that and change it. He doesn't.

It is definitely boring. It is like Fenlon and Maloney all over again. Passing around for the sake of passing around. You need some purpose to what you are doing. This isn't purpose. His one purposeful tactic is the goal kicks with the intent on creating space in the midfield. Teams have got wise to it.... don't commit players to hound down Marshall. Just let us kick it around the goalkeeper, defence and Levitt. We won't do anything with it 9 times out of 10 and will easily give up position soon. I don't know why teams didn't realise this sooner. Its obvious.

Edit: at least with Maloney we seemed somewhat defensively competent. We don't under NM.

Lago
25-01-2024, 09:19 AM
Ah, the redemption of LJ is underway.

Since452
25-01-2024, 09:26 AM
It was really summed up for me in the Motherwell game where we were pretty good for 30 minutes. What did the Pep Guardiola of Scottish football Kettelwell do? He changed it and we struggled thereafter. Montgomery simply wont. It'll see him gone before the season is out.

overdrive
25-01-2024, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't say that. He deserved to go. He was crap too. Just a different kind of crap to NM.

Greenbeard
25-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Unpredictability wins games and we are as predictable as as my old lady having a headache tonight. So predictable that the team ranked 40/42 league clubs can read us and give us a tough game.

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2024, 09:38 AM
Unpredictability wins games and we are as predictable as as my old lady having a headache tonight. So predictable that the team ranked 40/42 league clubs can read us and give us a tough game.

Good players playing in their best positions win games

RossScott1991
25-01-2024, 09:43 AM
Lee Johnson was rubbish in his own unique ways (being a slaver being one of the main ones)

Monty has been rubbish in his own ways (being the only football manager in the world that only knows 1 formation)

LJ deserved the sack
Monty deserves the sack.

There’s been literally no improvement . Only improvement has been not slavering as much rubbish to media he carries himself better in that department.

But little evidence now between the two to what’s on the park

h185forever
25-01-2024, 10:11 AM
Given the level of player we have and can attract, we won’t improve until we get a manger who knows the Scottish game and can set us up to get the best out of what we have, against the rest.

All the other teams know how we play …it never changes and its so slow…so we are easy targets for everyone.

Given all the state of the art monitoring we do on players and the fantastic training facilities we have at EM, why do we often look so unfit with players blowing out their erses before HT. it seems like we can only play at full pace for about 20 of the 90 minutes and if we haven’t scored 2-3 goals …..you know the outcome.

I know a lot won’t agree but I’d close EM for a bit because I think it’s a contributing factor to the lazy, soft as ******, players we now have. If EM is used to attract new players then I’d suggest we are attracting the wrong type of player, ones who are looking for an easy life.

There aren’t many left in the current squad who seem like they care if we win or lose..and that’s sad.

If for no other reason than his post match comments I think alarm bells should be ringing in the board room as it’s the same nonsense as the previous 2 managers. He doesn’t seem to see the same game as a lot of the fans do.

I think his coat peg has become more and more shooglie over the last few weeks, although I think he will survive till nearer the end of the season……unless we go into freefall.

thebausburst
25-01-2024, 10:15 AM
Lee Johnson was rubbish in his own unique ways (being a slaver being one of the main ones)

Monty has been rubbish in his own ways (being the only football manager in the world that only knows 1 formation)

LJ deserved the sack
Monty deserves the sack.

There’s been literally no improvement . Only improvement has been not slavering as much rubbish to media he carries himself better in that department.

But little evidence now between the two to what’s on the park

Hibs fans to the board when LJ was in charge, ‘this is the worst Hibs manager I’ve ever seen’, Hibs board ‘hud ma coat’……

Greenbeard
25-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Given the level of player we have and can attract, we won’t improve until we get a manger who knows the Scottish game and can set us up to get the best out of what we have, against the rest.

All the other teams know how we play …it never changes and its so slow…so we are easy targets for everyone.

Given all the state of the art monitoring we do on players and the fantastic training facilities we have at EM, why do we often look so unfit with players blowing out their erses before HT. it seems like we can only play at full pace for about 20 of the 90 minutes and if we haven’t scored 2-3 goals …..you know the outcome.

I know a lot won’t agree but I’d close EM for a bit because I think it’s a contributing factor to the lazy, soft as ******, players we now have. If EM is used to attract new players then I’d suggest we are attracting the wrong type of player, ones who are looking for an easy life.

There aren’t many left in the current squad who seem like they care if we win or lose..and that’s sad.

If for no other reason than his post match comments I think alarm bells should be ringing in the board room as it’s the same nonsense as the previous 2 managers. He doesn’t seem to see the same game as a lot of the fans do.

I think his coat peg has become more and more shooglie over the last few weeks, although I think he will survive till nearer the end of the season……unless we go into freefall.
Don't see any benefit in that but maybe we'd have been better doing what FC Midtjylland did recently instead of the Dubai trip?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxvxxdekzpo

I'd suggest that building some fight, team spirit, and weeding out the me-me-me softies would be more valuable at the moment, given where we are, than fancy technical stuff and patterns of play in sunny climes, which on the evidence of the last two games hasn't made a jot of a difference.

ErinGoBraghHFC
25-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Don't see any benefit in that but maybe we'd have been better doing what FC Midtjylland did recently instead of the Dubai trip?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxvxxdekzpo

I'd suggest that building some fight, team spirit, and weeding out the me-me-me softies would be more valuable at the moment, given where we are, than fancy technical stuff and patterns of play in sunny climes, which on the evidence of the last two games hasn't made a jot of a difference.

Imagine the uproar if Hibs players were being paid to shoot wild animals, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedantic_Hibee
25-01-2024, 11:12 AM
Imagine the uproar if Hibs players were being paid to shoot wild animals, though

It’s fine, we’d miss.

Wheat Hound
25-01-2024, 11:13 AM

It's ok we'd miss the target anyway...

Wheat Hound
25-01-2024, 11:16 AM
It’s fine, we’d miss.

Damn you! 😄

Exuberance1875
25-01-2024, 11:25 AM
NM come out and said we kept going, must admit I did not see that in any way, completely gave in and were pedestrian for most of the game at 2-0.

I know he can’t come out and hammer the players but would appreciate if he didn’t lie so blatantly, perhaps I am wrong

Carheenlea
25-01-2024, 11:26 AM
Last night was boring simply because of our lack of a clinical edge around the box.

