PDA

View Full Version : Where have the goals went?

AugustaHibs
24-01-2024, 08:36 PM
Concerning how little amount of goals we are scoring under Montgomery.

We were awful under Johnson but atleast we were scoring goals, what positives are there at the moment?

Exuberance1875
24-01-2024, 08:39 PM
We aren’t even creating chances. But then again, with newall and jeggo trooping about midfield what can you expect

HendoDelivered
24-01-2024, 08:39 PM
My dug looks like he has more goalscoring capability than Vente atm.

Diclonius
24-01-2024, 08:40 PM
What are goals

Silky
24-01-2024, 08:41 PM

We were awful under Johnson but atleast we were scoring goals, what positives are there at the moment?

We wanted the change though. The "goals" weren't enough. There was more to it. We wanted better. We thought we could get better. Did we? Time will tell.

ancient hibee
24-01-2024, 08:47 PM

We didn’t score many at the start of the season but we went on to become third highest scorers in the league.It’s poor defending that’s got us where we are.

Winston Ingram
24-01-2024, 08:55 PM

Since452
24-01-2024, 08:56 PM

As simple as that.

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 08:56 PM
Absolute lack of quality in the final third. Getting in not a problem. Final ball and finishing diabolical.

Unseen work
24-01-2024, 08:57 PM
No intensity, no one near the forwards and the forwards hardly touch it

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Outside the Glasgow 2, the Edinburgh 2 are the 3rd and 4th in the goals for column

We've scored 25 in the 20 NM has been in charge. Hearts 28, Aberdeen 24 in the same period

We're 2nd worst for goals conceded. Joint with livi.

Deep lying centre midfielders offering very little protection, poor defending and goalkeeping errors are causing us far more problems

SaulGoodman
24-01-2024, 08:59 PM

How did you get access to Montys team talk?

Trinity Hibee
24-01-2024, 09:01 PM
Very very concerning is the lack of chances created. Big 2 games coming up against teams around us. NM is not making it easy for himself either by results or style of play

JohnM1875
24-01-2024, 09:02 PM
We aren’t even creating chances. But then again, with newall and jeggo trooping about midfield what can you expect

We created chances tonight. Youan through one on on at 0-0, Youan Header, Youan shot palmed over, Tavares in their box and a Butland wonder save and Emiliano was through in their box twice and defenders made blocks. We need to start taking these chances, especially against the OF

ancient hibee
24-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Outside the Glasgow 2, the Edinburgh 2 are the 3rd and 4th in the goals for column

We've scored 25 in the 20 NM has been in charge. Hearts 28, Aberdeen 24 in the same period

Deep lying centre midfielders offering very little protection, poor defending and goalkeeping errors are causing us far more problems
I’ve posted like this a few times but most on here don’t let facts get in the way of an opinion.

Carheenlea
24-01-2024, 09:04 PM
We created a good few chances tonight but lacked a clinical edge. Had as many chances as Ragers first half but go in 2 down and it’s effectively game over.

With that it never felt like we were really in it as a contest, and an overall non event.

Exuberance1875
24-01-2024, 09:07 PM
We created chances tonight. Youan through one on on at 0-0, Youan Header, Youan shot palmed over, Tavares in their box and a Butland wonder save and Emiliano was through in their box twice and defenders made blocks. We need to start taking these chances, especially against the OF

We had 3 shots on target and 3 off target. Barely strung 4 passes together, miles off it time and time again and battered tonight by the old firm again

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 09:09 PM
We created a good few chances tonight but lacked a clinical edge. Had as many chances as Ragers first half but go in 2 down and it’s effectively game over.

With that it never felt like we were really in it as a contest, and an overall non event.

Thought the first half was pretty even. They have two bits of quality and we just don’t have that. Then you’ll never get a better chance than the one right after half time. Score and give yourself a chance and a lift but we just looked beaten from that moment.

JohnM1875
24-01-2024, 09:09 PM
We had 3 shots on target and 3 off target. Barely strung 4 passes together, miles off it time and time again and battered tonight by the old firm again

So being through in their box getting a shot away and the defender blocking the shot doesn't count as a chance nah? We were pumped but we had a few good chances and we need to be taking them.

Carheenlea
24-01-2024, 09:15 PM
Thought the first half was pretty even. They have two bits of quality and we just don’t have that. Then you’ll never get a better chance than the one right after half time. Score and give yourself a chance and a lift but we just looked beaten from that moment.

