PDA

View Full Version : Would I be right in saying

Torto7062
24-01-2024, 08:45 PM
Monty now has a worse record than Maloney had when he was sacked...

Correct me if I'm wrong

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 08:46 PM
Without turning into Statto, sadly I think you may be right. My patience is running out.

Pagan Hibernia
24-01-2024, 08:47 PM
You're wrong

stuart-farquhar
24-01-2024, 08:48 PM
He's not a good manager.

Another one who should be fired. ASAP.

ancient hibee
24-01-2024, 08:48 PM
Without turning into Statto, sadly I think you may be right. My patience is running out.
You surely didn’ t expect us to get a result tonight. When did we last beat them at Easter Road?

1875Sean
24-01-2024, 08:49 PM
Your wrong

Maloney had 19 games, Won 6, drew 6, lost 7
Monty after 19 games , won 7, drew 7, lost 5

stuart-farquhar
24-01-2024, 08:49 PM
You surely didn’ t expect us to get a result tonight. When did we last beat them at Easter Road?

We did. 0 3.

LunasBoots
24-01-2024, 08:51 PM
As a manager you have to adapt to what you've got and use a system that suits that team, Monty hasn't done that and is persistent with this Plan A only crap, if he's not willing to change then he should be out the door.

Unseen work
24-01-2024, 08:52 PM
What I would say in Maloney’s defence is his attacking threat was Mueller, James Scott, Melkersen, Jasper and Ewan Henderson.

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 08:52 PM

I didn't 'expect' to beat them, I'm a 55 year old Hibs fan, I don't 'expect' us to beat anyone, not with any real confidence. What I do expect is to challenge and make it difficult for any team in this league. We made it very easy for them tonight, that's the unacceptable part for me. If NM sticks with this way of playing then I'd rather we cut out losses. I agreed with a poster on another thread, Foley will not put up with this. No chance.

PhilipHill
24-01-2024, 08:53 PM
6 league wins from 21 this season.

Closer to bottom position than 3rd place.

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 08:53 PM
Your wrong

That isn't a glowing endorsement.

SaulGoodman
24-01-2024, 08:54 PM
I thought the whole point of a football manager was to adapt to every game, research the opposition and pick a formation and a strategy that you think will benefit your team.

I could walk into the Hibs dressing room and do Monty’s job just now. Pick your best 11, stick them in a 442 and tell them to pass it out from the back. Sit back and don’t change anything during the game.

Since452
24-01-2024, 08:54 PM
That isn't a glowing endorsement.

Especially when one was Forfar

The Modfather
24-01-2024, 08:57 PM
What I would say in Maloney’s defence is his attacking threat was Mueller, James Scott, Melkersen, Jasper and Ewan Henderson.

Genuine question, what’s the harder ask. Cobble an attack together from those options or cobble a midfield together from:

Newell, Levit, JDH, Campbell, Delfierre, Jeggo

houstonhibbee
I didn't 'expect' to beat them, I'm a 55 year old Hibs fan, I don't 'expect' us to beat anyone, not with any real confidence. What I do expect is to challenge and make it difficult for any team in this league. We made it very easy for them tonight, that's the unacceptable part for me. If NM sticks with this way of playing then I'd rather we cut out losses. I agreed with a poster on another thread, Foley will not put up with this. No chance.

There is usually something to take out of a defeat but that was a spineless and insipid a performance. The new guys look good but there is no cohesion and that was so frustrating to watch. This is just not working for me. We need a new manager please.

nickwhibs
It’s been downhill since the semi final (where we actually played well). Started well under Monty but things are really poor just now. Disjointed play, no desire, no confidence and poor tactically. We just don’t look like a proper team.

That midfield and defence needs sorted asap. Not just new players but playing with belief and a desire to win. It’s far too passive. Tactics need changed too. We could do with a leader - either at centre half or centre mid.

Torto7062
24-01-2024, 09:01 PM
Especially when one was Forfar

And God knows how we won that

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 09:03 PM
I thought the whole point of a football manager was to adapt to every game, research the opposition and pick a formation and a strategy that you think will benefit your team.