An encouraging enough start which had you thinking this could be a decent game here, but with every scorned chance or positive looking play breaking down in the box before getting a shot in, with Rangers sticking away a couple of theirs the match was effectively gone.

One glimmer right after half time - a golden chance to get right back in it, change the narrative of the game and make a real contest, but as that one slipped by the second half was just basically waiting for Rangers’ third so we could all just get away home.

The style of play itself wouldn’t feel as boring if we were getting the goals through the openings and chances that it creates. As the goals have dried up the game naturally turns into a chore to watch.

Manxhibs
25-01-2024, 11:34 AM
This team doesn’t even offer me any opportunities to get animated these days. Strikers are isolated, midfield is a non event and it’s like my eyes are bleeding when I have to watch us pass it side to side at the back.

I’m 35 and I don’t remember being less enthused by the team. It says it all when I wouldn’t be disappointed if any of them left, it’s just woeful.

Greenwich_Hibby
25-01-2024, 12:08 PM
This is Auld and Butcher rolled into one, mind-numbingly dull, pedestrian and negative. Dire. Needs to change or he's gone. The post match interview was embarrassing.

overdrive
25-01-2024, 01:19 PM
Last night was boring simply because of our lack of a clinical edge around the box.

An encouraging enough start which had you thinking this could be a decent game here, but with every scorned chance or positive looking play breaking down in the box before getting a shot in, with Rangers sticking away a couple of theirs the match was effectively gone.

One glimmer right after half time - a golden chance to get right back in it, change the narrative of the game and make a real contest, but as that one slipped by the second half was just basically waiting for Rangers’ third so we could all just get away home.

The style of play itself wouldn’t feel as boring if we were getting the goals through the openings and chances that it creates. As the goals have dried up the game naturally turns into a chore to watch.

The guy behind me said as soon as Maolida missed that chance "that's it, our heads will go down" - and he was right.

Keith_M
25-01-2024, 01:52 PM

I don't think many people are saying that, it's more like 'setting a low bar' as a way of comparison.

basehibby
25-01-2024, 02:00 PM

I used to stick up for LJ for precisely that reason - he may have had some shortcomings but the football we were watching under LJ was visibly more direct, more attacking and more effective than his predecessor in Maloney. His chief detractors will no doubt be on here to deny this but they would be delusional as the facts are spelled out in the match reports of that time when it was normal to see Hibs raining 20-odd shots upon the opposition goal.

I now feel quite exasperated as we have effectively gone full circle and are back to watching the same kind of over-laboured non-penetrative tippy-tappy borefest that got Maloney sacked. I really do hope that Monty does have an attainable vision that will see our team start producing convincing performances and results to match. He'd better hurry up though - as a support and as a club we are not renowned for our patience with managers!

Frazerbob
25-01-2024, 03:31 PM
The game is goosed. Every week it’s like watching a 90 minute passing drill, waiting on the mistakes that’ll cost a goal. Dull AF. Oh for the halcyon days of the 80’s when the players had half the ability, a tenth of the wages but infinitely more passion.

familyman
25-01-2024, 03:55 PM
Montgomery is NOT playing the Hibs way..We were again at home yet we played like we had little idea or belief..yet again we lacked ideas and this make no mistake wasa one sided affair,Hibs were like a reserve team and ot was a practice match for Rangers....Hibs were well assessed by Stuart Lovell on PPV which i had to resort to due to ill health so unable to take up my season ticket seat.
This standard is WAYWAY belwo what we should be getting and the attitude is totally wrong ,players still unsure of how to cover each others back
Managers view did not reflect the total dominance Rangers had ,they were never ever really pressed and that is a disgrace at home...Talk is cheap.

Hibees1973
25-01-2024, 04:09 PM

Maybe your comment is tongue in cheek, but that's a bit of a stretch.

I'm still with Montgomery, just. However, if these performances continue then he will be binned in the same fashion as Johnson and Maloney.

If Montgomery goes and after the farce of the previous two appointments it will be clear there fundamental problems in the structure of the club and the guys who have appointed these managers.

Hibernia&Alba
25-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Genuinely baffles me what folk see in Monty. He’s hopeless

I’m not mad about him thus far either, but what can we do? We can’t keep changing manager two or three times per season and starting over yet again. Our level means we are never going to get a top drawer manager, and even if we find a gem, he will soon be poached by a bigger club. Our recent history of mangers shows it’s difficult to find the right fit.

FWIW, I will be surprised if Monty is here this time next year, but who next?

Pretty Boy
25-01-2024, 04:25 PM
It's really dull but then I've felt like that about Hibs and football in general for a long while now.

There's a big wilderness in football between the very top and the very bottom in which football has changed beyond recognition and not for the better. Over coached, overly regimented and overly reliant on stats.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 04:44 PM
people need to get a grip. Rangers are serious league contenders and they are much better than us. Was not surprised in the least by the result last night, the manager can't work miracles.

I'd keep him till the summer and then shop around. Will also depend if we make the top 6 or not and also if we get to the late stages of the cup.

May21/05/16
25-01-2024, 04:53 PM
people need to get a grip. Rangers are serious league contenders and they are much better than us. Was not surprised in the least by the result last night, the manager can't work miracles.

I'd keep him till the summer and then shop around. Will also depend if we make the top 6 or not and also if we get to the late stages of the cup.Agree

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
25-01-2024, 04:58 PM

I'd keep him till the summer and then shop around. Will also depend if we make the top 6 or not and also if we get to the late stages of the cup.

Compare it to the Premier League. Last night, Liverpool are league contenders and much better than Fulham. Do you think their manager goes 'right lads, 442 - give them the midfield and good luck defending'?

The result isnt a surprise, however the formation is bonkers and performance woeful. There is no reason for us to be mediocre pish in this league, but we are and have been for a long long time.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:05 PM
Compare it to the Premier League. Last night, Liverpool are league contenders and much better than Fulham. Do you think their manager goes 'right lads, 442 - give them the midfield and good luck defending'?

The result isnt a surprise, however the formation is bonkers and performance woeful. There is no reason for us to be mediocre pish in this league, but we are and have been for a long long time.

is there some super formation that he's not doing?

Changing it might make it even worse tbh. Really don't have any answers but 442 is fine with me if we can beat teams outwith the old firm. We were neck n neck with Hearts till the end and we'll beat other non old firm teams going forward.

did we not match Celtic fine earlier this season?? was happy with that one

Stuart93
25-01-2024, 05:08 PM
I’m depressed today

Stuart93
25-01-2024, 05:10 PM

See if accept this if other teams never gave them a game who also have a fraction of their budget but we don’t even make it difficult for them.

