PDA

View Full Version : Passing (inability) under no pressure

truehibernian
24-01-2024, 09:13 PM
Dreadful, simply dreadful stuff tonight from a passing perspective under no pressure. Same v Hearts. Balls straight out of play, overhit, underhit, panic passing straight to an opponent - the basics were so so poor tonight.

Question formations etc all you like but every single player tonight was off it with their inability to pass the ball under no pressure. Embarrassing to be honest.

JJP
24-01-2024, 09:59 PM
That description could easily just be applied to Dylan Levitt who is apparently supposed to be a good passer of the ball.

Unseen work
24-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Our set up makes our passing so predictable imo.

Our centre halves split ridiculously wide and the centre mids drop very very deep whilst the full backs push up really high.

It then leaves a massive gap between midfield and strikers which results in the ball just being passed around the back and out to the full back. The rare occasion we go long the strikers don’t have enough support and are crowded out.

When we do play good triangles and manage to beat the press we’re still in our own half.

We need to be 20 yards higher up the pitch and do the triangles with our good players and in areas that can hurt the opposition.

Mikey_1875
24-01-2024, 10:08 PM

Our centre halves split ridiculously wide and the centre mids drop very very deep whilst the full backs push up really high.

It then leaves a massive gap between midfield and strikers which results in the ball just being passed around the back and out to the full back. The rare occasion we go long the strikers don’t have enough support and are crowded out.

When we do play good triangles and manage to beat the press we’re still in our own half.

We need to be 20 yards higher up the pitch and do the triangles with our good players and in areas that can hurt the opposition.

Agree with that. The gap in the centre of the park was huge tonight Lundstrum must have had a 10 metre radius around him at times.

The good opportunities or spaces we did find in our own half going forward were then quickly followed by moments of despair, misplaced pass or the player crowded out.

Hiber-nation
24-01-2024, 10:10 PM
That description could easily just be applied to Dylan Levitt who is apparently supposed to be a good passer of the ball.

Yep he's supposed to be the passer. I've felt a bit sorry for him and Newell in that ridiculous system but for a player with his ability to pass the ball so poorly under no pressure is inexcusable.

6-2MAGIC
24-01-2024, 10:34 PM
The thing that angers me is the fact there’s no fight or bite in our team at all. Just no aggression to our play - very lightweight. The tempo we play is very care free and slow it really is hard to watch

hibee1875
24-01-2024, 10:50 PM
Yep he's supposed to be the passer. I've felt a bit sorry for him and Newell in that ridiculous system but for a player with his ability to pass the ball so poorly under no pressure is inexcusable.

90% of his passes are 5yard ones back to the player who gave him it or back to a defender.

He’s useless. Jeggo is better off in there, at least he knows his job, looks like he wants to be there and can organise those around him

'mon the beers
24-01-2024, 11:22 PM
90% of his passes are 5yard ones back to the player who gave him it or back to a defender.

He’s useless. Jeggo is better off in there, at least he knows his job, looks like he wants to be there and can organise those around him

Jeggo is what? Can’t pass, track a runner or tackle, absolutely hopeless.

The Harp Awakes
24-01-2024, 11:38 PM
Dreadful, simply dreadful stuff tonight from a passing perspective under no pressure. Same v Hearts. Balls straight out of play, overhit, underhit, panic passing straight to an opponent - the basics were so so poor tonight.

Question formations etc all you like but every single player tonight was off it with their inability to pass the ball under no pressure. Embarrassing to be honest.

The bottom line is that we have a complete lack of quality throughout the squad. Other than Youan and Boyle and at times Jair, we don't not have a player with the ability to influence a game. All 3 of those players are lightweight though, and are most of the time brushed aside too easily.

Our midfield is non-existent and our defence is poor and yet our recruitment continues to ignore this and overall is shambolic.

California-Hibs
24-01-2024, 11:40 PM

Sorry but Jeggo is a terrible footballer and should never have been signed for Hibs.

truehibernian
24-01-2024, 11:44 PM
Sorry but Jeggo is a terrible footballer and should never have been signed for Hibs.

I’ve literally seen better footballers in Junior football mate - he’s horrendous.

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2024, 11:45 PM
Have to agree, our passing is woeful at times and not just tonight. Its probably the most basic thing a player has to have in order to play professionally and yet we mess up even the most simple ones.

There was one point in the 2nd half where there was a huge gap to play the ball inside their right back, Stevenson saw it and started his run, if the ball had been played correctly, and believe me it's a pass I could have played, he would have been free to run into their box. Instead Levitt played it behind him and out of play .... it was actually embarrassing to see such incompetence from a man who makes his living playing this game.