Yes, that was the chance to get some confidence and momentum and make a proper contest, but the scorned chance just the story of our recent times and the rut we need to quickly dig out of.

Cat Stanton
24-01-2024, 09:28 PM
Gone, not went. Come on, let's keep our misery grammatical.

But either way, they have certainly disappeared. As has the creation of many chances.

It's slow, ponderous, football. Even at 0-2 tonight, there was absolutely no urgency to get forward. It seems like there hardly ever is.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2024, 09:31 PM

100% correct. Scoring isn’t the issue although that appears to be a developing problem. We are just too easy to play through. Midfield non existent and defence struggling to cope with runners coming at them.
Tonight we looked more like 4-2-4 than 4-4-2. Youan and Jair do zero defending and stay way too high when we don’t have the ball. Midfield two just get played round. They are not great at closing down anyway but the system isn’t helping them.
Conceded 32 goals this season to Hearts 20. Can’t compete if we are going to be that lazy in defending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2024, 09:34 PM
Interesting fact from Tom English on Sportsound tonight ( yes I know )

Hearts have only scored one more goal than us in the League even with the foreheid and they are sitting third it is the goals against column that is the difference

Trinity Hibee
24-01-2024, 09:35 PM

Hearts have only scored one more goal than us in the League even with the foreheid and they are sitting third it is the goals against column that is the difference

Interesting. It does tell you a good defence and being solid goes a long way in this league

Heisenberg
24-01-2024, 09:36 PM

It’s clearly our main issue and one that LJ and now Monty have failed to fix.

Real Emerald
24-01-2024, 09:49 PM
We’re not going to score goals playing like this. It’s anti football. Some of the worst football I’ve ever seen at Easter Road and that’s saying something.

Hibees1973
24-01-2024, 09:51 PM
The usual 3 shots on target.

It's normally 3 or 4 per game. Seldom more.

Pathetic.

Hibee Mac
24-01-2024, 10:13 PM
Style of play

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 10:16 PM
The usual 3 shots on target.

It's normally 3 or 4 per game. Seldom more.

Pathetic.

Chances weren’t an issue tonight. You won’t get much more clear cut than what we got in the first 50 minutes of the game. You need to score one of them to give yourself a bit confidence. We look incapable of doing that.

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2024, 10:20 PM
Chances weren’t an issue tonight. You won’t get much more clear cut than what we got in the first 50 minutes of the game. You need to score one of them to give yourself a bit confidence. We look incapable of doing that.

New boy doesn’t give Butland a sniff at 0-2 then it’s game on

Things can only get better

neil7908
24-01-2024, 10:20 PM

Nah. If we'd gone 433 tonight we'd have a forward off for a midfield 3 of Newell, Levitt and Jeggo.

I'll accept that this may help us to concede less goals, but someone will have to explain how one less attacker being replaced in the starting XI by Jeggo will score us more goals.

B.H.F.C
24-01-2024, 10:24 PM
Nah. If we'd gone 433 tonight we'd have a forward off for a midfield 3 of Newell, Levitt and Jeggo.

I'll accept that this may help us to concede less goals, but someone will have to explain how one less attacker being replaced in the starting XI by Jeggo will score us more goals.

Formation had nothing to do with our inability to score tonight.

Tyler Durden
24-01-2024, 10:27 PM

It’s not that complicated

By your logic we should play 2-3-5?

neil7908
24-01-2024, 10:28 PM
It’s not that complicated

By your logic we should play 2-3-5?

If it's not that complicated then go ahead and explain how Jeggo in for a attacking players gets us more goals.

Tyler Durden
24-01-2024, 10:35 PM
If it's not that complicated then go ahead and explain how Jeggo in for a attacking players gets us more goals.

If done with some competence, we’d be more compact, there aren’t massive gaps between the thirds. We can actually retain possession and get the ball to our attacking players.

We’d have some balance and arguably we can get more players into the box. Midfielders can run beyond the number 9.

What was the point of playing Maolida tonight when we couldn’t get him involved or get the ball to him or Vente? The one time we did it came from a quick break, Megwa to Youan….. something we rarely seem to attempt.

We are literally the only team in the league who play 4-4-2. Having more attacking players is not helping us score more goals

neil7908
24-01-2024, 10:45 PM
If done with some competence, we’d be more compact, there aren’t massive gaps between the thirds. We can actually retain possession and get the ball to our attacking players.