I was outside the away stand when the rangers fans were leaving and a few times I heard “that’s the easiest game we’ve had at Easter road in years”

We aren’t asking to beat them but at least make it difficult we don’t even do that

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:12 PM
I’m depressed today

Cheer up.

6 nations starting soon
Scotland made it to the Euros
Hearts probably won't win the cup

buktapurple79
25-01-2024, 05:31 PM
Cheer up.

6 nations starting soon - hate rugger - Yam establishment game
Scotland made it to the Euros - we won't make Europe with Montgomery in charge
Hearts probably won't win the cup - we probably won't either

:wink: still annoyed the day, we should've done better last night

Real Emerald
25-01-2024, 05:32 PM

Come on, we didn’t even compete or look like we had a clue what we were doing. Silly tactics which played right into their hands. The players we have are not good enough but the managers not got a clue how to even make it difficult for rangers. Get a grip right enough.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:36 PM
:wink: still annoyed the day, we should've done better last night

leave the yams out of the rugger. Wouldn't want them associated with the lovely game of rugby.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:40 PM
Come on, we didn’t even compete or look like we had a clue what we were doing. Silly tactics which played right into their hands. The players we have are not good enough but the managers not got a clue how to even make it difficult for rangers. Get a grip right enough.

cause Rangers had our number and have better players, better manager, better motivation.

Need to see if Monty can beat the non old firm teams. If he can't compete with them then he should go.

fk knows who we will bring in next, who would want the job? Can't see anyone wanting to apply to manage hibs other than some of our ex players like Ian Murray or Scott Brown when he's ready.

Shall we give Frank Sauzee another shot? :not worth

brianmc
25-01-2024, 05:43 PM
leave the yams out of the rugger. Wouldn't want them associated with the lovely game of rugby.

"Yams" and "rugger" are two red flags IMO.
Tells me all I need to know about your assessment of Hibs under Montgomery.

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2024, 05:45 PM
cause Rangers had our number and have better players, better manager, better motivation.

Need to see if Monty can beat the non old firm teams. If he can't compete with them then he should go.

fk knows who we will bring in next, who would want the job? Can't see anyone wanting to apply to manage hibs other than some of our ex players like Ian Murray or Scott Brown when he's ready.

Why should they have better motivation?

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:46 PM
"Yams" and "rugger" are two red flags IMO.
Tells me all I need to know about your assessment of Hibs under Montgomery.

nothing to do with Monty lol. Was changing the subject to something that's starting next month and I happen to be a big rugby fan when this tournament is on. Maybe something to do with watching it in the pub I must admit :greengrin

Real Emerald
25-01-2024, 05:47 PM

There’s no fight, no leaders, no passion and trying to compete with the old firm tippy tapping around the 18 yard line is a recipe for disaster. Regardless of how poor our squad is the manager looks naive, stubborn and incompetent of making use of what he’s got. Even if he was getting successful results, it’s like watching a chess match. That is not football or at least the type of football I’m paying £400 a season to watch.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2024, 05:51 PM
nothing to do with Monty lol. Was changing the subject to something that's starting next month and I happen to be a big rugby fan when this tournament is on. Maybe something to do with watching it in the pub I must admit :greengrin

Rugby fans get looked after like royalty in pubs for 5 weekends of the year and then are never seen again for another year, I don't get it.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:51 PM
There’s no fight, no leaders, no passion and trying to compete with the old firm tippy tapping around the 18 yard line is a recipe for disaster. Regardless of how poor our squad is the manager looks naive, stubborn and incompetent of making use of what he’s got. Even if he was getting successful results, it’s like watching a chess match. That is not football or at least the type of football I’m paying £400 a season to watch.

Shaun Maloney
Lee Johnson

were they naive as well?

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Rugby fans get looked after like royalty in pubs for 5 weekends of the year and then are never seen again for another year, I don't get it.

Probably because there is only 5 matches per year so it will feel special. If it was every week it wouldn't be so massive.

I know of a mate who runs a pub and he says the pub wouldn't make the money it makes without those 2 or 3 weekends per year that the rugby crowd is up. The amount spent on drink during home games is that much it balances the books.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 05:58 PM
Why should they have better motivation?

do you mean rangers??? got a league to win of course. Every point is crucial.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 06:14 PM
I’m not mad about him thus far either, but what can we do? We can’t keep changing manager two or three times per season and starting over yet again. Our level means we are never going to get a top drawer manager, and even if we find a gem, he will soon be poached by a bigger club. Our recent history of mangers shows it’s difficult to find the right fit.

FWIW, I will be surprised if Monty is here this time next year, but who next?

I think you stick with Managers if give you the slightest inkling that they can turn things around.

I can’t see anything with him

His tactics are awful, dated and clearly not working and he’s already said he won’t be changing them
The football is slow and predictable
Opposing managers have completely worked him out
We no longer look like scoring goals, despite a very expensive attack.
He’s ruined our best players
The players don’t seem to be playing for him
His post match press conferences are absolutely bat**** mental. He’s turned into a rambling idiot and his match summaries are nothing like the games we’ve all just watched.
Results are terrible, our form is terrible and we are getting worse.

The only positives I can see from his reign is that he started picking Jair and Marshall’s form has improved. That’s it.

This team qualified for Europe last year there’s absolutely no doubt he has made it worse.

greenlex
25-01-2024, 06:15 PM
Folk are only bored because we aren’t scoring. If. We take a couple of our chances last night and boring wouldn’t be coming into it.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 06:18 PM
Folk are only bored because we aren’t scoring. If. We take a couple of our chances last night and boring wouldn’t be coming into it.

We’re bored cos we don’t make many chances or even look like making any chances.

LaMotta
25-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Remember the halcyon days of some fans deciding they were bored by Jack Ross getting us to third in the table and to Hampden more times in 2 years than we did in 2 decades between the 80s and 90s?

And then our hierarchy listening to these people and sacking him a week before he was due to lead us out in a cup final?

If those people were bored then **** knows how they are feeling now.

greenlex
25-01-2024, 06:27 PM
We’re bored cos we don’t make many chances or even look like making any chances.
There were two really good chances we should be burying and a penalty not given just off the top of my baldy napper last night.