I could walk into the Hibs dressing room and do Monty’s job just now. Pick your best 11, stick them in a 442 and tell them to pass it out from the back. Sit back and don’t change anything during the game.

Derek McInnes will be rubbing his hands with glee, 3 or 4 in midfield, Vassell up top. They'll bully us all over the park.

1875Sean
24-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Derek McInnes will be rubbing his hands with glee, 3 or 4 in midfield, Vassell up top. They'll bully us all over the park.

Guess we will see, they tried to bully us at Easter road and we beat them, still think we have better players than them

Nakedmanoncrack
24-01-2024, 09:14 PM
Clock is ticking for Montgomery, not seeing anything to suggest he'll be around much longer to be honest, sad indictment of those running the club to keep making such poor appointments.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2024, 09:42 PM
Clock is ticking for Montgomery, not seeing anything to suggest he'll be around much longer to be honest, sad indictment of those running the club to keep making such poor appointments.

I think you are correct. There does not appear to have been any improvement at all since he arrived. I’ll be surprised if he is here in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
24-01-2024, 09:55 PM
Clock is ticking for Montgomery, not seeing anything to suggest he'll be around much longer to be honest, sad indictment of those running the club to keep making such poor appointments.Sadly you are correct. We shouldn't be in this position but here we are again.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
24-01-2024, 09:55 PM
6 league wins from 21 this season.

Closer to bottom position than 3rd place.

This is where we are. A fact. Won 6 league games out of 21 in lets face it a pretty crap league this season. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

JJP
24-01-2024, 09:57 PM
NM sounded desperate in his post match interview. I'm not surprised. I've not felt this bad about Hibs since the Maloney days.

Stubbsy90+2
24-01-2024, 09:57 PM
This is where we are. A fact. Won 6 league games out of 21 in lets face it a pretty crap league this season. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

And people are insistent that we’re still in with a shout if third place. Mental.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2024, 09:59 PM
And people are insistent that we’re still in with a shout if third place. Mental.

I think we’ll end up 6th or 7th. New manager in the summer.

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-01-2024, 10:00 PM
Good manager. We'll come good over time.

Needs to correct reoccurring errors and problems though

Joe6-2
24-01-2024, 10:01 PM

Has to realise if change is needed then do it, not be so fixated

Nicho87
24-01-2024, 10:06 PM
Maloney had lost Boyle our best player too

Monty won’t be here this time next year

Said from day one when it was clear he’s 4-4-2 daft would get him sacked, 100% stand by that

wookie70
24-01-2024, 10:12 PM
Your wrong

League games are surely a better barometer

Maloney had 15 won 3, drew 6 and lost 6 scoring 11 goals (failing to score in 8 games)
Monty has had 17 won 5, drawn 7 and lost 5 scoring 15 goals( failing to score in 5 games

In short we score more regularly and get more points per game under Montgomery when compared against one of the worst managers in our History but it is fairly close and just as boring to watch and both were/are playing a style that is wholly unsuitable to our personnel

percy veer
24-01-2024, 10:12 PM
your right a bit like last season we only really needed to have a slightly better than average season and we would have been right in the mix for 3rd place, this style of play is brutal to watch and he will be lucky to be the manager for the start of next season, but we will do the usual, sack him the day after the transfer window shuts and the whole thing starts again

Stuart93
24-01-2024, 10:14 PM
I like NM he’s very likeable and he’s passionate but we’ve barely seen an upturn in results and we look every bit as bad.

Seeing hibs tonight just reminded me of Maloney however NM is working with a much better squad imo especially in attack

We have the players to be doing better but his system isn’t suiting them. Just seems so naive to continue with 442 every single game.

We need to improve quick or I can’t see it going any other way

MrRobot
24-01-2024, 10:51 PM

We need a new experienced centre back, left back and a solid midfielder.