We’d have some balance and arguably we can get more players into the box. Midfielders can run beyond the number 9.

What was the point of playing Maolida tonight when we couldn’t get him involved or get the ball to him or Vente? The one time we did it came from a quick break, Megwa to Youan….. something we rarely seem to attempt.

We are literally the only team in the league who play 4-4-2. Having more attacking players is not helping us score more goals

But none of our midfielders run beyond the number 9 or score goals consistently.

We don't have McGinn, Allan and McGeough any more. The midfield 3 that would have started tonight have no one in them to break beyond attackers or any history of being consistent goal threats.

Joe Newell has scored 3 SPL goals in his entire Hibs career.

We've played 433 plenty of times against Rangers and scored **** all. I remember loads giving LJ pelters on here for not 'having a go' against the Old Firm.

The squad just isn't great right now and we're playing against a far superior team.

433 with our current options makes zero difference tonight.

Tyler Durden
24-01-2024, 10:51 PM
But none of our midfielders run beyond the number 9 or score goals consistently.

We don't have McGinn, Allan and McGeough any more. The midfield 3 that would have started tonight have no one in them to break beyond attackers or any history of being consistent goal threats.

We've played 433 plenty of times against Rangers and scored **** all. I remember loads giving LJ pelters on here for not 'having a go' against the Old Firm.

The squad just isn't great right now and we're playing against a far superior team.

We could have started with Jeggo, Newell and Marcondes if we chose to.

I’m not suggesting we win the game. But it would very obviously have been the right approach.

Cat Stanton
24-01-2024, 11:08 PM

All fair. But is the system not also partly at fault? My memory of Levitt at Dundee Utd was playing in an advanced role behind the strikers, creating chances and scoring goals. In this system he's forever picking the ball up from outside his own box (and often then giving it away). Newell does the same. As discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum, Vente is a decent striker often playing as a crap midfielder. And it's slow, ponderous stuff that never stretches other teams. I was really positive about the manager when he first came in, but I am beginning to worry quite a lot - and it's his (inflexible) system that is creating the worries.

Haymaker
24-01-2024, 11:45 PM
They've gone in our goal

Tambo
25-01-2024, 06:50 AM
The first few games we created a good few chances under Monty, recently it has been shocking, along with performances.

Nicho87
25-01-2024, 07:00 AM
He talks about big moment every game

Usually that we didn’t take them.

But it seems to him that pass marks is getting 2 clear goal scoring opportunities and if we don’t get them, that’s ok.

It’s a mental thought process, we should be adopting shoot on sight policy with the forwards we have. It’s ridiculous that we are so slow and ponderous and always seem to want to score the perfect Man City / Barca type goal. If Monty adapted to have one or two more styles of play he might help the team out never mind himself

tamh
25-01-2024, 06:47 PM
100% correct. Scoring isn’t the issue although that appears to be a developing problem. We are just too easy to play through. Midfield non existent and defence struggling to cope with runners coming at them.
Tonight we looked more like 4-2-4 than 4-4-2. Youan and Jair do zero defending and stay way too high when we don’t have the ball. Midfield two just get played round. They are not great at closing down anyway but the system isn’t helping them.
Conceded 32 goals this season to Hearts 20. Can’t compete if we are going to be that lazy in defending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ye..... 4 2 4 only two in midfield

wookie70
25-01-2024, 06:59 PM
We may be 4th top scorers in the league but 7 of our 26 goals came in 4 games before Montgomery. Even then the two teams below us could overtake our goals scored if they score at their usual rate in the games they have in hand and Motherwell in eight have only scored one less. I'd say goals scored overall poor, Goals scored since Monty arrived even poorer and goals conceded very poor under both managers. Only SDG has a good record this season using any metric. We probably score enough under Montgomery to have a chance of top six, no way, imo, we get 3rd or 4th if we continue playing the same system. I think we will end up around 8th, maybe even lower, unless something changes or we bring another two or three in during this window. We are a very poor "team" and I use that term advisedly.

xbar81
25-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Where have the goals went??

Behind our keeper.

greenlex
25-01-2024, 07:28 PM
We’ve conceded 32 goals in 21 games. 11 of them against the old firm over 3 games and managed to concede 6 in another two games against Livi and Motherwell. That’s nearly half our conceded goals are over 5 games out of 21. The lost games outside of the old firm were always by 1 goal.