PDA

View Full Version : Newall

Exuberance1875
24-01-2024, 08:46 PM
Hopeless.

Offers nothing, game constantly bypassing him. Been at the heart of our midfield for several managers now with loads of formations and it’s always resulted in failure.

We absolutely must demand better than him.

The Modfather
24-01-2024, 08:49 PM
Hopeless.

Offers nothing, game constantly bypassing him. Been at the heart of our midfield for several managers now with loads of formations and it’s always resulted in failure.

Possibly not as bad Levitt tonight, but as poor as all others, exemptions to Megwa and Obita. Thankfully it looks like his days of being undropable and playing long every minute of every game are coming to an end. Amos is going to have to be some player to carry whoever else he is paired with in midfield.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-01-2024, 08:55 PM
Captain 😆😆🤣

eastmainsmsh
24-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Wonder if any interest from down south

JohnM1875
24-01-2024, 09:07 PM
As bad as he's played for us tonight. Really poor and wasn't surprised he was subbed off.

Hibs90
24-01-2024, 09:11 PM
Wonder if any interest from down south

Hopefully. We need much better.

PH91
24-01-2024, 09:13 PM
Not even close to our worst player tonight. We fell apart when he went off. I can't believe he took him off before Levitt.

Cod Boy
24-01-2024, 09:14 PM
I suppose with Hanlon not playing someone has to be the scapegoat

JohnM1875
24-01-2024, 09:15 PM

Scapegoat? He was really really poor tonight. I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he had a stinker.

CapitalGreen
24-01-2024, 09:17 PM

He’s been subbed off before the hour in back to back games due to his poor performance, he’s not being scapegoated he’s being rightly criticised for playing badly.

O'Rourke3
24-01-2024, 09:25 PM
Taken off as a precaution because he has a calf injury.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

GordonHFC
24-01-2024, 09:28 PM
Not even close to our worst player tonight. We fell apart when he went off. I can't believe he took him off before Levitt.

We fell apart long before he went off

Ozyhibby
24-01-2024, 09:40 PM

That’s always the defence of Newell. Find someone else on the pitch who was a little bit worse.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supermcginn
24-01-2024, 09:40 PM
Probably the most overrated player we've ever had, he's as average as it gets and to think some on here talk about him as if we are lucky to have him. Get rid

RossScott1991
24-01-2024, 09:41 PM
He’s only suffering a dip in form because the current manager is leaving him and Levitt out to dry. They are being asked to play soo deep and take the ball off defence.
As John Collins said on radio they are getting the ball and there’s 40 yards between them and attackers.

Monty is killing the good footballers in the team.

tamig
24-01-2024, 09:43 PM
Hopeless.

Not sure what I was watching. I thought Joe Newell had a pretty good game tonight. Thought this was going to be a positive thread on him.

The Modfather
24-01-2024, 09:43 PM
That’s always the defence of Newell. Find someone else on the pitch who was a little bit worse.[emoji23]

“The least of our problems” should be added to his gravestone when the time comes. While that might be true, I’m not sure a strong case can be made that he’s a main part of the solution either based on his 5 years here.

hibsbollah
24-01-2024, 09:45 PM
Weird. I thought Joe was acceptable tonight. Some good some not so good.

cameronw-hfc
24-01-2024, 09:46 PM
Didn't think he played that bad. Thought Levitt was miles worse today. I just don't think they work well together at all.

hibee_girl
24-01-2024, 09:47 PM
I didn’t think Newell was that bad either. Levitt should have been off well before Newell tonight.

Stubbsy90+2
24-01-2024, 09:48 PM
He’s only suffering a dip in form because the current manager is leaving him and Levitt out to dry. They are being asked to play soo deep and take the ball off defence.
As John Collins said on radio they are getting the ball and there’s 40 yards between them and attackers.

Monty is killing the good footballers in the team.

Yup. He’s absolutely butchering this team.

Interesting that Lovell and Collins have both apparently called our formation/style of play out tonight. A few on here have kept on telling us it absolutely isn’t the issue.

The Modfather
24-01-2024, 09:51 PM
Didn't think he played that bad. Thought Levitt was miles worse today. I just don't think they work well together at all.

The list of players that Newell doesn’t work well with is fairly sizeable now…

In some sort of mitigation we’ve signed an impressive amount of duds with an ability to make the midfield less than the sum of its parts.

TelaStella
24-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Hopeless.

Not a Stubbs singing but point stands

TelaStella
Not a Stubbs singing but point stands

Yeah

pacoluna
Shows the lack of leadership that we have when our captain is subbed after 60 mins with us being 2-0 down.

LaMotta
24-01-2024, 10:01 PM
Shows the lack of leadership that we have when our captain is subbed after 60 mins with us being 2-0 down.

He was taken off as he had a muscle injury. He played like he had a muscle injury too.

PH91
24-01-2024, 10:01 PM
Taken off as a precaution because he has a calf injury.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

This would make sense as I thought him and Obita were our best players tonight.

Glad to see Amos looks like he can get about the pitch in a similar way to Newell as we can't have Levitt in there, he just isn't athletic enough.