We also need to change the formation as it is clearly not working.

scoopyboy
24-01-2024, 10:57 PM
We need a new experienced centre back, left back and a solid midfielder.

We also need to change the formation as it is clearly not working.

Could we get away with Obita at centre back, I thought he was excellent tonight?

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 10:59 PM
He needs a result on Saturday. Another defeat and it’ll start to be a case of how long he can last rather than anything else.

I know certain folk have had their views on him from very early on but we were in a decent position as recently as four games ago. Three home games on the spin, one point. Pish.

Pagan Hibernia
24-01-2024, 11:04 PM
I refuse to condemn a manager until he's had a season and a summer transfer window. If results, performances, playing style are all crap after that I would certainly advocate a change.

The cycle we're going through is ridiculous. We are becoming addicted to sacking managers, and part of me thinks that's just a reflection of the digital instant gratification world we live in now but jesus does noone have any patience anymore?

Stuart93
24-01-2024, 11:09 PM
I refuse to condemn a manager until he's had a season and a summer transfer window. If results, performances, playing style are all crap after that I would certainly advocate a change.

The cycle we're going through is ridiculous. We are becoming addicted to sacking managers, and part of me thinks that's just a reflection of the digital instant gratification world we live in now but jesus does noone have any patience anymore?

Think hibs fans are just getting sick of us being ***** tbh.

And I think a lot of it is to do with us being semi successful between 2016-2018 then the downhill spiral ever since

Just as a side point, just seen on Twitter that since we sung “hearts are falling apart again” and I think maybe went above them, we’ve picked up one point & hearts have picked up 16. We’ve fell right off a cliff

scoopyboy
24-01-2024, 11:10 PM

It is and we are.

I don't think he's going to get that much longer though the way it is going.

He seems to be very set in his ways. I would have thought a young manager desperate to succeed would have been very open to change

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 11:17 PM

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of NM, like him as a guy, seems a decent bloke, but not a fan of his football and wouldn't be upset if he left. However...he needs time to see if he can make this work. I don't like that, I don't particularly want to watch that, but he deserves it or else we'll never see what he can really do. I don't even think it will work, but if we want to be taken seriously as a club we can't sack managers after every bad run, it's a nonsense. If we let him go then we're in danger of becoming the Scottish Fleetwood Town, a revolving door of managers who are never given the chance.

'mon the beers
24-01-2024, 11:18 PM
As dire as this is it does come down to the players too, if we keep churning managers then the same players get to go again and then we are back to square one.

As poor as it is just now I think we have to stick with it until some new players are bedded in. It’s either that or we just keep going with the same cycle and we are here again in 3/4 months time.

I fully appreciate that it is dire, I really do, but at what point do we see it through and get rid of the charlatans that have seen 4/5 managers get sacked!?

wookie70
24-01-2024, 11:19 PM
Could we get away with Obita at centre back, I thought he was excellent tonight? Only if we buy another left back. Lewis was fine tonight though but needs to be a squad player if for no other reason than it is ridiculous how much more mobile he is to so called athletic fast players in the team. Obita and Megwa after the goal both played well imo and that was about that for decent performances from the starters

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 11:21 PM

I’ve stuck up for him a fair bit, not because I agree with everything he does, more that I just disagree with some of the criticisms, I don’t think they are valid ALL the time.

But he’s desperately needing a result or two now. I really don’t want us to be in the position of starting from scratch yet again.

Patience doesn’t exist and some folk just make their mind up straight away. But he’s not helping himself at the moment and the complete resistance to change things is bonkers.

greenlex
24-01-2024, 11:23 PM
Only if we buy another left back. Lewis was fine tonight though but needs to be a squad player if for no other reason than it is ridiculous how much more mobile he is to so called athletic fast players in the team. Obita and Megwa after the goal both played well imo and that was about that for decent performances from the starters

Lewis is our back up left back. Our left back was playing CB.. the very definition of a squad player.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2024, 11:28 PM
I agree with you. I'm not a fan of NM, like him as a guy, seems a decent bloke, but not a fan of his football and wouldn't be upset if he left. However...he needs time to see if he can make this work. I don't like that, I don't particularly want to watch that, but he deserves it or else we'll never see what he can really do. I don't even think it will work, but if we want to be taken seriously as a club we can't sack managers after every bad run, it's a nonsense. If we let him go then we're in danger of becoming the Scottish Fleetwood Town, a revolving door of managers who are never given the chance.