Real Emerald
25-01-2024, 06:29 PM
Shaun Maloney
Lee Johnson

were they naive as well?

They were pish … as well. Unfortunately it’s a pattern.

The Modfather
25-01-2024, 06:38 PM
I think you stick with Managers if give you the slightest inkling that they can turn things around.

I can’t see anything with him

His tactics are awful, dated and clearly not working and he’s already said he won’t be changing them
The football is slow and predictable
Opposing managers have completely worked him out
We no longer look like scoring goals, despite a very expensive attack.
He’s ruined our best players
The players don’t seem to be playing for him
His post match press conferences are absolutely bat**** mental. He’s turned into a rambling idiot and his match summaries are nothing like the games we’ve all just watched.
Results are terrible, our form is terrible and we are getting worse.

The only positives I can see from his reign is that he started picking Jair and Marshall’s form has improved. That’s it.

This team qualified for Europe last year there’s absolutely no doubt he has made it worse.

You keep making the point we qualified for Europe last season, which we did. We finished 5th, and are 6th now. The trend is downwards though it must be acknowledged.

You only have to look at the bench for the whole of Monty’s time here to see it’s not quite a fair comparison to say the squad last season achieved 5th so we should be doing better. Monty has had about 13 or 14 senior players to choose from all season. His benches have been padded out by kids so little to no options to make subs or drop players. Last season we didn’t have to play 16 year olds at RB or play a left back at centre back owing to lack of bodies, never mind looking at the quality of those players available.

Monty deserves criticism for lots of elements but the squad is as big a part of the problem IMO. For all it achieves something, it proves it then falls off a cliff the following season. 3rd under Ross, 7th (maybe even 8th can’t remember) the next season and two managers sacked. 5th last season, another big drop off performance wise this season which has already got 1 manager sacked and another starting to come under pressure despite only having been able to sign 3 loan players a few days ago.

Monty or not, the next man is onto a similar hiding to nothing if he can’t drastically overhaul the squad.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 06:41 PM
You keep making the point we qualified for Europe last season, which we did. We finished 5th, and are 6th now. The trend is downwards though it must be acknowledged.

You only have to look at the bench for the whole of Monty’s time here to see it’s not quite a fair comparison to say the squad last season achieved 5th so we should be doing better. Monty has had about 13 of 14 senior players to choose from all season. His benches have been padded out by kids so little to no options to make subs or drop players. Last season we didn’t have to play 16 year olds at RB or play a left back at centre back owing to lack of bodies, never mind looking at the quality of those players available.

Monty deserves criticism for lots of elements but the squad is as big a part of the problem IMO. For all it achieves something, it proves it then falls off a cliff the following season. 3rd under Ross, 7th (maybe even 8th can’t remember) the next season and two managers sacked. 5th last season, another big drop off performance wise this season which has already got 1 manager sacked and another starting to come under pressure despite only having been able to sign 3 loan players a few days ago.

Monty or not, the next man is onto a similar hiding to nothing if he can’t drastically overhaul the squad.

so in a nutshell we are just pish?

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2024, 07:08 PM
do you mean rangers??? got a league to win of course. Every point is crucial.

And we’ve got Europe to aim for. Motivation should never be an issue

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Probably because there is only 5 matches per year so it will feel special. If it was every week it wouldn't be so massive.

I know of a mate who runs a pub and he says the pub wouldn't make the money it makes without those 2 or 3 weekends per year that the rugby crowd is up. The amount spent on drink during home games is that much it balances the books.

That's a shame for the regulars that are there consistently throughout the year when there are clashes with football screenings.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 07:11 PM
And we’ve got Europe to aim for. Motivation should never be an issue

lot of things "should" happen. Doesn't mean they will.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 07:17 PM
That's a shame for the regulars that are there consistently throughout the year when there are clashes with football screenings.

nah. the rugby on the box is a great day out in the pub for atmosphere. If you want a quiet night go to a non sporty pub :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
25-01-2024, 07:18 PM
Remember the halcyon days of some fans deciding they were bored by Jack Ross getting us to third in the table and to Hampden more times in 2 years than we did in 2 decades between the 80s and 90s?

And then our hierarchy listening to these people and sacking him a week before he was due to lead us out in a cup final?

If those people were bored then **** knows how they are feeling now.

I was bored stiff back then.

I’m infinitely more bored now though. This is absolutely brutal stuff.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2024, 07:25 PM
There were two really good chances we should be burying and a penalty not given just off the top of my baldy napper last night.

Chances wasn’t an issue last night. Youan at the start, his header later in the half and Maolida at the start of the second half are as good opportunities as you’ll get against them. Similarly in the derby one striker missed a couple of chances inside the box and the other missed a penalty.

I’m no saying we’re particularly good (we’re crap) and I’m no saying we create loads (we don’t) but it’s no all tactical, our forward players aren’t doing enough with the ball when they do have it.

Couple that with a complete inability to keep the ball out at the other end and we’re ****ed.

SeanWilson
25-01-2024, 07:32 PM
Chances wasn’t an issue last night. Youan at the start, his header later in the half and Maolida at the start of the second half are as good opportunities as you’ll get against them. Similarly in the derby one striker missed a couple of chances inside the box and the other missed a penalty.

I’m no saying we’re particularly good (we’re crap) and I’m no saying we create loads (we don’t) but it’s no all tactical, our forward players aren’t doing enough with the ball when they do have it.

Couple that with a complete inability to keep the ball out at the other end and we’re ****ed.

every single game right now makes me think of a junior team coming up against a professional team.

We constantly fanny about with the ball up to the halfway line, dont recycle, lose it and put ourselves under pressure. We will now and again get it to Youan, who will (90%) of the time fanny about with it and lose it. Thats about as far as the game goes.

The space we allow the opposition is mental and we must be the most lightweight non competitive team in the league.

Stuart93
25-01-2024, 07:48 PM
Watched the highlights back.

How much ****ing time did they get in the midfield?

Getting to the edge of our box at times completely unchallenged or by making one pass

****ing staggeringly bad

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2024, 07:51 PM
Watched the highlights back.

How much ****ing time did they get in the midfield?