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2024, 11:46 PM
Passive

truehibernian
24-01-2024, 11:53 PM
Have to agree, our passing is woeful at times and not just tonight. Its probably the most basic thing a player has to have in order to play professionally and yet we mess up even the most simple ones.

There was one point in the 2nd half where there was a huge gap to play the ball inside their right back, Stevenson saw it and started his run, if the ball had been played correctly, and believe me it's a pass I could have played, he would have been free to run into their box. Instead Levitt played it behind him and out of play .... it was actually embarrassing to see such incompetence from a man who makes his living playing this game.

Saw that one too, and what’s worse, not one Hibs player lambasted him for such wastefulness- that’s where the issue lies, not one player challenges such incompetence they merely accept it.

basehibby
25-01-2024, 12:06 AM

Agreed - Levitt is a player who needs to get his finger out and find some urgency and focus. I remember the pass you mean and it was utterly woeful and had me screaming out in frustration - this coming from a player who is billed as being one of our more cultured midfield players. I think he got subbed shortly after and deservedly so!

Monty got that right but I am fast running out of patience with his general approach to the game. The slow build up from the back is all very well as a general strategy but when that approach sees you 2-0 down and chasing the game with the clock running down, sticking religiously to it just seems idiotic to me. So it proved tonight as the continuing adherence to this dogma saw us give away an embarrassingly soft third goal to a Rangers side that obviously had us sussed by that stage.

truehibernian
25-01-2024, 12:07 AM

Saw that one too, and what’s worse, not one Hibs player lambasted him for such wastefulness- that’s where the issue lies, not one player challenges such incompetence they merely accept it.

Dmas
25-01-2024, 03:20 AM

I don’t understand this splitting centre halfs for goal kicks, why not just use full backs? as you’ve pointed out it then means the CMs picking up in deeper positions, surely it also means the wide areas are over loaded as full backs have pushed on to accommodate the CH which probably pushes the forward line further away from the CMs, I just don’t understand the idea behind it.

Why aren’t full backs just dropping for the short pass if this is how he wants to play

Andymac85
25-01-2024, 05:25 AM
We are ponderous, but my personal opinion is that it is the players not the system. When the boy from Bournemouth came on you could see him pointing in visible frustration at where the ball should be going, as if it should all be happening much quicker.

Fuzzywuzzy
25-01-2024, 06:04 AM
Jeggos pass to the ball boy under no pressure was unique

Hibs4185
25-01-2024, 06:29 AM
Not a defence of Levitt because there is none but a couple of times last night, it looked like the receiver of the ball was expecting it elsewhere. The players weren’t on the same wavelength, which after Dubai you think would’ve improved.

More like miscommunication rather than bad passing, maybe the players don’t understand or incapable of delivering what NM expects

Trinity Hibee
25-01-2024, 06:32 AM
Not a defence of Levitt because there is none but a couple of times last night, it looked like the receiver of the ball was expecting it elsewhere. The players weren’t on the same wavelength, which after Dubai you think would’ve improved.

More like miscommunication rather than bad passing, maybe the players don’t understand or incapable of delivering what NM expects

It would also help if there was more movement from the midfield and forwards. We are so static

WestStandWillie
25-01-2024, 06:47 AM
We badly lack at the basics. The inability to pass a ball to another Hibs jersey is very worrying. Must be some low pressure training sessions being carried out at East Mains. They panic at the first sign of pressure.

Two wingers last night that were trying to see how many tricks could come off instead of actually taking players on. Couple of show ponies who believe they are better than they actually are. They let Stevenson and Megwa down big time last night.

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 06:51 AM
I don’t think malioda found a hibs player in the first 30 minutes

Levitt - I can’t believe we paid money for him

We can talk about him playing deep or further forward when you pass a basic 20 yard pass out the ground that kind of sums him up.

I’d move him on along with Monty and a few others.

Trinity Hibee
25-01-2024, 06:51 AM
We badly lack at the basics. The inability to pass a ball to another Hibs jersey is very worrying. Must be some low pressure training sessions being carried out at East Mains. They panic at the first sign of pressure.

Two wingers last night that were trying to see how many tricks could come off instead of actually taking players on. Couple of show ponies who believe they are better than they actually are. They let Stevenson and Megwa down big time last night.

With Youan and Jair, neither looks to stretch the opposition by running in behind. Both want to take the ball to feet and stand up a full back.

Boyles most successful period for us was when he was making runs in behind defences. We need that option back again. It might lead to newell and levitt being more effective too