He’s literally getting his chance right now. He’s blowing it though. He’ll get a bit longer but he needs to improve.

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2024, 11:34 PM
I was all for Montgomery, he sounded like a real man manager who could get the best out of the players he had and get a team punching above it's weight.

What I saw tonight was a team that practically stood and watched the Sticky Buns play the ball about. We were 2nd to every loose ball and barely got close enough to make a tackle.

When we did get the ball back .. usually because they had missed with a shot or put a pass out of play, it seemed that all they had to do was stand around and wait for us to present the ball back to them.

On the radio Tom English said they looked like they had another couple of gears if they had needed them and he was absolutely right. The truth was they absolutely strolled that game and we let them do it.

It takes us so long to play the ball out from the back that the opposition could pop over to their manager for a chat while they wait for it to cross into their half.

I'm not a sack the manager sort of person, it takes a while for me to reach that point. But in Monty's case I wont have to because the results will take him to that point. I want him to succeed, but if he can't be a bit more flexible he will be a sacking waiting to happen by April.

VoltaireHibs
24-01-2024, 11:43 PM
He’s literally getting his chance right now. He’s blowing it though. He’ll get a bit longer but he needs to improve.

Agreed. I said elsewhere - it's his job and his choices. I don't want us to sack him just now. I hope we have an upturn in form and we get 4th or 5th, and he gets the close season. If he fails to get top six then I think we have grounds to punt him and he couldn't argue too much with that decision. The squad overall is more than good enough for top six, maybe not much more, but that at least.

Stuart93
24-01-2024, 11:50 PM
Also, everything about hibs on the park is completely ****ing boring just now. Utter boring and depressing.

No personality in the team, no flair, like robots.

Boring team

Haymaker
24-01-2024, 11:54 PM
A professional football managers/head coach job is to get results.

You may wish to play a certain way, a system, a style. But you also have players who may not fit that style/system.

Your job is to get results.

If you don't get them... you won't have a job.

badabing67
25-01-2024, 12:01 AM
Could we get away with Obita at centre back, I thought he was excellent tonight?

I thought he was good tonight, but if he plays there, then what. Should we move Newell back to play on the left of the back 4. With JDH and Amos as a centre midfield paring.

CentreLine
25-01-2024, 12:03 AM
Never thought I’d hear myself say such a thing but what we need right now is a Neil Lennon character. There, I’ve said it. Never wanted to see him darken our doorway again but, god, do we need his king if passion and dig now

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 12:05 AM
Also, everything about hibs on the park is completely ****ing boring just now. Utter boring and depressing.

No personality in the team, no flair, like robots.

Boring team

Again, this is 442 football, by and large. I always felt Pep's prime Barca were pretty crap to watch once you got past the admiration of technique. Sterile, death by a thousand cuts kinda game. If it wasn't for Messi and his magic they would have been bloody awful to watch, imo. :wink:

CCM4LIFE
25-01-2024, 03:15 AM
Lol it took Monty 2 years at the academy training the boys to then get the gig as head coach and use those same boys from the academy and promoted to 1st team to win the championship in Australia.

If you thought you were going to get instant results you were sorely mistaken. Go watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/live/M3GigCqPr9w?feature=shared

California-Hibs
25-01-2024, 03:26 AM
Never thought I’d hear myself say such a thing but what we need right now is a Neil Lennon character. There, I’ve said it. Never wanted to see him darken our doorway again but, god, do we need his king if passion and dig now

It's who I wanted in the first place. I don't care what folk say, overall it was a brilliant time when Lennon was in charge of us.