Getting to the edge of our box at times completely unchallenged or by making one pass

****ing staggeringly bad

Comes from how big a gap there is between our midfield and forwards. Leaves a massive gap that any decent midfielder will exploit. In fact, not only decent midfielders, pretty much anybody at any level

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 08:52 PM

You only have to look at the bench for the whole of Monty’s time here to see it’s not quite a fair comparison to say the squad last season achieved 5th so we should be doing better. Monty has had about 13 or 14 senior players to choose from all season. His benches have been padded out by kids so little to no options to make subs or drop players. Last season we didn’t have to play 16 year olds at RB or play a left back at centre back owing to lack of bodies, never mind looking at the quality of those players available.

Squad strength seems like a flimsy excuse when the manager's had his pick had pretty much his first choice available all season. Unlike the Premier League or Championship who play every 3 or 4 days, we pretty much play 1 game a week most weeks.

As for injuries, the only major starter missing has been Levitt. Other injuries, to McKirdy, Le Fondre, and JDH, they aren’t first choice.

In comparison to last year, we lost Nisbet & Kukharevych but they only started 10 games each. This year, Boyle's back, Vente's in, and we’ve also brought in Obita and Levitt.

Depth isn't the culprit, it's the mishandling of the starting eleven that's ****ed us.

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 08:56 PM
Mcinnes

Should have got the gig when Monty got it

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

Just a manager with proven spfl record with a half decent winning record

I’m done with Monty

Frazerbob
25-01-2024, 09:00 PM
It's really dull but then I've felt like that about Hibs and football in general for a long while now.

There's a big wilderness in football between the very top and the very bottom in which football has changed beyond recognition and not for the better. Over coached, overly regimented and overly reliant on stats.

Over coached and too reliant on stats....nail on the head.

I don't blame Marshall for the third last night, I blame Monty for insisting he plays out EVERY SINGLE TIME! If I had my way, first thing I'd do is bin the data recording vests they all wear. Who cares how many yards they run? Not one supporter that's for sure. We care about winning and entertaining. Wonder what Chic Charnley's stats would've been like..........

Bridge hibs
25-01-2024, 09:01 PM
Mcinnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

I’m done with MontyCool bro 👍

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 09:08 PM
Cool bro 👍

Why a condescending reply

Just leave it, bro

500miles
25-01-2024, 09:26 PM
Mcinnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

I’m done with Monty

I was a Jack Ross fan, but I'm not sure "like Jack Ross, but a *** " will get much grace if we hit a sticky patch or end up with injuries

* Given the complaints about Rangers fans in hospitality, I'm not sure how a ban on the 3 letter word for ruddy faced, Catholic hating cousin lovers will go down!

DH1875
25-01-2024, 09:39 PM
Mcinnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

I’m done with Monty

He wouldn't get the time he's had at Killie.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 09:44 PM

Monty’s had 20 games shown nothing to suggest he knows what he’s and we’re getting *****r by the game.

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 10:00 PM

Killie's squad needed rebuilt from the ground up. McInnes has done a great job there. Four of five of the Killie squad would currently walk into our team. Easily.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2024, 10:04 PM
nah. the rugby on the box is a great day out in the pub for atmosphere. If you want a quiet night go to a non sporty pub :greengrin

I'm not looking for a quiet night, just the football to be shown for the folk that are in the pub every week to watch it.

Pagan Hibernia
25-01-2024, 10:13 PM
Monty’s had 20 games shown nothing to suggest he knows what he’s and we’re getting *****r by the game.

Done with managers after 20 games.

Sums Hibs, and football, up these days

1875Sean
25-01-2024, 10:24 PM
Killie's squad needed rebuilt from the ground up. McInnes has done a great job there. Four of five of the Killie squad would currently walk into our team. Easily.

Which four or five are that? I’d give you one or two max

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 10:55 PM
Which four or five are that? I’d give you one or two max

Off the top of my head I'd say Armstrong, Findlay, Vassel and probably Kennedy. And a fit Magennis 😉

They all produce regularly for their team. Joe Wright isn't the worst at this level either. They're six points clear of us for a reason. Love to see their budget compared to ours.

1875Sean
25-01-2024, 11:15 PM
Off the top of my head I'd say Armstrong, Findlay, Vassel and probably Kennedy. And a fit Magennis 😉

They all produce regularly for their team. Joe Wright isn't the worst at this level either. They're six points clear of us for a reason. Love to see their budget compared to ours.

I’d give you Findlay.

Armstrong is a good player but for me wouldn’t get a game over Boyle.

Vassell doesn’t normally average a lot in a season and wouldn’t get in our front line

And I don’t think the others are better what we have, maybe Mayo in defence but maybe you are going just in recent form over the past couple of weeks rather than the overall season?

DH1875
25-01-2024, 11:16 PM

Yeah but he's had the time to build that squad and get them to where their at. Not happening if he ever got the job here.

shetlandhibee
25-01-2024, 11:42 PM
Mcinnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

I’m done with Monty this :top marksor Lennon.. for me as well that was my choices ,,

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 05:24 AM

If they make your team significantly worse and show absolutely nothing to suggest they’re going to change it, the should be gone before that.

Pagan Hibernia
26-01-2024, 05:46 AM
If they make your team significantly worse and show absolutely nothing to suggest they’re going to change it, the should be gone before that.

Thats quite simply an insane way to run a club and if we adopt that formula the chances are we will never have one that survives long enough to turn things round and have a good run. Nor would we deserve to ever attract a decent manager.

Remember each new manager has to pick up the pieces from the previous one (with the exception of lennon who inherited a club basking in euphoria)

Since452
26-01-2024, 05:49 AM

Only Livingston have less points than us over the last 6 games. The team who are bottom. We're sleepwalking to the playoffs under Montgomery due to his arrogance and ignorance.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 06:22 AM
Thats quite simply an insane way to run a club and if we adopt that formula the chances are we will never have one that survives long enough to turn things round and have a good run. Nor would we deserve to ever attract a decent manager.

Remember each new manager has to pick up the pieces from the previous one (with the exception of lennon who inherited a club basking in euphoria)

Pick up the pieces? He hardly picked a car crash. This squad qualified for Europe and lost 3 league games when he picked us up.

This is a logical way to run a club. The boy has had nearly half a season. He's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he knows what he's doing. There's nothing to suggest we're going to have a good run under this boy. We create nothing, our defence is shocking, the football's slow and turged, his tactics 20 years out of date, other managers have completely worked him out, he's ruining our best players, there's no sign of improvement and we're getting worse. Only Livingston's form is worse than ours.

If half a season isn't enough, when is the right time? When bottom 6 is confirmed? When we fall into the playoff places? When we finish in the playoff places? When we're relegated?