THESHIP
24-01-2024, 10:05 PM
Agree with the OP. He’s a squad player at best and that’s being generous… we’re not allowed to say that though as the majority of our fan base will have you believe he’s “Rolls Royce”

CB Hibs 68
24-01-2024, 10:15 PM
Agree with the OP. He’s a squad player at best and that’s being generous… we’re not allowed to say that though as the majority of our fan base will have you believe he’s “Rolls Royce”

Let’s look at the squad.Mmm perhaps better than some say for example Levitt who was honking .Jeggo who is Jeggo.In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king and that is what Newelll is to Hibs.Unless we get better quality in midfield nothing changes.

wookie70
24-01-2024, 10:23 PM
Not as bad as is being said for me and is essentially playing in a game of piggy in the middle when the other team have the ball. Played with a knock as well so at least had some excuse.

keep the faith
24-01-2024, 10:27 PM
The list of players that Newell doesn’t work well with is fairly sizeable now…

In some sort of mitigation we’ve signed an impressive amount of duds with an ability to make the midfield less than the sum of its parts.

So many of your posts are about Joe Newell.

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2024, 10:31 PM

Bang on. If Levitt is a 300K player I'm bloody Pele, contributes the square root of sod all, at least Newell tries to impact the game.

ekhibee
24-01-2024, 10:33 PM
Bang on. If Levitt is a 300K player I'm bloody Pele, contributes the square root of sod all, at least Newell tries to impact the game.

I don't agree with that at all. All about opinions I suppose.

hibee1875
24-01-2024, 10:34 PM
Levitts body language was that of someone who would rather be a million miles away. Takes the ball but never does anything with it.

Looks like a wee lost boy

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2024, 11:55 PM
I don't agree with that at all. All about opinions I suppose.

It is mate. mine is that I've seen Joe Newell put himself about in games and at least try to influence what's going on on the park this season. When Levitt plays he is utterly ineffective, just as he was tonight.

This is a guy with plenty of experience in this league and an international player who we paid over quarter of a million quid for. I for one expect far far more from him, even a half fit Joe Newell is a better player.

WestStandWillie
25-01-2024, 07:00 AM
Levitt was worse than Newell tonight. Is Joe carrying an injury and playing through it or is it performance related? Subbed off early the last couple of games

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 07:03 AM
We’re not allowed to slag Newell though

ekhibee
25-01-2024, 07:08 AM
It is mate. mine is that I've seen Joe Newell put himself about in games and at least try to influence what's going on on the park this season. When Levitt plays he is utterly ineffective, just as he was tonight.

This is a guy with plenty of experience in this league and an international player who we paid over quarter of a million quid for. I for one expect far far more from him, even a half fit Joe Newell is a better player.

I agree with you about Levitt but not about Newell. Newall looks decent in some games and really poor in others, we are far too reliant on either of these too, neither of them are nearly consistent enough imo.

WhileTheChief..
25-01-2024, 07:44 AM

Not at all.

The majority of us can see exactly what the problems are, whether it be Newall or anyone else in the squad.

I'd go further than that and say the majority of us wouldn't be that bothered if every single player was replaced by this time next year!!

Brooster
25-01-2024, 07:48 AM
When was the last time Newell had a good game? He's just wandering about not really doing much other than losing possession, fouling people and missing penalties. Not good enough.

RIP
25-01-2024, 08:01 AM
Newell Levitt Youan Vente.

All played out of position because Montyball wants to play a 2 man midfield in the SPL. The first two should be 20 yards further forward and the second two should be receiving the ball 10-20 yards nearer the goal.

A manager with SPL experience would play them in positions that bring the best out of them. As others have said, Nick is hanging these guys out to dry trying to hammer round pegs into square holes.

nickwhibs
25-01-2024, 08:24 AM
Newell is such a frustrating player. We know he can be very good on his day and really influence the game (e.g. Luzern at home). But he just doesn’t do it enough - especially when we’re up against it. That’s when you need guys like Newell to step up but he doesn’t do it enough. That said, he is still our best midfielder for now. But we really need someone in there who is going to fight for everything and drive the team on when we need it most. Of course the system/style of play isn’t helping but he needs to do more (as do the rest of the team)

Cameron1875
25-01-2024, 08:32 AM
Think it's now best for both parties to call it a day and we try get a little bit of money for him in the summer.

He definitely had an upturn in form end of last season and was fantastic v Luzern in the Europa League. However, his performances over the last couple of months have been really poor. In particular Forfar and last night's performances were a reminder of the beginning of his time where a lot of us wanted him gone asap.

He looks a broken man and not up for the fight anymore. Time to get rid.

hibsbollah
25-01-2024, 08:48 AM
We’re not allowed to slag Newell though

Source?

Jones28
25-01-2024, 08:49 AM
Source?

The fish guy.

SickBoy32
25-01-2024, 08:49 AM
Let’s look at the squad.Mmm perhaps better than some say for example Levitt who was honking .Jeggo who is Jeggo.In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king and that is what Newelll is to Hibs.Unless we get better quality in midfield nothing changes.

Great summary.

After 5 years of watching the pony that is newell, surely enough is enough now !

truehibernian
25-01-2024, 08:57 AM
Levitts body language was that of someone who would rather be a million miles away. Takes the ball but never does anything with it.

Looks like a wee lost boy

Take a close look at Joe’s body language when we concede goals - languid, passive, no fight, no leadership - would be delighted if we moved him on, playing 1 decent game in 5 is his ‘benchmark’, rest of the time he’s a man down. The midfield lacks a bully, someone who demands, demands and keeps demanding more from those around him. He’s meek, as most of the squad are.

CapitalGreen
25-01-2024, 09:09 AM
“Luzern at home” is becoming Newell’s version of Melkerson’s “Motherwell away”.