HoboHarry
25-01-2024, 03:34 AM
It's who I wanted in the first place. I don't care what folk say, overall it was a brilliant time when Lennon was in charge of us.

Until the end when it was a million miles away from being brilliant.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2024, 05:28 AM

Genuinely baffles be how can think this. Over 20 games and he’s made us worse and we’re getting worse. He’s CV is in pub league and has not shown a single thing in his time here to suggest he knows what he’s doing.

Is It On....
25-01-2024, 05:57 AM

If you select the right manager then you don't have a revolving door. The people doing that recruitment are clearly challenged in their decision making.

Stubbsy90+2
25-01-2024, 06:04 AM
Lol it took Monty 2 years at the academy training the boys to then get the gig as head coach and use those same boys from the academy and promoted to 1st team to win the championship in Australia.

If you thought you were going to get instant results you were sorely mistaken. Go watch this again

In that case he should never have been appointed. He’s genuinely the most one dimensional manager I’ve ever saw at Hibs. And the one dimension he has is horrendous.

The Captain....
25-01-2024, 06:31 AM
Clock is ticking for Montgomery, not seeing anything to suggest he'll be around much longer to be honest, sad indictment of those running the club to keep making such poor appointments.Agreed..he is a dead mam walking. Its not working.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

hibbydog
25-01-2024, 06:34 AM
We have to break the cycle of sacking managers. Every time we sack a manager the job becomes less attractive for the next guy

We’re now a laughing stock I’m afraid

Clarence
25-01-2024, 06:34 AM
And God knows how we won that

A Christian rose after a cross.

Trinity Hibee
25-01-2024, 06:35 AM
A Christian rose after a cross.

😂

Heisenberg
25-01-2024, 06:38 AM
We have to break the cycle of sacking managers. Every time we sack a manager the job becomes less attractive for the next guy

We’re now a laughing stock I’m afraid

We need a manager to break that cycle. Hopefully Monty is the one but he needs to start improving soon if he’s going to be.

Saint Hibee
25-01-2024, 06:42 AM
Come back Neil. All is forgiven.

WhileTheChief..
25-01-2024, 07:04 AM

Feel the same way here. Was my favourite time going to ER and it's not been anywhere close to as enjoyable since he left.

WhileTheChief..
25-01-2024, 07:06 AM
I think you are correct. There does not appear to have been any improvement at all since he arrived. I’ll be surprised if he is here in August.

I think he'll be gone by the split if we're not top 6. David Gray to see out the season.

SteveHFC
25-01-2024, 08:04 AM
It is and we are.

I don't think he's going to get that much longer though the way it is going.

He seems to be very set in his ways. I would have thought a young manager desperate to succeed would have been very open to change

At some point he will need to change but by then it may well be too little and too late

He's here!
25-01-2024, 08:17 AM

Lose at Killie (a strong possibility based on current form) and fail to win against St Mirren and the board will understandably start to worry with Celtic and Aberdeen (away) to follow. He may be gone sooner than the summer. Desperately needs the new signings to gel fast or a Butcher-style freefall isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

SickBoy32
25-01-2024, 08:35 AM
If Montgomery can’t see the season out then that must spell the end of Kensell at Hibernian. Surely he can’t survive 3 duds in a row?

He has presided over a disaster over the last few years, destroying us from the position of relative strength we were in when we finishing 3rd.

FWIW I’d stick with the manager until the summer as the seasons over now if we’re honest, nothing really to be gained by changing at this stage IMO.

But if the axe does fall again, it’s absolutely crucial that Kensell is removed at the same time.