Pagan Hibernia
26-01-2024, 06:35 AM
Pick up the pieces? He hardly picked a car crash. This squad qualified for Europe and lost 3 league games when he picked us up.

This is a logical way to run a club. The boy has had nearly half a season. He's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he knows what he's doing. There's nothing to suggest we're going to have a good run under this boy. We create nothing, our defence is shocking, the football's slow and turged, his tactics 20 years out of date, other managers have completely worked him out, he's ruining our best players, there's no sign of improvement and we're getting worse. Only Livingston's form is worse than ours.

If half a season isn't enough, when is the right time? When bottom 6 is confirmed? When we fall into the playoff places? When we finish in the playoff places? When we're relegated?

How long is enough? A season, and a summer transfer window. LJ had both and still managed to make a complete pigs arse out of what should have been a relatively straightforward start to the league season. After a season in which we sneaked into Europe via the cat flap nevernind the back door and very little sign of improvement.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 06:41 AM
How long is enough? A season, and a summer transfer window. LJ had both and still managed to make a complete pigs arse out of what should have been a relatively straightforward start to the league season. After a season in which we sneaked into Europe via the cat flap nevernind the back door and very little sign of improvement.

Even if it takes us into the Championship? Righto

Pagan Hibernia
26-01-2024, 06:42 AM
Even if it takes us into the Championship? Righto

That's on the board then.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 06:47 AM
That's on the board then.

It is. For not sacking him.

Pagan Hibernia
26-01-2024, 06:50 AM
It is. For not sacking him.

Fair enough. Presumably if Monty gets us a 5th place finish this season, which is certainly possible, then he'll be a moderate success judging by your appraisal of LJ

Smartie
26-01-2024, 06:54 AM
Fair enough. Presumably if Monty gets us a 5th place finish this season, which is certainly possible, then he'll be a moderate success judging by your appraisal of LJ

Uninspiring as it sounds, 5th would actually be a moderate success and I’d argue that from here it would be a decent achievement.

Can’t see it happening though, and if Monty’s to be held to the same standards as our other recent managers then it puts him in trouble.

Since452
26-01-2024, 07:29 AM

If Montgomery has a second half to the season as good as LJ did i'd be delighted. 5th could easily have been 3rd if it wasn't for some horrendous VAR calls. Lets hope that happens and we don't continue to go back the way.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 07:32 AM

You don't see qualifying for Europe as a success?

Pagan Hibernia
26-01-2024, 07:48 AM
You don't see qualifying for Europe as a success?

5th can be considered a moderate success, depending on where you started off. The fact that uefa chucked us the crumb of an extra qualifying place for a new tournament they had to invent for teams as bad as us, is largely by the by.

Stuart93
26-01-2024, 07:52 AM
5th surely can’t be considered a success if you’re finishing behind killie/st mirren

Stubbsy90+2
26-01-2024, 07:59 AM
5th surely can’t be considered a success if you’re finishing behind killie/st mirren

I’d fancy Aberdeen to start motoring now. They’re in pretty good form.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 08:03 AM
I’d fancy Aberdeen to start motoring now. They’re in pretty good form.

Fingers crossed. They're the only ones capable of stopping Hearts claiming 3rd spot.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 08:05 AM

I'll likely be Aberdeen and Hearts. Aberdeen have 3 games in hand over St Mirren.

Brizo
26-01-2024, 09:53 AM
Mcinnes

No more experiments
No more projects
No more potential

I’m done with Monty

While I can't quite believe I'm starting to think McInnes would be the next best bet, despite my total dislike of the constant cheating and timewasting that's at the core of his tactics, would he take it?

Have the last three managers been the successful candidates because they were willing to buy into the recruitment departments "project" signing recruitment policy? Would the owners be willing to employ a tried and tested SPL manager who wanted to sign tried and tested players some of whom might have little potential sell-on value? And would McInnes or any manager with SPL experience be willing to work to that business model which has delivered commercial results but is failing to deliver football results.

It might be that the business model changes when Foley comes on board but the next managerial appointment will be very telling.

Gordy M
26-01-2024, 10:21 AM
For those talking about getting rid? What games has he lost that are a major surprise, apart from St j? Who were basically cheated from beating Abeedeen the other night(who folk are claiming are now 'motoring'???)

In the league we have been beaten by the old firm and Hearts, which was a disaster. Thats it, no real surprises in there. It not going well as we have too many draws, but i think it will turn around, thats what happens in the SPL, teams go through runs good and bad.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 10:29 AM
For those talking about getting rid? What games has he lost that are a major surprise, apart from St j? Who were basically cheated from beating Abeedeen the other night(who folk are claiming are now 'motoring'???)

In the league we have been beaten by the old firm and Hearts, which was a disaster. Thats it, no real surprises in there. It not going well as we have too many draws, but i think it will turn around, thats what happens in the SPL, teams go through runs good and bad.

Why are you only focusing on defeats? He's won 5 league games in 18. That's awful.

We rarely create any chances, and play dreadful football. There are absolutely no signs whatsoever that he's turning anything around as he's not adapting anything. He's just doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Gordy M
26-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Why are you only focusing on defeats? He's won 5 league games in 18. That's awful.

We rarely create any chances, and play dreadful football. There are absolutely no signs whatsoever that he's turning anything around as he's not adapting anything. He's just doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Because these draws means there isnt a huge difference between us and the other teams. Also wasnt much between us and Hearts either, who have gone on a run of wins.. He has just signed his first players who hopefully are an improvement on what we had. They certainly should be. Thats why i think he will get results, and should be at least given some opportunity to do so.

xbar81
26-01-2024, 10:53 AM

Have you seen how bad Livi are this season? We won't get relegated. Probably scrape top 6 and sneak the last derby at Easter road thus saving monty burn's job till September (after a bad start bit like LJ)

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Have you seen how bad Livi are this season? We won't get relegated. Probably scrape top 6 and sneak the last derby at Easter road thus saving monty burn's job till September (after a bad start bit like LJ)

Ye do know we can get relegated via the playoffs don't you?

xbar81
26-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Ye do know we can get relegated via the playoffs don't you?

I did just say we'd scrape the top 6 so nowhere near the play offs

Since452
26-01-2024, 11:11 AM
While I can't quite believe I'm starting to think McInnes would be the next best bet, despite my total dislike of the constant cheating and timewasting that's at the core of his tactics, would he take it?

