PDA

View Full Version : FAO NM: Stuart Lovell's insights

McGruber
24-01-2024, 08:58 PM
When Montgomery watches the game back I hope it is the Hibs TV feed and he pays attention to the commentary.

Always feel Lovell has good insight on the games and on the team. Maybe we should move him from the tv to a coaching role!

That aside, can't believe any manager in the professional game these days sticks rigidly to one system, whatever that system might be.

houstonhibbee
24-01-2024, 09:01 PM
When Montgomery watches the game back I hope it is the Hibs TV feed and he pays attention to the commentary.

Always feel Lovell has good insight on the games and on the team. Maybe we should move him from the tv to a coaching role!

That aside, can't believe any manager in the professional game these days sticks rigidly to one system, whatever that system might be.

Always excellent critical analysis.....

Davy Mac
24-01-2024, 09:01 PM

I must say, i agree with you and even Ivan Sproules pre-match chat was bang on the money too.

1875Sean
24-01-2024, 09:04 PM
Best co-comms we have, not sure that good pundits always make the best coaches tho

Tyler Durden
24-01-2024, 09:05 PM

I couldn’t make the game tonight so watched aswell and agree he was spot on.

His main points seemed to be

* Not enough attacking intent
* Too easy to play against
* No cohesion to our pressing
* Don’t get the ball to our danger men quick enough or in good areas
* First thought / pass is usually a safe one rather than a forward pass
* Formation gives opposition loads of space in our final third (2nd goal for example)

All stuff that we can see easily. Why can Monty not see this?

Hibs4185
24-01-2024, 09:12 PM
Good thread. Stuart Lovell was spot on and I agreed with everything he said. It’s been obvious to most fans over a long period of time.

He articulated the points well.

houstonhibbee
24-01-2024, 09:14 PM

* Formation gives opposition loads of space in our final third (2nd goal for example)

Also our midfield playmakers lying too deep and so too big a gap from the attackers

portyhibernian
24-01-2024, 09:17 PM
Agree, thought he was bang on, and I would add that he was also bang on for their first goal in that Youan completely lost his man.

ChuckNor
24-01-2024, 09:20 PM
I normally find his over analysis annoying but tonight he was completely spot on. Laid into Montgomery. Well done.

McGruber
24-01-2024, 09:25 PM

Also that teams playing a number 10 have a field day because centre backs don't push out (though obviously Obita playing as a makeshift today so excused).

Edinburgh Green
24-01-2024, 09:50 PM
Also our midfield playmakers lying too deep and so too big a gap from the attackers

The distance between our centre mids and attack is laughable at times. Made a point of watching them against Motherwell and every time we had the ball in the final third, both of them were in our half, and by quite a bit. It's not surprise No 10's have a field day against us.

eastmainsmsh
24-01-2024, 09:54 PM

Maybe Monty is out his depth sadly

cabbageandribs1875
24-01-2024, 09:57 PM
'I felt sorry for midfield pair'FT: Hibernian 0-3 Rangers

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/96/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2020/3/3/b95c407b-2472-4f23-9ebd-8904ea02616f.jpg

John Collins
Former Hibernian manager on BBC Sportsound

When I saw the Hibs line-up tonight, I thought it was going to be a tough one.
In a game like this, they need three midfielders. I felt sorry for the two in there.

Stubbsy90+2
24-01-2024, 09:58 PM
'I felt sorry for midfield pair'FT: Hibernian 0-3 Rangers

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/96/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2020/3/3/b95c407b-2472-4f23-9ebd-8904ea02616f.jpg

John Collins
Former Hibernian manager on BBC Sportsound

When I saw the Hibs line-up tonight, I thought it was going to be a tough one.
In a game like this, they need three midfielders. I felt sorry for the two in there.

It’s obvious to everyone except Montgomery and a small handful of posters on here.

wookie70
24-01-2024, 10:00 PM
Agree, thought he was bang on, and I would add that he was also bang on for their first goal in that Youan completely lost his man. Monty put the blame for that goal firmly on Megwa's shoulders which was very unfair imo.

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Anyone with eyes can see the issue. I know Newell can have an off game, but imagine being told to go out, every week, just to be given the runaround by three of the oppositions midfielders, every single week? It must be soul destroying. None of the players look happy, not one of them. I also think a few players who thought they could see out their careers at Hibs, on a nice wage, with very little pressure, are now looking around at the players we're bringing in and realising they're more than likely for the off at the end of the season. No idea what that's doing to morale? Not much in a positive way I suspect.

cabbageandribs1875
24-01-2024, 10:05 PM
It’s obvious to everyone except Montgomery and a small handful of posters on here.

i'm not all that clued up on tactics but for the last several games for some reason i've thought about us trying a 3-5-2 formation

or any formation that has at least three in the middle :)

Johnny_Leith
24-01-2024, 10:06 PM

Essentially every other fan, pundit, player and manager are all saying the same thing about Hibs:

The formation doesn't fit the players. Hibs are easy to play against if you nullify the wingers and outnumber their midfield.

And we won't change it! It's absolute stupidity and it will cost the manager his job, possibly before this season is out.

Stubbsy90+2
24-01-2024, 10:08 PM
Essentially every other fan, pundit, player and manager are all saying the same thing about Hibs:

The formation doesn't fit the players. Hibs are easy to play against if you nullify the wingers and outnumber their midfield.

And we won't change it! It's absolute stupidity and it will cost the manager his job, possibly before this season is out.

Loads of folk called it out as soon as he came in the door pretty much and even outlined why it won’t work. It’s going exactly as people said it would.

If lots of fans on an internet forum can tell you that a formation won’t work and why then it’s a ****ing travesty that someone that’s supposed to be a manager can’t. Imagine being an opposition manager coming up against Hibs knowing your opposite number doesn’t have any other game plan than the abomination he starts with?

Honestly, this is worse than Shaun Maloney imo.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Loads of folk called it out as soon as he came in the door pretty much and even outlined why it won’t work. It’s going exactly as people said it would.

If lots of fans on an internet forum can tell you that a formation won’t work and why then it’s a ****ing travesty that someone that’s supposed to be a manager can’t. Imagine being an opposition manager coming up against Hibs knowing your opposite number doesn’t have any other game plan than the abomination he starts with?

Honestly, this is worse than Shaun Maloney imo.

to be fair the internet also came up with “Boaty McBoatface” :)