Chipper1875
25-01-2024, 08:40 AM
Genuine question, what’s the harder ask. Cobble an attack together from those options or cobble a midfield together from:

Newell, Levit, JDH, Campbell, Delfierre, Jeggo

Both brutal . But all leads back to Ian Gordon doing a job not qualified to do . Because his dad was in charge

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2024, 08:46 AM
Your wrong

and yet despite this, this thread will turn into an 8 pager…

Cropley10
25-01-2024, 09:04 AM

Clement has lost one game since he got there, he has a few excellent players. His team are well organised now, by contrast to Hibs who have players away on international duty, and some new faces to repair the damage done by the worst manager in the UK, Lee Johnson.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2024, 12:24 PM
Clement has lost one game since he got there, he has a few excellent players. His team are well organised now, by contrast to Hibs who have players away on international duty, and some new faces to repair the damage done by the worst manager in the UK, Lee Johnson.

Wonder if LJ had much take up on his offer…

GreenGray
25-01-2024, 12:25 PM

What has he shown you to make you think he's a good manager?

Genuine question btw not trying to be snide.

jakeshibs
25-01-2024, 12:28 PM
He's not a good manager.

Another one who should be fired. ASAP.

why ? which decent manager would take the hibs role knowing that they have limited time to turn it around before they are sacked

jakeshibs
25-01-2024, 12:29 PM
Monty now has a worse record than Maloney had when he was sacked...

Correct me if I'm wrong

You are wrong

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2024, 12:34 PM
This just feels very meh again, we have enough decent players to cobble a win against most clubs, but rarely do, we just do enough to keep folk interested and hopefull that the win we do get is the start of something better.

It rarely is.

The team we are putting on the park is just a mishmash of players who are not comfortable in the system, not comfortable in the tactics, and not looking like they ever will be under this manager.

Now i know we have injuries and players away on international duty, but we were hardly pulling up any tree's when they were here.

Foley's money and contacts better be good, as with this current lot of players we are going nowhere.

WhileTheChief..
25-01-2024, 12:35 PM
If Montgomery can’t see the season out then that must spell the end of Kensell at Hibernian. Surely he can’t survive 3 duds in a row?

He has presided over a disaster over the last few years, destroying us from the position of relative strength we were in when we finishing 3rd.

FWIW I’d stick with the manager until the summer as the seasons over now if we’re honest, nothing really to be gained by changing at this stage IMO.

But if the axe does fall again, it’s absolutely crucial that Kensell is removed at the same time.

Agree with all of this.

jakeshibs
25-01-2024, 12:36 PM

The fans take no responsibility for sacking of managers as you say we were 3rd with Ross till the fans booed and asked for his removal and the board reacted as they continue to do when the fans show displeasure

Stubbsy90+2
25-01-2024, 12:39 PM
The fans take no responsibility for sacking of managers as you say we were 3rd with Ross till the fans booed and asked for his removal and the board reacted as they continue to do when the fans show displeasure

The fans take no responsibility for the sacking of the managers lol. The fans don’t sack them. We also weren’t 3rd with Ross when he was sacked. We were bottom half.

Tell you what, you go first and others will maybe follow and take some responsibility. You go start a thread apologising for sacking Jack Ross.

Just Alf
25-01-2024, 12:41 PM
Last night was too early to make any judgement on how things are going to pan out for Monty and the new players available to him.

In an ideal world they probably shouldn't have been put straight in (to a game most on here were expecting us to loose anyway)
You could see at times they were playing like they didn’t know where everyone would be at any particular point in time, seeing as they'd only just been introduced to each other it wasn't a surprise.

Still the same after a few games then my thoughts will be different.

wookie70
25-01-2024, 02:08 PM
I think the League stats of the last few managers are a good reflection of the styles they played and what worked and didn't. Three of them can't change history but Montgomery can. He needs to change or he won't last as his stats are comparable to Johnson who also has the top six fixtures against a harder mix of teams included. Add to that Johnson's Hibs scored more goals and I would say were better to watch. Johnson arguably never found the best style, formation or team but no-one could say he didn't change things to keep looking for it. Also for comparison this is McInnes record for all league games in the top tier with Killie, St Js and the Dons. I would describe Ross and McInnes as pragmatic managers and pragmatism gets results in this league and if that is what you want that is the type of manager we need to hire. For all you might not get the swashbuckling performances you usually see as many goals, are less frustrated and finish higher up the leagues. Their missing ingredient is the ability to pull of a great performance and win trophies

Manager
Games
Won
Drawn
Lost
PPG
GPG
GAPG
Goal Dif

Ross

Maloney

Johnson

Montgomery

McInnes

jakeshibs
25-01-2024, 02:11 PM
Come back Neil. All is forgiven.