Have the last three managers been the successful candidates because they were willing to buy into the recruitment departments "project" signing recruitment policy? Would the owners be willing to employ a tried and tested SPL manager who wanted to sign tried and tested players some of whom might have little potential sell-on value? And would McInnes or any manager with SPL experience be willing to work to that business model which has delivered commercial results but is failing to deliver football results.

It might be that the business model changes when Foley comes on board but the next managerial appointment will be very telling.

I think he would if he was offered it now but if he gets his Kilmarnock side into Europe he'll probably be out of our reach in the same way Steve Clarke was.

xbar81
26-01-2024, 11:33 AM
I think he would if he was offered it now but if he gets his Kilmarnock side into Europe he'll probably be out of our reach in the same way Steve Clarke was.

c mon . we never had a chance with Steve Clarke. He was always gonna go somewhere that pays more or do his thing at the national team.

He probably likes his National team role since it's not weekly games and doesn't have to worry about the transfer market. Nice work if you can get it.

Stubbsy90+2
26-01-2024, 11:36 AM
Because these draws means there isnt a huge difference between us and the other teams. Also wasnt much between us and Hearts either, who have gone on a run of wins.. He has just signed his first players who hopefully are an improvement on what we had. They certainly should be. Thats why i think he will get results, and should be at least given some opportunity to do so.

We’re 14 points behind Hearts. I don’t think that can ever be chalked up as not a huge difference or not much between us. For reference, we’re closer to rock bottom than Hearts. So if there’s not much between us and Hearts then there’s even less between us and relegation.

Jones28
26-01-2024, 11:47 AM
We’re 14 points behind Hearts. I don’t think that can ever be chalked up as not a huge difference or not much between us. For reference, we’re closer to rock bottom than Hearts. So if there’s not much between us and Hearts then there’s even less between us and relegation.

This is unfortunately true. The major difference is they have clicked and their striker is banging in goals. Naismith has had longer than NM in post though.

Unseen work
26-01-2024, 11:49 AM

Even worse I’m sure I read that in December we were 1 point ahead of them with St Johnstone our next game whilst theirs was Celtic.

xbar81
26-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Stop comparing ourselves to Hearts TBH. Doesn't do any good until we are near a derby day or something.

League position v Hearts is depressing. Our goal should be to try and get the top 6.

Ya never know what positions in the league will become Europe and it can depend who is in the cup final.

Stubbsy90+2
26-01-2024, 12:15 PM
Even worse I’m sure I read that in December we were 1 point ahead of them with St Johnstone our next game whilst theirs was Celtic.

:agree:

That’s correct.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 01:53 PM
Stop comparing ourselves to Hearts TBH. Doesn't do any good until we are near a derby day or something.

League position v Hearts is depressing. Our goal should be to try and get the top 6.

Ya never know what positions in the league will become Europe and it can depend who is in the cup final.

Hearts aren't a great side. It's one of the reasons it's so frustrating that the team is being so badly mismanged. A half decent manager would have us ahead of them.

The Modfather
26-01-2024, 02:05 PM
Hearts aren't a great side. It's one of the reasons it's so frustrating that the team is being so badly mismanged. A half decent manager would have us ahead of them.

They have finished 3rd, 4th and looking like they will be comfortably 3rd again. In that time we’ve been 8th, 5th and could easily be anywhere either side of the top/bottom 6 split. Maybe their squad is more fit for purpose and functional and our squad isn’t as good as is made out.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 02:20 PM
They have finished 3rd, 4th and looking like they will be comfortably 3rd again. In that time we’ve been 8th, 5th and could easily be anywhere either side of the top/bottom 6 split. Maybe their squad is more fit for purpose and functional and our squad isn’t as good as is made out.

They finished 2 points ahead of us and if wasn't for a ridiculous VAR decision at Pittordrie, we would've finished above them

The Modfather
26-01-2024, 02:33 PM
They finished 2 points ahead of us and if wasn't for a ridiculous VAR decision at Pittordrie, we would've finished above them

They finished above us while having to manage group stage football. 3rd, 4th and likely 3rd again.

We have some good players, but a poor unbalanced team and a squad that is quantity over quality. 8th, 5th and anywhere from 4th - 11th this season as it stands.

A Stubbs level re-set required IMO.

Winston Ingram
26-01-2024, 02:41 PM
They finished above us while having to manage group stage football. 3rd, 4th and likely 3rd again.

We have some good players, but a poor unbalanced team and a squad that is quantity over quality. 8th, 5th and anywhere from 4th - 11th this season as it stands.

A Stubbs level re-set required IMO.

...and? They were absolutely appalling 2nd half of the season as well. They never had group stage football then.

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2024, 03:18 PM

This is something i see posted a lot on here, i couldnt dissagree more, we are pish mainly because we change managers more often than i change my pants.

They constantly punch their weight while we go after vanity projects to appease the fans who think Brazillian football is easy to get if we just appoint a manager who talks a good game irrespective of his experience.

We had a decent manager who got us 3rd place, then started signing players for the future, players nowhere near ready if ever for the first team, and completely missed the chance to consolidate that 3rd place finish and wasted a fortune doing so too.

They just get along with winning more games than us and finishing above us with their pragmatic approach, which is not good enough for us if you read this site.

What we need like most good sides have, is a good defense and a good spine, couple that with a couple of our exciting players like Boyle and Youann and we would do much better.

That is not the Hibs way, we sign as many forwards as we can, then try and shoehorn them into a system that will never work, but people like you will say we have the players, we dont, we have players but while we have some decent ones, Hearts have better and play them in a system that gets the best out of them and that is why they pick up more wins, more points and more derby wins too.

I agree the manager is pish, and to be honest if he left tomorrow i'd not bat an eyelid, but we have assembled a squad of pish, who at best could scrape top 6, but are just as likeley to be bottom 6, albeit i've not seen enough of the new guys to see how they might change that opinion of mine.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-01-2024, 03:31 PM
This is something i see posted a lot on here, i couldnt dissagree more, we are pish mainly because we change managers more often than i change my pants.

They constantly punch their weight while we go after vanity projects to appease the fans who think Brazillian football is easy to get if we just appoint a manager who talks a good game irrespective of his experience.

We had a decent manager who got us 3rd place, then started signing players for the future, players nowhere near ready if ever for the first team, and completely missed the chance to consolidate that 3rd place finish and wasted a fortune doing so too.

They just get along with winning more games than us and finishing above us with their pragmatic approach, which is not good enough for us if you read this site.