Dont be daft, we were 8th in the league when he was at the helm dont forget

jakeshibs
25-01-2024, 02:18 PM
The fans take no responsibility for the sacking of the managers lol. The fans don’t sack them. We also weren’t 3rd with Ross when he was sacked. We were bottom half.

Tell you what, you go first and others will maybe follow and take some responsibility. You go start a thread apologising for sacking Jack Ross.

I wanted to stick by jack Ross as thought he would turn it around, but there you go absolutely no responsibility as you transfer it from any fans although we all know that is not true and witness the power of the fan base. If Man Utd fans were as impatient as we are, Sir Alex Ferguson would never have been given the opportunity to turn it around and achieve what he did with United

SickBoy32
25-01-2024, 02:22 PM
I wanted to stick by jack Ross as thought he would turn it around, but there you go absolutely no responsibility as you transfer it from any fans although we all know that is not true and witness the power of the fan base. If Man Utd fans were as impatient as we are, Sir Alex Ferguson would never have been given the opportunity to turn it around and achieve what he did with United

It was a board decision, that’s why they get the big bucks.

Did the fans hire Maloney / Johnson too?

Really bizarre view, a few jeers at his last game at Livi, by a minority of fans, and now the fans are to blame 😂

The crux of the matter is, Kensell and the Gordons don’t really know what they’re doing running the club.

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 02:32 PM
I think he'll be gone by the split if we're not top 6. David Gray to see out the season.

If I were a betting man that would be where I would put my money. Sad state of affairs.

wookie70
25-01-2024, 02:34 PM
Dont be daft, we were 8th in the league when he was at the helm dont forget That would be my prediction for the current side come mid February. I don't want any of the older managers back and still think Montgomery could have a future if he just changes direction in the short term and has a think about how to make his vision work in the club and environment he is working in.

Stubbsy90+2
25-01-2024, 03:21 PM

That’s exactly where we were when Jack Ross left but you’re in the next post saying fans should apologise for him being sacked :faf:

Hibernian Verse
25-01-2024, 03:23 PM
I often think we have the most bipolar fanbase in the country

Not So Young
25-01-2024, 04:42 PM
I think the League stats of the last few managers are a good reflection of the styles they played and what worked and didn't. Three of them can't change history but Montgomery can. He needs to change or he won't last as his stats are comparable to Johnson who also has the top six fixtures against a harder mix of teams included. Add to that Johnson's Hibs scored more goals and I would say were better to watch. Johnson arguably never found the best style, formation or team but no-one could say he didn't change things to keep looking for it. Also for comparison this is McInnes record for all league games in the top tier with Killie, St Js and the Dons. I would describe Ross and McInnes as pragmatic managers and pragmatism gets results in this league and if that is what you want that is the type of manager we need to hire. For all you might not get the swashbuckling performances you usually see as many goals, are less frustrated and finish higher up the leagues. Their missing ingredient is the ability to pull of a great performance and win trophies

Manager
Games
Won
Drawn
Lost
PPG
GPG
GAPG
Goal Dif

Ross

Maloney

Johnson

Montgomery

McInnes

So NM slightly better PPG than LJ.

I'm not in the "sack him " camp yet as I don't believe that changing the manager every season actually works. Progress and improvement are usually slow and gradual and take time. The million dollar question is how much time to allow, and I don't have the answer to that.

Also if it is decided to change who is available and who would the fans want. Ian Murray & Colin Cameron ?

xbar81
25-01-2024, 04:57 PM
Just something wrong with Hibs at the moment. Last time I really enjoyed myself was during the Lennon years, with the possibly exception of the cup final in 2021 which I thought we'd win. My last feel good factor was when we beat Hearts in March. ( i wasn't at tynecastle 2-2 comeback but I would have enjoyed that too).

I'm starting to get a bit meh about club football and I know this season will just be a middle of the table standard pish.

SQHib
25-01-2024, 06:21 PM

Hi CCM4LIFE - Genuine question here ; you are obvoulsy passionate about NM and his time at CCM ; I've seen your other posts and if I am wrong I aplogise but you seem to be looking in at Scottish Football since NM arrvied and can obviously see that it's not quite been plan sailing since he took over :wink:

I am genuinely interested in hearing from a CCM fan as to :

1. What changed when NM came in - its much spoken about with this 442 and his style of working from the back to create space in midfield when strikers press - was this / is this how CCM (and other teams play in Oz ? ) - did CCM under NM come up against a Oz equivalent of Livi or Ross County at home who just said ok 2 banks of 4 we wont press you try and break us down - what did he do ?

2. Was the pace of play for CCM so slow and methodical like chess like what NM seems to play here - although we started off first few ganmes quite open and cavalier but after a pasting at celtic we've gone more wary etc ? I watched the higlights of the game you won 6-1 in the play off and the tempo seems much more direct and attacking ?

3. Again without getting hung up on formations did he always play 2 Centre mids - what happened when teams played 3 or 4 in the middle and overran you - or did they not ?

4. Did you lose goals from trying to play out from the back rather than clearing your lines sometimes?

5. Have you seen Hibs play ? - is the pace and tempo the same as at CCM under NM ? Are we missing something that CCM "had" that made it work ?

5. Finally when CCM went to the bigger clubs in the A league away from home did NM just stick with same philosophy and formation and style of play - did he ever alter to say 3 Cms or 5 defenders either in games or during games ? Its an alien concept for us to go to the likes of Celtic Park or Ibrox and play 2 midfielders and 2 strikers - no one else in Scotland ( probs even UK) does it - not even the big teams ?

Genuinely interested in knowing ? Thanks

Saint Hibee
25-01-2024, 07:43 PM
As we were when Jack Ross got the boot. I know which of those two’s reign I found most exciting, and he didn’t wear cardigans.

JohnM1875
25-01-2024, 07:52 PM
1. What changed when NM came in - its much spoken about with this 442 and his style of working from the back to create space in midfield when strikers press - was this / is this how CCM (and other teams play in Oz ? ) - did CCM under NM come up against a Oz equivalent of Livi or Ross County at home who just said ok 2 banks of 4 we wont press you try and break us down - what did he do ?

This is exactly why it isn't working over here for me. Don't know for sure but I can't imagine teams sitting in with most players behind the ball against CCM. Happens majority of the games we play, especially at ER. Makes us so easy to play against, just keep your shape and let us pass it about in our half.

Add in that in general the level of defending in the A League is poorer from what I've seen.

Since452
25-01-2024, 08:36 PM
As we were when Jack Ross got the boot. I know which of those two’s reign I found most exciting, and he didn’t wear cardigans.

Hey! Not having that. Jack Ross's dress sense was sublime. I bet he smelled good as well.

Miss you Jack.

Since452
25-01-2024, 08:52 PM
SPFL Premiership
Form Guide
Points Last Six

Hearts 16
Rangers 15
Celtic 12
Kilmarnock 11
Aberdeen 10
St.Mirren 7
Ross County 7
St.Johnstone 6
Motherwell 6
Dundee 5
Hibernian 4
Livingston 2

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Since452;7560514]SPFL Premiership
Form Guide
Points Last Six

Hearts 16
Rangers 15
Celtic 12
Kilmarnock 11
Aberdeen 10
St.Mirren 7
Ross County 7
St.Johnstone 6
Motherwell 6
Dundee 5
Hibernian 4
Livingston 2[/QUOTE

Not unsurprising, but very worrying. I do look at this Hibs team and think 'How would they do in a relegation battle?' The answer is - not well at all. And if aren't very careful we'll get dragged into it if we aren't already.