What we need like most good sides have, is a good defense and a good spine, couple that with a couple of our exciting players like Boyle and Youann and we would do much better.

That is not the Hibs way, we sign as many forwards as we can, then try and shoehorn them into a system that will never work, but people like you will say we have the players, we dont, we have players but while we have some decent ones, Hearts have better and play them in a system that gets the best out of them and that is why they pick up more wins, more points and more derby wins too.

I agree the manager is pish, and to be honest if he left tomorrow i'd not bat an eyelid, but we have assembled a squad of pish, who at best could scrape top 6, but are just as likeley to be bottom 6, albeit i've not seen enough of the new guys to see how they might change that opinion of mine.

Your final paragraph sums it up quite nicely G. 👍

worcesterhibby
26-01-2024, 03:39 PM

Phillipe Clement had no knowledge of the Scottish game.. he soon sorted Rangers out though. I agree with the rest of what you said, but It's about getting a good manager, not a Scottish one necesarily.

Since452
26-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Phillipe Clement had no knowledge of the Scottish game.. he soon sorted Rangers out though. I agree with the rest of what you said, but It's about getting a good manager, not a Scottish one necesarily.

Even a crap Rangers will finish 2nd though. They also have a Scottish spine.

We have the Gordon's, Kensell, McDermott and Montgomery who had no prior knowledge of Scottish football. We don't have a McInnes type who knows it inside out.

xbar81
26-01-2024, 04:17 PM

we do need to stop comparing ourselves to Hearts. Hearts have something jammy about them in that they often sneak things, seen it a million times, none more so than when harry potter was there the 1st time round.

Need to get our own house in order and not worry about them until derby day.

Since452
26-01-2024, 05:00 PM

Agree with all of this. 900 strikers, two centere halfs who have a mistake a game in them, and a splattering of teenagers that aren't good enough for the first team but who the manager seems determined to shoehorn in to the team.

Jones28
26-01-2024, 05:09 PM
we do need to stop comparing ourselves to Hearts. Hearts have something jammy about them in that they often sneak things, seen it a million times, none more so than when harry potter was there the 1st time round.

You make your own luck.

We did against Motherwell a couple of weeks ago.

They get spawny as **** against us at times but it’s also a bit buying a ticket for the raffle syndrome, take Hickys goal to win the one a few years ago. If had t taken the shot it would have been a draw. Likewise with the Ozturk goal to snatch a draw.

We don’t have a player capable of hitting a decent shot from outside the box, or so it would seem.

The Modfather
26-01-2024, 05:09 PM
Agree with all of this. 900 strikers, two centere halfs who have a mistake a game in them, and a splattering of teenagers that aren't good enough for the first team but who the manager seems determined to shoehorn in to the team.

Out of interest, who are the youngsters shoehorned into the first team and not out of necessity?

Jones28
26-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Out of interest, who are the youngsters shoehorned into the first team and not out of necessity?

I don’t see it either.

Would the golden generation have matured and progressed the way they did if they hadn’t had to play them out of necessity?

IngolstadtHarry
26-01-2024, 05:15 PM
Enough time has been wasted.
Get Lenny in.

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2024, 05:15 PM
Get Lenny in.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] utterly bizarre.

Jones28
26-01-2024, 05:21 PM
Get Lenny in.

What for?

He can be the shouting coach?

greenlex
26-01-2024, 05:22 PM
What for?

He can be the shouting coach?

Director of aeroplane celebrations..

xbar81
26-01-2024, 05:22 PM
You make your own luck.

We did against Motherwell a couple of weeks ago.

They get spawny as **** against us at times but it’s also a bit buying a ticket for the raffle syndrome, take Hickys goal to win the one a few years ago. If had t taken the shot it would have been a draw. Likewise with the Ozturk goal to snatch a draw.

We don’t have a player capable of hitting a decent shot from outside the box, or so it would seem.

Yes they are masters at getting last min goals v us. We have had a few back at them but nothing compared to them to us. that 4-4 years ago was beyond belief

Jones28
26-01-2024, 05:24 PM
Director of aeroplane celebrations..

And I thought being a set piece coach was a niche job 😂

B.H.F.C
26-01-2024, 07:25 PM

There aren’t any. There are enough things to criticise Monty, and us in general, for without making stuff up! But to say otherwise wouldn’t fit with the suggestion that we have a good squad….

Crunchie
26-01-2024, 07:27 PM

Wrong, boringly predictable post though.

Crunchie
26-01-2024, 07:29 PM
:agree: We are anything but boring.

Crunchie
26-01-2024, 07:32 PM
Monty didn't get into double figures and there was criticism of not being good enough let alone being allowed to build a squad. This is where our downfall is, we don't give anyone enough time to build anything.

One Day Soon
26-01-2024, 07:38 PM

I can't remember which sportsperson it was who said it was strange that the more they practised the luckier they got. There's something in that here. Hearts haven't been jammier all these years, there's more to it than that. Generally they've had a bigger budget and therefore have been able to afford a better standard of player. Not always, but frequently. But they also have a different mentality in my view, particularly relative to us.

Our club has so much going for it and could be so much stronger, but we rarely seem to get the combination of good and steady ownership, with quality management and a strong and balanced squad all at the same time. At least one part of the equation always seems to be weak.

One Day Soon
26-01-2024, 07:41 PM
:agree: We are anything but boring.

In my view we are eye bleeding to watch. We lack urgency, pace, press, punch and the ability to retain possession. With the players we have we should be capable of being much better than we currently are.

B.H.F.C
26-01-2024, 07:41 PM

The most important part in building a team.

When we last finished third we had Marciano, a good partnership of Porteous and Hanlon, a functional midfield of Newell and Gogic with Doidge and Nisbet up front. Particularly in the middle of the park, it wasn’t anything special but we had balance and consistency. That was a few years ago now and we’re still asking players from back them to do a job without improving things around about them whilst some of those still there have declined, unsurprisingly. Without that kind of consistency, the Boyle’s and Youan’s of this world will be up and down at best.

Thinking Monty isn’t doing a good job is fair enough. But the squad being good? Na.

Crunchie
26-01-2024, 07:48 PM
In my view we are eye bleeding to watch. We lack urgency, pace, press, punch and the ability to retain possession. With the players we have we should be capable of being much better than we currently are.
In my view we're anything but, certain games have been poor but over the piece there's no way you could describe our play as eye bleeding.